Other Random question of the day

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

Random question of the day:

Have you ever met someone, whether online or in real life, who could be considered a sociopath or a psychopath?

Online. Someone who acted like a real creep towards me on another site and openly talked about harming animals. It was pretty awful.

In a vacuum sure (not a literal vacuum though, both would be pretty useless there), though there might be downsides depending on other implications for your physiognomy.

Witcher Book vs Game vs Netflix series? Not sure about fights but there are people that only prefer one over the other two and are vocal about it.
source vs adaptation is a common problem in many fandoms, actually

I remember there was a huge amount of wank about Elementary from Sherlock fandom back when Elementary had been announced but hadn't started airing yet. A lot of "this show is definitely homophobic because they're 100% going to make Sherlock/Watson canon now that Watson's a woman (and only changed Watson to a woman because they didn't want to make it gay)" and even some outright racism about Lucy Liu. There may well have been some homophobia from some Sherlock Holmes fans that were looking forward to Elementary, too (along the lines of "you're just jealous because your slash ship was never gonna go canon LOL") but I didn't see much; that may be because by that point I'd bounced from Tumblr and didn't come back until years later.

From what I've heard Sherlock fandom has tried to pick fights with a lot of other fandoms, though, especially for using tags that they think should only belong to BBC Sherlock stuff. Teen Wolf and Downton Abbey posted in the tag #season three when their third seasons were announced and Sherlock fandom got mad about it (I mostly know about the last one because they tried to spam the Downton Abbey tag in revenge but wound up posting a bunch of stuff to #downtown abbey); SHINee fandom posted in the #sherlock tag when SHINee's song "Sherlock (Clue + Note)" came out and they got very upset about that too.

But BBC Sherlock vs Elementary back in 2012 is the first thing I think of when I think about fandom vs fandom fights.

(Runner up might be Marvel vs DC? Though that feels more jokey these days than anything.)

Percy jackson and the olympians vs harry potter.

For anyone who’s missed it there is a debate on who’d win percy or harry and I don’t know where it started just that it blew up. And has been a thing for a few months

Les Mis fans vs. Stranger Things, it had something to do with the influx of Enjolras(a man who is either gay or ace) x fem!reader, because of an actor playing some rrole in stranger things and in les mis.

Depends on the show. Like if the show is all serious and what not it’d make 0 sense but if it’s a horror comedy thing probably

Yeah I regretted inviting some classmates. They made a mess and left.

The only time I invited people was when I was younger (in elementary school) of course from my elementary school self there was no regrets.

However I haven’t invited anyone over since then. I am not most social In real life.

Not to my memory. I'm mostly secluded and it was hard to ever convince my parents in the past to let me bring anyone over period. So it was mostly only just my close friend at the time, and overall I don't think I ever had a bad experience with her over at my house at the time. Me going over to other folks homes, though, now I regret almost every single one....

I mean, it could, but that's because tons of things could and it's really nowhere near as simple as that.

Historically, there's been a kind of pressure for trans people to fit a particular narrative, which is a sort of... Ideal (for cis people's understanding) Binary Trans Experience. "I've known forever that I was Really A Girl/Really A Boy because I always liked the things that society says my Trans Gender is supposed to like and disliked the things my Birth Gender is supposed to like even when I was a child, and knew I Didn't Want To Be A Boy/Wasn't A Girl."

And that happens! It does, absolutely! I would never want to discount those experiences, because they are real. Which is why, yes, someone who was assigned male at birth liking feminine things could have something to do with transness. But it could also not. Because the trans people with those experiences are 100% valid, but the expectation that trans people have that experience is a result of patriarchal expectations about "these things are for girls, these things are for boys, you're not supposed to like or be good at the wrong things" that people try to enforce on us from a very young age.

It's like, remember all the panic about things like "if you let your son wear pink, it will turn him GAY!" and stuff like that? It's the same thing and it's ridiculous across the board. If a boy likes pink or a girl hates wearing skirts their parents don't need to despair that Oh No Their Kid's Not Straight. That's not how that works! And that's also not how gender works, but like, anything other than heterosexuality is also seen as a failure state for a guy being "correctly" masculine or a woman being "properly" a woman.

It's never just been the case that a trans person can point to a thing they like or dislike, or have liked or disliked since childhood, and go "this is the thing that proves I'm trans." Being trans is the thing that makes someone trans, and completely cis people can like things that their gender is not "supposed" to like. The yearning for something that you're not supposed to like can be tied to also yearning to be able to be acknowledged as that other gender, absolutely, but it's also arbitrary and stupid to assign liking certain things to One Gender Only anyway.

And obviously it only becomes more complicated and also more obvious when you look at nonbinary people. Look. I'm nonbinary. My parents thought I was a girl. For most of my childhood, I thought I was a girl. I didn't have that "and when I was five years old I Knew" moment that is "preferable" for a trans person. And like, if you try to connect my being nonbinary to the things I like... Sure? Maybe you could if you really wanted to? But that's just because I liked things that kids like as a kid, and things that people like as an adult, and the gender distinction of Things is stupid. I played with Barbies and Polly Pockets (For Girls!) and Legos (neutral? For Boys since they started releasing For Girls sets at one point?) and Littlest Pet Shop and Pokemon (neutral?) and Hot Wheels (For Boys!) when I was like... 2-12 years old. I've never really liked pink that much and prefer to have my hair really short, but I like earrings and some makeup and am happy to be a soprano singer. I like wearing tank tops, skirts, suits and ties, hoodies. I don't like sports, can't stand the taste of alcohol, don't know how a car works, and love D&D and video games.

And like... is any of the above tied to me being nonbinary? In some ways, probably, yeah. Certain aspects of that tie into my dysphoria (the short hair and suits things, though even if I were a lesbian, a lot of lesbians like those things as well!), or don't tie into it in ways that might not be the case if I were binary trans (would I love being a soprano or sometimes wearing skirts if I were a trans man? maybe not! maybe I would, though!). But it's way more complicated than that and, like, some of it is just because I'm a human being who likes a lot of different things and was lucky enough to not have parents who would freak out at me for not dressing "femininely enough" or wanting to play with Hot Wheels or watching a bunch of Power Rangers as a kid. And would I be any less nonbinary if I had never played with Hot Wheels as a kid, or liked pink, or preferred keeping my hair longer, or wasn't a "gamer"? There's not a scale that needs to be balanced for someone to be nonbinary, any more than there's a List Of Feminine Things that a DMAB person liking too many of flips a switch and hmm, probably a trans girl actually.

But some trans girls are gonna like feminine things. Sometimes that's even going to have some connection to them being trans girls in some way. And some cis boys and nonbinary people are gonna like feminine things too, because at the end of the day, they're just things, and we're the ones who decide that they're "feminine things" and that therefore certain genders Should or Should Not like them. And sometimes that can make it harder for someone when they sit there wondering, "I'm not sure if I'm trans or not; how can I figure that out?" There's not one simple, easy answer, and it can take years to figure yourself out sometimes.

But I guess my last corollary is that we need to make space for people to experiment and people to realize they're wrong and have it not be a big deal. Because a boy should be allowed to go "I like all these feminine things; am I a trans girl?" -- to ask himself that question, really take a look at himself, feel safe doing so, experiment with himself and how he wants to be seen, and feel like he's allowed to do all that no matter what the answer is at the end. Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe something else entirely. Making it safe for trans kids and people to question those things, realize those things, and come out will also make it safer and more comfortable for cis people to question those things and go "actually, no, I'm cis." Treating gender questioning as a threat actually ironically just makes things way worse for cis people too, because being not totally gender conforming then starts being seen as a threat.

I mean, I'm not even sure his handling of The Last Jedi (and I want to be extra fair and note that he only had anything to do with TLJ, not any of the rest of the sequel trilogy) damaged his reputation that badly. Among some people, sure. But as someone who doesn't really care about Star Wars and never watched any of the sequel trilogy, even if he really did a terrible job with TLJ (which I have no opinion on personally), that might just say he's not great at directing something from a big already-existing franchise, or the middle movie of a trilogy, or whatever.

I think, like most directors, Rian Johnson is a good director but is hit or miss for me personally. Brick and Looper are really good, even if Brick specifically was not my type of movie. The Knives Out movies are good, and did incredibly well despite coming out after TLJ, so I think that by itself shows that Johnson's reputation wasn't damaged all that badly. Like most directors, him being the director of something isn't a draw for me personally, but I don't think it can be said he's bad at it even if some of his stuff isn't to my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back