Other Quitting my search

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Random Fox

Roleplay Availability
I just got my hopes crushed yet again. The Roleplay never even got started. I think I'm just gonna step away from the website for a while. It shouldn't be this hard to find a partner.

That's fair- I've been through countless searches, trying to find specific fandom partners. I once took a break for two years before I came back. I hope the break goes well!

Not sure if I'll even come back. I've been here for a while now and nothing.
I have been on and off the site for years, I have experience with rps starting, running and dying.
I have experienced when a idea never picks up.

What I offer isn't advice or anything but I shall tell you what I do...
Recycle ideas I really want to write and try something different. 90% of my shit is medieval fantasy. When none would join that I made it a isekai then a previous idea no one wanted to touch would suddenly boom all because of the word "isekai" being in the title. Mind you its been years now since I could post any old thing of mine and get between 3 or 7 players reliably/quickly.

I guess why I posted was to ask about the roleplay that didn't start and I'd tell you if I'm into it or not. Either way you do you fox, don't let the internet get you down.

Trust me, man; You're not alone on the matter. I've been on this site for about 4 or 5 years now, and I've really struggled with finding partners that are willing to stick around during that time. I've encountered so many issues of pitching my roleplay ideas only for them to not end up getting anywhere because no one will respond to my pitches and on the rare occasion I do get anyone to respond to my pitches, they end up ghosting right after we've started planning the roleplay or we've only gotten a few posts into the roleplay.

So know that you're not alone with these struggles, and if you feel that stepping away from RPN will do you good, go ahead and step away from RPN for a while. Like Neon Chilli said, don't let the internet get you down.

You have to accept the fact that everyone else isn’t a exactly like you.

T The Random Fox
So, I 'd like to offer some consolidation that the problem isn't expressly you or your RPs. But also, I'd like to point out that the issues don't lie solely on the site. It's easy to blame the venue. But really, that isn't the problem. It won't matter where you go, you aren't going to find your prospects to be much better than what we have here on RPN. In fact, having been on a dozen roleplaying sites over the decades, I can tell you that your prospects elsewhere will very likely be worse than what you've encountered here. RPN actually has a lot more traffic than most other RP sites of its kind.

...It shouldn't be this hard to find a partner.

The thing is, it IS that hard. There are lots of reasons, but in the end I chalk it off to people being overly picky and having no commitment to their RP ideas. And generally, I think a lot of people like the IDEA of roleplaying but don't actually want to put in the time and effort that it requires.

Thet's why you always get everyone chiding in with their interest, and then that's it. No follow through. Welcome to the fickle and flakey nature of this latest generation of roleplayers.

Last edited:
T The Random Fox
So, I 'd like to offer some consolidation that the problem isn't expressly you or your RPs. But also, I'd like to point out that the issues don't lie solely on the site. It's easy to blame the venue. But really, that isn't the problem. It won't matter where you go, you aren't going to find your prospects to be much better than what we have here on RPN. In fact, having been on a dozen roleplaying sites over the decades, I can tell you that your prospects elsewhere will very likely be worse than what you've encountered here. RPN actually has a lot more traffic than most other RP sites of its kind.

The thing it, it IS that hard. There are lots of reasons, but in the end I chalk it off to people being overly picky and having no commitment to their RP ideas. And generally, I think a lot of people like the IDEA of roleplaying but don't actually want to put in the time and effort that it requires.

Thet's why you always get everyone chiding in with their interest, and then that's it. No follow through. Welcome to the fickle and flakey nature of this latest generation of roleplayers.
I'm definitely guilty of falling into the "I'm picky" camp myself. I blame my short attention span - for something to truly keep my interest I have to be REALLY into it. Because of this I have more or less accepted that I won't find too many RP partners.

Anyway, Fox, whatever your difficulties are in finding partners it's probably not your fault. There's a lot of different factors why finding partners can be tough.

I'm definitely guilty of falling into the "I'm picky" camp myself. I blame my short attention span - for something to truly keep my interest I have to be REALLY into it. Because of this I have more or less accepted that I won't find too many RP partners.
I'm picky in that way, myself. I have very few fandoms, and the ones I do have are... well, dated. The genres I'm into are pretty specific, too. Although in my opinion, I feel that some of my non-fandom wants are actually quite simple and generic. And I'm always puzzled as to why I can't find things like them. There are a lot of popular themes that I avidly avoid. So trying to keep me interested in settings outside my comfort zone is an uphill battle. To all these ends, I too am very picky as well.

But when I state that people are being overly picky, I mean more about when they actually engage in trying to start an RP with someone (or a group). Like, the constraints of what the other person (or GM) wants out of the other writer(s) doesn't allow for enough creative freedom and "wiggle room", so to speak. In 1x1s, I've seen where people want this checklist of ideals from the other person. And in groups, the concept is either so broad that it lacks any kind of driving focus, or its too specific and doesn't allow for much else besides a cliche collection of tired tropes.

But these reasons really do pale in comparison to what I truly feel is the heaviest, and most pronounced reason that RPs fail.
I'm gonna keep saying it: People like the idea of roleplaying, but they dont like to put in the actual work of writing a good story.

And specifically in group RPs, I feel like the "GMs" tend to go into their RT half-cocked and not actually ready to receive and lead a group through their "story".

Last edited:
I don't think anyone blames you for your frustration. It's safe to say that most of us have been in your situation before. This hobby, as wonderful and rewarding as it can be when you find the perfect partner or storyline, is more often than not very hit or miss.

Ghosting happens. Either during the planning stage, or sometimes only a handful of posts in. In an ideal world, most people would be mature enough to tell you when they aren't interested or feeling it, but that's unfortunate not typically the case. Or worse, you find your ideal writing partner, but they've already filled the plot/are at capacity for writing partners. It's always a blow.

I'll fully admit that I'm also one of the picky ones; as a roleplay partner, I'm incredibly difficult to hook. I know this about myself, which is why I can also confidently say that I haven't had much luck on RPN so far, either. But.

I'd like to point out a few things. First, roleplay absolutely has low periods/periods where there's a lull in activity or interest. We're in one right now. Most colleges have just started up again after their break, as have most high schools. Businesses are pretty busy around Q1 and Q2 as well, so for those of us who work FT, our ability to take on new storylines and partners dwindles significantly right around this time, too.

I'd consider casting your net more widely on 1x1 sites other than RPN, and if you're rely discouraged, giving your search a rest for a month or two. Spring break and summer/December seem to be the best times for a surge in rp.

Ultimately, it's up to you. Maybe a short break will make all the difference.

As a person who’s got their requests picked up and dropped on multiple sites and many, many occasions, this is the norm unfortunately. So whenever I see get down on themselves about having no partners or not getting any hits/comments on their searches, I feel for them. I don’t think that you’re doing anything wrong. It’s just a really competitive place. There’s too many options and other role-players that we end up drowning each other out.

As for ghosting or people leaving, there could be so many factors that lead the other person to make such a decision - time constraints, IRL responsibilities, mental health, etc. I wouldn’t take it personally. We can’t control the external world, but we choose our reactions to it. If you’re not getting interests in your own searches, try looking at other people’s search and messaging those you find interesting. There’s more things to do rather than sitting idle and thinking the worst.

I’m not an overly picky person, but I do tend to be long winded. In this day and age, when people want their information quick and easy, my style of posting walls of texts is a deterrent to people. That I’m aware of. But it’s okay. I know the type of partners that I’m looking for also prefer the same style as I do. We can’t please everyone. All that does is drain you. I’ve more or less learned that it’s okay to stick to your guns even if it ends up in rejection.

Taking a step back is never a bad idea. It allows for time to reflect and shift your focus onto the more positive things. I do sincerely hope things get better. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back