• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
“Oh, you two aren’t interrupting anything big right now. Just normal business, though I wouldn’t mind taking a look at that sword of yours, strictly from a blacksmith interest,” Marcel chuckled, sitting down on his stool, before almost immediately standing back up. “Oh yes, I was good friends with her father especially, which reminds me, Tamsin. I’m glad you visited for more than one reason.”

He moved over to a safe tucked away in the back, and upon putting in the combination, he took out a dagger with a decorated hilt. Far nicer than most of what he worked on. “This was actually your father’s, and apparently he had intended to give it to you, but then…” he trailed off, the unspoken words needing not be said. “For some reason, he wanted to save it as a thirtieth birthday present to you. Some kind of family heirloom.”

Tamsin perked up, one brow raised as she took in the sight of the dagger Marcel handed over. “I..I don’t know what to say. Thank you for giving this to me.” She gave a glance towards Varick, before stashing the dagger away. To look at later. Did it mean something? Did the fact her father was saving it for her thirtieth birthday, one that would be coming up at the dawn of spring in a few months, mean something?

“But speaking of my father, did he ever tell you anything about his family? His parents?” She looked hopeful at Marcel, but her hopes dissipated with a look he gave her.

“I’m sorry, but he was very closed up about his family. It was obvious he didn’t like them all that much, but I don’t know why. Just said that his father was a real piece of work, and his mother died when he was very young.”

Well, her grandmother being dead when her father was so young was new to her, but nothing much else.

~~~

Once again, Malina had the urge to say no, but she paused before she answered Kirsikka at all. Wouldn’t it be a great opportunity to help strike the Council at its heart, before blowing a kiss goodbye?

Malina groaned, realizing that she was going to say yes to Kirsikka’s demands. Again. “Okay, fine. But I’m not doing this for you.” Like there was any doubt in that. How could there be when the two women still wanted to kill each other? “I’m doing this for Mikhail.” That was a given.

“And I’m doing this for me,” she continued, the fire blazing behind her eyes once more. “I want to laugh in the face of the Council as their world burns around them.” And Malina was certain Kirsikka wanted the same thing, or something similar.

They both wanted to snuff out the Council of Light.

The blacksmith was entrusted with a family heirloom. ‘Cursed.’ Varick knew it likely wasn’t. Nonetheless, he couldn’t help but assume this dagger was Not Good. Things like this never were when they cropped up. They always led to Something Terrible. He didn’t know what this was going to be, but he didn’t like it.

He was pretty sure they weren’t lucky and that was the magical dagger that could kill Dravon. Things were rarely that easy.

He said nothing about it, of course. Tamsin asked desperately for information on her family, but the blacksmith knew nothing. Varick knew it really wasn’t his place to ask questions, but he was getting annoyed with the non-answers from around here. Apologetic smiles and sympathy weren’t going to get them anywhere.

“He ever mention where he was from? Generally, or specifically?” If they couldn’t find information from these people, they could always try and hunt down the rest of Tamsin’s family, wherever they were. If they were still alive. “Maybe Tamsin’s grandfather is still alive out that way.” Apparently, her grandmother wasn’t.

If they weren’t, perhaps the people there would at least have more to say about the family, having lived with them for years.

~***~

Kirsikka didn’t need Malina’s pithy reasons for why she’d make the portal – she just needed the portal. Still, she bit back a comment at them, and managed not to roll her eyes, as she picked up one of the mirrors. “Use one to make the portal there, and another one to make my portal back. They won’t be able to follow it back if the signature is through the mirrors.”

She’d have one Malina could link to for the way back, but working through them ought to make it more difficult to track back, regardless. And Malina did with no further arguments, letting Kirsikka step through and into the Citadel Dungeons, near a window. ‘Decent enough reflective surface.’ Also right in the line of sight of a few guards, but the portal closed right after.

Kirsikka heard the uncertain question, “Who are you?”

She could have lied. “Wydan’s friend,” perhaps that was a lie, “I’m here to save him.”

There was a pause, as the guards considered if she was telling the truth – and then they were dead. They should have acted quicker than that, but Kirsikka was on a time limit herself, and she let the ice spill out, and rush ahead of her, coating the walls and the ground in ice, making cell bars brittle.

Enough to break, as Wydan did as soon as he could, hands unbound, no doubt because he was indeed assigned to find her for the Council of Light. “Kirsikka!” he gasped out as others, drawn by the creeping ice, spilled into the hall. Others shouted for help, and ran away, while she started to hear the sound of swords being drawn. “I didn’t dare to hope—”

“You should have continued not to hope.” She said flatly, “You betrayed me, Wydan.”

“I had no choice. Please, we’re both Visionaries of the Ordo Sors, they’re going to execute me.”

“I’m glad they saved you for me.”

His eyes went wide, and such was how he froze when Kirsikka pulled at that old hatred and let it flow right in the heart of the Council of Light’s power. Their cells broke apart, their guards, but not a single prisoner. She stopped short of pushing it that far to either side, but far enough to shatter the metal bars so the enemies of the Council could walk free, if they so desired.

All, except Wydan, of course.

He fell, dead, as Kirsikka hit her knees, breathing hard and shivering as stunned figures started to hesitantly step out of cells. “Go,” she rasped, “while you have a chance.” Maybe not a great one, but it was enough to convince several to move, as Kirsikka waited for her portal back.

Marcel sat on his stool and thought for a second, brushing his fingers over his hint of a beard that came from not shaving for a day. “I do remember him mentioning fetching water and food in the cold a lot growing up.”

Tamsin perked up at this information. She didn’t know where her father came from, so this information was new to her. “Do you know if he came from the extreme north, like in the Phenes region?”

He thought for another moment, before nodding. “I think so. He did mention traveling down to Antalya, and soon after that is when he met your mother.” Tamsin smiled at the little story, even if it wasn’t much. It was something.

It was a piece of her parents’ memories.

“I can only assume he meant that area, as I don’t really think the other northern regions get quite as cold as that does.”

If this was true, it meant that after visiting Varick’s friend, they would have to venture back up north. But, if it meant actual answers…

Marcel laid a gentle hand on Tamsin’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Tams. I wish I could offer you more answers. You know how your father was stubborn about some things, and his past was one of them. Even when we had a drink together, he only really ever talked about how proud he was of you and your mother.”

Tamsin smiled at the kind words, the feeling of tears prickling on the back of her eyes.

“Speaking of which, I hope the reason you’ve been gone for so long is because you’ve been traveling, showing the continent that beautiful voice of yours. Are you performing here during your visit? I must watch you!”

She nodded with a slight chuckle. “That is exactly what I’ve been doing, and I’ll be performing tonight at that first inn you see when you walk into the city.”

~~~

Malina made the portal with the mirror, as agreed, and simply sat back and watched Kirsikka go through the portal to create undeniable chaos.

Always trust a woman’s rage.

Even if Malina was the reason Wydan betrayed Kirsikka. Nevertheless, he was weak for doing so. He folded all too easily and turned on his friends at the first sight of danger. And now he would pay the ultimate price for it. What a fool.

Malina created the portal back, and watched, with her flames surrounding her in case Kirsikka’s powers came through the portal, as the Council froze both literally and in fear, and their enemies walked free.

Enemies she had helped put behind bars, but she couldn’t bring herself to care. Why should she? For all the lies they fed her…to make her feel like she was worth something. But you’re not, are you?

Swallowing the self-hatred, she stepped back to allow Kirsikka through the portal, not once saying a word.

“Destruction on my land so early in the morning?” Mikhail tsked as he walked out onto his lawn, his extravagant deep purple house robe lined with gold trim wrapped around his body, and a cup of tea held in one hand. “But I suppose I’m not surprised.”

“I guess I shouldn’t be either,” Drazhan said, following behind Mikhail, with his normal clothes on, but also holding a cup of tea.

North. The opposite direction they were heading. Varick managed not to sigh at the thought of trekking all the way back. ‘One thing I envy magic for.’ He knew mages could just pop in and out of wherever. He was rarely jealous of it, since there were Primals all over handling various matters, and some did have areas they preferred.

There were Primals in the north dealing with issues for the people, so Varick didn’t often have to go there unless he just wandered that way. Now he had to go there.

The topic turned away, and Varick did wonder if there was anything else that Marcel knew, which he wasn’t saying. Something he didn’t realize was important. ‘Likely not.’ Thirtieth birthday was strange. Usually these gifts came into their power at puberty or adulthood. Thirty was an unusual choice for a curse.

They’d find out soon enough, he suspected, what it all meant.

Hopefully they’d reach the Northern areas before Tamsin turned 30, though. Varick wasn’t sure exactly how close she was to that.

He didn’t address that, though. “You missed her last night,” he told Marcel, “I’d catch her tonight.” They still had some traveling to do, and it seemed this town likely had very little to offer for Tamsin’s family history.

~***~

Kirsikka managed to pull herself up to her feet as the portal manifested. She managed to step through without shaking too much. The blast had been nothing like Mont Pellinor, and was all the more difficult for that. She’d exercised restraint, holding it back to keep the prisoners alive, and it almost felt like she’d pulled it back against herself in doing so.

Once through and back in the bright sunlight of the morning, she did envy Malina her fire as she wrapped her arms around herself to try and hold in any heat, before the morning was disturbed by Mikhail and Drazhan.

She sighed, the breath coming out as if it were mid-winter. “It was necessary to start scrying,” she said, shutting both eyes. She really needed a new eyepatch. The one was just annoying anymore, but she couldn’t just keep it constantly closed for some reason. “Wydan would have found me if I started looking, so he had to die. The Council wasn’t holding him in bonds, so I think they were still hoping to use him against me.”

And he was going along with it.

She was angrier at him than she was sad for his loss, but the sorrow would come. He’d been the one who helped her escape in the chaos after Mont Pellinor, when she woke up to the fact the Ordo Sors still surrendered. He still should have known not to betray her. Death waited around every turn.

He could have died with his dignity intact.

“Sorry I didn’t mention that.” She added as she took in a deep breath to regroup. Then again, what other use would she have for Malina if it didn’t involve violence?

“Well, then it’s settled. I’ll make sure to come see you tonight, and tomorrow, you must come over to the house for a meal. I won’t take no for an answer, and you know Anette wouldn’t either if she caught wind of you being in town.”

Tamsin chuckled at the memory of Anette. When she left town, Marcel and Anette had been newlyweds, and it seemed their relationship was as strong as ever, much to her pleasure. It was bittersweet, in a way. She hadn’t been there to see them for ten years, and everything that may have happened.

“And you’ll get to meet our two little ones, with one more on the way,” he continued, a proud smile on his face.

“I’ll definitely have to see them! I tell you what, if I can’t manage to come by tomorrow, I promise to stop by before we leave town.” Everything was still up in the air, and she didn’t feel comfortable making promises she didn’t know she could keep yet.

“Alright, I’ll hold ya to that promise.” Marcel leaned an elbow on his knee. “Is there anything else I can help answer? Sorry I don’t have a lot to tell ya.”

Tamsin shook her head. “No, I don’t have anything.” She glanced over at Varick, allowing him a moment for any additional question or comment.

~~~

Drazhan frowned when he saw Kirsikka come back through the portal, body heat depleted from the spell. He remembered the effects of using such power, but he couldn’t offer to help warm her up by innocent means of an embrace. Not after the words they exchanged.

As much as he wanted to.

Mikhail sighed. “You’re right. They would’ve used him against you. It’s only smart to be one step ahead and get rid of the nuisance before he became a problem.” Such as potentially revealing Mikhail’s location, while looking for Kirsikka.

“Come, you need to get your energy back before you attempt to use magic again.” He motioned her towards him, and thus towards his house. “I have warm croissants ready for both of you, along with some tea. It’ll give you your strength back for whatever shenanigan is up next.”

Malina couldn’t help but to roll her eyes at her brother, but nonetheless, she headed back inside for that warm croissant and cup of tea.

‘Shouldn’t turn down free meals.’ Although Varick wasn’t sure he was invited along with Tamsin. It was another of those odd situations. With Marcel being friendly, he also wasn’t sure if he should ask. That would add an awkward taint to the conversation. He could just…show up. But what if they didn’t want him?

Varick hated these social niceties when he wasn’t sure where he stood in it.

There was little more to ask on the actual subject of things. Varick considered what else he might be able to ask. Family name was unlikely; Tamsin would hold one, and she had not offered one. Few save nobility had that, and Tamsin certainly wasn’t nobility.

Names of family might have been possible, but he imagined it wouldn’t help as much as Tamsin asking around about him in the town. People would either know his name, or they wouldn’t. Marcel didn’t know anything about the dagger, or he would have said more, so he didn’t recognize enchantments…if he even could.

So, Varick shook his head. “No, nothing I can think of. Thank you for your help, Marcel. Seems we just have to head up north to find out more.” He pushed away from the wall, “We’ll see you around.” That much was true, at least, “I think we have a few more things to look into here.” Whether or not it led to anything was debatable, but there was more to do before they decided to leave this town behind entirely.

~***~

Kirsikka took up the other two mirrors, aware she was unlikely to get her strength back enough that day. She’d not rested since she began the process of creating them, and she still felt drained after her exchange with Drazhan, no matter how Mikhail had helped her. His lack of engagement only made the weight of that feel heavier.

She owed him an answer, today.

For now, she followed Mikhail to the warm tea, setting the mirrors on a table in his home for later before taking up the cup and all but shooting the scalding liquid back. Scalding liquid was better than, well, the terrible chill that followed her. It didn’t stop it from hurting, but she feigned not noticing it when she poured herself a second cup and just held it in one hand, before grabbing a warm pastry.

“Thank you,” she said after the first bite, finding a seat. “Shenanigans begin tomorrow,” she said, “I don’t have the focus for the scrying I’ll need today, not to mention the energy.” Mostly the focus. She’d keep getting distracted and pulled in other ways until she spoke to Drazhan, even if she knew she’d never be ready for that conversation.

Everything she wanted to say still felt riddled with uncertainty, and she hated that. “Do we have any plans for the day?” Unlikely. It wasn’t as if Mikhail planned for them to show up, and she and Malina definitely didn’t have plans.

Drazhan was unlikely to have made any.

Shame.

Tamsin smiled at Marcel. “See you around. I’ll be sure to stop by once more before leaving.”

Marcel stood from his stool. “Good. I’ve missed you dearly, Tams.” They embraced tightly before pulling away, and Tamsin headed towards Varick.

“See you later!”

She sure hope she could see him again. At least, at her performance that evening.

“Well, that was…I’m not sure how to describe that,” Tamsin said once they were back on the streets. She paused in her steps to pull the knife back out, giving it a glance over as she looked at the hilt. There was nothing special about the blade, at least from what she could see.

But maybe there was some magical…bullshit to it.

“But I think we were right in thinking we would leave with more questions than answers.”

~~~

Mikhail simply raised a brow at Kirsikka, watching how she all but swallowed the hot tea in one gulp. He wouldn’t say anything on that, but he did hold his judgment. Tea was meant to be enjoyed! Not…chugged like it was a pint of ale.

At her question, he snorted and waved a hand in the air. “You guys are the unexpected guests, not that I don’t mind you being the unexpected. You three are better company than others, despite…everything.” Drazhan snorted at that, and decided on another cup of tea. Soothing. It eased his internal turmoil.

“I was probably going to go to town to gather some supplies, but other than that? More reading, nothing exciting. Sorry to be such a poor host.”

Malina shook her head. “You could always entertain an unexpected guest for hours if you wanted to.”

“And there’s the thing. If I wanted to.” He made his way to the staircase to go up to his room. “I don’t want to entertain right now. Maybe later. I trust you three to not burn down my place while I’m away?” With that, he left for his room, and Malina, not wishing to be in company of the two she tried to kill earlier, left as well for her own guest room.

Out they went once the warm farewells were exchanged, sealed with another embrace. Varick was glad there was still such warmth for Tamsin left in her hometown. Glad there were still people who missed her, and hoped for her success. It was a warmth that spread to him, even if it was just the tips of the flames.

Of course, it couldn’t last. Not that it was diminished, but as the dagger came into sight again, Varick looked it over without reaching for it. He didn’t recognize anything about it that gave away its secrets as enchanted or not. He could only frown at all the questions it did bring up, and the complications it added.

Maybe it was nothing.

Maybe it was everything.

“We have answers that should lead us to answers to the new questions,” Varick noted, so that it wouldn’t be a completely dark thought of all the new questions they had. “Once we’re done in Tresse, we can go north and find other members of your family, or those who knew them,” he said it as if it were simple.

In some respects, it was. The steps were laid out, after all.

“Calliope may be able to take a closer look at that dagger, as well, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. Enchanted armaments isn’t her forte…but we might find something to put it in that will…seal it a bit more.”

Just in case.

~***~

Kirsikka didn’t really expect Mikhail to go out of his way with the entertainment. That wasn’t what she sought, anyways. She could seclude with a book, as well. She could go into town with him, although suspected Malina might want to call that role if only to get away from them, and actually have real time alone with her brother.

Not that he left to do that. He did leave, and then, so did Malina, leaving Kirsikka alone with Drazhan. Once again, that annoyed, not-hatred festered towards Mikhail for making her life more difficult than it needed to be.

The silence was heavier than it had any reason to be. ‘You’re probably imagining that.’ Maybe not. Drazhan wasn’t making attempts, and he…usually did. ‘You could leave.’ Rest. There’d be no rest, though.

Once again, she was too sober for anything important. Which was a terrible way to live her life. She shouldn’t need alcohol for these things. Especially since Drazhan was so hung up on her intoxicated state and not trusting it to speak truths or show actual desires.

With the croissant finished, she sighed, rose, “Can we go back to your room to talk?” she didn’t trust Malina or Mikhail not to come waltzing in at the wrong moment. Mikhail would listen from any room, though. She wasn’t escaping that unless she left the safety of his cottage. “I’ve had time to think and I need to get everything out before I shove it too far down again.”

Once they’re done in Tresse…more traveling.

Tamsin knew she should be grateful that she found someone who was willing to do all this for her. But even in her travels, she occasionally stayed in a place for a week or so to relax from the stress of travels.

She wouldn’t say anything, or even hint that anything was wrong. It would be selfish and ungrateful, and she wasn’t that.

“Just another chapter in this grand journey,” she chuckled, putting the dagger away. “I wonder why he was saving it for my thirtieth birthday, though. Does that number mean anything to you?” It certainly didn’t to her. Not like reaching adulthood did.

“And by the way, my thirtieth is coming up in just a few short months. At the beginning of spring.” Winter was just starting to set across the lands, so they had time…theoretically. If nothing delayed them.

~~~

Drazhan didn’t know what to expect in their sudden silent solitude together. Was it a blessing? A horrible curse? He didn’t know what to say to Kirsikka, especially after last night. Fortunately, she was the first one to talk, asking to go back to his room, to get everything out she needed to.

Well, that gave him a spark of foolish hope, but he wouldn’t let it burn too brightly just yet.

So he nodded at her request. “Of course.” Since he was already standing, he didn’t need to get up, and so he placed his teacup on a table and just led her up to his temporary room, a small, cozy thing.

When they both walked in, he closed the door behind them and leaned against the wall. “Alright, I’m listening.” His face remained neutral, but deep down, his insides twisted in nerves as he anticipated what she was going to say.

Drazhan knew what he wanted…but did she want the same thing.

Varick shook his head. “No,” thirtieth meant nothing. It was no magical number he knew of. “Usually, things activate around puberty or adulthood, whatever ill-defined concept they have of adulthood. Never heard of that being as late as thirty, though.” It varied, anywhere from 18 to 25, but never so far as thirty.

Perhaps this was just another strange adulthood situation, pushed out longer.

Varick didn’t know.

Thirty meant nothing to him.

Of course, 13 didn’t mean much either, nor did 18. Neither of those had been critical points in his life, as they were for plenty of others. He didn’t have those transitory experiences in the same way a normal person did.

Still, he sighed at the revelation of when her birthday was, “Hopefully, this will all be behind us by then and we can celebrate it,” without worry. He had a feeling that wouldn’t be the case, “but that certainly means we’ll have to travel swiftly once we get on our way. Winter can cause unexpected delays.”

Might even be worth hiring a mage, if he could find one not associated with the Council of Light. They might be unwilling to help. They weren’t the greatest fans of Primals, and they would know of Tamsin by then. He had little doubt the word was spreading throughout Trifflehem’s territories.

‘Dravon….’ He really was putting the two of them into a tight spot by withholding information, but Varick would resist the urge of going to him to get information. That would just lead to more problems. “We should have plenty of time, but it’s never good to test winter. And we don’t know yet what Calliope will say.”

~***~

Kirsikka took her tea with her. No point leaving it behind when it was still warm, and she still craved that. Not to mention, sipping at it was a good way to expand pauses for thought, if she needed it. She felt like she might as she followed Drazhan. Her body felt like it was a mere host to nerves, and not to herself.

Even if she felt all those nerves and couldn’t dissociate from it.

Drazhan took his place against the wall. Kirsikka considered taking a seat, but recalled all too easily how annoying Drazhan had been last night when she sat, so she remained standing, but near the dresser so she could set her tea down if she wanted to. ‘Where to begin…how to begin….’

She took a sip, “Before the mess of Dravon’s reappearance, I was beginning to consider what a future looked like. It was something I hadn’t done since Mont Pellinor, and it was something I didn’t want to do.” She set the cup down, and tried to look at Drazhan, “You found me seeking death, Drazhan. Death on my own terms, but death all the same. I didn’t want anything after destroying the Council of Light’s stupid beliefs. I had nothing to give you but money. No future, no companionship, nothing, because I wanted nothing.”

What a terrible feeling that was.

“I’m still terrified of having anything. I’m still terrified of thinking I can offer anything, to anyone, let alone someone who sparked images of a future in my head.”

Nonsense images.

Images she ought to hold on to as she exhaled and looked away. “Then Dravon showed up, like he always does just when I think….” Just when she thought things would change. How terrible it was to think that, but wasn’t it true? No matter the complications of their relationship, just when she thought there was going to be a change, he was there. “…just when I think it’s over. And I felt all of those dreams of a future shatter.”

That’s what she had wanted to burn out of her head. That was why she’d drunk. To try and recapture some flame, some spark, of anything to convince her there was something more. Her method had been stupid, but it was all she knew, because if she was sober, she’d sink into that truth.

There was nothing.

“The problem is…you’re still here. Harboring those hopes and dreams, and those sparks have a way of kindling them again in me. I can’t speak a single good word about it because I’m so afraid of it, that to even consider it could be good is agony. To consider you could be good for me….” She could only shake her head, “it’s at odds with everything I’ve been telling myself for years now, that no one can be good for me, because there’s nothing to be good for.” No future. No affection.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

“But I…know I could live a much longer life if I wasn’t seeking death. And for a bit, I could even imagine it. And that’s…good. But it feels terrible.” She chuckled, “You see the problem of me ever making sense about how I feel about your presence? I can’t even agree that dreaming of a happy life where I live long and experience love is a good thing.”

Of course her thirtieth birthday meant nothing. Because she was a giant enigma and nothing could make sense.

But…there was a small theory she had.

“What if that age is related to my ability to use my magic?” she wondered out loud. “I never showed an ounce of this…ability in the past, under extreme duress or when I was experiencing violent emotions. But now? As I’m growing closer to that age?”

Then her powers manifested.

But it was all just theories for now.

Tamsin sighed. “I’m sure our horses will love the increase in travel.” Travel faster. Maybe less time taking a break on the road, so they can get to the next town before an unexpected snowstorm.

“Well, I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out what happens next.”

~~~

Drazhan listened intently, frowning as Kirsikka spoke. He didn’t like what he heard, not because it wasn’t exactly an answer, but because it involved Kirsikka wishing for death. Seeking death. And that he didn’t like.

But could he say anything about that without being a hypocrite? He certainly felt similar in the past, being who he was, experiencing what he has.

But sparking images of a future…he knew what that was like. Except the difference between the two of them, he wanted that future. She was scared of it.

And then fucking Dravon, ruining things like always. He wanted to bring that mage alive, then kill him himself, as well as destroying his undead form. Mages staying around after death wasn’t a good sign, anyways. Certainly not an act of a morally righteous individual.

But none of them were, really.

“I admit, I’m a bit confused as to what you’re trying to tell me exactly,” he admitted with a slight shake of his head. “But I will tell you something. I didn't want to move on after Sophia’s death. I thought, well, this is just the life Primals were meant to have, regardless of our affiliation status. We were always meant to suffer, and to never have good things.”

The average person certainly didn’t want to let them have good things.

“But then I started reminiscing over our time together, and thought, if there was a sliver of a chance I could create those warm memories with someone else, then even a fleeting time together would have been worth it.”

Just like his short time with Sophia.

“Maybe, you should just tell yourself to shut up sometimes.” This he said with slight amusement. “Maybe you just need a little help in seeing the good you need, in yourself, and in your future, whatever unknown it holds, and for who knows how long that would be.” They could die tomorrow. They both could die centuries from now.

“And…I do want to help you see that there can be good for you.”

Varick shrugged, “Could be. But you’ve been using it before thirty,” Varick pointed out to Tamsin. It was likely a rough estimate if that was the case. “That still makes it a fairly personal, family thing. Not a rule found out in more…normal situations involving cursed artifacts and inheritances,” not that anything about this had been normal to start with, but it was worth pointing out where he was out of his depth.

He'd learned certain rules.

He wasn’t opposed to learning and understanding new ones, but right now, he didn’t understand these rules. “I don’t know why you would start to learn magic at 30,” that was the heart of it. He didn’t know why 30 was the magic number for her to learn magic. “Usually – for most mages – this starts to develop either at birth, or around puberty.” It didn’t wait to adulthood. It was there immediately, or there when they started to undergo changes.

Most would say there immediately, it just started to show itself more obviously in puberty because of the dramatic changes.

He did snort at the increased travel. “This is normal for Marzipan,” but he supposed it wasn’t normal for Luna. “I’m sure Luna will adjust. Or she’ll force rest.” Horses could do that. He’d experienced it before, usually at the start of any relationship with a new one. Few horses had to deal with as much travel, even if they were with mercenaries or traders before.

People liked to stick to a place longer than he did.

He hummed his agreement at the last, “We should go question others, if there was anyone else you wanted to try and find.”

~***~

Kirsikka knew this first part of things didn’t tell Drazhan anything. It didn’t give him the answer he sought, yet it needed to be said, before she offered the answer. He needed to have the foundation for her reactions, and to know that foundation was built on fear. It was a terrible thing to build anything on, and she knew it had to be changed, but that wasn’t easy work. It wasn’t work she ever intended to do, either.

He offered a little insight into things with Sophia. Obviously, he had already moved on, but he’d found himself in a place where his acceptance hadn’t been moving on. It was akin to hers – accepting there was nothing more waiting for him. Nothing good left.

He’d gotten through it thanks to the memories he held. Kirsikka didn’t think it would work quite the same way. She had good memories with Dravon. Great ones. The problem was, they were a reminder that he always returned. Always. Her time without Dravon was so miniscule to the time with him, even before they were romantically linked. He’d always been there.

Stepping away from that odd, dependable thing, was not comfortable.

She still smirked as he mentioned ‘shutting up’. He wasn’t wrong. She was her own worst enemy in all of this, but when was that new? Even her magic turned against her in unexpected ways, chilling her to the bone and blinding her. She was likely still on a path of decay and death, even if she could change her goal. “You’re not wrong. And that’s why I…wanted to outline where my reactions are coming from with you. It’s not dislike. It’s fear. Not of you, but all that your presence could mean, if I let it.”

No, she never really disliked him, she just didn’t know how to accept all the thoughts he brought to mind. All the hope. Not without the knee-jerk reaction of fear, not without thinking it was all going to end horribly. “It’s why I kept trying to get you away, but you knew that. I was afraid you’d die. I was also just afraid I’d get…caught up, and have to experience losing everything again. I didn’t want that, but it felt like a certainty, not just a possibility.”

Something inescapable. “I didn’t consider anything would be worth that pain again. And I didn’t want to put someone else through it when I…well, when I met my end.” Since that had been the goal.

Now, however, she could only sigh, “But.” Because there was obviously more to this. “I have been thinking since our talk. And Mikhail’s talk with me.” Credit where credit was due, “longer than that,” then Dravon messed up her thoughts and she had to put them back in order from the crash. “I want to figure out whatever there is between us that bothers me so damn much, but I can’t promise that’s going to be easy for me. I can’t promise I won’t fuck up and try to push you away. I’ll try to be more…conscientious of it. I’ll try to recognize doing it, but I might need help with that, because I…want to keep you around. To figure out what we have. What we could have.”

What a future was.

Tamsin accepted the fact that Varick was probably right. He knew more about this stuff than she did, and nothing concerning her or her family was turning out normal.

Oh how she missed the old days of actually being the normal, traveling bard.

Tamsin sighed and ran a hand through her hair. “I guess there’s no use in asking myself too many questions now that can’t be answered. It only adds more panic in my head.” And they didn’t need that. No one needed that if it led to another eruption of her powers.

They didn’t even know the full extent of her powers yet.

On the subject of the horses, she chuckled with the image of Luna refusing to go on further. It was possible…which was why it was funny, and also a little annoying, knowing her horse would be the reason they were delayed from their schedule. But, “Yes, she’ll have to adjust. She has no other choice.”

None of them did.

They continued on, and Tamsin met up with some other people she knew that knew her parents, including lunch with the woman they ran into yesterday, but no one gave any new information. They only confirmed what Tamsin already knew, that both parents were mum on their background, and the most anyone could provide was that her father was from up near the Kheimon region, which they had already guessed. But it was nice to have confirmation.

And upon returning to their room, Tamsin was exhausted, but there still had to be a performance that evening. And dinner to eat. But a little relaxation wouldn’t hurt.

~~~

Drazhan continued to not have much hope given what Kirsikka tried to explain to him. Maybe she just needed time to herself to figure things out for herself, which he couldn’t fault in the least. How could he when he’s done the same in the past?

He looked at her with large eyes, hopeful that she would say what he wanted to hear. He braced himself, but with the fabled ‘but,’ he did grow hopeful. His head lifted a little, heart racing more than it normally does in his Primal body. And eventually, she did say what he wanted to hear.

That she wanted to keep him around. That she wanted to try and figure things out.

Wordlessly, Drazhan closed the distance between the two, gripping Kirsikka’s waist with two hands, and gently trapped her against the dresser she was standing next to. “I need to know you won’t change your mind on me tomorrow,” he said breathlessly.

He couldn’t handle the rejection.

Drazhan leaned his head even closer to her. “Please tell me you won’t change your mind so soon.” In the future, when she figured things out, sure. He would be unhappy, but he would let her go if that was what she ultimately wanted.

But now? Now he wanted her, and he was willing to be a little selfish for her.

There was no further information in the town. Varick hadn’t expected it, though he still felt the disappointment and frustration of finding nothing other than some vague hint of power at 30, and a dagger.

Which, when they got back to the inn, Varick did take time to look the dagger over, hoping he would notice something about it. It was ornate, but the jewels didn’t tell him anything, nor their arrangement. He did not find any text upon the blade or the hilt. Not even the sheath. He found no secrets to it, which was beyond frustrating.

‘A mage might. Dravon might.’

He couldn’t go to Dravon.

He likely couldn’t find a good mage to translate any enchantments on it, either. The Council of Light wasn’t going to help him, and any mage of the Ordo Sors wasn’t announcing their position publicly. Things had been…significantly easier two years ago. He hadn’t quite realized that until faced with this problem his swords and Primal strength couldn’t handle.

‘And we’re running out of time.’

That weighed on him most, and so it led to their departure from Tamsin’s hometown not long after they had arrived – making sure, of course, to bid farewell to the blacksmith before setting back on their way south to get to Tresse. Naturally, that soon meant traveling along a river. Varick didn’t think much of avoiding the water, or reflections, as they stayed near it, more for the sake of the horse’s than anything. It also meant they ran into small towns or collections of homes more often – people always did like to be near water.

Sadly, so did monsters, but those weren’t what truly both in the way.

That was a group of bandits who set up on the road and decided to try and take toll. Varick saw them as they approached and sighed, turning Marzipan off the road to try and just avoid the hassle of it.

“Hey, hey! Where are you going?” one of them called, running up from their makeshift barricade, “It’s dangerous out there! There’s a troll!”

“Mm. Don’t care.” Varick stated flatly, turning his yellow eyes on the bandit so they’d know he really didn’t care.

“No maybe you don’t, but what about this fine young lady you’re traversing with. The road is much safer – we’re making sure of that. Just asking a little fee for that hard work, is that too much to ask?”

Varick scoffed.

~***~

Drazhan’s reaction was somewhat expected, but that didn’t mean Kirsikka was entirely ready for him to step into her space and grasp at her. Her gaze did go down to give a mild glare at one of his hands, before looking back up at him. The glare couldn’t last. He was still so…well, pathetic, in his way.

So like a puppy, willing to sit for an eternity if he thought it might get him a head pat.

She never had cared much for that type beyond using them; funny how things changed when everyone else faded out of her life, and there were none dependable around her any longer. So, Kirsikka just sighed at his question. ‘I can’t actually promise that kind of thing.’ She was fickle, and she knew that.

Although, really, what was one additional day if she did want to change her mind tomorrow. She could always point out he hadn’t asked for a week…even if that was cruel. Still, she didn’t plan on it. The words hadn’t come out lightly, and she couldn’t take them back easily. Of course, that didn’t mean pressing forward was easy, and she’d warned Drazhan that was going to be an adjustment.

“I’m not changing my mind in a day,” however reassuring that was to him. She could feel in the way he held her that he wanted so much more. To push forward with so much more, right then and there. The tension was impossibly thick not to be obvious. “It’ll take at least a week,” a terrible comment, but a joke.

Hopefully.

She lifted her arms to wrap around the back of his neck, to draw him down a bit, and pull herself up. Close, “But I need to sleep, Drazhan.” She knew the thought of a bed would be torturing him, knew he’d think it an invitation for more.

Poor puppy.

She didn’t make it better when she lifted to press a too-chaste kiss on his lips, lowering a hand to his arm before lowering her lips from his, “And I mean that. Sleep. You can join me if you’ll behave.”

Tamsin wanted to spend an extra day in her town, just to further relax and see how things have changed, but they had to get on the road, as now there may be a time limit, aside from the usual hazards winter brought to travelers.

Though she hadn’t anticipated the newest hazard that interrupted their travels.

Tamsin wanted to just ignore the bandits, so that they would leave them alone, but apparently the bandits weren’t going to leave them alone, even with Varick looking at them. She tensed as she was mentioned, and she stepped closer to Varick. “Yes, it is. We didn’t ask you to make the road safer.” She felt emboldened, just a tad, by Varick’s presence.

Which meant she should think twice before speaking. But she didn’t.

“I think we’ll take our chances with the troll.” If there even was a troll ahead, which she doubted.

~~~

Drazhan wanted to groan. He wanted to protest. But with the chaste kiss on his lips, he would agree to whatever Kirsikka needed, or wanted.

And in this case, she needed some sleep.

He was eager to join her, even if they would only be sleeping, but he had woken up not that long ago, while it seemed Kirsikka had been awake for far longer. “I’ll leave you alone for now. I just woke up and am far too restless to go back to sleep.”

Not that he needed much sleep anyways. Damn Primal genes.

So with that, he leaned down and pressed his own kiss to her lips. Another chaste one, like hers, before he broke away. “But let me know when you change your mind,” he said with a wink.

This could go one of two ways. The bandits could leave them to their fate, or they could try challenging them for the money. Varick wasn’t sure which way it would lean; they likely knew what he was, but they also saw Tamsin, a seemingly defenseless girl they could try to grab to bolster their odds of getting money out of them by just threatening her.

Why she wasn’t on Luna was a frustration, but she’d had to come down and walk her, while Varick remained upon Marzipan.

He had no intent to lower himself to the height of the bandits.

He could see the bandit was thinking, and much as he wanted to continue on his path, he didn’t dare move Marzipan lest that make Tamsin more open than she already was.

A voice called from the group of them. “Sorry folks,” one called forward, and Varick looked and saw a crossbow aimed at them. The bandit nearby wouldn’t have to do anything about grabbing Tamsin, then. A few others had drawn bows. “Going off road just isn’t allowed right now, so why don’t you come forward and we see what the charge is for causing us so much trouble, eh?”

Varick wanted to groan, but he turned Marzipan to approach. “Ah, ah, nice and easy, leave your weapons with the gent there. Don’t want anymore rash actions, now, do we, loves?”

~***~

Kirsikka did want more, of course, but she knew it would not do her good to rush. She’d already nearly called Drazhan ‘Dravon’ twice now, she wasn’t aiming for a third time. It would be better to become…accustomed to the thought of him being there, and not the other. It would be hellish in its own way for that, but she could manage it.

Drazhan would manage.

After all, he didn’t even allow himself the temptation of just resting with her, and so Kirsikka was allowed to sleep on her own. Sadly, it was throwing her schedule off, although not meshing with the others wasn’t the worst consequence possible. It gave her peace when she did wake to scry, which was what she was supposed to be doing, anyways.

She only just resisted the urge to try and break through Dravon’s barriers with the thought that he could trace it back to Mikhail’s home.

‘Later.’ When they were gone from here.

Thankfully, the scrying wasn’t too difficult once she got started, and once she drew up her dream to vibrate the voice she’d heard against the mirrors as a trace. The problem came in narrowing down the most recent location, although it became quite clear that this woman had been traveling along a body of water. ‘Drazhan might be able to track from just that….’

Then again, probably not. She was just human, likely horsed, on a normal trail. With hundreds of others, somewhere, on that same trail. ‘Just get as close as you can….’

Kirsikka thought she had a good spot through the waters by mid-morning, so she rose from where she’d been working outside and went back towards the cottage.

Tamsin drew closer to Luna, as if the mere presence of the horse could help her hide. Or get away. Or some other ridiculous thought that indicated the horse knew what was going on.

But she didn’t, and Varick seemed to just go along with whatever the bandits were going to do, for now. So Tamsin followed suit, keeping a close eye on the crossbow and other bows that were aimed at them. She could feel…something, tugging at her, deep inside, but it was too far away.

What, did she need to feel more scared in order to use her powers? I wish I knew how you worked.

Tamsin didn’t reach into her nearby bag to grab the dagger. Maybe they would just think she was a harmless woman, traveling with a Primal for whatever reason, and leave her alone. Unlikely. A woman like her in these situations never turned out good.

She would know. She narrowly escaped a similar situation once before. “And who exactly put you in charge to make these road-based decisions for everyone?”

~~~

Everyone was up and moving around in the cottage when Kirsikka finished with her scrying. Malina and Drazhan were somehow in the same room together, but as it was a fairly large room, they stood on opposite sides; Drazhan was eating a late breakfast, made by Mikhail, and Malina focused on a book.

Mikhail, in the midst of conversation, turned towards Kirsikka as she came in. “Did you have a nice little scry?” He walked over to her, a cup of tea already in hand, to give to Kirsikka to warm her up after using magic.

Tea always fixes everything.

Drazhan looked over with curiosity. “Do we have a location yet?” Or was she just taking a break? But something told him she wouldn’t take a break until the location of their mysterious girl was found.

“None of your concern, love. You wouldn’t know them anyways,” the leader of the bandits said as they came closer, weapons in the hands of the other man. “Now, let’s see here. You’re a Primal?” Varick grunted, “Suppose that explains why you wouldn’t be afraid. Heard your lot threw in with the beasties some time ago, to make money off of them. All a nice little ruse.”

Varick dismounted as one reached for Marzipan’s bags, disrupting the grab, “What do you want?” Varick said, sounding annoyed.

“Toll,” the bandit said, “simple as that, though with the hassle you’re giving us, we’re going to have a look-see for any contraband, too.”

“Mm. And what if I didn’t want you to start looking through?”

“Well mate, you can try to fight. You might make it out alive, but your girl here won’t, and I have my doubts on the horses.”

“You won’t make it out either,” Varick said, pointedly. His gaze never wavered from the bandit leader. “I suggest you name a price and we negotiate, without touching our things.”

“We don’t negotiate here, love,” the leader said, “but if you want it like that, how about 100 gold? Per person.”

~***~

Kirsikka took the tea with a, “Thank you,” before she took a sip of it, nodding in answer to both Mikhail and Drazhan. “Mm. She’s been traveling along a river so her reflection has been easy to follow. I have an idea of where to go, and from there it’s just following the path.” And hoping to catch her.

Ideally, they wouldn’t be too far, and if they moved at a gallop, it shouldn’t take them long at all. “They’re in Aquelle de Lethe from what I can tell,” a place not yet conquered by Trifflehem, which was good, although it wouldn’t save her.

She’d need a new disguise soon enough if she was going to stay out among people long, but that was a problem for later. First was the problem of getting the woman and figuring out just why she was so useful to getting rid of the White Sun. “We can go now.”

She didn’t know of Malina was coming.

Or Mikhail, although she suspected Mikhail would not be coming along. He had his home to watch over, after all.

Tamsin bit her tongue at the suggestion that Varick had something to do with the monsters, as if he was working with them for coin.

Anything and everything she wanted to say would have made their current predicament much worse.

A look-see for any contraband. If they touched her instruments, Tamsin would make sure she quickly honed in on those mysterious abilities of hers so that they would regret doing that. Or bring any harm to Varick or her. And it was just her bonus that she appeared to be a harmless woman.

“100 gold each?” she nearly exclaimed. “That’s outrageous!” She wouldn’t say that they didn’t have that kind of money, though. Who knew how they would react, but truly, they didn’t even look like the kind of people who would have that kind of wealth.

~~~

Along a river is a good thing. It would be pretty simple tracking someone down along the river, assuming she didn’t start traveling by boat for some reason. But humans typically left tracks along the river, if they didn’t pop in too far behind.

Drazhan had confidence in this mission, but he was curious how to figure out what this girl held that was so special, or if she would even agree to come along.

“Wait,” he said, pausing for a moment, “who’s they?” He had assumed this woman would be traveling alone, even if that wasn’t the greatest idea. Who knew what also traveled along those same roads, monsters and humans.

But also, traveling with a companion…that may make things more complicated when they need to talk to her. But other than his question, Drazhan was ready to go, and he was sure Bear was ready for another adventure.

Kirsikka only shrugged at Drazhan’s question, “I’m just assuming. Most people don’t travel alone,” it was quite possible Tamsin was alone. Kirsikka hadn’t done her research in that regard, she didn’t feel it was necessary.

So, of course, she went to get Zephyr ready, and pull herself together. Perhaps she should have taken more time for that – to get her clothes cleaned and repaired, to just rest, to get a better eyepatch…but of course, she didn’t. So she wrapped a bit of blue cloth around her head to cover the bad eye, bid farewell to Mikhail by leaving him a mirror he could use to reach her, and then went out to wait for Drazhan to be ready.

And when he was, she made the portal by a bridge, as it was the last place Tamsin had been seen, unaware she was, in fact, stopped at that bridge at that very moment by bandits.

~***~

Of course it was an outrageous price. Varick knew that was the idea. He was also fairly certain they didn’t have that. Sure, they were earning money for Tamsin’s performances, but that was a substantial sum even in his line of work. “Sorry then, love, we’ll have to take a look at things.”

Varick let Marzipan be taken aside, and he watched as they began to pick through his belongings. He didn’t have much of note, of course. His sword, which he was wearing, but then he had rations, water, and little else. Tamsin was the one to carry luxuries as they took Luna aside. She had instruments, and of course, the jeweled dagger.

“Mmm, well, I think we can get the fee out of this dagger,” one of them said, as he showed it.

“No.” Varick said flatly.

“You’re not in any position,” the leader stated, “and I think you’re right, the jewels on there look like they’d fetch a good bit of money, so—”

A woman stepped out from thin air.

Well, not quite thin air – Varick could see the shimmer of the air by the water, as a horse came through after her. ‘I’ve seen her before.’ A mage, that was obvious. She’d had both eyes then – if one was gone. One was definitely covered, and she looked…significantly rougher than the last time he’d seen her, visible scars on her wrists and wounds not fully healed.

Her eyes didn’t fall on him first. They fell on Tamsin, and that was enough to cause him to tense up, given Dravon’s reaction to Tamsin.

The bandits noticed her not long after – that stuttering of the one caused by her. “Fuck, is that her?” one asked, panicked energy rising. Whispers, panic – Varick clearly heard ‘Boreal Wind’, and wondered, though.

“No, no,” the leader said, dismissing it, “you said that about the last red head. Don’t know where you came from, love, but there’s a toll to cross this bridge. You can get in line behind them.”

Kirsikka just sighed, as if dealing with this was beneath her, “Do you need some help?” her question was pointed at Varick and Tamsin, although already Varick felt the air growing…colder.

‘So, you are….’

Tamsin was startled by the appearance of another person seemingly out of thin air. A red-headed woman, who looked quite familiar, came out of a portal. She had certainly seen better days, Tamsin noted, but would never say. And behind her…

Wait, is that another Primal behind her…?

Drazhan followed Kirsikka through the portal, to what appeared to be a fun scene in front of him. Bandits, by the look of them, threaten Tamsin and her traveling companion, who…

He froze as his eyes laid on her companion, someone he used to be very close to. Someone he used to see as a father, almost. Oh, well, isn’t this going to be interesting.

The chaos was certainly about to unfold.

Tamsin felt the air get slightly colder, but only assumed it was changing seasons responsible for it, and not the whispers of ‘Boreal Wind,’ a name she had heard of in the past. At Kirsikka’s question, she took a second before nodding. “Yes, a little help would be great.”

The four of them, if the two strangers were indeed on their side, should be able to handle the bandits, right?

Four of them was completely unnecessary. When Tamsin gave the word, Kirsikka waved her hand through the air ahead of her. Several icicles spiraled into the air as her hand passed over the air, just ahead. The bandits moved into a panic immediately, dropping pilfered items, reaching for bows and crossbows to take aim, but it wasn’t as fast as magic.

At least, not as fast as when Kirsikka cast, which Varick knew in an instant was strange; rather like Tamsin, she required no material, no words – nothing. It was instantaneous. The icicles hit their targets through their heads, with two crossbow bolts going wide as they were fired by fingers that ceased to be attached to a living human – a death twitch.

Then it was over, and Varick was not enthused with the results, nor the companion of the Boreal Wind. He was bristling with anger and mistrust, so when Kirsikka lowered her hand and took a step forward, he stepped ahead of Tamsin and laid a hand on his sword. “That’s as far as you’ll go until you answer some questions, Boreal Wind.”

“Kirsikka.”

“Varick.”

“I know.” She said, recalling the rakshasa who had taken his form. She very much doubted this was a rakshasa or someone in the guise of him, although she’d leave that call to Drazhan.

“Did Dravon send you?” the question was pointed, accusing, and Kirsikka’s brows lifted in surprise – too caught off guard hearing his name dropped to hide it. It was enough of an answer for Varick. “Then you can leave.” He snapped and turned around to get Marzipan, although he was far from unaware of any movements any of them might take.

And he pointedly ignored Drazhan.

Tamsin watched in slight amazement and horror as Kirsikka took out the bandits without a single word. Didn’t mages typically need incantations, or…something to cast spells?

But Tamsin wasn’t typical either, and made her realize how very little she knew of magic in general. Anything could be fucking possible.

As Varick and Kirsikka, as she introduced herself, had their standoff, Tamsin hurried to grab her dagger, careful not to look where the icicle pierced the bandit’s head, before scurrying back close to Varick.

Drazhan felt some kind of way being completely ignored by Varick, after so long, but that wasn’t important at the moment. What was important was the little bard he was traveling with, for some reason.

Primals didn’t have traveling companions.

“You’re supposed to be the key to destroying The Ineffable One,” Drazhan called out to Tamsin, hoping that bit of information would intrigue Varick enough to listen to what they had to say. And convince Tamsin.

Tamsin only laughed, a bit hysterically, at the news, unable to process it in any capacity.

Apparently, Drazhan had lost all of his marbles when he left Geot Draath, if he thought spouting about killing a God was going to make Varick any more interested in anything they had going on. Well, a possible God. There were so many religions and would-be gods, Varick didn’t really keep track. He was forced to know of the Ineffable One since it was the current, dominant religion.

He didn’t like the sound of Tamsin’s laugh.

“We’re not interested in war with Trifflehem or their faith,” Varick said flatly, not looking back as he got everything organized with Marzipan once again. “I know they did a terrible thing to the Ordo Sors but that’s not my concern.” He wasn’t even really speaking to Drazhan there. It couldn’t be Drazhan’s idea, but the mage at his side, after all.

“It’s not about the Ordo Sors, it’s about—”

“I don’t care.” Varick said, “whatever it is, Tamsin isn’t involved.”

Kirsikka scowled, and started to step forward, wrath touching her tone, “You already know there’s more to this than meets the eye, don’t you want answers? Don’t you?” she realized, in the moment, she didn’t have to be speaking to Varick. She could speak to Tamsin, and so she turned to her as Varick turned away from Marzipan. “This is a terrible way to meet, but my name is Kirsikka, and yes, I am the Boreal Wind, and I am here for you. But I won’t take you away from him, and I don’t mean you any harm. I don’t know what interactions you two have already had that have turned you so hostile against mages, but there’s plenty I can explain.”

“We don’t need—”

“Unless he’s speaking for you, of course,” Kirsikka gestured towards him simply, but didn’t look his way. He didn’t need further acknowledgment. “Is he making decisions about your life for you?”

Tamsin bit her lip in silent contemplation of Kirsikka’s words.

Varick was taking over her life, even if he wasn’t aware of it. Perhaps it was just simple concern for her, or falling back on what he already knew about mages and…the other Primal. But this was her life they were discussing, without her own input.

Tamsin silently raised a hand towards Varick, a silent gesture to give her a moment. She wanted to speak with this mage herself, and she simply asked, “Why?”

But in that moment, she remembered where she had seen the mage before. Dravon created an image of her in the mirror, when they had met, and he delivered a cryptic message to her.

All mages are so damn cryptic.

Her brows furrowed. “Dravon wanted us to meet. ‘The conduit and the battery,’ he called us.” She thought for another second. “You can do every channel of magic, right?” Which was unusual for a mage. Normally, they had their specialty.

But apparently, both of them were special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back