• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
‘Good.’ Pointing out what Varick was doing worked. That was one step forward that Kirsikka was glad to make, although she didn’t like what the bard had to say. Mostly because Dravon hadn’t mentioned much at all to her about that, although she understood what it meant.

“Could,” Kirsikka said, “I can no longer channel fire, but that’s my own fault,” she answered, “and no, I don’t know why I could channel everything before, nor do I know how to repair the broken channel.” Honesty was the only way forward here.

She knew from speaking with Dravon enough times how much his cryptic ass could make anyone mistrust him. Which meant, they were going to mistrust her, as was already evident. “If he’s called you a battery, that means he sensed you’re a nexus of limitless power that could be dangerous in the wrong hands. Despite being able to channel almost anything, I still run out of energy and get tired.”

“You also channel without tools.” Varick pointed out.

“Mm. Always could,” she said, “any mage can channel anything with tools. Even I could channel fire if I used the right incantations.” Probably. She hadn’t tried it, but she knew the way, so why not? Others didn’t have the channels open that she had. “Dravon told me you were the key to destroying the White Sun. It’s also been called the Ineffable One, though most…don’t know that. The White Sun is an old, old story. I’m sure you know it, Varick?”

His leveled case wasn’t an answer, but Kirsikka went on, “The long story short is that it’s the source of monsters in this world. I don’t know how you’re meant to help,” she admitted, “so I don’t plan to ask you right now to come with me to this terrible entity and face it down. I want to figure it out with you.”

The source of monsters in the world.

She’s meant to help destroy the source of monsters in the world.

Monsters that seemed to seek her out more than the average person.

Tamsin shook her head, denial clearly written on her face. “You’re wrong. You’ve got the wrong woman. I’m just a bard. A bard!” She shouted the last part. Magic tingled under her skin, and her fingers practically vibrated from it. “My father was a blacksmith, and my mother a seamstress. I’m nothing special.” She was just…a bard! A bard from Antalya. Nothing special about that town.

Drazhan took a step forward. “We know this may be hard to process…”

“No! There is absolutely nothing to process, because I am not getting involved in this story of old gods and monsters or whatever the fuck it is.” Angry tears leaked down her cheeks, but she refused to cry in front of them. Because there was nothing to cry about, right? They were all just delusional in what it was her powers meant.

Tamsin the Bard was unwilling to listen, despite plenty of suggestion to the contrary. Kirsikka was never a woman good with emotional outbursts, and that didn’t change now. Besides, if there was one thing she had learned, it was that there was always more than one way to tackle a problem. “All right,” she said simply, “It’s not like my father was a mere glassmaker from Kheimon with no magic in his bones at all, or these two men who’ve made names for themselves weren’t discarded children.” Whether by society who didn’t want them in an orphanage, or by the parents themselves, that was the sad story of a Primal.

“That’s enoug—”

“I’m leaving,” Kirsikka held her hands up, but dropped them quickly to take the second of her three mirrors out, and lay it on the ground, “Just tell me where you met Dravon. I need to know where he’s been.”

“Mont Pellinor.” Varick stated. “I would advise you of all people not go there.” And despite the fact he understood this mage had information, he couldn't bare to stop her and demand answers with Tamsin in this state. And he didn't want to deal with anymore damn mages with connections to Dravon.

He wasn’t wrong to suggest that. Kirsikka understood that was more than a warning for her own life, her presence could disrupt things. It didn’t mean she wasn’t considering it, but that was a conversation she’d actually have to have with Drazhan before just making a portal there. “If you need me, little bard, figure out how to use that. Until then,” Kirsikka lifted her hand in a wave, before making a portal to go back to Mikhail.

Other options would have to be explored.

Wait…”Kheimon?” That was potentially where her father was from.

And, quickly thinking on it, Kirsikka may be her only option for the near future.

“Wait!” Tamsin cried, throwing one hand out as if that would stop her. But it did. The portal Kirsikka created disappeared with Tamsin’s cry and a pulse of energy that came from her. She didn’t question it.

It was one reason she quickly thought that she wanted Kirsikka to stay.

“You’re from Kheimon. I have…possible connections to Kheimon.” But that wasn’t the only reason she wanted to further speak with Kirsikka. “If you do stay, and I do agree to…all of this, could you help me figure out my powers?” The powers she still knew nothing about, nor how to control them, as evident by how she just snuffed out a portal the woman made.

Drazhan, though in a split second, didn’t know if he wanted to stay with them any further, namely for the fact that Varick was there. And he didn’t seem to want to even look at him.

The portal shut. Kirsikka could have easily made another one, and that terribly spiteful side of herself considered it once it was closed off. After all, Tamsin had rejected the offer already...but there were bigger things at stake here than her own wounded pride.

Unfortunately.

She dealt with Malina, she could deal with a poor girl in over her head, and so she turned back as the girl asked for help, arching a brow at it, "So you aren't just a simple bard with no special powers whatsoever, then?" Kirsikka would at least have her admit what she was.

That was the first step to anything, after all, and she may be a hypocrite but she'd still enforce this on others.

"Did you close that portal yourself?" Varick asked, as if the answer should be obvious.

"Would anyone here really know if I did?" she countered, folding her arms over her chest. "I don't think even you would know for certain, would you?" yet the smile was at least gentle, not mocking, despite the implications of the words.

"I can't help a bard. I don't play music."

'So say what you are and we can talk.'

Tamsin glanced back at Varick, almost apologetic, before she returned her focus on Kirsikka. “I am a simple bard, that part is true. But I don’t know what I am. I don’t know why I suddenly developed these powers, and it scares me.”

And it was something she was losing her sanity over.

“I want help to control these powers though, before I accidentally kill someone.” Before she accidentally killed Varick, or someone else she held dear to her. Or just a simple bystander.

“But if you can also tell me what I am, that would be greatly appreciated. Dravon seemed to know what I am, but refused to tell me.” But if she was also a mage, wouldn’t she know as well? Or was there just something special about Dravon’s undead state that allowed him to see what she truly was?

“So, will you help me?”

A sudden development of power was nothing new. It was one of the mysteries of the Ordo Sors – how someone could have such a sudden burst of power, and then never be able to channel it that way again. Kirsikka heard theory upon theory – because they tried to link what she could do with that burst. They never liked to be reminded her power never began with a burst.

It had been quiet.

Quite the opposite of Tamsin.

“I can’t tell you what you are, beyond a magic user. I’m afraid Dravon has fallen in love with his secrets lately. It’s annoying,” and she’d get it out of him, somehow, but that was a problem for later, and not one to verbalize. Drazhan was likely to try to interject himself into any plans she thought of making for that.

Which was the sane and correct thing for him to do, but that didn’t mean Kirsikka was going to accept it so easily. “That doesn’t mean I can’t help you. The Ordo Sors never figured out what was so different about me, but they still managed to teach me, and I have 300 years of theory and practice, so,” a simple shrug, “I’m sure I can teach you something about control.”

Varick remained uncertain, but he knew Kirsikka wasn’t lying. She likely was that old. More than that, he’d place bets on her being the most powerful living mage, and perhaps the most powerful in history after Mont Pellinor. It was Mont Pellinor that made him question trusting her, though.

He knew the song.

He knew why it happened.

Dravon was still too tangled in this, too close for comfort. Not to mention, Kirsikka’s control might be debatable…but it was more than Tamsin had. And she needed a mage. He wasn’t going to find many outside of the Council of Light easily.

But this was too convenient. “We’re on our way to Tresse. You can join us.”

“I can make—”

“You can walk, or ride, with us,” Varick interjected. “I don’t trust you enough to trust your portals.”

‘Paranoid.’ Not that she blamed him. “Fine,” she shrugged, “but away from the river. I found you two using Tamsin’s image in the water. It won’t be long before assassins from the Council of Light catch mine in it, I’d rather not give them more of a trail.”

“…why aren’t you masking yourself?”

“Illusions don’t work for that, and I ran out of ingredients a while ago to make the potion I had been using.” She also hadn’t exactly thought of it until recently, considering she’d been strangely safe in Pomachion.

Varick closed his hand over his face in frustration. Mages and potions. Why was it always mages and potions! “What do you need?” he growled out. He’d had this conversation before. He knew he’d had this conversation, “and what is the point of the mercenary if not to acquire these things?”

Tamsin was a little disappointed that Kirsikka couldn’t tell her what she was. That would be too easy, wouldn’t it? But she could help Tamsin with her powers, which was the important thing in the matter. So she didn’t blow up and kill anyone. So she didn’t hurt Varick.

Poor, grumpy Varick.

Then again, she didn’t like the idea of assassins chasing after any of them. That put all of them at risk.

“The point of the mercenary,” Drazhan finally spoke, “was to get through Pomachion. And things just…escalated from there.” Escalated in many different ways, but Drazhan was hardly going to leave Kirsikka now, even if she still wanted him to, which he kind of thought she did.

But she’s now stuck with him for the long haul.

“Ingredients for illusions were the furthest thing from the both of us after everything.”

Tamsin frowned. “Wait, mercenary? I thought you were a Primal…” He had the characteristic eyes, after all!

“Was. I was one,” he clarified.

“I wasn’t sure that was something you could just stop being.” Tamsin looked at Varick, silently asking for verification of this fact.

Varick lowered his hand a bit as Drazhan spoke. ‘Pomachion.’ The amount of gold it would take to get him into Pomachion was ridiculous. It didn’t look like either Kirsikka or Drazhan had been living the high life, although if they were fresh from the venture, perhaps that explained it. Why Drazhan persisted in following when, indeed, he was just a mercenary, was a mystery. Perhaps what he learned in Pomachion was significant enough not to walk away from this.

Varick doubted it.

Drazhan could walk away from anything.

“It’s not.” Varick said flatly to Tamsin’s statement about Primals. “But some like to pretend otherwise,” there was no masking the disgust or dislike, no masking the bitter history between the two of them in that moment, or that the wounds had not healed at all. Varick didn’t want to deal with Drazhan, but at least he was used to dealing with unpleasant things and getting through it.

Odds were, this would become too much for Drazhan. “That’s not important right now, I’m sure he’ll be paid and be on his way soon. We need to consider ingredients,” yet as he spoke, he saw the flicker in the air, more attuned to it now that he’d just seen it. The way his eyes darted, and then his brows lifted, was enough of a warning for Kirsikka.

She whipped around quickly and caught sight of Counsellor Rigel as he stepped into the area, lightning already dancing across his arm. “—banlideahc.” He’d been prepared, casting the spell partially before stepping through.

Kirsikka redirected the strike as it shot from his arm when he pushed it forward, only to see two more portals appear, and two more mages with the same spell on their lips. ‘Fuck.’

Ducking would leave Varick and Tamsin behind her open. She didn’t have time to call up an ice wall – lightning was too fast for that, and deflecting both was out of the question. The strikes hit squarely against her arms as she crossed them in front of herself, charring through more flesh and clothes as she was knocked a step back and took a knee.

Two more portals.

Five mages.

The others held their lightning, though, seeing Kirsikka wounded, as Rigel stepped ahead, “The three of you may step aside and we shall forgive this…lack of judgment on your parts for consorting with this war criminal.”

Tamsin frowned at what Varick said, wondering exactly what Drazhan’s side of the story was. Since it appeared they were all traveling together, she may be able to talk to him and get to know him a little better, and why there was such a fallout between those two. And why he didn’t consider himself a Primal anymore.

Drazhan certainly had some words he wanted to say, but he couldn’t. Not before they were interrupted by the first mage of the Council of Light. Tamsin drew in closer to Varick, and Drazhan pulled out his sword, ready for battle.

As if a sword could do anything against mages.

He certainly wished he could do more as they targeted Kirsikka.

Tamsin felt the magic buzz within her like the lightning held in by the other mages that appeared. Instead of stepping aside, like the one warned, she stepped forward with determination.

She knew what showing them her own magic would do, but she couldn’t let them continue to attack Kirikka.

Channeling all the pent up emotions in her from the brief battle and the shock of everything, Tamsin let out a scream as a pulse of energy shot out in front of her like a shockwave, knocking back the mages. Magic still buzzed beneath her skin, but not quite as pronounced anymore.

Varick meant to speak. Varick meant to figure a way to stall, because he knew their hope for getting out of this with Kirsikka alive, meant giving Kirsikka a breather. Drazhan’s sword was already out, but before he could speak, before Drazhan could act, Tamsin screamed. The magic flowed out, and he saw the way Kirsikka faltered where she rested, just as he saw the way tendrils of the ground rose up to hold her steady.

The other mages couldn’t work the elements that quickly, although they had their answer for whether or not the others would step aside as they were knocked backwards.

Kirsikka considered ending it with her own shriek and icing them out, but that would drain her too quick, and the Council knew where she was. She had to lose the Council or else she’d endanger everyone. ‘Fuck.’ She rose and tossed a hand backwards, envisioning the first place she could in her mind around water and reflective surfaces. She knew plenty, and it was going to take plenty to get out of this mess. “GO! I’ll follow.” She'd make sure the mages stayed down first, though, as she let the air start to ice. No, she wouldn't blast them like Mont Pellinor, she had to keep her power, but she'd make sure they suffered.

Varick didn’t hesitate, “Come on, Tamsin,” he may not want to go through portals, but he understood right now was a situation where no one got what they wanted. He pulled Marzipan’s reins and sent her through the portal at a gallop, before making sure Tamsin got through.

It didn’t take long for Kirsikka and Drazhan to follow, and as soon as Kirsikka was through, the other portal shut – and she opened up five others. “That one. We’ll have to do this for a bit to lose their trail.”

“Anywhere you can make a portal, they can search for you through rivers,” Varick noted.

“Anywhere, except one,” Kirsikka said, “trust me – I just can’t lead them to it.” Mikhail was going to kill her, but she’d have to drag them all back there and work out the potion for a disguise there, too.

Then again, he’d probably enjoy the pretty bard and rough Primal, with how much he enjoyed Drazhan. Perhaps he’d thank her for the eye candy. “Now go.” Already, a portal had opened, tracing them.

Both Drazhan and Tamsin jumped through the portals as directed, jumping on horseback to make the situation faster. Through one portal and then some more, before coming out in a landscape that was familiar to Drazhan, but not so much for Tamsin.

“Oh, well….this is unexpected, but not unwelcome,” said a familiar voice. Mikhail looked at the newcomers from the front porch of his home. He studied the new faces, a smile appearing on his lips. A rough looking Primal he wouldn’t mind getting angry, and a sweet face of a beautiful woman he had most definitely seen before and spent a fantastic weekend with.

“Tamsin, is that you?”

Tamsin looked up at the person who called her name, and she beamed at the familiar face. “Mikhail!” They had only spent a weekend together, but they still felt like good friends from their time together. She jumped off her horse and ran up to him, and Mikhail met her in a tight hug.

“Wait,” Mikhail said, not quite releasing Tamsin, but just pushing her back enough to look at her in the face and push back some hair. “This is the bard you’ve been looking for?” He looked over at Kirsikka. “She’s the one I told you about in that little story.”

“Talking about me to strangers. I’m flattered.”

“But also,” he looked over at Varick at that moment, “I must be introduced to this delicious looking Primal right here.”

Kirsikka was the last to appear and the portal shut behind her as Mikhail spoke. Thankfully Malina wasn't in sight. "Sorry," Kirsikka said, "I forgot I'm not allowed in public and kind of forgot how upset they were with me after killing a prisoner at the Citadel recently."

"You did what?" Varick found he wasn't actually surprised, just further irate at the entire situation. The only thing that quelled some of that rage was Tamsin's reaction to the stranger near the cottage. It was someone she knew, positively.

He glared as Mikhail made his comment, though answered, "Varick. And in need of immediate answers."

Kirsikka held up her hands, "I can't be found here, so it's safe to get answers."

"Where, precisely, are we at? What town is near and what direction?" That question was clearly directed to Mikhail. "And who are you, and how are you involved in all of this?" There was too much going on, and he wasn't even getting paid or on a job. Usually that was when the nonsense of this degree showed up.

Kirsikka would leave that for Mikhail to answer, though she gestured for Drazhan to follow her as she went to the entryway, noting, "Mikhail I'm going to see if you have any ingredients I need," as a flimsy excuse to leave him with Varick for a few minutes.

Mikhail merely tutted at Kirsikka. “You’ve got to be more careful about that. I assume one of the reasons you came back was to brew a little disguise for yourself? Be careful, it won’t fully make you immune to the wandering gaze of the Council.” She knew that. Any mage would know that.

But he always wanted to warn Kirsikka of any danger, to help protect her. Even during their absence from one another.

“I’m afraid I can’t give that information, no matter how growly you ask it,” Mikhail said with an expression of slight regret to Varick. “Just know that this is protected land, and anyone who comes here may find the solace they seek if on the run. I am not involved in anything, but no violence may be held on my lands. I make sure of that. But as for names, I insist you call me Mikhail.”

Mikhail gave him a look with the statement, then turned towards Tamsin. “Would you two like some tea? You look like you could use some.”

Tamsin smiled, and nodded. “I think we could both use some.”

~~~

Drazhan saw that Kirsikka gestured for him, and so he followed to an area that was notably emptier, though he was suspicious of Malina popping up somewhere unannounced. “This is…getting to be a lot,” he admitted with a sigh. “Obviously, I’m still going to go through with everything with you, but I was not expecting Varick to be accompanying the girl you need.”

And said Primal was trying to pretend Drazhan didn’t exist at all.

Varick wasn’t pleased with the answer, although he supposed he could find out by just walking away. That was what he wanted to know, of course – where he would end up if he just started walking. ‘Well, not knowing hasn’t stopped me before.’ And he may yet do that. “I don’t intend you harm,” he told Mikhail, “I just want to orient myself for when I leave.” He wasn’t sure he was leaving with Kirsikka.

As for tea, “I don’t want any,” he couldn’t trust these damned mages. Mikhail might be fine, but he wasn’t comfortable with any of this. “I ate recently enough,” though he supposed he intended to stay long enough to get answers. “I’ll put the horses up,” his horse, and Tamsin’s.

He didn’t care about Kirsikka or Drazhan enough to really help them…but he still clicked his tongue for their horses to come along. He had no beef with the animals. He could at least make their burdens lighter, Kirsikka and Drazhan sure weren’t doing a good job of it. In any respect. He thought he taught Drazhan better than that.

Either way, a few moments away might help him regroup enough to be patient with answers.

Assuming Tamsin wanted them.

Assuming she wouldn’t breakdown again and making accepting answers impossible. ‘That’s why you have to get them. If she can’t, you have to get them for when she can accept it.’

~***~

Kirsikka resisted the urge to roll her eyes and remind Drazhan he could leave at any time. She shouldn’t be suggesting it was still what she wanted…even if it was, it also wasn’t. She just wanted him safe. His situation was apparently now getting personal with Varick showing up.

“I can always kill him,” Kirsikka suggested, deadpanning it as an option. She probably wouldn’t…but she could. If what he did to Drazhan was really worth murdering him over. That might complicate things with Tamsin, depending on how much Tamsin wanted him alive.

That relationship was still questionable.

A lot of this was still questionable.

Still, Kirsikka went about searching out ingredients in Mikhail’s home for the koukouli potion. ‘Come on Mikhail…why is it always the archespore that’s a pain to find?’ That was why Kirsikka had started getting lax in using the potions she had even before all of this, only using it when necessary, which had grown less thanks to less hunts for her. Two years was a long time to keep a vigilant, diligent search up, after all.

Mikhail did have everything else, though.

“I may tell you later then,” Mikhail said, not fully promising. Maybe he’ll at least help Varick orient himself later. “When you’re done with the horses, Tamsin and I will be inside. I know you don’t want to leave her alone for too long.”

Tamsin rolled her eyes with a smile, and followed Mikhail inside. “So,” he said, getting the teacups down and filling them with tea he had already brewed. As if he could see that he was going to have guests. “You’re the bard they were searching for? I knew there was something special about you when we met, though admittedly, I just thought it was that heavenly voice of yours.”

She shrugged, dropping into a warm chair before Mikhail handed her the tea. “I don’t know what’s going on. All I know is that I have more questions about my own life than answers, and I’m afraid it’s going to drive me insane if something doesn’t start making sense soon.”

“A little piece of advice from a magic user: Nothing in life makes sense, especially magic. Why do you think all mages are a little insane,” he said with a secret smile, taking a seat right next to her.

Tamsin forced a chuckle, before she stopped and shook her head. “Sorry, I guess I’m still just in such a state of shock. I didn’t want to get involved in all this, and yet…”

“And yet it happened anyways? Don’t worry, I think you’re in good company, and you have a rough and growly Primal to be there to hold you when you need it,” Mikhail said with a wink.

~~~

Drazhan was silent for a moment, as if internally debating whether or not to take up on Kirsikka’s offer. Finally, he shook his head. “No, no, don’t kill him. We don’t need that.”

Maybe. Or maybe Varick will just kill Drazhan first, in which case, Drazhan believed that Varick will end up dead.

Something he thought Tamsin wouldn’t take too well to, whatever that relationship was that was going on. Thinking of Varick in any romantic relationship was…odd.

More than odd, even.

“Does Mikhail have everything you need for that potion?” That would be one less thing to worry about…but that would be too easy, wouldn’t it? Nothing had been easy for them thus far, except for actually finding Tamsin.

That had been strangely easy.

Varick was not amused with Mikhail’s knowing comments. Or his knowing ways. It was familiar of mages, though, so he grit his teeth and bore it as he led the horses to the stables and found room for them. He began to untack them, and set their bags to the side on nearby shelves, calmly seeing to it that each horse had food and water nearby.

Trying to calm down.

Looking at Drazhan’s horse didn’t help with that. It reminded him that in the midst of this mage clusterfuck, he was dealing with Drazhan, who was apparently a bodyguard or something for the Literal Boreal Wind. ‘We lucked out.’ In so many ways. In so many terrible ways.

With the horses tended to, he did dig through both Drazhan’s bag, and Kirsikka’s. There was surprisingly little, though given their history of being captured and running slim on supplies, that wasn’t a surprise. Not that Varick knew that history. Still, he expected…more. He expected something, but there was almost nothing personal, and even very little impersonal.

He had no further reason to delay, so he would make his way back to the house to find Tamsin had settled into a chair and had her tea. He took a seat near, “Are you…all right?” Kirsikka and Drazhan apparently hadn’t rejoined.

~***~

No murder. Probably for the best. Kirsikka didn’t have negative memories of Varick. He had helped her grab some ingredients she needed before, and it seemed he’d do so again as she sighed at Drazhan’s question, “No. He’s missing archespore sap. That’s always hard to get,” Drazhan probably knew. They weren’t exactly common fiends.

They weren’t easy to kill, either, though Kirsikka had killed plenty by now just for the sap. “If you want to hop out and get that, sans Varick, I can make a portal to an area that’s usually rife with them and let you get some aggression out.” He could take a mirror so she could grab him later and bring him back.

She didn’t know if he’d accept it or not.

Archespores weren’t fun to fight. Poisonous. That, and he might worry it was just another attempt to get rid of him and she’d send him somewhere safe if he didn’t go with Varick who would have to be pulled back for Tamsin.

Either way, she’d let the offer be open as she heard Mikhail out in the main area, clearly setting up for more of the ‘tea that solves all problems’. ‘It’s not going to solve these….’

Tamsin and Mikhail talked for a little bit more, but when Varick came to rejoin them, Mikhail found an excuse to go and check on Kirsikka and Drazhan, giving the other two some privacy for a moment. Something they’re likely not to have for a while.

She sighed with Varick’s question. “Honestly? I don’t know. But right now? I feel better than I did earlier.” When she could feel her sanity slip away with the revelations Kirsikka and Drazhan had brought.

But she was ignoring it for now. Until she could get more answers.

“What about you? You seem grumpier than usual. What’s wrong?” It had to be more than just his dislike for mages, and Tamsin still didn’t know of his complete history with Drazhan.

~~~

Archespore sap. Drazhan knew why Mikhail didn’t have any.

Kirsikka was correct in stating it was hard to get.

He groaned at her suggestion. Ideally, he would love to get it without Varick, but they were difficult buggers to kill. He may need the help from someone who knew how to kill them like Drazhan did.

Maybe Mikhail would be willing to help him. Could he kill?

Speaking of Mikhail, the man walked into the area at that moment. “Do you need anything else?”

“I suppose you’re not hiding any archespore sap?” Drazhan wondered.

Mikhail sighed and shook his head. “Afraid not. Nasty buggers, I don’t deal with them too often. If you’re going to need to go out and get some, I’ll pay you handsomely to get me some of that sap as well.”

Drazhan sighed. “Looks like I may need to go with Varick to get some.” The extra coin would be useful down the road.

Tamsin was at least doing better. Varick was grateful for that, even if she admitted to her uncertainty. That was…good, in a way. She was at least aware of her precarious state. He didn’t blame her for that. She had two powerful mages tell her she was Something Special, one of them being undead, and the other being the Boreal Wind.

That was nothing to take lightly.

Of course, Tamsin also noticed how he’d been and he huffed. He didn’t want to talk about it, but then again, Tamsin hadn’t wanted to talk about her terrible ex-boyfriend who got angry at the slightest thing. So, he knew he had to.

Communication was key.

“I’m not happy to see Drazhan,” he stated bluntly, “he’s a traitor who cast everything off and puts us at risk every day by acting as a damned mercenary – causing harm to humans for coin,” among other things. They were meant to kill Monsters. Not humans.

Not that Varick was squeaky clean, but he didn’t take gold to hunt humans. That was a line he didn’t care to cross. “No surprise he’s ended up alongside a war criminal who created the necropolis of Mont Pellinor.”

No, he wasn’t happy with either of them.

~***~

Mikhail wasn’t hiding any, which was sad, but expected. Kirsikka nodded, “Figured you wouldn’t. Getting it on the run wasn’t any easier,” she sighed, as it seemed Drazhan was willing to go with Varick. Kirsikka didn’t like the idea. Varick might hurt him. Or worse. And she probably wouldn’t be there, since that whole ‘being seen’ thing was a problem.

“We’ll see how things go with them, then. Speaking of, have they calmed down any?” Kirsikka folded her arms over the counter as she leaned against it, “Tamsin broke down with the suggestion,” which Kirsikka ought to be sympathetic about, given her breakdown over Dravon, but she was a hypocrite.

And Tamsin clearly knew she had powers and was something Other. No reason for a breakdown if she already knew things. Sure, she didn’t know the gravity of it all, but still.

“Not too concerned about Varick, but if she’s still not in a state to take information in, then I can give them more space.” It would be pointless to try and say anything to her before she was ready to listen. And Mikhail seemed to know Tamsin, so he might have an idea as to whether or not she was ready to talk.

Tamsin frowned when she thought Varick wasn’t going to give her any information on why he’d been huffier than usual, but he folded, which Tamsin didn’t exactly smile at, but it did make her feel better. She scooted her chair slightly closer to Varick as he explained what was going on, and why he didn’t want to be around that other Primal.

A long, painful history, it seemed.

“And you’re helping me, someone who is now marked for bounty, and after you said we would go our separate ways in Ritherhithe. And yet…” she reached over and gently squeezed his thigh in a loving gesture.

“I guess what I’m saying, is that sometimes things happen that we didn’t mean to happen. Maybe what you need is to just talk to Drazhan, without any violence involved at all, please. Perhaps there will be a bit more to the story than you like to think, because it makes it easier for you to process your own emotions and justify your anger towards him.”

But then again, she had no idea of anything, she was only guessing what was going on in Varick’s mind.

~~~

Mikhail nodded, “Yeah, Tamsin seems to be better after talking and having some tea.” Some of his famous ‘calm-down’ tea, which, really, was just filled with herbs he grew that were known for sedative properties.

Not to completely knock out someone, but to calm them down when on the verge of hysterics, which he seemed to harbor those close to it recently. He didn’t complain, though. He always wanted to help when he could. But first Kirsikka, his sister Malina when they were finally alone, then Tamsin.

“But can you blame the poor girl for breaking down? Last I knew her, she was a simple bard with a phenomenal voice. And now she’s some magical being?”

Drazhan let out a noise. “That would cause any sane person to break down, and we should be a bit more sympathetic towards that response,” he gave Kirsikka a look with that.

“He’s right, you know,” Mikhail agreed. “Especially with young bards who already had been dealt a heavy hand in life.”

Apparently, Tamsin wanted to compare herself to a war criminal. Despite seeing Mont Pellinor. Varick was hardly amused with that, and it showed on his expression. He didn’t soften over her idea of speaking with Drazhan over it. Was she trying to imply there was a relationship like theirs between Drazhan and Kirsikka?

Drazhan was stupid but…that stupid? Surely, Drazhan had his limits.

“My anger towards him is justified. Drazhan meant to leave,” Varick stated flatly. “Whatever his decision with Kirsikka, he’s made it, just as he abandoned every Primal. I have no need to talk to him further.” He would do what was necessary. That was it. ‘I wouldn’t ask you to confront your ex.’ He knew the situation was quite different there, a notable power imbalance.

He and Drazhan also had a bit of that, though it was in his favor, and he knew it. All the more reason to just not press it. He didn’t need this ending violently, either. “There’s no comparison between my decision to stay at your side and his decision to abandon everything and everyone who cared for him.”

~***~

“I’ve given her space,” Kirsikka said as Mikhail and Drazhan seemed to suggest she needed to be more sympathetic. Perhaps she did, but she’d leave the Primals to do that. Or Mikhail. Someone had to actually be honest.

Kirsikka could give Tamsin time and space to adjust.

“I suppose I’ll go see if she wants to talk. You don’t have to come, Drazhan,” the conversation didn’t really need him. He might agitate it more, but she also wouldn’t stop him as she stepped into the room to find Varick and Tamsin quite close.

Touching.

Well, no, killing Varick was definitely not going to get her any points with Tamsin. “Sorry to interrupt,” Kirsikka said, at least keeping her voice soft so as not to be too disruptive, “I thought I would come in and talk now, if you’re ready. I’m here to answer what questions I can, but I don’t have all the answers yet.”

Tamsin sighed at Varick’s expression and the words he had to offer. She wouldn’t get to him, and apparently she couldn’t even fully understand the situation. The only other person that would help right now was Drazhan, and she hardly imagined that the man wanted to speak with Varick over what happened.

So Tamsin didn’t offer any encouraging words. There was nothing she could say to make that situation better.

Fortunately, in that moment, Kirsikka came back out, sans Drazhan for the moment. Tamsin straightened up, removing her hand from Varick. She did glance at him once more before fully turning her attention to Kirsikka, and nodded. “I think I’m ready to talk some.” But she already knew the other woman couldn’t answer the biggest question weighing on Tamsin’s mind.

What was she?

“I’m ready to fully listen to what you have to say first, before I fire off my questions.”

~~~

Drazhan stayed behind as Kirsikka went out, not fully prepared to be in the same room as Varick.

Something Mikhail easily picked up on. “You want to talk to him, don’t you?”

Drazhan made a slight noise in his throat, before sighing and nodding. “I do, but he’s not exactly the talking type, and I doubt a few decades apart has changed that.”

“You’re right, he seems to be more of the growling and huffing sort, which may be attractive, but not great for when you want to talk things out.” Drazhan tried to not mentally picture the mage and Varick in any sort of compromising position.

That was a nightmare right there.

Kirsikka resisted the urge to ask what more there was to say. She knew she hadn’t said much, but everything else felt like fluff. Of course, it was often in the fluff that other answers were found, so she nodded, “Very well,” she could begin easily enough.

“Long before you were born, I was looking into old tales. One of those tales was about something called the White Sun. It was never really clear what the White Sun was, or even if it was a good or evil entity. However, the White Sun, or things like it, are a part of multiple creation myths – the White Star, the White Wisp, the White Light…it’s in a lot..”

Varick, of course, was frowning – though he knew some of the stories. He didn’t interject.

“The sum of these tales talks of a day where a White Sun never sat. It stayed in the East, ever burning, through day and night. They were particular about that. You could see the stars at night, as well as this White Sun. I realized, even in antagonizing the stories, they couldn’t be real. Not as it was written, and I looked for more information on it, for the history of this tale. I suppose it was my existential crisis phase, too,” one connection, “Why am I, Why is Magic – but for a creation story, it doesn’t indicate the creation of elves. The White Sun was the creation of Shadow, which for the elves was everything bad. Including humans.”

No need to sugarcoat it. Certainly Tamsin understood why elves disliked humans. Varick didn’t argue that, either, though he looked impatient for Kirsikka to get to the point.

“Before Pomachion became overrun with monsters, I was able to do some studying there, but I went around the world for answers. And the White Sun wasn’t always in the East. It depended on who told the story, but it all began to zero in on the area of Pomachion, which is where I went back to try and find it, and when I went back, I began to have dreams. Not…my own dreams. I think they were influenced by the White Sun. It dreamt of you.”

It also dreamt of an icy hellscape, but she wasn’t going to mention that.

“When I finally arrived at the place the White Sun was sealed, I met with Dravon briefly. He’s being forced to help the White Sun.”

Varick snorted. Doubt. Kirsikka disregarded it.

“But he thinks you’re the key to its undoing.”

Tamsin sat and listened to the story in silence, soaking up each word Kisikka spoke, even as she wanted to interrupt. Even as she wanted to scream and say that what Kirsikka was telling her was ridiculous.

It was old stories! So old, that even she did not know them, and Kirsikka had to research them for decades, it appeared, which reminded Tamsin of how old the mage was.

Older than Varick, even.

And Kirsikka had dreams of her. Or the White Sun did…either way, it was confusing. And then there was damn Dravon again, being a puzzle to everyone around him.

“So am I to help undo a story.” The idea was absolutely insane.

“I sing about grand adventures. I sing about stories of heroes and villains and great conquests, but I’m not supposed to be in them!” And yet, the exact opposite was happening. She sighed and looked down at her hands resting in her lap.

This was beginning to be too much.

“How exactly am I this key to its undoing? Why me?”

“You can’t undo a story, Tamsin,” Kirsikka said, shaking her head, “you only add on to it,” none of them could undo the history. They could only change the future. The story itself would never be undone, it would be available for all of time.

So long as time persisted.

Tamsin had more questions without answers. “I don’t know,” she said again, “I’m sure Dravon knows, and I’m also sure we’re all in agreement that we can’t take that risk that he knows.” Kirsikka might have, if it was just her. No, she would have, if it was just her. She’d bet plenty of things on Dravon being right…

…until he got beheaded in front of her.

“I imagine figuring out the how lies in figuring out your power, or our possible connection. If it’s true that we’re connected, and you’re some sort of endless source of power, well, there’s plenty I can do with that.”

Varick’s eyes narrowed, “You’re not going to use her as a power source. It’s–”

“If it’s necessary, Tamsin can make her own decisions about the risks and recourses, but we don’t even know how true, or false, it is yet. Let alone if we want to try that approach. We don’t know if I can even hurt the White Sun. We’re not that far along, Varick.”

Varick kept the frown, but it was a bit…less intense. Kirsikka wasn’t actually rushing. She was admitting a lack of knowledge. She wasn’t trying to drag them to the White Sun and Dravon immediately.

He wanted to ask about the dagger, but held his tongue. That was for Tamsin to bring up, not him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back