• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Pokémon Rebirth Pt.1- IC [Closed]

Characters
Here
The Durant looked to the two that had come closer, eyeing them down. While the woman would only receive a parting glance, his attention fell onto the new man more. Something about this one annoyed him more than the others. He would figure out why soon enough.
He had just started to turn his body toward this new one, prepared to pounce, when Jarid's hand blocked his view of the Hostage's estranged fellow.
"Enough." he growled, as he looked back down at his cards.

He stared down at the card he had flipped over with slight bemusement. Citizen. Ironic, with his history. Apparently this culture thought it was funny.
He shook his head and leaned back in his chair, watching the dealer's compatriots leave their chairs without a fuss. Odd, to say the least. He seemed to be fairly liberal with the invitation to take from the bowl of food, too. The bowl Jarid seemingly refused to take anything from. He also glanced at the two newcomers to the table. Both had arrived the same time as him. And while that makes them absolved of any suspicion, they might just get in the way if things went south.

Perhaps he was being paranoid. Perhaps the dealer was just that giving of a person and that bored that he was totally okay with bringing them into his card game. Unfortunately, such friendly nature struck poorly with Jarid. Red flags were present everywhere, and while he knew it seemed ridiculous...

Something felt...Off.

Tarhanet was clearly the right play. There was nothing quite like winning-even if it might have been beginner's luck. This trip into the unknown and arid desert was slowly turning into something much better than he had expected. Though that might be in part due to Hugo's arrival and clear participation as a geologist. Anai'is was already thinking of the ways that he could spend some quality time with his sibling, mind coming up with a multitude of ideas to bring them closer. He'd have to write their parents a letter with the joyous news as they would no doubt be ecstatic to see them working together.

Riding the coat tails from the high of winning, Anai'is was far more smug than he ought to be. While there was a winning pattern, this clearly wasn't so serious of a game as much as he had thought. Initially, the Archeologist had believed that the man was going to humiliate them; though there was still a chance for that to occur, it seemed less likely now. Truthfully, he was surprised that the man wasn't trying to take them down a peg or shame them. Then again, he didn't know enough about the culture to really determine what their hospitality or their view on foreigners was. He could very easily be judging them too quickly, and given the appetizers on the table... Well, they seemed friendly right now. Looking at the offer of food, Anai'is didn't accept just yet, simply because the man didn't know just what it was that he was eating. Of course, that didn't mean he didn't appreciate the hospitality. It just meant that Anai'is cared for far more that Hugo was now joining the table and it meant he could spend some true quality time with the other man.

"I don't believe we're betting anything right now, though I'm not against adding a bit of money to the board." The man replied to his brother, eyes bright and expression still irritatingly smug for someone who'd only gotten lucky on the first round. "Let's move onto the second," he directed towards the man at the head of the table while the rest of his companions took their seats.

He spared them all only a brief glance, eyes taking in their expressions before he looked right back at the cards.

"We'll see just how far our luck runs."

Last edited:
As the other men at the table got up to make room for her, Skye moved to take one of their seats, taking the far seat so that the brothers could sit next to each other. She guessed that would be what they'd want to do, anyways, right? As she sat down, she unslung her bag from her back and set it on the floor next to her leg. With the unslinging motion, Cirrus hopped off her shoulder and onto the table once again. The curious Eevee stepped over to the appetizer and sniffed at it hesitantly, looking the plate over a few times before deciding it wasn't terribly interesting and trotting his way back to Skye. She gave a small chuckle, briefly petting Cirrus, to which the Eevee squealed happily.

Taking a moment to breathe and relax, Skye looked over the game they were playing, and frowned. She didn't know how to play, but the cards they were using looked interesting enough. Clearly they were unlike anything she'd seen before, so it must be tied to the local culture. And if there's anything also strongly tied to local culture, it's the folklore they pass down. But the cards were in use right now, and the game was ongoing. She didn't have the chance to fully study them. Reaching for an appetizer, Skye took a bit and sniffed at it, much like how her Eevee had done, and then took a tentative bite. Well, it was certainly different, but not bad. She'd have to ask later what exactly it was.

Cirrus, on the other hand, had quickly grown bored. He'd spent all day sitting on the back of a Hippowdon, and sitting around more watching a card game was the last thing he wanted to do. So, while Skye was distracted watching, the small Eevee hopped off the table and onto the floor. He took a look around, as if gauging where to go next. The bar looked crowded, the nice musician from earlier busy playing her music. Briefly, he remembered seeing an old man spill his drink, and wondered what exactly it was he had been drinking. Was the drink why he moved so weirdly? Did he need help? Curious and concerned, Cirrus made his way over in that direction, doing his best to not get trampled and not stay underfoot of the other patrons.

When he reached the table, the first thing Cirrus noticed was that the drink that had been spilt was rather sticky. It clung to his paws and smelled rather foul. He hopped up onto the chair, and then onto the table, which was even more sticky. Disgusting. Taking a moment to clean is paws with his tongue, he then fixed the man and Combusken with a quizzical look, tilting his head, and making a confused sound.

- - - -
Mentions: DevylCakes DevylCakes welian welian
Interactions: That plastered man and the passed out chicken

When he heard another visitor ask who was winning, Hugo cracked a small grin. He wanted to antagonize his step-brother further, truly – but the card dealer seemed to be both creepy and genuinely enjoying the events. While Hugo was always up for bothering people he didn’t like, he couldn’t bring himself to be a brat to a complete stranger in the very beginning of an expedition.

But then, all the man’s friends left the table, and the scary guy’s equally scary-looking Durant was eyeing him like a piece of meat, and in that moment, Hugo felt… honestly, pretty intimidated. If he had asked his friends to leave the table to make room for guests, they would have laughed in his face.

“Y-yeah, sure,” he said reluctantly, and his eye twitched ever so slightly when the other young woman took the chair he was hoping to sit in, leaving him forced to sit next to Anai’is. He reached for Squiggles and placed the extra glass of water in front of his brother, before placing the lopsided Lotad in his lap so she could watch. Squiggles, of course, was wiggling with excitement to see family around – although she might have also been dancing to the music heard in the din of the bar.

“Whoever, you can have this lucky rock,” Hugo added, placing a fresh piece of bright pink bubble gum in the middle of the table. It was wrapped in blue paper, with a little logo of the gym leader Nessa on it, who Hugo definitely did not have a raging celebrity crush on.

“Oh, no, wait…”

He left the gum on the table, but also placed down a cool-looking rock he had found yesterday in the desert, during one of the rest stops. It may have also been the rock he accidentally bit a few hours ago, but he brushed his teeth, so it was fine. Probably.

"I guess I can share the gum, too..."

City of Menva, Hollow Sands Inn – 21:00
Without any wager, a card game like Yaelu had nothing to offer apart from friendly competition, or so one could assume. There still was something to gain from this; information. The man had taken interest the moment the party entered the Hollow Sands Inn. Judging by the raging sandstorm outside, it was likely because the place offered shelter, but he could have never expected they’d ‘seek shelter’ at his table. It was a convenient turn of events, to say the least. It allowed for closer observation. Yet, their musings amongst one another, the way they played Yaelu, only provided enough to make mere assumptions. Nothing concrete was being brought to the table. Until the new arrival holding a beer spoke up. The passing comment compelled his opponent to voice his willingness to raise the stakes on their game.

“I see no reason why we couldn’t,” the man replied, his emerald eyes glinting with intrigue, “but money is a… crude resource to wage war over, would you not agree?” He gestured towards the cards – their ongoing ‘war’ – and produced a more serious expression. Setting his finger down firmly on the card he’d placed down before him, he shared a glance with everyone seated at the table. Locking eyes with Hugo the same moment he set a piece of gum and a smooth, pinkish rock onto the table. The man recognized it as Eviolite. But, the way it was brought to the table warranted a short, confused expression still. “Also… not exactly what I had in mind? Would you not agree information is a more valuable… commodity? I have some questions, and you all…” the man purposefully moved his gaze and let it linger on Jarid as he spoke his next words, “must have some of your own too. But! Before we decide to up the ante I need something from you all…”

For a moment, the man paused. His expression bringing forth an uneasy tension. And then immediately broke it by dropping the façade he’d so diligently tried to keep up during his minor monologue by laughing heartily. “Your names! Surely it is a… cultural difference? I simply cannot see another reason why you’d hesitate to introduce yourselves. But, as is common courtesy, I shall provide mine first. You may call me Asif. Now, please, do not hesitate! Share, share!”

Mentioned: -
Interactions: Noivian Noivian DevylCakes DevylCakes welian welian Zahzi Zahzi
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While the people seated at the table may have been too occupied to notice Cirrus wander off, something still took notice. Another Pokémon emerged from the shade underneath the table. Taking interest in the Eevee and slowly lumbering after him. Surely the Eevee wouldn’t travel far from his trainer, thus there was little reason to walk any faster than a slow saunter.

As the lumbering Pokémon took its time to close the distance, Cirrus came face to face with the old man. In a moment of ‘clarity’, the man noticed something had changed before his eyes. Yet, it took a moment to realize that something was an Eevee and not some blurry, leftover food or small keg of beer that’d found its way onto the table. Once he did, however, he immediately began spouting a seemingly endless stream of slurred words. “You! ‘t wasn’t like… t-that, it, I didn’t know he’d be there… ‘twas too bright… Ol’ Blitz… Ol’ Blitz and t-that…” Suddenly, and momentarily, the man’s eyes cleared up and he slammed his fist down onto the table – in front of Cirrus. “Blitz pinned the blame… on me! Ruined… ruined everything… Go ask him! You know w-where, you blasted fox!!”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Interactions: Cirrus ( Noivian Noivian )

Last edited:
Skye's chewing of the food slowed as she felt the tension at the table rise. Her eyes widened, much like her cheeks had while she stuffed her face, and she darted glances around to the others seated at the table, as if expecting this local to start pulling a weapon on them. The panic that so eagerly washed over her rapidly dissipated upon hearing him start to laugh heartily. This was a joke, yes? The locals must see all kinds of foreign scientists come through, they were not the first outsiders here. It would make sense, then, that they would turn spooking the newcomers into a game of sorts. And he did have a point - they were kind of rude for not introducing themselves.

With a slight inhale and a hard gulp, followed by a rapid exhale and a few pounds of her chest, Skye coughed a few times and cleared her throat. "Yes, sorry! Where are my manners, coming in here and eating your food without even introducing myself! My name's Skye Finnegan, and I'm a historian. And this is... my... partner..." Her words trailed off as she turned to see where Cirrus was previously sitting, only to find him not sitting there anymore. "... Cirrus?" she called questioningly over her shoulder, looking about rapidly, scanning the bar and tables nearby. "Has anyone seen a stray Eevee around here?"

Meanwhile, Cirrus tilted his head to the side, trying to understand the old man's ramblings. Ol' Blitz? Bright? The Eevee jumped with a shrill yelp when the old man's fist connected with the table, rattling the flatware and cups still present on the surface. Cirrus' ears flattened down, and he curled back, shaking in sudden fear. What did the old man think Cirrus knew? Who in the world was Blitz? Briefly, he glanced to the Combusken, wondering if that name would fit the passed-out Pokemon beside the old man. ”Yeah… I… don’t think I want to be here anymore…” Cirrus mumbled to himself, ears flattening.

As he turned and hopped off the table onto a nearby chair, though, he paused, feeling a tingling down his spine. It caused his tail to fluff up somewhat dramatically, and he shook himself, looking around. He got the feeling something was following him, or watching him... something. He scanned the darkness of the floor, watching for movement....

- - - -
Interactions: Paperface Paperface

Last edited:
Jarid's attention slowly returned to the one who introduced himself as Asif. The man's disarming, friendly nature only seemed to make him more a focus of scrutiny. And not just to the armored man, but to the Durant on his shoulder, whom, the entire time he spoke, seemed to fixate on him, and poised itself to jump right at their face. Trust issues, probably? Either that or it was just a tiny vessel of violence and ill-will that just found its next target. Yeah, that. Probably that.

Dremel Jumped off Jarid's shoulder in an attempt to silence first the overly friendly one. THEN THE ROCK BOY..!
This all, fortunately, amounted to nothing, as Jarid caught the Durant by the abdomen with his metallic arm and pinned him to the table.
"Now I KNOW I told you to stop this." he growled, before looking back to Asif.

"While I do not condone his current thought process, I understand it. Where we're from, public displays of friendliness like this are tantamount to a trap waiting to be sprung." He looked back down to Dremel, who had finally calmed down. He released him and the Durant, while keeping a constant death-glare at Asif as it walked back onto its perch on Jarid's shoulder.

"But so be it. If it gets this moving along, you can call me Jarid. And if this indeed turns out to be a trap, it will be fun watching Dremel flay you alive."

....Riiiiight. They're BOTH violent sociopaths.........

Hugo stared at Jarid, jaw hanging open in abject horror. Squiggles seemed unbothered by the Durant’s brazen display of semi-contained violence, but Stonelick McGee was, well… he was scared. Somehow, he got the impression that said rabid insect had somehow already captured and eaten Skye’s dear Cirrus. Of course, he hadn’t heard of a Durant eating an Eevee in nature before, but you learned something new every day.

Hugo scooted his chair closer to Anai’is, just in case.

“Ooookay… Well, I’m Hugo, representing Professor Palmer from the Wyndon Geology Association, and this is one of my partners, Squiggles –“

“LO-TAAAAAAD!”
Sploosh.

Hugo flinched, his eyes shut tight, bracing himself for the inevitable splash of water. However, he was dry. The same could not be said for… oh. Oh no.

Squiggles the Lopsided Lotad jumped up on the table and sprayed Dremel and Jarid instead, with a light Water Gun. It wasn’t more than a couple spoonfuls of water, but an assault was an assault all the same.

“You smell like wet Houndour!” she declared to the sociopaths in Pokemon-speak, not that it sounded like anything other than “Tad-lo-tad!” to the humans at the table. This was foolproof, she decided – if these people felt uncomfortable with friendliness, then she would simply show friendship by being mean to them! It was a flawless plan, and she decided to celebrate her 200 IQ tactic by doing a jaunty disco shimmy.

“We start a dance party! Then we find Cirrus! Make friends with the lost Eevee and the meanie-face Durant”/”Lotad-lotad-lotad!!”

This was wonderful – she was being so helpful, helping Hugo make friends! It was exactly what his mommy would have wanted! However, it was not what Hugo wanted. He slumped down in his seat, dying of embarrassment.

"... How about I just... pay drinks tonight...?"

A familiar noise cause Anai'is attention, stealing it away momentarily from the game and conversation laid out before him. The weight of Squiggles, a very loopy yet wonderfully adorable companion, distracted the archeologist further. He moved his hands towards the sides of the pokemon, his eyes softening as he moved to address the creature fondly.

"Squiggles, you're only allowed to be there if you behave." He spoke chidingly, though it was very clear that there wasn't a hint of firmness in his tone. He seemed more... Playful. As if he hadn't just been devising some methodical plan to win against this local and brag about his intelligence after. It was as if a switch had been flipped and the game was now no longer important in the wake of his family's presence. Even his distrust of the group, as well as the man across from him, was all but forgotten by the appearance of his sibling and their Lotad. Nothing mattered more than the pokemon currently shimmying in his lap or the way his brother seemed to wilt with embarrassment from its endearing actions.

Well, he had thought nothing else mattered.

The way his card companion was acting was very concerning. He'd already begun to dislike the man after having called him a hostage and after having seen how he played earlier. The actions of the man and his Dremel raised a warning flag within his mind, creeping into his contentment with the family bonding to pull on his brotherly instincts. All made more apparent when Hugo scooted closer to him.

Straightening up his posture, Anai'is leaned back enough to rest his arm along the back of Hugo's chair almost like a 'shield.' He let the smooth and arrogant smile fade in favor of something more... Professional. It was a cold expression-rigid and less forgiving than any he had shared with any of them previously. The only person he truly cared about at the table was his sibling and Hugo knew what he was like in a serious situation so it didn't matter if any of them felt uncomfortable with the sudden change in his presence. Anai'is just wanted to ensure that he and his brother were safe.

He regarded Jarid calmly before cutting his gaze towards Asif in order to determine just how much of a threat either of the men might be if a fight broke out. Not that he fully believed one might, it was just better to be prepared than caught completely weaponless. Which brought the idea to mind that perhaps Anai'is should bring out one of his pokemon... Perhaps his Onix?

Deciding that he should wait to see if anyone displayed further antagonistic actions, Anai'is let the thought go for now. It wasn't as if he wanted to destroy this lovely establishment (especially since he'd just purchased it). Besides, bringing out one of his own pokemon might only intensify the tension and discomfort brought on by "Jarid." Easing the tension out of his frame, Anai'is drifted his gaze to Asif and allowed a more charming expression to melt his features into something softer. A form of "damage control," as his mother might say.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, I am Anai'is-Squiggles' occasional companion whenever they desire." He greeted politely just before his gaze cut right back towards Jarid and Skye-names of the rest of his traveling companions that he seemed to "meet" just now.

How quaint.

City of Menva, Hollow Sands Inn - 21:14
Luckily, Asif did not have to resort to forcing out another ‘ice-breaker’ before somebody spoke up. Hopefully prompting the others to follow suit. Turning his gaze upon the girl, Asif’s smile widened while listening intently to her words. Hoping to catch anything exceptional amidst the introduction. But alas, nothing out of the ordinary. Not in this area at least. People with a scientific background and an interest in history were a common occurrence in Menva. Yet, being the first to speak up in an unfamiliar setting was an act of bravery to be sure. Something that Asif wouldn’t have expected from her quiet appearance. Perhaps more reserved and calculating?

Asif’s internal musings halted when interrupted by Skye introducing a partner that wasn’t present at the table. An Eevee that went by Cirrus by the looks of it. Asif hadn’t seen the Pokémon leave, but it made him shift in his chair. Using his foot to feel around the floor beneath the table’s cover. When he found nothing there, he managed to put himself at ease again. Knowing the situation was being handled by one he could trust. “A stray Eevee? I don’t believe I have, but with the sands outside I’m sure Cirrus wouldn’t… venture out. Surely your Pokémon would not stray far from you?”

He would have continued his attempt to put Skye at ease if it weren’t for the distinct feeling he was being watched with malicious intent. Ah, right, the Durant. A realization that would’ve come too late if the armored man hadn’t stopped the angry ant’s lunge by pinning it to the table. Exerting his dominance by growling at the Pokémon before turning his attention to Asif. Explaining himself, as well as tossing in a ‘casual’ threat of murder. “Jarid, we have a… proverb, a saying amongst the sands.”

Asif paused, his expression turning blank for a moment as he attempted to translate the words. “For they be as others do,” he uttered, unsure if the words made sense after translation, “that others have done this to you, does not mean I will. I have little reason to do so, after all.” He mused, finishing the sentence with his signature smile. Yet, whether he did so in an attempt to put the man at ease, or further provoke him with his kindness remained unclear.

Then, the words of Hugo drew Asif’s attention. Introducing himself as well as his partner in the same manner as Skye had moments ago. The only difference being that the Lotad, Squiggles, was actually present at the table. And what a presence at that. Sparing no seconds, the Pokémon demanded the undivided attention as it sprayed the metallic duo with a Water Gun. “Tharwat jayida!” Asif exclaimed heartily before regaining his composure, “My apologies, it means ‘good fortune’. Being given water by a Pokémon that is not your own is a… blessing of sorts. You will understand why once you’ve been in the desert for a while, no doubt.”

And finally, the last to introduce themselves also seemed to be the most composed of the four. Both providing some insight into the relationship between him and Hugo via Squiggles, as well as preventing the shimmying Squiggles from causing further disruption. “It’s a pleasure to meet you all as well. And with the… formalities taken care of our game is officially on. Now, I am no… charlatan. Since I lost our last round of Yaelu, feel free to ask a question before we continue. If you so desire.”

As Cirrus scanned the floor for movement, something approached from behind. Only making its presence known once it was within reach of the Eevee… by causing the chair to shift as the Slowpoke placed his head down onto the seat with a thud. Opening its mouth wide to let out a slow “hellooooo…” Finding his head slipping off the chair as he spoke, he brought up two plump paws to rest on either side of his head. Holding on to the chair as he let the rest of his body lazily hang after it. Partially laying out over the floor. “You… left… whyyy?”

Before the slowpoke was able to receive a response from Cirrus, something disturbed them both. The old man from before had gotten up from his chair. Seemingly infuriated by Cirrus ‘ditching’ him, he attempted to give chase. Only managing to get his foot caught behind a table leg and falling forward onto the floor. The situation only angering the drunk further. “Blasted fox! You th-think I’m done? HAH! Ha…” Still eager to give chase – despite causing quite the scene – the man tried to get back on his feet. Something that proved difficult due to his inebriated state.

“We should… gooo… Leave him… for Dusclops…” the Slowpoke suggested, lazily nudging his head in the direction of the Ghost-Type coming over to assess the situation.

Interactions: Cirrus ( Noivian Noivian )

While with the current track history of both Jarid and Dremel, one could easily assume they would take the response of being blasted with water by some stunted Lotad as an insult worthy of violence, it seemed like both would remain where they were. Jarid looked over at the offended Lotad and chuckled.
"If nothing else, it removed the grime from outside from my helmet. Besides. A small refreshment in the heat of this place is.....Welcome." he told Asif, leaning back in his chair.

Dremel seemed to be calm as well. While it seemed to stare at the Lotad as well, its mouth open, he seemed to be qui-
"YOU SON OF A WHORE IF YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN I AM GOING TO RIP OFF YOUR PIECE OF SHIT LEAF AND WEAR IT ON MY FUCKING HEAD DO YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND ME YOU LITTLE END TABLE LOOKIN' MOTHERFUCKER!?"
Yeah, uh....We don't even need to hear past the Pokemon's screeching to know that was a threat, right? Right....?

"....Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dremel feels the same way." he muttered. Whether or not he was being serious or sarcastic was unknown...
He leaned forward, his stare back on Asif.
"As for your saying, while it sounds nice, and I'm sure it's for the most part genuine, I will still take my approach and expect the worst every time. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised."

Squiggles chirped with glee, and nuzzled Anai’is’s face. Unlike a certain someone, the lopsided Lotad was thrilled to be part of a blended family. This Durant though… Squiggles turned to Dremel, her expression briefly turning quite stern (for her, at least).

“You shouldn’t watch so many action movies. They rot your brains and teach you impolite words.”

And then she went back to being adorable, namely by jumping down and looking around the bar’s floor for an Eevee.

Hugo, meanwhile, seeing that no one (no human, at least) seemed to be out to murder him, relaxed a bit. He would still pay for drinks of course, on account of Squiggles being an idiot, but she was cute and would hopefully be easily forgiven.

“Really? Well, uh, tharwat jayida to you too, then! I heard water Pokemon sometimes have it rough in the desert. I hope she’ll be okay, though. I packed a lot of water and sunscreen. I’ve got Brisket too, to help out. He likes heat. And I... I'm looking forward to working with you all."

He was not.

As Squiggles clambered off of his lap and moved onto her next target for attention, Anai'is felt a brief flash of disappointment rise within him. He had always enjoyed the pokemon's company, especially given that his pokemon weren't quite as... Affectionate. Archie's form of affection was laying down on him and nearly crushing him whilst his Onix only seemed to be happy when Anai'is was feeding him snacks. While it might be cute seeing an Onix wiggle and sway like a dancing snake, it wasn't enough to fill the emptiness of his heart. Regardless, he knew it wouldn't be long before Squiggles wandered back seeking attention.

Keeping his arm where it was and his body still in that 'relaxed' position, the man looked at the table and listened as each person spoke and furthered the conversation. It seemed less tense than before, something the Archeologist appreciated greatly given he really hadn't wanted to destroy his newly purchased building. It also helped that there was some form of camaraderie beginning to build. Though that just could have been due to the fact that Asif seemed well versed in dispersing tension and drawing interest.

Not that it mattered because Hugo chose to say the perfect words to put Anai'is perfectly at ease: I'm looking forward to working with you all.

A dazzling and brilliant smile appeared on the man's sharp features, melting any tension or coldness immediately from his body. He practically beamed with how utterly delighted he was. It didn't matter that it was a simple phrase spoken out of politeness or social niceties-no. It only mattered that 'you all' included all of them, even him. Of course, he was completely unaware of the fact that his brother didn't mean it. In Anai'is' mind, he fully believed that he was included in that phrase. Anyone who knew them well would have understood that Anai'is was indeed not included in that phrase as there would never be any way possible that Hugo could look forward to working, or being, anywhere near him.

"I have an Arcanine and an Onix that I'm more than certain will be helpful while we're here. I would bring them out to greet you but I don't think that'd be too great of an idea." He spoke, head tilting to the side as he gestured towards Hugo. "Especially as Archie is still upset with Hugo for paying more attention to Penelope. He might be the tiniest bit spoiled." Anai'is laughed, eyes turning into small crescent moons from happiness. However, the expression lasted only momentarily as it came time to do some "business." Leaning forward with a more serious expression, the Archeologist placed his full attention on Asif.

"Now, I believe you said we could ask you a question since we won the last round, no?" Anai'is inquired, though it was in full rhetoric. He gestured towards the cards they had just played with, his eyes bright with interest. "I was hoping you might be able to tell me more about this card game... More specifically, about the cards themselves. They're rather old, but the detail is still there. Who are the people on the cards-are they modeled after people that once truly existed? How did they inspire this card game?" The man inquired, one question seeming to roll right after the other with his curiosity until he realized his mistake.

"My apologies, I seemed to have asked five things instead of one, but I'm sure you understand. History is fascinating."

After introducing herself and incurring mild panic about her missing Eevee, Skye settled as Asif's words began to sink in. Right, there was a sandstorm outside. Besides, Cirrus couldn't open doors. If he was anywhere, it was within this room, and given the stern look from the Dusclops earlier, she doubted anyone would try Poke-napping in a crowded bar in the middle of a sandstorm. But Cirrus was still inexperienced in battle, and should push come to shove for whatever reason, she wasn't entirely sure he could defend himself. Still, he forced herself to relax. Cirrus would find his way back, or the Dusclops would find him first.

Her attention was quickly relocated to the card game, when the local offered to answer a question. And initially she leaned in to ask, but was beaten to the punch by the guy who'd introduced himself as Anai'is. Which made sense in her retrospect - he had won the round, it was his question to ask. She brought around her pack and pulled out her notebook, flipping to a new page to keep her notes from the performer and the notes from the questions here separate.

Cirrus gave a small yelp when the chair shifted, and whirled on the new source of movement. Seeing it was just a Slowpoke, and a friendly one at that, he let out a soft sigh of relief. He opened his mouth to respond to the question of why, but jumped yet again when the old man started to yell. Briefly taking a moment to de-fluff his tail for a second time, Cirrus nodded to the Slowpoke's notion. "Yeah... I need to find Skye..." Hopping down off the chair, Cirrus trotted a distance away, looking around the room and rotating his ears to listen to all the sounds, searching for the sound of Skye's voice, or the voices of the people at the table the two of them had initially sat down at. He stood there for a bit, both uncertain which direction to go in and waiting for the Slowpoke to catch up.

- - - -

City of Menva, Hollow Sands Inn - 21:28

Despite the sandstorm raging outside preventing any sight of it, night had begun to set in. And with it, the sands began to cool under the dim light of the moon. With the shelter provided by the Hollow Sands Inn, the patrons hadn't suffered the full extent of the heat outside, nor the storm, but could still feel the space becoming more comfortable. Yet, the faint chill in the air made it clear one should be thankful for the warmth the Inn provided as well. It seemed nature had prepared a freezing night to offset the blistering heat.

With the patrons becoming progressively more inebriated as the evening progressed, the Inn would always be more lively during the later hours. The chatter became louder, the patrons brasher. Some in a good way. Breaking out in song and dance along with the musician setting the tune. Some in a bad way. Taking every word and movement from others as an insult to their character. While the bartender and his Dusclops did a good job to balance out the serving and peacekeeping, there was no way to justify putting people outside in the storm. Thus, they were escorted upstairs to sleep off their drunken state.

This too was the fate of the agitated drunk and his Combusken. Being taken upstairs by the Dusclops before any harm would befall the two Pokemon the drunk had directed his anger towards. The Slowpoke noted the Dusclops' effective handling of the situation and deemed the immediate threat had been resolved. Allowing him to leisurely catch up to the Eevee. Seemingly still in some form of distress based on the Pokemon's rapid ear movements. “Lost..?” the Slowpoke inquired and, without waiting for a response, set off in the direction of the table. Having no difficulty navigating a place he'd been to many times before. “Follow nooow... and tell... why you are here..?”

Interactions: Noivian Noivian (Cirrus)

Meanwhile, at the table, Asif was eagerly engaging with the events unfolding before him. The Lotad's splash of water had catalyzed some interesting bits of information. First and foremost, it seemed Jarid could appreciate the gesture. While his Durant definitely could not. Perhaps he wasn't the volatile one of the duo. “I'll trust your... judgment on, Dremel was it.., Dremel's behalf,” Asif stated, a cautious glance towards the screeching ant, “and expecting the worst is a good... approach if you're heading into the desert.”

Asif finished with a smile and directed his attention towards Hugo and Anai'is. Attentively taking in their words and reaching a conclusion that needed to be voiced. “You both know each other, do you not? That's good. It's important to know who you can trust, and who is... off.”

Asif leaned back in his seat, holding up his hand after Anai'is finished what was supposedly intended to be a single question. “One moment,” he insisted, turning his undivided attention on Hugo, “it's good that you worry about your Pokemon's well-being, but, rather this Lotad should worry about yours. One of you has the... potential to survive the sands alone, and it's never the trainer. If you have water Pokemon, keep them close...”

Asif glanced around the table, insinuating the advice was meant for everyone present. “Now! Anai'is, listening to your... singular question, it seems you... misunderstand.” His hand moved in on one of the cards and pushes it forward. Turning the image towards Anai'is. “No man could ever hope to hold this power. They are Pokemon. Yet, which and how they... inspired these cards, I do not know.”

Not wanting to offer so little, Asif took a moment to ponder. Then, turned his eyes on Skye and her notebook. “You should note this,” he suggested with a smile, “this city was built for a reason. At the center is a place far older than the... residents here. It's... dedicated to these Pokemon. Someone there might be able to help.” He waited for Skye to finish taking her notes and proceeded to explain how to reach the center of town in detail. “Good, good. Now, before we continue, the night is upon us. Surely you are... exhausted from your travels. If you wish to rest, please, do not let me keep you.”

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE WOULD TEACH YOU IMPOLITE WORDS YOU STUNTED PRICK!? MY METAL FOOT SHOVED RIGHT UP YOUR A-" Aaand with that Jarid took the initiative, grabbing the ant of rage by the had and forcing him back onto his shoulder.
"...I might not speak whatever you're talking but I know that tone, Dremel...." he groaned, looking over at the offended party, and then back to Hugo.
"...Hostage #2, perhaps keep your partner's...Outbursts contained? Dremel may be small, but he generally takes that as a challenge..."
All the while, the screeching from the enraged Durant would be clear to anyone at the table, even if a metallic hand was trying its hardest to keep it muffled...

He was beginning to miss his cell back home. Sure, it was about the same amount of noise and contention, but at least the weather didn't fluctuate like some bipolar nutjob within minutes. That blast of water has become something of a hindrance now.

Jarid looked back to Anai's, still trying to keep Dremel contained with one hand.
"....And another thing, Hostage #1, feel free to ask all the questions. I can't be bothered to do so." Jarid leaned back in his chair, plotting his next move. Finding a place for the night should be the top priority, but he couldn't shake the feeling no matter what he did here it was already decided for him.

Maybe it was just like his cell.

Skye's eyebrows raised. A Pokemon, eh? This was indeed right up her alley. She took hurried, scribbled notes on the directions to the building in the center of town. Closing the notebook with a sense of finality, she stifled a yawn, tucking the notebook away. It had been a long and hard journey to get here, and some sleep could certainly do her some good. But still, she shook her head. "If you're going to be asking more questions about those Pokemon, then I'm going to stay up as long as it takes and get every last morsel of information out of it."

Cirrus nodded to the Slowpoke's initial question, following alongside. "I'm here with my partner, Skye. She got a letter and now we're here searching for information on the history and mythology of the area." His ears perked up as they neared the table, recognizing the voices. Yet he still waited to follow the Slowpoke's navigation, not wanting to be lost a second time. "Do you live around here?" he asked, opting to keep conversation flowing.

- - - -

Hugo nodded slightly, listening to Asif. Of course, keeping water Pokémon nearby would be useful in the desert, that much was common sense. And the cards being based on Pokémon rather than people, well, that wasn’t too surprising given Galar’s own regional history. Pokémon are important, after all.

“My name is Hugo,” the geologist flatly reminded Jarid. “But we can call you hostage #3 if you’d like to keep the joke rolling.” He smirked and sipped his beer. He would need a second drink if he was going to stay up any later. That Durant’s squawking was hilarious, but also mildly alarming. And since Jarid seemed to be forgiving, even relieved to have been sprayed with water, Hugo found he was able to relax around the table again.

“Squiggles is always like that. You’ll get used to it, she’s a sweetheart who just doesn’t know any better. And yeah, Archie’s a little spoiled. Only a little though. I think it’s the fireproof Wurmple silk bed dyed in Tyrian purple that really does it, you know?”

He looked over at Skye and her notebook.

“If you go to the town center tomorrow, I’d like to go with you. I’m interested in seeing what some of these old buildings are sitting on.”

---​

Meanwhile, Squiggles was also wandering the bar floor, periodically spritzing people with cold Lotad water. It seemed to make some of them delighted, and some of them angry. Fascinating. Even more fascinating was that she already could see Cirrus! That was amazing, she was the best detective ever, and it had nothing to do with the face that, as Skye pointed out, it would be hard to lose a Pokemon within the confines of a single business establishment.

“Cloud! No, wait, Serious! No, wait, uhm… You there!”

"You can blame mother for the Wurmple silk bed. I had thought the color to be atrocious but of course mother had to have it." He signed, though it was all very clearly fond. "Did you know that he will only sleep on purple beds, regardless of how soft or how hard? He's utterly incorrigible." Anai'is continued, looking at Hugo with an expression that came off as "exasperated," if one ignored the hint of a smile teasing at his lips. He was enjoying himself, regardless of how many other strangers might also be at the table-to him, this was entertaining. And all due to the fact that he was making lighthearted jokes with his brother. A very rare occurrence that he would treasure immensely. He couldn't wait to tell their father of the progress they had made!

Beside all of that, the jokes weren't the only thing putting Anai'is in such a splendid mood. The depictions on the cards weren't people but Pokemon and that was utterly fascinating. He opened his mouth to inquire more about the cards but, unfortunately, Asif didn't have much more information to provide. It was something Anai'is found odd given how the man owned the cards themselves nit he chose to ignore it. Anai'is knew he would need to explore more to have a better understanding of the history here. Especially for their journey. It seemed that he wasn't the only one willing to run around town for research.

Turning his attention briefly from the cards, the man looked at his brother as well as the woman at the table. Skye, his mind supplied in an effort to keep it committed within his memory. They were discussing the possibility of exploring the town the next day and Anai'is wasn't going to miss that chance. He needed to review the town anyhow and he wanted to find out more about the history of this place. He couldn't do that laying down, now could he?

"I'll join as well," he interjected lightly. "I'd like to know more about the Pokemon detailed on these cards and why they are depicted like this in the game. I believe the history of it would be quite interesting." The Archaeologist mused, a vibrant and calculating smile beginning to form on his lips. He'd need to gather all of his supplies together for detailing his notes as well as drawing the items themselves for tomorrow. He was looking forward to what the day would hold. Of course, the sooner he went to bed then the sooner he could explore.

"Perhaps we should call it a night if we want to get an early start tomorrow? We have been traveling all day..." Anai'is suggested, eyes shifting from person to person at the table before settling back onto Asif. "Would it be alright to pick up the card game at another time tomorrow?"

City of Menva, Hollow Sands Inn - 21:40

Glancing down at the cards on the table, he pondered for a moment. Seemingly weighing his options while simultaneously taking in every word being spoken at the table. Adding them to the mental notes he'd have to ponder over some more at a quieter moment. Truly, he had a lot of thinking to do, and a lot of dots to connect. However, not here. Here would be impossible. Asif's eyes locked onto the raging ant, the cause of his inability to give these blurbs of information a proper place right now, and forced out a smile. The first ungenuine one of the evening. “How very...” he paused for a moment, attempting to find a word within his vocabulary that would be an appropriate response, “loud.”

There were no pleasantries to be offered when the Pokemon produced sounds that put nails on a chalkboard to shame. There was much Asif still wanted to know, but not under these conditions. And not things he could ask a group he'd met an hour ago. Besides, while the table remained lively thanks to the ongoing wrestling between Jarid and his raging Durant, the direction of the conversation had shifted. Discussing the plans for tomorrow. Whether or not to call it a night. All clear signs he was keeping his company from some well-earned rest.

Taking the verbal and social cues, Asif collected the Yaelu cards and stood up from the table. Drawing the attention towards himself, he spoke up. “My friends, I thank you for the evening, the company, the...” his eyes once again landing on the Durant, “...entertainment. However, I must take my leave. Please, get some rest yourselves. The desert is no place to tread without a... rested body.” Finishing his sentence, he took a moment to prepare himself for the sandstorm outside. Wrapping himself in a sand-colored cloak and covering his emerald eyes with dustproof goggles. Together, obscuring most of his appearance, and thus shielding it from the sand.

“A letter... and... searching the area...” the Slowpoke repeated back at Cirrus. Glancing back as his plump feet continued onwards, “are you adventuri...” The Pokemon grew quiet in the middle of his words. Slowing down even more than his normal pace as he attempted to figure out whether finishing his sentence or answering the Eevee's question had priority. “We live here... for now... Asif is staying here fo- wait...”

Looking back as he spoke finally ended in disaster as the Slowpoke lumbered straight into the approaching Lotad. Even attempting to press onwards before his reaction kicked in and halted to assess the damage. Glancing down at the Lotad he'd nearly trampled underfoot. “...”

“Hellooooo...” Finding the Lotad below him was a curious sight. Enough so to warrant a slight head-tilt to witness the living 'roadblock' from a different angle. “You... are... here... whyyy?” Before the Slowpoke was able to hear the response to his question, he became enveloped in a red glow. “Goodbyeee...” He spoke as his parting words before being recalled into his pokeball by Asif. Who glanced down at the two Pokemon, smiled kindly, and pressed onwards. Heading out the door and disappearing into the sandstorm.

Interactions: Noivian Noivian welian welian

Back at the table, it quickly became clear that Asif's time and information hadn't come without a price. Apart from the information he'd gained in return, it seemed he'd also forgotten to provide something for the Dusclops that was approaching the table. Reaching its hands over to clear off the table, and suddenly halting. Scanning the table with its singular eye before inspecting each member of the group intently. Waiting for whoever was going to provide payment for the ordered dishes.

Last edited:
Jarid stared directly into the Ghost's eye before standing up.
"Aaaand that is why I didn't eat or drink anything. Hostages? You're good for it." and with that, he would leave them with the tab like the other bastard. He had no need to explore for the night and would instead just make his way to the rooms upstairs. Whether or not they were already checked in, he did not know, nor did he really care at this point. If they felt the need to question the fairly imposing armored figure with the strife-mongering ball of warcrimes on his shoulder, that was on them.

Oddly enough, instead of setting his things in a room, he set himself up at a table and bench upstairs across the hall from the rooms, going through his bags and pockets. Of all times, now to start some project? Dremel, seeming to have calmed down now, hopped off of Jarid's shoulder and looked around before skittering off to investigate their surroundings.

Some might think this is fairly irresponsible of Jarid to let Rage-Incarnate go off on his own. Jarid would like to remind them of two things. Firstly, fuck off. Secondly, that it is past the time of the evening for him to care, so, once again, repeat the first bulletin, and fuck off.

Cirrus turned, surprised when someone called his name... or at least, some attempt at his name. Did he know that Lotad wobbling towards them? Before he had a chance to properly ask, however, the Slowpoke he was with nearly trampled over the poor thing. Cirrus could only cringe and watch, wallowing in second-hand embarrassment. And just like that, the Slowpoke was gone. Cirrus stepped off to the side as Asif moved past them, blinking. What an odd fellow, that Slowpoke. But at least Cirrus sort of recognized the guy - he was from the table that Skye had been sitting at, right? So that means...

"Cirrus!" Skye cried, quickly leaving the table to scoop up the Eevee in her arms, nuzzling her face into his fluff. "I was worried about you. Don't wander off on your own in strange places again, got it?" For all intents and purposes, the Eevee had been gone for all of forty minutes, and frankly hadn't gone all that far. But Skye was acting like it had been the end of the world, that Cirrus had been gone forever. Or perhaps she was letting emotions carry her away.

Cirrus placed a paw on her shoulder, patting to try and calm her down as he nodded in agreement. "Okay, okay, I won't go off again..." But if anyone truly knew the two of them, it was more than likely they'd get split up again at some point.

Letting Cirrus get settled back on her shoulder, Skye returned to the table to collect her pack, but hesitated when she spotted the Dusclops eyeing them. Oh, right. The meals. Pursing her lips, Skye figured she should pay, since she ate the most out of everyone here. Digging into her pack, she pulled out her wallet and checked inside. Would Unovian money work here...? "How much for it all?"

- - - -
Paperface Paperface

“Goodbyyyyyeeeee~!” Squiggles waved excited at the Slowpoke returning to his Pokeball. “What a nice guy! Are you Cirrus?” She turned to look at the Eevee, who was already being reunited with his trainer. “… Oh. Well, that answers that!”

Squiggles circled the table, her spiral ended back in Hugo’s lap. He was less concerned with her, however, and more concerned with the Dusclops coming to collect the bill.

“We… We just got scammed, didn’t we?”

He sighed in defeat, and took out his wallet instead, some bits of gravel and sand falling out.

“Skye, right? I said I would pay, since Squiggles went and spit in everyone’s faces.” And, Hugo though to himself, he’d feel pretty guilty if he made Skye pay after she thought she lost her Eevee. Hrm. Would Galarian money work here…?

To think that the catch of playing the game would be to cover all of the refreshments. Unfortunate, but not something that Anai'is particularly cared for. He came prepared, perhaps even more than he should have been. Reaching forward, Anai'is decided to try some of the food given that he was going to be the one to pay for it now and it'd be such a waste to leave it there. He listened as Skye spoke up and Squiggles returned to the table, pulling a fond smile from Anai'is as he looked at her. Perhaps he would let Archie out of his pokeball tonight, just for a little bit.

Returning his attention back to the group and the Dusclops approaching for payment, the man regarded the only two left at the table and released a soft laugh. It was sweet that Skye, the one who'd nearly lost her Eevee, was willing to pay but it wasn't going to happy. How his brother thought that he would also be getting away with paying was beyond him. Anai'is always payed for everything, especially when his brother was involved.

"Squiggles was only saying hello. It wouldn't be right to have you pay because she was being friendly. Allow me to pay." He interjected, already moving to address the Dusclops for the bill. It didn't take very long, Anai'is having come more than prepared after he'd purchased the hotel. His team had already worried about currency conversions and all of the headaches that came with traveling in another region for him. He'd have to give his personal assistant a raise at some point, they certainly deserved it.

Providing a nice tip to the bill, the archaeologist returned his attention back to the two at the table and gave them a politely parting bow. "I believe it is time for me to retire. I'd like to get an early start on tomorrows adventure into town. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure meeting you, Skye. I'll see both of you in the morning." He smiled, practically beaming as he looked specifically at Hugo before leaving.

Anai'is left for his room, mind filled with thoughts for how the day might go tomorrow. Would there be a bazaar in town? Somewhere that could acquire souvenirs for their parents. Their father would certainly love it if they picked something up for him while here. He'd have to talk to Hugo about it more tomorrow...

City of Menva, Hollow Sands Inn – 22:00 until 06:31
Night descended upon the city of Menva not long after everyone has found a room to spend the night. While the Inn itself provided shelter from the sandstorm, the walls did little to keep the cold air outside. The beds and blankets would have to take care of that. Those still downstairs, enjoying the warmth of their liquor instead, would soon be driven back home by the encroaching cold. Then, after all the patrons had taken care of their respective bills and left, the inn finally became silent. Almost eerily so compared to the lively atmosphere from a few hours ago.

At the dead of night, that silence brought with it a visitor. The night hiding its presence from the world. Moving forward without the sound of a single step. Reached one of the bedroom doors, it paused. Halting in front of the door. Waiting for a sound from the other side. Minutes passed. Nothing. It moved once more and slid something under the door before disappearing back into the darkness. Leaving the scene before morning would come.

Barely half an hour after sunrise, the walls that couldn't keep out the cold also failed to keep out the noise. Overnight the sandstorm had passed and people were back in the streets. Getting whatever they needed for the day, or going where they needed to be, before the sun would climb higher. Making it more difficult to perform in the ever-increasing heat. Looking outside the building's windows, one could easily see the bazaar and Hippowdon stables. The colorful rafters were meant to shield produce, products, and people from direct sunlight. However, from the inn's windows, it also blocked the view of the bazaar. Requiring those who wanted to see more, to visit themselves.

Mentioned: Noivian Noivian DevylCakes DevylCakes welian welian Zahzi Zahzi
Interactions: -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back