• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice OOC - Rifts New Western Adventures

lol think got confused when I saw you repost the stats

Oh well choose one either your rolls or what I rolled.
Thank you! I'll choose mine for the higher I.S.P.. My character doesn't get any more psychic powers, but the higher his I.S.P., the longer he lasts. Thanks, Alchie!

Do you want me to post the rough draft here? Only finished characters go into the Character thread, right?

Thank you! I'll choose mine for the higher I.S.P.. My character doesn't get any more psychic powers, but the higher his I.S.P., the longer he lasts. Thanks, Alchie!

Do you want me to post the rough draft here? Only finished characters go into the Character thread, right?

You can post and edit your draft in the character thread if you find it easier to do that there.

Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist O.K.. Four more rolls here (I think) and Toby's rough draft is nearly ready to post.

1. I forgot to ask for a roll d6 for Hit Points.
2. 1d6+6 from S.D.C. ala Rogue Scientist
3. 1d6 x 1,000 credits
4. 3d6 x 1,000 for sellable Black Market items.

Also, armor question? I'm torn between giving him the Coalition Dog Pack DPM 30 M.D. non-environmental armor (he has the body of a Dog Boy after all and escaped from Lone Star) or the more-protective non-Coalition fully environmental Huntsman Armor (60 M.D., but how would he get his paws on that?). Yes, Sherwood's assessment of armor with at least 75 M.D. seems the way to go given the other folks in the party, but the Rogue Scientist starts with "One suit of light MD.C. body armor" and I don't want to start up a character with things he shouldn't have. Thoughts?

Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist O.K.. Four more rolls here (I think) and Toby's rough draft is nearly ready to post.

1. I forgot to ask for a roll d6 for Hit Points.
2. 1d6+6 from S.D.C. ala Rogue Scientist
3. 1d6 x 1,000 credits
4. 3d6 x 1,000 for sellable Black Market items.

Also, armor question? I'm torn between giving him the Coalition Dog Pack DPM 30 M.D. non-environmental armor (he has the body of a Dog Boy after all and escaped from Lone Star) or the more-protective non-Coalition fully environmental Huntsman Armor (60 M.D., but how would he get his paws on that?). Yes, Sherwood's assessment of armor with at least 75 M.D. seems the way to go given the other folks in the party, but the Rogue Scientist starts with "One suit of light MD.C. body armor" and I don't want to start up a character with things he shouldn't have. Thoughts?

HP = 4
SDC 12
Credit 4000
11,000 in sellable Black Market Items

The most likely armors around the New West are Bandito Arms or Northern Gun brands. I don' think Huntsman are fully environmental tho, maybe I'm confusing with something else in my head.

The most likely armors around the New West are Bandito Arms or Northern Gun brands. I don' think Huntsman are fully environmental tho, maybe I'm confusing with something else in my head.
Oops! I meant Bushman, not Huntsman. I get those two names confused. I don't know where my New West book went off too, but I have both of my Northern Gun books. If I am reading you right, I'll grab some light armor from there?

Yeah its fine, those books even mention the ones that are more common in the New West
O.K.. I have him with two W.P.s, pistol and energy pistol. Do you want those to be standard issue Coalition firearms or out of the NG books or something else?

In general wouldn't recommend too much Coalition gear (mostly aesthetic), most of the locals in the New West are fighting the coalition so that's something to keep in mind.

In general wouldn't recommend too much Coalition gear (mostly aesthetic), most of the locals in the New West are fighting the coalition so that's something to keep in mind.
Yeah. I didn't want it on him (any more than the Dog Boy armor), but hey, if you told me it was part of his background then that's what he would have started with. Sounds like I have a choice. I'll choose two pistols from Northern Gun book then and... I think that wraps up his rough draft! =)

O.K.. Looks like going with W.P. Pistol is a bad joke. I'll instead go with W.P. Energy Rifle. =)

Posting draft now. =)

Is there some way to provide the link to Characters in the upper left-hand corner where I've seen it in other games? (Tries to remember where the Character page link went in here.)

I've come up with more questions. I'm planning to go with the preacher character for now, but I'm open to feedback or suggestions.
  1. What are knockout (not knockdown) attacks? Are those just ones that reduce HP to 0 or less, but are non-lethal?
  2. How does one mechanically determine if you can detect or notice someone behind you?
    • I've seen some combat rules reference being unable to dodge attacks from an opponent you can't see, and I wanted to see if there was some way to sense an impending ambush or back-attack.
  3. Is there any Rifts lore on Bible translations?
  4. I was still unsure if there was actual bonus to playing a Peacemaker as compared to a Fire and Brimstone preacher.
    • According to the book, the Fire and Brimstone Preacher gets Hand-to-Hand basic, +10 to S.D.C, and an extra weapon proficiency.
    • Is the purpose of choosing a Peacemaker merely for flavor?
  5. How common is melee or S.D.C combat as compared to ranged M.D.C combat?
    • I was under the impression the latter was notably more common, but the rules for it also seem a lot simpler.
  6. I've heard some players talk around re-arranging dice rolls. Can I get some clarification on that please?

Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist Steps to create links if you so choose to. =)

Kaerri (my other half) sez:
1. Go to the first post of the main thread.
2. Under the box for the post text, there are fields for Main, O.O.C., Characters, etc. In those you can paste the link to each thread.
3. Click Save. That will put a link to each thread at the top of the main thread. You might have to repeat for O.O.C. and Character threads to get them to appear (I do not remember).

Well, maybe Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist Alchie won't mind if I give this a shot and tried to save him some time while gets the game together? =) QuickSmasherEXE QuickSmasherEXE

Disclaimer: Keep in mind, I am not running this game. The following are my opinions only! May they shine light into your dark corners. =)

1. What are knockout (not knockdown) attacks? Are those just ones that reduce HP to 0 or less, but are non-lethal?
In the basic Rifts game, Knockout is a special Attack that one declares. Per Rifts Ultimate Edition (p. 346), a knockout is the same thing as a stun (I disagree, just watch boxing or MMA, but that's what it is in this game). Anyone with the Knockout/Stun option in their Skill (Hand to Hand skill or Boxing) can attempt this and success reduces the victim to just one Attack per Round with no combat bonuses for 1d4 Round (each Round lasts 15 seconds). With the Boxing Skill, if you declare that you are using Boxing, and you roll a Natural 20, this effect comes into play. Otherwise, you must declare you are trying to knockout/stun your opponent.

2. How does one mechanically determine if you can detect or notice someone behind you?
  • I've seen some combat rules reference being unable to dodge attacks from an opponent you can't see, and I wanted to see if there was some way to sense an impending ambush or back-attack.
In my games, it is situation-dependent. Does that someone represent a danger to you? If not, then usually by a Perception check. But if so, perhaps a Perception check and a Detect Ambush Skill or both depending on the situation. Sometimes it's pure role-playing. Some psychic abilities (like Sixth Sense) or special abilities can detect danger before it strikes.

3. Is there any Rifts lore on Bible translations?
None that I am aware of. The folks at Palladium seem to go to great pains to make their games available to all while standing firmly on the ground that they do not believe in the supernatural, etc.. In other words, they want anyone to play and have a good time at the cost to no one else. It's only a game, but very fun game! Hence, they tend not to quote any Real Life religious translations but instead make up their own for the sake of, and in the spirit of, a good game.

4. I was still unsure if there was actual bonus to playing a Peacemaker as compared to a Fire and Brimstone preacher.
  • According to the book, the Fire and Brimstone Preacher gets Hand-to-Hand basic, +10 to S.D.C, and an extra weapon proficiency.
  • Is the purpose of choosing a Peacemaker merely for flavor?
I recently watched an online review of the New West book where the Preacher was presented. If it's only hard bonuses you're looking for, then Fire and Brimstone is the way to go (you can drink others under the table too if that's your thing). In my opinion, choosing a Peacemaker or a Fire and Brimstone Preacher is an option provided for those who simply want to play one or the other. Both certainly exist in Hollywood movies. Why not also in roleplaying games?

Palladium is known for having dozens of O.C.C.s to choose from so you, as a human being, can unleash your imagination and play whatever your Game Master allows! That's what I'm trying to do with Toby! I recommend you also create a character you're excited to play and one you think you can play for years! =)

5. How common is melee or S.D.C combat as compared to ranged M.D.C combat?
  • I was under the impression the latter was notably more common, but the rules for it also seem a lot simpler.
Your impression is on target for most Rifts games. Mega-Damage combat is a thing in Rifts and super-rare is the game that includes it on any level. Rifts Ultimate Edition has pointers for playing S.D.C. campaigns only (they get that Mega-damage isn't everyone's cup of tea). However, Alchie has made no mention of this. Given that we have at least one Mega-damage Player Character in the group, I say don't expect to see S.D.C. combat playing a huge role here.

However, Alchie, as our GM, has the final word, of course. =)

6. I've heard some players talk around re-arranging dice rolls. Can I get some clarification on that please?
There are a multitude of ways to create characters in a Palladium game. This all falls down to what the Game Master is comfortable with and will allow. Some GMs have you roll and you take what you roll in the order you roll it in - this method often makes the Player have to decide their O.C.C. after they have rolled in order to see which O.C.C.s their character qualifies for.

In my PC, Toby's, case, I had rolled under the I.Q. required for a Rogue Scientist. I asked (for one makes no demands of a GM if they wish to respect that role nor vice versa) Alchie if I could put my Attributes where I wanted? Alchie, probably seeing my rolls did not qualify me to play the PC I wanted to play, allowed me to swap ONE set of Attributes. That is enough to play what I wanted to play and I appreciate that Alchie gave me the option.

So yeah! Go to Alchie with who and what you want to play and when you have questions, approach him!
8D Most GMs worth playing alongside want the Player feedback. They want you to be excited about the PC you're making! I know I do in the games I run! =)

*( Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist What pronoun are you comfortable with if you don't mind my asking? I'd rather not call you "he" if it turns out you're not comfortable with it).

Last edited:
In the basic Rifts game, Knockout is a special Attack that one declares. Per Rifts Ultimate Edition (p. 346), a knockout is the same thing as a stun (I disagree, just watch boxing or MMA, but that's what it is in this game). Anyone with the Knockout/Stun option in their Skill (Hand to Hand skill or Boxing) can attempt this and success reduces the victim to just one Attack per Round with no combat bonuses for 1d4 Round (each Round lasts 15 seconds). With the Boxing Skill, if you declare that you are using Boxing, and you roll a Natural 20, this effect comes into play. Otherwise, you must declare you are trying to knockout/stun your opponent.
Here's what I'm reading on that page:
Knockout/Stun: Anyone hit by a knockout or stun attack will be temporarily dazed or incapacitated. The victim is not necessarily unconscious, just dazed - reduce attacks per melee round to one and no combat bonuses for a stunned/dazed character for 1d4 melee rounds.
I didn't see anything about declare the in the section and I didn't see a reference elsewhere, so I just wanted to check if I was missing something. Thanks for clearing that up.

I recently watched an online review of the New West book where the Preacher was presented. If it's only hard bonuses you're looking for, then Fire and Brimstone is the way to go (you can drink others under the table too if that's your thing). In my opinion, choosing a Peacemaker or a Fire and Brimstone Preacher is an option provided for those who simply want to play one or the other. Both certainly exist in Hollywood movies. Why not also in roleplaying games?
I can understand wanting to play a character with a certain flavor over another. I do think it's weird to have a "subclass" that's a seeming direct upgrade. Unless you were intentionally playing with a handicap (which I have done in other instances) or there was a soft rule that you had to play them as described in the section of the book, I don't see why you wouldn't take the extra skills.

There are a multitude of ways to create characters in a Palladium game. This all falls down to what the Game Master is comfortable with and will allow. Some GMs have you roll and you take what you roll in the order you roll it in - this method often makes the Player have to decide their O.C.C. after they have rolled in order to see which O.C.C.s their character qualifies for.

In my PC, Toby's, case, I had rolled under the I.Q. required for a Rogue Scientist. I asked (for one makes no demands of a GM if they wish to respect that role nor vice versa) Alchie if I could put my Attributes where I wanted? Alchie, probably seeing my rolls did not qualify me to play the PC I wanted to play, allowed me to swap ONE set of Attributes. That is enough to play what I wanted to play and I appreciate that Alchie gave me the option.
Right, understood. Though, the more I think about, the more I think I'm thinking too much. It's probably best to just roll some dice, see what the attributes end up being, and move forward from there. So I'll go ahead and do that.

EDIT: Well, we've got a guy whose reasonably smart and reasonably strong, but otherwise unremarkable outside mediocre endurance and terrible speed. I'm honestly having a little trouble finding a class this would quality for among ones that have attribute requirements, although this would qualify for Sheriff's Deputy. Barely, but still. That could be a suitable class for the initial hook presented.

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about declare the in the section and I didn't see a reference elsewhere, so I just wanted to check if I was missing something. Thanks for clearing that up.
My pleasure! Some Game Masters work differently. I'm one of those who will ask you your intent. If you say, "I'm trying to knock this guy's lights out," then I use the rules above. But what if your intent really is just to keep the guy helpless but conscious, maybe to answer questions? Then I think Wrestling is better where you can Pin/Incapacitate instead.

I have played with other GMs that, upon your rolling a Natural 20 in melee, will ask, "Do you have the Boxing Skill?" If you say yes, you have knocked out your opponent. No Saving Throw for them. It's over. However, the same also goes for you and your team too. Suddenly, you go from being at maximum Hit Points and S.D.C. to *BOOM!* and that's the end of your participation as both Player and Character in the scene.

This is sudden and, in my games, not in a good way. In my experience, it takes away from the fun instead of adding to it. One moment, you're rolling dice, you're invested, having a great time, then Bam! Go sit in the corner and watch. I don't like anything that causes my Players to "deflate" right before my eyes. So, in my games, it's declare your intention and both PCs and NPCs get a Saving Throw vs. Pain with any P.E. modifiers thrown in (because, face it, some people are hard to K.O.). =)

I can understand wanting to play a character with a certain flavor over another. I do think it's weird to have a "subclass" that's a seeming direct upgrade. Unless you were intentionally playing with a handicap (which I have done in other instances) or there was a soft rule that you had to play them as described in the section of the book, I don't see why you wouldn't take the extra skills.
Right. The part I don't understand is why these Preachers aren't equalled out in terms of benefits. In my world, each would have an equal number of benefits. Would it "balance them out?" Maybe yes, maybe no. But I'm not about balance - I'm about fun. Some people have a better time if they don't think they've been short-changed from the get-go if you catch my meaning. =)

Right, understood. Though, the more I think about, the more I think I'm thinking too much. It's probably best to just roll some dice, see what the attributes end up being, and move forward from there. So I'll go ahead and do that.
Heh! You're not alone there, Quick! I am guilty of thinking too much myself! I hope the dice treat you well! =) EDIT: Seeing what you rolled here, I'm going to recommend you take the Running Skill (and maybe the Forced March Skill or Athletics) to push that Speed up to something quicker than a two-legged centipede? Heh! =)

Right. The part I don't understand is why these Preachers aren't equalled out in terms of benefits. In my world, each would have an equal number of benefits. Would it "balance them out?" Maybe yes, maybe no. But I'm not about balance - I'm about fun. Some people have a better time if they don't think they've been short-changed from the get-go if you catch my meaning. =)
I very much do get the meaning, because that's how I feel.

Heh! You're not alone there, Quick! I am guilty of thinking too much myself! I hope the dice treat you well! =) EDIT: Seeing what you rolled here, I'm going to recommend you take the Running Skill (and maybe the Forced March Skill or Athletics) to push that Speed up to something quicker than a two-legged centipede? Heh! =)
Y'know, the running skill looks pretty good in this situation. It has quite a few other nice bonuses that would be helpful, I think. I suspect I shall go with the Deputy Sheriff idea, and I shall dub him John Lawmanson. Seeing that there is a Forensics skill and the character has reasonable IQ, I think giving him a sort of detective slant might be pretty good.

EDIT: Forensics has a very high number of prerequisites, but I may go for it anyway. For fun, let's break it all down, though:
  1. Biology
  2. Chemistry - Analytical
  3. Chemistry (also required for Chemistry - Analytical)
  4. Mathematics - Advanced (also required for Chemistry - Analytical)
  5. Literacy (comes with Sheriff Deputy O.C.C.)
So that's five skills total to get Criminal Science and Forensics. Not sure if toxicology is really worth it from there, but we can think about it. I'll probably take the "Cook" skill regardless, the question really becomes whether it's worth it to use all those skill slots for a 35% +5% per level. I think there are some tracking and lore skills I might rather take, especially I wanted to assess crime scenes rather than do calculus.

Last edited:
Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist

I think I may have to step out of this RP. I am a bit stretched on RPs at the moment and have a lot of RL things going on as well. This game looks like it will be a lot of fun but I cannot manage the time currently with everything else. Thanks for your consideration and have an amazing journey!

I think I may have to step out of this RP. I am a bit stretched on RPs at the moment and have a lot of RL things going on as well. This game looks like it will be a lot of fun but I cannot manage the time currently with everything else. Thanks for your consideration and have an amazing journey!
Unfortunate for us, but understandable. Have a lovely and productive time with your other endeavors!

As for myself, I do have a couple additional questions while I look through my skill options. Is there a skill for Indian languages, or do they speak the "American" language? Is that counted under the "Lore - Indians" skill?

In addition, some questions about secondary skills. Am I correctly understanding that they must come from the same list as O.C.C. related skills, they just don't get the bonus in parenthesis?

When is the bonus in parenthesis applied? Is it added to the base/initial skill level?

That is the very post I am referring to. Alchie hasn't been on a week.

Eternal Alchemist Eternal Alchemist Alchie? You got your ears on, good buddy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back