• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

River Rose

RIP Avicii 1989-2018
Prophecy is unavoidable

All seven had heard the voice. The eerie, feminine spirit of time. The entity who watched all things, yet never interfered. No one had been privy to her voice before. None but them.

Sooner or later, you will have to stop running.

Water, flowing. Fire, burning. Air, moving. Earth, turning. Darkness, ever-present. Light, ever-shining. Emotion, ever-changing. None could be stopped.

You believe in a cause, that you have a purpose. But it is ever so difficult to get you all together.

Lands divided. War raged. Motherless children, orphans all around. Young men and women sent off to fight. Those left behind were terrified. All called out for the heroes, but they had forgotten.

You creatures are so disappointing. But nevertheless, I have a plan. Water, fire. Earth, air. Darkness, light. Emotion. You all have a purpose. Now go, find each other. You will know when you see, you will see when you know. You are the spirits’ champions, do not fail us now.

For if the One of Dark Woods is to rule this land, our cause will be lost and you seven will die.

Kadelin stood on the paved walkway around the back of the abbey, looking out over the field to the obsticle course, one devised and redesigned regularly by the monks as part of Kadelin's training. The monks built and prepared all manner of tests and exercises for their young ward, doing whatever they could to help him prepare for his future struggles. Kadelin was always tested on his speed, endurance, and precision of his attacks. The monks would generate illusions between them, making the challenges feel as realistic as possible, complete with traps and monsters and hostile magic. Hard but valuable training, but now that the great spirits have called for Kadelin to fulfill his destiny, there is no need of it anymore.

As Kadelin stood there, watching the dismantling, one of the monks in more refined attire quietly walked to his side, the old and kindly man turning to Kadelin with a warm and sympathetic smile. "Your day has finally come, Kadelin. The day you are to leave us behind to take your destined path." The monk said, drawing Kadelin's uncertain gaze to him, before the monk lay a gentle hand on Kadelin's shoulder, "And yet, after dreaming for this day for so long, now it is finally here you do not seem so happy about it."

"I... I know that this is what I must do, Master. I know this is my destiny. But..." Kadelin said, before falling silent a moment, turning to look to the field he had trained in for so many years, to the great mountains that tower beautifully over the abbey that have become a most familiar sight, before Kadelin then continued, "...I shall still miss my home. My family."

At that comment, the monk squeezed Kadelin's shoulder companionably, bringing a wider smile to his face. "Come, young one," The monk would eventually say, letting go of the young hero before turning back to the abbey, "Walk with me, for one last time."

Kadelin soon followed and walked with the elderly monk, stepping back into the abbey and walking the corridor that rings the whole abbey, with the field through the left windows and the courtyard gardens through the right windows. As they would walk, other monks that they would pass would stop for a moment to give a light bow, meant for both the master and their young ward. As they walked, the master would speak again, "You have grown strong, Kadelin. Both with the sword as well as with the power of Light. We have all seen the fine young man that you have become, and none of us could be more proud to have you as our student. We... we would certain miss you as well, Kadelin. And we hope, when your destiny has been fulfilled, that you might pay us a visit again."

"Of course," Kadelin said, looking to the master with a brief smile, "Absolutely."

The master nodded appreciatively, looking forward again as they quietly wall through the abbey's halls, the sweet scents of the courtyard's flowers and herbs wofting through the open windows. It would be Kadelin's turn to speak up again. "Master, I am still uncertain for what the message by the great spirits means," Kadelin said, looking to the monk, "How am I to find them? The world is no small place, and if we are all in different lands..."

"I know the task may seem daunting, Kadelin, but remember, you have been blessed by the Spirit of Light personally," The old master tutors, "Trust in His radiance, for His light to lead you throughout your journey. You seven, as the chosen champions of the great spirits, are destined to meet them. No matter how far apart any of you may be, you will find each other, for that is the will of the great spirits. And as it is their will, then it shall be done."

Kadelin nodded, understanding what his master did mean, but he remained uncertain whether it could be so simple. Would he truly meet them, no matter the direction he took? With little else to go on, faith is all the direction he had right now. Soon enough, Kadelin and the master would find themselves at the front of the abbey, heading towards the abbey's gates while all the other monks came to gather.

"Some last words of advice for your journey, Kadelin," The master would speak again, grabbing Kadelin's attention, and the old monk looked gravely on him, "Though our Spirit of Light will always be with you, know that your journey is one that only you, and your fellows, can walk. The One of Dark Woods would not have spent all these years sitting idle while you and your fellows grew. Know that you will face many challenges, and many monsters, but perhaps the worst you may face would be those monsters that wear friendly faces. While most in this world follow the light of the spirits, some will harbour only darkness in their hearts, and would wish not only ill upon you, but also your utter defeat. Some crave the dark world that the One of Dark Woods promises, for reasons neither you nor I will ever understand. Be wary, Kadelin. Trust in your fellow champions, but do not be so quick to trust others. Sometimes, a hero's heart is his greatest weakness. Do not allow the One of Dark Woods to use it against you."

To this stark warning, Kadelin could only nod solumnly. By now, all of the other monks have gathered, and the master smiled to his young ward once more. "Now, young hero, it is time," The master said, looking to the other monks, two of which opened the gates, before the master looked back on Kadelin before saying, "We wish nothing more than the greatest success for you, and your fellows, while you take your journey. Know that we will pray to the Spirit of Light every day and night for your triumph against the One of Dark Woods until your return."

"Thank you, Master," Kadelin said with a smile, before looking to all the monks assembled around him, "And thank you all, for everything. You have each done so much for me and given me many happy memories for all these years, I could not ask for more, nor for better keepers. I shall miss this abbey terribly, and all that live here."

With those words, the monks happily hand over Kadelin's provisions, parcels of food and water along with a map and some coin. Now set, Kadelin says his final goodbyes before turning and leaving the abbey at last, never turning back and never going back.

Naald Oshin | Element: Fire | Skin Walker

Naald was in the middle of butchering a rabbit-like creature called a lagus he had caught for his meal when he heard the voice, and he patiently listened whilst skinning the hide and setting it aside from the main meat for other uses. Salt was difficult to get in the verdurous and jungle-like region he lived in due to the abundance of fresh water streams which made salt a rarity, so he instead seasoned with various herbs and leaves he had scavenged from the trees surrounding him. First, he would eat, the prophecy would have to come after that. He bundled up the lagus meat with these leaves and a fibrous twine made of vine before setting it ablaze, whilst finely controlling the heat distribution; cooking had always been the best way to exercise fine control over his element rather than explosive outbursts since the outcome was obvious, he either got the grilling perfectly right and thus a satisfying meal, or it tasted like burnt shit or undercooked shit. Nonetheless, a true hunter always eats his game and wastes nothing. He headed to his usual stream and sat in it, his body heat causing the surface to start boiling and bubbling as he took a warm bath, washing himself with the water, and drinking it after purifying it with heat. For reasons unknown to him, heating the water and letting it cool down again was a tradition used by some of the skin walkers to purify water, and it had worked, that settlement having almost no cases of water-borne illness plaguing them.

There was nothing more the remaining skin walkers could teach him at this point, and he had been left to hone his abilities away from the safety of civilisation (survival is the biggest motivator after all) but now very little challenged him in the wild and it wouldn't be inaccurate to say that Naald was more wary of intelligent beings such as humans and elves than he was of the lumbering and aggressive beasts residing in the forests and jungles. They acted on instinct which made them predictable, where an intelligent species would have variation that made them far less so, but now the prophecy had told him to find the others. He had no goodbyes to say, and no loose ends to tie up since he always travelled light and was hence ready to leave. Naald looked around at the trees and ground he had called home for the past few months, though no sense of sentimental ennui took hold of him: he was not the first to use nature's gifts to survive, and he would not be the last, but he wanted to leave some sort of mark. Placing a single palm on the largest ironwood tree he could find, he scorched the surface of the trunk with his print, a permanent scar on the wood which would carry his memories in this place before he moved on - another tradition from a different group, who would etch in patterns using sharp knives rather than flame.

After securing his spear to his back, he pulled on the bear hide that had accompanied him throughout the years and began to morph his body into the juvenile bear he had killed all those years ago, each bone snapping into position and ligament reattaching. The black-fanged steelbear was by every metric an apex predator, and though the one he had killed was young, it still boasted impressive physical abilities, so alongside the powerful leg muscles of the cub he had now taken form of, he wrapped his limbs in a tornado of flame which he used as propulsion - it was a novel idea, using combustion and flame to impart kinetic energy onto a moving object like some sort of engine, but he had gotten the idea whilst trying to cook up some seeds which aggressively popped into a fluffier form that shot into the air with impressive speed. He'd miss having that popseed as a snack when he couldn't find anything more substantial, but he had to leave this place. He was running at speeds that would put even the fastest horse to shame at this point, heading away from the clearing of the forest towards the smell of something other than prolific foliage, instead galloping across vast grasslands with a trail of blazing flames behind him that somehow didn't char his trail. Prophecy is unavoidable - he thought about the words again, which meant that no matter which way he ran, he'd eventually find his path and meet those he had to meet.

Last edited:
“‘Prophecy is unavoidable’. Well I never! Time is always so pretentious. I never liked her, truly. Always hanging up there in the clouds, like she’s so much better than us. I control the very thing keeping this planet alive!” Water paced about, ranting about the prophecy just given. Nicholas just sat, listening and watching. The spirits, for some reason, had always been visible to him. Water, the spirit that made him her champion, was a motherly entity. She could create life and destroy it with little thought. But yet she stayed by his side, doing her best, he supposed.

“Water, I don’t think I can do this.” his voice shook with anxiety, along with his hands. Dark clouds formed outside the window, rain threatening to fall. Water placed her hands over his, calming him and the storm. “My champion, there is no need to worry. You are not alone in this, remember? Your fellow champions, they will find us. Their spirits will too. We simply have to be patient. Like the tides.

“Like the tides.” he echoed. The spirit smiled warmly. “Remember, you were never meant to be a warrior. You do not need to be one. You are a healer, a life-giver. Do not be like me, a life-taker. A killer.” she told him, floating towards the window. “But what if the killing is just?” Nicholas looked towards her, eyes wide and inquisitive, like they had been not too long ago. “Then the killing is just. But do not go out of your way to be a fighter. You will only hurt yourself. There is no shame in letting others keep you safe.

“Perhaps not.” Nicholas stared out the window, looking for any sign. Any insignificant thing that would point him to his fellow heroes. “But I would have liked to know them, before we were like this. Perhaps they were just like me. Scared.”

Skrawith Vequaniel Ersumoh| Female | Species: Avian | Element: Darkness
Location: Mountain Peaks in Avian Territory | Interactions: N/A

The frigid temperatures and winds swirled around the mountain peaks and through the canyons dotting the landscape. Soaring around the mountain peaks, sepia-colored eyes would scan the rocky terrain below in search of food, stomach rumbling. Spotting movement below, the bird adjusted the flight feathers on its wings and turned. Eying the creature below it as it soared on the thermals radiating up from the ground, interspersed by the occasional flap-glide motion, the bird watched the lagomorph as it grazed upon the grasses below it before tucking its wings against its sides and diving down towards the prey.

"Prophecy is unavoidable. Sooner or later, you will have to stop running...."

Speech...words...trailing off. Images...flashes of elements...swirling together. As the bird dove, its hunt was once again interrupted, causing it to falter in mid-air and attempt to abort its dive, wings flaring open and slamming into the dirt. As it tried to get up, pain rattled in its head, sending the bird tumbling as back feet hit its head before there was the scurrying of paws over the grass and the mountain cottontail vanished into a burrow and to safety. "You believe in a cause, that you have a purpose. But it is ever so difficult to get you all together."

Darkness had always been comforting, always existing like the sunlight of day and twilight periods. Darkness had always existed, enveloping and watching her champion though had not fully appeared as a human until a year and a half before her teacher's death. Darkness did not interfere but provided comfort to the bird, enveloping the damaged bird and teaching it through instinct to use its element of which the bird had been blessed from conception. The bird lay there, head spinning before hopping up onto its feet and testing its wings, carefully stretching them out. Pain seared up one wing where it had hit the ground after the voice and images had caused it to miss its prey for yet another time.

Darkness swarmed around the hawk, surrounding the bird and then speaking. "Perhaps you should heed her words. Society might be good for you again, at least others like you." Hidden ears listened to darkness speaks before retreating, forming into a shadowy figure that gradually became more solid. Darkness disappeared, changing into its normal form and heading towards a nest within a tight cave it came back with a Mongolian bow, sword and quiver as well as a bag that contained some clothing. The items dropped on the ground, the bow attached with a leather strap to a quiver and her master's former weapons of dual Chakram and wind-fire wheels nestled within a cloth sack lying within the bag. However, the years of being a being a bird had made Darkness' chosen out of practice. The bird glanced down at the bag and bow before reluctantly changing for the first time in years. It took a while and in the end, the avian appeared as she had been with untamed and tangled rose-gold hair. She looked again down at the bag and weapons before looking back at Darkness, darkness swirling around the woman in a comforting manner. "I will be with you but it seems we must find these other elements and their spirits. Though I haven't the slightest idea where to find these other children or their spirits." Wild eyes watched Darkness as she spoke and swirled around the woman before reluctantly beginning its journey down the mountain and into the unknown.

Last edited:
Danger lurks ahead. Be prepared. And those who claim friend may be foe, those who claim foe may be your only chance at survival. Do not frown upon the weak, do not depend upon the strong. This is your moment to come together. To test your strength, both in body and mind. So say goodbye to the peace you thought of. This will not be an easy journey.

Water, beware of fire. Trust earth.
Earth, beware of air. Trust water.
Fire, beware of water. Trust air.
Air, beware of earth. Trust fire.
Darkness, light, emotion, keep the balance.

Warriors, beware.

Avani laughed as she leaped over a large log, joyful about the mastery of her new legs after tripping and falling on her face a few times.

“I am Avani, champion of the Earth!” She bellowed triumphantly to the trees and any unfortunate wildlife that was in the area. The trees seemed disinterested and gave no response, but Avani paid them no mind as she continued her skip through the forest. She did not know where she was or where she was going and wished the Earth spirit would come to her aid. He seemed to pop up when she least expected, and only to say something boring. Avani huffed, she didn’t need his help anyway, she could find the path herself. While poking some glowing mushrooms, her mind went to the other champions. She wondered where they were in the world.

In the corner of her eye, she noticed a bud starting to grow itself into a flower. Avani’s eyes widened, and she knelt to examine it. The petals were beautiful. Another flower sprouted, and soon she was following a path of flowers that were leading her somewhere. The lead stopped. Avani blinked, confused, and looked up to realize she was out of the forest. The new view was a giant meadow, with bees and other insects buzzing around the colorful wildflowers, a twisting and turning dirt path set right in the middle. They were not as beautiful as the flowers that led her out, but they filled her with great happiness at seeing so many. She ran from the path, attempting to do a cartwheel straight into the flowers. To her surprise, her leg wobbled and Avani tumbled down the hill, letting out a string of profanities. A soft bed of flowers cushioned the fall, and she spat a bit of grass and dirt out of her mouth.

“You are neglecting the prophecy.” A strong, disembodied voice cut through the drone of the insects. Avani gasped, looking around frantically and rose, brushing herself off. A towering, sturdy figure, which consisted of soil, bugs, and various wildflowers materialized itself in front of her. “I have set a clear path for you, we must follow it.” The Earth spirit chided. Pouting, Avani crossed her arms and stuck her tongue out childishly. “I was only having a bit of fun!” The spirit shook his head and sighed, exasperated. “You are stalling. This is not the time, you must find the others.” Avani looked between the path, the meadow, and the path again like she was making a grave judgment. “... I want to go back to the forest.”

“You will go where I tell you to go, now stay on the path.” The earth spirit scolded in a stern, but not too harsh tone. He crumpled back into the earth, and the flowers and bugs went back into their original place. Avani clutched her staff to her chest, contemplating for a moment. Then she looked up, determination in her eyes, and eagerly climbed back up the hill to the path, following wherever it lead.

As the words of Time slowly faded, Nicholas was filled with a sense of dread. The wooden boards started to creak, more than usual. Almost as if- “Someone’s coming. Nicholas, you need to hide.” Water ushered him towards the wardrobe, lifting his small frame and placing him inside. “But I-” “No. You’re not ready. Just stay quiet.

Nicholas nodded, watching as the spirit locked him in the wardrobe. She was right. He wasn’t ready. He couldn’t fight, couldn’t even run fast enough to get away. Pathetic. But all other thoughts stopped when the wooden boards started creaking again. Someone was in the room.

Someone with claws that clicked along the floor. And large, sharp teeth, he could tell from the way it breathed. “Come out, come out wherever you are.” the creature cackled. Its voice was that of evil, something irredeemably wicked. “Come on, little elf. I won’t hurt you....much.”

The doors to the wardrobe were ripped off. Nicholas saw his opening and tried to run, but the beast would not let him be so lucky. Claws sliced into his shoulder, deep and violent. His vision went dark. But not for long. A torrent of hail smashed through the roof, impaling the vile creature. Nicholas couldn’t look back. He ran out of the building, out onto a muddy path.

Avani let out a piercing cry as an intense, slashing pain throbbed through her right shoulder. An ominous shift in the air, darkened clouds rumbled and concealed the sun. Avani’s scales hardened before she had the chance to shudder and leaned on her staff, listening to the wind. Acknowledging the drastic change in atmosphere, she felt the magic in her fingers channeling thru her staff; the energy flowing like sprouting vines. “One of them is near.” She muttered, gripping her shoulder as little droplets of rain fell on her face. Avani took a deep breath, steeling herself, and rotated her arm experimentally. The pain was fading.

A barbaric howl from a malevolent creature punctured her eardrums, and she broke out into a sprint down the twisting path, running towards… what exactly? She didn’t know, but something injured another Chosen One, and they needed help. As she turned another corner, a man with blue hair almost barreled into Avani and she slid to a halt on the now muddy path just in time, preventing a collision. “Wh-” Her breath hitched in her throat, and Avani could not find any words to speak. She realized that she was so consumed with finding the other champions, she had absolutely no idea what to say to them. How did land dwellers like to be approached?

“… Are you the Water champion?” Avani questioned after a few seconds of awkwardly staring at each other, the rain now pouring down heavily.

Last edited:
Kadelin would come to a halt on the road as another message from the spirits came to him. The words rang in his mind, words speaking of trust and wariness, and of balance. By the time the words had stopped, Kadelin was panting to catch his breath, hearing a message from the spirits sending his heart racing. "Light is to keep balance?" Kadelin muttered to himself, "What does that mean?"

Before he could think on it further, he felt a sudden flash of pain ripping through his shoulder, his other hand flying to his shoulder as he gave out a cry of pain. Of course, to look at his shoulder, no wound was present. Then he felt something, a tether-like pull upon his spirit, drawing his attention in a particular direction, and in the far distance he could see storm clouds forming at unusual speed and ferosity. He had never seen anything like it before, which could only mean one thing. That storm was the work of the elements, at a guess it could be either water or air. Either way, no one but a powerful elemental could create a storm like that, and coupled with the sudden pain, he guessed that it could be one of the other Champions.

Soon after, the pain faded away to nothing, and Kadelin set off in the direction of that storm to find the one who created it. And with any luck, it would indeed be the work of the Champions. As for the pain, he felt that something terrible had happened, and if the Champions are troubled then he could only hope he would arrive in time to help.

The champion of water seems to be in trouble. Trouble always follows that woman.

Naald ignored the voice. There was no associated form or shape, and each word echoed in his head like one of his own thoughts, but he still knew that they were separate from him. Though it was usually the only voice he would hear for months on end, he never interacted with it directly or even exchanged a greeting, but he would always listen and take heed of its advice and warnings. It was prone to idle chatter, but usually was content to just watch him survive and get stronger. Fire, beware of water. Trust air. If water was the one in trouble, was it truly his responsibility to help? Besides, it wasn't as if Fire had told him to help, it was more a simple observation with a tone of mirth. The warning had said to beware, but that was simply an instruction to act with caution, not complete distrust. He was still leaping through the grassy plains at a great speed, propelled by flames.

He would have to meet up with the other champions eventually no matter what he chose, it was a prophecy after all, so he decided to head towards them. The only problem was... he had no idea where to go. Perhaps due to the tenuous relationship between Water and Fire, but he felt no connection, no tether or inkling to head in any sort of direction, but he didn't particularly want to ask Fire as he was sure that he wouldn't help even if he did know. He would have to rely on his own instincts, luckily, these were heightened by his current form. He pulled inwards mentally, focusing his senses to their absolute limit... he could feel something was wrong with the weather somewhere, he could taste it. He had this awareness, this acute sense of heat around him - but also a terrible pressure on his mind to let it all out, a volcano that wanted to explode. He reeled in the impulse to release as he exhaled. This was why he never indulged in the whims of Fire, since he knew that it would lure out that feeling, the desire to wield power, not control.

His eyes flashing a deep red, he charged towards where he felt the strongest pressure was, assuming this would be whichever champion was closest, even if it wasn't water.

Yuumi Zoomi Yuumi Zoomi

Nicholas looked around, confused as to where the voice had come from. It sounded...kind? At the very least, the voice was asking him a question and acknowledged his presence. That would normally have made him smile. He was a bit more focused on other things at the moment she began to speak.

His shirt was soaked crimson, sticking to the rough edges of claw marks. His hand was slick with his own blood, still pressed against the wounds. “H-Help?” Nicholas looked up at the siren. Maybe he was dead, gone to the elves original home. What had Water called it, Valhalla?

Earth. Good to see you. I’d love to chat, but my champion..... Has yours learned to heal yet?” Water spoke time a presence he couldn’t see. Nicholas looked around again. It was just him, the girl, his spirit and- wait, what was that? A flash of green, gone as quick as it appeared. “Earth?”

R River Rose

“Water, what a delight to hear your lovely voice after all these years.” Earth’s own voice had taken a mirthful tone. On a more serious note, he regarded her champion. “He is in excellent hands. The child took many years to hone her healing skills with my guidance.” Avani’s eyes lit up upon seeing hearing confirmation from her spirit. “So you are! The Absolute Spirit of Time told me you are my friend.” she rushed to his side and studied his shoulder. On closer inspection, his arm was skinny, like the rest of his body. She wondered if he even ate. Her eyes trailed up to his face to look there too, and she noticed pointy ears. An elf! Avani, distracted from the real problem, shook her head and went back to focusing on his bleeding shoulder. She rubbed her palms together and slipped them into the mud, concentrating. Avani frowned, the way her webbed fingers sunk into the mud felt stranger than the grainy sand she was used to, but the healing energy should extract the same. Hands shaking, she grasped his shoulder and began transferring the energy, his wound closing up. Avani never enjoyed using her powers without the staff to harness. It made her jittery, like she was going to shatter into a bunch of tiny pieces.

“There,” she finished, pulling her unsteady hands away. “when I ran here, I heard the wail of a creature… a wail so dreadful and murderous that it could be no other than a creation from the One of Dark Woods. Did you kill it?”

I’m afraid he can’t hear you, dear. Rather unconscious at the moment. It’s a lot of effort to keep up a storm like that.” Water looked up to the sky. The dark clouds remained dark, rain still pouring down. Hailstones no longer fell from the sky, though the storm did not die down. “Haven’t seen one of those in a long time. I never knew....

Well, hopefully the beacon will be enough. If not, then the shock will have stirred them in the right direction.” the spirit sat down, still talking to herself. “But perhaps not. Maybe he won’t wake up. Oh what have I done...

“Better get moving.” Rasmus spoke to nobody in particular. At least, that’s how it would seem to any other human, but Rasmus always found himself talking to rodents and insects when he was trekking the woods. The young pathfinder picked himself up from beneath the tree he had sought refuge under. He’d managed a solid four hours of sleep, much more than he’d typically allow himself. After dusting himself off, Rasmus would reach for his walking staff, noticing a caterpillar climbing its way to the top. “Where do you think you’re going, friend?” He asked the little creepy crawly. The caterpillar writhed in response, inching his way further. Whatever it was try to communicate, it forced a chuckle from Rasmus, who put his finger underneath the bug to support it. As the boy’s green eyes flicked up his staff, he noticed the peridot crystal at the end had a unique shimmer to it, something like he’d never seen before.

“Hmm?” he asked aloud. Never seen that before. Even without knowing the cause, Rasmus’ optimism convinced him it must be a good thing. He was close. What to? Who can say? Perhaps he finally had the lead to where his father was? Without wasting another second, Rasmus scooped the caterpillar onto his shoulder and took off through the forest. His steps were quiet and nimble. As a trained pathfinder, he could run a whole mile without so much as cracking a twig underfoot. With each step, the gem had gotten a little brighter before finally hearing the massive slam of the ice shard that had slew the beast pursuing the Champion of Water.

Something as different, whatever caused that had more power than anything Rasmus had ever encountered, let alone had the potential to trap. He quickly sought to shelter himself in nearby foliage, hoping to maybe catch a glimpse of whatever was causing the commotion. The green crystal seemed to not share his attempt at subterfuge, as it continued to shine knowing the presence of the Earth spirit and it’s champion in the vicinity.

Skrawith Vequaniel Ersumoh| Female | Species: Avian | Element: Darkness
Location: Mountain Peaks in Avian Territory | Interactions: N/A

She continued walking down the mountain, her talons gripping the grooves within the mountainside. Her legs were strong, given Avians were more or less human but with subtle differences, which allowed her to walk easily, however as she was out of practice with walking she was also out of practice with flying in this form which resulted in her choosing the safer option of walking down the mountainside. Still, from the mountain peaks where she would make her home it would be a while to make it below if she continued like this, though the avian was in no hurry to get below or find the other champions, regardless of what Time or Darkness wished. She was...frightened of meeting them. What if they were scared of her because she was the champion of Darkness? She couldn't speak, well she could, but she was mute and hadn't spoken in years since the day her teacher had been killed trying to protect her. Not even to Darkness had she spoken since that day years ago.

There was a village coming up, halfway down the mountain. At least there had been, years ago, but who knew if it still existed? Darkness offered no advice to her as she made her way down the mountainside. She knew, from her memories, that she would also come to a mountain forest at the base of the mountains that belonged to the Avians with a few small villages and a city scattered within its vast expanse. However, as she approaching the halfway point down the mountain, Time decided to speak again, startling Skrawith. Danger lurks ahead. Be prepared.

She lost her footing and tumbled, Darkness swirling and shifting in agitation about the side of the mountain, moving downwards towards her chosen one as the woman tumbled. Wings attempted to open but she didn't have enough lift to get herself into the air and was forced to pull them in until she came to a stop on a ledge halfway down the mountain, pain radiating up her back and wings as she hit a boulder in her path. Dazed and confused, she lay there, pain radiating up and down her back as Darkness grew thicker...smothering her as it raced down the mountain like snow. Shifting and changing...a panther with black eyes leaps down the mountainside and pads towards her, nuzzling the woman. "Danger always awaits the champions...loss as well," chides Darkness to Time's words. "She picked a bad time to be speaking of such things."

Skrawith refused to move, staring up at the clouds and sky which is so much more welcoming then land. Land was so strange after living within the sky and trees, the mountainside where she got more shelter for there were no trees upon the mountain peaks, just icy crags and snow with frigid winds. Some hours had passed with her climb down from the mountains and she wasn't even close to the end of the mountains. "If you flew Skrawith, it might be faster," Darkness spoke, "however I realize you are out of practice. And if Time speaks again..." Darkness was cut off as Time spoke again.

Darkness, light, emotion...keep the balance.

So yet another joins the quest. But...not a champion. Is it stupidity, bravery, or some ulterior motive? I, the all-seeing spirit of Time, know this of course. But why would I share that information with you? Wouldn’t be any fun to reveal my hand. The game isn’t even halfway over!

Interactions:
R River Rose Beski Beski

Avani nudged the Water champion’s shoulder, puzzled by the lack of response. He fell asleep in the middle of her inquiry! She crossed her legs as she sat beside the elf, placed her chin on her palm, and gave him a worried stare. Well, what now? Avani supposed she could drag him to shelter. Laying on a dirt road with rain pouring down wasn’t doing him any favors. “A small cave is to the East. You may wait for the storm to pass there.” Nodding in response to her spirit, Avani moved to put her hands under the elf’s arms and lifted. “… You’re heavier than you look!” She grunted in surprise, but made her grip firmer and dragged him off the path. She would have continued, but a flashing green glint in nearby bushes captured her attention.

“Is someone there?” Avani questioned, curious.

Last edited:
The spiral of dark clouds hung overhead, spinning like a vortex over a dark forest. Kadelin had made it to the storm's edge, where he found a forest ahead, the sensation of power quite unmistakable. Of course, Kadelin was not the only one draw here by the power on display. A beast, an abominable monstrosity stood at the forests edge, milky rolled-back eyes with matted and malting fur, unnatural muscle growth coupled with its body twisted into a humanoid shape. The creature turned to Kadelin, sensing his power, and the Champion could only stand and stare. He's never come up face to face with monsters before, even the monks illusions could not prepare him for how vile this creature looked.

The monster stalked towards Kadelin, menace in its every step, before it burst forward at ferocious speed. Kadelin just had enough time to raise his shield, the creatures head colliding with the shield to a responding bong, the sheer force of the creatures charge threw Kadelin back as his boots dug into the ground. Just as the beast grabbed ahold of his shield to pull it out of the way, lunging for Kadelin's neck, the Champion reached for his sword and drew it out, slashing at the creature's neck as he does so, a spray of blood before the beast pulled back, toppling over and crashing onto its back as it whimpered and growled in pain. The cut wasn't deep enough to kill it, but deep enough to seriously wound it. And it was at this point that it howled, a high-pitched shrieking howl that resonated throughout the area, carrying far in all directs, including the forest. Dark figures stirred out of the trees, more beasts like this one, a dozen of them emerging into the light.

Kadelin looked fearfully at the approaching mob of monsters. "Remember your training," A voice spoke to him, elegently masculine but forceful and resolute, "Destroy these disgusting abominations! Cleanse them in my light!"

Kadelin looked behind him, seeing the redding skies at his back as the sun sets, before looking forward again to the horde. "You have time yet," The voice spoke again, "Use it wisely."

The Champion hardened his resolve, cast aside his fear and grounded himself, summoning his powers and enveloping himself and his sword and shield in the shining brilliance of golden light. As the horde charged at him, Kadelin brought his shield in front of himself, but cast a burst of blinding golden light at the monsters. The beasts howled as they were blinded, some crashing into the ground while others clutched at their eyes, swiping out at the empty air while others ran right into others. Kadelin did not waste his advantage, charging forward with his shining sword, cutting the beasts to pieces, severing limbs and heads, mercilessly ending their unnatural lives one after the other with surprising ease. It felt almost like one of his obsticle course challenges, with all of the focus and efficiency that was drilled into him through many years of training.

As this batch of beasts lay dead at his feet, more where coming out of the woods, drawn by the sounds of battle and the smell of blood, leaching out of the forest like puss from a wound. This time, Kadelin decided to use his light beams, drawing his light into his sword before throwing a swinging arc in front of him, a crescent blade of light cast out of the sword and thrown at lightning speed at the horde of monsters, cutting down two or three monsters at once. "Too many," The voice warned, "They will be upon you soon."

The voice was right, Kadelin cannot thin them out enough with beams, not before they are upon him. As the continued throwing beams at the monsters with his sword, he gathered a portion of his power in his free hand, laying his hand onto his chest as a burst of light shone forth, and when that light died down Kadelin had now split into twelve. An illusion, mirroring himself, but that alone would not be enough. Doing the same again, Kadelin laid his hand against his chest, this time blurring himself and all his copies. Then the monsters fell upon Kadelin, one after another swiping and biting and lunging at him, but several monsters went after each copy, and each copy, including Kadelin himself, could duck and dodge out of the way of these attacks at the beast attack around Kadelin rather than at him. With these advantages, Kadelin cut down the monsters, at times one by one and at times in groups using his beams, blood and the cries of dying monsters filling the air.

And at last, Kadelin cut down his last opponent, the creature falling to the ground giving out a whimper before finally leaving this world for good. Kadelin panted heavily, his arms and legs aching and shaking from the exertions of battle, looking around like a hunter watching out for more prey, but none could be found. Only when Kadelin was sure he was safe that his battle focus left him, and he was met with the sight of the bodies lay before him. He almost could not believe his eyes. Did he really just kill all of these creatures by himself.

"Good,"
The voice spoke again, and as Kadelin turned, there it was; a bright and shining form of light, the Spirit of Light Himself. This is the first time Kadelin has actually seen Him in his whole life. The Champion was in awe. "Very good," Light spoke, looking around at the carnage, and then to his Champion, "The monks have indeed trained you well. Now you know the power that resides within you, now you know just what you are capable of."

Kadelin turned, looking at the blood and bodies, and the smell. It turned his stomach, and made him grimace. "Do not look so downcast," The spirit said, drawing Kadelin's attention back to Him, "Ours is a grisly business, guarding this world from the horrors that lurk in the dark, the evils waiting for their chance to strike. But take heart. There will be people in this world, people these monsters were otherwise destined to destroy, that will now be able to continue to live in peace and safety, all thanks to you putting these monsters to the sword here and now. You have saved lives today, my Champion. Be proud of it."

He knew that Light was right. These creatures were monsters, mindless and feral beasts, and they would have harmed anyone unlucky enough to come across them. Killing them may be unpleasant, but it is necessary. They had to be destroyed. And the lives saved by doing so did make Kadelin feel better. The Champion looked up at the spirit, and he nodded in understanding and resolve. "There are many of the corrupt and the wicked that stalk the innocent of this world," The spirit spoke again, "Wherever you find them, whatever the form they take, annihilate them all. Show them no mercy."

The spirit then stops, turns, pausing for a moment. "Another comes. Another Champion. The Champion of Fire." Light says, before turning back to Kadelin, "Those you are tracking, those who created this storm, they lie in wait within the forest, you will find them in a cave in the forest's heart. They will need you, and you will need them." At this warning, Kadelin looked to the setting sun, only it's edge now hovering over the horizon, quickly disappearing. He could already feel his strength leaving him, and in the forest, without the light of the stars or the moon, Kadelin would be most vulnerable.

"More monsters yet come. They will be stronger in the darkness. Only together may you stand a chance against them."
Light warns further, "You must hurry. Take the Champion of Fire and find the cave. Go."

With that, the Spirit of Light bursts into a shower of light, before vanishing. Kadelin manages to turn, finding someone approaching him at speed, just as the last of the sun's light disappears over the horizon, and night descends.

~~~

Sostos Sostos

The stench of blood clawed at his snout, he was almost salivating at the promise of meat and food. Naald bottled up that primal instinct, the sensibilities of the beast he had taken form of blurred with his own and melded in a way that was almost addicting but he knew the tales of Skin Walkers who never reverted, those who had been engulfed by the maddening pleasure of being whole and powerful. Mercy killings were common for such individuals, a custom unanimously accepted by most tribes since becoming feral was akin to a fate worse than death. Rationally, he knew this scent was not that of comestible prey, having the stink of monsters but he had not abated the steelbear's natural temperament for violence with slaughter for what felt like forever. He would have to hunt soon.

If you stop resisting those urges, your flames will burn hotter and brighter, you should try it - it's liberating, the voice of Fire mused, once again not offering any useful information other than simple taunting though Naald had a tempered patience so such goading was like water off a duck's back to him.

Against the curtain of night, his appearance was that of a smouldering boulder of brilliant reds, oranges, and faint yellows. The intensity and excitement of the flames crackled around his torso and the fire itself was pulsating, glowing embers budding off intermittently. The sun was effective camouflage, masking the bright colours with its own, but now he was practically a beacon of heat and light; the light cast by the flames twisting and curling in obscure shapes and providing an encirclement of light. Fire had the contradictory nature of deterrent and attractant. He needn't worry about drawing attention as there appeared to have been somewhat of a light show in the direction he was headed, though it was dying down.

Ahead were numerous bodies strewn across the ground with various gashes and cuts all pooled in their own ichorous slime that pumped through their veins - the sight had prompted him to slow to a walking pace, extinguishing a bulk of flame he had used to propel himself thus far such that there was only a small halo of illumination around him. The softer glow battled against backdrop of darkness as he approached closer, and Naald noticed the light was seemingly reflecting off a body shaped lump of metal - some sort of metal man? No, there was talk of intelligent species such as humans and elves that warped metal into not only tools, but clothing for protection, armour that encased the body in its totality, so this could have been one of the fellow champions that he was tracking. The light was a clue, it had to have been, since there was no smell of smoke or soot in the air that indicated the presence of a flame that created it. Light without flame is too pure, too golden. It lacks character and gusto. The voice of Fire echoed in his mind, all but confirming this was the Champion of Light. Hopefully his patron was a bit more useful in the information it provided.

In an attempt to show there was no hostility, as was custom when meeting a new intelligent being, he shifted his form from that of the steelbear to his humanoid shape, the snapping of bones and ligaments followed, as well as the moulting of excess fur; the process was graphic as usual, as his flesh twisted to its regular hue and figure. The problem now was communication, Naald having not spoken to anyone in years as thus not entirely sure of the social conduct and etiquette he was supposed to exhibit so opted to follow the customs of one of the tribes he had stayed with.

With two thumps to his chest with a fist, he spoke to introduce himself, "Naald." He splayed his palm and summoned a tame flame, golden as it flickered and danced into existence to indicate that he was the Champion of Fire. He said nothing else and looked into the man's eyes with an expectant yet stoic expression, as if waiting for a response.

Kadelin watched as the figure approached, growing uncertain when the figure did not have the typical humanoid shape, and reaching for his sword when the creature finally made it to him, stopping in front of Kadelin. The creature before him was a steelbear, he had seen pictures of such animals in books before, but he had never seen one in front of him before now. It was... smaller than depicted. Perhaps this one is young? Young or no, it is a beast, and Kadelin readied to attack. "Wait," The Spirit of Light commanded, forcing Kadelin to hesitate, "Wait."

The Champion of Light watched, somewhat uncomfortably, as the steelbear before him started to change. The sickening sounds of snapping bones and twisting flesh made him wince, but he kept watching until the beast was replace with a man, one that stood before Kadelin that seemed to have a certain... warmth about him. The man spoke, before brandishing a flame. A look of relief washed over Kadelin, and he sheathed his sword.

"You are the Champion of Fire. And a Skin Walker too. I never imagined..." Kadelin said, much in relief, "Naald. That is your name. I understand."

"Listen, we must hurry," Kadelin spoke, turning and pointing to the forests, before looking back at Naald, "In this forest, at its centre, there is a cave. Other Champions are there, they are creating this storm... I think. We need to find them, and quickly. More monsters are coming, they are stronger at night, and our only chance may be to fight these monsters off together."

"I'm afraid... I'm not at my best right now," Kadelin said, his voice sounding a bit pained, the reduction in his strength is more than a little noticable for him, "I used much of my strength fighting this horde. Should we face any further trouble, I must ask you to lead any battles. But I will do what I can to support you, of course."

With sunlight vanishing near completely, they would need another source of light, one that they can take into the forests. Kadelin summoned his powers again, light springing forth from his body, illuminating the area around them in a wide bubble, the darkness receding grudgingly away from both Champions. "My light should help us watch our footing," Kadelin said, before then turning to the forests, "Now, let's go."

The forests were indeed dark and treacherous, and Kadelin quickly grew anxious as the vicious storm washed over them. First came the wind and the rain, then the biting chill of the cold, and it grew colder and colder until the wind became freezing and the rain turned into hail. The deeper they went, the worse the storm raged. "It is not far now," The Spirit of Light spoke to Kadelin, "Keep going."

~~~~

Sostos Sostos

From the bushes he hid, Rasmus took note of the Champions of Water and Earth. One had sharp teeth, unlike anything he’d ever encountered before and the other appeared to be an Elf. He’d seen a few elves coming in their caravans to visit Gavony before, but this one certainly did not seem to be a merchant. Am I delirious? He thought. I know those fungi I ate. They’re not hallucinogens. He looked over at his shoulder to the caterpillar that had been along for the ride. It wiggled about, taking shelter from the rain beneath his green poncho-like cape. Whatever it was communicating it was drawn towards the Siren. The glowing crystal hummed more, though Rasmus should have been wary of what he saw he felt a wave of comfort. Perhaps it was the effects of the Siren? Regardless, at a closer look the Elf appeared to be in need of help, and the big brother instincts took over as Rasmus emerged from the bush, walking stick in hand.

The human took a few steps forward, each one drawing out more shimmer from his stone. He held up the amulet from his neck bearing the sigil of the Earth spirit. He flicked the wet hair from his face and scanned the two up and down. “Rasmus Bellua of Gavony.” He introduced himself bluntly, moving to get a closer look at the Elf. “We should move quickly to shelter. I have some dried Ghostsage in my satchel to ward off the beasts, but I can’t burn it in the storm.” He pat the brown patch at his hip, looking up from the Elf to the Siren. Her ties to the Earth spirit, though not made apparent to him, calmed him in a way a mother could calm a child.

“I’ve been traveling the woods two years alone, but I’ve not seen anything like the two of you before.”

Last edited:

The storm was atrocious and unnatural for the region, that was clear enough, but as someone who typically took shelter in the outdoors Naald could weather the weather. Though he could do little about the wind and rain, he blanketed a region with heat, about the size of the radius of light the other champion had formed. His flames felt pleasantly warm between his fingers, a comforting caress that promised destruction if he lost control, but control was what he was building for his whole life. It was not hot enough to evaporate the rain or prevent the hail, but it was enough that they weren't constantly shivering since Naald was unaware hot how someone not chosen by Fire could withstand - especially when holding items made of metal, so he didn't want to take the risk. They were wet, yes, but at least they weren't going to freeze of hypothermia.

He was not entirely sure how this champion knew where to head, but he assumed that the personality of his patron was a bit more cooperative than his. There's no fun in telling you all the answers. You're meant to be our champions, not our proxies. Fire's voice resounded in his mind, with a tone that was almost one of complaint rather than a legitimate defence for his less-than-helpful words. Once again, he ignored it, seeing no point in asking questions to someone with such an attitude.

When the human had mentioned that he would have to take the lead in combat, he half considered reverting to the form of the steelbear - it was far more than just a combative tank, but it would ward off any smaller predators due to their reputation, but he had already spent a number of hours in that form and didn't want to push it; if he ever went feral, he couldn't risk his flames following the same untamed path. He gripped the crude spear he had slung across his back with both his hand, ready to pounce into attack at any point. In the downtime, he examined his human companion - for one, his complexion and hair colour were unlike that of any he had known (that number of people being admittedly small) and he wielded both a weapon and shield both forged from metal of some sort.

The night boosted the strength of the monsters, he knew this, but being in the presence of a fellow champion seemed to keep him far calmer than he had any right to be - was that an intentional perk? Increased bravery? Naald didn't like it, that would entail decreased caution and promote a culture of sloppiness; he would have to treat it as if he were alone still to not make any mistakes. If the creatures came individually, the would be easy to kill, but a horde was going to be a bit more difficult in unfamiliar terrain and weather so he intermittently checked for external sources of heat signatures excluding himself and the other champion. He counted a few, but they were isolated clumps that were slowly approaching them rather than outright attacking them... it was as though they were gathering up and kiting them somewhere before taking them out. Their pack like nature and vague intelligence probably let them figure out that they should attack as a larger group if they were to have a chance of beating both champions.

"Hurry. They gather." he said, hoping to get across the message that the pair of them should pick up pace as the creatures were prowling nearby and growing in numbers.

WHY WON’T YOU HURRY UP ALREADY?!! I’M GETTING BORED!

Nicholas whimpered pitifully at the sharp voice in his mind. The storm grew louder, darker. Hailstones mixed in with rain, chunks of ice the size of ripened pears. Water rushed over to the elf, kneeling down beside him. Concerned, but at the moment she could do nothing. His powers were unstable when he was afraid or unconscious, both at the same time was worse.

She turned to the other champion, and the stranger that had appeared. And then she turned to Earth. “We need to get to the cave. He’s the one causing this storm, and it’s going to lead them here. Can you champion, or this disciple of yours do anything?

Yuumi Zoomi Yuumi Zoomi Beski Beski

Interactions: Beski Beski R River Rose

Earth barked out a laugh and articulated in a smug tone. “Long, long ago, weren’t you the one who said to me I needed, and I quote, ‘patience like the tides’? Have faith in my champion and disciple, they will all get to safety.”

The hypnotizing gleam rose out of the bush, and her eyes lowered from the gemstone planted in the wooden staff's top, to the man holding it. Not expecting an actual response, the siren’s mouth went into a small “O” shape as she watched him step out of the bush and come forward. A human, she surveyed. Avani didn’t have a strong opinion towards humans, but thought they were slightly dumb along with orcs and dwarves. Recalling the stories her mother told about brave sailors with sharp swords on gigantic boats passing thru the ocean, and gently urging them with seductive giggles to leap to their agonizing deaths on dangerous rocks. After introducing himself, the human held up an amulet with a symbol she had never seen. Before Avani could ask, her spirit interrupted.

“It means that he is a follower. Conduct yourself in a respectable manner.” the Earth spirit explained. Avani thought about this for a second before the corners of her mouth quirked up in a smug smile. “So by extension… that means he has to worship me.” Earth was perplexed. “… What? No, not exact-” The spirit began, but Avani waved him off. “I am Avani of… The Ocean!” She introduced brightly, attempting to match Rasmus’s formality. “But more importantly, I am also the Earth spirit’s champion.” Avani gestured to the elf in her arms. “This one belongs to the Water spirit.” She then unceremoniously handed him over to Rasmus and walked over to the spot she left her staff to pick it up. “There is a cave nearby, you may carry him there. I’ll hold your staff for you!” Hands eager to examine the unpolished gem up close, they plucked the human’s staff away. “Now, loyal servant, let me tell you of a prophecy…” she declared proudly as they made their way to shelter.

“This is the opposite of respectable.” Earth deadpanned, as his champion skipped merrily through the forest despite the awful weather, chatting the whole way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back