Need help putting together a halfway decent Mana system

BackSet

Ray of Sunshine
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Okay so I'm making a fantasy roleplay and I want to make sure people don't abuse magic and make overpowered mages so I'm making a mana system. Or, more accurately, I'm tossing out my old mana system and making a new one. The original had each race have a certain mana pool (I believe the highest mana pool was 25) but I'm not sure that was working and want to make a new better mana system.

I'd just use a spell system from an existing tabletop game and be done with it . . . or just kill the player from the RP who decides to be an OP asshole who can't listen.

Hehehe, I mean that is what I'd do. If someone wants to be OP despite being told to curb that fuckery, well screw you I don't need your bullshit in my roleplay. If everyone else can listen so can you! But you know that's me . . . and I'm to lazy to makeup a system so I'd steal one, I mean D&D is super popular and easy with the spell slots . . . so you get the cast your whatever spell twice a day. Until the day resets in-character you're stuck holding onto them spells . . . or some shit! >D

Could just make your players roll a d20 when they make their character, with modifiers for races. Every time they use a spell it takes off 1 mana. They rest to restore it.

Assuming you want a dice system, then I think what the others suggested should work fine. Dice systems are a lot easier to limit than freeform.

However, in freeform, having concrete numbers might seem a little odd. As such, here are a few ideas for dealing with that:
*Having the mana/magic be stored in some expandable container, thus making magic's cost be measured in those containers (example: X spell costs Y mana crystals)
*Video-game type world
*Having "stages of exhaustion" or otherwise very concrete and visible signs of one spending a given amount of mana, and enforcing those signs when you think is appropriate.

The alternative to this is to limit magic through means of limitations that are not mana/energy costs. Honestly, those types of costs are pretty flimsy, and they don't really stop someone from making an easily abusable power most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back