• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern MAYDAY - Island Survival Main Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

FireMaiden

Grade A Bitch
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check

coollogo_com-304886364.png

"Ladies and gentlemen, Flight 216 to Sydney is now boarding group A." Today was the day. No matter what your reason for being on that plane, Flight 216 would be your home for the nest 20+ hours. It was an incredibly long flight, even for those who flew regularly. If you paid close attention, the nervous flyers would be spotted immediately. The husband trying to calm his wife. The girl with a lime green scrunchie who's leg couldn't keep from moving. The young man with an unmistakable Midwestern accent rambling to his friends. There were a lot of emotions, nerves and excitement, sadness and fear, happiness. All Trapped under the same airport terminal. "Group B for Flight 216 now boarding." Some people here we're going home. Others were on a once in a life time adventure. And still some, may be running from something. Their past, family, or they were just simply looking to get away. Everyone had a story.

Unbeknownst to the passengers and crew of 216, this would be the last flight some of them took. The last grand adventure. Those stories would have an unhappy ending. "Group C for flight 216 now boarding." It they had known, without a doubt this group of strangers would have canceled their flights and headed home. You would have too. But of course, if there were any clairvoyants in the crowd, they kept their mouths firmly shut as the passengers boarded flight 216. They would get settled into their seats, and soon after the final boarding call, Flight 216 would take off.

For a while, everything seemed perfectly normal. The unfortunate people in the middle seats complaining about the leg room or squished between two people who were most likely going to be snoring the entire time. The unaccompanied minor was getting a little extra attention from the flight attendants, making sure to keep the kid company, and a few of the passengers would be caught up in mostly unwanted conversation. But they were stuck on that flight for a long while...might as well make the most of it.

“Good morning” Henrietta nodded to the flight attendant when she strolled through the passenger door. She is the Captain of Flight 216, a 20 hour ultra long haul flight that go directly between NYC and Sydney. Every colleagues of hers would avoid this flight at all cost, and somehow the job just ended up on her.

The aircraft to fly this route is an A350-900ULR, with a range of 18,000 km it is one of the few aircraft type that can cover such distance, not even A380 or Boeing 777 were able to fly this route. There will be two pairs of relief pilots on this flight, Henrietta would perform the takeoff and the 8 hours of flight there after, before the relief crew would cover another 8, then the third crew would perform the landing. There’s a small sleeping quarters for the flight crews right behind the cockpit, but as any pilot who ever flew long haul flight would know, there’s no such thing as “sleeping quality” with multiple high-bypass turbofan engines operating not far from your bunk.

As the only saving grace, at least the hotel that the airline paid for her to stayed in for 25 hours before the flight was actually pretty good. The Tiramisu from their tea time buffet was especially impressive.

She enters the flight deck, and saw that Flight Officer Christiansen is not here yet.

Last edited:

• 287392_IWxgoJ92.pngLocation: Flight 216 - Economy
    Interaction: Open
    Mentioned: N/A

Ivy had never flown before. Every time she has traveled in her life, it has been via car or train. In fact, she preferred it that way. Securely on the ground where less bad things could happen. Or rather...if they did happen, someone could get there sooner. They had been on the plane for hours now, nearly ten. And Ivy had not been able to relax for a single goddamned second of it. Every little rumble of the metal, every unusual jolt of the body made her heart skip a beat. Why was this her only option? Couldn't she have taken a boat or something? Or better yet, why couldn't Mitch have lived in America? That would have made this so much easier. They could have met up somewhere in the middle, or perhaps even gotten lucky and lived in the same city. But the fates, or destiny, or just plain ol' shitty luck put them where they were in the world.

So there she was. A nervous girl who at least had the window seat. She got lucky in that regards, Ivy always liked to look out of the window while traveling. It helped her in a way, have Ivy something else to focus. The seat was uncomfortable, and because of the people filling the seats next to her, Ivy couldn't get up as often as she would like to for a break. Well, she did a few times, but Ivy didn't want to be a bother. But ten hours...that was a long time to sit still. Ivy was lucky to have her switch and her phone to keep her busy, on airplane mode of course. The inflight movies were all shit anyway, so playing Stardew Valley, Cuphead, and Little Nightmares had been enough for a while. But as 5pm finally started to roll around, and the two dinner options being handed our, Ivy found herself incredible restless. Once again wanting to stand up and walk around or just stretch, but not wanting to bother the people sitting next to her. It was a delicate dance. Ivy sighed deeply, shifting in her seat the best she could, the young woman settled back down again with her gaze cast outside.

Mentions: Heda Heda (Adelaide)
Open to Interaction

Kaylee

Black lenses with a leopard-print frame hid a black eye, but did nothing for her trembling hands. Sporting an unraveling braid and the black hoodie and skinny jeans she had shrugged on in her haste that morning, Kaylee looked as frazzled as she felt.

The non-too subtle glances over her shoulder as she boarded had continued after being seated. She had to keep reminding herself that she was safe. Romanov would never think to look for her on a plane to Australia.

When she was six, she had packed her things while her parents were out and ran away to the park where she was determined to live in the slide. A few hours later, her father's black SUV rolled up with its tinted windows and platinum rims and her mother's red stilettos slipped from the back passenger's seat. Kaylee couldn't believe she had been found. When she had asked her mother how she had known where she was, her mother regarded her with a grim smile.

"The mob is everywhere, lubov moya," she had said on a sigh. "And they know everything."

Had she been successful in sneaking away?

Kaylee gripped the carry-on bag in her lap until her knuckles turned white, but still her hands shook. She needed to calm down before she hyperventilated and caused a scene. Fortunately, the passengers aboard the plane appeared distracted enough and didn't seem to give the distressed woman in the middle aisle a second glance. Having purchased the ticket that day rather than in advance, she and Adelaide were in separate seats. Perhaps, if she had been able to sit by her and talk the time away, she would not be as nervous. As it was, she didn't know those sitting next to her and could only hope the twenty-something hour journey would go by quickly.

At least, she was safe in the air. Romanov could have taken his private jet and beaten her to Australia, but he couldn't harm her until she landed.

Twenty hours. It was the only guarantee of safety she was getting, but it was something, even if she'd spent the first half letting her nerves get the best of her.

Kaylee inhaled a steadying breath and glanced across the lap of the person next to her to where the window offered a heavenly view of the outside. Slowly, like water slipping through a crack, her nervousness abated and the forty-eight hours of no sleep caught up to her. Exhaustion pulled at her consciousness and against better judgment, she relented and fell into a quiet slumber with her head back against the seat and her hands still gripping the bag in her lap.​

Last edited:
Ash Takashi1628009454120.pngTo say Ash was on edge would be an understatement of epic proportions. Having been abruptly yanked out of an active war zone and dropped into the 'normal' world Ash had had no chance to adapt. Her body and mind were still on red alert, both expecting some kind attack. Nothing she said or thought could convince these instincts honed by over eight years in the field to switch off. With nobody to 'watch her back' as it were, she hadn't been able to sleep either. So she'd spent every hour of the past two days awake.

This whole trip back 'home' was turning into one incredibly drawn out journey. This twenty hour marathon would be her fourth flight in two days (before this there had been two other planes and one helicopter). Despite the military's best efforts it had been impossible to find a seat for Ash on a plane flying east from Afghanistan to Australia, so she'd been forced to fly westwards on some convoluted path, first heading into Europe and then across the Atlantic to JFK airport, New York. It was a journey well over double the necessary distance.

Boarding, like every other aspect of Ash's trip, had taken an eternity. The plane was a monster, bigger than any plane Ash had seen before, she didn't even want to think of how much fuel it required, let alone what it must be like for the crew who worked on it. The icing on the cake of this ridiculous marathon journey had been her seat- the middle one- arguably the worst of them all. The aisle seat had extra leg room while at the window seat nobody could bother you. In the middle seat however you were boxed in usually between two utter strangers, who, In Ash's experience either had tried to drown themselves in perfume or would chat at you incessantly, regardless of whether you were listening or not.

At the start of the flight she'd tried to make the most of things, balling up her jacket and placing it behind her back and neck like a sort of cushion. From the front pocket of her bulky, battered backpack she had pulled out an equally battered book- a copy of Andy Weir's The Martian- and settled down into the plane seat to read it. The cover was worn and dog-eared, as were many of the pages. In addition to that some of the pages had brown stains from where coffee had slopped and one bore a bloody thumbprint (Ash hadn't noticed she'd slashed open a finger). Ash had picked it up in an airport shortly before being shipped out on her first tour of duty and it was one of only a few possessions that she'd managed to keep since then. It was a brilliant novel, one she found she could read time and time again.

For the first few hours things had been... fine, she guessed. The man in the aisle seat had given her a number of ill-disguised looks of disgust and disapproval at the sight of the tattoos that started at the back of her hands, blanketed her arms, ran across her collarbones and finished as delicate birds on the side of her neck. Thankfully he'd fallen asleep within the first two hours and Ash had been left to her own devices. His snoring, she'd managed to tune out and save for the interruptions of the flight attendants every couple of hours, it had been mostly uneventful But now, it was the passenger in the window seat who was starting to get on Ash's nerves. The young woman at the window had started the flight looking nervous, and her restlessness was only getting worse as the flight progressed. She'd already got up and walked the aisle a few times, but clearly that had done nothing to calm the woman, she was still shifting and sighing.

Folding down the corner of the page Ash's grey green eyes looked at the woman in the window seat. "If you want to swap and be closer to the aisle so you can pace away the nerves or something, feel free." Ash's accent wasn't quite Australian, it was been rounded and diluted by years of living away from her country of birth.

Interaction(s): Ivy
Mentions: Ivy ( FireMaiden FireMaiden )

Last edited:
ADELAIDE MACPHERSON{location | flight 216 - economy}
{interactions | ruben FireMaiden FireMaiden }
{mentions | kaylee MarieK MarieK }

A tangled net of dark hair shielded most of Adelaide's face from view. She didn't mind flying, and had never been opposed to it. Her family had made the journey from Scotland to the US when she was fourteen. That had been a flight to nearly rival the one she was currently attempting. But circumstances were far different. Back then, she wasn't running from a life and family that didn't care for her anymore. Back then, she wasn't trying to outrun a drug addiction. Ten hours into the flight, she was getting nervous and antsy.

What waited for her on the other end of flight 216? Would the police be there, ready to arrest her for stealing her parents credit card? Had they even noticed she was gone? Probably not. Adelaide was entirely alone, aside from the russian woman who helped her buy tickets. Unfortunately, they could not get seats together, having purchased the tickets too close to the day. They could not afford that luxury. No matter. Adelaide was used to being surrounded by strangers these days. It didn't stop her from glancing back at Kaylee every now and then, simply checking the woman was still onboard the flight and not just some twisted, weird apparition in her mind.

For the last ten hours, Adelaide had been trying to ignore the conversation of stories between two of the passengers in her row. Only one of her earbuds was working, so it wasn't like she could simply drown them out with music. Shoulders hunched and arms crossed over her chest, she tried her utmost best to ignore the woman. Not even the sound of the engines could drown out the ridiculous story of a goat and christmas dinner. Finally, she couldn't take it any longer. Brushing the hair back from her face, Adelaide rudely jabbed her finger into the arm of the redhead sitting next to her. Leaning over and whispering harshly. "Stop encouraging 'er dumbass stories or tell 'er to shut-up. Some people are trying to get some sleep on this god damned flight." The scottish accent wasn't as thick as it used to be but was still there, lingering in the lower octaves of her voice. It was more prominent when she got angry.

Adelaide wasn't even sure if the redhead would believe her. She hadn't been trying to sleep but she didn't think he was paying any attention to her. There was a slight pounding in her head, the beginnings of a possible headache. She withdrew her hand and brought it up to her temple, pressing her fingers and rubbing in a circular motion. an attempt to halt its progress.

JAKOB TAYLOR{location | flight 216 - economy}
{interactions | oliver KaiMedia KaiMedia }
{mentions | aseph Red Skies on White Paper Red Skies on White Paper }

The hum of the engines had become nothing more than white noise to Jakob. After spending the last six years of his life in the job, such things simply didn't bother him anymore. The Australian flight attendant walked down one of the aisle slowly, attention placed on the passengers, looking out for anyone trying to stop and make a request. His ultimate destination was the cramped kitchen in the back of the plane. It was about time to make the dinner rounds and no doubt Aseph or one of the other attendants would be back there, heating and preparing the meals.

His main focus was on keeping the young kid company and making sure they had everything they needed to make the flight comfortable. From what Jakob gathered from a brief conversation with the kid, Oliver, was returning home to their family ranch after visiting their brother in New York. They seemed to be a nice enough kid and Jakob found he already had a soft spot for Oliver. Perhaps it was because they were flying alone and he simply wanted to keep the kid happy and comfortable. 20+ hours was a long flight for someone so young.

Having made it to the kitchens, a wide smile beamed on Jakob's face at the sight of a coworker. While on duty, it was the only time Jakob saw the frizzy dark hair somewhat under control and pulled into a tight bun. "Hey Jake, food is almost ready. Wanna help me wheel it out?" Rebekah Hale. Close friend of Jakob's. She had been working for the airline longer than he and had been one of the people to show him the ropes when he got his first posting. "Of course, I wouldn't leave my favourite person on this plane hanging." Jakob took one side of the cart while Rebekah positioned herself on the other side and they began wheeling it out into the tiny aisle; barely wide enough to fit the cart. It was a slow process with an odd 347 passengers onboard.

The food options were a vegetarian potato curry or a rather tasteless beef lasagna. Airplane food had a reputation for being terrible on most occasions but after six years of flying, one got used to it. When they pulled the cart up beside Oliver's aisle, Jakob offered them a friendly smile. "What'll it be? Vegetarian curry or beef lasagna?" Jakob waited for a response, handing the chosen meal over, along with a jelly cup. Whether they wanted it or not, Jakob only wanted to make sure Oliver was comfortable during the flight.

Last edited:
Dr. Phillips
Journal of Dr. Jason Phillips
MAY 6-I have boarded successfully, albeit rather late. I had to sprint through the airport just to reach the gate in time, flagging down the stewardess as I ran. While I love her, my mother can go on for hours about nothing! I digress though; I have finished my final operation that I will observe in the states, at least for a long while. I shall be spending two years in Australia under perhaps the finest ortho-surgeon in the world. He is, of course, already impressed with my talents as I have conducted a number of operations myself (illegal or no, I have not failed a patient yet) and have glowing recommendations from both professors and doctors alike. I am excited to begin my next phase of my life in Australia, though I will miss my family.
This trip could not have come at a better time. My sweet...well, perhaps I should not be calling her sweet anymore. My now ex-fiancé Emma has broken off her engagement with me with some feeble excuse and moved out while I was working. I can't imagine why she would break off an engagement of two years! Is it because I work so many long hours? Does she not know I work these hours so that I may have a career to provide for us? And why not work long hours? I wish to become a surgeon to better the lives of many! I do not understand this at all, but the only thing I found more complex than my Advanced Biochemistry II lab are women. Well, I move onto a new chapter of my life and who knows what awaits. I cannot wait to get to Australia, though I have heard tales of giant insects, drop bears, and witches ( Heda Heda )! I'm sure these are just rumors and stories, but you can't help but wonder...
I will write later as the flight progresses. For now I should gather my bearings and try to socialize with others around me. Until I write again.

Jason scarcely noted the announcement that signified the impending takeoff, being preoccupied with writing. He closed his journal and looked around the plane at the last bit of people trickling on. This would be a long flight, and he hoped the person he was seated next to would be at least semi-pleasant in conversation. To his surprise, it seemed to be a younger passenger, no more than 15. He hadn't been paying attention when he sat down, too preoccupied with getting everything ready for the long flight. He was certain he had everything he needed (and perhaps a bit more than was necessary) in his bags, and even in his own carry on he had an assortment of tools that he may or may not have needed. With a shrug he turned to the young passenger next to him.

"Hello young sir!" He asked politely. "Gonna be a long flight, I should probably introduce myself! I'm Doctor Jason Phillips! And you are?"

KaiMedia KaiMedia FireMaiden FireMaiden Heda Heda Anyone Anyone else who wants to interact

Last edited:
Aseph Lopez
Location : Flight 216 - Economy Interactions : Jakob Heda Heda Mentions : Rebekah Hale
It usually was not uncommon for Aseph to have a migraine throughout long flights such as these. Babies crying, people complaining about the fizz in their drinks, turbulence every three minutes and the bathroom being at full capacity almost the whole. But, surprising to him, it was going fairly smoothly. He did, however, prefer when it was just a few people where it was easy to just have him and one other flight attendant, that would be the perfect scenario for him. All in all he did enjoy his job despite the cons that come with it. The deep soft whirring of the engines, the lights dimmed and the quiet whispers that he would hear every once in a while was nice, it made him feel relaxed and at ease as he worked. While keeping tabs on the time the young man helped his co-worker set all of the warmed up food on the cart, as he crouched down to put some things in the bottom drawer he barely paid attention to the conversation going on between Rebekah and Jakob, but he was there and listening anyway so he couldn't help himself when he stood back up, looking at the other man with an amused eyebrow raise, "Favorite person? Wow, I see how it is." It was all light banter that was fairly normal amongst coworkers so it didn't really need to linger for too long, especially since there were certain times they wheel out the hot foods. Aseph pushed the cart to the other side and started handing out the passenger's dinners, each requesting different things but he kept up easily. He didn't bother the ones asleep, he never did, usually their partner, sibling, friend or even sometimes a stranger would wake them when he came by while others just sleep through the time for dinner and ask for it when they awaken again. Of course, there were those who would try to trick him into giving them another, telling him that they were sleeping and didn't get any but because he was good with faces it was not hard to know who was lying. He never really understood that part of people but he supposed he never will.

Interacts with: Inheritance Inheritance
Mentions: Heda Heda

Kaylee

Turbulence disturbed what little sleep had been granted to her, jostling her out of a dreamless state of sweet, unconscious bliss. It took her a moment to remember where she was and why. Her brother. The discovery. The pain. It all came rushing back to her in one, nauseating wave that wrenched her out of her seat and onto unsteady feet. Sunglasses perched on top of the bridge of her nose slipped, revealing the discoloration lining her eyelid, but she quickly replaced it as she wandered the aisle with no other place to go except the bathroom.

Kaylee had no need for it in that moment,-she hadn't consumed anything in days-but now that she was on her feet it seemed silly to turn around and sit back down. Adelaide probably wouldn't mind her seeking her out for a conversation, but there was no seat by her to sit in.

She would just go to the restroom and-

The plane was shaken once more and she stumbled, her arm brushing the passenger she was passing by. She hurried to right herself and mumbled an breathy apology, but as her gaze shifted to the one she had bumped into, her lips parted.

"Dr. Phillips?" she glanced to her left and seeing an open seat in the aisle directly across from him, she sat in order to avoid knocking into him again. "I apologize for bumping into you. It seems the ride is particularly rough this time, nyet?"

The plane rumbled and she gripped the arm rests as her face paled beneath her glasses. When it passed, she looked to him, but her hands didn't move to release the arm rests.

"Sorry, you probably don't even remember me," Kaylee said, trying to smile, but it came out as a grimace. The Russian lilt was evident in her voice and almost abrasive. However, her soft tone caressed the syllables that passed her tongue, drawing them out and mitigating the gruffness of the accent. "Antonio Dmitriev was my father. A few years ago, you were on the team that helped him at the hospital."

Whether or not he had only been some an intern or resident at the time, made little difference to her since the entire medical industry was a confusing mystery and that was how she intended to keep it.

Babka had been a nurse. Kaylee remembered her kind smile and wrinkled cheeks that sagged heavily with any exaggeration of a given expression. She had loved her career and had even tried sharing her passion with Kaylee. This came to an end when Kaylee fainted during one of her babka's ER stories.

After that, babka did not try dissuade her from pursuing a musicality path, saying, "Malyshka, work hard at your violin because that is your only hope."

They would both laugh, babka more so, and recall how she had fainted at the mere mention of blood.

She shook her head. That seemed like centuries ago.

"Where are you headed?" Kaylee inquired, stuffing her hands into the pocket of her hoodie and the thoughts along with them. Memories only served to torture the living, granting them glimpses through windows of memory, but denying access to those they remembered. She would do well to forget and focus on not dying herself.

Goodness knows her brother would have already put a hit out on her.

Last edited:
Dr. Jason Phillips
Before the kid could respond he was bumped into by a sickly-looking woman that staggered into him before promptly plopping into the seat across from him. Assuming the young teen was shy, he nodded at the kid before turning to the woman...who apparently recognized him. The semi-familiar Russian accent struck a chord in his mind, bringing back the exciting memory of the removing a bullet from Mr. Dmitriev's cervical spine. Whatever the situation, Mr. Dmitriev was shot in his back several times, his C2 and C3 vertebra destroyed by the bullets. After dozens of hours of frantic and delicate operating and over six procedures, the battle for Antonio Dmitriev's life was lost. Jason recalled the sickening feeling as he stood behind the primary surgeon, listening as he informed the Dmitriev family they hadn't been able to save the patriarch's life. He was in his residency back then, and it was his first time being able to actively participate in the surgery. While not taking the lead role in the operation, he remembered every gruesome detail of the procedure very vividly. It was the first and only fatal surgery Jason had ever been a part of.

"Ah yes!" Jason exclaimed, shaking the dreadful memory from his mind. "Miss Dmitriev...Kaylee was it? I remember you from your father's operation. I am sorry for your loss."

After the death of Mr. Dmitriev Jason had gone home and wept like a child. His first surgery had led to the death of a man. For a long time after he had wondered if the medical world wasn't for him, and heavily debated abandoning his path and quitting medical school. But after a successful ACL reconstruction on a young high school patient, Jason found his passion again and surged through his residency; becoming the youngest doctor in an era to perform a surgery by himself.

"Down under! I'm going to meet with a colleague to observe and learn from him. Dr. John Schlecter, if you have heard of him. He is perhaps the most talented orthopedic surgeon I have ever seen! What brings you here?"

MarieK MarieK

Interaction: _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ (Ash)

Ivy's gaze had been focused out the window so long, she had slipped into a trance. Well, maybe not a trance exactly, but she had finally managed zone out a little bit. It didn't help calms her any, her leg still bouncing a mile a minute. She couldn't help her mind from wandering to those games and shows where a plane goes down. Her sister joked about her bringing one of them to play, which definitely wouldn't have helped her situation in the slightest. But that was the kind of dark humor Ivy was find of. Still, it was for the best she didn't. Ivy's attention was suddenly pulled from her thoughts and the clouds outside when the woman sitting next to her spoke. Her words were kind enough, but there was the undeniable hint of annoyance in her tone. Which is exactly what Ivy had been trying to avoid, annoying the people next to her.

"Oh no, it's...it's okay," Ivy smiled, glancing at the man who had snorted when a flight attendant bright a seatbelt extender. Ivy didn't really need it, though it did make things a little more comfortable. Still, she didn't want to move closer to him. "I've never flown before, I'm sorry if I'm nothing you," Ivy added with another smile as she shifted in her seat. One of her hands moved up to rub the back of her neck. Hell of flight for a first time right? This and the return flight would no doubt be the only time Ivy flew. At least for a few years, this was awful. Not the small talk, that was fine, Ivy didn't particularly mind. And maybe that would help her calm down a little? The woman next her probably wanted to be left alone though. "I um...like your tattoos. They're cool." Ivy finally decided on, opening her mouth to ask where she had them done when a sudden rumble rocked the plane.

Ivy gripped one of the arm rests, a nervous chuckle falling from her lips. "That's normal right?"

Ash Takashi1628792826047.pngA first time flyer. That certainly explained the nervousness and inability to stay still for very long. The young woman beside Ash was either very gutsy or very stupid to chose this twenty hour marathon for her first flight (Ash hadn't yet decided which of the two options was the best option). Ash herself would much rather deal with the switch overs of multiple flights than have to endure flying anything more than nine hours in one go. But at such sort notice Ash couldn't afford to be choosy. The military was covering her costs for this flight after all.

She gave a single nod in response. "That's what I suspected. And besides, you're not THAT bad, I've sat beside far more annoying people." Ash hadn't missed the way that earlier when the woman's eyes flicked briefly to towards the man in the aisle seat when she said swapping seats wouldn't be necessary. Clearly Ash wasn't the only one put out by his earlier behaviour, a fact which made a slight smile appear at the corner of her mouth.

The complimenting of her tattoos caught Ash slightly off guard. The woman beside her didn't look the type to appreciate the artistic beauty of a good tattoo, but that just went to show that you could never judge a book by it's cover. She gave a genuine smile and was about to reply when, without warning, the plane shook and rolled to the side.

The sudden movement of the plane caught Ash by surprise, causing the rolled up jacket out to slip out from behind her back. She righted herself quickly, one hand going to her waist to check that she was securely buckled in. Closing the book she gave the man in the aisle seat a cursory glance, checking to see if he was firmly buckled in (he was). Her grey-green eyes, now very much alert turned their attention to the flight attendants in the aisle. Their expressions of surprise didn't last long, the attendants quickly schooling their features into something more neutral and unaffected. Ash guessed somewhere in their training airplane crew were instructed never to give the passengers any signs that things might going be wrong unless they knew with absolute certainty. A metal tube full of unnecessarily terrified people? Nightmare.

Turning back to the woman beside her she gave a sort of shrug. "Depends on what your definition of normal is I suppose. Not all flights have turbulence, but given the sheer length of this one? We were bound to get some at some point. Tower generally radios in to the pilots about any patches of turbulent air on the flight path so the passengers don't suddenly get thrown around. Well... they usually do on commercial airlines." "Military airplanes, on the other hand" Ash thought to herself "are another matter entirely."

Mention(s): cabin crew in the aisle
Interactions: Ivy ( FireMaiden FireMaiden )

Mentions: Heda Heda

Kaylee

As with every condolence, Kaylee responded to his socially-required apology with a sad smile and an appreciative nod. It had become so ingrained into her, that it was done unconsciously, and nearly felt as genuine as she hoped it came off as. Really, grief was a funny thing. Some days, she could get by without hardly thinking of her father, while others it felt as though every step was taken with a ghost at her side. She didn't believe in ghosts. Spirits, yes, but certainly not some white-sheet, howling soul who had merely returned from the dead to stalk the living. It was more comforting in a way to know that his soul was secured in whatever afterlife he found himself in. He couldn't hurt people there.

She loved his father, but she could never understand his organized crimes or lives he felt justified to take.

"The mob is your family," he would remind her. "And you cannot change who your family is, no matter how much you may want to."

She had never voiced her displeasure, but it had been evident in the quiet ways she had rebelled, and her father had noticed.

"Oh, that sounds exciting," she interjected, when he had told her where he was headed to. With a shake of her head, she relayed that she had not heard of the doctor, but her smile wished him the best. However, the smile faltered at his next question.

She cleared her throat, buying herself a few seconds to come up with a suitable response.

"Kangaroos." The word just came out, as if her mind thought spitting out something associated with the topic was the best path to take.

Kaylee had to restrain herself to keep from uttering a curse. She was possibly the most clumsy person she knew.

The painful second it took her to recover was disrupted by another rumble bombarding the plane. Around them, people shifted uncomfortably, and their disquiet made her wonder if something was amiss with the plane.

She didn't ride planes often, but didn't remember the rides being so rocky or loud.

"Um, Adelaide," she gestured to where the other woman was seated, "and I booked a flight together."

She knew she had to offer up more since her statement didn't really answer his question, but the truth wasn't an option and she despised lying. She was also terrible at it.

Avoiding his gaze, she rubbed her arm and bit the inside of her lower lip. If it had been a poker game, he would have been seconds way from calling her bluff and scraping in the winnings.

"My brother, he is the reason we're flying," she relented. It wasn't a lie, but she didn't elaborate.

"Also, kangaroos are... cute," her attempt at unraveling her words for his sake, crashed and burned. She winced at how awkward she sounded. "Well, I'd better leave you alone. Hopefully, the plane settles down soon."

But instead of rising to her feet, she hesitated, waiting for his response and the next rumble to subside.

coollogo_com-304886364.png
The faint rumbling felt by a few of the passengers would appear to be a one time incident. The plane settled as did most of the anxiety felt by some travelers. Not all, as the first time fliers no doubt were expecting the plan to shake more than just that. But as 5pm rolled on into night, the passengers were settled into their seats to get some rest. They wouldn't wake up in Australia, but they'd wake up a lot closer. At least, that's what they'd expect. The plane rumbled again, a clap of thunder no doubt waking some of the people on board. Lightening flashed moments later, accompanied by another rumble of the plane's body. Unexpectedly the weather had turned sour as they made their way over the Pacific ocean, but at the moment things were steady enough that the crew didn't feel the need to issue a warning. Thunder tore through the sky again, perhaps waking some of the more uneasy flyers, but it once again seemed rather harmless. Bad weather happened.

But the rain was pounding against the metal like a drum was concerning. There wasn't much light left before the clouds rolled in, but now without a doubt there was nothing but darkness outside. Usually, that wouldn't be an issue but coupled with the rain, the pilot was having issues navigating like he should. The PA crackled, a flight attendant clearing her throat. "Ladies and Gentlemen, due to the unexpected weather conditions, we will be making an emergency landing in Los Angeles. Once conditions improve, we can continue our flight to Sydney!" She spoke with a chipper, upbeat tune. Flight attendants were supposed to keep everyone comfortable of course. Not that they expected anything to go wrong anyway, unexpected weather changes were part of what they did. "You will all receive a complimentary 20 dollar gift certificate for either Subway or McDonald's for the inconvenience." The plane trembled again as the flight attendant put the PA phone down, lighting flashing through the sky again.

It was impossible to tell if the plane was actually turning. There was a slight dip, forcing a few people to lean to one side. But that was the only indication that he had actually managed to pull off the turn. The rain continued to pelt the plane, the storm not letting up any time soon. If the passengers were unsettled before, that certainly didn't help. The husband flying with his nervous wife was doing his best to calm her. Those with small children were trying to distract them as all passengers waited to land in LA. They had passed over California some time ago in their trip to Sydney, but it was a shorter trip than flying blindly to Australia. And all the sooner they'd get out of the storm faster. At least, that's what everyone had been hoping for.

It was hard to tell just how much time had passed. The turbulence only got worse, the rain continuing to attack the plane. One wing dipped, the plane shuttering the moment the fasten seatbelt light flickered on. "Ladies and Gentlemen, the fasten seatbelt light is now on," The same flight attendant from an hour before spoke again. It was a precaution, nothing more, incase the worse happened. No sooner than the chorus of clicks sounded throughout the plane did it shudder again and suddenly dropped. The passengers were violently thrown up against their seatbelts. A few seconds later, the plan shuttered again as it evened out, catching again, passengers thrown back into their seats. The plane shuttered again, a high pitched whine filling the cabin.

"La-ladies and gentlemen, please remain in your seats, we...we seem to be having technical difficulties," The flight attendant's voice came over the PA again, on unsteady feet after getting thrown when the plane dropped. Another high pitched whine filled the cabin, a sound that turned to the screeching of metal. Suddenly the masks dropped down from above them, the tail of the plane dipping. Seconds, only seconds after that sound, a...the sound was something hard to describe. Wind whipped through the plane, the nose dipping forward. To those who looked back, they'd find nothing. The tail of the plan had been ripped away, rain poured into the body, assaulting the passengers in tandem with the wind.

That high pitched whine filled the cabin again, metal shearing as it was ripped away from between the cockpit and the rest of the plane, the nose dipped further before it broke away completely. The remaining body of the plane dropped further, the screams of passengers almost overwhelmed by the thunderous sound of the wind rushing through the cabin. The decent only lasted a minute at most, before everything came to an abrupt, and violent stop.

Cockpit - Underwater at the edge of a drop off four miles away from the main island

Body - Lodged on a sand bar, the back of the body is slightly tipped up, caught on a few very resilient trees. The sand bar is connected to the island by a small "birdie that's hidden at higher tied, and a 2 mile swim from the main beach

Tail - Lost somewhere in the forrest

Last edited:

287392_IWxgoJ92.pngLocation: Flight 216 - Economy

The woman beside Ivy was more of a comfort than she may have realized. It was one hell of a trip to go on for a first time flyer, that was for sure. So the was thankful she had ended up next to someone nice. "Oh really? That's good to know," She chuckled a little as she rubbed the back of her neck again. Ivy knew how annoying some people found it when someone like herself kept getting up to walk past them. Not that Ivy had been doing it constantly, she calmed down after a few hours and was able to play her games rather peacefully. It didn't keep that old man from glaring every time she moved, but whatever. Once Ash had assured her that turbulence was normal, especially for a flight like this, Ivy sighed. "That makes sense." It really did, Ivy had hoped for a smooth ride the entire time, but she was probably being a bit too hopeful.

"Where'd you get your tattoos?" Ivy asked with a small smile, changing the subject so she could calm down a little bit. "I have one on my thigh. I'd have more but I haven't found the time." Whether or not her and Ash kept the conversation going, Ivy seemed to be feeling a little better. Her leg wouldn't keep still, but, it was a small price to pay. Ivy couldn't stay still in normal situations. A few hours passed, the sky getting darker and darker with each passing minute, the rumbling started again. The thunder causing her heart to jump. That definitely couldn't have been normal, right? Ivy glanced to Ash, wondering if the woman knew how to react to this. Sure raining couldn't have been too strange but this kind of storm? "Oh a 20 dollar certificate, great," Ivy mumbled, one hand gripping the arm rest nearest the window. Each time the plane rumbled, Ivy's heart jumped, her breath getting caught in her throat. It was the same feeling she'd get at the top of a roller coaster just before racing down the first slope.

She couldn't tell if they turned, but that was quickly the least of her worries. The plane was almost constantly trembling now, Ivy unable to find anyway to calm down now. What the hell was going on? It had to be the storm right? As soon as they were out, everything would- a faint ding and the flight attendant's voice coming back over the PA quickly drew the woman from her thoughts. They wouldn't turn the seatbelt light on unless something was wrong. Ivy hurried, pulling the seatbelt over her and fastening it. It seemed like as soon as she did, the plane dropped. If not for the seatbelt, Ivy would have been thrown up. Instead, the seatbelt caught her, digging into her gut before she slammed back down into her seat. "FUCK!" The word tore through her throat like a shot, Ivy doubled over for a few moments.

What happened next, Ivy could hardly process. It happened so quickly, the whine turning into that horrid sound before wind began to rush through the cabin. Ivy's chest began to rise and fall rapidly, petrified as she gripped the arm rests. The mask. She needed the mask. But Ivy was frozen. The rain pelted the back of her head, her hair whipping around with the wind, Ivy couldn't being herself to look back. Somehow she was finally able to reach up, bringing the mask down to hold against her face, fumbling with the strings to get them over her ponytail. That horrid sound filled the plane again, the wind getting faster and faster. It didn't click that they were falling. She didn't have time to process it as suddenly, the world was dark.

Ivy would open her eyes sometime later. Maybe just a few minutes had passed, maybe a few hours. She wouldn't know. The emergency lights above her head flickered dimly, Ivy trying to stand but finding herself unable to. Patting her abdomen, the young woman discovered she was still in her seatbelt. That was a good thing right? Teaching up, she pulled the mask off her face, looking around to try and find out what had happened, there she was. As her mind cleared a bit, Ivy realized her head wasn't the only thing in pain. One...one thing at time. Groaning softly, she reached down to undo her seatbelt. It gave way, Ivy falling forward somewhat, she fell into the backs of the seats infront of her. "Ow, damn it!" The woman hissed, trying to stand but finding it hard to get one steady feet. Looking around again, her eyes finally settled on the woman next to her. "Hey...hey are you okay?"

Dr. Jason Phillips
Kangaroos. She was here because Kangoroos. It didn't take a doctor to figure out she didn't want to talk about what she was doing here. He assumed that would be all he would get, but she gave him a bit more information before bashfully ending the conversation. Her brother, huh? And she was traveling with this Adelaide. Interesting. Regardless, it wasn't his business if they didn't want to share it, and he nodded before leaning back and falling silent...

The first jolt startled him out of his relaxed state, though he was very used to flying and didn't give it much more of a thought. When he heard the flight attendant talk about an emergency landing, he closed his eyes and exhaled in frustration. He'd have to wait even longer now! Of course it was his luck that his flight would get grounded before they got to their destination.

Another rumble shook the cabin, though Jason was hardly phased. He pulled out his journal and began to write...

May 6
It seems as though my luck is blackened, as violent storms have forced us to take an emergency landing in LA. I suppose this gives me the chance to see my parents, as they live in Newport only an hour away. It will be annoying to have to wait to see Dr. Schlecter, but I have waited for 8 years to see him and I can wait another 3 days.
I have also metyl...met! God damn, this plane constantly bumps and rumbles as it fights thrive the turnbalah-turbulence. I have met a woman that I have not seen for a long while, one Kaylee--------

Jason surged forwarded in his seat as the plane suddenly lost altitude, forcing him to close his journal. The seat belt light came on, and he quickly pushed up the tray and shoved his journal into his bag. This was really bad turbulence, even for an experienced flyer like himself. Another jolt, and the plane lurched forward, and then...

It was almost as if time passed in slow motion, and after Jason wasn't sure what he could remember. He remembered the sickening feeling of the rapidly dropping aircraft, and he remembered the terrible ripping and screeching sound of the cabin ripping apart from the cockpit. Wind and water swarmed into the cabin, the passengers falling so fast he could almost see the drops falling up towards him. The lights went out...darkness... lightning illuminating the terrified faces before darkness consumed them all. Perhaps in another world this was beautiful; the plasma and darkness battling for dominance over the free falling plane. Jason couldn't close his eyes, and was blessed by the beauty of the storn and cursed with the vision of unfortunate souls being thrown from the plane, decapitated, or crushed by the ruble. Screams were drowned out by the wind, and all he could do was grip the seat and pray to whatever Gods were out there that-

"Jason! Jason get up, honey!" A familiar voice woke him from his sleep. Emma must have made him breakfast. He sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He looked to the alarm clock...it was off. Strange. He plugged it back in and saw it was 8:17. It must have been a Saturday.

Jason walked out of his room and towards the kitchen where the smell of strawberry pancakes filled his nostrils. Smiling, he rounded the corner into the kitchen to see... disaster! It looked as though a tornado rampages through the kitchen; the windows were blown out, food scattered everywhere, and worst of ask the fridge was toppled with his beloved Emma lay pinned beneath. The light of day turned to an ashen grey, and the wonderful aroma became the stench of burning food. He sprinted over to her, grabbing her hand.

"Emma! What happened?!" He gasped out. He couldn't breathe. He began checking her vitals as best he could, growing more and more frantic as he found her life force fading. He tried to move the fridge, but it had to have weighed 600 pounds! He looked for a phone, noting the kitchen clock read 8:17. He stood up, looking for the house phone without success. His chest was tightening, the edges of his vision began to fade. What was going on? He hadn't had asthma since the 4th grade! He bent over the counter, gasping for air, when...

"It's too late. There's nothing you can do." He turned to see Emma standing by the door, suitcase in hand and glaring at him.

"Emma...?"

"You don't care about me, you never have. You only care about money and your job. You've pushed everyone away. You haven't seen your mother in over 10 years!" She snapped.

"I was...I was going to... going to see her..." He choked out. He couldn't get enough air! His vision began to fade.

"No you weren't. You're selfish and emotionally detached. Wake up!" He could barely see her through his fading vision.

"Emma...I need help...I..."

"Shut up, Jason! I'm done with you. Wake up!"

"What...?"

"Wake up! Wake UP! WAKE UP!"

Shoving his face out of the sand, Jason heaved in a great breath of air, coughing violently as sand filled his lungs. He pulled himself to his hands and knees, yelling out in a hoarse voice as his left arm twisted painfully, and he collapsed onto his side as he heard the pop and scraping of bone on bone. His shoulder was dislocated, and as he rolled to his back he took a deep, pained breath.

Fuck! Each breath felt like fire streaking through his chest. Ribs 6-8 were cracked, if not broken. With his left hand he did a quick assessment of himself. Legs were fine, though he had a high ankle sprain. His right shoulder was dislocated (fortunately just a minor subflaxation), broken fingers (a couple on each hand). Possible head trauma, but otherwise no sign of internal bleeding. He stayed on his back, watching the dark sky. He felt sprinkles of rain hit his face, and despite the cold he enjoyed the feel of it. Where was he? What had happened?

In a second it all came back to him. The plane. The crash! The people! Where was he? He forced himself to roll over, spitting out more sand as he tried to look around. The wind was cold and unfriendly, though Jason's shivering came from the adrenaline and fear, not the cold.

With a grunt he forced himself up, looking around. There was a seat near him-apparently he was thrown from the plane upon impact. He turned around, seeing the wreck of the plane behind him. Leaning up on the flipped seat, he called out in a hoarse voice.

"HELLO! IS ANYONE THERE?"

FireMaiden FireMaiden MarieK MarieK Heda Heda Hezekiah Hezekiah Red Skies on White Paper Red Skies on White Paper _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ Jackson123 Jackson123

Last edited:
Ash Takashi1629063990954.pngAsh let out an internal sigh of relief when the woman beside her visibly calmed at the explanation that turbulence was a standard feature of long haul flights and something that, as a passenger, you just had to endure. Had the woman gone the other way and freaked out, Ash would have had a real problem on her hands. She was trained in how to defuse bombs, NOT in how to comfort nervous, first-time flyers.

With the plane now levelled out and flying smoothly again, her new-found travelling companion took the opportunity to ask the question she'd intended to earlier (and one Ash was frequently asked in tones of both wonder and disgust- this woman definitely in the former camp). "That's a question with an unsurprisingly LONG answer." Ash gave a slight chuckle then held out each arm in turn, flipping them over so the woman beside her could see that the inked designs covered not just the outside but the inside skin of her tanned arm. The designs varied greatly from geometric patterns, to animal motifs, to runic symbols and to tiny letters of names and in some cases dates. "Some of them I got back when I lived in Australia. The particular place I lived in had quite a few tattoo parlours and as a teenager I gave business to pretty much all of them. The rest I got abroad, every place I've travelled to I got a tattoo there and every significant person is represented in ink too. Some were done professionally, others were done by colleagues who had skill and steady hands. I only attempted to tattoo myself once..." Ash winced slightly at the memory. "I wouldn't recommend it. Hurts like you wouldn't believe and it landed me in hospital with a blood infection." Seeing the look on the woman's face Ash nodded somberly. "Yeah... not fun. Go to a professional if you want more, but make sure you actually WANT another before committing. Don't just get them because they look cool."

From that point onward conversation flowed easily enough between the two women now that the ice had been broken. The woman in the window seat- who Ash learned was called Ivy- proved enjoyable to talk to, so much so that Ash folded down the corner of her page and carefully put the book back into her canvas rucksack (army surplus naturally) so as to give Ivy her full attention. As well as giving her own name (just Ash Takashi- no need to give the whole spiel about the Irish origins of the name Aisling) Ash found herself explaining the symbolism of some of her less personal tattoos, telling Ivy that she had been trained as a mechanical engineer (not technically a lie, she had started off in the military engineering corps, but had been transferred to the specialist bomb disposal training division after the first year) and that she had grown up in Australia, but didn't live there any more as the specialist nature of her work meant she had to work abroad.

The darkness, heavy rain and intermittent flashes of lightning didn't bother Ash, at least not at first. It was a welcome change from the the scorching heat, relentless sunshine and parched winds of the bases she'd been posted to. She found the sound of the rain lashing against the outer skin of the plane strangely soothing. It was only when the cabin crew announced that the plane was being diverted back to the States that annoyance flashed across Ash's faces. "You've got to be KIDDING me!" she muttered sourly under her breath. Doing a U-turn meant that, not only would she not she wouldn't get to Australia, she would have to take at least another two more planes on top of the three other flights she'd completed in the past 48-ish hours. Ash couldn't help but give a snort of agreement at Ivy's derision of twenty dollar compensation gift certificate. It was a measly amount and neither restaurant option particularly appealed to Ash.

Looking out the window it was impossible for Ash to tell if they were turning, let alone moving. They seemed to be right in the middle of dense, dark storm cloud. Any defining features on the ground (or more likely ocean) below were utterly obscured. Ash tightened her belt by a few millimetres to be sure it was secure when the fasten seatbelts announcement came out. It might just be her imagination, or paranoia induced by a looong day of travelling, but it seemed like the cabin announcer sounded nervous. The next announcement confirmed her theory- the cabin attendant was shitting bricks. Something was very wrong.

The first lurch of the plane caught Ash by surprise, throwing her forwards. Her head cracked against the seat in front of her with a sickening crunch, rendering her instantly unconscious and breaking her nose. The crunch of the flesh and bone of her nose crunching against the moulded plastic of the fold down table, followed by the thump of her head banging against that same seatback was lost in the cacophonous groaning and creaking sounds that engulfed the whole plane. The sounds seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. Now unconscious, Ash's body was at the mercy of the twisting, bucking and rolling of the plane- it was thrown around like a rag doll. A piece of flying debris split open her forehead her forehead, her army surplus canvas backpack was flung out from under the seat in front where it jammed against Ash's legs, painfully forcing them back underneath her seat and the constant, violent jostling of her hands her hands and lower arms against the fabric of the seat left them scraped and rubbed raw.

Ash let out a low, pained groan. She was lying face first on the ground.
Ears ringing.
Heart thumping like it was trying to burst out of her chest.
Head pounding.
A lance of pain against her hand, the left one, which was splayed out in front of her
Debris- some bit of brick, mortar or twisted piece of metal- that had been blown sky-high and was now returning to earth. A deadly rain falling down on her body. She lifts her head a fraction and sees....
Pieces of ash and light grime, falling slowly, almost mockingly- a cruel parody of the of the picturesque snowfall every kid longed for in winter.
"Hey!"

Hey... head
Head screaming with pain... surrounded by screams- the injured, the dying, the panicking
Crackling fires, crumbling of once-proud, once firm buildings into rubble, crashes, like thunder as the blocks hit the ground.
Fingers reach for purchase
"Hey!"

hey... heaving
Heaving up body- a superhuman effort
Fingers twitch, curl, uncurl
Tips brush over....

Plastic... not hot Afghan sand. Plastic flooring. Not Afghanistan. A plane.

Ash came round with a choked gasp, Ivy's panicked voice ringing in her ears. Her face was throbbing, she could taste blood on her tongue and lips, her legs were pinned, her hands shaking slightly. The seatbelt dug painfully into her body, but not painfully enough to indicate a broken rib. Turning her head towards the aisle she spat to one side- a mixture of blood and snot (but mainly blood)."I'm alive! I'm in one piece!" she called to Ivy as her eyes flshed around the cabin of the plane- or what remained of it - illuminated by lightning flashes and the glow of what ceiling lights had survived the descent. There was screaming and sobbing and groans of pain coming from her fellow passengers. She closed her eyes again and took in a deep breath, held it, then let it out slowly. She repeated this for a few moments to ground herself, then began taking stock. Just like she'd been trained to do.

Pushing the backpack off her feet she unbuckled her seatbelt (which released her after some fumbling) and stood up on the seat of the plane. The front end of the plane containing the cockpit and pilots..... gone. The back end of the plane... also gone. Cabin crew.... in just as bad a state as the passengers. This was chaos somebody had to take charge. She first wiped a hand across her face, smearing the blood away fro her mouth, then mustered up all the strength she could find. The wind through and around the plane had lessened now that they were on the ground and not hurtling towards it in an open-ended cylinder, but she still had to shout to be heard. "Everybody! Everybody!"

Head turned towards her as Ash began banging her fist on the ceiling of the plane to get everybody's attention. "EVERYBODY! QUIET DOWN AND LISTEN UP! WE'RE REALLY IN THE SHIT NOW! AND IT'S GONNA GET WORSE UNLESS WE GET OUR ACT TOGETHER AND GET ORGANISED! EVERYBODY COME TO THE MIDDLE OF THE PLANE WHERE IT'S THE LEAST EXPOSED! ANYBODY HERE WITH MEDICAL TRAINING OF ANY KIND, MILITARY TRAINING, EXPERIENCE IN SEARCH AND RESCUE, SURVIVAL SKILLS? PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND! HELL EVEN LANGUAGE SKILLS WILL BE USEFUL- WE PROBABLY DON'T ALL SPEAK ENGLISH, BUT WE GOTTA MAKE IT WORK!"

Mention(s): all on board the main plane segment
Interactions: Ivy ( FireMaiden FireMaiden )
Tags: Inheritance Inheritance Heda Heda Hezekiah Hezekiah Jackson123 Jackson123 Red Skies on White Paper Red Skies on White Paper MarieK MarieK FireMaiden FireMaiden

Kaylee

Dr. Phillips gave her a nod, putting a swift, merciful end to the awkward turn of the conversation. As he reclined and quieted, she wanted to say more, something dignified to put herself in a better light, but she recognized the desire as pride and sighed, shutting her eyes.

By now, her brother would have purchased her death. She could only hope the hitman was not anyone she knew. It should be a quick and painless death, since she was related to him, but she wasn't so sure he uphold the traditions and beliefs of the mob now that their father was gone. Her brother's crimes had exceeded necessity and crossed over to sinister objectives for his own personal gain. Where her father sought order, her brother's thirst for power discarded whoever remotely identified as a threat. Her mistake was getting in his way. It was the one time she had stood up for what was right and it had landed her on a plane.

At least she wasn't going to die here.

The plane shook, this time more violently than before and she opened her eyes at the sound of the flight attendant who had mentioned the need to make an impromptu landing an hour before, directing them to buckle up. She had dreaded the news of being on the same continent as her brother, but she would have given anything to be there in that moment.

Despite the attendant's instruction to the crew for them to put on their seat belts, but Kaylee couldn't seem to pry her fingers from the armrests. She was terrified and her body refused to operate under the stress of the terror. Just as she finally persuaded one hand to release an armrest, she was thrown back against her seat.

Screams pilfered the silence. She wished they would cease, but belatedly realized her lips were parted and her vocal chords had chosen to join the blood-churning chorus of fear and knowledge of impending demise, on their own accord. She forced her mouth shut along with her eyes. Whatever happened, she didn't want to see it.

But somewhere within the chaos, she lost her grip on consciousness and she was thrown into blessed darkness that enveloped her mind with pillowy quiet and welcomed naivety.

~

Consciousness was a slippery slope she couldn't quite find purchase on.

Until the voice.

"Hello! Is someone there?"

Gradually, she woke, but she resented the tide that pulled her into conscious awareness. There was something on its shore that she wanted to avoid- an awful remembrance of fear and tragedy. Sleep and numbness turned gritty as her tongue rolled over the roof of her mouth, touching sand. Her nostrils flared, inhaling water as the sea infiltrated the space around her, tugging at the already drenched clothes on her body.

The need for oxygen wrenched her head from the sand and she coughed and choked until her lungs dispelled the salt water she had inhaled. It burned her throat and nose as it came up, but she was thankful to find breath again.

As she wavered on her knees, she recalled the events. The irony of having nearly died trying to escape death did not escape her. She took a mental assessment of her person, flexing muscle and tracing discomfort and pain to the limbs they stemmed from. There was nothing substantial. She was almost miraculously unharmed with only an ache in her back and a dull pain receding from her chest from the intake of water.

Recalling the voice, she climbed onto her feet and wavered. Gripping onto the boulder she had landed beside, she used it as leverage and straightened. Peering over it, she saw Jason.

"Doctor!" she called out to him, but it came out a hoarse whisper. The exertion it took to walk around the side of the rock made her head spin. Maybe the accident had caused more internal damage that she had realized? But nothing really hurt aside from her back and that was probably due to her being tossed out the plane.

Where were the others? Had there even been any survivors outside of them?

Kaylee then noticed the plane and shuttered at the thought of people yet trapped within its torn and battered frame. Jason could help them.

She managed to make it to where he was before the ground teetered beneath her and she fell to her knees. Her complexion was abnormally pale, but there was no sign of blood or any kind of wound.

"Your shoulder," she murmured, gathering enough strength to climb to her feet once again. Without explanation, she pulled the fabric of his shirt away from the area and inspected the lump she had noticed before. It was as expected- a dislocated shoulder.

Her brother once fought in MMA and she had seen his trainer reset the bones of team members more than a handful of times. Although she had a weak stomach, she had been observant enough to pick up on the jist of the technique.

"It's dislocated?" she asked, reaching out and gently wrapped her fingers around the wrist of his injured arm. He was an actual doctor who would be able to affirm or dispute her diagnosis. When he did, she would nod.

"How do you-?"

In mid-sentence, she performed the same crude technique she had watched the trainer do to the members. The unwavering movement of her hands was driven by the knowledge that hesitating would only cause him more pain. Whatver confidence her hands presented was feigned and the fear in her gaze told as much.

Pulling his arm forward and straight, her other hand braced his shoulder and felt for the indication of the ball of the arm bone slipping back into the socket.

The movement agitated her back, but she maintained momentum even as she cried out in pain. Carefully, she released his wrist and stepped back, glancing over her shoulder to inspect the origin of pain in her back.

A piece of metal was embedded in her back. Four or so bloody inches of it was sticking out of her flesh. The only thing that kept her from passing out was the idea of the doctor having to remove it.

As calmly as humanly possible, she turned back to him and pointed through the rain toward the plane.

"We need to help the passengers."

Aseph Lopez
{ Location: Flight 216, Economy }
{ Mentions : _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ and Everyone in the main plane }
{ Interactions : Open }​

The low humming of the plane's engines was a comforting sound, especially when all of the passengers were asleep or doing a silent activity such as reading or watching a movie. The passengers were either eating, making small talk or asleep by the time Aseph was pushing the cart back to where it needed to be when there was a sudden rough turbulence which made him quickly strike his arm out, holding down the the drinks that were about to fall. Sighing heavily he continued on down the hall and once he got to where the intercom was, leaving the cart right beside him. More rough turbulence went through the whole plane, instantly making the passengers start to murmur in slowly rising panic. Clearing his throat, his work mode activated as he picked up the intercom microphone and spoke into it after the pilot made. He could start to feel his heart start to pick up speed when the turbulence only got worse, but he was working and he needed to do what he was trained to. After making his own announcement to the passengers he sat down where he needed to be, buckling himself down per protocol. And it was the moment that the click of the seatbelt coming together reached his ears was when his stomach dropped and he felt his head hit the wall behind him as the plane started to go down.
The screams were loud but the pounding in his ears was much louder. The oxygen masks dropped and just as he grabbed it and put it around his face things turned from bad to worse. Wind started whipped into the plane and Aseph was one of the people who had to horrifying position to watch as the back end of the plane rip itself apart, instantly getting hit in the face by something that made blood instantly come out and the knee that though it probably wasn't broken he would have a bit of a hard time walking for a while, but the adrenaline from the panic and fear he was feeling barely even came to processing the pain. His eyes kept focusing and unfocusing as panic ran through his veins and he forced them to shut, praying that this was all just a horrible nightmare and that it would end quickly.

Aseph didn't know when they all stopped falling before the ground caught them and once his eyes slowly opened, it took him a while for his eyes to be able to focus again. Groaning a bit he realized that he tasted blood in his mouth, he lifted his hand to his face, ripping off the mask off of his face, wincing as he did so as the movement sent a stinging pain up his back. He heard screaming from others but he could barely even register that there were others around, the only thing that his brain forced him to focus on was the pain he was feeling. Without really thinking about how it came to be the flight attendant spit out the mouthful of blood he had at his side. Without really thinking about it his hand traveled down to his seat belt and he unbuckled himself, with the way that he was seated that only resulted the soreness he started to feel around his pelvic area once the belt released its pressure. He blinked before looking around, trying to register what happened, especially when the first thing that his eyes focused on was a dead passenger. It was horrifying. Why did this have to happen? He was just doing his job and this happened? He couldn't understand. He shook his head a little and let out a little cough which made him go into a rough coughing fit, the blood splattering out before he lifted himself out of his seat, it was honestly a wonder to him how he survived, let alone being able to move. He took in a deep breath, wiping his mouth with the back of hand and then wiping with the front of his hand a long wound that was dripping with blood from the earlier hit. The yelling that he heard earlier was slowly starting to clear and it was getting more and more comprehensible, by the time he was fully there he had limped to the middle of the plane where a passenger was giving out orders. That was fine to him, at least someone had it at the very least a little bit put together. He did not know much as he had never done survival training, military training, or a lot of medical training but at the very least he could speak Spanish, French and Mandarin if what they needed was a translator and basic first aid. He doubted that there were many people who did survive and if they did it wasn't extremely likely that they only spoke one of those languages but he was there for it if he was needed, and so he made himself known that that was what he was able to do for anyone that needed it.​

Dr. Jason Phillips
The painful and strangely familiar pop of a shoulder bet set brought a swift wave of pain followed by a sense of tingly-relief. He was surprised Kaylee knew how to set a shoulder, but was distracted when she turned around to reveal the bloody shard gorged into her back. She turned back to face him, saying something about saving the people in the plane, apparently uncaring of her injury. Taking a closer look, he saw the damage wouldn't be fatal. He debated pulling it out now but was worried that she might bleed out without proper dressing of the wound. The wind blew around them, causing Jason to shiver.

"We need to get my bags before I can help anyone. I have a sling in there for myself; the sooner I can get my arm in working order the more effective I can be at helping people. You need to take a break here so I can remove that object from your back!" He said quickly, hearing the distant talking of other people.

He looked around, noticing his backpack nearby the seat that was flung from the plane. Hurrying towards it, he saw that it seemed to survive the crash and was in fine condition. With his left hand, he unzipped the bag and dug through it, finding pads and medical tape, as well as a few finger splints. Splinting and taping fingers (despite the agony in his right arm), he shouldered his bag and went back to Kaylee.

"Turn around." He ordered. After getting her permission, he lifted her shirt and carefully removing the foreign object. He quickly dabbed the wound with a cloth soaked with disinfectant, soaked up some blood around it, then pressed multiple guaze pads against the wound before taping it up. It wasn't the cleanest dress, but it would do until he had more time to work on it.

"We need to get to the plane to find my bags and help others." He stated, hopefully sounding much more confident than he felt. "Let's go."

MarieK MarieK

Interacts with: Everyone.

Kaylee

She hated the feeling of uselessness, but she was not medically inclined and could only watch as he tended to his fingers.

There was a poem she had read in school about a doctor describing how he saw people. Years spent practicing medicine had stripped him of the ability to see people as souls and he could only see bodies. Even women had been stripped of beauty in his eyes, their bodies no long an attractive shape, but merely a medical diagnosis waiting to be penned. Idly, the poem came to mind as Dr. Phillips tugged at her shirt, exposing the small of her back to the elements as he worked to remove the metal.

Black dots intruded on her vision at the feel of him working, but she managed to remain awake- albeit barely.

When he had told her to turn around, she had refused him and half a mind to run off. If the wound didn't cause pain at any abrupt movement, she probably would have at least attempted to escape. As childish as it was, she would have rather risked leaving the debris buried in her back than having him treat her. Something about being another of his patients in need, bothered her.

After a heartbeat, she had relented and turned.

Wanting to thank him, but feeling too shocked and cold to do anything but shiver and nod her head, Kaylee followed him, wordlessly.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that the plane was incapable of ever flying again, but it was still depressing to know that they had no chance of flying out of there, wherever there was.

"Hello?" Kaylee called out, as the two of them approached the plane. She allowed the doctor to lead the way as they maneuvered around the debris. How long had it been she had a tetanus shot? Since school, maybe?

She shook her head, trying not to visualize the grotesque images of the photographs she had seen of those who had came down with tetanus. Strange how basic medical interventions were suddenly craved for the most. Not only were shots something they no longer had access to, but also pain medications. The process of removing the metal from her back had been excruciating. She couldn't help but feel compassion for those who had suffered greater afflictions.

The momentarily relief she felt seeing that the woman she had been talking to was alive was quickly washed away when Ash yelled. Ivy groaned, turning her head on instinct. "God," Ivy hissed, one hand slipping up to press against her temple. Which was quickly revealed to be a bad idea, the pressure making her head spin. What Ash had yelled was... obviously the right thing to do, they'd be stuck here until rescue came and working together was the only way to survive right? But as Ivy shifted, wanting to help, she immediately froze again. Something was...was very wrong here. She wasn't a doctor. She wasn't a nurse. But Ivy knew something was fucking wrong. "Ash...Ash I need-" Her face paled, stomach churning as Ivy clamped a hand over her mouth.

"Sick?" A deep voice asked, Ivy looking up the best she could. A dark haired man who looked mostly unscathed was standing on the other side of the seats infront of her. Ivy nodded, closing her eyes, every little movement causing her head to spin. The man grabbed something from the seat next to him before handing it over. Ivy grabbed it immediately, holding the bag up to her mouth. Moments later, her shoulders tensed and Ivy lost that terrible airplane dinner. "I'm John Kidman," The man spoke as Ivy dealt with her stomach issues. His Australian accent was pretty clear, his voice deep and a little hoarse. "I have some basic first aid knowledge, but some of these people are going to need a real doctor," He stated, shifting somewhat. As he did, Ash would maybe notice he was favoring his left foot over his right, no doubt it had been injured in the crash.

"How...how val-valuable is common sense?" Ivy asked with a dry chuckle, spitting into the bag John had given her. After a few moments, she finally straightened up as the nausea passed. At least for the moment. "That's... cause that's about all I have..."

The master alarm caught Captain Henrietta off guard. And then, before she could react, the plane starts plummeting downwards. She grab onto the control stick and try all her best to level out the massive airbus, to no avail, the metal being stretched by gravitational force are making a deep disturbing sound. While she’s trying desperately to regain control of the plane, she contacted the nearest air traffic control in the vicinity as they just flew across California.

“MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY, Los Angeles control, Flight 216 heavy, main electric failure, request immediate landing at Los Angeles and block flight level above and below me, heading 250 flight level 190 descending, 346 souls on board.”

“Flight 216 heavy roger the mayday” the air traffic controller on the other side sounds professional and calm. “Turn left heading 110, radar vector ILS runway 6R”

For a brief moment the plane nose seems to pitch upwards and back to level flight. Alright, maybe I can fly this thing back after all, Henrietta reassure herself.

“Flight 216 heavy, ah, request runway 7L”

“Roger flight 216, turn right heading 120 for radar rectoring runway 7L, descend to 3,000 ft, report established”

“Flight 216, heading 120, report established localiser runway 7L…”

At this moment, the overstrained parts of the plane finally gave in and once again starts plummeting.

“Ahh, Los Angeles this is flight 216, altitude uncontrollable, we’re going down into the pacific.”

Ignoring the confused “I’m sorry i didn’t catch that, come again flight 216?” from the ATC, Captain Henrietta picked up the PA system for cabin.

“This is your Captain speaking, I just wanted to take this time to remind you that your seat cushions can be used as floatation devices…anyway, brace for impact.”

At the last moment before touch down into the ocean, she deployed the flaps in hopes of slowing down the plunge and maybe bring the nose upwards, as a vertical dive into the ocean would certainly kills everyone on board. Her flight instructor back in the days had taught her never give up flying the plane until the last moment, and this is what she’s doing. Air brakes, flaps, altering thrust and reverse thrust, the control stick feels heavy and the aileron doesn't seems to work anymore. Finally she struggled to have the plane set in a nose up position for water landing, the cockpit somehow just being torn apart when the fuselage frame eventually being overstrained enough that it’s being ripped apart.

Henrietta did not expect herself to survive when the blue ocean filled the whole of her cockpit windshield, yet somehow she regained her consciousness. The LCD cockpit display are fried, and the overhead panel are fallen apart. She look back and immediately saw the stormy night sky and feel the rain pouring in——THE WHOLE PLANE IS GONE. How did she survive that, she don’t know, the cockpit for the moment seems to just float like a little boat, but it’s slowing sinking she can feel it. Her first officer is nowhere to be seen, perhaps he just left, perhaps he didn’t made it, she have no idea. She put on a life jacket and sheathing her HK USP40 pistol into her concealed holster, before she jumps into water and starts swimming towards the...fuselage part of the plane she saw burning in a distance around 4 miles away. She’s lucky enough that she didn’t even have wound large enough for bleeding to attractive sharks and the tidal waves seems to be pushing her towards the direction she needs to be.

The plane is a mess, the twisted remains of people, blood, severed limbs and splattered organs together with the small fire burning in the plane mixed together produce a weird barbecue smell. What a carnage.

“Is anyone still alive in there?” She shouts.

Last edited:
Ash Takashi1629915275121.pngShortly after Ash had finished her yelling, another passenger picked up her call, directing it towards the passengers seated further down the plane. As she turned her head to survey the scene, her foot slipped on the seat edge. Instinct meant her hands latched onto the seatback, but just as she'd stabilised herself she was hit by a sudden, violent wave of dizziness. Her vision blurred and she felt a thunderous pounding in the back of her head (and it wasn't because of the rain lashing down on the plane's outer skin). Clenching her eyes shut she took in a series of deep breaths, her hands clenching the seatback, fingernails digging into the rough fabric, blood seeping slowly from the myriad of cuts on her hands and into the fabric of the airline seat. Ash recognised the combination of sensations- she was concussed, and quite badly at that. She guessed she'd hit her head at least twice as the plane plummeted.

The sound of the remains of Ivy's plane meal being vomited up into the sickbag brought Ash back to herself. Opening her eyes she slowly turned her head to survey the scene around her. The cry had worked, people were making themselves towards the plane's midsection- the section she knew would be least affected by the lashing rain and howling winds. They were a bedraggled bunch, everybody was bruised and bloodied (not necessarily with their own blood), some were cradling injured arms, and some like the dark skinned cabin crew man were limping. The only positive sight was that some of the passengers (no more than five) had raised hands, indicating they possessed some useful skills. Not nearly as many as Ash would have liked- though, in her ideal world the majority of the plane's passengers would consist of seasoned survivalists and medical professionals- but hopefully there would be enough to bring the situation somewhat under control.

It was an Aussie in the seat ahead who spoke up first, from her vantage point standing up Ash could see that every time he shifted he was doing it to keep the weight off one of his legs. The fact that this man- John- had only basic first aid, well, it was damn better than nothing. "I'm Ash Takashi." She replied, addressing the group once again, in less of a shout and more of a normal, but still authoritative voice. With one bloodies hand she reached underneath her t-shirt, fingers wrapping around the metal chain she always wore. The links were warm against her hand as she pulled it out, holding it up so all could see it. Hanging on the metal link chain were her dog tags and a metal badge mounted on a piece of leather. At first glance it looked like a smaller version of American police detective shield, but a closer look would reveal the logo to be that of the Army Engineer Corps with her name and rank engraved below it. "Active member of the army corps. I'm no medic either, my specialities lie elsewhere, but I DO have some medical training, mainly in emergency gunshot treatment and IED shrapnel damage. I HAVE got survival training though and experience dealing with the aftermath of bombings. And from what I see, i can only agree, these people need proper medical aid."

Her eyes then turned to the assembled crowd. "Anybody here a doctor? Or know if there's a doctor on board?" She asked only to receive a round of solemn head shaking. Ash then turned to the cabin crew member nearest to her, whose crooked badge labelled him as Aseph. "You, Aseph, how many first aid kits are on board this plane and where are they?" While Aseph considered his answer Ash turned to look at Ivy, giving the girl what she hoped came across as a reassuring smile. "More valuable than you'd think at first glance. In situations like these? It's all about staying calm, thinking logically and not giving in to panic. That applies to everybody, regardless of their experience or training."

Mention(s): Aseph, Ivy, John Kidman, passengers on the flight
Interactions: Ivy/John ( FireMaiden FireMaiden ) Aseph Red Skies on White Paper Red Skies on White Paper [/imageFloat]

Dr. Jason Phillips
Water. Need Water.

The strange thought crossed his mind as they approached the destruction before them. Jason felt a bitter cold creep through him, along with a numbness that crept deep into his bones. The numbness made him want to shiver, and yet there was another numbness that swam around in his mind. What should be a stabbing pain throughout his body was reduced to a dull throbbing; probably due to the adrenaline and shock. Jason knew he'd need to act fast to take advantage of the lack of pain, knowing full well that he would need to help all the injured passengers. Clearing his head of other thoughts, he approached the carnage of the plane with Kaylee.

He stepped through the wreckage and began listening to the people talking. It seemed this Ash character was singling herself out as a leader. Good, the group needed someone to lead them, and at this point anyone would do. Jason might manage it, but at the moment he wanted to focus on getting his bags and helping out anyone he could. He was much more useful as a doctor than a leader right now, but that didn't mean he couldn't eventually become both. At the mention of "is there a doctor on board", he knew it was his time to step up.

"I am." He called out in a hoarse voice. "A doctor I mean. A count of first aid kits is vital, and if anyone sees a black suitcase with a Jayhawk on it, please let me know! It contains quite a bit equipment that may be vital for passenger care." He moved towards Ash, standing next to her and looking out at the passengers. He turned back to her.

"I need my luggage that I checked as well. I have an entire bag full of surgical and other medical tools that we will need." He told her in a quiet voice. "If you can get it up to me I can start helping people."

He stepped up towards Ash, surveying the damage. Blood, broken limbs, corpses. In a normal circumstance Jason might have vomited, screamed, fainted. But he was used to blood, and the numbness and shock that held his mind prevented him from feeling anything more than a deep, soul chilling cold.

FireMaiden FireMaiden _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ @any passenger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back