Other Mary Sues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah what?

I was using the example you used of saying that I was lashing out at people about their definition of Mary Sue.

Which I was not doing. I was informing them that my definition of NPC differed from them and why. Which I have already told you.

At this point YOU are the one who is coming after me for no reason.

Hell your arguing with me on whether or not I was arguing with other people.

All because you said I couldn't argue anymore

WHEN I WASN'T DOING that in the first place.

For gods sake we're doing a circle bit of nonsense at this point.

Just stop quoting me and I'll stop responding and we can go about our day.

I used to roleplay on Wattpad, which had a pretty strong scene if you knew where to look, and for about six months, you saw a lot of Mary Sues running around, but it was everyone, because we were all figuring out what the boundaries were and how far we could push them. For about a year, everything was pretty chill, with no overpowered characters running around, and then there was a surge of new people, which wasn't necessarily bad, but they just had some weird ideas which were Mary Sue all over.

One guy had a character who was supposed to be a god, with the ability to create matter out of nothing, and a sword that could create black holes. What annoyed me more than anything was that people loved him, even though was was A) a bit of a prat in person B) overpowered C) illiterate. There were a handful of characters, mine included, which you could say were OP, but they had drawbacks. This guy just went ham with his character, it was really dumb.

So the guy himself or the character was illiterate. Because actually I would pay money if one of the people who made a Mary Sue made them legit illiterate. It would be such a fascinating drawback to an otherwise "perfect" character.

I work at a library so I guess to me the idea of someone having phenomenal power and yet being unable to read a road sign or a book is really intriguing. It would be an interesting thing if they you know actually fleshed it out.

Made the character kind of embarrased that their one great weakness is that they never learned to read or write.

Of course most of these characters would probably not care if that was the case as who needs letters when your OMG so speshul.

But it would be kind of fun to think about.

I was using the example you used of saying that I was lashing out at people about their definition of Mary Sue.

Which I was not doing. I was informing them that my definition of NPC differed from them and why. Which I have already told you.

At this point YOU are the one who is coming after me for no reason.

Hell your arguing with me on whether or not I was arguing with other people.

All because you said I couldn't argue anymore

WHEN I WASN'T DOING that in the first place.

For gods sake we're doing a circle bit of nonsense at this point.

Just stop quoting me and I'll stop responding and we can go about our day.
I'm just trying to stop arguing, and figuring things out. I'm not trying to argue, but if it seems that way, oh well.

I am NOT coming at you for no reason. I'm just trying to stop this unimportant argument, and I'm so damn tired of getting notifications from this thread.

If I seem fucking displeasing at this point, I'm sorry, I just had a rough day.

So the guy himself or the character was illiterate. Because actually I would pay money if one of the people who made a Mary Sue made them legit illiterate. It would be such a fascinating drawback to an otherwise "perfect" character.

I work at a library so I guess to me the idea of someone having phenomenal power and yet being unable to read a road sign or a book is really intriguing. It would be an interesting thing if they you know actually fleshed it out.

Made the character kind of embarrased that their one great weakness is that they never learned to read or write.

Of course most of these characters would probably not care if that was the case as who needs letters when your OMG so speshul.

But it would be kind of fun to think about.

The only reason his character would be illiterate was because he himself was, so whenever his character would write something, I imagine it'd be pretty poor. He was also one of those people who liked to pick folks up on 'there/they're/their', which would be fine, except he couldn't do it right himself.

I'm just trying to stop arguing, and figuring things out. I'm not trying to argue, but if it seems that way, oh well.

I am NOT coming at you for no reason. I'm just trying to stop this unimportant argument, and I'm so damn tired of getting notifications from this thread.

If I seem fucking displeasing at this point, I'm sorry, I just had a rough day.

You can stop the notifications you know. If you unwatch a thread you don't get notification. I am sure you can do something to the email notifications as well. But you might have to ask staff for that.

Also maybe yelling at random people because your having a bad day is not the way to go. Especially when I obviously have nothing to do with the state your day was in.

I was minding my own business working on my own roleplays when I get this notification telling me to stop arguing in a thread that I was not arguing in.

Like if you just want to say - Hey table the NPC discussion that's not what this thread is about

Than fine. I was pretty much done with the discussion anyway.

But by single me out to bitch at for no reason ( from my side ) just because your frustrated is not okay.

The only reason his character would be illiterate was because he himself was, so whenever his character would write something, I imagine it'd be pretty poor. He was also one of those people who liked to pick folks up on 'there/they're/their', which would be fine, except he couldn't do it right himself.

uuuugh fuck homonyms. seriously do you know how many hours I gotta spend re-typing responses cuz i get them wrong. And bless but I can't count how many partners have done their level best to correct it too.

like hey geek you messed up right with write again. or it's your not you're or whatever.

At this point I just tell them. Hey if you can't figure out the sentence than let me know. Otherwise just assume I got the right form because I'm just not gonna catch all the mistakes.

On a side note I might use that idea anyway. Illiterate Mary Sue.

If I ever get to join a roleplay that mary sues would be allowed in I think it would be super fun.

You can stop the notifications you know. If you unwatch a thread you don't get notification. I am sure you can do something to the email notifications as well. But you might have to ask staff for that.

Also maybe yelling at random people because your having a bad day is not the way to go. Especially when I obviously have nothing to do with the state your day was in.

I was minding my own business working on my own roleplays when I get this notification telling me to stop arguing in a thread that I was not arguing in.

Like if you just want to say - Hey table the NPC discussion that's not what this thread is about

Than fine. I was pretty much done with the discussion anyway.

But by single me out to bitch at for no reason ( from my side ) just because your frustrated is not okay.
I tried unwatch several times, it didn't work. Also, I wasn't yelling. I was just simply stating what I felt was happening by reading everyone else's posts. Sorry if it seemed like yelling, but I wasn't. I read posts, and the tone of the posts were telling me it was an argument. I was not singling you to bitch at either. You were the closest post, and I forgot to quote the other by the other dude.

Anyway, yeah. Case closed, I guess.

I tried unwatch several times, it didn't work. Also, I wasn't yelling. I was just simply stating what I felt was happening by reading everyone else's posts. Sorry if it seemed like yelling, but I wasn't. I read posts, and the tone of the posts were telling me it was an argument. I was not singling you to bitch at either. You were the closest post, and I forgot to quote the other by the other dude.

Anyway, yeah. Case closed, I guess.

I sent you a PM that tells you how to stop getting notifications. If that doesn't work I would tell the staff as it might be a bug on your end.

Honey that’s like saying literate means to read and write.

That does not prevent it from also meaning a roleplay with a minimum of three paragraphs, lots of world building, and character sheets.

It is a matter of experience.

I was taught that literate means a roleplay with three plus paragraphs, PC means a playable character, and NPC means non playable characters. A character profile is a synonym for character sheets.

Roleplay is not a singular experience. The meaning of words are what you learn through experience.

In my experience a NPC is a non playable character.

Perhaps rather than being passive aggressive and assuming that my experience is wrong you could accept that there are different meanings of words in different contexts

Aaaalright, you have fun with that.

What I see here, is that you guys have been debating on what "NPC" means.

... yeah, nope.

Emmi Emmi Would you like me to lock your thread?

Also, to those who are arguing about subjective definitions, if you cannot debate civilly you shouldn't post at all. Also, the topic of this entire thread are to share stories of frustrating character's others feel were Sues in some manner, not to debate roleplay vocabulary definitions.

Yeah... that'll be awesome. Thanks
Done. Please feel free should things get out of hand like this to create a thread in Staff Contact. ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back