Other Mary Sues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep! And to add on, Mary/Gary she’s are characters who are too overpowered, and simply boring because they’re too perfect. Those who play these characters tend to one up other characters and make it so that their character is the absolute protagonist, and make sure that the whole universe revolves around them.

I get pissed at “stereotypical” Mary/Gary sues. These stereotypes are mostly “half blah blah blah blah” and that they do not have weaknesses and that they’re colorful. This may be true, but extremely rare. You can have a Mary Sue that’s just simply perfect, but with weaknesses that arent strong enough, resulting in the painful situation that it cannot be used against them. Mary Sues or Gary sues don’t always have to be colorful. They’re just seemingly perfect characters. They could be author insertment or wish fulfillment.

also truesies. but i kind of included that. but thankies for highllighting and clarifying that power is a popular wish to fulfill.

I see where you’re coming from, however, her backstory just seems too unrealistic, even for a Hades child. Scars that bleed at random times are not possible, since her character had received the scars when she was like three. Scars heal. Her character’s scars did not, which is totally unrealistic. Red eyes? Even for a Hades kid, that isn’t realistic. Heck, even for the Percy Jackson fandom, that isn’t realistic. I have talked about this to her, but she decided to be a little bitch about it, and lash out at my characters, claiming that they’re “underpowered”. Oh, I’m sooooo sorry that my character has realistic roots. Her character just had to be the hero, and she even acts like she’s the fucking protagonist every single fucking time I role play with her. Trust me. Instead of meta gaming, it’ll seem like a Mary Sue if you actually role play with her.

Once again, I have told her about her problems, but she refused to believe it.
I'm sure you could explain it away with LOLDEMI-GOD GENES but wouldn't having wounds that constantly seal and reopen get infected constantly?
It's a shame, you could make an interesting character out of this concept; just replace the edgelord scars with something like hemophilia, and maybe make it that they can only control some monsters that dwell under Hades domain.

Now in my mind a NPC is a character that is non-playable but exists to fulfill a plot purpose.

Hullo,

I just wanted to deke in and clear up one thing: NPC means non-player character. Technically any character the GM/DM plays is an NPC, even party members, because the GM/DM isn't technically a "player."

Anyway,
Bai!

the GM/DM/Storyteller is technically a player. they are just a player with increased responsibilities. though a player can also run an entourage of non player characters that are connected to their player characters. for example, a dungeons and dragons character with the leadership feat gains control over a cohort, a keep and a group of loyal followers and can even recruit them to their specific desired specifications. they might go as far as to minmax the cohort and followers to actually make them useful for what they seek from their keep's resources and can actually custom tailor their desired keep.

there is a reason the feat is banned at most D&D tables. literally too abuseable because a player can literally have an Army of PC classed Low Level NPCs if they have enough charisma. not just warriors but full on slayers or barbarians. for example, a Cleric could easily take over a diamond mine and have all the spell materials they need for most of their healing.

Last edited:
Once encounters someone who had their character the definition of Mary Sue she ate ton of fast food never got fat. She smoked but never smelled like smoke but as soon as my character ate a fkn piece of fries her character told my character she was fat then another one was she could fly and be invisible which meant she always got away with everything.

I've come across my fair share of Mary Sues in my time roleplaying, and it kinda sucks, because I find myself tending to create characters who are insignificant/unskilled/losers just to balance things out. Even if I do have a character who is highly skilled, usually I don't get a chance to utilise that because the story is all about how cool and powerful the other person's OC is, and the story often leads to unearthing their dark, mysterious past, which turns out to be an utter cliche.

There was this one particular person I roleplayed with over the course of a few months. The literal DEFINITION of a Mary Sue. Basically, she had this character who I think she used in every roleplay she did, with some ridiculously stupid name like Rose Thorn or something. She was this powerful, beautiful assassin for hire, who could cut a group of men to ribbons, heal wounds, change eye colour based on her mood, open rifts into other realms, time travel, stupid crap like that. She was basically a character with no limitations. Oh, and did I mention she was also a princess?

I decided to counter how stupidly unbelievable her OC was, I'd make a character who was just an ordinary merchant who fell into the possession of a dangerous object that curses its owner. I tried to guide the story and present challenges and obstacles. You know, make things actually interesting. But every time I would do so, her character would mysteriously gain a new skill that never existed before and swipe away the obstacle like it was nothing. My eyeballs nearly detached themselves from their sockets from the amount of eyerolling that occurred.

It would especially bother me when I started to introduce side characters to further flesh out the world and the narrative that were clearly supposed to be imposing and dangerous, but her OC was always irreverent, because of course, no one really presents a threat to her. It made it really hard to keep my OCs consistent and in-character.

Just as I was starting to reach some sort of resolution for my main OC's story, she decided to completely change the background of her character. She actually was not a long-lost princess anymore, she was some sort of demi-goddess/half-angel/half-demon who lost her memories, and that explained why she had all these omnipotent abilities, and then she whisked us away to go sort out her identity crisis in the year 2016. (It was set in a medieval fantasy world to begin with.)

After that point, I just gave up. :-_-lines:

Last edited:
a highly incompetent and unskilled loser is an Anti Sue, which is a Mary Sue applied in reverse. which is still a bad idea when writing. you want a character that is not too overpowered for the setting and not too underpowered for the setting. for example, a Navy Seal or other special forces soldier is too overpowered in a Zombie Apocalypse Story. but a geeky accountant who sits on a screen all day might be a Mary Sue in the reverse direction. the best balance would likely be the doctor or the scavenger who has a useful niche but won't overpower the story.

a highly incompetent and unskilled loser is an Anti Sue, which is a Mary Sue applied in reverse. which is still a bad idea when writing. you want a character that is not too overpowered for the setting and not too underpowered for the setting. for example, a Navy Seal or other special forces soldier is too overpowered in a Zombie Apocalypse Story. but a geeky accountant who sits on a screen all day might be a Mary Sue in the reverse direction. the best balance would likely be the doctor or the scavenger who has a useful niche but won't overpower the story.
I've never heard of the term Anti Sue before. I don't think my characters necessarily fit that description, though. They still make sense to exist within the context of the story, they're active in every way that they can be, albeit with their limited skillset - plus they have redeeming qualities to balance out their drawbacks. They're just not going to shoot lasers from their fingers, or sprout wings to fly themselves to safety.

GOD YES mostly some emo girl face claim w/ mostly good traits or bad traits that can seem pretty neutral???? and are never really protrayed if they are bad?????

I've never heard of the term Anti Sue before. I don't think my characters necessarily fit that description, though. They still make sense to exist within the context of the story, they're active in every way that they can be, albeit with their limited skillset - plus they have redeeming qualities to balance out their drawbacks. They're just not going to shoot lasers from their fingers, or sprout wings to fly themselves to safety.

as a Mary Sue is so overpowered it draws the attention of the plot around them, the Anti Sue is so underpowered that the plot gravitates around thier incompetence relative to everyone else in a way similar to the Mary Sue being overpowered enough relative to everyone else. Anti Sues are a type of Mary Sue but they started as a way around Mary Sues. but whether a character's strengths and weaknesses are reasonable varies both with the setting and story as well as the other important characters in the main group.

as a Mary Sue is so overpowered it draws the attention of the plot around them, the Anti Sue is so underpowered that the plot gravitates around thier incompetence relative to everyone else in a way similar to the Mary Sue being overpowered enough relative to everyone else. Anti Sues are a type of Mary Sue but they started as a way around Mary Sues. but whether a character's strengths and weaknesses are reasonable varies both with the setting and story as well as the other important characters in the main group.

Sounds a bit like the main plot of most of the so called slice-of-life 'harem' animes that have been coming out lately... Extremely incompitent and useless dude who's only redeeming quality is the flagship girl suddenly likes him causes all other girls to fight over who gets with him? Yeah no... romance/love doesn't work that way.

Hullo,

I just wanted to deke in and clear up one thing: NPC means non-player character. Technically any character the GM/DM plays is an NPC, even party members, because the GM/DM isn't technically a "player."

Anyway,
Bai!

Perhaps in your experience. But I was taught the Non Playable definition for forum Roleplays. As the GM is very much a player in their world in those games.

Literally there is no difference in the IC between the GM and the rest of the players. The differences are in the OOC aspects where obviously the GM has to accept characters, monitor for drama, and just in general keep things organized.

But yeah they create characters, submit character sheets, and plot those characters relationships the same as any other player.

Which is why the NPC is the non playable character. They exist as a way for the GM to nudge along the plot without having to utilize their actual playable characters.

Your experience might be different and that’s cool. But I didn’t make a typo I meant what I said.

Perhaps in your experience. But I was taught the Non Playable definition for forum Roleplays. As the GM is very much a player in their world in those games.

Literally there is no difference in the IC between the GM and the rest of the players. The differences are in the OOC aspects where obviously the GM has to accept characters, monitor for drama, and just in general keep things organized.

But yeah they create characters, submit character sheets, and plot those characters relationships the same as any other player.

Which is why the NPC is the non playable character. They exist as a way for the GM to nudge along the plot without having to utilize their actual playable characters.

Your experience might be different and that’s cool. But I didn’t make a typo I meant what I said.

Non-player character - Wikipedia

Redirect Notice

What does NPC mean? - NPC Definition - Meaning of NPC - InternetSlang.com

Think what you will.

Honey that’s like saying literate means to read and write.

That does not prevent it from also meaning a roleplay with a minimum of three paragraphs, lots of world building, and character sheets.

It is a matter of experience.

I was taught that literate means a roleplay with three plus paragraphs, PC means a playable character, and NPC means non playable characters. A character profile is a synonym for character sheets.

Roleplay is not a singular experience. The meaning of words are what you learn through experience.

In my experience a NPC is a non playable character.

Perhaps rather than being passive aggressive and assuming that my experience is wrong you could accept that there are different meanings of words in different contexts

Honey that’s like saying literate means to read and write.

That does not prevent it from also meaning a roleplay with a minimum of three paragraphs, lots of world building, and character sheets.

It is a matter of experience.

I was taught that literate means a roleplay with three plus paragraphs, PC means a playable character, and NPC means non playable characters. A character profile is a synonym for character sheets.

Roleplay is not a singular experience. The meaning of words are what you learn through experience.

In my experience a NPC is a non playable character.

Perhaps rather than being passive aggressive and assuming that my experience is wrong you could accept that there are different meanings of words in different contexts
Are you guys still fucking arguing? Just stop already.

Are you guys still fucking arguing? Just stop already.

I wasn't arguing and we aren't talking about the same topic in any case. They said that their definition of NPC was non-player character. I informed them that I was taught it was non-playable character and why. They responded by sending me links. I responded by saying that a words definition changes based on how you learn it. Especially for something like NPC or even Mary Sue.

I am not the one arguing. And I don't appreciate being called out. I was merely defending myself when they called ME out.

So if you want to stop the arguments you might see fit to address your comments to the people that are actually starting the arguments not the people who are only clarifying their stance.

I wasn't arguing and we aren't talking about the same topic in any case. They said that their definition of NPC was non-player character. I informed them that I was taught it was non-playable character and why. They responded by sending me links. I responded by saying that a words definition changes based on how you learn it. Especially for something like NPC or even Mary Sue.

I am not the one arguing. And I don't appreciate being called out. I was merely defending myself when they called ME out.

So if you want to stop the arguments you might see fit to address your comments to the people that are actually starting the arguments not the people who are only clarifying their stance.
Maybe you should actually not waste your time defending yourself if you know you're right. It's a waste of your time, mine's, and theirs.

And do you even know what arguing even means? What you two are doing now is clearly arguing.
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 4.50.44 PM.png

Maybe you should actually not waste your time defending yourself if you know you're right. It's a waste of your time, mine, and theirs.

Um this isn't a matter of right or wrong and that was my exact point?

It's like defining mary sue.

You can say that Mary Sue is a female character that every male character in the roleplay falls instantly in love with.

I can say that Mary Sue is a character who acts like the world revolves around them and treats other people live their slaves.

Neither of us are wrong.

A Mary Sue is how you define it.

That is the exact point I was making.

If you don't like people discussing things than you can maybe not make a discussion thread?

Um this isn't a matter of right or wrong and that was my exact point?

It's like defining mary sue.

You can say that Mary Sue is a female character that every male character in the roleplay falls instantly in love with.

I can say that Mary Sue is a character who acts like the world revolves around them and treats other people live their slaves.

Neither of us are wrong.

A Mary Sue is how you define it.

That is the exact point I was making.
Yes, but you don't need to lash out on others' opinions on what their definition of Mary Sues are.

Yes, but you don't need to lash out on others' opinions on what their definition of Mary Sues are.

I DID NOT DO THIS.

OMG

I said - Your definition of Mary Sue is X
My definition of Mary Sue is Y.
Neither of us are wrong.

THEY ARE THE ONES THAT SAID THERE IS ONLY ONE DEFINITION OF MARY SUE.

I used to roleplay on Wattpad, which had a pretty strong scene if you knew where to look, and for about six months, you saw a lot of Mary Sues running around, but it was everyone, because we were all figuring out what the boundaries were and how far we could push them. For about a year, everything was pretty chill, with no overpowered characters running around, and then there was a surge of new people, which wasn't necessarily bad, but they just had some weird ideas which were Mary Sue all over.

One guy had a character who was supposed to be a god, with the ability to create matter out of nothing, and a sword that could create black holes. What annoyed me more than anything was that people loved him, even though was was A) a bit of a prat in person B) overpowered C) illiterate. There were a handful of characters, mine included, which you could say were OP, but they had drawbacks. This guy just went ham with his character, it was really dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back