Other Mary Sues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmi

Jumin's Bae
Have any of you come across a mary sue that really pisses you off? So um... yeah.

My best friend and I usually role play a lot. That's how I got into this site. So, first of all, we both share an interest in Percy Jackson. That's what we role play in. However, some of her character's traits and such threw me off.

Her character is the daughter of Hades, and she's a demigod. Cool, right? I have nothing against that. However, Percy Jackson fans, you know how demigods must kill monsters and such because monsters chase them. Right? Well, her "power" is to control these monsters. She literally controls them, and the monsters idolize her. It is a cool power, but this power makes everyone at camp love her and such. Probably even think she's creepy.

Her character has a very tragic backstory for no reason. She has scars that bleed at random times for no reason. Scars heal. How the fuck does her scars not heal? They bleed at random points...

misc-jackie-chan-l.jpg

She has unusual eyes that don't make sense. Fucking red eyes. Are you kidding? This isn't anime.

She literally one ups my characters. My character is a thief. Like.. a legit thief and criminal. Daughter of Hermes. So, she stole something from a camper, and her character suddenly knew what my character did even though her back was facing them.. and literally turned around and stole it back. That doesn't make sense at all. Her character never had any experience in stealing. Especially growing eyes at the back of her head.

She also apparently knows everything just because of planning and discussing character backstories. I told my friend that my character, Alexa, is the mayor's daughter, and some weird shit happened, and Alexa was switched at birth, because my friend was practically dying to know. Her character suddenly knew about her and such. That just.. what?

And this isn't her only mary sue. She has many mary sues that piss me off.

So... anyone else came across a character that was a mary sue.. and you simply hated it? This thread is basically a stress thread. Relieve your role playing character stress on here. I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's stories.

I used to make Mary Sues when I was younger and newer to rp. I had one oc thats power was to be able to copy the abilities and such of other peoples or fictional characters. But than i realized that was a lot she could do. And eventrallly scrapped that idea for her. The next set i gave her was a form change abilities that came in levels she could evolve the more she grew up and so on.

But I have only encountered one Gary Stue in this case.

So before i can to RPN i was on MSPARP, a site created for people who belonged to the Homestuck fandom. I always hosted Fandomstuck RPs. (Personify a Fandom and play as them.) and one of my friends always played Homestuck but always made him very over-powered and perfect. It got really annoying when he got into fights because he legit would dodge everything you did, and was apparently super fast and could teleport. He always knew what people were thinking and it was just annoying because he would legit pick random fights and then always win even though the character is 13 and 4'11. And still, beat the 600+ yr old 6'3" Vampire called Jojo's Bizare Adventure Fandom. Or when he's fighting the Android that was DanganRonpa. It was really frustrating, and then we'd tell her what she was doing and she said she would fix it and never did.

I discussed this before on a different thread so I'll sum this up quickly.

So, on another site that I don't remember much of beyond a few simple RPs that lasted a short while, then a couple of really long running RPs that was the main draw for people to said site. I mean literally. The sites own admins catered to these three RPs like crazy. Think like the hosted projects here, but the site is based for them.
Now long story short, I was in one of those long running RPs, and was good friends with the person who started it/managed it. They trusted me enough to manage the RP for them when they couldn't get on for long periods of time. A couple of the people in the RP (I think it was 4 out of like 40~50 people) constantly had the idea that during these moments they'd be allowed to turn their characters into Gary Stus and Mary Sues. Eventually, it got so bad that they even did it while the creator of the RP was there. This caused them to permanently leave the RP in my hands, and slowly killed the RP, as those same people took over the RP turning it into a constant one-up man show. (Or ridiculous levels.)

Does a GM pet NPC count? Player Mary Sues are distatesful, but in my experience GM pet NPCs are unbearable.

They most certainly do count! And, they really are painful.

Depends on the intent of the pet NPC. If it doesn't impeach the other people's ability to enjoy the RP, then I'd let it slide. If it does... then it's another story.

Depends on the intent of the pet NPC. If it doesn't impeach the other people's ability to enjoy the RP, then I'd let it slide. If it does... then it's another story.
The intent of a pet NPC is always the same, to show up the player-characters. It's a pathetic outlet for pathetic GMs.

The intent of a pet NPC is always the same, to show up the player-characters. It's a pathetic outlet for pathetic GMs.

You must either have a narrow-minded view of things, or have only had terrible experiences.
The intent isn't always to show up the player-characters. Granted, it fully depends on the situation the RP is in at the moment, but sometimes they can be used to push the plot along, or to introduce a new concept of mechanic into the RP. If done correctly, this can be said of any 'over powered' character. It's when it'd NOT done correctly, that these characters become Mary Sues and Gary Stus.

You must either have a narrow-minded view of things, or have only had terrible experiences.
The intent isn't always to show up the player-characters. Granted, it fully depends on the situation the RP is in at the moment, but sometimes they can be used to push the plot along, or to introduce a new concept of mechanic into the RP. If done correctly, this can be said of any 'over powered' character. It's when it'd NOT done correctly, that these characters become Mary Sues and Gary Stus.
No, if the Pet NPC wasn't introduced to toy/ show up the party, then they're simply an NPC. It's just like if you take the negative qualities of a Mary Sue away, they're no longer a Mary Sue, they're just a character.

No, if the Pet NPC wasn't introduced to toy/ show up the party, then they're simply an NPC. It's just like if you take the negative qualities of a Mary Sue away, they're no longer a Mary Sue, they're just a character.

So you're saying an NPC is only a 'Pet' NPC if they were introduced to take enjoyment away from the players? Again, narrow-mindedness shows in your posts. As I understand the term, a Pet NPC is simply a character that the DM put a lot of thought into creating. Does that automatically mean they're simply there to show up the party? No it doesn't.

Giving something that's generally neutral a negative connotation is why people nowadays 'understand' the word gay to be a derogatory term for a man who is homosexual. Now, I'm not saying your definition of a "pet" NPC is incorrect, it's mostly a subjective opinion, as there isn't really a set definition for many things in RP culture. I do believe how ever is that putting a negative connotation to a word/phrase that you don't like is disgraceful.

So you're saying an NPC is only a 'Pet' NPC if they were introduced to take enjoyment away from the players? Again, narrow-mindedness shows in your posts. As I understand the term, a Pet NPC is simply a character that the DM put a lot of thought into creating.
Narrow-mindnesses, huh? What an antagonistic thing to say. Lucky for you I don't mind being antagonized. Here's a question for you, is a Mary Sue simply a character that a player/writer puts a lot of thought into?

Does a GM pet NPC count? Player Mary Sues are distatesful, but in my experience GM pet NPCs are unbearable.

I would be interested on elaboration of the term Pet NPC. I am not familiar with NPCs that really effect the character play but then I don’t do groups. So I’d be interested in an example or maybe a more in-depth explanation of how they differ to just a regular Mary Sue.

Narrow-mindnesses, huh? What an antagonistic thing to say. Lucky for you I don't mind being antagonized. Here's a question for you, is a Mary Sue simply a character that a player/writer puts a lot of thought into?

As far as I understand the term. No, it's not. As a well thought out character, even if they're "Over Powered" won't be a mary sue simply because despite their over poweredness, the single most important part of a mary sue is missing. That is, the terrible writing causing them to be the metaphorical center of that universe, with everything and everyone being 'for them' It's that distinction that separates a well thought out over powered character, and a mary sue.

And it doesn't matter that I'm lucky you don't mind being antagonized. You're being narrow-minded, it's that simple. I'm not going to censor myself just because someone might be offened by my thoughts.

And it doesn't matter that I'm lucky you don't mind being antagonized. You're being narrow-minded, it's that simple. I'm not going to censor myself just because someone might be offened by my thoughts.
It's not that simple. Words have meanings and your definition of pet NPC is comical. A well thought out NPC = a pet NPC... No, not even close. It does have a negative connotation just like Mary Sue has one. I'm sorry to break the news to you.

And I'm not offended by your thoughts. It takes quite an effort to offend me.

ZeiruliousMakavar ZeiruliousMakavar btw, if you believe the term pet NPC is subjective, then what's your hang up with how I'm using it? Square that circle for me.

Last edited:
It's not that simple. Words have meanings and your definition of pet NPC is comical. A well thought out NPC = a pet NPC... No, not even close. It does have a negative connotation just like Mary Sue has one. I'm sorry to break the news to you.

And I'm not offended by your thoughts. It takes quite an effort to offend me.

ZeiruliousMakavar ZeiruliousMakavar btw, if you believe the term pet NPC is subjective, then what's your hang up with how I'm using it? Square that circle for me.
Just going to throw my hat into the ring here,
What is your definition of a "pet NPC"?
Is this simply the same thing as a GMPC or is it something different?
What decides that difference?

Also, consider this scenario; The GM decides to add an NPC to the party that fills a certain role the party was missing (i.e. a skillmonkey to pick locks and disable traps when asked), besides doing their job, and offering little tidbits of lore to the players, they don't do much of anything, and they play by the same rules as the players.
The NPC was clearly well thought-out, having an in-depth backstory, characterization and future goals.
Is this considered a pet NPC for you?

Also, consider this scenario; The GM decides to add an NPC to the party that fills a certain role the party was missing (i.e. a skillmonkey to pick locks and disable traps when asked), besides doing their job, and offering little tidbits of lore to the players, they don't do much of anything, and they play by the same rules as the players.
The NPC was clearly well thought-out, having an in-depth backstory, characterization and future goals.
Is this considered a pet NPC for you?
Not at all. I won't get into the differences between an NPC and GMPC because I don't suspect I need to. As far as a pet NPC is concerned, it's similar to a Mary Sue - they're both wish fulfillment. The key difference being the Mary Sue usually (if not always?) attempts to be the story's primary character, while the pet NPC merely pops up from time to time to show off/upstage the player characters. It becomes all too clear that the GM loves their amazing/beyond the players pet and they really, really love reminding the players just how amazing they are. If you're a group roleplayer with enough experience under your belt you've no doubt run into this this breed of NPC.

Not at all. I won't get into the differences between an NPC and GMPC because I don't suspect I need to. As far as a pet NPC is concerned, it's similar to a Mary Sue - they're both wish fulfillment. The key difference being the Mary Sue usually (if not always?) attempts to be the story's primary character, while the pet NPC merely pops up from time to time to show off/upstage the player characters. It becomes all too clear that the GM loves their amazing/beyond the players pet and they really, really love reminding the players just how amazing they are. If you're a group roleplayer with enough experience under your belt you've no doubt run into this this breed of NPC.
And therein lies the problem with your previous posts.
You're claiming that a pet NPC exists solely to fulfill the GM's wishes and solely to upstage the players, when they could serve other purposes and do other things besides that.

Before you ask me what my opinion would be on the matter, in these types of situations I'll ask myself "How would the GM react if the party decided to try to kill this character?"
If there's no combat involved and they just one-shot the party/the gods themselves strike down the players for trying, absolutely a pet NPC.
If there is actual combat, but the GMPC is a quite a bit stronger than the party, than they're probably not a pet NPC, because the party still has a chance to kill them.
And if the NPC is about as strong as the party, and can be killed like any other enemy, they're not likely to be a pet NPC.

There are several other factors to take into context, but that baseline has served me well enough in the past.

King Crimson King Crimson I couldn't make sense of your reply. Please give it another try, I'd like to understand what the problem is.

Reread this post that you made

You're claiming that pet NPC's have only one reason for existing and only do one thing.
Other people told you that you're being too narrow-minded.

I, and other people that responded to you were trying to explain that there are a lot more factors to consider before you can label something with your definition of a "pet NPC"

You're claiming that pet NPC's have only one reason for existing and only do one thing.
Ah, I see your error. You think a single reason for existing = only capable of doing one thing. They can do lots of things, but because they're a pet, whatever they do is almost always obnoxious.

Ah, I see your error. You think a single reason for existing = only capable of doing one thing. They can do lots of things, but because they're a pet, whatever they do is almost always obnoxious.
You have it backwards.
You're the one who seems to believe that single reason for existing (satisfying GM wishes) = only capable of doing one thing (being obnoxious).

Now you're equating constantly being obnoxious as only capable of doing one thing. It won't end well from that position.

Now you're equating constantly being obnoxious as only capable of doing one thing. It won't end well from that position.
You literally just said, and I quote;
whatever they do is almost always obnoxious.
You are saying that they can only be obnoxious.
Other people are telling you that that is a logical fallacy.
They are correct.
You're equating "NPC that GM cares a lot about" to "annoying", when they aren't necessarily the same thing.

So to make sure I have this right. You are merely talking about a character that the GM makes solely to be the center of attention / prove how much better they(the GM) are than the players?

Is this in a scenario when the GM has no playable character and only plays this pet? Or is this in a scenario where the GM has a playable character and also makes this pet character?

Because I was given to understand that NPCs are non-playable characters that serve a plot function or to flesh out the world so there aren't like (x) number of people that existing in the roleplay world.

What your describing just seems like a Mary Sue created by the GM.

It might not be something they play all the time but I'm not really seeing the difference between this pet character and the GM just flat out making a Mary Sue character that they play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back