• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Magical Girl Raising Project Group RP

Idea Idea tbh I just had such high expectations since I was such a huge fan of the LN. For me it didn't have the buildup that Puella Magi Madoka Magica did once it took a turn for the worst. It all seemed too fast paced for my liking (as a general problem with some animes). But this is merely because I consider myself a critque and combining that with my high expectations it just left me with a sour taste. I'll probably re-watch it sometime since I acknowledge I'm being too harsh on it....but yeah my expectations were just high, okay? x.x

Idea Idea tbh I just had such high expectations since I was such a huge fan of the LN. For me it didn't have the buildup that Puella Magi Madoka Magica did once it took a turn for the worst. It all seemed too fast paced for my liking (as a general problem with some animes). But this is merely because I consider myself a critque and combining that with my high expectations it just left me with a sour taste. I'll probably re-watch it sometime since I acknowledge I'm being too harsh on it....but yeah my expectations were just high, okay? x.x
I also had high expectations, and admitedly I didn't read the light novels, but I think my expectations were pretty much met, in terms of how good it was. I'd argue the pacing was quite right, jumping at the beats of the story and while being a strong stand-alone, the anime is even stronger by toying with your expectations if you are not immediately dismissing it for not being Madoka. But to each their own, I suppose.

I actually find it strange that people complain both calling this a Madoka clone and then complain that it wasn't enough like it...

Maybe one of these days I'll write something about it, explaining my viewpoint.

Mhm, when you do then @ me fam. Looks like I'm in for a re-watch soon then. Probably gonna invite some friends over while I do it. Watching it with others and sharing opinions always is fun.

Mhm, when you do then @ me fam. Looks like I'm in for a re-watch soon then. Probably gonna invite some friends over while I do it. Watching it with others and sharing opinions always is fun.
sure thing bud :)

Maybe I'll get to it when college calms down a little

Oh yeah! Bacon has a good point since in the LN the magical girl have stats. Are they going to be included in this, the parameters for magical girls? You know, Physical Ability, Communication, Magic Rarity, Magic Experience, Mental Strength, and a sorta joke stat (like Softheartedness). I meant to ask this earlier but it slipped my mind. HiNoChi HiNoChi

Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy Boogie Boogie
Short answer: It's up in the air.
I wanted to use the dice system, I'm still formulating how it would work. I'd love some suggestions. I was thinking of having character stats that influence your dice range, or things like that (exact,l;y as you said Boogie). I'm experimenting with this and seeing what will work for us.
For now, my general idea is for dice is that each magical girl has a number if the opponent rolls once to see if they hit, and another to see how much damage they do. Maybe even an option for running away, blocking, dodging, and certain stats that add to your chances! I'll need to change some stats from the source material, and even add some but I appreciate all your questions!

I wanted to use the dice system, I'm still formulating how it would work. I'd love some suggestions. I was thinking of having character stats that influence your dice range, or things like that (exact,l;y as you said Boogie). I'm experimenting with this and seeing what will work for us.
For now, my general idea is for dice is that each magical girl has a number if the opponent rolls once to see if they hit, and another to see how much damage they do. Maybe even an option for running away, blocking, dodging, and certain stats that add to your chances! I'll need to change some stats from the source material, and even add some but I appreciate all your questions!
Well, what if you're not the hitter type or you catch someone by surprise? I understand the usage of dice since stats are a thing, but I think it should be a bit more nuanced and that whatever system is used should account for the fact someone's magic or words might not be a hit/not hit type thing.

The basic template I've always used is based on fate core. You choose a dice(6 side, 10,100) and give a certain chance to hit, critically hit and fail miserably.
D6-
1-3 = fail
4-5 = success
6 = special condition

That's always the template I work with, when starting out. You'd probably need different conditions for different things. Like if a magical girl wanted to take control of another through mind control or poison someone. You'd need a different dice set or a specific condition like only x is a successful status effect.

But what you want to do is different. I've sort of strayed away from stat systems, but I feel like they give more depth and personalization to the player. So one person can prioritize the amount of attacks per turn while another can focus on hitting harder with one per turn.

Overall I'm just asking and wouldn't mind helping you test this stuff in a thread or pms. But it really is what my interest hangs on. I don't much like rps without combat systems. And dice are a great way to mix things up with a little rng.

:)

HiNoChi HiNoChi Perhaps we use a dice for different things? Communication can be a person's charisma. How well they can inspire, get others aboard with their plans, and even make alliances (in the case that a character is still iffy-iffy on whether they want to be allies with someone). Physical Ability would influence damage and hit rate. Magic Rarity.....perhaps this stat could be more so given by the admin? Like the admin gives a ranking on the magic a character has or a person rolls for Magic Rarity and how high or low their roll is depends on the limits/strengths of their magic. Ex. Level 2- Top Speed's speed since it was only limited by a broom. Level 5- Lava Magic, Precognition, insert other cool/strong magics here. Magic Experience: How specific they can get with their magic and how much damage their magic does. Ex. making constructs out of lava with magic and hardening said constructs vs just throwing balls of lava. Mental Strength: If someone has a magic that affects their mentality this can be a stat that affects the roll and it helps resist trauma (since you know there will be LOTS of trauma rolls in this). Joke stat is a joke stat as said before. Pick and choose or just don't use these things at all! These are really only suggestions.

Edit: The stats will be used to influence your rolls. Like Level 5 Physical Strength adds 2 or 3 (or straight up 5) to your damage roll in case this was not clear.

Well, what if you're not the hitter type or you catch someone by surprise? I understand the usage of dice since stats are a thing, but I think it should be a bit more nuanced and that whatever system is used should account for the fact someone's magic or words might not be a hit/not hit type thing.
Sorry I'm on my phone. But dice open up possibilities like mind control, stunning, and defensive tank style of combat. And it's all fair and based on the luck of the roll. So if someone literally want to use mind rape and the other player doesn't consent, under normal circumstances, the player with mind control doesn't get to have fun.

But with dice, both players consent to the outcome when they begin the rolling process

Sorry I'm on my phone. But dice open up possibilities like mind control, stunning, and defensive tank style of combat. And it's all fair and based on the luck of the roll. So if someone literally want to use mind rape and the other player doesn't consent, under normal circumstances, the player with mind control doesn't get to have fun.

But with dice, both players consent to the outcome when they begin the rolling process
Yes, yes, but those are still "hit" type abilities by my book. You're doing something to attack someone proactively. But should you need a dice roll to used an ability that is triggered by something else or which is conditional? And how about abilities that don't even o anything to anyone, they just like produce an item or something? I think it'd be nonsensical to have dice rolls for that.

That is also true Idea Idea , and constant rolling would detract from the main role play. I mean personally, I was thinking for each action you take offensively for a character you don't own, you do a roll and see if it happens. But it'll bring in the issue of characters taking a hit for another, another girl trying to defend or beat their attack.
Maybe a blend of both rolling, and OOC talk would help. Like I said I am in the experimental phase, nothing is set in stone.
Also maybe certain abilities will need dice rolls and certain ones don't, such as La Pucelle's won't but other's will. I'm not saying everything will have dice in it, for now, I'm thinking mainly combat oriented things should have a system in place for easier results for hits. Other things as you said won't need dice rolls, but whether your magical ability, item etc will affect another character will need them. I guess the "Hit" abilities you said will really be the only thing with dice, as that's what I first thought of.

But thank you, Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy ! I appreciate the help, especially with something like this.

Boogie Boogie I think emotions should be determined by the person playing their character, as dice don't know your character better than yourself. But thank you for the suggestions, they're very helpful, I'll put them into consideration!

That is also true Idea Idea , and constant rolling would detract from the main role play. I mean personally, I was thinking for each action you take offensively for a character you don't own, you do a roll and see if it happens. But it'll bring in the issue of characters taking a hit for another, another girl trying to defend or beat their attack.
Maybe a blend of both rolling, and OOC talk would help. Like I said I am in the experimental phase, nothing is set in stone.
Also maybe certain abilities will need dice rolls and certain ones don't, such as La Pucelle's won't but other's will. I'm not saying everything will have dice in it, for now, I'm thinking mainly combat oriented things should have a system in place for easier results for hits. Other things as you said won't need dice rolls, but whether your magical ability, item etc will affect another character will need them. I guess the "Hit" abilities you said will really be the only thing with dice, as that's what I first thought of.

But thank you, Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy ! I appreciate the help, especially with something like this.

Boogie Boogie I think emotions should be determined by the person playing their character, as dice don't know your character better than yourself. But thank you for the suggestions, they're very helpful, I'll put them into consideration!
alright. Just to be safe, maybe I can PM you the magic I am planning to use?

Yes, yes, but those are still "hit" type abilities by my book. You're doing something to attack someone proactively. But should you need a dice roll to used an ability that is triggered by something else or which is conditional? And how about abilities that don't even o anything to anyone, they just like produce an item or something? I think it'd be nonsensical to have dice rolls for that.
Obviously not everything needs to be dictated by dice, as it's more of a method for settling conflict and nothing else. Although I think we'd differ on opinions for certain things. What I don't get is, if my example which is non tangible, is still considered a hit.

What exactly are you talking about? Can you give me a concrete example of what a non hit move is? Are you talking about buffs and debuffs?

Obviously not everything needs to be dictated by dice, as it's more of a method for settling conflict and nothing else. Although I think we'd differ on opinions for certain things. What I don't get is, if my example which is non tangible, is still considered a hit.

What exactly are you talking about? Can you give me a concrete example of what a non hit move is? Are you talking about buffs and debuffs?
Yeah, buffs and debuffs could be a thing. Many of the abilities in the anime would also qualify as non-hits, like spawning weapons, hearing thoughts of people in danger, etc...

Then there are triggered abilities, like "if X happens, Y happens": So long as the condition is met, the result not being met would be a contradiction so dice makes no sense there. Conditional abilities are the same, though it's more of a matter of fairness with those since they are not automatic.

Yeah, buffs and debuffs could be a thing. Many of the abilities in the anime would also qualify as non-hits, like spawning weapons, hearing thoughts of people in danger, etc...

Then there are triggered abilities, like "if X happens, Y happens": So long as the condition is met, the result not being met would be a contradiction so dice makes no sense there. Conditional abilities are the same, though it's more of a matter of fairness with those since they are not automatic.
I see, so you're more focused on the utility side of things and the pve aspect of the spectrum. I don't remember the specific terminology in fate core, but generally anything extraordinary out of combat, such as hearing the thoughts of others, would be considered a skill. It'd be something you'd assign a mastery to and be a cornerstone of your own character's utility outside of combat.

For instance: persuasion. If a player has a skill for persuasion and they've encountered an angry Indian chief. A player with high persuasion might be able to believably break the language barrier and someone convince the chieftain to backdown. Through body language and wit(written by the character). And this could either be a given, yes he can do it . Or it could be a dice roll moment in which the player needs a certain outcome to decide if he succeeded or if the gm needs to write a scenario for if he failed.

So in the case of your hearing other people's thoughts, it'd really depend on the system being used. I'd probably chalk that up to being a power that automatically works, as it's used for story purposes and not direct combat.

But in direct conflict, let's say you're trying to save your bud trapped in a burning building. The gm could make a specific scenario in which you only find him if you're able to roll a high enough dice roll to find him amongst the panic, visual and auditory distractions and other faked pleas for help for the custom scenario.

Non combat powers are super important for dice rp. Because while a gm *can* challenge everything you do wth a roll. A gm can also include hunger, sleep and other biological functions lol. I personally value non combat abilities more than combat, because when someone has the ability to fly and mister kirito just got done killing a raid boss in a collapsing cavern, guess who is the one with the upper hand in this scenario? :3

As for other non combat powers, like healing. I personally would put a condition only on life saving procedures. Give your combat medic a chance to fail and fall into despair as their husbando or Waifu rp partner dies right before their eyes.

Dice to me, break up old rp problems. When everyone is the protagonist, it's hard to get people to fail. But dice give that rng element that makes a failure feel more natural, but it isn't a be all end all element of an rp. Just something to compliment the social, political, and non combat aspects of the rp.

I see, so you're more focused on the utility side of things and the pve aspect of the spectrum. I don't remember the specific terminology in fate core, but generally anything extraordinary out of combat, such as hearing the thoughts of others, would be considered a skill. It'd be something you'd assign a mastery to and be a cornerstone of your own character's utility outside of combat.

For instance: persuasion. If a player has a skill for persuasion and they've encountered an angry Indian chief. A player with high persuasion might be able to believably break the language barrier and someone convince the chieftain to backdown. Through body language and wit(written by the character). And this could either be a given, yes he can do it . Or it could be a dice roll moment in which the player needs a certain outcome to decide if he succeeded or if the gm needs to write a scenario for if he failed.

So in the case of your hearing other people's thoughts, it'd really depend on the system being used. I'd probably chalk that up to being a power that automatically works, as it's used for story purposes and not direct combat.

But in direct conflict, let's say you're trying to save your bud trapped in a burning building. The gm could make a specific scenario in which you only find him if you're able to roll a high enough dice roll to find him amongst the panic, visual and auditory distractions and other faked pleas for help for the custom scenario.

Non combat powers are super important for dice rp. Because while a gm *can* challenge everything you do wth a roll. A gm can also include hunger, sleep and other biological functions lol. I personally value non combat abilities more than combat, because when someone has the ability to fly and mister kirito just got done killing a raid boss in a collapsing cavern, guess who is the one with the upper hand in this scenario? :3

As for other non comeat powers, like healing. I personally would put a condition only on life saving procedures. Give your combat medic a chance to fail and fall into despair as their husbando or Waifu rp partner dies right before their eyes.

Dice to me, break up old rp problems. When everyone is the protagonist, it's hard to get people to fail. But dice give that rng element that makes a failure feel more natural, but it isn't a be all end all element of an rp. Just something to compliment the social, political, and non combat aspects of the rp.
While I understand your concept, it feels very clunky to me. I'll have to explain myself another time though, as I need to wake up really early for college

While I understand your concept, it feels very clunky to me. I'll have to explain myself another time though, as I need to wake up really early for college
It's just different. The first time I tried rping with dice or the first time I read a 100 page rule book... it felt awkward as hell.

But this is just my preferred method of rp ATM. Trying to experiment with dice since it's an option.

Night dude :p

Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy Woah! Thank you so much for your insight. Well, for me I was thinking the dice system would be for only combat, but you raise a great point with persuasion. Personally, I feel that your character will react to it based on if they're a skeptic or gullible, and just be acted out in role play. But maybe for important plot details, we'll roll.
But I do like the idea of failure based on dice in an intense situation like the burning building, maybe certain powers will allow you to not need to roll and save them like Snow White's being to hear the thoughts of troubled people. But it does add another layer, maybe I'll make it whether they save them from falling debris or not. The healing aspect is also very interesting based on chance.

Idea Idea Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy Boogie Boogie animegirl20 animegirl20 @Lyrial Archtoddler Archtoddler Necromantic Necromantic
What do you guys think if I made a discord server for this and added a bot that has dice rolls, so it'll be quick to reach all of us? Either way, I definitely have a lot of things to consider now.

Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy Woah! Thank you so much for your insight. Well, for me I was thinking the dice system would be for only combat, but you raise a great point with persuasion. Personally, I feel that your character will react to it based on if they're a skeptic or gullible, and just be acted out in role play. But maybe for important plot details, we'll roll.
But I do like the idea of failure based on dice in an intense situation like the burning building, maybe certain powers will allow you to not need to roll and save them like Snow White's being to hear the thoughts of troubled people. But it does add another layer, maybe I'll make it whether they save them from falling debris or not. The healing aspect is also very interesting based on chance.

Idea Idea Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy Boogie Boogie animegirl20 animegirl20 @Lyrial Archtoddler Archtoddler Necromantic Necromantic
What do you guys think if I made a discord server for this and added a bot that has dice rolls, so it'll be quick to reach all of us? Either way, I definitely have a lot of things to consider now.
Ultimately most of my suggestions also depend heavily on the gm taking the extra time to make rules both for general purposes such as combat, and for deciding when to actually implement chance for failure outside of combat. It puts a lot of responsibility on you to weave through the general rules, distinction of powers, and exceptions to the rule. But I believe that even dice just for combat is perfectly fine. It's about the only thing I like using it for.

Sure just send me a pm with the invite code or tag me here if you like. I'm not big on discord,but don't mind using it when I have a specific purpose in mind.

I don't use discord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back