• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Magical Bickerings

Without a word, Abel lead them into the garden. It was large, surrounded by a thick and high stone wall. There were dozens of bare bushes and empty flower beds, all waiting for spring. Towards the back of the garden, a large greenhouse sat nestled between two trees. Abel started off down the path towards it.

However, he paused next to a rose bush, carefully picking a branch off. The young king glanced at Liethe, giving him the tinest smile as his eyes began to glow a very faint shade of gold. In his hand, the branch grew leaves, and then the bud of a flower. The bud bloomed, a gorgeous yellow-gold color. Abel lifted it to his nose and inhaled, grinning as he extended it towards Liethe. "Yellow symbolizes friendship," He explained.

Both king and guard once again tensed, and Liethe again forced away the feeling to flee. Magic wasn't necessarily bad. Just...different, he reminded himself. He delicately took the offered flower with a smile of thanks. Nyel glared at him for touching a thing created by magic, and Liethe frowned back at him until the older man stood down. "It's very beautiful," Liethe told the other king once he was satisfied his guard wouldn't freak out and spill unnecessary blood.

Abel grinned, continuing towards the greenhouse. He swung the door open and hummed, the smell of flowers hitting him immediately. Pots of plants lined the ground, tables, shelves.. Some even hung from the ceiling. He smiled as he went in, grabbing a watering can from beside the door. It was notably warmer inside the greenhouse than outside, which Abel was thankful for- He still wasn't wearing a coat.

"These all grow on their own," He explained as he went from plant to plant, "Janette and I just regulate the temperature. I like flowers. Arum lilies are my favorite, but I've not been able to coax them into growing," He laused at an empty pot, staring at it with a glum expression.

"But anyways. If you'd like to go prepare for dinner.. I need to finish up here. We'll continue our tour afterwards. I'd love to show you the beach."

"Of course," Liethe said, giving the other king a nod. "I believe I shall go ready for dinner, if you don't mind. My men are likely anxious for my return, in any case." Liethe wished they wouldn't be, but it was still nice for them to worry about him, even if it were just to prevent war. While the men he had brought were also prejudiced, but less so. He knew for a fact that at least two of them had been related to magic users, and had brought them in the hopes they would be much less bad than his other people.

Magic was frightening, though. Even something as simple as a flower growing out of season. But they all needed to ignore the stories that had been spread through the people of both kingdoms. Stories were dangerous things, he knew.

Abel watched them leave, and then turned his attention back to his plants. Noel watched him from a distance, eyes narrowed.

"You're thinking something," The young king sat the watering can down and hurried to get inside, out of the cold air.

"I don't trust his knight," He shrugged and followed, "I'd like it if you wore your sword while they're here. I know how you feel about it but it would put me at ease."

"I will, then," He agreed, a sigh leaving his lips.

It wasn't long at all before the table had been set. Abel and Janette were the first to arrive. He was wearing his real crown at her request, and he wanted nothing more but to smash the ridiculous thing against the wall. He just smiled and took his seat, though, with her on his left. James should have been to his right, but he'd refused to eat in the same room as "those people."

King Liethe arrived not long after, discussing something with his personal guard. By the look on both of their faces, it wasn't exactly a pleasant conversation. Nyel went to say something, but Liethe silenced him with a sharp glare and quiet, though firm, words. Nyel nodded stiffly at his king, his lips thin in an equally stiff expression.

As they approached the table, Liethe put a pleasant smile on his face as Nyel followed a step behind, still not pleased, if his face were anything to go by. Nyel hadn't wanted Liethe to show up at the dinner, believing it to be a trap and that the food served was poisoned by some magical substance. This was one of the reasons why Liethe didn't much like his personal guard; the man still saw him as a child that had no idea what he was doing and would end up getting them all killed.

Abel put his best smile on, the argument between the knight and king not going unnoticed by him. He waved his hands at the seats. "You can sit anywhere you like. The rest should be arriving soon."

His sister glanced up from where she was putting her napkin in her lap, clearing her throat. "Don't drink the wine," She advised her brother. His face paled notably.

"I'm not that bad when I'm drunk. Why would you feel the need to mention-"

"Just stick to water," Janette hummed, but didn't say anything more to him as more of the court began filing in. She leaned across the table, however, flashing her teeth at Liethe. "So, your Highness," She paused for just a moment, "Tell us about your home, won't you? I've never been out of Roseal."

Liethe took a seat near the other royals, though Ryel wordlessly insisted to not sit. He stood behind his king at attention, eyes roaming the room for any threats constantly, frequently coming back to the people closet to Liethe, who he still considered his charge and not his king. Liethe knew that could provide problems, later, but hoped that it wouldn't show while they were in Roseal.

"Felios is very beautiful this time of year," the king told Janette civilly. "Frost covers everything not frequently cleaned. It constantly reminds of time standing still, waiting patiently for springtime. People tend to stay inside with a good book, instead of waiting with their surroundings. Though I can't blame them, much."

That much he knew of his people, at least. He had dealt with complaints of people not cleaning their houses of frost because they didn't want to go out into the cold unless necessary, and that it was hideous with the frozen water everywhere. Liethe didn't agree, though, and never did anything about those complaints expect sooth the complainer with calm words and send them on their way home.

"It sounds.. Lovely," She leaned back, eye fluttering towards the door that lead to the kitchen. It opened, and servants began to delve out the first course- Salads. There was wine and water, although most everyone at the table opted for water until the main course would be served.

Abel took the opportunity to introduce everyone, although he was very bored with the whole affair. Excluding the royals, fifteen noblemen and women were at the table. He waited until the servants had gone back onto the kitchen, lifting a fork loaded with lettuce to his mouth. "Well. Let's eat, then? I've been-"

"King Abel!" One of the knights burst in, face red, panting as he called out. "Don't eat that! No one touch the food!"

Everyone went extremely still. Abel carefully lowered his fork and glanced at Liethe, eyes wide in alarm.

"The taster just passed out," The knight explained, trying to calm his breathing seeing as he'd gotten there in time. "There's not-"

Janette stood abruptly, her chair falling back against the floor as she rushed from the room. The young king furrowed his brow in confusion, but he realized why. James had his meal brought to him over ten minutes ago. All the color drained from Abel's face.

Liethe paled at the knight's news of the food being poisoned, until he was yanked out of his chair, away from the food, by Nyel, as though being close to the food was lethal. "Nyel," Liethe hissed at him with disapproval when he was shoved behind the older man and the knight took a defensive stance, glaring at everyone he deemed too close. Neither of them knew of the reason that Janette rushed from the room for, and Nyel was obviously assuming the worst, immediately.

"I told you coming here was a bad idea," Nyel hissed back at his king.

Liethe scowled at his guard's back. "That is not your decision to make. We came here for peace, and the poisoning obviously wasn't ordered by King Abel. Stand down. Now." Reluctantly, Nyel did as he was told, allowing Liethe to come out from behind him just as reluctantly.

"I-I'd never poison you," Abel assured them, slowly standing up. His hands were shaking a bit, and he found himself wishing that someone else was in charge. "If I wanted to kill you, I'd have done it when you approached this morning. I would have had my archers take you and your men down before you even realized what had happened," He paused to allow it to sink in, slamming a palm against the table. "But I didn't! And I'm not going to. I want this war to end. I want to call my troops home. I wouldn't kill the only chance I had of achieving that."

Abel pushed his chair back, heading for the door. "King Liethe, if you will. Follow me. Everyone else.. Go back to your rooms. We'll have to gather again some other time."

It took everything in him not to run to his little brother. He barely managed to make himself wait for the other king, everything in his telling him to turn away and run.

When Liethe moved to follow Abel, Nyel reached out to put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him. The knight shook his head, but Liethe glared at him. "I am your king, not your charge, Nyel," he told him quietly, coldly. "Release me." With possibly more reluctance than before, Nyel did as told, clenching his teeth as his king walked after Abel, following quickly. He didn't trust anyone here. It was true that he didn't trust magic users, but he also didn't trust those that had been their enemy. Those two things mixed? It meant it was unlikely he would ever be relaxed while in Roseal.

"I believe that this was an attack on me, not on you," He explained, once he and Liethe were alone in the hall. "Many of my people were unhappy about me bringing you here. I'm a new king, after all, and they think my first move of action should have been to have my most powerful mages burn your kingdom to the ground. But.. I don't want that. I don't want war and I don't want to kill you." He knew that if the other king truly believed this had been his doing, he would never be convinced otherwise. Abel couldn't help himself from desperately trying to clear himself, though. "I'd send you to your room and post my men outside, but until I know who is responsible.. It's best you stay at my side. Not because I can protect you, but because I'm going to declare that any act of violence against you will be considered an act against the crown and will be handled as such. I just have to issue a.." Abel trailed off, eyes traveling down the hall in the direction of James's room, desperate to check on his brother. 

Liethe noticed the other king's anxiety. Years of court training to pick up clues to a person's feeling more subtle than Abel's blatant eye movement made it extremely easy. Liethe was honestly surprised at how informal Roseal was within the castle compared to Felios. Then again, Liethe's family had always been fairly strict, he could tell from the stories he heard in the halls sometimes, about Liethe taking after the rest of the Ayers. He wasn't sure he wanted to be like them, though. Their prejudice against magic users was one of the things that had lost so many people their lives. 

"You don't need to keep yourself from your brother on my behalf, King Abel," he told the other. 

Last edited by a moderator:
"It would be impolite of me to run off before I've given you an explanation. And anyways, Janette went to see him so I'm sure that he's fine," Abel cleared his throat, trying to keep himself composed. 

They had never had many visitors in Roseal. And when they did, the young prince hardly ever had to say a word to them. His father had always done all the talking and he had just stood behind him, and smiled. Perhaps he should have paid a bit more of attention, because he was beginning to notice how formal Liethe was. It confused him a bit, kind of like he had been sat down at some warped game of chess where the rules were all different. He wasn't sure what to do, what to say. The adrenaline pumping through him wasn't helping.

"It would be impolite of me to run off before I've given you an explanation. And anyways, Janette went to see him so I'm sure that he's fine," Abel cleared his throat, trying to keep himself composed. 

They had never had many visitors in Roseal. And when they did, the young prince hardly ever had to say a word to them. His father had always done all the talking and he had just stood behind him, and smiled. Perhaps he should have paid a bit more of attention, because he was beginning to notice how formal Liethe was. It confused him a bit, kind of like he had been sat down at some warped game of chess where the rules were all different. He wasn't sure what to do, what to say. The adrenaline pumping through him wasn't helping.

"True," Liethe agreed, ignoring Abel's clear attempts to keep himself composed. Liethe was fairly certain that King Abel wouldn't last a day within the Felios court. He'd be eaten alive, perhaps literally if they were feeling savage enough. Liethe made a mental note to himself to begin working new people into his court. If he was worried that they'd revert to cannibalism, then it was definitely time to start replacing them. 

"However," he continued. "It's your family. And while I'm not very close to my own relatives, it seems you have the opposite relationship with yours. You've already given the explanation, after all." 

"James is, um. Very important to me. My sister is as well. They're extremely-" He paused, not able to find a word that fit exactly. "I know you don't understand but it would make me feel a lot better to see how he is. You'd have to come with me, though. At least for now. I won't keep you from sleep forever." 

Abel laughed awkwardly, wringing his hands together. He'd grown up studying with his siblings, teaching them how to use their magic because their teacher wasn't a sorcerer. He'd watched over James a lot, a personal favor to his mother. He'd sworn to his father to protect their line. 

"Understood," Liethe responded, giving a slight nod. Truly, Abel's incompetence with formality was almost adorable, like a seven year old just learning how to even speak to someone properly.  Nyel wasn't going to be happy with him for going along with Abel, but the young king didn't much care. This whole situation was dangerous and his personal guard needed to learn Liethe wasn't backing down from this treaty unless the King of Roseal himself held a sword to Liethe's throat. It was too important that they stop fighting for him to do anything else. Besides, negotiating a peace treaty would be a wonderful start to his reign as king. 

Abel was quick to navigate to his brother's room, leading the other king up a flight of stairs and down a dimly lit corridor. Knights and maids bowed as they passed, topping over at their waist, reminding him of dominoes. He wasn't sure he'd ever walked so fast, and might have broken out into a run if the other king hadn't been following him. James's door was shut, a guard posted outside. He moved out of the way and pulled the heavy wood door open for them, nodding his head as Abel rushed into the room. 

James was sitting on his bed, eyes wide, face pale. The royal doctor was kneeling next to him, two fingers on his wrist. The old man looked up when the kings entered, narrowing his eyes at Liethe. "He's only ate a little, and we've managed to get most of the food out, but.. Well, the taster isn't dead yet so he might be fine." 

Liethe stayed near to the door, not wishing to cause any tensions to rise. He studied the scene quietly, all around pleased that James wasn't dead, though didn't let it show on his face. It wasn't because of any personal attachment to the boy. After the outburst earlier and unreasonable behaviour, Liethe actually wasn't too fond of the young prince. However, he was still a prince. Any death in the castle while he was there would likely be pinned on he and his people in some way or another, at least by the castle staff, he knew. 

"Might be," Abel tried not to let his voice choke on the words, eyes squeezing shut. He stayed a few feet back from his brother's bed, turning to motion to one of the guards. He gave orders to have the kitchen staff rounded up and brought to his throne room, and for someone to go get Noel. He then left Janette to look after their brother. "Would you like to help me figure out who is responsible for this, King Liethe, or would you rather go to bed? I can't promise it wouldn't be a long night, but I don't think I'm going to rest until I've figured something out."

"I'll assist in any way I can," Liethe promised, following the other king from the room. He knew he wouldn't be able to get much sleep if he left the issue unattended by him in some way. His father had always insisted that issues couldn't be left, because then they would lose urgency and not be dealt with properly. Or the issue would escalate and become harder to deal with than before. Or more problems would come up, and by the time the first issue could be dealt with it would have blown out of proportions. Needless to say, his father's lectures lasted for often more than an hour. 

"Well, then I suppose we head to my throne room and begin interrogations, hm? I wonder if it would be rude to eat while we're talking to the staff. I could get some pastries brought in. They were made yesterday and I, um, hid them in my room because Noel would have scolded me if he knew how many I ate." Abel scratched the back of his neck, a light blush taking over his cheeks. He knew he was rambling yet again, the dire situation doing nothing to relieve him of his awkward nature. "They're apple! And strawberry, but I only have five strawberry ones left. I can have some milk brought in, too."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back