• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Magical Bickerings

It was a beautiful day to end a war, even if it was a bit chilly. The clear skies almost symbolized the path to a brighter future. Abel said as much to his guard as they strode towards the court yard, where he would be meeting the foreign king for the first time. His knight just chuckled at his young charge's attitude, following him.

Abel glanced out one of the windows. They were still on the second floor, but his guest was scheduled to arrive any minute. He couldn't quell the excitement burning in his chest. His people were apprehensive, and rightly so, but the fact that the other man had agreed to the meeting showed that they were already moving forward.

He adjusted his circlet and took the steps two at a time, barely refraining from running out the entryway. His siblings were already lounging on the steps, a mess of winter coats and furs. His little brother's cheeks were bright red, and their nursemaid was fussing at them about putting more layers on. Abel was so warm with anticipation that he hardly noticed it, eyes trained on the gates as he awaited the arrival of his guest.

It was only a few minutes of waiting until the arrival of King Liethe and his procession. Liethe was in front of the group, riding uptop his favoured mare, though was closely flanked by two guards, also upon horses. A wary sign of trust that death would not be upon them as soon as they stepped into the court yard. Five other guards followed behind behind them, keeping an eye on the carriages and servants that had been brought with them.

A total of seven guards, something that Liethe was a foolish tradition. Only seven guards were brought along on missions of peace for the royal family Ayers, a hope that the lucky number would bring raise the chances of the peace meetings to go well. A foolish tradition, but one Liethe wouldn't dare drop. They needed all the luck they could get, and it had been fretted over many a sleepless nights after peace meeting had been agreed to on both sides.

The young king shifted his head to the side subtly to readjust his circlet. He honestly hated the thing, and he was having another made if he survived his visit to his neighbouring kingdom. The dang circlet was made of a fairly heavy metal, meant to symbolize the weight that the king bore by leading the kingdom, but that was one tradition Liethe was going to burn. Being a ruler was difficult enough when he had to deal with his mother, who, when she wasn't grieving his father, was nagging him turn the peace meeting into an attack, not to mention his anxious citizens, who were convinced that magic users were demons that could never be trusted. He didn't need to worry about attacks and breaking his neck because of an accursed head accessory.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound of a trumpet blaring brough Abel's siblings to their feet. Hidden by his coat, his brother clutched his hand as the gate swung open and the small group entered. Abel's breath caught in his throat. This was it, the beginning of a new era. If everything went well, he could call home his troops. Reunite families and stop spending so much money of a war he had no reason to fight.

When the king finally stopped his horse, the servants, knights, and even the prince and princess bowed. Abel was the only one still standing, and eager smile on his face while he rocked back on his heels, unaware of the tension blooming within his own people.

"Welcome to Roseal," He called, heading down the steps. His guard rose and followed, hand unconsciously on the hilt of his sword. Abel had forgotten that he was even wearing one, but the look his knight gave him made him suddenly aware of its weight at his hip.

There would be no politics tonight. The king would be set up in his room, given a tour of the castle, and then they would have a feast. Abel wondered his he'd be able to talk his guard into allowing them a trip to the beach. It was too cold to swim, but the waters were still gorgeous. He knew that of he could simply get the foreign king to see the beauty in Roseal, and in its people, he'd have a much better chance convincing him that there really wasn't a need for war. Sorcerers were not demons, and the hate that their fathers held for each other could die with them.

He beckoned for his siblings to rise, and though they both lingered a few steps behind him, Abel was glad to have them there. "This is Princess Janette, and Prince James. We're very glad to have you here. My men will take care of your horses and luggage. Would you like to come inside?"

"It's cold," James remarked, echoing his brother.

A small smile marred the cautious -though hopefully friendly- expression Liethe wore. The royal children. They wouldn't endanger their own children by allowing them to be so close to he and his guards. The king felt himself relax the slightest bit, though his guards did no such thing, tense in the chill air and eyeing the potential threat of the other kingdom warily. If Liethe died, then they'd all be thrown into war once more, and none of them wanted that.

He inclined his head in a slight nod of respect and thanks, a nod that his mother had made sure he perfected when he was twelve, and one that he was grateful for having. Though he didn't believe that all sorcerers were evil -few things were completely evil- it was difficult to go against his upbringing to hate magic users, to ignore the stories that, while likely fabricated, were littered with the many evils that magic users had done and how if you were to ever meet one, you were to kill them on sight.

Still, he was a master at hiding his true feelings from years of training in the way of the court. So he pushed his fears deep where he could ignore them until he lay in a foreign bed in a foreign castle in a foreign kingdom full of people he had been taught to fear and hate. "That would be lovely, thank you."

Abel grinned and turned his back to the other king, ignoring the way his guard widened his eyes. Oh, yeah. You weren't supposed to turn your back on your enemies. But.. They were here to become friends, weren't they? He hummed at the thought, taking the steps two at a time. The nursemaid called for his brother- Something about getting a cold- And rushed him inside.

His sister followed him up the steps, standing beside him as they waited for Liethe, and he knew her well enough to recognize the distrust in her eyes. Abel just laughed and wiggled his eyebrows at her.

"Relax. He didn't bring enough men to be attacking us. He's just as tense as you are. Look at his shoulders-"

"My King," His knight- Noel, almost his age. His father was the head of the royal guard, and he was Abel's personal protector, and also his closest friend, "You do realize that you're not whispering? They can hear you."

"Oh? Can they?" He laughed, dunking to avoid the hand his sister swung at him. Abel shot the foreign king another grin. "I'm sorry. This is my first time receiving guests without my father here. I don't know what comments about your shoulders are and aren't appropriate!"

Liethe raised his eyebrows, and his guards tensed even more at the reminder of how few of them there were. The young king knew that, should he even twitch with the intention of doing so, his men would leap into action and get themselves killed by trying to let their king escape. King Abel seemed to be an odd fellow, perhaps a tad foolish, but entertaining, nonetheless. But Liethe couldn't really talk, he'd been like that his first court meeting, unknowing of what was proper commentary and grinning at everything.

He knew better now, though. People tended to see that as a sign to a foolish character, and Liethe had been taught to be everything but that, thankfully, or this meeting would be fairly immature and filled with more fear than it already was.

"Shoulders tend to not come up in conversation very often, so I'm not sure of the appropriate commentary on them, myself," Liethe said, following the other king to the steps.

"I apologize for my brother," Janette hummed, keeping her eyes away from the other king even as she spoke to him, "He's not around guests much. For obvious reasons."

Abel placed a hand over his heart and looked to Noel for support, but he just shrugged and said, "She does have a point."

"I can't believe this!" He gasped, following behind Liethe and his entourage of guards, "Wounded by my own sister and best friend. King Liethe, don't you find what they said just now incredibly rude?" He hurried to catch up and walk next to him, mostly so that he could lead the way to his quarters. The servants they passed eyed them curiously, but they all stepped out of the way. Abel hummed, trying to find a way to ease the tension between the two groups. He paused as they passed a large portrait of the royal family- His mother grinned down at him from where she sat in the image, James on her lap, Janette standing to her left, Abel to her right. It had been painted three years ago, but the fierce look in his father's eyes was just the same one that he remembered. Next to his father, though, was another man- With longer blonde hair and a ghostly pale complexion. Abel averted his eyes and kept walking, a small puff of breath leaving his lips.

That...wasn't a question Liethe knew how to answer, nor had he been trained to answer, because what? He glanced at the portrait, but didn't linger in front of it. He really didn't like Abel's father, though. That was likely because it was ingrained into him to despise the enemy. But he wasn't in enemy territory, more... neutral, for the moment, so he should really relax before he did something to turn neutral into opponent.

"Truth tends to not be considered rude," he said carefully after a moment of consideration, recognizing the other king's attempts to lighten the tension, but not wanting to cause the tension to grow worse. "But the question is whether or not the truth is true."

His sister snorted and Noel chuckled, a blush blooming on Abel's face. Leithe was a hard egg to crack, he decided. He'd never met someone to reserved. Most people were more than willing to laugh their way into the young king's favor, and he found his grin slipping from his face as he pushed the door open that lead to Leithe's room.

"There's a small dining area, because I've been eating breakfast with my family alone since I was born, and it's a tradition I can't break. I apologize about that," He cleared his throat and entered the room. It was decked out in hues of grey and purple, with a large bed and a window seat made of plush material. "There's a bathing pool in there. Since you're on the ground floor, the water is fed naturally into it.. It circulates on it's on, and it's a bit cold this time of year. Um, that's the servants quarters. It should be big enough for most of your men. Oh. One more thing.. There's a dead bolt on the inside of your door. I ask that you leave it locked from the time you retire at night, until someone brings you breakfast. There were members if my court that weren't pleased with you being here. My first concern is for your safety, and though you're perfectly safe as long as you're by my side... Well. It's just best to take precautionary measures."

All the humor had left him.

Liethe decided that Abel wasn't too bad, as long as the deadbolt was his own idea. It was good to keep in mind the opinions of your own court, even if they didn't coincide with your own- especially if they didn't coincide. Liethe understood being unable to trust your own court. His own people weren't pleased with the peace meeting, either. "Of course. Thank you for your hospitality and foresight, King Able. I'm sure what you have provided shall be more thank enough for my men and I," Liethe said civilly, tilting his head at Abel in acknowledgement. The other king really wasn't so bad when he wasn't acting like he hadn't been trained at all. Perhaps Abel actually hadn't been trained; Liethe had no way to tell.

"Of course." He took a moment to excuse Janette, watching her hurry off to go see how dinner was coming along before he turned back to Liethe. "If you don't mind, I'd like to give you a tour while your things are brought in. One of your guards can accompany you, if you wish, but I'd like you to meet some people that might be a little.. Frightened by so many big, scary men with swords. Noel will be with me, of course. Although his face tends to make people-"

"My king," The knight cut in, shaking his head, "Please stop rambling."

"..Of course," He was grinning again, and slipped out of the room for a moment. When he returned, his sword belt was gone, as were his coats. He rolled his shoulders, grinning up at Noel. "I have no need for it in my own castle. And, anyways, like I said. Too many big scary men with swords can be frightening. Well. King Liethe, are you ready?"

"Of course," Liethe echoed, a vague hint of amusement on his face. Be reserved, don't be stony. Be firm, don't be pushy. Be kind, don't be a pushover. So many lessons echoing in his head, reminding him that one wrong move would throw them all into war yet again. His kingdom couldn't afford to lose any more people and resources, it was getting so bad that he was considering lightening the penalty of magic use, despite the protests and riots it would yield.

The king made a gesture at his personal guard -Nyel- to follow. Unlike Abel, Liethe didn't have a close relationship with his guard. Nyel was a stony man, older than Liethe by a decade, and trained to be a warrior, not a companion. Liethe somethings mourned his lack of personal relationships with any of his subjects- palace worker or not. But then he pushed the though aside and returned to work. He couldn't afford to waste time mourning things that would further waste time.

Abel nodded and began to lead the way, weary of the silence thay fell over them. He needed to fill the air. Something other than politics, he decided quickly. "In case you were wondering," He was sure he wasn't, "Noel and I have known each other since we were children. His father assigned him to me as soon as he was old enough to wield a sword. Like most of my people, though, he possesses no magic." Mentally, he scolded himself for not avoiding the topic. There was little time for him to worry about that, though. They had arrived at their destination.

The young king turned to grin at Leithe, knocking on the door twice before pushing it open. The chatter of playing children engulfed them immediately. He'd brought them to the nursery, where the younger children of the noblemen spent their hours. The live-in servants usually left there children there as well, and at current, seven toddlers where in the room under the care of a single, exhausted-looking nurse.

One child, a tiny girl with bright red curls, toddled over to Noel and demanded to be lifted up. The man complied and Abel silently cheered. He couldn't touch his sword while holding that one- She was a hair puller.

"Hana," He hummed, grabbing the attention of the nurse, "Why don't you go to the kitchen and get something to snack on? I heard that you worked through lunch. We'll keep everything under control! Oh. This is King Liethe."

She bowed respectfully to them, raising her eyebrows at Noel before hurrying off to do as she was told.

Now Liethe was quite pleasantly surprised. The news about most people not being magical made him relax subconsciously, and the information would certainly help other people accept the possible treaty. Plus, Abel had shown them the children, something that an enemy wouldn't do if they were smart. It gave the king hope that perhaps this wouldn't go so bad, after all. He gave a small, pleased smile, despite having to stick around to watch the children while the nurse was getting snacks for them. He was actually fairly fond of children.

Abel ushered Liethe and his knight into the room, shutting the door behind them to avoid any of the little ones running out. He took the seat Hana had been in, unphased when one of the toddlers crawled into his lap. "This," He began to explain, gesturing to the room, "Is why I want to end the war. These kids, they don't know anything of the hatred between our two kingdoms."

As if to make his point, one of the smaller children waddled over to Liethe, arms outstretched. A stuffed bunny was hanging from her mouth by its ear.

"Just so you know," Abel warned, watching in amusement, "She chews. On everything. Saliva village."

"At least she doesn't bite," Noel offered, shrugging. "We stop by here each day. It's not exactly a normal duty for a king, but.."

"But I think it reminds me of my responsibility," Abel finished. He wanted this to be enough to prove that his intentions were pure.

Liethe smiled gently at the girl when she came up to him, but didn't pick her up, though it seemed welcome, he didn't want to to risk anything. In Felios -Liethe's kingdom- one of the easiest ways to be treated with hostility was to carry another's child without permission. At least, that was the way it was done in the castle. Liethe wasn't sure about how it was treated outside the walls; he hadn't been allowed out before his father died, and when he became king, he simply had too much to do to study his people.

He didn't want to risk endangering the chance of peace, in any case. Especially not after Abel had taken him here to get him to understand that peace was the goal in hopefully both their minds.

"I understand," Liethe replied, tilting his head at Abel in acknowledgement again. "A fine way to remind yourself."

The girl started to whine when Liethe didn't pick her up, glancing at Noel and Abel- Why did the other children get to be held if she couldn't? She flopped down onto her butt, crossing her arms and kicking her heels.

Abel watched the display, placing a hand over his mouth to prevent laughing out loud. "She'll start screaming if you don't hold her. Children are troublesome sometimes," He carefully set the one her was holding down, moving to pick the little girl up before she could make too much of a fuss. "You'll find that our culture is extremely different from yours. I'm guessing you're already realizing that much," Abel puffed out his cheeks as the toddler latched onto his shirt collar, having abandoned the stuffed bunny, "So if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Or Noel. Or one of my siblings. Perhaps not James, though, he's shy. We're working on it."

The young king dropped off there, knowing he was rambling again. Hana returned shortly after that, setting a tray of cookies where the children couldn't reach.

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind," Liethe promised with amusement. "Speaking of culture, I apologize in advance in the case that I or my men do something to accidentally insult you or your people," he told them. It was always a good idea to be careful when visiting another kingdom, he knew, but it was also a good idea to make sure that the other kingdom also knew that anything insult was likely accidental. His guard wasn't impressed by anything going on, his face stony as he kept a diligent eye on the room, as though the children were a threat. Liethe understood his concern -who knew what magical children were capable of?- but wished he'd be more polite in his observance. Alas, Nyel wasn't much a people person, and Liethe would have kept him at home in favour of bringing along a friendlier guard, but it wouldn't reflect well on anyone if the personal guard was left behind when the king traveled away from Felios.

"You'll also find that me and my people are not offended very easily," He assured, setting the child down as he ushered the small group from the room. They waited outside while Noel spoke to the nurse, "But I do ask that you.. Speak carefully at dinner tonight. Some of the older members of my court aren't fond of having a young king. The believe my move for peace is.. A poorly-thought one. I've arranged for the man leading the opposition to be occupied tonight, though, so you haven't got much to worry about." Abel rocked back on his heels as Noel finally came out, giving him a bright grin. "Speaking of James, lets go to the study. It's where we'll be discussing possibilities for peace, after all," With that, he headed off down the hall.

Noel easily caught up to him, shaking his head. "You're not going to show them the greenhouse, are you?"

"That's a marvelous idea, actually."

Liethe exchanged a glance with Nyel- the king's expression amused, while his guard's was more wary. Whatever. Liethe was now convinced of Abel's intentions to be true. He hadn't met many others who'd admit and warn someone of a previously enemy kingdom (possible future, too, but Liethe really hoped not) that there were people very outspoken about the idea of peace. Liethe found himself surprised with how impressed he was by Abel, and hoped he'd continue to be pleasantly surprised as negotiations started and went on.

It wasn't long until the reached the study. The door was already propped open, a young knight standing guard. He stepped aside to let them pass, eyeing Liethe curiously.

This study in particular was huge. The walls were lined with books, most on history and magic. Two large tables sat at either side of the room. One was strewn with maps, books, and other supplies, while the other was bare. There was another door towards the back, made of screen. Early afternoon light drifted in through it, and next to it, Prince James sat on a mountain of pillows, reading. He glanced up, eyes fluttering from his brother to their guests. A look of alarm spread across his features before he controlled himself.

Abel just laughed, instructing Noel to shut the door behind them. "Like I said, we'll be using this room a lot. After breakfast, tomorrow, we'll begin. For now.. Have you ever actually watched a flower bloom, King Liethe?"

James shot up at the mention of flowers, quickly blocking the screen door, eyes threatening. "You can't show him the garden," He protested, shaking his head, "They'll destroy it. They destroy everything good. They won't understand how flowers bloom in winter, and they'll decide to kill them because they don't understand. That's what his people do!"

Abel sucked in a breath, body going ridged. He watched out of the corner of his eye as Noel's fingertips ghosted over the hilt of his sword. The carefully constructed air he'd built had been blow away, just like that.

Both king and knight tensed, Nyel's hand going to his sword. Liethe's eyes were narrowed at the prince, but then he glared at his guard, and the older man's hand simply hovered above the weapon.

Satisfied there wouldn't be blood caused by his personal guard, Liethe turned back to James. "And my people think that sorcerers are demons that murder and torture for spells," he told the prince seriously. "That doesn't make it true, though. Like how you believing that my people destroy everything good. Neither of those stories are true, which is why I'm here to try and make peace. I'd appreciate it if you didn't scream of my kingdom's false crimes while I'm here, though. That would make things difficult for everybody, just like I screaming of your false crimes would bring difficulties. Please don't label us all as monsters as my people have foolishly done to you."

Liethe hoped that was the correct answer. Of course he wasn't happy with James' words, but didn't want to restart the war because of one boy.

James held his ground, the anger in his eyes only growing at Liethe's words. His own hand moved for his sword, and it was clear that he was planning to draw. Abel quickly moved over to him, pulling him away from the door. They exchanged heated whispers, before James turned and stormed out of the room.

"I'm sorry about that," Abel slowly walked back over, smiling sadly, "James is.. He was very close to our father. He believed every word he said. It's hard to change after a life of being told one thing. He'll come around, I hope, but I've sent him to his room for the rest of the day. Now. Would you like to see the garden?"

Noel's hand never left his sword hilt, and Abel knew that there was nothing he could do at the moment to put him at ease.

"That would be appreciated, thank you," Liethe answered. He forced himself to relax, loosening his shoulders to try and make himself look less tense. Nyel stayed rigid, ready for battle with his hand hovering above his sword. Liethe gave him a look, though and he reluctantly moved his hand away. He was no less ready to attack, and Liethe gave a mental sigh. While both kings seems to wish for it, peace would certainly be difficult to obtain with everyone so tense with each other.The young king feared it would take only a single mishap for this all to fall to pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back