• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Magic vs. Steam-punk Technology (No official name yet)

Which side would you be on?

• Magic and Alchemy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steam-punk & Technology

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grimclaw

Picked Clean
Hey, and thank you for checking this out.

I've had the idea hanging about for a while. So I decided to see if it would rack up any interest here.

The plot is based around a feud and open war between Magicians and Steam-punk technology.

I have thought about different fields in each faction, to make things a little more interesting (I'll be showing an example later in.) Though it might feel restricting to certain Role-players.

In terms of backstory, I have it in a shaped forum, but fleshing it out; I won't spoil it here yet.

Mostly looking for constructive criticism to the idea, or approval. (And people who would like to join.)

*Example of fields within a faction and In this case magic.*

Magic

Necromancy

Animation

Re-Animation

Binding

Healing

Life Force Manipulation

Soul Crafting

Speaking to the Dead

Puppeteering

Druidism

Element Control

-
Fire/Water/Air/Earth

Natural Communication

-
Animals/Plant-life

Shape shifting

Fae Magika

Natural Processes

Lunar and Solar Forces

Illusion

Light Control and Visual Optics

Memory Implantation

Emotional and Auditory Creation

Formation of Illusionary Familiars

Illusionary Adjustment

-
Voice/Appearance/Personality

Falsely Altering Properties of All Objects

Arcane

Sealing

Summoning

-
Sprites/Conjuration/Familiars/Companions/Weapons & Armour

Crystallization

of Arcane Energies

Enchantment

Creation of Incantations

-
Scrolls/Grimoires/Runes

Detection of Magical Effects and Usage

Spiritual and Faith

Drawing and Controlling Spiritual Energies

The Underworld Gods (And summoning their servitors)

The
Ether Gods (And summoning their servitors)

Restoration of the Spirit

Exorcisms

Blocking and Countering against Binary Opposites in magic

Ritual Sacrifice

Alchemy (Through Magic)

Creation of Elemental Potions

-
Wildfire, Never Melting Ice, Lightning in a bottle, Dark matter e.g.

Transmutation of Anything and Everything

The Differences in Elixirs, Potions and Flasks

Ex Nilhilo

Magnum opus

Mythical creature Biology

I do plan to add to describe more on each of the subjects areas, and their sub-areas, in the near future (Also doing something similar for the Steam-punk faction.). I wish to know what you guys would think of a RP like this, would it be interesting, worth it, boring, uneventful? Feel free to let me know.

Lastly, thank you for reading through this. You're a star :5/5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimclaw said:
Just to clarify but, do you mean the sub areas or the whole areas itself?
let`s say I wanted something from Illusions and something from Arcane. Would it be possible?

Idea said:
let`s say I wanted something from Illusions and something from Arcane. Would it be possible?
The original idea was to choose one area of magic, but it might be possible to work around. Though I would have to be a tad strict on this to make sure it doesn't get out of hand; can't have people picking skills from everything you know?

Grimclaw said:
The original idea was to choose one area of magic, but it might be possible to work around. Though I would have to be a tad strict on this to make sure it doesn't get out of hand; can't have people picking skills from everything you know?
Maybe everyone would get two-three areas of magic?

Idea said:
Maybe everyone would get two-three areas of magic?
I think that would be a good idea. Like, maybe having two if they're from different categories, but three if they're from the same category of magic. I think that would be fair.

JackOfHearts said:
I think that would be a good idea. Like, maybe having two if they're from different categories, but three if they're from the same category of magic. I think that would be fair.
I actually meant the larger, the categories. Got the nomenclature a little messed up, it seems. If we did that, I´d say everyone should be entitled to about 3 powers 2 from the same, and one from a different one. And as they progressed, they might learn new ones, maybe up to a total of five.

JackOfHearts said:
Idea said:
I actually meant the larger, the categories. Got the nomenclature a little messed up, it seems. If we did that, I´d say everyone should be entitled to about 3 powers 2 from the same, and one from a different one. And as they progressed, they might learn new ones, maybe up to a total of five.
I definitely like Jacks idea a lot. Though I was intending to have if, say someone went Druidism, they would have all subjects in druidism open to them (Simply a matter of their character learning how.) But perhaps on the subject of hybrid Wizards, perhaps I could sort the sub-areas into Ranks? So say someone in Necromancy and Arcane would get a total of 6 areas, but can only go so far. This reserves some benefits for people's characters who specialize in an area, but leaves hybrid and choice still open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimclaw said:
I definitely like Jacks idea a lot. Though I was intending to have if, say someone went Druidism, they would have all subjects in druidism open to them (Simply a matter of their character learning how.) But perhaps on the subject of hybrid Wizards, perhaps I could sort the sub-areas into Ranks? So say someone in Necromancy and Arcane would get a total of 6 areas, but can only go so far. This reserves some benefits for people's characters who specialize in an area, but leaves hybrid and choice still open.
maybe you could pick more areas if you select less categories, that is?

Grimclaw said:
Hmm... I actually have an idea. Let's say a person has one MAIN category, right? That category they could get every rank for. But every other category added on they'd lose one available rank per category?

JackOfHearts said:
Hmm... I actually have an idea. Let's say a person has one MAIN category, right? That category they could get every rank for. But every other category added on they'd lose one available rank per category?
<3

JackOfHearts said:
Seems things are getting a little complex, but let's see how it goes. So, just to know if I'm following right, it would go a little something like this?

If someone had illusion as their main category, then if they wanted a subject from arcane they would loose a rank in illusion per skill in arcane they chose?

No no. Ok, let me try to explain this right. Someone chooses necromancer as their first category, they can have all the ranks. For every category after that they choose they can get one less rank. So if they chose 5 other categories they could only have one in the last category.

JackOfHearts said:
No no. Ok, let me try to explain this right. Someone chooses necromancer as their first category, they can have all the ranks. For every category after that they choose they can get one less rank. So if they chose 5 other categories they could only have one in the last category.
I think I see where you are going with it now. Is it like

Main subject: All areas

2nd subject: 5 Areas

3rd subject: 4 areas

And so on?

JackOfHearts said:
JackOfHearts said:
Yep! Thats what I was trying to say!
I don't know if I can approve the idea. I feel it would be a bit strange if someone who's main was Necromancy could also use Fae Magik, and so on. I feel it allows people s characters to become too overpowered using the magic system. I think it would be better to stick to having a single area of magic, or equally split (6 sub areas in total)

Grimclaw said:
I don't know if I can approve the idea. I feel it would be a bit strange if someone who's main was Necromancy could also use Fae Magik, and so on. I feel it allows people s characters to become too overpowered using the magic system. I think it would be better to stick to having a single area of magic, or equally split (6 sub areas in total)
Yeah... Thinking about it now my idea was pretty bad :P

Grimclaw said:
How about that idea, but it takes from the other? As in, if you especialize in one you get all six, if you have two you get four areas for the first and two for the second, and if you have three you get 3 for the main, 2 for the second and 1 for the third?

Idea said:
How about that idea, but it takes from the other? As in, if you especialize in one you get all six, if you have two you get four areas for the first and two for the second, and if you have three you get 3 for the main, 2 for the second and 1 for the third?
That...sounds like it could work alot better than my idea :P I'm not exactly the best at coming up with ideas, which is why my RPs always fail :P

JackOfHearts said:
That...sounds like it could work alot better than my idea :P I'm not exactly the best at coming up with ideas, which is why my RPs always fail :P
Well, this is actually how I had first interpreted your idea, so: Kudos to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back