• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Love of God Reboot - Victorian Cult RP - OOC

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
To quote a few of the relevant rules from the Group Doctrine--

• Confess your sins to one another. It is only through sharing our sins that we can overcome them. Confide your struggles in your brothers and sisters.
  • When you see your brother or sister struggling with sin, tell Pastor Kipling.
  • Those that leave The Group shall never be spoken to or spoken of, again. Should they be in the room, all believers must act as if they are not there and do not exist. Turn away from them and block them out of your ears and hearts.
and

• The ego is the enemy of God. Be humble and submissive— children to your parents and older siblings, wives to your husbands, and husbands to the Leadership.
  • When you are given a command by one with authority over you, do not question, for they are a step closer to God than you, and their wisdom comes from God.
  • Spare the rod, spoil the child

Poor Hero isn't going to have it easy.

I feel bad for all these characters.

And I know that Penny would be super protective of Hero, and try to cover up some of her misbehaviors. Try and shield her as much as possible.

I feel like even though they're both different, they'd be good friends even through all that hardship they have to live through

Ohhh yeah. Penny wouldn't dare speak up against her father, but she does present a quiet disobedience in the form of shielding and protecting her siblings from him. Making sure he doesn't find out about little transgressions, things like that. And she would definitely be the type to quietly encourage Hero's outspokenness, while also pleading with her to be cautious.

Definitely, I can see it happening. I also feel like Hero would try to protect Penny from their father if needs be, since she does the same for her

I'd love to have somebody make the young man Penny's gonna be forced to marry, just to see the other siblings' protective impulses just shoot off the charts.

I'd love to see what you come up with! It's one more little plot thread that can create a lot of drama.

Do you have anything specific for him, like a vague narrative that you kind of made for him (ie: is he batshit crazy or super mean?)

I mean-- For him to be picked, he'd definitely have to be super devout and view The Group's teachings as undeniably true. Which can lead to him falling into the authoritarian and controlling role that men in The Group are supposed to take. Whether or not that's actually his nature or just something he feels he has to take on is up to you. I'm going to give you complete freedom, besides that.

I'm just gonna say-- Malachi probably learned to read either in secret, or from the brother who's been excommunicated. Markus really is only educating his children enough to work (for the boys) or be housewives (for the girls).

And exactly! People who just lost their homes and are desperate for community are very vulnerable to cult recruitment tactics.

I'm just gonna say-- Malachi probably learned to read either in secret, or from the brother who's been excommunicated. Markus really is only educating his children enough to work (for the boys) or be housewives (for the girls).

And exactly! People who just lost their homes and are desperate for community are very vulnerable to cult recruitment tactics.

I figured that the boys would be taught to read the Bible, if anything. But secret reading is fine, too! ;)

Yeah-- it's good that Malachi can read, now that he's the oldest male child and will be being groomed to take over for his father, someday, but it wouldn't have been that way, originally. Any interest in your education from Markus would be a quite recent development.

A weird genetics tirade:

Looking over all the Kipling kids' looks, I'm noticing a strong prevalence of brown hair, and a mix of different eye colors (Penny and the twins have blue eyes, and Hero, Malachi (and Felicity... sshh) have brown). So far, Penny is the only blonde, which probably means that only one parent carries the blonde hair gene, but not necessarily.

Most likely it's their mother who has the light hair and eyes, and Markus who carries the dominant brown hair and eye genes.

I was also thinking about Purity's blindness... was she born with it or is it a result of illness? A lot of diseases common in the era (measles, scarlet fever, polio, etc.) could cause eyesight loss, especially at a young age. I'll note that Malachi is a polio survivor... lots of possibilities though

If my eyes don’t deceive me, Malachi and Hero have darker hair and the twins have it lighter, most likely because of the blond gene from one of their parents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back