• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
The Baron can't help but go slightly red, but he nods. "I understand, of course, of course- but what else am I supposed to do? My people are going to disappear into the stomachs of ghouls. Damned if I do, damned if I do not," he sighs. "But yes, he brings me information. He is aware of some of the intricacies of this... dark conspiracy, but not all. In the grand scheme of things, he is a mere soldier to his cult, yet powerful compared to normal men."

The lord decides to divulge some information that he has learned. "Aussux has fallen. The towns of the realm have been the first to go... Soon, the hordes will sweep across the countryside, and attempt to upseat us rural nobles. Thousands of my peasants will starve if the harvest is interrupted, and I need soldiers to maintain order in my domains. My vassals are dealing with the rebellion as we speak, but I still don't have enough men." He taps his fingers some more. "Again, I am aware of your commitment to Lord Caleyston. But he would have you march south of the lake to simply die in the defense of Clayhold, while he eats his siege provisions and lets the rest starve."

Lothair nodded in general agreement with the Baron. "I do not disagree with anything that you say. I visited Darroworth before coming here and the peasants there were at arms, having dealt with the first sighting of the undead. I doubt that many will return to farming in the coming weeks when they worry about being attacked by the undead again. Thus, I have come to see if we could coordinate some sort of response to the coming hordes. The peasants of Darroworth showed me the corpse of a wealthy burgher of sorts who seemed to be the city of Redwold... and to be frank I fear that Lord Caleyston is already under siege or worse as I have not yet heard word from him. Last I heard... he was busy dealing with a riot in Crowsby, but seeing the undead coming from Redwold..." He said and then paused for a slight moment before continuing to speak.

"While I have not heard from my liege lord, I still have my obligations to my people, your Eminance. I am not insane enough to ask them to leave their homes to fight so far from their families while the undead come to besiege their homes, but I will be willing to contribute men to patrol and help protect your southern holdings, particularly Darroworth and other neighboring holdings. You would have men freed up to send to more pressing places that require your attention while I work to insure our mutual protection in the south. Would this be an acceptable deal to you, your Eminance?" Lothair inquired.

"I have reason to believe that Redwold is in chaos, though the local guards are rumored to be maintaining a few holdouts, along with some surviving townlords." Townling aristocracy operates quite differently compared to the rural nobility. The townlords and urban gentlemen are often rich and powerful men with mercantile or guild connections, who possess enough silver to outfit themselves as knights, or even style their families as noblemen. The rural landowners often look down on them, viewing "peddler's wealth" as an inadequate substitute for ancient, 'proper' lineage. Gold, obviously, speaks to the king more than a few grumbles of his barons, so towns are afforded royal charters and special rights to protect them from encroachment by the rural lords, who are especially predatory in a place like Midduch.

Times, however, seem to be changing... "I am interested in sending men to relieve the townlings once I deal with the rebellion threatening my domains," the Baron explains.

He goes on to respond to your offer. "How far would this... defensive agreement extend to? Stromwood Castle?" he inquires. "Would you be willing to deploy on the field to protect my barony in that area, with at least part of your host?" he asks. "This would not be alone. If I am attacked, you will be fighting alongside my own host as well. Obviously, I will reciprocate with the complete protection of the du Artois manor." He taps his finger on his armrest. "I will be understanding, if, say, we are both attacked at once, and you cannot spare your host. I will not demand anything of you, in that case."

Lothair nodded and replied "An expedition to aid the burghers would be a wise decision. Though, I am sure they would be hoping for aid to come sooner than later, but alas we must help ourselves first before we are able to help others. As for the agreement, I am not able to field as many men as your Eminence is able to. However, what I can assure is that some of my own bannermen will be able to patrol the roads and maintain garrisons in the villages to the south of the main road that are in danger of the coming hordes of the east. If your Eminence is willing, then perhaps we could establish a small outpost or fortification on the main road? I imagine that fleeing refugees will be coming in mass from Redwold. If they are left unchecked, then they may turn to banditry and stealing from your farmlands in order to survive in the midst of the chaos. But, if we are able to instill some order through a checkpoint, then the refugees could be organized and sent to work the fields or join a levy or militia as needed. We would not need to build much if your Eminence were willing to turn the village on the main road into a more heavily fortified settlement."

---

Summary:

Lothair offers to patrol the road south of the main road and garrison some of his professional troops in the two villages that are potentially at risk from the undead coming from the east. (Darroworth and the village to the northwest of that)

Lothair also suggests establishing a joint outpost/checkpoint on the main road due to concerns of mass refugees trying to escape from Redwold. These refugees will be desperate and likely turn to banditry if left alone, but early action could perhaps allow them to turn the refugees into additional labor and manpower. Plus, the outpost could serve as a future staging point for the future when the Baron plans to help the townlings.

The Baron narrows his eyes a bit, perhaps taking it amiss that you have attempted to somewhat... maneuver around his offer, continuing to focus on his fiefs... "Hmm. My apologies, Lord Lothair, but I will not allow you to make such commitments to my own subjects and property without providing me some other kind of service. If I simply let you provide this 'charity', you would then be in a position to use my villfolk for your own purposes, rather than mine own." He pauses for a moment. "Which... I may graciously allow you to do. Perhaps you can even collect the taxes there, and keep half for yourself as payment. But I still require another, more important guarantee, and that is some fighting men on my behalf. Do you understand where I am coming from?" he asks. "We can discuss how many troops you may be able to provide, more exact numbers. If not, I fear we won't have much to make deals on."

"Ahh, Lord Stromwood, pardon my lack of clarification, the offer was to clarify what my responsibilities were in terms of aiding your secure your southern border. This offer is on top of our mutual agreement to come to each other's aid if we are attacked as you mentioned. Thus, I would be supplementing your men in the south with my bannermen, and in the event that either of us are attacked then we would come to the aid of the other if that would be acceptable to you. Unless, I am misunderstanding what it is that you ask for, your Eminence."

The Baron chuckles for a moment. "Ahh, of course, my apologies. I hope you don't take offense to my suspicion. Anyhow... you are free to do all of what you said earlier. I will name you as temporary custodian of Darroworth, as its proper master, Sir Gaines, is riding north aginst the rebels. You are free to advise and assist the bailiff of Darroworth with matters pertaining to the vill, though the other settlements south of the stone road all belong to Lord Pelkey of Squire Top, rather than myself. Make sure your men treat with my tenants kindly, and ensure that they do not commit any ill deeds in the village grounds. My bailiff will keep me informed, but other than that, I trust you to manage these lands appropriately. Consider the offer for tax collection included as well, should you require the money." He hums for a moment. "When you ride back to the du Artois manor, consult with your men and send word to me of roughly how many men you can spare."

(Could I get the name of the other village to the north west of Darroworth that I think I'm responsible for too?)

Lothair slightly bowed his head in deference and as a sign of bidding farewell. "I will be in touch, your Eminence. May we succeed in our efforts to protect what we hold dear to our hearts in these troubling times." Lothair turned and showed himself out of the hall with a sense of urgency. There was little time to waste as he walked back to meet with his retinue and horses. Lothair set his eyes to return to his manor where he could assess the situation with the council of his Knights and receive their wisdom and thoughts on the matter.

(Stennon, let's say. I'll update the map soon.)

The Baron bids you farewell, and you head outside with your men. A Stromwood servant woman has just given your horse an apple, before untying it from the stables and handing over the reins as you approach. "Farewell, m'lord." The rest of your affinity likewise climb atop their horses.

The ride back to the du Artois manor is relatively uneventful. The day seems to be winding down into the evening by the time you are received by the guardsmen at the bailey. Your castle staff have lit several braziers, with more posted guards and sleepless servants than usual. Word is sent to your advisors to meet you in the manor hall.

As you are waiting for your feudal officers to appear, a yeoman from Lastrahn approaches you. "M'lord," he greets. "My brother serves in your guard, and I seek to pass on my children to him, so that they may be safe behind the walls while I return to the village," he requests with a quick bow. Waiting nearby on a horse-drawn cart, there are three daughters, the oldest being in her teens, and two boys who must be no older than ten. "I can pay for their board," he assures you.

Lothair returned to his manor with little issue or particular events, a small blessing for which he thanked the Paragon for. Yet, he had much work to do as the coming days would be challenging and likely test the limits of his people and his own abilities. Yet, as he awaited for the arrival if his officers, Lothair encountered the Yeoman who asked for Lothair to allow his children to seek shelter with his brother, one of his bannermen. Lothair was a bit apprehensive with the idea. He didn't want the castle to be potentially swamped with refugees and concerned parents... there simply were not enough buildings to shelter hundreds of children and accepting these children would set some sort of precedence. Yet... would he deny the safety of children?

Lothair spoke to the Yeoman. "My good man. I assure you that there is no need to be so fearful and concerned. The curse has not spread far enough to threaten our livelihoods. Yet, if you are so concerned, then I will not turn them away. They may stay for now with your brother, but for the sake of worried parents and neighbors across the villages... will you find others who would be willing to bring coins together to hire the carpenters to build proper accomodations for the children? You will not be the last to ask me to shelter your children inside the walls, yet I cannot put a roof over hundreds of children. More homes must be built, and I cannot raise and care for the children. I may be able to protect them with these walls, but you and other parents must be able to shelter and provide for them as any parent must do."

The father considers your words, and nods. "Aye, a blessed thought, milord. When I return home, I will ask the other villfolk offer their help with this. My thanks, for your patience... I trust my brother can find a way to put them to work." The man humbly bows in gratitude. One of your guards opens the gate to the second bailey, and allows the yeoman to bring his children over to their uncle's hovel.

Before long, Sir Homwic and Sir Paryn arrive at the manor to greet you and Brother Holan (unless the latter was dismissed). "How was the trip, my lord?" Sir Paryn asks as he takes a seat at the table with Sir Homwic.

Outside, the skies are growing dark. You should be able to pick up a few spears from Lastrahn tomorrow.

Lothair grimly began to explain what he had learned from his trip. "There is much to discuss. Sir Paryn, I assume that Sir Homwic has informed you of the situation in Darroworth. I rode to speak with the Baron. He faces a rebellion and is stretched thin in the face of an impending wave of 'ghouls' from Redwold. According to the Baron, Aussex has fallen and Redwold is in chaos and under attack by the ghouls with some pockets of city garrisons and burghers remaining, which he seeks to go aid after the rebellion is dealt with. Now, the most concerning part of the Baron's situation. He has come to meet a former member of an ancient and dark order who practiced the dark magics. This... oath-breaker left his order after finding out the extent of how far his masters had fallen into the darkness and the abyss. Yet, despite claiming to want to fight against his former masters... this opportunist seeks material reward for his knowledge and services rather than help the faithful and seek redemption in the eyes of the Paragon."

Lothair paused for a moment before continuing "I do not trust this turncoat. Yet, I do trust that the Baron is doing his best with the terrible situation that we face and has brought the traitor in as a retainer and adviser. We know nothing about the insidious dark arts and how to fight it. This wretched man, for now, is our best weapon to fight off the undead that will soon flood the countryside and spread the curse. The Baron has extended an offer for mutual defense, and offered custodianship of the villages of Darroworth and Stennon as a sign of good faith and trust if we do agree to help him when attacked by both the ghouls and other opportunists. In effect, the Baron's own lands would serve as a buffer for our own lands from the hordes coming from the east, though we would be expected to help with his current lack of manpower. What are your thoughts on the matter?"

Your advisors weigh in their opinions on the situation.

"I was told of the situation in Darroworth, yes," Sir Paryn says. "Our people will suffer greatly if this curse of undeath spreads... So, though it may be well and good to have a pact that will allow our two domains to work together, I think Lord Angas is being rather foolish by consorting with the dark arts... it will not go over well with many of his vassals, which is probably why there is a rebellion in the first place," he remarks.

Sir Homwic taps his fingers on the table. "Well, I wouldn't want a necromancer coming to 'help' us, but if the Baron is willing send his merry men in exchange for ours, I would not be against that," he says. "In terms of defense, it seems a fair trade... I think that, if we eventually liberate Redwold from the undead, it will be worth it. We could deal with the heretic afterwards."

Brother Holan frowns. "Well, circumstances are one thing... but Paragon will always punish those who trust evil," he says. "It gets dicey when it's the lesser of two evils, however..." The monk-soldier hums a bit. "As Jaeros once said; it is better to face a foe of a thousand swords, than a single friend of black heart..." he quotes. "But, aye, if you are aware of these things, then you may be able to keep the Baron from being led astray by this lackey."

Lord Artois nodded as he listened to his advisers. They all had similar thoughts to his own. "Aye, Sir Paryn, I told the Baron as well that his decision to trust the traitor was not wise, but he is damned regardless. Without the necromancer, his lands will be overran by the undead and his people cursed as well. With the necromancer... may the Paragon be merciful and judge Baron Stromwood accordingly. Yet, I find myself sympathizing with the Baron. Between working with the necromancer at the cost of his own soul and the safety and duties that he has to his people... I would not abandon the noblesse oblige. The du Artois family is an ancient house that keeps its word and duties for better or for worse. I believe that the Baron has decided to bare the burden of sin to protect his flock. I will not judge him for doing so, yet I will not trust this evil man... if he were to betray his fellow man, then I would be among the first to cut him down where he stands."

Lothair than looked at his advisors and said "In the face of this terrible dark magic, we cannot survive internal feuding. I fear that this rebellion is enough to weaken our ability to fend off the coming hordes of undead. Frankly, I think both the Baron and the rebels are foolish unless the rebels do not realize the severity of the situation. Yet, the one thing that the Baron has that the rebellion does not is a possibility of protecting what we hold close to our hearts. The charlatan may be lying and not be able to help at all, but there is a possibility that he may provide us with a viable means to fight the coming darkness. The rebellion... armed conflict between living, faithful men... that only leads to death and misery when all our effort should be put towards fending off the dark magic. Thus, I ask you all. No matter what decision we make on the matter. Will you continue to support me so that we may protect those who we are sworn to protect? We simply cannot afford internal conflict and less so in the coming days. But, we may, as the Brother said, have to choose among the lesser of two evils and don the ever guilty crown in order to fulfill our obligations to protect the people. Will you continue stand by me despite having to choose the unthinkable?"

After you explain the situation to your advisors, they take a few moments to formulate their responses.

"I understand, my lord. It's difficult; very hard, but... I think we can make it through," Sir Homwic nods. "There's lives that have to be saved."

Paryn's face is tight, but he seems to agree as well. "We are kin, Lothair," he says, gesturing towards Homwic as well. He takes a brief moment to look up towards the du Artois banner hanging in the great hall; the bird chasing the sun. "Our ancient house would have been dust in the wind, if our family did not stick together."

Brother Holan seems to accept the situation as well. "There are many... particulars, in the scriptures. I am not an ordained man, so I have no final say on any of this. However... you are my rightful lord; a man who knows what he is doing, and is striving to serve the greater good. As long as we all serve Paragon in our hearts, I see no problem."

These are trying times; the social and religious fabric of the realm is slowly being stretched. However, it appears your counselors are still loyal, or at least flexible.

Lothair nodded and replied "Thank you all. I will sleep on the matter and draft a letter to the Baron in the morning. This has been... among the longest of days. I am sure that you all are anxious about what is to come, yet you must be well rested to be able to act well and think clearly. I urge you all to get some rest. I, myself, will retire to my chambers, but if there is anything you wish to discuss then know that my ears are yours." With that Lothair, would prepare for bed unless he was interrupted by someone or something. Before going to bed, he would perform his nightly rituals and offer a short prayer at the castle/manor chapel.

"...For the sick and infected: Emmortal, heal and help. Sustain bodies and spirits. Grant me the wisdom to navigate the darkness..."

The meeting is brought to an end, and you retire to your chambers for a (hopefully) decent slumber after your usual bedtime preparations.

After the eerie and uncertain dark, the sun rises again in the sky, sending beams of light through your room. The sound of the rooster's crow and general chirping of birds reaches your ears.

Once you present yourself to the rest of the keep, you receive a few reports.

Sir Homwic informs you that one of your patrols engaged the undead near Avendar. They were described as two landless vagrants, reanimated by the curse. They had chased a young serf girl before they were cut down by your men, though the archers had already skewered them with arrows before this happened.

Brother Holan has administered blessings to the castle once again, and has offered to pray with a few of the servant families.

The apothecary of Lastrahn is said to have been working on herbal methods to fight the curse.

Meeting with his advisors and after reading the reports, Lothair asked "Sir Homwic, do you believe that we should focus our attention to the north east? It appears Avendar is more at risk than the other villages... I have half a mind to send all the spears to Avendar and have the folks of the village start to train under the supervision of the footmen there. Furthermore, how many men do you believe we can commit to our agreement with the Baron to patrol the southernmost parts of his domain?" as he began to draft his letter to Baron Stromwood. Lothair then looked up from his letter and looked at Brother Holan, "Brother Holan, you are free to use the castle's chapel to administer daily prayers. Hope and faith are the things that matter when the days are dark. May the Emmortal watch over us in these dark times."

"Avendar will be hit first, aye," Sir Homwic says. "Darroworth and Avendar could be threatened at the same time, since the undead may wander to either one of those vills. As for how many men we could commit... if we keep our current patrols, and leave twenty men to guard the castle, we could spare around twenty-five men. Those are retainers, of course. We could raise the levy if needed, or look for volunteers and mercenaries."

"Stennon doesn't... well, officially belong to Lord Stromwood," Sir Paryn points out. "I believe it belongs to House Pelkey of Squire Top. Still, the Baron considers it a domain he wishes to be protected." It was known that the Pelkeys were recent (and not particularly experienced) nobility. Though they owned some land in name, House Stromwood assisted with much of the land management. "Ideally, we help the Pelkeys... help themselves."

Brother Holan nods at your suggestion. "All our merry men will know that Paragon is with them in this fight."

Lothair looked to Sir Homwic and said "The du Artois family will not shirk from its duties and responsibilities. These people's ancestors were once our forefather's men. Sir Homwic, I will entrust the defense and patrols of the Baron's southern lands to you. Take 10 archers, 7 footmen, and 2 veterans with you and your squire. Ride to Darroworth and set up defenses and patrols. The people there seem eager to protect their homes, but lack organization, training and direction. Things that I know you can provide. That one man... Ralph I believe his name was. He claimed to be a good shot. Where and how he learned to shoot the eye out of a man from a hundred meters away is suspect, but a minor concern in the face of this curse. Attempt to organize local talents like him to help you in your endeavors.

In addition, take 2 extra riding horses with you. See if you can organize small, rapid, and discreet scouting parties to quickly detect any coming undead from the east. Reading these reports... the ghouls seem slow in nature... they failed to run down a young girl in Avendar. Thus, speed appears to be our ally when dealing with the curse and early detection will allow us to mobilize even quicker. In the mean time, I will reorganize our men and focus on the defense of Avendar. Stay in contact. If 48 hours pass without word from you, then I will assume the worst."

Lothair then turned to Sir Paryn "Sir Paryn, I will draft a letter to the Pelkeys extending a hand. If they lack experience, then that is something that we in particular will be able to provide. If there are any concerns or questions, then please speak. The day is both long and short and there is much to do."

Lothair would then draft some letters and seal them with the ancient sigil of the du Artois family once he had time available:

Hail Baron Stromwood,

This letter is to confirm our mutual defense agreement in the face of this accursed magic. The du Artois family will not shirk from its ancient noblesse oblige to protect its own people to the best of our abilities. To secure our mutual borders, I have instructed over a score of my personal bannermen, under the command of Sir Homwic du Artois, to head to Darroworth and begin efforts to organize a cohesive defense from the coming threat to the east. Though, my own lands have begun to see the undead as the village of Avendar was assailed yesterday by the undead. If you have any further knowledge on how to combat these unholy beings, then I eagerly await to learn. As the situation develops, I will continue to reassess and commit more men and resources to fight this mortal threat to mankind.

With Sincere Mind and Heart,
Lord Lothair du Artois

---

Hail Lord Pelkey of Squire Top

I write to you in these uncertain times. Yet it is in the time of great turmoil that the true self appears from the mortal coil of man. As you are aware, a foul curse has struck these lands and the dead rise once more as ghouls and threatens our lands and our people. I have had the opportunity to discuss with Baron Stromwood to organize a united front to address this mortal threat to mankind as we cannot face this threat by ourselves when it has already consumed the great free cities of Midduch. Thus, I write to you to attempt to organize a coordinated defense and response to to coming undead from the east. We can fulfill our duties and responsibilities to our people, neighbors, Lord Stromwood, and the Emmortal. As I write, I am sending my bannermen to the east to help in the defense of Darroworth, which has already been attacked by the undead. Will you join the Baron and I in defending our mutual borders? Together, we can accomplish much and show our true selves and may it be glorious. I eagerly await to hear word from you.

Lord Lothair du Artois

---

Basic Summary:

Sir Homwic and his Squire are given command of 10 Archers, 7 Footmen, 2 Heavy Footmen, and 2 Riding Horses. They are to set off to Darroworth to organize defenses, patrols, and scouting parties in the east.

The first batch of 40 spears is sent to Avendar so that training and drilling can begin.

Lothair writes and send two letters, one to Baron Stromwood and one to Lord Pelkey.

"It will be done, my lord,"
Sir Homwic replies. "I will ensure that you are regularly informed of the goings-on in Darroworth, and I will do my best to work with the locals." He then summons his squire and goes about mustering the aforementioned men, also gathering some foodstuffs and ale to bring along to sustain the defense party. Unless contested, he takes a wagon to carry these provisions in.

"I cannot think of anything right now my lord, but I will be sure to let you know. For now, I will make sure there are heralds to deliver the letters, as well as order one of our carters to deliver the spears," Sir Paryn says.

--

Your letters are dispatched, and the messengers return later on in the day.
You receive two scrolls bearing the seals of the lords.

Lord Angas Stromwood grants praise in response to your contribution of troops, and states that the local bailiff will cooperate with your men. He advises you to cleave the skulls and smash the heads of the undead monstrosities, as they otherwise appear impervious to all other assaults that would kill a living man. He also tells you to be wary of reanimated beasts; though some are definitely more harmful than others. He describes how passive creatures, such as cows, will be stricken with undeath the same as a man. While they are "grotesque, unnatural things with strangely balanced humours", they don't appear to attack anyone.

As for the scroll with Lord Pelkey's seal...

1588987194980.png

The scroll is rather long, somewhat sloppily written in parts, but ultimately Lord Pelkey informs you that he is willing to join your defense. He can spare two scores of men, mainly levies, to patrol the hamlets between Stennon and Darroworth. However, he informs you that he has been beset by refugees as well as undead originating from the township of Redwold. He states that he has a decent number of horsemen, "not proper knights or anything but rather hobelars I believe they are called" - and that he wants to deploy them on the road, just south of Stromwood castle, past the hill. He also requests for assistance to help build lodgings for the refugees, and mentions the Lastrahn carpentry guild.

1588985423429.png

Last edited:
Lothair read the message from the Baron carefully. Not all who were cursed returned to attack humans... why this was the case... Lothair wasn't certain, but if undead cows remained passive... then could they be used as tireless labor animals? Not needing to rest, or eat while plowing the fields non-stop? Lothair brought the idea up to Sir Paryn. "If what the Baron says is true... then we could turn certain animals into undead draft animals that will not stop to rest, drink or eat. Imagine... a lone undead cow plowing an entire village's fields within a fortnight. Regardless, Sir Paryn, will you spread word of the Baron's message? It appears my assumption that the futility of attacking anything except the head is true, though crippling the legs may slow them down. In addition... pass the idea of using an undead cow along to the Masters of the villages. I will leave it to their own discretion if they wish to attempt to use an undead animal as a source of labor."

Lothair then began to draft a reply to Lord Pelkey:

"Lord Pelkey,

I am glad to hear word from you and your eagerness to address the situation. Your offer to send men to help patrol the road in between Stennon and Darroworth is welcome. I myself have just tasked Sir Homwic with organizing the defenses and patrols in the region with a score of my own bannermen. He can likely be found in Darroworth as Baron Stromwood has granted temporary custodianship of the village while its master rides north to quell the rebellion. I ask that your men coordinate with Sir Homwic so that we can maintain a united and cohesive front that is prepared to meet any threat from the east.

To that I end, I praise your initiative and idea with your hobelars. I too have ideas for the main road and the east that I spoke with Baron Stromwood. I would eventually like for us to build a military encampment there. However, first we must ensure the safety of our people and villages. Your hobelars, I believe would be more useful at suuporting our patrols in the region, but more importantly as scouts. If they are willing to make quick, rapid ventures to the east to attempt to gather intelligence, then we will be better able to make more effective plans.

For now, know that the only way to kill the undead is to destroy the head and that the corpses of the recently deceased should be cremated as soon as possible as the curse takes a bit of time to bring back from the dead. In addition, animals are affected by the curse though more docile creatures like cows do not attack the living when they are brought back. I will send word to the carpenter's guild that their services are sought by your lordship and I will also ask my bailiffs and knights if their villages or hamlets are able to accomodate some of your refugees to help alleviate the issue. If there is anything else that you are in need of or seek advice, then know that my ears are yours, Lord Pelkey.

Lord Lothair du Artois"

---

Basic Summary:

1. The Knights, Masters and bailiffs of the du Artois fief are told that the only proven way to kill the undead is to destroy the head. In addition, that animals can become undead as well though not all undead animals are hostile. Undead cows are docile and could potentially be used as a source of untiring labor. They are also asked if they are able to accomodate refuguees from Lord Pelkey's domains. Perhaps, they can be settled and put to work in the fields? Or perhaps they have unique trades/skills?

2. Lothair replies to Lord Pelkey, praising his initiatives and urges him to have his men coordinate with Sir Homwic in Darroworth. The Hobelars in particular could be used as scouts.

3. Lothair sends word to the carpenter's guild that their services are sought by Lord Pelkey in building accomodations for the refugees.

[Sorry for the delay!]

The suggestion to use undead beasts as draft animals is a bit of an awkward one, considering the glances your advisors exchange.

"'Let Man not make use of the profane magicks. Sorcery, necromancy, warlockery. Let us only find solace in our faith in the Hallowed Realm'," Brother Holan reminds you, paraphrasing from the holy scriptures.

"Regardless," Sir Paryn adds, "the peasants would be too shy for such a thing, at least right now. Not that we should we should ever do it- but..."

Brother Holan's expression does not change, remaining rather flat. "I can always find out more about the undead for you, my lord. 'Paragon smiles upon the curious scholar'. The fact that not all of them are ravenous... it is surprising, but that doesn't mean we should let our guard down around the things. The common man rightfully recoils in disgust in the presence of undeath."

Sir Paryn clears his throat. "Any which way, the knowledge on how to destroy the undead is very valuable. I will spread the word. Before we send word to the carpenter's guild at Lastrahn, I believe it will create a small conflict with our spear order. How shall we address that?"

(All good! Everyone gets busy now and then.)

"Pardon the rather unscrupulous suggestions. However, ever since I was barely a page, it has been drilled into me that one should always try to understand and attempt to think like the enemy. All of us here have been martial men at one point or another and know the value of intelligence and strategizing. It is a mental exercise to further my understanding of what the cursed are capable of... and what their weaknesses may be. If there are others who will be willing to use the dark magics, then we must be prepared and understand what they are capable of, eternally laboring draft animals being one potential asset that they will have. Brother Holan, I will entrust you to continue to learn about the undead. Their gruesome nature is not for the faint of heart as you have stated, yet I believe your faith will be smiled upon by the Emmortal and the Paragon will guide you."

Lothair then turned his attention to Sir Paryn and said "The spear order should only take four more days until it is finished. By the time that the carpenter's guild sends a representative to meet with the Lord , negotiate the terms of their services, and then survey the land that they must build, I imagine most of the order will already be accomplished. If not, then I do not mind if the carpenter's guild splits the labor in half though I expect fair compensation for the extension in time that the order will take."

Lothair turned his attention back to the council as a whole "Has our messenger to Clay Bailey returned? Have we heard word yet?"

Brother Holan says that he will keep tabs on the village patrols in case any more undead can be found and observed.

Sir Paryn nods. "A fair point, my lord. I'll send one of the men to Lastrahn to inform the guildmaster. As for the scouts we sent to Clay Bailey, they returned not long ago, in fact, they passed Sir Homwic as his men were riding out." Your steward calls for them to be summoned.

Gideon (Veteran Footman), one of your senior retainers, enters the hall and bows. "My Lord," he greets. The other scouts file in behind him. "Me and the lads went on down to Clay Bailey, and saw... mayhem, milord. Farmsteads were ablaze, and time and time again, we saw many errant dead..." He grits his teeth. "When we drew close to Clay Bailey, we were approached by a patrol claiming to be in service of the Sheriff of Redwold. They say that Lord Penn Caleyston
(1) has left the castle and fled to Clayhold."

(1) Lord of Clay Bailey

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back