• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lothair nods at the arrival of the master carpenter and listens to the man's explanation about the round shields. After hearing the men speak, Lothair replied "Thank you for coming all the way here. For now, let us proceed with the order of 200 spears as the shields are rather pointless without the spears. Once the spears are done, we can then discuss further orders and jobs for you and your guild as the men will be better able to make use of the spears and a shield after they are trained. If purchase of materials is going to be a burden upon you and your carpenters, then you may take up to half of the payment upfront with you on your trek back to Lastrahn. The rest, of course, will be paid upon full delivery of the 200 spears. Do you find these terms acceptable, Master Carpenter?"

"These are very kind and generous terms, my lord," the master carpenter tells you. Sir Paryn frowns at the flattery as the old man continues. "We will need to secure the wood and iron before we begin poleturning. 300 silver will be more than enough to cover the costs of such requisitions... we will happily accept the rest of the payment upon the completion of the order to our lord's satisfaction." Though he is already quite well-to-do among the commoners, he is visibly quite excited to be making more money. For even when split among a small guild, such an amount silver is a lot of money for a common man. "The order should be fully complete in about five days' time, my lord. You are welcome to send a man to pick up the spears we make each day."

Sir Homwic nods. "We may have some adjustments to make later, depending on how many men we are able to array. Two hundred is simply Sir Paryn's estimate," he says.

"Duly noted, you are dismissed, Master Carpenter." Lothair replied as he got up from his seat. He couldn't help but feel a bit anxious about the situation and that there could be more to do instead of simply wait for the runners sent to Stromwood Castle. At the very least, he wanted to hear word from his neighbors... and ultimately try to get word from Clay Bailey. Lothair called out to his knights "Sir Homwic, will you join me in a trip to scout out an ideal location for our planned outpost and then visit the master of Darroworth to inform them of the situation regarding the curse and our plans to build the outpost? Brother Holan should accompany us... I imagine seeing a small group of armored horsemen would stir some concern, but having a monk among our numbers will lend some ease and belief in the curse. Though, the village of Darroworth may have already discovered the curse themselves... Sir Paryn, I entrust you to watch over the castle in my absence. Sitting here in the hall doesn't sit well with me when there is more that we can do, and it would be best for us to at least make contact with Clay Bailey to see what is happening out to the east. Emmortal watch over us all if the curse isn't contained to just these quiet lands. I hope fortune will allow us to meet with our runners sent to Stromwood Castle on the road and that they will have good news for us."

---
Summary:

Lothair, Sir Homwic, Brother Holan, 1 Squire, and 2 Heavy Infantry w/ Riding Horses prepare to ride out, scout out the future site of the outpost/road toll, and then go on to Darroworth to speak with the village master.

Sir Paryn is entrusted to watch over matters in the interim.

Last edited:
Your steward is tasked with holding down the keep, while the rest of your advisors and yourself gather several good men to bring along with the scouting party. Normally, it might just be a gentle ride through the countryside. Obviously, the recent goings-on have created a very heightened sense of danger, as if there was an impending siege. Sir Homwic's squire is young, but even the two grizzled retainers seem a little bit nervous. Brother Holan issues a short prayer before the departure.
1583091193245.png
"In these trying times, let it be known that Paragon shall watch over us. Take heart, lads," he says.
Sir Paryn stands upon the battlements and orders the rotation of the on-duty archers. He waves your party out of the gates near the manor house. Riding down the road, you see plough teams with oxen working the fallow fields, while in other fields the serfs and freemen sow their spring crops of barley, peas and beans. Though many of the faces of the common folk seem gloomy due to the bad omens and foreboding weather, it is not an excuse to shirk their duties in the fields. A few young peasant women walking along the road bow as you ride by, while Sir Homwic forces his squire to avert his wandering eyes.

1583091169398.png

You come upon the crossroads. There aren't many trees nearby, so Sir Homic suggests that wood will have to be brought from Pelleck, since it would be illegal to harvest anything from any woodlands north of Clay Bailey's road without permission from Darroworth's overlord, the Baron of Stromwood.

The road was relatively calm and quiet. Frankly, it would almost seem like a normal day if it were not for the curse and the odd weather. Lothair gave a stern nod in greetings to those that the party passed by. The trip to the intersection proved to be uneventful as Lothair looked around the barren plains around the area. While there wasn't much to look at nor resources to build with, at least that meant that building a watch tower here would give the sentries a good clear view around the area and enough of a heads up if something or someone approached. "A bit remote from Pelleck, but a fine spot to build a guard tower since it could get a commanding view of the area." Lothair commented to Sir Homwic. Without much more to see, Lothair then called out "Onwards, men. To the village of Darroworth, and keep your eyes open for any signs of the runners we sent to Stromwood castle." as he then urged his horse forwards to the village.

You and your affinity continue on to the village of Darroworth, located in the outlying Stromwood lands.

Your party passes by a few more fields, serfs still being seen here and there, but mainly in larger groups and never alone. You occasionally bear witness to the desiccated carcasses of critters such as dogs, cats, even the occasional sheep. They are haphazardly butchered, as if the act was done by raving madmen, the meat left to rot in large piles. You also spy items such as a pair of lost boots, and several broken arrowheads. Some of the serfs seem to be gathering straw and wood for a pyre.

The main plank-road leading to the entrance to the village is guarded by a makeshift checkpoint consisting of wooden stake palisades and positioned wagons. Several male serfs carrying hatchets, forks, flails and spears mill around nearby. A nearly toothless freeman with a bow so large that it exceeded his own height seemed to be their 'commander'. He approaches your affinity and bows, his large brown cloak blowing in the wind. "Lord Art," he greets. "Hail!" It was common nickname for you in the region, since the common folk... had some difficulties with pronunciation, at times.

1583112762696.png

Last edited:
Lothair's nose furrowed slightly at the sight of the desiccated animals and rotting flesh thought the serfs of this village seemed to be relatively organized in their large groups, a note that Lothair would keep in mind for his own people. When the party arrived at the village, Lothair muttered to Brother Holan "These people are preparing a pyre... whoever it is for... will you perform their last rites? If the folk are welcoming of us, then I am sure they can do with some hope and faith." until the group was greeted by the freeman, Lothair called out "Hail! My good man! I came to warn your village's master about a curse in the region... but it appears I may have been too late. We caught some fish who wouldn't stop floundering after hours and a chicken that would not cease moving until its head was cut off... even then its head continued to move. I suspect the lands may be cursed and all dead things will come back as undead after a short period of time. Have the dead not stayed dead in Darroworth as well?"

Brother Holan inspects the pyre as the affinity rides past. "Very well, my lord." The hierodeacon rides over to the men preparing the pyre. He speaks to those present, and begins to offer some holy words to the passed.

The archer nods, as if such happenings were no great surprise. "Aye... the dead walk, m'lord. Never thought I see the day," he murmurs. "But when ye put an arrow in their eye, they go back down to the Abyss where they belong."

"Or... if you break the whole of their head,"
a poor cotter with a flail remarks. "Dead men come lurkin' from the woods. Our master isn't here, m'lord. He is fightin' for the Baron in the north," he says.

"Aye," the freeman replies. "One of the Baron's knightly men turned coat in all this! Sir Moulton, the traitor."

Last edited:
Lothair was taken aback slightly at the mention of treason. "Another rebellion? Emmortal preserve us." He prayed. "Men from the forest? The east teems with bandits. Will you take me to their bodies so that I may try to identify the men? Do they bare any coat of arms?" Lothair then looked over to Sir Homwic and said "Despite their master having departed to quell the rebellion to the north, I cannot, in good faith, simply leave the folk here to deal with the calamity by themselves. Sir Homwic, can you help rally and organize the men and defences here so that they will be at least a bit more prepared to handle the situation?" Lothair turned back to the archer "Good man, what is your name? Will you accept our help? As your neighbors, by the good graces of the Paragon, I cannot ignore your plight. Know that if need be, my castle is open to your people should they need to seek shelter."

"Aye, m'lord. We can take you over for a look at them. As for coats o' arms... well, they looked like vagrants," the archer mentions. There were plenty of such landless peasants in Midduch, since feuding and lawless nobles have burned many homes in the past. Vagrants were scorned or pitied depending on where they were, but sometimes they joined villages as hired hands, or joined the ranks of outlaws.

Sir Homwic acknowledges your command and sets off to check the state of the village's arms and defenses, possibly looking for the bailiff or some other local official left in the stead of their master.

"My name is Ralph, m'lord," the freeman says. "Thankee, your lordship. You are most gracious. Though, the bondmen in this village may not be allowed to leave... but if there is no other choice, seems to me that some would come," he shrugs.

You prepare to set out with the peasants to view the bodies. Upon riding over, you see that there are just under a dozen corpses. There are men and women laid out in the green grass, children as well. Most belong to the barefoot poor, dressed like beggars and itinerant farmers. One man was wearing a wealthy townling's furs and cap, however.

At least a few of the bodies were unlucky local serfs that had been attacked and slain. Some of the bodies are newer-looking, with fresh red blood and fair skin. Others have putrefied, their flesh squirming with maggots. The peasants have left sweet-smelling herbs and colorful spring flowers along all of the bodies, to ward off the sickly stench and corpse flies emanating from them. At least two serfs act as guardsmen on either side of the line of bodies, nervously gripping their large scythes as if they were halberdiers, staring intently at the row in case one of their number should rise back up a second time. In the background, more wood is gathered for the funeral pyre.

"Here they are, m'lord," the freeman declares upon the arrival. He makes sure to point out the rotting cadavers he had slain himself. "Got that one, a hundred yards," he boasted. "Anyway, m'lord... these strangers fell upon us last night, and the night before as well. The ones they killed... they became like them. Abyss creatures."

Last edited:
Lothair became concerned at the sight of the relatively wealthy man. These undead were not just bandits. How far has the curse spread? It became clear that other settlements to the east had been affected for the wealthy looking townling to have come this far from the east. He had to send men to Clay Bailey and learn what the situation was like in the east. Lothair then turned to Ralph and said "Well done, Ralph. Though, the men should not be nervous as long as they cut off or destroyed the head of the undead. But yes... it appears that all who die are affected by the curse and return as these demonic monsters within 30 minutes or so. Be sure to cremate the dead swiftly or sever their heads soon after their death." He then looked around once more at the chaotic village. "If possible, I would establish an emergency fort around the center of the village. Your wagons should serve rather well in making a wagon fort and make it so that the undead only have a small opening between the wagons. Your men would only have to hold those opening and are also able to fight from on top of the wagons where the undead will not be able to reach them."

He then turned back to look at Ralph and said "Now, unless you have something to request from me, I must depart. I plan to send an expedition to the east to Clay Bailey and get a better sense of the situation. When your master returns, inform him that I intend to build a fortified tower at the intersection to the south to give us all a bit more safety and keep an eye to the east." Lothair, however, was still perturbed by the sight of the wealthy townling. His curiosity rose and he approached the corpse of the townling to inspect it closer. "Where could this man be from..?" Lothair asked outloud to no one in particular. Perhaps, there was something on its body or pockets to potentially identify where the man came from? Lothair began searching and would otherwise rally his retinue and return to his manor.

"My lord," Sir Homwic greets, riding back over. "The bailiff of Darroworth has raised a general levy, and he is acting commander in Sir Gaines' absence. Though, it appears our good man Ralph has been trusted by the bailiff to help oversee his intent. Lookouts have already been posted around the village, and anyone working or traveling outside the village center must travel in pairs. Most peasants have brought long daggers or sharpened stakes with them, for their own defense. I advised the bailiff to order rotating shifts of guards, and to pay the freemen to supervise the serfs during the field work." After your captain relays to you the local defensive situation, you are rejoined by Brother Holan, who has returned from his prayers. Though, as he looks at the line of bodies, it seems he has his work cut out for him again.

Your advisors watch as you kneel down to inspect the body of the dead townsman. The stench of rot invades your nose, and it looks like he has been dead for almost two days already. His purse strings have been sliced, and he has very few belongings left on his person. The peasants would have probably lifted his clothes off his back if they weren't already splattered with unsightly blood and putrescine.

"Redwold is about a day's walk from here, m'lord," Brother Holan says grimly.

Lothair's nose furrowed at the stench of the dead and the rotting. There didn't seem to be much left to examine as anything of note was likely already "discovered" by the peasants and taken. Still, if Brother Holan was correct... Redwold seems to have been victim to something terrible for a wealthy free man to have turned into an undead and find itself all the way over in Darroworth. Lothair approached Sir Homwic to whisper "Darroworth, in effect, serves as a buffer for our holdings from the east. If Darroworth is ever to be overwhelmed by the undead, we will likely be next." He then returned to his horse and said out loud to his retinue "Saddle up. We will return to the du Artois manor to get some more men and then attempt to ride east to Clay Bailey. We need answers. Where in the bloody world are the Stromwood messengers...?" as he urged his horse onward. Lothair nodded to Ralph as he rode by and said "Farewell, my good man. May the Emmortal watch over you." as the retinue began to make way back to Castle du Artois.

Sir Homwic leans down from his horse to listen to you in confidence for a moment, before nodding. You climb back onto your horse, and your men make ready to move on your command.

"Farewell, m'lord. You as well," he calls as you ride off with your men. Many of the locals turn their heads as they watch your affinity make its way back to whence it came, with noticeable haste...

You make your way back out to the outskirts. After you pass by the flat crossroads, you notice that there are two riders some distance behind your entourage. They are recognizable as the envoys to the Stromwood keep, and they eventually catch up to your affinity.

"Sir, my lord," the squire of Sir Homwic greets as he returns with two of your mounted serjeants. "Lord Stromwood is aware of the situation. However, he has stated that he must deal with one of his rebellious vassals, Sir Moulton," he says. "We were told that the undead will soon overtake Redwold, and that Aussux has likely already fallen. The Baron has offered to extend his protection to us, if we provide men to assist in crushing the rebellion." He draws in a breath, as if he is still coming to grips with the fact that such large townships are already being destroyed by the curse. "He... invites you to meet with him, if you would like to discuss detailed terms."

(Sorry for the delay on this post! Lost track of it since things have been hectic with the virus.)

Lothair hailed the returning envoys and listened to what they had to say, but the words they brought were simply disheartening. "The cities... have fallen?" Lothair muttered as he processed the words. He looked to the squire and said "Good job, lad. This was an important task that I had given to you, and you have done well." He turned to Sir Homwic and said "Sir Homwic, will you return to the manor and inform Sir Paryn and the other Knights of the situation with your squire? We may have to hasten the process of arming and training the peasantry. Then I will need you to send capable riders to Clay Bailey to learn what goes on to our east, and I do mean capable... Paragon knows what they might encounter on the roads and I fear it may not be just a small band of bandits. I will head north to meet with the Baron. His offer in particular perturbs me. How does he plan to extend protection to us when his domains lie in between the undead and Artois lands? Rather, he should be worried about protecting his own lands... and this sudden rebellion... something simply does not add up."

---

Summary:

1. Lothair, Brother Holan, 1 Squire, and 2 Heavy Infantry ride back north to see Baron Stromwood.

2. Sir Homwic, 1 Squire, and 2 Heavy Infantry ride back to the Artois manor to inform Sir Paryn and the other Knights of the situation.

3. Sir Homwic is to organize a group of capable riders to head east to Clay Bailey and learn what it is happening in the domains of Baron Caleyston.

Sir Homwic listens carefully to your instructions, supplying a quick nod every so often. "Yes, my lord," he replies. "Well... men make all sorts of promises when they're desperate for help," he shrugs. "I'll gather the best men I can and send them to Clay Bailey, to see what we can learn." He reunites with his squire, and takes two of your mounted soldiers before riding quickly back towards the du Artois manor to inform your other officers about the situation and carry out your instructions.

You turn around and begin to head to Stromwood Castle accompanied by Brother Holan, Sir Paryn's squire, and two mounted retainers. Passing through the Baron's personal domains on the way to the keep, you see that there are household soldiers patrolling the roads, in addition to local militias much like the one encountered at Darroworth.

Stromwood castle is soon seen in the distance. It is larger than the motte-and-bailey where the du Artois family rules from, containing several large stone towers, a sturdy gatehouse and portcullis, and more archers and crossbowmen posted.
1585019813081.png
You are received at the castle gates by a small party of serjeants, who offer to take the horses over to the stablemaster to be fed and watered. "Lord Stromwood will receive you in the great hall, my lord," one man says.

As the small party rode north to meet with Baron Stromwood, Lothair nodded and hailed the various foot patrols that they encountered. It was an odd sight especially seeing the militia men. It would make sense that they were watching for the undead, but at the same time... wasn't there a rebellion? Shouldn't most of the forces be concentrated to crush the rebellion as swiftly as possible? Perhaps, that was why the Baron sought du Artois aid in the rebellion... the baron didn't want to send his own men into battle for one reason or another, but if it were the men of another then that would serve his purposes quite well. Wary of the entire situation, Lothair continued to ride north to hear from the man himself what his reasoning or thoughts were. Once the party arrived at the Castle, Lothair hailed the sergeants and dismounted. He looked to Sir Paryn's Squire and said "Tend to the horses and have them prepared to ride back south. Time is of the essence in these uncertain times." Thus, with the rest of his entourage, Lothair began to walk to the great hall to meet with the Baron.

The squire nods, and sees to it that the horses are prepared for the journey home, with some proper hay and water. The beasts have been stretching their legs a bit today, due to all the hasty riding.

After entering the great hall, you see the heraldry of House Stromwood in the form of their ceremonial shield hanging above the baronial seat, which is situated before a long oaken table.

1585073205632.png

A few other vassal families have their emblems displayed upon smaller shields, such as Harwood (of Harhold) bear, the cadet branch Strongwood (of Gremotte) axe, and the Pelkey (of Squire Top) feathers. As the barony has more knightly families than most care to count, their heraldry is not displayed in the great hall aside from Lord Angas Stromwood's main officers, such as the justice of the peace, steward, and captain. In addition to heraldry, some beasts from the barony's forests have their heads and antlers mounted in several spots.

You see Lord Stromwood sitting on the baronial seat. He is a tall, thin man with a graying stubble that never seemed to become a full beard. He is dressed in an embroidered linen robe and fine leather shoes. The nobleman looks tired, and his eyes are somewhat baggy.

"Salutations, Lord Artois," he greets upon your entrance. A servant with a pitcher of wine fills up his copper goblet, and moves over to fill up the similar vessels that have been placed on the long table for you and your men. The Baron continues to speak. "I welcome your noble lordship to my hall. I know of your commitments to Lord Caleyston, but you must understand that in these foreboding times, it might be wise for men like myself to look towards his neighbors for friendship."

Last edited:
Lothair bowed his head slightly in a sign of deference to the Baron and waited to be addressed first. Lothair listened carefully and replied "Thank you, Lord Stromwood, for your hospitality. I apologize for the haste and suddenness with which I came. I admittedly presumed that the cases of undead were limited to the area surrounding my lands. Little did I expect the cities to have already suffered a horrible fate. Yet, like you said, in these foreboding times, we must work with our friends and neighbors against the darkness that threatens to consume all, which is why I sent messengers here with all haste to warn you. Yet... that is what confuses me, your Eminence. How could anyone find this to be an appropriate time to begin a rebellion? More is at stake than autonomy and taxes... what does Lord Moulton desire from all this? He may be a perfidious traitor, yet surely he is not a fool?"

"Do not fret, Lord Artois. I appreciate the punctuality," Lord Stromwood tells you. He chuckles grimly. "I think the country lords all underwent similar revelations. This curse... it has come upon us very suddenly. As far as I know, all of the Bay of Calmayn is affected. Perhaps even all of Midduch- or perhaps the whole realm? Paragon knows." He sighed, shaking his head.

Your retainers glance at each other, seeming unnerved by the speculation.

The Baron continues. "All I know, is that this will bring about many changes. Our institutions will be tested." His eyes briefly shift towards Brother Holan, who stands nearby with his hands politely folded at his front. Lord Stromwood looks back to you. "Would you be willing to speak in a more private setting, Lord Artois?"

Lothair's brows furrowed slightly at the speculation. Paragon preserve them all if the curse was as widespread as the Baron suspected. "If what you suspect is true, then we face a dramatic upheaval and change in the coming months." he simply replied. Lothair noticed that the Baron eyed his companions, which soon led to a request that Lothair suspected would follow soon. Lothair nodded and turned to his retinue. "Get some rest and food. I will meet you all outside the Great Hall once my discussion with Lord Stromwood is over." Lothair waited for the men to leave the hall before he turned his attention to Lord Stromwood and said "As you requested, Lord Stromwood. I assume that what your Eminence wishes to discuss with me requires great discretion. Does this suffice or do you wish to retire to more private quarters?"

Your men retire from the hall after nodding in acknowledgement to your orders, and bowing to the nobles they were leaving in privacy.

Lord Stromwood nods. "This is fine, Lord Lothair," he says, remaining seated. "Now... these times are very dire. We are in Midduch, a land that has not known siege for many years. Our castles are, more often than not, very old... and although they may hold back the hordes of the undead, many are not properly stocked with long-term provisions." He sighs, tapping his fingers on his armrest. "With this damnable black weather, and looming threat of... ghouls," he says, through gritted teeth, "our spring planting and harvesting will be interrupted."

He seems to measure his words carefully as he speaks to you. "Now, I would love to bring my arms against these creatures, but I do not trust the shield wall to hold when my men finally face these walking carcasses." He rubs his eyes briefly. "I have, however, enlisted a certain specialist. A man from a... controversial, and ancient military order. A man who can... turn the undead away. You must understand that he has fully demonstrated this ability to me, and although, at a glance, it may seem as if his ilk are responsible for this whole curse, I do not believe he is."

Lothair nodded along with the Baron's words. He did speak the truth. The Midduch have long been left unperturbed by war other than the occasional rebellion. Yet, when the Baron began to bring euphemisms to his explanation, Lothair knew something was odd. "Your Eminence, while I am not certain of the man you speak of and am not certain if he should be trusted. I am certain of your judgement. Would you be willing to, at the very least, explain to me the details and why you believe that he may be trusted to aid us in these uncertain situations? I may not completely agree with you, yet your wisdom and experience are well known. Allow me to be privy to your thoughts, and I will listen despite how controversial it may seem. What is this ancient military order you speak of and more importantly... if he is talented in the dark arts... why do you not suspect that he is responsible or attempting to profit from this curse?"

The Baron seemed to brace himself for an adverse reaction, but now seems relieved that you are willing to listen. "This man hails from one of the old, black orders," he explains.

As a knight, you previously had some education on the history of the 'orders'. The modern institution of paladin(ly) and knightly societies goes back to the days of Aedor, when many circles of sorcery employed groups of early 'knights' and other servants that protected them whenever their spells proved insufficient. These were complex organizations; in addition to the sorcerors and knights, there were also many sergeant-brothers and other staff drawn from the ranks of commonfolk. The black schools of necromancy and warlockery also possessed such orders, but they were driven away shortly after Paragon worship was introduced by the late empire. The overall structure of these 'orders' was adopted by secular knights, as well as the church's sworn warriors.

Lord Stromwood elaborates on the case of his 'assistant'. "I do believe he has much to gain from this curse... but he is forsaking his cult," he says. "You see, he was led by... 'men' that peered too far into the Abyss, whereas he is still a living, breathing man. His masters sought to rob him of his humanity, and so now he seeks to stop their vile hordes from encroaching upon my domains, so long as I reward him sufficiently."

Lothair took a deep breath and sighed. "I do not know what to say about a man who has forsaken his own order. To me, it seems like the man has a pound of flesh to pay after staring into the abyss for too long and has second thoughts now that the tax collector has arrived. Perhaps, he seeks redemption, yet the fact that he seeks to materially profit from his "redemption"... your Eminence, I hope you understand why I do not trust this man. If he was truly repentant, then I would be more willing to trust this man despite breaking his oaths to his order. But this man... he reeks of the stench of an opportunist who will betray anyone if he suspects that he will profit from it. I advise caution, Lord Stromwood. You have good intentions, but this man does not. Has he at least provided you with useful information that you can act upon instead of just his 'services'?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back