• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom [LITERACY REQUIRED] Gauging interest for a currently-untitled multiverse/dice RP.

Welcome friend of mine! Have you come to join too?

Perhaps I shall, depending on the rules and regulations laid before me. What of thou, shikaisen? Art thou planning to stayeth here?

Well, to make things balanced, certain characters will have ability strengths and weaknesses; in addition to the dice system. Right now, the universes I want to have included as main portals are:

Ones that I can do independently:
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Pokemon [likely Hoenn or Alola]
  • Earthly Chaos [perilous situations on the real-world Earth; no attached series]
And ones that I cannot:
  • Warframe (I am pre-Second Dream)
  • Half-Life 2 (definitely good, but I haven't played the series yet)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (personally I don't take interest in it, but it seems to be a big draw)
  • Okami (same reason as HL2)
Any other universe suggestions can be freely made, so long as they're not too crazy.

Last edited:
Shadowlugia711 Shadowlugia711 Of course, go straight ahead!

Well, in fact, it turns out that I am additionally going to need help with the Half-Life 2 universe, as I am not confident in my read knowledge on the series since I have not played it.

Last edited:
I'm currently participating in an rp like this and it's quite fun with how off the wall it is. Questions I have for the op are the following.

Are we using an actual system for this since dice is involved? I understand the FATE system could probably handle something involving characters from different settings. Although I am entirely unfamiliar with the system beyond that.

What is the power ceiling on this? Are you going to disallow planet busters like any DBZ character or reality manipulators like Franklin Richards?

How would powers effect dice rolls? How much of a bonus would someone who is super strong have over a normal guy?

How will we keep rolls above board to prevent cheating? Does this site have a built in dice roller? Or would we be using something like Roll20?

What is the power ceiling on this? Are you going to disallow planet busters like any DBZ character or reality manipulators like Franklin Richards?

This is always a burning question of mine in multifandoms. I'm almost never allowed to play characters I usually like to play because they're just too powerful. I don't power-game or anything, but it's a struggle nonetheless.

I'm currently participating in an rp like this and it's quite fun with how off the wall it is. Questions I have for the op are the following.

Are we using an actual system for this since dice is involved? I understand the FATE system could probably handle something involving characters from different settings. Although I am entirely unfamiliar with the system beyond that.

How would powers effect dice rolls? How much of a bonus would someone who is super strong have over a normal guy?

How will we keep rolls above board to prevent cheating? Does this site have a built in dice roller? Or would we be using something like Roll20?

BillyGGruff BillyGGruff I just couldn't resist hopping back onto RpNation without starting up a multiverse RP like this. I have always loved manic crossovers. You can all freely ask questions about this.

The system used is not set in stone just yet, but I know that I will have stats and traits for each character in place, and based on those, it can add plus or minus on rolls such as attacking, defending, evading, and avoiding taunt rage. For rolls, we likely will be using wizards.com, but I might just use the RpNation dice roller to keep things under control, and to make sure no cheating occurs. I have not had the time to read up on the FATE system at the moment, but due to the unique settings and damage types, I reckon that it might be difficult to use it. Also, there will be 'criticals', for example, if you roll 20 or more on an attacking action, it will result in a critical hit, while if you roll 1 or less it will be a critical miss.

Some powers and abilities will, without about, be restricted or outright banned. As you mentioned, planet busters like DBZ would interrupt the setting altogether, and will be disallowed. Reality manipulation would be severely limited, for balance reasons. There will be a plot reason behind this, most likely. As for bonuses, it all depends on how you distribute your character's stats. I will explain how the stats work later.

BillyGGruff BillyGGruff I just couldn't resist hopping back onto RpNation without starting up a multiverse RP like this. I have always loved manic crossovers. You can all freely ask questions about this.

The system used is not set in stone just yet, but I know that I will have stats and traits for each character in place, and based on those, it can add plus or minus on rolls such as attacking, defending, evading, and avoiding taunt rage. For rolls, we likely will be using wizards.com, but I might just use the RpNation dice roller to keep things under control, and to make sure no cheating occurs. I have not had the time to read up on the FATE system at the moment, but due to the unique settings and damage types, I reckon that it might be difficult to use it. Also, there will be 'criticals', for example, if you roll 20 or more on an attacking action, it will result in a critical hit, while if you roll 1 or less it will be a critical miss.

Some powers and abilities will, without about, be restricted or outright banned. As you mentioned, planet busters like DBZ would interrupt the setting altogether, and will be disallowed. Reality manipulation would be severely limited, for balance reasons. There will be a plot reason behind this, most likely. As for bonuses, it all depends on how you distribute your character's stats. I will explain how the stats work later.

Even without planet busters and godlike reality manipulators we still need a more concrete gauge on what the upper limit of characters needs to be. I doubt people would want to pick a character that would be rendered obsolete by someone playing Superman or something.

How would this system account for the difference between someone who can lift a few hundred pounds against someone who can lift 100 tons or more? Or the difference in speed between a normal guy and Quicksilver (the flash is probably out cause he moves so fast light almost stands still in comparison)

Even without planet busters and godlike reality manipulators we still need a more concrete gauge on what the upper limit of characters needs to be. I doubt people would want to pick a character that would be rendered obsolete by someone playing Superman or something.

How would this system account for the difference between someone who can lift a few hundred pounds against someone who can lift 100 tons or more? Or the difference in speed between a normal guy and Quicksilver (the flash is probably out cause he moves so fast light almost stands still in comparison)

Oh, these questions are seemingly difficult to answer. Well, there isn't a true power ceiling, but things that are deemed 'too powerful' are restricted, limited, or outright disallowed, as I have mentioned. This is to give the enemies, and other roleplayers, a fair chance against your character, even though most of the NPCs are defeated easily nonetheless. One that can lift a few hundred pounds would likely be given an average or below average Strength stat, meaning their roll is either not affected or gets a -1, and ones that can lift several tons would have an exceptional Strength stat, giving them either a +2 or +3. I haven't gotten a solid stat distribution system just yet, hence why it might vary.

Oh, these questions are seemingly difficult to answer. Well, there isn't a true power ceiling, but things that are deemed 'too powerful' are restricted, limited, or outright disallowed, as I have mentioned. This is to give the enemies, and other roleplayers, a fair chance against your character, even though most of the NPCs are defeated easily nonetheless. One that can lift a few hundred pounds would likely be given an average or below average Strength stat, meaning their roll is either not affected or gets a -1, and ones that can lift several tons would have an exceptional Strength stat, giving them either a +2 or +3. I haven't gotten a solid stat distribution system just yet, hence why it might vary.

Are you sure a discrepancy of only a few points would accurately show the difference in ability between the two people in this scenario? Like, I do not care what you roll, Joe Shmoe is not going to be beating the Hulk in an arm wrestling contest, the strength discrepancy between them is just too vast. There are systems that can manage things like this, but they are understandably very complicated and involved. Like the aforementioned FATE system.

Right now there are so many variables not being answered by your system. Like would a Speedster have more actions he can do per turn than a regular person? How many? The Flash can experience the lifetime of the universe before you even blink your eyes, does that mean he gets that many actions in a post (assuming anyone could write that much lol)? If the dice are going to be a thing, they need to really account for the differences between different tiers of character powers. That or we maybe should narrow down the power scaling to a more manageable level where only +2's and +3's would make sense.

Are you sure a discrepancy of only a few points would accurately show the difference in ability between the two people in this scenario? Like, I do not care what you roll, Joe Shmoe is not going to be beating the Hulk in an arm wrestling contest, the strength discrepancy between them is just too vast. There are systems that can manage things like this, but they are understandably very complicated and involved. Like the aforementioned FATE system.

Right now there are so many variables not being answered by your system. Like would a Speedster have more actions he can do per turn than a regular person? How many? The Flash can experience the lifetime of the universe before you even blink your eyes, does that mean he gets that many actions in a post (assuming anyone could write that much lol)? If the dice are going to be a thing, they need to really account for the differences between different tiers of character powers. That or we maybe should narrow down the power scaling to a more manageable level where only +2's and +3's would make sense.

Well, frankly, not everything is going to make complete sense. Sure, a Resistance Rebel dude would have his arm broken if the Hulk challenged him to an arm wrestle, but to give a character ~+6 in Strength-based rolls might be a bit too powerful? Like I said... I can't make this work myself.

And as for multiple actions per turn, well, a character with faster speed would have that, but the limit would probably be 3-4 actions per turn with the max speed stat. This would come at the sacrifice of other stats, however. Frankly, Flash-level speed will not be allowed, since that would not be balanced whatsoever. This RP is supposed to give enemies a chance.

Probably as evidenced with your intense discontent with me, and my system, I need to rework this with some help.

Well, frankly, not everything is going to make complete sense. Sure, a Resistance Rebel dude would have his arm broken if the Hulk challenged him to an arm wrestle, but to give a character ~+6 in Strength-based rolls might be a bit too powerful? Like I said... I can't make this work myself.

And as for multiple actions per turn, well, a character with faster speed would have that, but the limit would probably be 3-4 actions per turn with the max speed stat. This would come at the sacrifice of other stats, however. Frankly, Flash-level speed will not be allowed, since that would not be balanced whatsoever. This RP is supposed to give enemies a chance.

Probably as evidenced with your intense discontent with me, and my system, I need to rework this with some help.
It's not intense discontent so much as I think your system is not geared for what you want to do. I am completely down for a multiverse rp, I'm in one right now and it is a hoot and a half. However that one doesn't have dice involved. The way conflicts are decided in that game is we hash it out via pm and stack our powers against each other, usually there is a pretty clear victor. Then we WWE it for the group, making it fun to read but making the outcome ultimately scripted. Winning and losing aren't all that important in that game as story progression is. There are just some characters who are going to win in a fight, while others are better in other areas. Once the groundwork is decided and everyone is fine with their placement in the tiers it works really smoothly. It's more about the hijinks at that point than who is stronger than who.

Once you add dice into the equation though, that is where things get....well dicey. Once rng is involved for something like this, you need a complicated system to match. Personally I'd just axe the dice entirely and just do the decisions via pm for 1 on 1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back