• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom [LITERACY REQUIRED] Gauging interest for a currently-untitled multiverse/dice RP.

It's not intense discontent so much as I think your system is not geared for what you want to do. I am completely down for a multiverse rp, I'm in one right now and it is a hoot and a half. However that one doesn't have dice involved. The way conflicts are decided in that game is we hash it out via pm and stack our powers against each other, usually there is a pretty clear victor. Then we WWE it for the group, making it fun to read but making the outcome ultimately scripted. Winning and losing aren't all that important in that game as story progression is. There are just some characters who are going to win in a fight, while others are better in other areas. Once the groundwork is decided and everyone is fine with their placement in the tiers it works really smoothly. It's more about the hijinks at that point than who is stronger than who.

Once you add dice into the equation though, that is where things get....well dicey. Once rng is involved for something like this, you need a complicated system to match. Personally I'd just axe the dice entirely and just do the decisions via pm for 1 on 1's.

Personally, I really am not a fan of scripting it like such, and not involving a dice system. To me, actual, deep on-the-spot conflicts between characters and their NPC counterparts are just as important as story progression is. No matter the odds, I will make it fair enough to work. In fact, there is a Smash Bros roleplaying board that has had a system like this in place for years, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head.

Personally, I really am not a fan of scripting it like such, and not involving a dice system. To me, actual, deep on-the-spot conflicts between characters and their NPC counterparts are just as important as story progression is. No matter the odds, I will make it fair enough to work. In fact, there is a Smash Bros roleplaying board that has had a system like this in place for years, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head.

Smash bro's characters are also pretty balanced (relatively speaking). They aren't as powerful as their canon counterparts and they all are capable of knocking each other out of the ring. Pikachu has just as much chance of winning as Bowser does cause everybody is brought to an even competitive level.

This could work if something similar happened to powerful characters. Bringing the mountains and valleys closer together so to speak so everyone can compete if you truly intend to have dice involved.

Powerful characters would be nerfed pretty hard in order to function in this "gamified" rp. It would basically be a Smashbros rp but for the multiverse as a whole, which could work with some more fleshing out of the dice system.

Also I prefer the dice system, prescrpited fights are rather boring if you're part of the fight cuz then you already know the outcome

Also I prefer the dice system, prescrpited fights are rather boring if you're part of the fight cuz then you already know the outcome
I've found battles in rps that have fighting without knowing the outcome beforehand get messy real quick. It gets competitive and people get angry and the whole point of rping is just lost in the shuffle. Rping is a collaborative story, who wins or loses is not as important as telling a good story. Plus the fights can be much more over the top when you and your "opponent" knows the outcome, which makes it fun for the other players who do not know who is going to win to read. That's why I compare it to WWE. The fight is happening, the audience is entertained, but the fighters themselves know the outcome and have no real hard feelings about it.

I've found battles in rps that have fighting without knowing the outcome beforehand get messy real quick. It gets competitive and people get angry and the whole point of rping is just lost in the shuffle. Rping is a collaborative story, who wins or loses is not as important as telling a good story. Plus the fights can be much more over the top when you and your "opponent" knows the outcome, which makes it fun for the other players who do not know who is going to win to read. That's why I compare it to WWE. The fight is happening, the audience is entertained, but the fighters themselves know the outcome and have no real hard feelings about it.
Trust me, I prefer to never know the outcomes I like surprises

Well, in response to both of you, the roleplay is largely going to be against NPCs controlled by the mods, like me, and most of those are destined to be weaker. Player vs. player will probably be few and far between. And, well, Smash Bros./MvC balance is what I was aiming for, really.

Ahahaha, I'd quite coincidentally just returned to RPNation, can't remember the last time I was on here. Same reasons, chap - life and all that bullocks. I'm interested in all this and what you're presenting thus far, so do make notifications once this RP is good to go!

I see many are still confused as to how your implied dice system works - I'd guess it's comparable to that in D&D?

It's not intense discontent so much as I think your system is not geared for what you want to do. I am completely down for a multiverse rp, I'm in one right now and it is a hoot and a half. However that one doesn't have dice involved. The way conflicts are decided in that game is we hash it out via pm and stack our powers against each other, usually there is a pretty clear victor. Then we WWE it for the group, making it fun to read but making the outcome ultimately scripted. Winning and losing aren't all that important in that game as story progression is. There are just some characters who are going to win in a fight, while others are better in other areas. Once the groundwork is decided and everyone is fine with their placement in the tiers it works really smoothly. It's more about the hijinks at that point than who is stronger than who.

Once you add dice into the equation though, that is where things get....well dicey. Once rng is involved for something like this, you need a complicated system to match. Personally I'd just axe the dice entirely and just do the decisions via pm for 1 on 1's.

This. By the way, what rp are you in right now? Sounds like a grand time.

Might I suggest an actual FATE-like gimmick for the plot? You summon characters across fiction, but I guess you could say they technically aren't the real deal—they're more like life-like magical replicas. This'd explain balancing if you're set on that.

This. By the way, what rp are you in right now? Sounds like a grand time.

Might I suggest an actual FATE-like gimmick for the plot? You summon characters across fiction, but I guess you could say they technically aren't the real deal—they're more like life-like magical replicas. This'd explain balancing if you're set on that.

Unfortunately it is on a fandom specific site.

It would have to be something like that to explain why the characters aren't as strong as they would be. Personally I'd rather there just be a power ceiling so we know what kind of characters to pick instead of nerfing.

Well, it's sort of a gamified roleplay, and that being said, I don't want to leave anyone out, if they are not familiar with any other characters. So, I will probably create a reason for weakening rather than excluding others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back