• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Levelmasters - A Complex Level-Based RP With a Twist(Interest Check)

Diamond655

Do You Wanna Have a Bad Time?
This RP will have a GM-based level system. Do more actions, gain more levels. But levels alone are not enough. Every 100 levels(which get harder to gain as you go on) will achieve a new "Rank". The ranks will be:

Beginner

Basic

Intermediate

Veteran

Master

In that order.

You may also have an infinite amount of characters, none geared to one side or one theme, however, the main "hot topic" of this thing will be futuristic.

The world will also be balanced out. Wit the same levels and ranking, a horse could be the same speed as a jet. No one knows how that happens. But it does.

There is also a hint of a balanced system happening; while more characters on one side means more power for that side, it could also be harder to control all these characters at once. Those more used to complex roleplays could handle a bit more characters than someone who's used to the usual "make a signup, type in the actions, that's it" type RPer.

So...What do YOU think of the idea?

This is a sketch. The seed of an idea, at most, at best.

I think you'll need - among other things - an actual setting and context for this to go anywhere.

Grey said:
This is a sketch. The seed of an idea, at most, at best.
I think you'll need - among other things - an actual setting and context for this to go anywhere.
I kind of agree with what Grey said. However, brainstomirng and coming up with creative ideas is what I do (maybe even a little too much). I`d be more than happy to give a hand should want it.

The location of the world...This is what makes it a mainly futuristic world. I was waiting for more people to be interested to share this, but here goes...

The Combine: One of the two warring factions. The heroes. Currently having troubles with the opponents, the Imperials, who have recently shortened Combine borderlines.

The Imperials: The evil side of the war. Constantly growing across the world. Commonly enslaves Combine soldiers, either putting them to work in a factory or material gathering station, or sending them to war as Imperial soldiers. Currently the greater power of the war.

Meanwhile, the base story is simple; The Combine and the Imperials are at war, and you can create a character for either side.

Generally, I think sharing the details of your game idea is how you get people interested. I've read over both your posts here several times, and I still have almost no idea what you're expecting I'd do as a hypothetical player.

Honestly, the starting story here isn't supposed to be shaped by the GM of the game...I want the story to be shaped in-RP by the players.

In order for players to shape a story, they need a narrative context - your setting, you see. If you want them to build the setting for you, you need to explain your thematic or aesthetic intent in more detail so they know what work they should be doing for you. See also; the kind of story that you intend to emerge from this RP.

The rank and leveling elements are especially weird and pointless without that context.

EDIT:

Why are the Combine and Imperials at war?

Why are the Combine heroic? Why are the Imperials not?

Why did they call themselves the Combine? Why is there an Empire?

Is this interplanetary, or confined to one world, or even one continent?

Is this Earth's future, or an invented world?

Is it sci-fantasy, soft sci-fi, or hard sci-fi?

What's the general level of technology like?

What cultural touchstones are there?

Last edited by a moderator:
...This is a lot easier on other websites, for reasons I cannot explain, but I'll try...

The leveling context is explained by modern science in-world; the physics of this solar system is different when compared to that of Earth. Your obtaining of more experience allows the strange physics of the solar system to increase your abilities, and maybe even allow you to take on an "Ultimate" form. Ultimate Forms are pretty much beefed-up versions of yourself, and unlocked at Veteran ranking.

Those who study levels, named "Experists," have labeled the experience with 5 different "ranks": Beginner, Basic, Intermediate, Veteran, and Master.

Everything in the world is built by levels; vehicles, people, technology...Everything is inspired by levels. There is no limit to the strength of most.

The thematics and aesthetics are simple; you can create your own areas, but the main ones are themed by futuristic intent. I could post an example picture of the appearance of the cities, if needed.

Alright, so it's a world where leveling is an actual mechanism which applies to everything. That's interesting! That's a starting point.

Futuristic is an incredibly broad aesthetic, and not a real theme. The way things look can imply things about culture and values, but they don't define them.

It'd be as if someone who knows nothing about the USA asked you 'what is America like?' and you showed them a picture of the New York skyline.

Is it futuristic like Prometheus? Is it futuristic like Star Wars? Is it futuristic like Blade Runner? Is it futuristic like

Themes would be things like war, peace, humanity, the responsibilities of power, the results of hard labour, the fear of change, etc, etc.

So if everything is built on levels, how does that affect science and technology? How does it affect culture?

Do you have a mechanism for using those levels? It sounds like the embryonic form of an anime-inspired RPG system, which is fine but would require more to make, well, work.

See also: the questions in my previous post.

Yeah, that might be good. It sounds as though you have a lot of information about this setting that is... a collaborative effort somewhere else? The people here haven't been playing the same kinds of games as wherever that is, so the assumptions you can easily make about what to expect, you'll have to explain to folks who have never or rarely encountered these themes before. You're moving in a good direction, here.

So we have levels, and everything has levels, and really I'm getting a big Macross meets DBZ vibe from what you're telling me. So now, tell me how common Masters are. How over-the-top IS this world supposed to be? We can get into questions like how I level up my bicycle later, because first I want to know if half the population is flying around sneezing lightning-bolts.

It's more based off of the futuristic wars between the Combine and the Imperials than anything. The world is, well, absolutely insane. You level up by doing ANYTHING, but how hard it is to do the action will decide how many levels you get. The population is mostly normal, besides most of the Levelmaster-made characters. Other than that, the world is mostly peaceful, besides the previously-mentioned "Combine and Imperial warfare" thing. There are also a few things that are "built-in," and only need levels if you want to make them better.

No, I actually got the idea from another site's RP.

...ANYWAY...I could also share with you a rough draft of each type of thing's app. ((Vehicle apps, technology apps, building apps and character apps are all separate, to sum it up. Whole cities can fall into "building apps," or it can be a central, yet special building.))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back