Let's talk about our favorite retro games

Stormyface

CADIA STANDS
I'm talking about OLD games, not stuff that came out two years ago.

My favorite currently would be Thief 2. Because you actually break into houses rather than corridors with maybe two branching rooms. The first mission's goal is practically right next to the entrance, but you'll miss out on pretty much everything if you just rush there.

Hmmmm....Probably Super Mario Bros, I wasted a lot of time on that old NES game. Wolfenstein 3d would be a close second.

Your definition of "Retro" is pretty new...meh.

If we're talking about old old stuff, I really like Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX computer way back in the 80's. The only way to really conventionally play it is through a bonus game in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, though.

I'm also (obviously) a fan of the Touhou games that came out on PC-98 in the 90's, even though I haven't managed to beat a single one.

If we're talking about the 2000's...

I'm a massive fan of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on Gamecube, and I really like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox. They were both released around the same time, and they are hands down some of the best games I have ever played. Thousand Year Door is still my favorite game ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because it wasn't retro then doesn't mean it's not retro now.

2000 was 16 years ago

the oldest game I ever played I think was tiny tank. PSX game.

I can't believe 2000 was 16 years ago, almost 17 now...

I forgot the name of it, but when I was younger I really loved that one Digimon game where you took care of one on the original playstation. I usually accidently turned it into a gooey slime. My uncle turned it into that fire bird though. I remember being so jealous LOL

(Remember how the console was grey instead of black? I actually liked that color better.)

I forgot the name of it, but when I was younger I really loved that one Digimon game where you took care of one on the original playstation. I usually accidently turned it into a gooey slime. My uncle turned it into that fire bird though. I remember being so jealous LOL

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the first Digimon World game. If so, yeah, that game was awesome. Love it to death. Just exploring with your Digimon following behind was great.

I have a really soft spot for the only Castlevania game on Game Boy. It was slow, buggy, boring, and just frustrating all around. It's a horrible game and a terrible representation of the series. For some reason my Mom really latched onto it though, played through it the entire way through and got into a hype fueled rant over it for a while. Have a lot of good memories of that.

If we're talking hardcore retro  being 80s -90s, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft hands down.

Ok! Harvest moon FoMT, Advance wars 2, lego Star Wars, FF 1&2, and Pokémon emerald. All of em are on the gba

Paper Mario (N64). It was the first strategy and RPG game I've played, and I really enjoyed the mechanics and story. Preparing for battles with items, equipping Mario with different badges, improving your partners' skills...Then later came Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door (Gamecube), which I'm not surprised I'm not the first to mention it here, and it just improved everything.

Another game I spent a lot of my childhood playing was Perfect Dark (N64). I still play it to this day sometimes, it's a good source of fun when I don't feel like playing strategy games. Watching enemies attack each other with the Psychosis Gun never gets boring.

The Mario Party series too, though I haven't played as much multiplayer as I'd have liked, as that's what's really fun about these games. When I was younger I'd sometimes persuade my parents to play, and more recently I managed to get some acquaintances to play a few rounds. Wish I had more chances to play multiplayer.

And lastly, I couldn't do the dishonor of not mentioning the N64 Legend of Zelda games. The story always kept me interested, and it was saddening when I beat those games. I specially liked the darker atmosphere of Majora's Mask, I think it's what made me realize I liked that feeling in stories.

If you haven't noticed yet, total Nintendo here.

Now excuse me while I try to recover from this Nostalgia trip...

Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast was basically the first proper video game I ever played (none of that DX guff).

We overplayed it so much I could get good odds on clearing Emerald Coast blindfolded. My older brother got stuck on the Egg Viper boss for months while I was getting the hang of it, eventually I caught up and beat it and the game first.

Also Freelancer we modded the hell out of that one.

Abe's Odyssey("Wahahhahaha" when he falls lol. Game was hilarious.) 

Tomb Raider 2 and 3 (When Lara Croft had giant squares for boobs)

Metal Gear Solid (Sneak, sneak, oh shit he saw me. Great you alerted the Calvary. *Turns off and restarts level*

Silent Hill(The original which scared the crap out of me. The newer ones are meh compared to how scary the first one was.)

Croc(I never figured out what actually Croc was. Lizard, Dinosaur or a hybrid.)

Final Fantasy 7 and 8(I actually played 8 more but both were decent for that time period.)

Twisted Metal (Muahahaha destruction.)

Tony Hawk Pro Skateboarding (Yes, I found all the secret rooms)

Resident Evil Directors Cut and Resident Evil 2(Recently beat Resident Evil Directors cut without saving or dying because my memory card wouldn't work. Mighty proud of that.)

Army Men (lol it was addicting)

I'm not old at all lol.

Just did some research which made me realize internet barely existed when I started my video game adventures and made me feel older. Anyways Croc is a form of yoshi off of Mario but nintindo rejected the idea and they went to playstation but they couldn't use the mario brand....learn something new everyday.

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time (tried it on the n64, but have the 3ds remake)

Donkey kong 64 (n64)

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 (gamecube originally, but got them on the ps3 as our gamecube is almost dead.)

Ohhh, let's not forget about super mario 64

I'm also a total nintendo fan. 

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time (tried it on the n64, but have the 3ds remake)

Donkey kong 64 (n64)

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 (gamecube originally, but got them on the ps3 as our gamecube is almost dead.)

Ohhh, let's not forget about super mario 64

I'm also a total nintendo fan. 

Can't believe I forgot about Donkey Kong.

And remember Street Fighter. I was kid when arcades were huge, so I have a love for Galaxy, Pac Man and mortal combat when they were on the big box.

Can't believe I forgot about Donkey Kong.

And remember Street Fighter. I was kid when arcades were huge, so I have a love for Galaxy, Pac Man and mortal combat when they were on the big box.

Arcades were going out of style before I ever got to them, but plus side, I've been watching my parents play video games since I was born. 

(I hear many stories of me being calmed down/ lulled to sleep by the sounds of super mario 64 lol)

Arcades were going out of style before I ever got to them, but plus side, I've been watching my parents play video games since I was born. 

(I hear many stories of me being calmed down/ lulled to sleep by the sounds of super mario 64 lol)

I wonder if my kids will be the same lol. 

Ah, looks like I forgot to mention Resident Evil 2. First horror game I played, even though the game gave you guns I was scared most of the time. That little room with the one-way mirror anyone? I had to take a break after that one. The overall gameplay was quite enjoyable too with the puzzles and such, and the atmosphere as well.

That's unfortunate. There was nothing better then going to an arcade with my parents, this curly haired unimposing little kid, pulling out a milk crate to stand on to see the screen, and just demolishing high school and college students in Marvel vs Capcom. Now we have online battles but it isn't the same as robbing someone of a quarter.

@Ammy haha. That would have been epic to see. Sadly I'm not very good at competitive fighting games. 

Funny thing was looking back on it now I remember people getting pissed. Guess I stomped all over their ego, but I wasn't spiteful about it at the time. I just wanted to play as characters like Mega Man and Venom in a fighting game. Having played SF2 and various other titles onward for literally every day of my life and that point built up my basics though. Kind of ingrained to me at that point.

Thing about fighting games is that when you're starting out you're gonna lose. It's an investment. I like to sink my teeth into them pretty deep, but for your first one you really stick with you'll probably be losing for several months before it kind of just ends up "clicking". Anyone who is stubborn enough can come out with a fair amount of skill. My favorite genre by far just for how "pure" it is. Only you and one other person. If you lose you either played badly or they were just amazing and blew you away. No derpy team members holding you back (thx Overwatch), no random shenanigans or map factors getting in your way.

Then there's all the mindgames. Yomi is a real thing. How many steps ahead of your opponent do you plan for and act upon? The psychology of it all is just really fun. Buuuut I'll quit ranting about that here, could write a book on the topic if I really put the effort in. Going back to my previous post, MvC is another older game that has a special place in my heart from the arcade scene and I'm happy to see the series isn't dead with the announcement of the UMvC3 port and MvCI being revealed.

@Amber10170221 I'm pretty sure my kids will. Haha. 

@Ammy haha. That would have been epic to see. Sadly I'm not very good at competitive fighting games. 

The arcade games only had two buttons and a toggle stick. Lol it wasn't a lot of effort besides pushing the buttons really fast and then they came out with three buttons. We were like oooooooo....a shiny new button. All the new button did on street fighter was block.

I was about 12-13 when they are started shutting straight up arcades down. My five brothers who are all older than me got to experience them a lot more than I did as it was the hang out place for the high school kids. I was the cute baby sister they brought along to score numbers but hey, they gave me a bunch of quarters to pretend they were the best big brothers ever. One of my brothers is actually married to a girl he met at the arcade lol 

@Ammy I enjoy mortal Kombat x, and injustice. But I tend to be team random button mash, because even if I can figure out the correct button combo for a special attack, I can't replicate more than once or twice, by accident.

The arcade games only had two buttons and a toggle stick. Lol it wasn't a lot of effort besides pushing the buttons really fast and then they came out with three buttons. We were like oooooooo....a shiny new button. All the new button did on street fighter was block.

I wish it was that easy now. Haha. I've been in a couple "arcades" (one was only like... A dozen arcade games in some wannabe Chuck e cheeses, the other was better, but still nowhere near a classic arcade.)

I've never really liked fighting games. I dunno if it's some kind of frame of mind that I'm missing or what, but it doesn't really click with me. I also don't like it when you can learn every tiny detail and trick in the game and still get beaten by somebody button-mashing. A la Smash Bros.

I've never really liked fighting games. I dunno if it's some kind of frame of mind that I'm missing or what, but it doesn't really click with me.

That's fair. It's not for everyone to be sure.

I also don't like it when you can learn every tiny detail and trick in the game and still get beaten by somebody button-mashing. A la Smash Bros.

All about fundamentals. Doesn't matter if you know every trick in the book if you don't build off those, and they're pretty much the same across every fighting game. I've lost count of how many times I can see someone's mind just break when being a one-trick pony doesn't really pan out any longer, and as someone who regularly plays Smash 4 at a competitive level I can assure that button-mashing doesn't work after a point.

Which reminds me, big mention to the Smash series in its entirety for some of my favorite games of the past. Helped me through a really rough period of my life. Wouldn't be an overstatement to claim that it's saved my life in a way, so I'm very thankful to Iwata, Sakurai, and HAL for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back