• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

SilverFlight

Tende altum, volare altius
Supporter
From the very beginning we are told this: Magic is a living thing, and it wants to kill you...

Characters
Main

Wyld banner.jpg

To be a mage is to be a harnesser of this force. To have a will and mind strong enough to bend it, without it drowning you in itself; consuming you, body, and mind. It is wild and terrible and dangerous.
Everything has magic, but not everyone has the ability to control it. William the Starteller once wrote:

“When you take hold of it, it takes hold of you too, the searing chaos of it folds into you like a torrent and your will is the only lifeline you have to the harbour of your sanity…”

When you learn to bend it however, it becomes a part of you. It is your magic, but only as much as a wild animal is yours. You can own it, harness it, lead it, but will always be wild, always looking for a chance to beat you. Magic is undefinable in its raw form, and unusable. To use it, to bend it, you must first give it form and we do this through the magical tracks:
Naturally, we have strict rules when dealing with magic.

Rule 1. All mages shall practice one and only one school or “track” of magic. By nature, the magics are unique each one, and no master has ever controlled more.

Rule 2. All those with The Potential must attend the Institution’s academy for the magical arts. Each child is tested at the age of 10 and if they pass, they are taken away for eight years and taught to develop their control to become proper mages. They pick their magic track in the first year and they are bound to it for life.

Rule 3. No untrained person is permitted to use magic. Failure to adhere to this rule is a death sentence, that is…if the attempt at magic does not kill you first.

Rule 4. No one, absolutely no one is ever permitted to engage Wyld Magic. This is a magic of a dark nature, untamed and unpurified. It is chaos incarnate, sprung from the soul of the planet and it will never fail not just to consume the user, but take the surrounding area up to a mile and turn it into chaos too. The Wyld Wood is a product of this magic, its depths sinister and seeking. It spawns dark creatures, and creates sickness in the mind. No one uses Wyld magic, no one ever goes into the Wyld Wood.

This day, the world of Akonis is awash with problems: The Wyld Wood is creeping across the islands of the archipelago, slowly consuming them one by one. Wyld mages have begun to appear, mages no one has heard of, their minds intact, their power just as strong as academy mages, but different, they cannot use the magics proper mages use. In hand with that, the mage gift unearthed in towns and villages is beginning to fade, fewer and fewer children passing the test. Looking at our capital, Krowne, you may not see the problems. It is a glittering walled city filled with magic, and the technology that magic has brought, but everyone knows the secret: It sits in the back room of every mind like an unwanted guest. The magic…is dying.

It is not a peaceful, fading death, not graceful or poetic like a king in his shroud. This death is violent, and angry. This death is wounded, and savage. The magic is thrashing, at one point too weak, another, too strong. Several of the best have already died in casting for the sheer unpredictability of it. The only thing that seems to make a casting more stable is for two or more mages to combine their casting. A process called Weaving.

The call has been made, the eight High Mages of Krowne have summoned their best and brightest from the Institution to work together, go into the Wyld Wood and uncover what is happening to the magic, and, if they can, to restore it. The trek will be fraught with danger, and the mages involved will be tested to their direst limits. On this journey they will learn about each other, about their abilities, and just perhaps, they will learn the true nature of magic…

• This is a high-fantasy adventure that takes inspiration from rpg games like Dungeons and Dragons, but the story concept and lore are all original. I hope to build the thread on character development with added main plot elements I will drop as we play.

This is an advanced roleplay for more experienced writers who are 18+, not for the content, but for the creativity and maturity I am looking for to help build the world and story.
    All of RPN rules apply. I am looking for a handful of consistent, dedicated writers who will stick with the thread for a long time. I am looking for at LEAST 1 post per week, but I would like the pacing to be a little faster than that. Posts will be at least one paragraph in length and be well-written with only minor typos and grammatical errors. Grace will be given to those who do not have English as their first language.

I want to be very clear about this: if you are not 100% sure you can commit to a once-a-week post in your most busy times, do not apply to this thread. My goal is to keep it alive. If your inspiration is flagging, I expect you to talk about it and see if the other players can’t help you get it back, either by changing the dynamics or story etc. I am not looking for people who dip as soon as they lose their initial interest. I am looking for people who work together to make the rp fun and interesting for everyone involved.
    The OOC will be on discord, with a channel for side-interactions to accommodate more active players who want to develop their characters, or for interpersonal plot advancement etc. The discord will be under the same rules as RPN.

All players will be expected to fill out a character sheet that will be provided with the posting of the thread. You can add more to the categories but cannot take any away. You can code it however you like, but if I can’t read it, I will not accept it. All characters must be approved before you may post.
    If your character hails from an island you can write the lore for that island if you like. I will be writing lore for the capital and for several other islands besides, for story purposes. I can add the lore of your character’s island to the lore page when it is done.

Because the Wyld magic will essentially be more powerful, I am limiting the number of Wyld mages to three, and the applicants must provide a writing sample with their character sheets. The Wyld mages will be key to the plot, so these players must be the most consistent and the most creative. These players will be given lore that I will not give to the others players, so it will be their responsibility to introduce it to the players in interesting ways.

Character limits

The characters here will be fully-trained mages out of school, so at least 18, but if you want an experienced character, they’ll need to be mid-to-late twenties at least. There are certainly spells to make you stay physically young however, so appearance can be variable, but these spells are only accessible after graduation. Basically, there are no characters who look or are under 18 here. None.

The power limits for a character casting alone are comparable to being able to set a small house on fire, or transforming into a beast three times your size for an hour. Casting with one other mage doubles that power, three mages triple it etc. So, it is in your character’s best interests to be accessible for Weaving.

Personality-wise, you character is expected to mesh at least in part with at least one or two other characters. Loners who don’t get along well with others or who don’t play as a team at least in part will be instantly rejected. This thread is about cooperation and playing off of one another to create a better story.

Players will be allowed 1 character to start and I am looking for about 8 dedicated players.

Play style

This thread will be written in third person past tense, and will be a freely-written adventure with only one mechanic that uses a die: When casting a spell alone in combat, a d6 is rolled: anything between 2-5 and the spell works exactly as planned. A 6 gives you too much power and something goes wrong, a 1 gives you no power and the spell fails. This is only in combat, and casting outside of a fight scene is up to the choice of the player casting. Weaving, generally always works, unless the characters are out of sync, but I’ll let you roleplay that.

Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
Lol, that's what I'd hoped, but perhaps I set the bar too high...

If I'm reading this correctly, all you're asking for is dedication, maturity, consistency, and legibility. I don't think this is reaching for the stars.

I'm interested in joining, if you're still recruiting!
Oh yes. It might take a while to recruit the needed party, I know I'm asking a lot with the posting requirements and quality, but if you're willing to hang about, I want to try and get this off the ground.

Considering something in the vein of Karlach for this. Perhaps a mage quietly pulled from the academy to work for someone in need of off the books "fire power".
Wyld magic could be an interesting fit for this concept, as it would also add an extra layer why the character's former "employer" might want to make sure she is recaptured. Could also be funny seeing her try to not use the power or pass it off as something else.
Blood magic is another good option. Further character development could see her exploring the beneficial side of blood magic more.
Then finally, Energy has an appeal as while I don't have as many story hooks for it as the other two, there is something deeply satisfying about playing around with a fire and/or lightning mage playing the blaster.

Considering something in the vein of Karlach for this. Perhaps a mage quietly pulled from the academy to work for someone in need of off the books "fire power".
Wyld magic could be an interesting fit for this concept, as it would also add an extra layer why the character's former "employer" might want to make sure she is recaptured. Could also be funny seeing her try to not use the power or pass it off as something else.
Blood magic is another good option. Further character development could see her exploring the beneficial side of blood magic more.
Then finally, Energy has an appeal as while I don't have as many story hooks for it as the other two, there is something deeply satisfying about playing around with a fire and/or lightning mage playing the blaster.
That sounds like an interesting idea, we'll have to find a way to convince the academy mages in our party not to turn her in on sight as a Wyld mage, but there are many ways around that.

My character shall be a blood mage I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back