• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Aurin wandered a bit, traversing the hallways in what was more akin to pacing around the castle than simply roaming. He knew he was just biding himself a bit of time before actually seeking out Sergio to clue him in to Irvailde’s threats. He wrestled with it, even though he already knew he was going to rat the Lord out.

A year ago the knight would’ve sat by and listened to Irvailde rant and been content enough to not get involved in it. “Keep your mouth shut and your spear ready,” were words he lived by most days then. These days that was beginning to feel like a lifetime ago. Ever since he left the estate he’d been forced to find out more and more who he was on his own. At first he was terrified, but now he was cutting his losses. Each question he faced posed an answer more certain than the last. When it came to this, he had to be certain he was ready to turn over this chapter of his past and accept this end of it- and he was certain, but he wasn’t ready. Probably never would be, but there wasn’t much time left to hope for things to have gone differently. He would always be sorry for the ways he had failed Irvailde, but he could not apologize for where Irvailde was failing himself.

He fiddled meticulously with his hair, trying to get it to look more orderly than he currently felt. Dropping his hands he glanced down the hallway he was passing to catch just a glimpse of someone disappearing into the castle kitchen, and a large dark figure that could only be the Royal Doctor, facing the other direction. Nope. He promptly kept moving, finding that was his sign that he’d wasted enough time.

Aurin finally made his way over to where Sergio’s study was set up in the castle, uncertain if he’d even be there. He slowed a bit, approaching the door, and as he did it opened quickly, a servant slipped out hastily only looking at him briefly. The knight stood by and watched the servant hurry off. Okay, so he’s in there. He tossed his head to the side, letting out a short sigh. Let’s hope this is more helpful than not. He knocked lightly.

seasonedcat seasonedcat

1610578760595.png
~Sergio~
1610578836810.pngSergio gazed down at his tea, his tired eyes only got a moment before another knock came on his door. He raised an eyebrow as he glanced up, confused as to why his servant would be coming back so quickly, maybe it wasn't one? Confusion laced his appearance as he stood up. He felt pain in his legs as he rose up, the stiffness of not moving for so long. Ignoring the exhaustion that hung heavy in his limbs he went over to the door and opened it, wondering who had come to see him. Though he doubted it was anyone of interest or important since no one had really come to visit him yet.

He didn't bother to clean up his appearance due to him not thinking it was anyone important. He knew that his hair was dishevelled, and the bags under his eyes were harsh against his unusually pale skin. Not to mention his outfit that was far from his usual well put together get up. Without giving it much thought Sergio opened the door with a dull expression, turning to one of surprise at the sight of Aurin.

"Aurin? What brings you here?" he spoke in surprise, his appearance dawning on him and causing him to flush lightly, "My apologies for my appearance, work seems to have gotten the best of me." he spoke, offering a small nervous smile before he rubbed his hands on his pants to flush away his nervousness. "Come in, would you like some coffee or tea? Thankfully my servants just brought in a new brew so you don't have to worry about it being cold." he smiled lightly before glancing at his work area and seeing the many plates full of old, untouched food.

While Aurin entered behind him he gracefully moved the plates and other dishware off onto the bottom of the cart with his tea. "I wasn't expecting any guests my apologies for this mess." He said again, feeling heat creep onto his face that he struggled to contain. He felt the rage curl in his stomach at his embarrassment hating the way he felt shame creep in his bones. Shoving another plate onto the cart he passed a glance to Aurin, glancing at his face for a moment longer than necessary before turning back to working on cleaning up a place for Aurin to sit.
ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

Taking a step back from the door, Aurin pursed his lips. After a moment he heard some shuffling and straightened up a little. When Sergio did appear at the door it wasn’t surprising that he was caught off guard. The two had rarely had much conversation up to this point, and here Aurin was dropping in without a proper notice.

“Aurin? What brings you here?” Sergio asked, his face flustering. The knight was going to reply but caught himself doing a quick glance over at Sergio’s attire instead. Hair all out of place, shirt hanging open slightly, definitely not his usual look, except for when they were trudging through the woods maybe, but… Aurin averted his eyes quickly and rubbed the back of his neck as Sergio started apologizing.

“No, no-” he excused embarrassedly with a short chuckle. “I should be apologizing for intruding. I’m more than certainly the one at fault here.”

He accepted Sergio’s invitation inside, thanking him as he stepped past to enter. He tried not to dwell on the surroundings, which were about as scattered as one would expect if seeing the spymaster’s state was any indication as to how busy he had been. Aurin felt regret warm him over from being there as Sergio rushed around trying to make things presentable.

“Ah, no thank you, but I appreciate the offer.” He replied to Sergio about the tea. It looked like the spymaster needed it much more than him, but he stopped himself from mentioning that. Sergio apologized again for the mess, but Aurin waved it away with a short response. “Really, don’t worry yourself over it.”

For a moment he caught Sergio lingering on him. Maybe he was waiting to see why he was there so suddenly? Aurin met his eyes briefly but cleared his throat as he looked towards the door which was shut behind them now. He turned back, rubbing his hands together as he spoke.

“I know you weren’t expecting me. To be honest, I hoped I wouldn’t have to come here for the reason I have,” He started. He sighed, feeling the nerves getting the better of him, but he had already come this far. “For some time now, since we returned from Kasai’s temple, I’ve been in correspondence with my previous charge, Lord Irvailde. Not my best decision, I’ll admit, but, well...”

“I believe he’s conspiring with some of the other noble lords heading the revolts. At least, I’m fairly certain he’s doing so financially- but where he has money he has power and he's always had plenty of both.” He paused for a moment to take a seat where Sergio had cleared a spot for him. His elbows rested on his knees as he leaned forward in the chair, hands clasped in front of him.

“I know next to nothing about your operation here,” He admitted with a chuckle. “I suppose it should be that way. But I do know Irvailde, and I know he likes to talk. He likes to brag, he’s easily provoked, especially now it seems… I don’t know. I thought you should know in case it might help you get any useful information. I’m sure things haven't been easy for you lately...”

seasonedcat seasonedcat

1612477651950.png
~Sergio~
interacting| ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain |
1612479669831.png
Sergio flushed, knowing he should stop fussing but feeling too jittery to do so. He placed the last dishes away before standing up and seating himself on the edge of his desktop. He let out a sigh at the information, rubbing his temple lightly with his left hand. He placed his chin on his hand for a moment as he stared at Aurin with a blank expression. Most of the information he received was loosely known by himself as well as matched suspicions. Of course, receiving direct confirmation is all superior to mere speculation in his line of work. Especially if you want to act on the information.

"Every noble and their dog seems to be playing along with the same story," he muttered bitterly. The sentence had mainly intended to be for himself, though he spoke it loud enough for the other male to easily hear, "Of course he is. Why wouldn't he be? It would be utterly preposterous to think that maybe something could go right for once in this city. To have nobles act in a way that was something other than utter idiocy and make everything a living shit show-" he was cut off by the loud slamming of his hand onto his own desk.

He suddenly looked up wide-eyed, realizing that the other male was still here. He felt his moment of rage drip away like water and leave him with a lonely heavy feeling in his chest. He placed his head in his hands, pulling at his hair angrily. Not at anything other than himself this time, a form of punishment he had grown used to. "I have to give you my sincere apologies, sleep has eluded me as of recently and I just let my temper get the best of me..." he trailed off, one look at the man's face sent his heart plummeting to his feet.

Of course, now of all times, this had to happen. His emotions had to do this. Do what they always do. Mess around with him, embarrass him... though of course if it weren't his emotions doing it it would be himself. He knew he was a joke. He barely could do anything for the kingdom, and now his single amount of power was seeping through his fingers like sand. He had ordered his spies to leave the city, they would be gone soon. As would his power. He had to keep them safe, even if it meant him being discarded from his recently acquired allies. He couldn't fight and he would lose his single amount of use to the world. What good would he be then?

A single droplet fell onto his pants before he caught himself and put an end to the slip-up. He quickly cleared his throat, and ignored the tight pain in his chest, ignoring the way his tongue felt like as he talked. He ignored the way his voice cracked as he spoke the few words he did, "Yes, yes of course! Thank you very much for the information my friend, and of course, you don't know much about what happens here, if you did I wouldn't have a job..." he chuckled lightly, casting a glance to the side. He quickly reasserted himself by standing up with his back to the other man, desperately trying to ignore what had happened and look busy organizing papers.

At first it seemed Sergio wasn’t going to react much at all, staring blankly back at Aurin for a moment. The knight wondered briefly if he was stupid for assuming the spymaster didn’t already know what he’d come to tell him. The way Sergio’s eyes fell on him certainly didn’t give him any answers. If anything those eyes had him questioning a few things about himself.

When Sergio did start speaking though, Aurin was surprised to find him so open with his frustrations. The knight didn’t move from where he sat, though he turned his head up to watch the man muttering angrily. The muttering grew louder and his words quickened until his palm struck the desk and he stopped speaking.

The brief silence, other than a light rustling of paper that followed, seemed to snap him out of his ranting. Sergio looked shocked for a moment to remember that he had company, the anger leaving his face suddenly. Aurin met his eyes with some concern, moving his elbows off of his knees and sitting upright before the spymaster buried his head in his hands, his fingers laced through his blond hair.

When the man began apologizing again, Aurin felt embarrassed. He’d assumed things weren’t good, but he didn’t realize how Sergio was handling it all. It was obviously a bad time for him to be coming by with even more information to worry him over. He flushed a bit, trying to imagine what a comforting response would sound like. If it’s any consolation, a lot of your problems will be on fire soon? No, no that's no good.

“I- Um…” He stuttered quietly, not sure what he was trying to say. Sergio didn’t speak for a moment, and neither did Aurin. The knight averted his gaze, racking his brain for something helpful to add and- oh fuck, oh Gods… Was that a tear just then? Did he just break the spymaster? Shit.

The knight stood up quickly but was hesitant to act. The spymaster was keen on recovering his composure though as he switched his tone and tried to move the conversation along. The way he backtracked was all too obvious but what else was there to do? Sergio forced a laugh and turned away from him.

Aurin awkwardly caught himself reaching up but stopped short of moving any further. He looked at his hand then at Sergio’s back and slowly lowered it back to his own side. What did he think he was going to do, comfort him? Would that be weird? He sighed, resigning himself.

“Of course. Just let me know if there’s any way I can be of help.” He replied softly. He paused for a moment when he realized he meant that genuinely instead of offering as a courtesy. Odd.

Before he left, he eyed the tray with the discarded dishes, thinking back to his own situation after the battle those months ago. He and his room then looked quite similar then to Sergio’s state now. He couldn’t find himself quite ready to leave without saying anything.

“You don’t need me to tell you you have a difficult job… But, perhaps I can remind you that even if it’s difficult now, you’re still the most talented spymaster this kingdom has. Surely the only one the King Arvin has on his side. I’m certain your work is invaluable...” Okay, that’s not totally insufferable. Stop before you say something stupid. He began to make his way back to the door, pausing to glance back once more before planning on leaving.

“Anyway, apologies again for dropping in unannounced. If you do need anything from me, I’m not too hard to find.”

seasonedcat seasonedcat

Last edited:
“Another prophesy made, another prophesy unfulfilled...”

A lone jester mused to himself, sitting atop one of the many rooftops in the residential district of Örn, idly watching as the crowds of people went about their business. Some conversed in groups, others attempted to sell wares from carts of all makes, and some lingered in the shadows undoubtedly to speak out of earshot from the rest. Some occasionally glanced to look at him, all disturbed by his appearance to the point of carrying on without any intent of speaking. He mad to muse, finding their blatant fear of the unordinary truly delicious. What’s more than that, the chaos he witness bode the same feeling, but to a far higher degree.

The kingdom had been thrown into such chaos since Little Arvin had made his decree to them all, sharing with him the kingdoms ordained destruction, and equation of its people at the end of next month. And now, it was all people could speak of. So, perched on the rooftop above them all, he did listen as to be entertained of their feelings. Many were filled with rage, claiming the King a fool and that their numbers were self sufficient without divine intervention. The small majority unfortunately were ready to listen to the Kings words, and were prepared to leave with their families at a moments notice.

“Fools the lot of them...” The jester murmured with a sharp smile, as his perfected ears listened to every conversation in perfect detail. “There is no salvation, with or without the Gods. Not unless your forsake them, and the flesh they’ve bound you to. It’s a cursed life you live mortals. I’d pity you if it wasn’t so funny.”

“OI!” A voice rang out amongst the masses, bringing the crowd to a momentary silence. The Jester looked down to see an elderly man approaching the home he sat upon, clearly in a rage. “The fuck do ya think yer doin freak?! Got off my house!”

The Jesters grin widened, despite the insult.

“Oh I’m sorrryyy! I wasn’t aware you people still valued worldly items! Is this not what the King advised against?”

The old man growled, “So long as the Kingdom is yet to be in flames, it is still my home. Now get yer lanky ass down from there or I’ll call the guards!”

The jester stood, and hopped down from the roof to now stand directly before the man. His stature far exceeded the mans, standing almost a whole two feet taller than him. It astonished the man, as well as any onlookers that passed, all still trying to keep to their business.

“Now now my friend, there’s no need to be so hostile!” Those deadly looking teeth sent a shiver down the old timers spine, clearly disgusted by the unnatural visage that stood before him. “Allow me to introduce myself! My name is.... Johan! Yes Johan! Humble bard and singer of songs, as well as minister to the one true God!”

“One true God?” The man was clearly perplexed by the notion, even thinking it silly, prompting him to chuckle. “I don’t know what sort’ve foolish cult you belong to, but I want no part in it.” He moved to step past the stranger named Johan, only to get blocked by the Jesters arm.

“Oh I think you’ll want to hear me out, friend.” The jester raised a hand, and touched a sole finger to the mans head, causing his eyes to blacken for a moment as he maintained contact. “You want peace don’t you? Freedom and prosperity for your kind?”

“Yeeeeeeees.” The man said slowly, all self will gone from him now.

“Good. Then be of good cheer my friend! For now you know the truth in its fullness!” Johan removed his finger, and the mans eyes went back to normal, except now they lacked color in the iris. The eye was now simply white and black. “You want to share this truth with others do you not? Help to save them as you have been as well?”

“Yeeeeeeees.” The man repeated, a smile curling on his lips that mismatched the blank look in his eyes.

“Very good. Now. Run along my friend! Spread the good word!”

The man shuffled away the way he had come, and immediately began speaking to others of similar things to what Johan had said. It mattered little what he actually spoke. The moment he touched them their minds would be enslaved just as his. Like a virus they’d be exposed to the frail nature of their lives. They wouldn’t do anything extreme of course, only continue to ‘spread the good word’ as Johan had said. Nothing would change about their behavior, or their personalities. To onlookers they’d appear unchanged, save for their mentality. Johans mouth curled into a sinister and sharp grin, already delighted with his work. He’d already planted seeds through the kingdom that would continue to spread. Less souls to follow, less souls to resist.

“So, the Gods want to burn their kingdom to the ground? I think it only fair I help them.” Johan laughed. “We’ll Let it Burn, and everyone of these poor fools will be devoured along with it.”

Turning his attention back to the Crowd, he’d clear his throat before breaking into song as he so often did. Continuing to spread his good message, and entertain those that passed. He didn’t have long though, as soon his attention needed to be direct elsewhere. There was a very important person he needed to meet with, several in fact. They’d only add to the strength of the numbers he’d been gathering. The apocalypse was at hand, he could just feel it.

“Blessed is the final hour
Devour my soul!
I foretold the arrival
Arise from the hole!

Here what I am saying!
King Arvin brings bad days!
Join us as we’re praying!
Pray the Gods away!”

The Temple of Origins. The first structure erected by the Tribe of humanity that the Gods had brought into the world after its creation, and test against the Voids wrath. For over five hundred years it had rooted itself high in the mountains near King Kungen’s tomb. While a place of worship, it’s doors were only opened to those who were invited, because it possessed the purest connection with the Gods that is unseen and unfelt anywhere else in the world. It is said the very wells of their energy flowed through the marble structure like blood, which was not a wild claim. The temple did indeed have power that tied to the Gods, and gave way for one of the greatest blessings ever to be inherited by men and women alike.

Deep within its fortified chambers, lay the Obelisk of Eternity, a plinth of stone unlike anything to be found on earth. It was a gift from the heavens, decorated on its four sides with the four colors and symbols of the Quadrinity. For Kasai, Crimson with an image of a Lizard upon its stone. For Terran, Beige with a charging Ox. Nera, Teal with a Serpent of the Seas. And Argus, a hollow Yellow with an Eagle. At the very top was a white crystal the United them all, representing the purifying light of the Four. As Arvin and Lyrren had experienced early on in their youth, those chosen by the Gods to inherit their gifts would kneel before the plinth. A side of the Obelisk would shine only in their vision, and only then could they approach and place their hand upon its smooth surface, and inherit the powers of the God that chose them.

Sometimes more than one would shine, giving the recipient a choice. There was no consequence, only the preference of what the inheritor would find most useful to them. In Arvin’s case, both Kasai and Terran’s Obelisk faces shone to him, but thinking himself too weak to move the earth, he chose the vibrant flames of Kasai. There’s even been instances of three sides shining, specifically for two of the past Kings in Arvin’s bloodline, but never has all four presented itself to an individual. It was never a matter of spite or resentment, only that some souls were not prepared to handle some burdens. Everyone had their limits.

Arvin had done well in teaching his Pantheon of the history and importance of the temple, as well as the traditions of the blessing, since the first day they arrived back from Kasai’s temple. He’d made it known that they would soon be chosen, every one of them. They needed to be prepared to honor the traditions of their forefathers, and pay respects to the old ways. He’d share his own experience, as would Lyrren. All the members of his Pantheon were familiar with customs and courtesies in interacting with the priests that resided within various temples throughout the land, and in time they’d become accustomed to the process of the ceremony as well.

Which brings things back to the present, with the evening of the 18th of September coming to a close shortly after the events written before this. Arvin gathered his Pantheon to relay the plan, and revealed the time had come for their summoning to the Temple.

“A long awaited day has arrived my friends. The Four are ready for your arrival, and have their gifts prepared for you. A large responsibility awaits you, as I’ve made known over the past few weeks. The gifts you will receive will not be harnessed naturally. It will take many weeks of practice and familiarizing yourself with what you may receive before you can wield it with the utmost efficiency. So time it will take yes, but as always, I have the utmost faith in you. Your potential is great, and I look forward to witnessing the end result.”

The ceremony, as always, would begin at dawn the next morning. So they’d need to leave a couple hours prior if they were to make it to the temple with ample time to spare. Fortunately it wasn’t as far as Kasai’s, so it wouldn’t be as long as trek as their last adventure into a Gods domain.
———————————————

The morning came soon, with Arvin rising an hour before they were to meet together, a half hours time after the second hour in the morning. They’d leave at a half hours past the third hour, and would arrive just before the fifth hours half when the son of Kasai would rise. An hour gave him ample time to prepare himself, taking a quick bath (hot water was prepared for them all during the night), and dressing himself in a simple grey tunic and black pants that hung loosely from his frame. Boots were then placed, and Arvin headed from his quarters. He’d opted for the simpler dressing, because he knew like at the temple of Kasai, they’d change into the ceremonial robes before they would begin.

Outside in the main courtyard of his castle, seven horses had been prepped and saddled up for them all, all standing fast in wait of their masters. A lone stable boy sat on a bench near them, holding his head in his hands as he fought the fatigue of rising so early to prepare the steeds for departure. Though, once he heard the padding of Arvin’s boots, he’d rise and present an awkward bow to address the King.

“My Lord, your Pantheons horses are ready.”

Arvin grinned at the lad, who looked no older than fifteen.

“Did you care for them yourself? I see no others among you?”

“Yes my Lord, I was the one that prepared them.”

“Well, your Master oughta be proud of you. You’ve done fine work this morning.”
The boy tiredly smiled, pride shining in his young eyes. “Run on back to your quarters lad, I’ll watch them from here.”

“Are you sure my Lord? I can keep you company if you’d like?”

“My boy, you need your sleep. I don’t doubt you’ve been up far earlier than I have this morning. Run on home, I’m more than capable of watching a few horses.”
Arvin flashed a cheeky grin at the boy, and he’d get up and leave without much further protest.

With the King now alone, he replaced the boy on the bench, and let his head tip back to gaze at the stars. Looking in wonder, he admired the many celestial bodies Kasai had put in place since the earths creation. Further reminders of the Fours defiance against the Void. But, there was far more darkness than there was light in the heavens above. And it made Arvin wonder, could the Void see him as the Gods could? Did it look upon him, as well as every other mortal on this earth and merely observe them? The thought brought chills to his spine, so he lingered on it no further.

Aurelia.jpgAurelia had been staring at the parchment for nearly half an hour, rereading it as if somehow that would make the ink change its shape. It had been so long since she had received a reply from her family, yet only now did she dare believe her own suspicions.

Like many others, the Luxenri house had declared itself against the king, who they deemed was an agent of the void itself. After all, what sort of god would burn their own followers and kingdom? Most troubling was the brief mention of liberating the capital from the king's clutches. If there was any family that could pose a true threat to the safety of the capital it was her own. Was that why they were training new soldiers before she had left? It seemed so unlike her father, yet she had never known him to make weightless threats.

She could scarcely believe it. The Luxenri had been steadfast allies of the royal family since its founding long ago and had never once faltered in loyalty. They had clawed their way to the top of the noble foodchain and had used that leverage to maintain peace in the noble court. Now, that same respect would draw in like-minded allies and soft-willed loyalists like moths to a lantern. As soon as word got out of their betrayal one of the few remaining pillars defending Arvin's rule would crumble.

The end of the letter urged her to return home to Ravenscourt for her own safety, complete with a signature from her father.

In a daze, Aurelia lifted the parchment above the nearest candle and watched the tongues of flame lick black, greasy scars into the paper. A foul smell arose as the page shrivelled into itself, breaking off into little motes of ash. In it, she could almost detect the smell of burning bodies. She had no time to make a reply, as today was the day of the ceremony. It would have to wait until she got back... but she was unsure of what response she could even muster. Throughout her stay in the capital she had been feeding information to her family about the events that transpired. If she fled it would only secure her guilt. But if she stayed, she would effectively cut her ties with her family, and she knew more than anyone else how they dealt with traitors.

Dropping the flaming remains of the letter into a bowl, she busied herself with getting dressed. The riding outfit she had chosen the night before hung from the wall opposite of her bed, but she ignored it. The thought of wearing her family's colours today made her feel ill. Instead, she opted for an embroidered blouse -- a gift from Sergio -- and a layered skirt over leggings, all held together by a corset. She glanced at her reflection in the mirror, making sure there were no cracks in her composure before heading out of the castle to meet with the king.

~~~

Perhaps it was her eagerness to leave her room behind, but Aurelia found herself the first to arrive at the stables. She approached just in time to see the king dismiss the stable boy.

"You know, you should be careful of letting your servants off the hook so easily. They'll grow lazy and too bold." Aurelia said, hands clasped in front of her as she strode towards the horses. As usual, she dipped her head in a bow and addressed the king, though couldn't help but feel a tug of nervousness she tried to keep out of her voice. "Good morning, your grace. The twilight hours are truly splendid are they not? It seems the gods have blessed us with fair weather for our journey."

She should have felt excitement to be chosen to attend such a divine ceremony, but all she could feel was unease and guilt. She only hoped she could pass it off as anxiety.

Trying to limit her interactions with Arvin, Aurelia turned towards her own horse, a white mare with a wavy mane and soft eyes. It had been a gift from her grandmother for her 18th birthday, and by far the most cherished. Gently, she ran her hand over the beast's slender neck and almost smiled when it whinnied.

"I cannot remember the last time I ventured beyond the castle. I believe it was our last visit to the temple. I must admit, horses are a better choice than trekking through the forests." Aurelia laughed lightly at her small humour, feeling sick to her stomach.

Much to the Kings fortune, his thoughts of being stalked by the very Darkness above him were snatched away as soon as a new sound brought him back to attention in the real world. Not long after he’d dismissed the stable boy, Lady Luxenri had made herself the first of his Pantheon to arrive outside of himself. Leaning forward on the bench, he’d greet her with a tired smile, that only widened with a chuckle when she spoke.

“Well, in a month and a half’s time, they won’t be my servants anymore. They’ll just be what they always have been, people, children of the Gods seeking survival the same as the rest of us. And that being said, even if you’re right, some boldness might go a long way for their betterment. Hell, even I could use some in this trying times.”

He gave a halfhearted laugh as to lighten his comment, but there was no use trying to hide his shame. To say that the past two months had been nothing short of a brutal shipwreck would be an understatement. Just about everyone that could’ve gone wrong, went wrong. So many things weighed heavily on his mind, chief among them the welfare of his people, but beyond that his stress lied with the evacuation plans as well as the journey ahead of them. And he knew he wasn’t alone. Everyone member of his pantheon stressed over their own responsibilities and task, and he knew the weight was equal among them. Though, as well as she held herself even in the face of adversity, Arvin could still see Aurelia was exceptionally troubled this morning. There was a uneasiness about her that saddened him, typically such emotions meant bad news for an individual.

Despite it all though, she still greeted him formally, and brought up some positives for the day ahead of them. A good sign, at least she did not fail to acknowledge that there was still some good about the world. He’d offer her a warm smile, proud of her optimism.

“Good morning to you as well, Lady Luxenri. Observant and correct as always.” He allowed his head to tip back for just a little longer as to resume his admiration of the skyline. “The stars have always been some of my favorite things to admire, and be fascinated by. Especially with their promise of clear skies for the day.” Arvin returned his attention back to earth, and he’d laugh along with her at her comment about the horses. “Yes well, this time we’ll have a better established path to tread, and our convening with the Gods won’t need to be as much of a secret as last time. Though I must say, I do enjoy a good hike.”

Pushing himself off the bench, he stood and join Aurelia amongst the horses. He’d failed to address his own prized horse, a black stallion with a glossy mane and a hardened gaze. Covington he’d recalled to have named it, though he rarely if ever addressed it as such aloud. The horse recognized him of course, and butted its muzzle against Arvin’s chest, which he as its own way of greeting him. The King patted its head in reply before stroking its long muzzle, that was met with a satisfied huff from the steed.

“Forgive me if I overstep any bounds, Aurelia.” Arvin looked up, clear concern in his eyes. “But is something troubling you? There seems to be a heavier weight about your behavior this morning. I pray it’s only the stress of the ceremony?” Deep down, he knew there was a good chance it wasn’t just that. He had faith that he’d prepared them well enough as not to be stressed. But he could be wrong. “As I said, if I’ve overstepped, you need not tell me. I just thought I’d offer the chance to talk it out.”
Juju Juju

Crow awoke with a yawn, a deep tiredness clinging to his bones despite his surprise slumber. Maybe he'll avoid telling Raven about his royal duties next time. Clever girl, to dose him with some sleeping agents in his food during his break the night before. Of course, she'll have to be punished for it at some point... Maybe he'll make her give that squire she talks to a flower or something. Embarrassing her is always a suitable punishment for something this minor.

Obviously, the devious witch wasn't near his quarters. She knew that would expedite her getting punished. If he had to guess, she was probably somewhere out of the way of his fastest route to the main courtyard. She knew him well enough to know he'd not dally with a royal summon. Even if informally given. "Maybe she's learning a bit too much from me..." With a bit of a suffering sigh, the Royal Doctor would begin to get ready. Namely, exchanging his filthy clothes and robes for a fresh set. His more presentable robes, devoid of the wispy layer he used for intimidation purposes. Instead, this set of robes were nearly identical, but the ornamentation on it was a golden trim, and he even slid a gold ring upon his right hand, complete with a deep red gem with the symbol of the royal family upon it. A gift from the former king, as a sign of his office. The only thing missing from this outfit?

Well, that's not important for now. With this outfitting done, he slipped on his usual heavy boots, and snagged a few prepared pouches of various things. Water, potions, a small dagger. Each pouch found its way to a belt underneath the robes. Satisfied, the great Crow haunting the allegedly rotting symbol of authority known as the castle, if you listen to the nobles in opposition anyways, began his path.

As he approached the doors leading out, he gave a casual wave and nod of acknowledgement to the stable boy. Guess this shows that his suspicion was true. He'd have a reason to ride his horse again. With a simple push of the door, Crow made his way towards the stables, mildly amused. Wonder how Unqualë is doing...

However, before he checked on his horse, whom he could clearly see as he approached, he figured it'd be polite of him to acknowledge the king at least... Oh, and Aurelia too, he supposes. If he must...

"Ah, how odd to be the second to arrive. Good morning to you Arvin. A good morning to you,, too, Aurelia. I presume you both had a good rest last night, yes?" Crow was, believe it or not, simply not wearing his mask. It wasn't on his face, or on his head. Not hooked to the robes, or even resting on his shoulders. That's right, for once, Crow was going to head out, unmasked. He remembers well how the last time he brought his mask to a religious ceremony went. Kasai wasn't all that amused, truth be told...

With his greetings out of the way, he turned his gaze to a beast of a horse. Lovingly, he'd place a hand on the oddly pale coated Clydesdale mare before him. Such calm, such power. Clearly, a horse that's seen its due in hauling. Maybe it's getting a bit old, but he knew she was still dependable. "And how do you do, Unqualë? Still a troublemaker as usual?" His voice held clear sarcasm, a gentle smile on his face that might only be familiar to the orphans he'd help, or Arvin if he remembered anything during feverish days when he was young. Crow still remembers the day he officially bought her from the farmer that loaned her to his battalion back during the war. One of his first actions when he was made the Royal Doctor and received his funding. Sure, he could've just thrown his weight around, or asked it as a favor from the king as necessary for his royal duties... But fuck you.

Carefully, he wrapped his hands around her neck, gently pressing his face into the side of her head, pulling a sugar cube from one of the pouches in his robes, giving her a sweet treat as a way to make up for not visiting often.

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju

The hour for waking had come all too quickly. A healthy amount of anticipation had kept Aurin on his toes most days, but tonight it kept him from sleeping. He had to laugh at himself. When he didn’t have an enemy to fight he’d fight his own nerves instead. He sought to wash them away, but he found himself contemplating as he held his head half underwater. His senses drifted around the room from the warmth of the water, to the chill in the early morning air. His gaze danced between the flames that lit the room, to the stone that built the walls. Which of these elements would he be seen fit enough to wield?

His mind drifted back to youth, when he first began his training. He felt the passing of weapons in his hands and his tutors watchful eyes as they silently judged each move he made, and how he managed each weapon they tested him with. The careful notes and critiques they made did not pass by him easily, as he held their words close to him each time they corrected him. With each trial a young Aurin would spar against his older brother Castor until the tutors had seen enough, and the two boys would stand in wait until the next round. All of this to see which weapon he’d be brandishing, and aiming to perfect the art of for the rest of his life.

“Why does it feel like they only ever talk about what I’ve done wrong?” Aurin would ask. Castor had nearly completed his own years of training and was only weeks away from departing for his own service for another higher noble. He turned his own short swords around in his grip, focused more on them than his brother, as answered in the indifferent tone of a teenager.

“It's simple. They have to point out what you did wrong, because you already know what you’ve done right.”

It was funny that those words that seemed an obvious response then were coming to Aurin now and that they felt so applicable in the context of the present. He felt the same might be true of how The Four were viewing him, and how they meant to prepare him to move forward. Kasai had made him look past his pride and confront his doubts and mistakes. Because of this he was more ready for their next challenge. It was only a question of which deity he had the most to learn from in this next step.

Soon enough he was getting dressed. He’d skip the full armor today and instead opt for a tailored gambeson with cap sleeves over a long sleeved tunic, fitted pants and a pair of riding boots. Aurin donned all of his usual rings and other adornments and twisted most of his hair back into a loose bun, though he left the bottom half hanging freely around him.

He caught himself yawning as he left his room to be met with candlelit halls that hadn’t yet seen the morning light. He briefly lamented how now would’ve been the perfect time for some of the tea or coffee he declined yesterday in Sergio’s office. He pondered a bit on the spymaster, and how maybe he should’ve said accepted his offer and stayed longer...

The knight eventually made his way out to the stables where they would meet. He grinned as he approached, though it was probably lost in the twilight hour’s darkness. While he fully trusted Arvin at this point, he still took the chance to poke fun at him, considering the last time they left the castle was on foot.

Ah, so you weren’t kidding about the horses! The Four have truly decided to bless us today, this is proof.” He gave a satisfied nod, inspecting the group of readied horses. The knight approached his own mare, running a hand down her black coat and over a few old scars. Following Elliot tradition, along with his spear, his horse had been a gift from his family when he reached age and was formally knighted. While in service of Lord Irvailde she’d helped Aurin fend off their fair share of would-be coach robbers. It didn’t take him long to start fiddling with the riding equipment to get it to his liking. What can he say? He’s nitpicky about his horse. She tolerated it, though she swished her tail impatiently. “It will do them well to get them out of these walls- and us too, I suppose.

As he reached the other side of his horse he found himself next to Crow. It took him a moment, but he took notice of what was oddly missing from his person. Aurin took a step back and looked the Royal Doctor up and down suspiciously. Surely he didn't choose to show the gods some respect on his own volition. He raised an eyebrow. “Seems you’ve left something behind…

Aurelia.jpgAurelia almost flinched at Arvin's concerned comments. It sometimes irked her just how well he could catch on to things she so deeply wished to hide.

"Ah, forgive me, your grace. It seems writing letters into the small hours of the evening and awaking much too early have begun to catch up with me." The lie fell easily from her lips. She stared pointedly at her horse's flank, pretending to check the straps of her saddle, "Though, you are as observant as ever... I can't say I feel prepared for this... judgment. You must excuse me, it must be a strange thing for someone who converses with the gods as much as yourself. Do not worry yourself on my behalf, I will be fine, I'm sure."

It was not all untrue, she did n fact feel a growing anxiety towards facing her gods. Even now Kasai's words lingered in her mind, urging her to have faith. Those words had moved her then, and since that day she had tried to put her faith in Arvin's cause. It had been so easy when she had nothing to sacrifice, yet now the price was more than she had prepared to bargain for. Doubt had resurfaced in a sea of fear.

To throw in her allegiance with Arvin would mean abandoning everything else. Her family, her wealth, her status... everything she had defined herself with. Aurelia Luxenri, daughter of Tytos Luxenri, most powerful house in the kingdoms. She had worn this like the finest armour, a name that could sway unruly nobles and make would be enemies think twice. Now what would she be?

Aurelia was distracted enough that she didn't even notice Crow's lack of a mask until Aurin pointed it out. She blinked in surprise and frowned slightly. "If I did not know better I would say he finally learned something about fashion sense."

The remark was only halfhearted as Aurelia crossed her arms and tried to turn the subject of the conversation towards anything other than herself.
Siren77 Siren77 The True Plague The True Plague ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back