• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
"No need to call me 'Lady', Nemir is just fine I feel like I say this every day. As for my morning, well enough." The Judicator chuffed before clapping a fist to her plate clad chest in a salute. No mean feat considering that she was holding an entire Hyena at bay with one arm. She studied Tessa from beneath her helm in silent interest, noting the pink tinge on the other woman's otherwise pale cheeks.

She reached forward and gently cupped Tessa's chin with a metal clad. Silence reigned for an extended moment as Nemir inspected the Royal Advisor's face intently.

"Your face is flushed? Not getting sick are we?" The Judicator murmured before releasing Tessa from her grasp. "A fever addled brain is no good, especially one as valuable as yours. Try to look after yourself."

Ghan, who'd since ceased all struggling once it became clear that Nemir would not let him tackle anyone that morning, sat on his haunches and regarded Arvin and Tessa with bright eyes and a wide Hyena smile. Nemir cocked her head and shot the large beast a silent look before sighing. “And, I'm sorry for ruining the serenity of your morning. Ghan was very excited to greet you both.”

She leaned forward suddenly, peering at Arvin for a moment. Her expression, as always, was unreadable beneath her helmet but her voice made no secret of her mild displeasure.

"And you are having a calm morning, aren't you? Last I recall you weren't supposed to be doing anything overly strenuous." She prodded gently, though there was no need. What other reason would the King have to be in the Training Yard during the wee hours of dawn? He was supposed to be resting. He should have been gathering his strength for whatever lay ahead of them all.

Nemir understood all too well how unenjoyable it was to be bedridden for an indeterminate amount of time. And she could imagine that her own displeasure with such a scenario would only be amplified if she had a kingdom to run.

Arvin was young, and he very much preferred to keep himself active. How could he be of any use to his people if he remained cloistered in his chambers like some sickly child? Surely this thought and still others plagued the young King's mind over the recent weeks. Or at the least, that's what Nemir assumed given all that she knew about Kungen's eldest child.

She shook her head at the man and grumbled, her voice rendered deeper in the confines of her helm. "Gods above boy, you really are your Father's son."

The late King had been of a Warrior's mindset in many ways. Namely, that to call oneself a Warior, was to possess a few ounces of old-fashioned stubbornness. How else was a man to defy death on a day-to-day basis without it, after all? And like his father before him. Arvin didn't have a scant ounce of stubbornness. He possessed several tons of the stuff.

Shaking her head with a cluck of the tongue in the way a disappointed mother would, Nemir's gaze settled on Tessa once more.

"Tea to distract him, eh? That wouldn't be my first choice, but so long as it keeps him from overworking himself, who am I to stop you?" She said in all earnestness, though it could not be said if either of them caught it. Nemir's tone generally ranged from stern, to disappointed and very little stood in between. If she was happy, no one would know under so much armor.

All the same, Nemir was at least grateful that Arvin had companions around his own age. Despite getting on in years, Nemir had no children of her own and had next to no experience in raising them as a result. All the knowledge that she had on the subject was that you were to avoid making them cry at any cost. Something the Judicator was phenomenally bad at. Children were terrified of her. A little too big, a little too foreboding, and the armor didn't help at all.

Granted, plenty of adult men and women were terrified of her too, but that was for an entirely different set of reasons.

Nemir had yet to reduce Arvin to tears, which in her opinion meant that things were going swimmingly between them. But the vigors of youth no longer plagued the Judicator as they once had. She felt that the King would find more enjoyment in the company of women that weren't old enough to be his mother.

Footsteps, solid and metal clad caught Nemir's attention suddenly, but nowhere as fast as they had Ghan's. The Hyena's bushy tail didn't wag so much as the whole of his stocky body did. His odd, wiggling dace was enough to convey his excitement at the prospect of greeting another fired. So much so, that Nemir was forced to clap a metal-clad hand to the back of Ghan's neck to keep him from dashing towards Aurin. They'd avoided at least two accidents that morning. Nemir was positive that they could avoid a third.

"I don't know why he gets like this." Nemir said as she offered Aurin a curt salute by way of greeting. "It would seem to me he's being spoiled whenever I'm not around."

Nemir was not blind to the amount of table scraps that Ghan was being funneled from all over the castle. There were a great many suspects on her list, most with names she recognized, but catching them all would be an exercise in futility. It was fortunate, then, that the Hyena's training regimen rivaled Nemir's in intensity. Vigorous exercise was enough to keep the fat off of his sides, at least for the time being. The Judicator knew however, that when the day came for Ghan to quit the battlefield for good, that he'd grow considerably plump loafing around the Castle in his twilight years. It was only a matter of time, and Nemir had no desire to hasten it due to Ghan being completely undiscerning about what he gobbled up.

Sighing gently, Nemir smoothed Ghan's unruly mane down with her fingers and nodded at Aurin.

"You've the right of it. We're only short a pair of twittering Songbirds, and a skulking Raven to complete our little flock, wouldn't you say?" She chuckled gruffly.

"But I was only just headed out to begin my rounds. Ghan merely wished to stop and say hello. And what of you, Aurin? I trust that you're of the same mind and are going to attend to your duties?"

Whilst the pleasant morning meeting occurred in the courtyard around the King and his, very disrespectful to Crow's position one must note, continued training, Crow had other plans. It's not that he didn't like the others of the Pantheon, he just needed this time to eat and decompress a little bit before all the stress of another day's work came upon him. Sure, he could reasonably give himself a break and have Raven try running it alone for a bit since she was a shockingly good assistant... But his pride wouldn't let him. He didn't care for much, but his work was one of the few things he did. To leave it to someone not quite at his standards yet was an insult he wouldn't allow to stand.

With such thoughts on his mind, Crow strode forth into the kitchen with one thing and one thing only on his mind. Getting some good fucking food. All he really did was poke his head in, and ask for any food they might had. How? "Hello. May I inquire if you have any food ready?" Crow did this every. Fucking. Day. He knew they had some food ready for him. Which is why one of the cooking staff shoved a plate into his hands, and futilely tried pushing him away. He let them try for a few minutes, just grinning beneath his mask until they quit.

Oh, such classic comedy rarely let him down. A low, deep chuckle left him as he turned and walked away. Let's see what we had for today's meal, shall we? There was a singular apple, sliced into ten pieces. Next to it was some bread, plain. That was nice. There was also a bit of... Ham probably. Maybe. He wasn't sure. Last, and certainly least, he had a bit of cabbage. Not the richest of meals, but well, he never asked for rich food. Sure, the meat wasn't exactly common, what with a bit of glaze and spices, but it wasn't something rare. Pork was relatively cheap in terms of meat.

Pleased with his acquisition, he made his way to the dining hall where usually feasts would've been held. He enjoyed the silence of it, and it also pleased him to be the only one in the room. Why? Simple. He could go over his notes in peace, and he'd be exposing his face to less people. Not that he was exceptionally ugly or something, he just liked the mystery it created if only a select few knew what his face looked like.

So, slowly he pulled the mask off, undoing a few hidden clasps that kept it snug on his face. Once done, he pulled lightly on the front of it, beak inbetween his index and middle finger as it came free and was laid down besides his plate. Pleasant aromas assaulted his nose. Know what that means? Time to replace the dried herbs he used to fill the beak, because they're clearly ran their course. Next, he reached into his robes, hands settling about waist height as they fiddled with something metallic. He unchained a book from within his robes, and pulled it out, opening it to a page with recently dried ink.

The Ferrum Cambion. An odd beast of sorts, in his eyes. Something he had thought the King and the other Pantheon perhaps had been under some influence in order to come up with. Yet, it was real. Which made him wonder a few things, such as how naturally occurring this might be amongst Cambions, if this affected the armor in any way. Which he could say it didn't. Which was odd. He expected perhaps a shifting of bone to create the blade, but it wasn't like that. The trauma it caused where the blade was created meant either it shifted to that spot, or it was created. If it were created, he supposed he could also believe the Baalgar was involved as the King said. The tests he had conducted indicated the blades could easily pierce most armor that one could wear. He used the cambion to pierce the cambion. Only Nemir's armor might survive it if they tried puncturing her armor. Sadly could not replicate a cambion's swing to see if it could slice through, but if it were to elbow an armored man, he'd guess it'd puncture straight through and come out the other side. Which he knew would have to be handled immediately, in terms of medical care, and even then depending on where the strike landed it may not be fixable. He'll have to petition the King for letting him detach and keep the blades of the beast for testing. Also will have to discuss this with Hector so they could figure out exactly how thick a plate of steel this could punch through. Maybe they could find something normal people could wear for protection. Also will have to see if they could be used for anything such as a weapon, since, you know, anything for an edge on the new beast.

Propping the book up using some weird decoration on the table, the Doctor skipped the surprise meeting for breakfast and reviewing his own notes. You know, like some kind of narcissist.

Oh, Arvin had noticed her quiet observation. It was only for a moment, but she swore he flashed her a grin. Aurelia blinked in surprise, suddenly feeling shameful for watching him for so long. The warmth of the morning sun collected on her face as she withdrew herself from the window, skirt lightly whisking against the stone below. Genuine smiles were a rare commodity in her trade, almost too good to be true. They always came across as suspicious, leaving one wondering if they had been deceived or otherwise failed to see the invisible threads attached.

As she made her way through the castle's corridors she found herself humming a melody she did not remember. Where had she heard it? So beautiful yet laced with dangerous bitter-sweet. She recalled the image of a singer on a street corner, looking up at Aurelia's gilded carriage as it passed. She could see the rain dripping into the dreadful wretch's eyes, hear the voice of her lady mother telling her to avoid looking at such filth. Of course, she had obeyed, but her ears did not. Through the cold rain, she could hear the song so clearly, but the words must have melted away in the summer wind. They evaded her.

Aurelia mouthed them, gingerly humming through the uncharted memories, coaxing the words out like a frightened cat. Finally, she managed to unearth a verse and sang it quietly to herself, her footfalls keeping to the solemn rhythm.

"Oh, beautiful one
You speak without singing
Truly you came uninvited
The hunt has begun and
Soon you'll be bleeding
But ah,
Stare at the night sky, ignited"

Quite abruptly, her singing stopped.

"Oh? Hm...how did the second verse go?" she asked the empty hall. The answer never came, nor did it matter. Whatever bard had spun such a song was likely long dead, their body crumbled in a piss-filled ditch. Perhaps she would write the second verse herself. It then occurred to her that she had not practiced any of her instruments in several days. How dreadful! The days had been filled with letter making, poison-sweet words and meetings with nobility. There had scarcely been time for leisure, but she told herself she would have to make room for practice. As a swordsman must keep his skills sharp, she too must ensure her finesse never slipped.

But first, she had to ensure these letters were passed on to the right hands. A typical rider would do, though the scroll hidden away in her sleeve would need someone more trustworthy. Or rather, someone reliably distrustful. That too would wait. With the bundle of letters tucked against her bosom, Aurelia continued on her way to the castle stables.

(Aurelia is open for any interactions if you guys would like one! Otherwise, I can make NPCs UwU)

Arvin was listening on and growing a deep joy in his heart as his friend spoke. As usual, she was calculated and correct with her words. Which was to be expected given her wisdom being enough to earn her the position she now held. That was one of the few things no one dared to question about the King. Tessa was renowned for her knowledge of diplomacy and settling matters at a far better method than the King himself was. Hell she could’ve even given Kungen a run for his money had he still been alive at the time.

For a brief moment he gathered his thoughts as to what he was going to say, only for the sound of bounding paws striking the brick pathing nearby to fill the air. Without even seeing the Hyena, Arvin knew it was Ghan. That crazy beasts behavior had become commonplace on the castle grounds ever since Nemir moved in to join the Pantheon. While plenty of people, Aurelia and Sergio included, complained of his presence amongst them. Arvin welcome the Hyena and enjoyed having this age old friend of his back. This wasn’t the first morning that he had come to greet the King during his currently illicit activities in the morning. Unfortunately this time, one of the people who tried to keep the King under wraps was with him.

His smile widened, only for it to quickly fade as Nemir came sprinting after the beast in her full armor and grabbed ahold of Ghan before he could come near himself or Tessa.

To say he’d be in trouble now would be an understatement. The evidence as to what he’d just been up too was far to obvious, with the charred remains of the bucket and the practice sword laying on the ground. Nemir was no fool, and would easily figure it out shortly. But for now, she remained unaware.

“I’m well Nemir, but no need to apologize for Ghan! I enjoy seeing his smiling face in the morning, it reminds me to smile as well.”

The King stepped forward to pet the Hyena, only to stop in his tracks at Nemir’s next words. Backing off, he looked away with a slight scowl knowing that he’d been caught already. Part of him thought that he could get through the conversation and vamoose upstairs without her noticing, but that was unrealistic. Letting off a frustrated sigh, he finally met the Judicators gaze under the helm she wore.

“Yes, very calm. This,” he gestured towards the practice courtyard, “keeps me calm. I don’t give a damn what Crow or any other doctor in this entire Kingdom says, if I want to let off a little tension and enjoy myself for once then I gladly will!” There was a large amount of undeserved anger directed towards Nemir, which quickly caused Arvin to take a few deeps breaths and cool his nerve before opening his mouth again. “Forgive me, Nemir. I shouldn’t be so irritable, especially with you who is one of my greatest companions at this time.” One of his strong hands ran through the course black mane he had on his head, “But I won’t allow myself to sit by and play the hurt and woeful King! Not when there’s pricks out there that want to scrutinize every one of my actions, especially so now more than ever! It’s a wonder why I don’t just travel to their lands myself and-“

The Kings rather.... energetic, rant was interrupted by the sound of yet another metal clad footsteps approaching.

‘How many more people are gonna keep showing up here today? This place is wildly more active than usual.’ Arvin grinned as he saw it was Aurin approaching. ‘Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.’

Half the pantheon, so coincidentally brought together for this morning. Friends who’s support Arvin somewhat took for granted these past few days. Unsurprisingly, Arvin knew this wasn’t an accident. Everything happened for a reason after all.

“Hm, I think it’d be best if we had a full pantheon. Don’t you all? It’s been a long while since we last met together. Perhaps it’s time to stir the pot a little, well.” He eyed Nemir sheepishly, “So long as I won’t be at risk at being out under room confinement for being up and about this morning.”
Ramjammer Ramjammer ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain AiDEE-c0 AiDEE-c0

The Knight found himself faltering in his step, a look of immediate regret passing over his face for catching Ghan’s eye as the creature nearly made a full charge at him, only to have his hopes dashed by the Judicator's grip. Ser Elliot released his breath and dropped his shoulders with a nervous chuckle once he was certain he wasn’t going to be tackled. He had many questions about this hyena Nemir possessed, but as long as he could avoid being toppled over or drooled on by the massive hound he was content. Sometimes this was possible by tossing scraps away from him during meals, and Ghan would joyfully run after them instead of hovering over his lap on the occasion they happened to feast at the same time. Aurin would happily do the same to anyone he didn't care to encounter, if only tossing scraps were enough incentive to drive people away. Contradicting his intent, that’s probably why Ghan was so excited to see him, but Aurin had no intentions of letting Nemir know that he was doing such things as she commented on the matter of her pet being spoiled. The Knight simply joined the circle with a small bow towards the others, shooting a glance at Kipling to make sure he followed suit. Assuring the squire’s manners were intact, and straightening back up, he gave a polite smile and replied to Nemir.

Ah, yes, of course. Kipling and I were about to begin our day sorting a few… pressing matters with the recruits. Seems they got a little distracted last night, so I intend to give them a vigorous day of training to set their minds straight. You’re always welcome to stop by, of course, if you find yourself with some time to fill.” He offered. Kipling pushed his lips together and took a step behind Aurin to hide a grin about the situation with the recruits. The squire was more easily amused at such things than the Knight, who was quicker to anger, of course because he was the one that had to deal with it while Kip merely watched. The Knight chose to ignore him, to keep up his rapport with the others, but he’d remind him later to take things more seriously. Taking on a squire was a lot more like adopting a teenager than Aurin expected, but he wasn’t going to dwell on that now. He gave a half smile towards King Arvin, returning his attention to the short bit he’d seen of his fight with the practice dummy. “That goes for you as well, your Majesty. When you’re up to it, I’m sure the troops would be inspired by your skills in battle. Might give them some ambition to focus their energies on.

Aurin too had struggled with the frustrations of being held down by his injuries after the battle, and he wasn’t a fan of listening to advice either when it kept him from doing what he wanted. He might risk a whack on the back of the head from the others for encouraging the King’s eagerness to return to practice, but he was hard headed enough to do so without much regard. Bed rest was torture, battle was much more enticing, and it might be nice for Arvin to have at least one person agreeing with him.

King Arvin’s idea to gather the full Pantheon for a meeting got Aurin’s mind working. On the one hand it would be excellent to do so, as it meant progress, and building their connections further. On the other hand, at least one member of the Pantheon lived for “stirring the pot”, as it had been put. Of course, that was a challenge that was inevitably going to have to be dealt with, eventually, at some point, maybe. Shaking off his biases, he settled on the thought- Well, there’s an asshole in every group.

That’s an excellent idea!” The Knight replied enthusiastically with a nod. And there’s an ass kisser in every group. In this one it’s me. He chided at himself internally, knowing he was ever the try hard when it came to keeping his impression squeaky clean. Fuck me. He carried on, sticking to it. “It’s well time we regroup. I’ve no doubt there’s much to discuss amongst all of us, and we’ve had so few chances so far to do so.

Ramjammer Ramjammer Siren77 Siren77 AiDEE-c0 AiDEE-c0

After the chance happening in that courtyard, with a majority of the Kings pantheon arriving at that same place, Arvin took it upon himself to finalize the meeting and gather the rest of his friends and allies to complete the pantheon and discuss with him the ailments of his mind. It was nice, therapeutic almost, to get all of his struggles off his chest and vent to them all about both his own daily torments as well as the troubling dream he’d been having in a reoccurring fashion for the past few days. Thankfully, none of them deemed him insane, or atleast they didn’t directly state it, nor did they hide there faces from him as so many of his citizens already had. It was an affirmation of their loyalty, and the genuine nature of their friendship.

After much discussion and debate as to what their next course of action should be, The King brought up a voyage to the Temple of Kasai, as an attempt to both restore a connection with the Quadrinity as well as find answers to the nightmare. The flames he could see destroying Örn, as well as his own personal blessing from the goddess made it plain to him that it was through the fire goddess that he’d find the most resolve. The better option of venturing to the Temple of Gaia in the northern forest would be a much more time consuming matter, with a voyage through the mountains having the potential of sheer days, perhaps even over a week. And that was if they could keep a good pace and only rest for four hours total throughout each day. Arvin had no intention of setting up such a voyage, as that would require horses, additional members of their party, and a plethora of food and water to be supplied for all present. It’d be far more trouble than necessary, and ever judgement eye of those who sought to oppose him was always present. They’d need to be discrete, and quick.

So, despite some adversity in discussion from both Nemir and Crow alike who were advocating to postpone the venture and instead let the King and the other injured member of the pantheon rest, the plan was set. In response to some final comments of some sleep being better than exerting himself once again, The King was to retort as follows.

“I don’t need sleep, I need answers.”

A couple hours was then provided to prepare for their venture deep into the girth of the forgotten grove, where within its confines the Temple of Kasai would lie waiting for them. While most of the civilization that once inhabited the forest is now gone, due to the demon residency within, the temple was the one thing Arvin knew remained amongst it all. The priests and priestesses of Kasai, as well as all others who served in the Gods’ temples were far too obedient to their masters to ever consider leaving. Besides, they all had been gifted with the blessing of her flames, and had even been pronounced as masters of her magic. So fighting off some fledglings and a Cambion or two occasionally would be a cakewalk for them should the demons have ever tried to assault the temple.

Atleast, Arvin hoped this was true.
————————————

The Western Forest - Eight Hours Later

The early afternoon sun hung high over the tops of the trees, with shards of lightly barely reaching through the lush green foliage and scattering on the dim floor below. This area in particular area resided a ways beyond the distance Arvin had traveled when he had opted to seek out Nemir. Just as with that voyage though, the once prominent paths that took hold on the forests edge had now faded into nothingness, with only the ancient and discarded leaves of falls long past acting as landmarks amongst the dirt and roots.

Though for quite some time this part of the forest had been left untouched, the once dormant partition of the Western Forest was now being turned about and crushed underfoot as seven cloaked figures paced easily through. The leaves and discarded twigs and branches split, with a distinct yet hardly audible crackling noise letting off with every pace from the group.

The Kings Pantheon had been on the move for quite some time now, with the exception of Lyrren who was away on a voyage of his own to speak with some of the nobles of whom their services were required for the finalization of the reconstruction. They made a point of biding their time and made no point of rushing through the venture. In the interest of still allowing for rest and healing, breaks were consistently taken to ensure everyone was hydrated and wouldn’t get too fatigued on the journey to the Temple of Fire.

Arvin, as always, had taken the lead of the party and taken the responsibility of navigating them through the forests ambiguous and identical terrain. It hadn’t been his first time venturing to Kasai’s domain, although admittedly it’d been a good while since his last visit. With the demonic war, his fathers death, and his own sudden rise to the throne, it didn’t exactly make for ample time to visit the icon of his own power. But today would be different. Today he’d restore his connection with not only Kasai, but all four of his holy masters, and he’d finally get his Kingdom back on track from the shock to their faith.

‘But first’ Arvin paused and looked back to observe his friends, his emerald green eyes peering from beneath his hood. ‘we need to actually get there.’

Just ahead, perhaps another mile or two off through the dense foliage, the beginning of a clearing could be seen. As much as Arvin wanted to push through the last of their trek, he thought it best to rest once more. Even he was beginning to feel the all too familiar cramping pain in this thighs and knees. The voyage had been long, but they’d all persisted and continued moving without complaint. How fortunate he was to have been blessed with such a resilient pantheon.

Smirking to himself beneath the cloak, he raised his right hand to silently let them come to a halt.

“Let’s rest here for a little bit, we’re almost there. I expect to see you all drinking some water, and sitting down all the while.” He said in a low and soft voice.

Once everyone had followed his instructions, Arvin himself sat down and leaned up against a sturdy tree trunk, letting his eyes flutter shut for a moment as he felt a cool breeze waft past his stiff joints and aching muscles.

“We’re almost there...” he repeated.
.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.
Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat AiDEE-c0 AiDEE-c0 ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain Ramjammer Ramjammer The True Plague The True Plague

Crow's brooding and re-re-re-reviewing his notes as he ate had been, as one might expect, interrupted by the impromptu full Pantheon meeting. Funny. He didn't remember agreeing to it, but well, what does he know? All he knew was that he was, technically speaking, obligated to the whims of the King. Even if said whims are just venting emotions. Bleh. He's a doctor of the body, not the mind. Probably just an imbalance of chemicals. Note to self, sneak safe chemicals into the King's food or drink. In a few months, because he'd need to self test first. Could be worse, the King could've been outright insane. But no, he's just a troubled boy. Royalty, sheesh.

Apparently, the boy also lacked sense. It is highly unlikely that the Temple of Kasai was going anywhere, whereas exerting himself could set him back in terms of treatment. Alas, what did Crow know. Crow was literally his doctor, but shucks, oh well. The King knows best, surely. That's the mantra that keeps the kingdom running. Surely. Nevertheless, Crow eventually just gave up on the sensible option. Sure, the King actually needed sleep, but much like his father, hard to convince him otherwise once he's set a course of action. Wear one crown, and suddenly you're immune to being swayed by sensible advice. So, off they were set, to go to the Temple. Absolutely horrible that is, truly. Into the forest, given the one he chose. Demon filled forest. They had a total of like, two or three uninjured people. Or possibly four. He was relatively unharmed due to impeccable self care and the savage extraness that Raven insisted upon. Nemir has had worse. He, as far as he knew, believed Aurelia was healed, albeit scarred. Sergio was relatively unharmed. So two who could fight off demons are unharmed, the other two are injured and potentially ruining their progress thus far. Fucking rat bastards.

So, it was with a heavy heart Crow went to pack what he'd need. Of course, he'd being his trusty axe. Just in case. Reasonably, they'd not have to worry... But that kind of thinking devastated the Kingdom not too long ago. He also got a small pouch to put a small variety of vials in. He needs to bring stimulants, because you never fucking know nowadays. Not to mention, it should help Arvin and Aurin fight through any potential pain. Because they should be resting, but if they won't rest, they best pull their fucking weight.

It was with much anticipation, and slight annoyance, that Crow would make his leave into the forest with the Pantheon, bidding Raven to attend to the patients dutifully. He will find out what she's done, so don't get any ideas missy.

Now, contrary to the majority opinion, Crow does not burst into flames inside temples, nor does he necessarily blaspheme the Gods. He held no actual opinion negative or positive, besides being positive of their existence. He dealt with mortal bodies, not the struggles of comprehending higher existence. He doubted there'd be much for him to do... Though he did enjoy the forest. It reminded him faintly of a home long since gone. A home he's not seen in a long time. He knew it wasn't so, but well, he's not been in a lot of forests since.

However, he was pulled out of his little trip down memory lane by Arvin speaking. Crow had to suppress a small snort. Imagine Arvin telling them what to do to take care. Nevertheless, he did sit down, and carefully removed his mask to reveal his own smirk. "Water and taking a break is a good idea Arvin, but so would have taking some bed rest been. Hopefully, after this trip, you'll actually listen." He'd simply sit down where he stood, not bothering with the whole finding a tree to rest against or anything. Just sitting straight up middle of the path, reaching into his robes to produce a flask that he'd unscrew and take a quick sip of. If not for the fact that he wanted to be ready to move at a moment's notice, he'd have pulled his book out. Alas, nothing to do but jaw Jack in this break.

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain seasonedcat seasonedcat Ramjammer Ramjammer

Arvin flashed Crow a look of minor annoyance before rolling his eyes and letting them flutter shut once more.

“You’re one to talk on good ideas, dear Crow, when I consistently recall countless conversations of how minding your tongue would get you into far less trouble. And yet you refuse to listen as well. So who’s to blame in my current situation save for your poor influence on me?”

The Kings frown had grown into a smirk now. He hardly expected Crow to take his words seriously, only the same amount of snark in return was predicted to him in return.

“The only difference is my refusal to rest, and instead attend to the responsibilities I’ve been neglecting for the past two months won’t get me killed in the long run. Whereas your mouth eventually will if you keep pissing off the wrong nobles. But maybe that’s just me. Hopefully that doesn’t happen and you’ll instead be spared, maybe then you’ll be the one to finally listen.”

Arvin carefully watch Aurelia and Aurin, seeking their amused reactions in response to his words. He knew they’d been given quite a hard time by the old doctor, so he was doing his best to give the man a taste of his own medicine. Besides, poking fun at his age old friend and adult influence always put him in a good mood. Well that is until the inevitable outcome of Crow outwitting him and winning the friendly game of insults and jabs.
The True Plague The True Plague

Crow, in typical Crow fashion, outright ignored the annoyance in Arvin's gaze. Mainly because if he ever started paying attention to how many people he annoyed, he might actually consider being nicer. That, or he'd change profession to a jester so it'd literally be his job. One of the two. Really a coin flip if you think of it.

"Arvin, Arvin, Arvin." Crow began, a small grin on his face as he tilted his head slightly. "Haven't you learned the lesson of, 'Do as I say, not as I do?' I'm hardly the role model you should emulate. I believe that title should go to Miss Rimbaud, or perhaps Nemir since you do seem so stubbornly insistent on combat at the front. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Crow noted the small glance towards the nobles in their party, and his grin would only grow. Of course. He sought to try and give him some gentle ribbing for his harsh treatment of those troublesome two. If only they could be more like Sergio. Truly a shame. Oh, or like Nemir, but Nemir is sadly a dying breed of Noble who actually takes action. No matter.

"Well, if I happen to die from a loose tongue before this demon threat is gone, well, that's just the nobles giving themselves and everyone else enough rope to hang with, so you'd not let that happen just yet. So perhaps it'll kill me once my work is done. Exhaustion, however, may very well kill you, or in best case scenario, hinder your efforts to do your responsibilities." Unlike a verbal joust between him and Aurelia, Crow typically holds no venom or malice with the young King. It was hard to really get mad with him, unless he pushes the right buttons like he did at the party.

"However, don't worry. I'll forgive your ignorance on your limits just this once. After all, I'm sure you're pushing through and making a mockery of my efforts to attempt to impress the Lady Aurelia here, eh?" Crow smirked, shaking his head. Instead of waxing time repeating an argument he's had a lot, not only with Arvin, or his father, but pretty much anyone he's ever had to work on ever, he decided to turn it around. "Nothing like a brush with mortality to light the fire of desire, no?" Turn it around how? Make Arvin have to choose between denying the idea of the two being interested in each other, or embarrass himself by making him think on it, or seemingly agree about it.

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju

“Well my friend, it’s not entirely up to one as to how far a child shall emulate or choose to emulate their example of behavior. You simply weren’t cautious enough around an impressionable child, and now you’re simply enjoying the consequences of your actions.”

In all truth, Arvin knew full well his stubborn behavior and refusal to obey common sense when it came to his own personal health and well being, was an almost perfect emulation of his fathers. Many a times had his fathers old friends, such as Nemir, told him of such things. It was always the same remarks as how he was just like his father, which Arvin took as a compliment. As if he could strive to be half as productive as his father was then there was hope for his Kingdom yet.

“True, I will be the one to keep death waiting for your arrival, atleast until I’ve run out of use for you.” Heavy snark littered his voice, making all too obvious that he didn’t truly mean that. “Just as you’ll be the one to save me from my death by exhaustion. Knowing your tactics and the influence you have on Tess, I know full well that you’ll slip something into my meal or drink later on. Perhaps a sleeping agent? Or even a muscle relaxant? Hell, I wouldn’t even be surprised if you used some sort of apothecary that would paralyze me and force me to get the rest I need. So looks like we’ll both be the ones to keep one another from knocking on Heavens door, atleast until the time is right that is.”

Crows next words unsurprisingly caught Arvin off guard. To say the King wasn’t expecting some sort of retort that would win the argument so soon would be a lie, but it didn’t stop him from feeling disappointed that so soon had Crow had put him in a checkmate of sorts. Quickly though, the King recovered before the silence could last more than a few seconds.

“I seek to impress no one, save for my Gods and my people. If I truly did seek to impress someone as radiant as Lady Aurelia, I know I’d have to try much harder than my stubborn advances towards death to impress her.” There was a subtle pink tinge to the kings cheeks that he did his best to hide under his cloak. He knew Crow had already won, but at this point he was just tying to save face. What’s worse is that Sergio was here to listen in on all of this, which didn’t bode well if he chose to spread the word so soon or hold it as ransom over Arvin’s head should he say the wrong things. “Even then, I’d still probably meet the brunt of her heel if I was foolish enough to pursue her. She’s a woman with an acquired taste, and far better men than myself have tried. So I wouldn’t dare to pay the fool and make an attempt, unless I was led to believe I had even the slightest chance.”

Despite his embarrassment in the moment, he still couldn’t help but grin to himself and glance over at Aurelia once more. It was ambiguous really as to whether his words were intended as flattery or an insult, but all she’d need to do is ask later on if she truly wanted to know. Perhaps then Arvin would I finally see where her thoughts did sit with him.
The True Plague The True Plague Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat

After delivering all of her letters, Aurelia found herself invited to tea with the king. It was a wonderful surprise and she was quite delighted to attend until a certain doctor showed up. As if things could not get any worse, the king proposed that they go on an expedition into the overgrown lands of the West on some dream's whim. The boat voyage was reasonable, but that was not the choice that Aurin went with. No, he opted to walk. Now Aurelia was never one to openly question the king's decisions but to WALK there!? They were the royal pantheon, not some sort of travelling circus! Sergio had been equally as thrilled as she, but nothing they said could change the king's mind once it had been set. Honestly, Aurelia doubted it was possible to match Arvin in a test of stubbornness. Not even death would have the patience.

Once the plans were settled there was hardly any time to pack necessities, let alone the trimmings of a noble lady. It was a real predicament. With the absence of a mother or sisters, she doubted Arvin had any clue as to what a noble lady had to go through on a daily basis just to maintain her appearance, let alone a Luxenri lady. Her cosmetics alone were enough to take up an entire bag.

The only one who understood the gravity of the situation was Sergio, who she realized was also experiencing quite the dilemma. There was only one thing to do; a temporary alliance. In the scarce time they had to prepare for the 'adventure' the two of them compared cosmetics and found ones that they shared. Surprisingly, she and Sergio had many similar powders and smudge, often from the same merchant. There were even a few rare colours that Aurelia took a liking to. In exchange, she allowed Sergio to use an exotic perfume from the southern isles. The bottle was a stained violet with twistings of gold, a gift from her mother, and conveniently small.

When it came to packing the clothing, Sergio was exceptionally deft at folding the fabrics efficiently (which Aurelia could only presume to be a skill used for espionage disguises). Thanks to him they could fit their clothing in one bag while the cosmetics could fit in another. Aurelia opted to take the cosmetics, while Sergio carried the clothes. They were not perfect, but they were perhaps the first and last noble-survival-kit.

✧ ✧ ✧​

casual wear.png When the journey began Aurelia tried to convince herself on the positives. The sovereignless West was a land that had been abandoned long ago, lost to civilization at the claws of the demon hoard. It was a place steeped in mystery and history, a land she had only explored in the pages of books. At the very least, she could find some interest in the overgrown bones of humanity. That excitement lasted about fifteen minutes into the expedition.

Aurelia and Sergio lagged behind the others at a consistently slow pace, prone to taking many stops. After an hour or so of walking, Aurelia could feel the exhaustion gnawing at her legs and soles, where blisters were forming. She had half the mind to quit, but a few off-handed quips from Crow was enough to turn her resolve to tempered steel. Aurelia knew he thought she would fail, wanted her to fail, and out of pure spite, she dug up the energy to prove him wrong. She might be slow and had to take frequent breaks, but she did not let herself give up.

She was too far to hear Arvin's declaration of rest, but when the group stopped she got the message well enough. Of course, she and Sergio were the last to catch up with the group. "Thank the four! It's about time we stopped..." she huffed, her chest heaving from the exertion. Corsets were not designed for hikes, but she would rather be torn apart by wolves than go a day without looking her absolute best. Besides, she had been wearing corsets since she was thirteen. A little bit of breathlessness was nothing but business as usual for her.

She looked around for a suitable resting spot but was dismayed to find dirty grass and leaves. Even though she had chosen a rather bland dress and cloak for her journey, her skin crawled at the idea of soiling her clothes. She spotted a boulder with a relatively flat top and walked towards it, feet aching. As much as she wanted to collapse onto the rock like some feather bed, she first dug out a handkerchief from her bag and daintily placed it on the boulder. Only then did she sit down on top of it.

"Ahh..." she sighed in relief. For all she cared she could be sitting on a cloud right now. Just getting off of her feet was pure bliss. Aurelia ran her fingers through her hair, catching them on the plait of her braid. It was a shame to keep her hair bound, but it could not be helped. She did not want it getting caught on branches or worse...getting leaves and other filth in it! Just thinking of it made her shiver and take out a hand mirror, inspecting her face and hair. Aside from a sheen of sweat and a flushed complexion, she was not looking as horrible as she feared. She carefully dabbed away some perspiration from her face with a cloth, careful not to upset her cosmetics.

Over the edge of her reflection, she caught a glimpse of Arvin and Crow conversing. She could hear them talking about her though acted like she did not, focussing on her hand mirror instead. Hearing her name in conversations was a normal thing, and she got used to picking it up in a crowd, but this time she felt prickles of anxiousness. What was his stance on her? She shifted her eyes from her mirror, making sure to cast her gaze away when he looked over. Did he really think she was above the king? A marriage with him would secure her family's power in Orn. It was all her mother could talk about since the letter arrived. Alas, she knew the sweetness of words when the subject was within earshot. Still, she couldn't help but feel chuffed at the glowing description...especially in front of Crow.

She got up from her seat and approached Arvin and Crow. As per usual, she curtsied in front of Arvin and pretended that Crow did not exist. "Your grace. How much farther until we arrive at this temple? We have been at it for eight hours. I hope we will arrive long before nightfall..."

Crow couldn't help the small chuckle that came from him over Arvin's heavy usage of snark. Sure, did he feel the king needed rest and not answers? Yes. However, he won't lie, it's nice to see him well enough to happily exchange snark. If not for Crow's annoyance at his interruption earlier, Crow might've humored it continuing further. Crow had no actual authority to punish the King, but Crow shall make his displeasure of his routine being disturbed known. He could've been going through demon guts at the moment, or discussing his potential plan with the blacksmith for creating demon weapons for the Pantheon... Or at least for himself. An axe, although useful, could be improved upon by those Ferrum Cambion blades.

"Of course. My job is literally to keep you from making your appearance amongst the Gods before your time. Also, I'm aghast to hear you think I'd resort to such tactics. That just poisons the relationship. No, no. I'll just sneak up on you at some point and tie you to the bed for a day, maybe two. A nice little prank between friends." No wonder he wasn't friends with most of his patients. However, Crow at least felt his head wouldn't be on the chopping block for this. After all, he's still useful, hah.

As Arvin went on to explain his seemingly complicated feelings on Aurelia, he couldn't help himself. He actually fell over laughing. Thankfully he didn't land on his mask. Bent beak is not as intimidating, and he knew it'd hurt if he landed on it.

"With all due respect for that annoyance, there is literally not a better man to try. Given the fact she's a noble, her family most likely wants to see the family ascend higher. What higher position is there, than marrying into the royal line? The only other option is to continue marrying nobles of the same amount of wealth, or at least similar in terms of power. However, given her attitude and seeming expectation of being pampered, I'd say she'd much rather go even higher up the social ladder, rather than merely staying on the same rung of second best."

Crow spoke as if she were not even there. Why? Because she was being a rude little shit and not even bothering to address him as she butted into the current conversation. Women. Gosh. How annoying. He even had the respect to at least refer to her as Lady Aurelia, instead of just saying her name or referring to her as noble brat 3. She was the runt of the nobles collected here. It made sense. Tiniest. Overcompensates for her inadequacies, that he sees anyways. Also extremely annoying and unwanted at the moment.

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju

“Kinky my friend, exceptionally kinky. But in my humble opinion, I suggest you save the antics of tying one down to a bed for your closer lady friends. Despite good of a friend as you are to me.”

Arvin had to say, whipping out quips like this and bantering with his life long friend bode well for his mood. Despite the depressed exterior he had been living in for the past few weeks, it all had been shattered by one day full of hiking with those closest to him. Well, almost all of those closest to him. But regardless, already he felt his attitude and mental health improving greatly from its deficits.

Crow was once more on the offensive, this time taking a harder aim at Lady Luxenri than Arvin himself. But the King was just as prepared to defend his allies as he was himself in this combat of words.

“You maybe be correct in saying that her family desires such things, but any noble family would. It’s simply a trait of the trade. But the question remains dear Crow, does she share the same intent? Does her heart bare the same lust for wealth and power? Not so, my friend. For only the purest of souls with the best of intent may join a Prophets pantheon, chosen by the Gods themselves for this purpose. She exhibits this trait quite splendidly, as do you. You are no different. Yet people doubt you, just as you doubt her. Surely you can learn from the ways many have wronged you and be better than them? After all, that’s what allows for the cohesive nature of a pantheon. To set aside personal wants and grudges, and instead dedicate our lives to the success of our people.”

“I don’t see her on a rung for second, rather a bar of equals between myself and the rest of you. And of course that works the same vice versa. No one of us is more important than the other. We all work to progress, and it is only together that this is possible. As with cogs in a machine, work cannot be done unless all are present and all mesh and spin together as one. The sooner you see this, the sooner the cogs can begin to spin faster.”

Whelp, he’d gone and done it. Turned a battle of wits to a full on lecture for his friend and all others listening on. Not that he cared, as it was an important lesson to put out there. He just hoped they’d heed his words soon. Otherwise things might be unnecessarily difficult.

Once he had finished his tangent, he noticed Aurelia had come forward with a question on the length of their voyage remaining to which the King grinned. Outstretching his hand to the start of the clearing he’d already looked upon, he did guide her eyes in its direction.

“It’s not but a stones throw from where we are now. I’d say another half hour or so and we’ll finally be able to rest my lady. Don’t worry, we’ll be in the shelter of the temple long before the night overtakes this forest. I’ve done my best to plan our course carefully as to avoid any unnecessary conflict.” He looked up toward her and let his arm rest again, “Oh and one other thing, how many times must I insist you refrain from formalities in a personal setting such as this? Sort of detracts from the dynamic of friends we’re supposed to share, no?”
The True Plague The True Plague Juju Juju

"I don't need sleep, I need answers."

And thus was the young King's verdict issued. And thus did Nemir stand aside and watch the man stride purposefully if in a pained way from the room.

Paladin. Soldier. Somewhat Guardian, if in name only, she was all of this. And yet she lacked the strength of will to forestall Arvin's impertinence.

"Is this all that I am good for now? Standing by and wringing my hands like a Mother Hen, all the while Arvin throws himself back into the fire?" The Judicator had thought bitterly as she gathered what little effects she would need for their journey, It wouldn't even take half the week at the most. There was no need to overburden herself, or really Ghan, as he'd be carrying everything for her. He didn't mind.

With no other focus for her energies left after that, Nemir had been once again left to the unbearable clamor of her negative thoughts. It was troublesome that Arvin could not be bothered to at least pause for a moment to consider resting. The Judicator might have been able to forgive the young king's insistence on training when he should have been devoting his energies to recovering. Instead, and to her steadily growing shame, he'd decided that not only was a miles long trek into the wilderness in order, but that he'd also be walking the whole way. Nemir had been as successful at swaying Arvin's mind then, as she had when she'd caught him in the courtyard. Despite the combined might of both her and Crow's disapproval, Arvin had grown increasingly adamant about the matter. In the end, there was naught that the Judicator could do but cede to the King's orders in impotent silence.

Arvin needed and demanded answers. He was more than willing to pry them from the stony grasp of the God's themselves if need be. The pursuit of truth, and its ever-present partner; justice was not one engaged in lightly. The paltry sum of one's body, mind, and soul were often the toll paid to traverse that road. The young King, eyes alight with fervor, and voice thundering with conviction meant to pay that price with no hesitation. It was not Nemir's place to tell him otherwise.

Answers. All among the Pantheon's numbers craved them. It was no secret among them, even if they'd never explicitly spoken on the matter. Intrinsically they seemed to understand that there was no need. They all had some variation of the same question on their mind.

"Why?"

Nemir didn't possess the insight to answer that question. Such wisdom eluded the grasp of the mortal mind. But not those of their distressingly silent God's. Only they had the answers that Arvin, nay. ALL of them desperately sought. But only one among them. Their stubborn, foolhardy King, had the power to interpret the words of the God's directly.

They all wanted answers. But not all of them had the power to pass the words needed to waiting ears. Chief among them, Nemir. She drowned in the mire at her thoughts as she trekked through the dead forest. The chill of wind was but a slight breeze when compared to the cold dark place from her dreams. There he waited, pale, cold, and eternally disdainful of her. He too had questions. He too demanded answers.

Nemir stalked through the dying woods. The stare she kept glued to Arvin's back was hidden well beneath her helm. Still, he waited. And over the crunch of long dead leaves. The Judicator could hear the dreadful rasp of his voice.

"Why are my sons dead, Nemir? Why did you let them die?"
Kungen asked, not with the anger or sorrow expected of a grieving Father. But with the firm expectation a King laid upon the shoulders of their greatest warrior. The mantle of accountability. Kungen asked. Nemir listened.

But she had no answer.

Their journey was to be a swift one, but the scenery made the telling of time and distance harder than it needed to be. Dead and dying trees barred them in from all sides like a decaying prison. Dried leaves carpeted the ground in all directions, muffling their footsteps where they were damp enough. Otherwise an ever-present dry hissing filled Nemir's ears as they trudged deeper into the dark forest. It was akin to wading through a pit of snakes, though without the treat of being bitten. At least, as far as Nemir could tell anyway. There was no telling what lurked beneath the dry foliage, and Nemir was suddenly glad for the metal greaves protecting her legs and feet.

Their pace wasn't much helped by the fact that some among their number weren't suited for a daylong hike through the wilds of Orn. Arvin's own injuries notwithstanding, Sergio and Aurelia were having the most difficulty keeping up. Whatever irritation Nemir felt towards the pair of tittering Nobles was kept well under wraps. Lashing out was unproductive, and it wasn't as if yelling at either of them would cause the two to sprout legs strong enough to carry them to their destination with no issue.

Nemir also didn't have the patience to deal with whatever whining the two of them would undoubtedly start up should she choose to air her grievances.

Sergio at least had the tact to keep himself fairly subdued when expressing his displeasure. Though, Nemir was forced to consider the baleful though that the Spymaster held enough cards in any situation that full-blown anger has unnecessary. At any given moment she'd be playing by his rules, and that wasn't a risk Nemir was willing to open herself up to.

Aurelia ranged from icily snide, to loudly outraged depending on the level of offense she felt she'd been subjected to. The locale definitely played a factor in the volume and intensity of her outbursts, and the silent woods were essentially an invitation for the smaller woman to get needlessly loud if she so desired. Nemir was suffering from enough of a headache as it was. Inviting disaster by informing Aurelia that her physical capabilities left much to be desired would only worsen it.

Eventually, Arvin bade them all to stop and rest. How far they'd traveled was still a mystery. The only means of discerning their distance was to mark the time through the length of the shadows. Nemir found that feat to be easier said than done. A pervasive gloom shrouded the area in darkness. Save where weak sunlight filtered through gnarled branches, most of what lie around them was nothing but chill shadow.

Blessedly, the small clearing they huddled in spared them from the murk of the dead forest. At least for a brief spell.The Judicator's armored back found the trunk of a nearby tree, and she slid to sit on the ground with audible creaking noises. Not all of it was her armor, and Nemir winced beneath her helm. Bones and joints popped almost embarrassingly and she let out a discomforted huff.

"I really am getting too old for this shit."
she thought dourly. A quick headcount of her companions revealed that none seemed any worse for the wear. Whatever hurts they might have had, they were mostly superficial.

Nemir's gaze found Aurelia seated primly atop a large boulder and she sighed lowly. the woods weren't kind to strangers on the best of days. They were especially unkind to those that didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Nemir didn't consider Aurelia to be afoot by any means. The feeble-minded weren't long to survive the Viper's rest of court Politics. But as she watched the little Noble dab cautiously at her face to avoid smearing her makeup, the Judicator Could not but help to wonder what the hell was going on in her head.

"Who the hell is she dressed up for? The damn deer?"
Nemir mused in silence. There could be no other reason, save for the fact that Aurelia might want to leave a good-looking corpse for the wolves to gnaw on if she should perish. Nemir didn't know why that would be the case. Wolves were notorious for their bad taste in aesthetics.

Her gaze trailed to a suddenly embarrassed looking Arvin who seemed to balk under Crow's attention when they’d been playfully bantering not even a moment before. She couldn't make out what words they exchanged between them, but it seemed important enough for Aurelia to suddenly insert herself into the conversation with a startling amount of vigor.

Or maybe it wasn't.

Either way, it wasn't her problem, and she wasn't about to get involved.

Aurelia's eye twitched at Crow's comment. Of course, he was quite right... as much as she hated to admit, even in her own thoughts. Marrying Arvin would be the best move for her family. Still, Crow was wrong on one thing; she did not expect to be pampered in her marriage. The young Lord Paleglade had seen to that. Marriage was her duty to her family, something she took very seriously. Personal opinions on the matter were meaningless though she had to admit that out of all her suitors Arvin seemed to be the best so far.

She wanted to interrupt the conversation there, but slowed in her steps when she heard what else Arvin had to say. Her throat tightened at what she heard. Could it be true that she had a pure soul? Everyone in house Luxenri, including her, had assumed the invitation to be nothing but a power move. She was, after all, the black queen that her father had been saving for some time. Removing her from his hand meant that Lord Luxenri had to be careful of where he moved around on the chessboard, and dissuading any lowly house from opposing the combined forces of Luxenri and the royal armies.

It was the only conclusion that had made sense, as Aurelia was sure she was no saint. Did the gods really choose her? Arvin kept saying they did and he was the prophet-king after all. Even if her father did not think everything he said was from the gods. Perhaps she could have believed that a few months ago, but since getting to know him better she knew that Arvin was anything but a liar. His faith was unshakable as well. If he was faking this than he would have to be a better actor than Sergio.

She just wished she could be half of what he the gods thought of her.

Aurelia stood near the two, blinking in surprise at Arvin and his words. There was a moment of stunned silence before she cleared her throat and announced her question. He pointed towards the clearing and told her the second most delightful news she had ever heard.

A genuine smile sprang onto her face, "Half an hour? Well, it is certainly about time! I was beginning to fear we would be walking to the ends of the world!"

She narrowed her eyes, trying to glimpse the temple through the ranks of trees. Now that the journey was at a close she could feel a small rush of energy, mostly out of excitement to rest, but also to see this temple. Every city had a shrine dedicated to The Four, but this temple was entirely dedicated to just Kasai, Lady of Fire. She wondered what sort of architecture and art she would find. Would it be grand or homely in its appearance? She heard that all the monks were eunuchs and had shaven heads, even the women. Of course, that was from her brother who was known to stretch truths.

Not for the first time, Arvin commented on her formal greetings. He did not like them, but Aurelia knew that a king should be addressed properly no matter the 'setting', as he put it. He spoke of friendship as well, which always made her as weary as Arvin disliked his titles. Friendship meant something different to nobles, unlike the king, who she thought truly meant the word. Sometimes Aurelia had to question if Arvin was even real.

Aurelia looked down at the ground and smiled, dipping her head politely, "At least once more, your grace, as always."

The matter of the Pantheon’s meeting seemed at first, a normal function of business, but soon it became obvious that King Arvin had much more planned for the group. They all seemed to know to some degree or another how the young King had been troubled since the horde attack on his birthday. Truth be told, each of them carried some piece of that horror with them. However, Arvin’s reached to an interesting extent, with these prophetic dreams he was finally sharing.

There were of course some mixed concerns regarding the injuries of some members, and some wondering on the legitimacy of his hunt for answers. King Arvin was past patiently waiting. Ser Elliot chimed in, addressing his own well-being and insisting that “a walk through the woods” would be a pleasant break from his usual training. As far as Aurin was concerned, his faith in the Four had him convinced of the authenticity of the King’s dreams. Why would they continue to plague him if not for a reason? Action seemed the only plausible solution, so the Knight was all in for this one, happy to serve.

Once it was decided, Aurin quickly made arrangements as to how training would be run in his absence. He left Kip with instructions to relay, and a task to continue gathering his reports. Other than that he was to fall in line with the other recruits for training until they returned. With that in place, the Knight gathered a few necessities. He slipped a leather carrying strap onto his spear so he could wear it on his back for the trek, and his back-up dagger was secured around his waist. He needed little else for the journey, but made sure to bring some items to keep his hair in order: comb, extra leather cords, pins, a small (but admittedly expensive) vial of infused oil. As always, the Knight could afford to find room for a little vanity in his packing, but upon seeing the lengths to which the other Nobles of the Pantheon took this, he wasn’t so concerned about gathering attention for his own preening.

Eight hours in, and that happiness to serve was being tested. Doesn’t matter who you are, walking that long will take a toll on you. It would’ve been nice to make this journey on horseback, however, Aurelia was already doing enough complaining for all the Nobles so Aurin didn’t intend to join in with his thoughts on the lack of horses. He also refused to complain, and prove those right who found themselves concerned with the limits of his physical well-being. He wasn’t about to slip up and let that pecker faced Doctor get any ruse out of him. Instead, he took up the rear to keep his distance so that was less of an issue. With Sergio and Aurelia falling behind as they did, it didn’t seem logical to let them get caught too far away from the group without any defense, the perfect excuse. Considering his job history, Aurin was well acquainted with the task of accompanying Nobles less fit than him during travel, so he attempted to offer occasional light-hearted encouragement, distractions, or feed into the spite that was driving Aurelia to push on.

Finally it seemed Arvin had decided to take a real break. Lagging behind with the other Nobles of the group had already afforded the Knight several short breaks, so he was doing fairly well considering that. Still, the chance to actually sit after all this time was very welcome. He caught up before Aurelia and Sergio did, and found a fallen trunk that was calling his name. Aurin paused to reach his arms over his head and take a few stretches before perching himself on the log and crossing his feet out in front of him. Closing his eyes, he turned his head to either side, cracking his neck before tuning in to the conversation happening among the others. Of course Crow started in with his chiding, but it seemed King Arvin was up for the game, snidely playing back and tossing a look to Aurelia and the Knight. Aurin caught his eyes and gave a nod and a short chuckle as a response to his comments of Crow’s ‘gracious etiquette’ towards Nobility.

The two kept going at it, so Aurin went about taking the King’s advice to have some water, and then started drifting off into his own thoughts. He dwiddled a bit with the twisted metal bracelet around his wrist, the counterpart of which, a matching circlet, now resided with Kipling. Surely the boy was doing fine, and made sure to carry out all his orders. The squire hadn’t failed him yet, so Aurin had faith things were playing out as expected back at the royal castle.

It was nice to afford some time away to come on such an important journey, even if it was turning out to be such a long and tiring one. The Knight kept reminding himself not to think about how much things were hurting now, because it would undoubtedly come back to haunt him even more come the morrow. Instead he had to keep solace in the search for these answers to King Arvin’s dreams. He tried to imagine what they might find at the temple, denying the notion that it would lead to nothing. The Gods didn’t give King Arvin this quest for nothing. The King believed this too, but his faith extended even more as he began speaking again about how his Pantheon was also chosen, and brought to him through means of purity.

Of course, Aurin piqued interest at this, but as much faith as he had in Arvin’s place as a prophet, he still wasn’t sure he could believe it for the rest of them. It was quite the dissonance for him to compare them all, placing them to such an equally high regard. Sure, some of the Pantheon probably had pure intent, but it was easy to pick out motives for each of them as well, including the Knight. Is Aurin’s faith a strong leading force for him? Yes. But he was also constantly reminded that he sought out this position as a means of redemption. This concern stuck with him. So what is it then that guides me, faith or shame?

Sighing, he brought a hand up to wipe his face, pushing these thoughts out of his head, and also his loose curls back into their place. It was now that the King let them know how close they were to reaching the temple, and that was enough of a relief to bring back the Knight’s morale, and so it seemed, that of the others. He chuffed at the King’s insisting on being treated as equals. Ser Elliot was reminded by quirks such as this that while Arvin might be the Gods’ King, he was also quite young, and maybe a bit idealistic at times, as he himself had been not too many years ago.

“Good luck beating formalities out of a noble, your grace. We’re practically bred with them.” The Knight chimed in, adding some fuel to the fire with a grin. Some of us have to be born with some class. He refrained from adding, though he cut a side eye towards a certain non-noble before taking a sip of water.

1576627374807.png
~Sergio~​
1576627336480.pngSergio couldn't help but feel his skin crawl during the journey. It was the same as the times his parents made him trudge threw god awful forests such as this one. They say it is going to be fun but it never is. Sadly this journey was much longer than the ones he was used to. Which meant more leg pain and more 'wtf is that, ew don't let it touch me' moments. At first, he was glad that he had a fellow friend in this, Aurelia that is, who would also not enjoy this as much as him. But as the trip went on he noticed she was much more motivated to complete this than he was. She was near the back of course, but he couldn't help but be aware that he was farther back than her.

Sergio couldn't help but let out a sigh of pure relief at being given permission to stop. At this point, he was farther behind Aurelia than he would have liked, not to mention the fact it took him a bit to reach where everyone else was. He could feel embarrassment creep up his neck at this, causing the burning feeling of anger in his chest. He rolled his eyes at himself as he tried to quietly heave near a tree while the other's conversed.

He leaned against a tree next to him when he felt something wet touch his hand and he retracted it quickly. Muttering a curse he whipped the mystery liquid on a handkerchief before throwing it in the woods. He was not putting that back in his pocket. Sergio could honestly not wait for this damned trip to be over already. He did not become the best in his trade for it to be spent walking around in some forest.

He was still catching his breath, more quietly this time, when he cast a glance over at the group conversing near him. The blush on the kings face from what he was talking about sending a snake of pain threw his chest that made Sergio freeze. He let out a breath causing it to numb, it was still there in his chest but he could ignore it, as he always did. When you are like him you get used to ignoring things like that. It was so common if you didn't you would never be happy.

Running a hand threw his hair, cringing at the sweat he felt, he let out a breath as he tried to cool his body down. He would have killed to sit down or lean against something but he would be damned if he was going to get himself or his clothing dirty in this god awful place. Not to mention the tree was no longer an option. He shifted his legs painfully as he tried to get rid of the pain and tense muscles in them one at a time.

Sergio let out a breath of a laugh at Aurelia's actions, they were just so Aurelia like. Reaching into his bag he removed the bladder from his bag and began to drink out of it. He honestly could not wait to be out of this place. He has probably repeated that so many times to himself but it was just so true. He then let out a long sigh as he remembered they would also have to walk all the way back. This was going to be so much fun. ;=;

"To be fair the noble's are bred with them because if they don't they would surely be eaten up in court. Saying the wrong thing when your status is high could mean the end of your whole carrier after all not everyone is lucky enough to not have to worry about such simple things," a quick glance at Crow was sent at these words before it returned to the center of the group, "I would know, after all, it is my job."
Juju Juju Siren77 Siren77 ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain Ramjammer Ramjammer The True Plague The True Plague

Crow chuckled at that, shaking his head. Sometimes, Arvin surprised him with his quips. Not always, but sometimes. Crow was always left to wonder how this kid learned this shit. Crow definitely didn't teach it to him in any way whatsoever. That'd be ridiculous.

"Oh don't flatter yourself Arvin. If I were interested in that, and swung that way, I still wouldn't choose you. You're almost like a son to me, much like Raven is pretty much my daughter. As for choosing a female friend to do? The only women I'm friends with are Tessa, who is too young, and Nemir, who I'm fairly certain would lock me up for trying." Crow took a small sip from his flask, eyes stuck to the trees overhead as he refused to sit back up from when he fell over laughing.

Of course, said eyes would roll once the lecture started. Great, another fucking lecture. He'd almost understand, if not for the simple fact he didn't mean anything ill of Aurelia when he said it. No, he was trying to talk Arvin up because Crow felt Arvin undersold himself and laid bare reasons Aurelia would want to get with the King.

"A good speech Arvin, but I truly meant nothing ill of the young Luxneri. I'm pointing out, from the point of view of a Noble, there's not really a better option than the young and eligible King. Because you severely undersell yourself if you think better have tried and failed at winning her hand."

"As for the ladder rung analogy? That's more in terms of society. There's royalty, high nobility, low nobility, and peasants. She's, in a social standpoint, a rung below the hhighest.The only ill I spoke of her directly is indirectly calling her spoiled. Perhaps an unfair call, but typical amongst nobles, especially considering what she's packed for a trip into the woods."

Crow made no comment on the purity of soul bit. Why? He... Didn't believe himself to be fitting of such. He was, nowadays a doctor who often had to kill his own patients because nothing could be done for them. Albeit perhaps as not much blood as Nemir, Crow has blood on his hands. He's not been the best person he could be. If not for the demonic invasion, he would've at least sent a few orphans or Lyncaster himself to the grave. That's not even accounting the many times he's used the corpses of former comrades to further his knowledge on his craft. How many died getting him the demons he'd use to further himself to the position of royal doctor? Did he have good intents? Yes. However, his spirit surely must be anything other than pure.

Idly, he'd spare a glance towards the other members of the Pantheon. There was Nemir, being responsible as per usual. Not getting involved with their conversation as she rested. Fair enough, yeah. That's probably the right choice. Shame he couldn't act his age and do the same.

Aurin, of course, inputted his unnecessary opinion. Yeah, he caught the side eye he received. Fuck you. Manners are for pussies who are afraid of upsetting another. Got a problem knight boy? Bring it up, or keep it to yourself coward.

However, at least Sergio had a point. Thank the Gods for Sergio, who was at least a halfway sensible noble. Understanding the fact that someone who doesn't have to worry about what he says is sometimes a lucky trait.

"Manners are really only useful if you happen to need them. The only manners I need are bedside manners, which I have in spades for my patients. Outside of that, they're encouraged but not necessarily necessary for me."

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain Ramjammer Ramjammer seasonedcat seasonedcat

Sergio, though the poor man looked absolutely miserable, found it in him to draw some notes on Aurin’s comment. The Knight couldn’t disagree, and Crow didn’t seem bothered either as he expanded on the matter with his own take. Ser Elliot bid into this exchange.

“Yes, I suppose we all have our tools of the trade. A farmer has their plow, a warrior their weapon, a noble their wits, Crow’s lack of manners... No matter the case, habits aren’t easily changed, as we know.” Aurin retorted with a jesting smirk, pocketing his water pouch. He doubted this would be taken as an insult despite their opposition, considering the obvious absence of regard given by the Royal Doctor. If they were going to be stuck in the woods together, banter was at least preferable to jaded silence. It was, as he saw it, the most shallow of social interactions anyhow, and one that he could afford to have.

The Knight looked to Aurelia and Sergio, whose legs were practically trembling, yet they both still stood there while the rest were sitting despite their many complaints. His eye then traveled to the the cloth Aurelia had placed on the boulder behind her and he dragged his palm down his face internally. He sighed and stood, removing his spear from around him, and then unfastening his cloak. He shook it off and then laid the dark blue fabric over the log he’d been on before sitting cross legged on the ground with the weapon across his lap.

“Please, take a seat while we’ve been afforded the time.” He encouraged the two, gesturing to the spot he offered. Lolling behind with them made him aware of their difficulty thus far, but a Noble’s pride prevails over most matters. Aurin certainly didn’t skip expenses on his taste in fashion either, but he wasn’t necessarily worried about ruining any parts of his outfit, much less a cloak of all things. It was somewhat expected to happen, and he’d just make it someone else’s problem to ensure he had it repaired or replaced later if it fell below his standard. Some of the others wouldn’t understand these frivolous matters, but he was used to serving high nobility, and giving into such demands. He didn’t need to be asked to see where small actions might be appreciated, although not expected of him within this company. If he didn't watch out for them a little bit, they'd just end of dragging the group back even more, and that thought pained him more than soiling his cloak.

The Knight’s eyes traveled upwards briefly, appraising the looming trees around them. Of course the forest looked the same as it had the rest of the day, but pausing to take it in was different than trudging through it. “I do look forward to reaching the temple. I, for one, have not had the pleasure of visiting before.” He mused, wondering if maybe any of the others had any tales about what it held. It might be nice to know what to expect. Regardless, they would all be there soon enough at this rate.

seasonedcat seasonedcat The True Plague The True Plague Juju Juju and open interaction

Meanwhile....

Whilst the Pantheon conducted their business in the Western forests near the temple of Kasai, the military of Örn’s people continued conducting business as usual. Many platoons, given they were the most individual form of a unit amongst the ranks, were conducting an afternoon session of training which could consist of a myriad of things. From Swordsmanship, to footwork, all the way down to advanced individual training on more intricate forms of weaponry such as javelins, pikes, shields (both off hand and sentry archetypes), and even the larger forms of machinery such as the catapults and Atlas Crossbows. All of these things were conducted based on the platoons needs, and the type of company they represented. From Calvary, to Infantry, all the way down to Advanced Foot Soldiers. All were training, and all were preparing. Preparing to deploy, engage, and destroy those that wished to harm their people and their King. They knew not when the day of war and the Apocalypse would finally come, but they knew they must be ready. And so, they trained.

Aurin’s gaggle of misguided new recruits could be seen conducting Physical Training, conditioning first their bodies before they could begin chiseling the mindset of a soldier as we as the basic skills they’d need know. All recruits of all backgrounds needed to endure this, so they were nothing special. But, while they jogged about the perimeter of the many barracks present within the Kingdom, the exact opposite of their indiscipline also began to be on the move.

Bravo Company, second battalion, forty-seventh infantry division. The Kättare Soldiers. Masters of Steel, wearers of the White Cord, and the embodiment of what every soldier wished they could become someday. They were seasoned veterans, with many having fought in the many skirmishes against the Demon Horde’s both during Kungen’s reign as well as Arvin’s. With efficiency and a complete understanding of how the denizens of Hell operated and behaved, compliments of the good Doctor Crow of course, they could ‘dismantle and destroy a small horde of the fuckers’ in mere moments.

They were known to be the best, and proud of it. But it was no simple task to join their numbers. One had to prove themselves to be mentally callous against all pressures, have a physicality as steel to withstand their very bones been destroyed beneath their flesh, and expert swordsmanship that will act with efficiency and precision in all mindsets and conditions. This was to be proven in an Eight week course full of marching, running, strategizing, fighting, and leading. The fail rate was dauntingly high, but once someone made it into their specialized company, the reward was oh so worth it.

They weren’t special in terms of training though, as despite their proven strength, they still had to train just as often as the rest. So, one by one, the company began collecting together from their previous activities during the day. A flat pad of stone just outside their assigned housing was their usual meeting point, with each platoon segregating as needed. Falling in at the position of parade rest, and standing by for orders. No one moved, no one spoke, hell onlookers might even think they weren’t breathing or blinking at all. But one figured moved, one that the Kättare knew all too well, who wore a golden braided cord on his left arm as opposed to their white. Once at the center between the four platoons, the figure ceased moving.

“COMPANY!” Somehow, the 233 bodies present went more rigid than before. “ATT-EN-TION!!!” At those three syllables, in a smooth and uniform manner, the arms of the soldiers dropped from their lower back and were pressed against the outside of their thighs as their feet came together in a forty-five degree angle.

Siris Houk, Company Commander over the Kättare, scanned his soldiers over with a stone cold frown. The just as icy eyes of him looked carefully over each and every one, looking for something out of place. Looking for someone whispering to their buddies, someone out of position, or someone who dared to show up wearing his cord looking like an absolute mess. Anyone who lacked the discipline to wear the armor, it’s crest, and utilities properly were as good as first day primates to him. Uniformity was the first step in discipline and efficiency, and if one grew complacent and chose to forget this law then he’d gladly remove them from his company in an instant. They could be filtered out to some basic infantry unit with the common grunts, he didn’t care. His men were to be the best, at all times and in all places.

In all honesty, it was rare for someone who made it into his Company to grow complacent, but it did happen. He’d seen it enough to know that it was far too common to his liking. But weeding out the weak who made themselves known was an excellent way to keep all others in check. To hell with offering a nurturing leadership mentality, the only way to progress as to strip the mistakes of that cord as opposed to offering other forms of discipline that he considered a slap on the wrist.

Much to his pride though, everyone was identical in every fashion. Well, every way that wasn’t wasn’t racist, sexist, or impossible that is.

“Listen up Knights!” He addressed them this way due to the fact that all of them were ranked in the stature of knighthood, who had forsaken leadership positions and instead sought after this company. Siris himself was a Legionnaire, but he much preferred leading his Company of the best soldiers on earth, as supposed to doting on a whole Legion of six thousand soldiers. He’d leave that to the smarter members of his brothers in arms. “Each of your platoon guides has dictated what activities you will be conducting today! As always, though it should go without saying, give it your all and keep in mind the bastards that dared attack our homes! We won’t be blindsided again, Yes?!”

A loud ‘HOOAH!’ Erupted from the Company, that always sent chills and adrenaline pumping through the commanders body.

“Outstanding. All platoons will report back here at sundown for night duties to be given out, then you can carry on enjoying your night. Second platoon! I’ll be joining you all on your march today, and by joining I mean leading.” If they could, second platoon would be groaning right now. Whenever the commander attended training, it usually meant a figurative death sentence on their bodies. “Now, with no other remarks of mine. DISMISSED!”

“FOR THE FOUR, COMMANDER!!!”

“WARRIOR SPIRIT!”

“HOOAH!”

With the company released, three of the four platoons dispersed and went their separate way towards their designated training areas. Only second remained, with the Platoon Guide at the front awaiting the commanders orders. Legionnaire Houk then paced himself in front of them, and the two exchanged a salute (the standard closed fist over their hearts) before the PG stepped down and fell into the ranks with his men.

“Platoon! Right FACE!”

Simultaneously, all enacted the facing movement.

“Forward MARCH!”

Once more as one, every soldier in the second platoon stepped off with their left foot. All the while, the commander began calling cadence.

“Your Left......... Left........ Left........ Right, Left........ 1........ 2........ 3........ 4........” Each word was timed on every other left footed pace. Once the commander was certain everyone was in step, what he spoke shifted from the bland cadence to something more song like. Though it’s words still would keep the soldiers in pace with one another and himself.

“Up in the morning, outta the rack!”

In unison, the platoon repeated the cadence as they marched through the city streets.

“Greeted at dawn by an early attack!”

Northbound, the platoon began heading towards the city gates, with the tall mountains looming in the distance.

“The Demons are here, no time for chow!”

The marchers began passing under the tall arch above, the soldiers standing guard greeting the Commander with a head nod.

“But we don’t need it anyhow!”

Siris returned the nod to them, and filed in after the platoon had fully passed under the gate before rolling up right along their left flank once more. The cadence would drag on for a few more verses and a loud chorus until at last, the platoon came upon the mountain path in which they had designated as their training route for the day.

“Part time, MARCH!”

The platoon slowed their paces until they were marching in place. The commander eyed the lot carefully until all had ceased forward motion.

“Platoon, HALT!”

All motion stopped, and the platoon stood firm at the position of attention.

“Pathfinder formation, MOVE!”

The two outermost ranks spread apart, and the the inner ranks filed in until two even columns were formed for the soldiers to march along the path. Siris then moved forward to the front of the formation, standing in the center between the two ranks holding fast at the side of the roads.

“PG, on my left.” The Platoon Guide fell out of formation once more before joining the commander. “Forward, March.”

It was a 20 kilometer path total, with half the voyage being the initial upward battle into the mountains. Though, the journey back downhill wouldn’t be any easier. With weak thighs and aching backs, there’d be no relief for them, save for the singular break they’d take at the peak of the first summit amongst the mountain range. Even then it wouldn’t be very long, five minutes at the most. It was rough, but it was the life they lived and loved.

About two hours would go by in an agonizing pace set by the commander himself, with the platoon finally clearing the uphill ascent of the path and arriving at a toll with a plentiful grove of trees growing atop it. It was silent and serene, which almost made the journey worth it to them despite the rough voyage. But, this calm atmosphere and quiet surroundings were broken up by a voice. A singular one, which after listening in to their incomprehensible words from the distance, the platoon figured them to be alone.

“Is that..... singing? Or have my ears finally begun to fail me?” Grunted the commander as he surveyed the landscape, trying to find where their unexpected company was positioned at. Every time he seemed to lock on to the noise, it’d slip away and seem to start coming from a different direction. It was eerie, but Siris figured that he’d simply endured the roars of one Cambion too many in close quarters which now led to his deceived ears. But he wasn’t the only one hearing this anomaly. All the rest of his men were looking about in the same directions he was, equally confused, and equally disturbed.

As the voice continued bouncing around amongst the different horizons present, it began to draw closer, and closer, and closer still. It got to the point where the voice was coming from differs in places in the immediate area. Some of the rookies, in their spooked state, took it upon themselves to draw their weapons and prepare for the worst. Meanwhile the seniors of the group remained more calm, but still kept their heads on a swivel.

“Come sit up close, at the feet of our King!
‘I am as I was, as I will be!’
Look at the smoke, can they us all screaming?
Gods above are beneath me!”

The voice was finally right above them, high high up in the trees, masking the source in the dense green foliage.

“Who goes there?!” Called Siris, “Show yourself! You shouldn’t be here alone! It’s dangerous!”

Laughter erupted from above, hysterical laughter. The kind that didn’t amuse others, but rather chilled their souls. A strange thumping soon followed, with movement finally being detected. They were wearing a black coat the fluttered about, as the figure continued jumping from branch to branch in a descending movement until the figure sat amongst the lowest of branches that could hold their weight. Their appearance was, unsettling to say the least. A head of greasy, long, and untamed black hear sat atop a head excessively plastered with... clown paint? Indeed it was a crude sort of makeup, that painted black diamonds across his eyes, and crude black lips across his mouth. This man looked to be no jester, and he certainly was no normal man. Was he even human? Given how tall he appeared to be, Siris made a safe assumption that it was just another deranged elf that had wandered into the lands of Örn. But that still didn’t explain the random movements, or that deranged smile upon their face. Elf’s rarely greeted humans with a non antagonistic look, let alone a smile.

“Danger?! Oh my! Do protect me dear knights!”

Lunging from their perch of a tree branch, the strange man landed in an awkward way that should’ve broken his spine and a few ribs. Yet, the earth was as jelly to him, and he only bounced right back upon his feet. Standing at full stature now, it was apparent just how freakishly tall they were. Seven feet at the least. Their smile still remained, with almost decayed looking yellow teeth shining from his jaws. They looked sharp.

“Ladies, and Gentlemen!
Your heroes have returned again,
Everything is going to be okay!”

The freak was singing again.

“Ladies, and Gentlemen!
Your shepherd and your very best friends,
Bow your heads, and let them in to stay!”

“Oi!” The Platoon Guide was the one to interject this time, “We don’t have time to fool around, identify yourself!”

The.... Clown, paused to give the two a dramatized look of hurt before that bone chilling grin returned across his face.

“Forgive me dear knights, I did not intend to waste your time! I,” They bowed their long and thin frame, rather excessively at that. “I am but a humble traveler wishing to spread his songs with those passing by.”

“What’s your name, freak?”

The clowns teeth ground against one another for a moment in an almost angry fashion, before their facial muscles relaxed from the tension.

“My name....? A name, a name, a name, I’d give SOUL for a name!”

“You don’t have a name?”

“Oh no no no, my friends, I do! Well.... I did, but it’s been so long, I can’t hardly remember it!”

“How long could it possibly have been for you to have forgotten your own name?” Seethed Siris, obviously irritated with this man.

“Oh, I dunno. 500 years or so, but who’s counting right?! All those years mesh together into one blur, and before you know it. You’re dead!”

Some astonished mutters began circulating from the soldiers. Was this guy actually serious? There was no possible way any creature or person could’ve lived that long. Only the ancient trees of this mountain knew such a lifetime.

“And how is it that you have come to live that long, if such things are true?”

The clown smiled even wider, his mouth stretching inhumanly across his face such that every single tooth in his mouth was visible.

“This little beast went out in the world!
Found out he had brothers, was finally heard!
And this little beast was nature's own error!
Grew like a tree, born to spread terror!”
He chimed, “I live even still because I have been shown the light, dear friends. Or rather, the dark.” Their eyes faded to a pitch black. “For I serve the true master of this world. One whom you all know a-.”

“DEMON!!!!” Hollered one of the rookies whose sword had been drawn. Rushing in like a belligerent wild animal, the soldier swung madly at the clown faced freak. His sword strokes were sloppy in his rage, making it all too easy for the thin and flexible target to weave between the blade with hysterical laughter plaguing all else’s ears. The knight began to tire out, still attempting to cut down the stranger with all his might, until he mustered one final swing before sitting still and gasping for air.

“There’s no point in wasting your strength, friend! Let me show you something.” This jester of a demon stooped low to the ground and grabbed hold of the sharp blade that was resting in the dirt. With his own blood dripping from his hand, he raised the blade up with the soldier still hanging on. Then, he began walking forward. To a point that the blade entered his abdomen, and was pushed straight on through and out his back. On and on he pushed, with the soldier holding the blade freezing in terror as the clown drew closer. Finally it came to the point where the two were barely a foot away from one another. They said nothing, and instead raised their cold and pale hand up to the face of the soldier. The moment their skin made contact, the soldier collapsed.

Astonished cries and the ringing of metal filled the air as all the other soldiers present drew their blades, including Siris. The clown rolled his eyes.

“Oh please,” They gripped the handle of the sword before ripping the blade out of their own bowels and casting it aside. “You really think ANY of you can do any harm unto me? Not so, friends. Just as you humans’ struggle against my brethren and our master, trying to kill me is pointless.”

“What did you do to him you bastard?!” Hollered Siris, with his nostrils flaring and eyes shining bright with rage.

“I let him dream! I’m letting him see the truth! And In doing so, when he awakes, he will accept the truth! In acceptance he will thrive, and be blessed with all things his heart desires. But should he begin to reject the truth, then he will destroy himself. As sad as that will be, there’s 232 other candidates here to enjoy this treatment simultaneously!”

“Like hell there is!”

“You won’t get the chance!”

“We’ll send you back to hell like a pincushion!”

The jester shook his head and laughed.

“You don’t have a choice, friends. You’re all going to dream.” In a blinding movement, the strange demon charged the commander and the PG, placing his hand on their face as well. They too collapsed. “And by the grace of the Void, you will be made whole again!!!”

"My my, this is the first time you all have managed to have a discussion that is borderline civil! Progress my friends, exciting progress!" Mused the King in a rather sardonic fashion. They still had a long way to go, but even this little bit of a change was enough to bring a bit of joy to his worried heart. "What a merry band of fools are we," He chuckled, "Well, before you all can devolve into your more carnal state of hostility, I think it's time we get moving. After all, dearest Aurin and Aurelia seem to be getting a little antsy about reaching the temple, no sense in keeping them waiting yes?"

Standing from where he was seated next to Crow, and before the likes of Aurelia, Arvin let off a slight grunt before stretching his sore body out once more. They all looked to be in a somewhat stable condition to travel, besides as he had said before it was just another half an hour. What was that compared to how far they had already traveled today? Well, to Aurelia and Sergio it would feel like another eternity, but his more bodily hardened companions of Aurin and Nemir would be just fine. Crow was subject to question, given the fact that he hadn't complained at all but didn't appear in too good of an attitude with the forced exercise. Though the poor outlook was probably more attributed to King's own stubborness in ignoring the good doctors advice. But the King, as usual, didn't care. Crow would forgive him, eventually. Or he'd make good on his promise and actually tie Arvin down to his bed. Only time will tell.

After everyone would eventually follow his lead, Arvin slid the hood of his cowl back over the unkept black hair, which replicated that of his mothers to quite a perfect extent.

"Hoods up, maintain silence once more." Said Arvin, only to turn about face and begin leading the way through the dense and forgotten forest once more as the Temple of Kasai loomed in the distance seemingly not too far off. Their voyage would soon be at an end, and with any luck, the Goddess of flame would heed Arvin's questions that same night as a means of instilling peace in his heart and calming his fears of the reoccurring nightmare of the destruction of his people. He knew not all of his queries and needs for answers would be fulfilled, but surely making this great of an effort to achieve even one singular answer would be enough to warrant a small bounty of knowledge for himself and his Pantheon to take part in.

It excited him, bringing them all to this sacred place. Many of them, with the potential exception of Nemir and Crow who could've had such an opportunity with his father, had not seen the likes of the Four's statutes built in their honor as a means of worship. Not only this, but the fours individual temples served as a catalyst in bringing about the blessings of their designated God or Goddess, granting whoever they deemed worthy with a small portion of their own godly might. This was why Arvin was oh so familiar with his temple, and why he insisted on returning here. Though his connections with the Quadrinity of this earth were equally important and strong, his bond with Kasai was a hair more special due to the blessing he had received from her. Besides, with the promise of flames consuming his Kingdom, Arvin thought it was fitting that the Goddess of fire would be the one he would seek for answers.

--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--..-----.-...-.--.--.-.-.-.-.----.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-.-..--.-..-.--.

The half hour hike remaining to reach the threshold if the temple passed quite easily for Arvin, with every step invigorating him more and more as the familiar marble white architecture grew larger as the distance grew shorter. Soon enough, the Pantheon did clear the treeline and enter into the spacious clearing that made room for the Goddess of Flame's house of worship. It was a jaw dropping sight, and one that Arvin could stare at for sheer hours.
View attachment 665005
The Temple's not quite as large as it's pictured here but it gives you a good idea of what it looks like.

The King was about to give a formal welcome to his friends of their arrival at the temple, but before he could open his mouth to speak, the large and luxurious door of gold leading inside decorated with carved flame patterns did swing open. A multitude of hooded figures adorned in crimson robes did walk together from within the Temple's foyer, with three columns of four at the rear and a single member of the group individualized by a white and gold trim to his robes leading the front. The twelve apostles of Kasai would be the ones grouped together in the small formation, and the single Disciple of Kasai was the one leading them.

Each temple had their group of thirteen to attend to each of the Holy structures needs, with yet another group of 12 apostles and a singular disciple of the respective God. The only exception to this rule was the Temple of the Four, located in the Northern mountains, that had a total of 80 individual members designated to the much larger place of worship. They were known as the Quorum of the Quad, with each of them having received their own blessing based off of their souls as opposed to their desire of a singular God to serve. Granted, none really worshipped one singular God, as to do so would be a manner of Blasphemy in its own right. Rather they simple chose to serve one, and dedicate their lives to their will. But in the end, all of the four would be worshipped daily by these dedicated men and women of varying races and species.

Now, with that garble of exposition out of the way, Arvin finished recollecting all he could of this truly unique group of people and looked on as the twelve Apostles of Kasai came to a halt and now only the Disciple approached the Pantheon.

"Good afternoon, King Arvin, Prophet of the Four. It pleases myself and my fellow servants of the Goddess of Fire to be greeted by yourself and your Pantheon. We were expecting you."

"Good to see you again, Disciple Benjamin. My heart is always brought at peace in seeing this beautiful place. Your fellow holy men truly do an outstanding job of tending to this place. Truly the will of Kasai is fulfilled daily by you all, and it brings me great peace to know that people of such great faith still exist in this time of doubt."

The two grasped one another by the forearm, then released as the Disciple did turn his attention to the party accompanying the King. He was a rather older man, looking to be in his late 50’s to early 60’s. They had a kind smile with bright blue eyes that bid a warmth in his presence.

"My my, what a strong group of astounding warriors you have with you. Truly your pantheon was well chosen by the Four, as I can see Kasai's same burning desire in them as I do with you. She has chosen well."

"They truly are quite special, but as with any Pantheon of old, we have much work to do before we are ready to meet the Gods needs of us."

"But of course! Which Segways perfectly into your reason for coming here this day. The treacherous journey through the forest is not one to be made without good reason. Kasai bids I ask why you have returned to her domain? What is it you seek, humble Prophet?"

Arvin chuckled, “Answers, I have been plagued with nightmares for many nights now. Each night it is exactly the same, so I need only ask the Goddess of its meaning if there be any at all.”

“Dreams are quite a powerful thing, I’m sure your father told you as much. You’ve done well in coming here if you feel a deeper extent can be learned from them.” The Disciples eyes returned to the group. “I’m a assuming you all shall be staying the night? I’d hardly think the journey back would be a good idea at night. Those demons embrace the darkness, thrive in it. Playing into their habitat has spelled death for many who wandered this forest.”

“Yes, we’ll be needing some rooms. Just for the night though, no longer. We don’t want to be wasting any of your valuable resources and food.”

“Oh please, I’d hardly call hosting our beloved prophet and his champions a waste. Come then! I’ll show you to your rooms and I’ll have my fellow apostles prepare the Inner Sanctum for your desired conversing with Kasai. If you’ll all follow me.”

Arvin nodded his head, and took the first step in following the older man as he turned about and headed back towards the large door they had just emerged from.

Upon entering the great and spacious building, the Pantheon was immediately greeted by grand halls and decor fit for a literal God. That was of course the intent, as this “House of Kasai” was meant to be a place of dwelling for her spirit. The olden apostles of long ago took this to heart for all the Four and built literal houses for them to dwell in. This became simple tradition and practice, but the more intricate and beautiful design was a much better fit for the intent. Not only this, but as is the case in their current situation. The King and all persons permitted can stay within the temples walls and find refuge in it. Not many got to experience such a luxury.

Arvin couldn’t help but chuckle to himself just thinking of how ecstatic Aurelia and Sergio would be, seeing such a marvelous place such as this. The gold, white, and red theming blended perfectly from the furniture to the various artifacts and tapestries hanging from the walls that had been crafted for this very place. The many halls of the massive temple led to an assortment of rooms dedicated to worship for all travelers coming through, and the upper levels was of course reserved for the Apostles and aforementioned guests to house themselves in. But the Inner Sanctum, was the most sacred place of all. The holy residents of the temple conducted assorted rituals and prayer on the regular, and many prophets of old had used this sacred room for supposed ‘direct contact’ with the Goddess. Stronger than prayer, but only those who Kasai saw worthy would be allowed to enter.

But, the Inner Sanctum would unfortunately have to wait until after the pantheon had settled into their rooms after their long voyage.

After a long walk up one of the many spiral staircases to the top floor, the Pantheon was led down another set of halls before arriving at a set of six doors. Three on one side, and the other three on the other. They were sectioned off enough to provide a decent spacing for each individual guest room, with identical white wooden doors to leave said rooms hidden from the eye.

“Thank you for showing us the way Benjamin, I think I can lead my friends from here. We’ll join you in the Inner Sanctum once one of the apostles call for us.”

Benjamin nodded. “Until then, please do make yourselves at home. I’m sure you must be tired. I might suggest a brief nap, then again this is coming from a senile old man.” He chuckled “Rest well champions, I will send for you soon.”

That said, Benjamin was to leave, leaving the pantheon to sit in silence for a moment.

“I would agree that rest would be a fair option. You all deserve it. But I’ll leave the time to yourselves. Try not to make a mess, these people work exceptionally hard to keep this place pristine and perfect for Kasai and I intend to keep their work this way.”
Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain Ramjammer Ramjammer The True Plague The True Plague

"Borderline? I felt this was extremely civil... Or as civil as I can be anyways outside of my job." Crow grinned, scooping his mask back up to affix to his face. He'd be damned if he traveled without it. This was about the closest to a symbol of his position as he could get. Nearly all knew of the beaked mask of the Crow. The one whose name is linked clearly to the rank of Royal Doctor. The one who was to be in charge of watching over these idiots and served as the final barrier between them and death when all else fails.

Also yes, his poor attitude was 100% due to the King being a right bellend in terms of ignoring his advice for the betterment of his health... Even though that is literally what Crow is allegedly paid for. Kungen was much the same, but he also had the sense to know not to push it too far unless he wanted Crow to intervene on a much higher level. Arvin was pushing said bounds as is. The tying down thing was a joke, for now. If Arvin didn't get the proper bed rest once back though, Crow will politely announce the King is taking a brief break due to illness. Tessa and Aurelia will simply have to step up to help manage things for a day or two. As for this forced exercise? Shockingly, despite his age, Crow wasn't really sweating this. It beat the rushed and brutal marches he oft had to take in the midst of day to gather corpses and wounded alike after a skirmish or battle if they won it.

Crow had seen the temples before with Kungen, yes. Crow wasn't really interested in the sspirituality associated with it, but he did admire the work that went into it, and the dedication of the people within. It was a work that most likely wouldn't ever again be seen in this world on that level. The way they captured the essence of an element in the architecture, the colors. It was amazing. Even for one who wasn't religious, it awed and demanded respect of him. Even the nobles would be astounded, of that he was certain. Something he'd have to agree with them on. Not even the King's own palace could compete with the sheer splendour and magnificence of the Temples. Nemir, he was certain, would echo the same, though he guessed her preference was for another temple.

When the apostles came out, and the Disciple soon after, Crow did an action some might consider entirely foreign to him. He gave a respectful bow, one hand behind the back and another over his chest with the fist on his heart. He had a grudging respect for these beings, at least within their temple. Anywhere else, he'd treat them like any other being. Here, however, as a guest for the night as the King most likely intended and the Disciple would insist upon, he deferred to them.

Once allowed inside, he turned out the conversation to better drink in the details of the entrance hall. The ways colors blended, the artifacts. It was precious. Perhaps one day, if he ever does retire from his practice, he might take a trip to simply visit each of the temples and just... Take it all in. Religion wasn't for him, but he could definitely appreciate good work when he sees it.

He'd tune back into the convo once they reached the hall of six doors, noting grimly they were going to enter the Inner Sanctum. Great. He couldn't deny it, it'd be an experience for a life time... But damn did he not want to. However, he'd not insult his king nor the Disciple. He could grit his teeth and bare with whatever they'd do in there.
"I know I said it before Arvin, but it is rich of you to insist we rest given the circumstances of us being here." Crow wasn't going to let this go until they get back, or until Arvin rested. Idly, he made his way towards a door at random. The Gods will decide if he chose properly. "Never the less, got it. Get rest, don't make a mess. You best do the same. If I get well rested, and you haven't rested, I am sure I can convince the people here to assist me in restraining you in the pursuit of a proper recovery, Prophet King that you are." A cheeky grin behind his mask would form as he opened the door and stepped through. If Arvin had shit to say, he could do behind closed doors this time, instead of yelling in the open.

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat Ramjammer Ramjammer ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

Aurelia smiled generously at Aurin's offer, pleased beyond words. She sat on the log, dress protected by Aurin's cloak. "How chivalrous! Thank you, Ser Elliot, I expected nothing less from a member of your family!"

The rest of the break was then filled with Aurelia talking about court rumours, complaining about her feet and/or state of dress, and whether or not the weather would be fair come the morrow.

~~~

The trek to the temple somehow seemed longer than the entire hike itself. Each time Aurelia looked up at the towering spires it seemed to slow down time, making each step agonizingly slow. When they finally made it to the entrance of the temple Aurelia was ready to collapse. Perhaps she might have, if not for the awe she felt just by looking up at the gilded doors. The entire temple seemed to gleam in the sun, its spirals of fine marble grander than gold. Needless to say, all descriptions she had read of the temple fell vastly short of the real thing.

The arrival of the apostles brought Aurelia's attention away from the heavens and back to the realm of men. As was the custom, she bowed respectfully, lowering her head as a lesser lord might have bowed to her. It was a strange thing to witness, but even Aurelia could be humble in front of the gods. While Arvin and the Disciple talked she remained silent, curiously peering at each of the robed figures. Aurelia was disappointed to find that they were not all bald though was not too surprised. Her brother always was a liar. She wondered if the disciple was also one after he claimed Arvin's pantheon were 'strong warriors'. A light pink crossed her face, her mind going back to the hideous scars on her arm. Meekly, she followed after the others into the temple.

If the outside of the temple was a monument of art, the inside was a wonderland. Whoever had designed the interior architecture clearly had a refined taste in art, something Aurelia respected greatly. She found herself smiling up at the small details, delicate flames of gold foil and little sparks of rubies. More than a few times she gazed in child-like wonder at the tapestries. Many of the glories depicted in the fabric were ones she had read as a child, heroes she had kept in her library. Most of all, she marvelled at the depictions of Kasai, as fierce and beautiful as flames themselves.

Soon enough their tour ended and the group was left to themselves. The silence did not last long.

"Speaking of pristine and perfect, I am seeking out the baths immediately!" Aurelia declared before promptly going to ask the nearest priest about the baths. As soon as she learned of the location she left her bag with Sergio and wasted no time in heading to the ground floor. In truth, she wanted to look around the temple longer but she refused to remain in such a sorry state.

Siren77 Siren77 The True Plague The True Plague seasonedcat seasonedcat Ramjammer Ramjammer ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

It never failed to astound her how bad at internal diplomacy some of her companions were.

Sergio and Aurelia were by right of their bloodlines, better equipped than most others at lying through their teeth, a necessity if one hoped for a career in Politics or at least navigating that day-to-day trials of Court Life. Aurin was too, when she cared to think about it. Though the Knight was seemingly more interested in maintaining an image of a refined sense of control more than anything else. Nemir knew that Aurin could and would play the game of Houses should the need arise. But there was a certain earnestness that took hold of all Swordsmen great and small that rendered such things insignificant. The need to prove oneself was mighty when one devoted their life to the blade. And the means of doing so without some level of hard work were woefully few.

She supposed that it stood to reason why Aurin's verbal spars with Crow bordered on outright confrontation. What was a man's tongue if not a blade? And what were the words he spoke but its cutting edge? Warrior that he was, albeit not quite to her usual standard, Aurin would fight when the need arose. And it often did in the presence of their odd Doctor. There was an honesty to be found in bloodshed. An awful sort, she'd discovered over the years. But it was honesty all the same. The truths people found on the Battlefield followed them home after all.

Nemir well understood why Aurin couldn't lie to Crow in that snide way that all Nobility did. But that only made it even more baffling to her that Aurelia and Sergio didn't either.

The pair made their living from deceit. Lies, half-truths, and misleads were all part and parcel of the game. People were Pawns, and those with the most to lose; their Masters. Nemir had watched the two of them lie before. They were both good at it. Far too good for her comfort, but the Judicator had no place to question what the God's ordained.

She only wished that the two of them would put their talents to use by NOT inciting Crow all the time. He was certainly clever enough to see through them. The Royal Doctor may have been mad, but he was no fool. But the effort might have been appreciated. If not by him, then certainly by her. Was it really too much to ask for a pair of Nobles to hide their dislike of a man all to spare her a headache? Apparently so.

The one mercy that Nemir could find was that their conversation was less volatile than usual. The Judicator worried frequently that she'd one day be forced to put one of her companions in irons. Mostly Crow because he had no concept of subtlety or boundaries and had no desire to educate himself on either. If anything, there was a faint sense of camaraderie about it all. The sort of ribbing you'd expects from friends of many years. It was a revelation that surprised the Judicator, but it was ultimately one that she kept to herself. No need to ruin the mood.

Arvin seemed to grow weary of the chatter sooner than she did. Or perhaps he was excited to be so close to their destination. He had that familiar gleam in his eyes and Nemir hoped that the young king would be able to find what he was looking for at the end of their journey.

Though it was still some great ways off, Nemir could still spot the Temple long before they arrived. now and then she'd catch sight of marble spires peeking at her through the trees. Nemir had never visited the Temple of Kasai before, having no need as she owed her strength to Terran's blessings. An uncommon nervousness overtook her all the same. To be in the house of the Gods was an honor few enjoyed. Those hallowed halls were touched by the four themselves, and it struck The Judicator as bordering on sacrilege for her to even look upon them, much less set foot inside.

Her trepidation only grew as they broke through the treeline. From a distance the temple had been impressive. But to stand at its doors was nothing short of humbling. Their welcome, however warm, did little to soothe her nerves, but to deny the hospitality of the Acolytes that dwelt within the Temple was outright blasphemy. As much as she didn't feel she deserved to step foot into the Temple, denying the invitation of their hosts was akin to saying that her accommodations were not up to her standards. An offense the Judicator would have executed anyone else for.

The halls were indeed as resplendent as she'd imagined, and still so much more. Her armored boots rang loudly on the polished marble floor as she trailed behind the rest of the Pantheon. Ghan had a little difficulty, slipping on the flame, patterned tile where his clawed feet could not find purchase. Nemir kept a steadying hand on his neck as they were led through halls adorned with countless tapestries and stained glass reliefs. The Acolytes committed Orn's history and the trials of the Gods to paper, but mere ink on parchment paled in comparison to seeing the world's making laid out before her two eyes. There was within her an undeniable curiosity that was hard to ignore. Surely, there were in these halls, tomes chronicling the ages of the Kingdom? It was a concept that even quelled Nemir's nervousness. There were undoubtedly books that she'd be forbidden from even seeing the outside of. But there had to be a few they'd allow her to browse. Perhaps, if she found the time she would ask.

Despite its sprawling size, their Host was not long in showing them their quarters. His years presumably spent in the Temple allowed him the privilege of navigating it easily. Nemir knew that she'd be badgering others to help her find her way around for the duration of her stay, however. As it stood, she couldn't quite recall the way back to the entrance.

Aurelia was much quicker to seek assistance than she was, though her focus was very much single minded. It suddenly struck Nemir just how long they'd been trekking through the forest and that before she did anything else, it would be best to clean herself up. She was in the Temple of Kasai! Presenting herself to the Goddess covered in grime would earn the Judicator no favors.

Quickly bidding Ghan to stay put hoping she wouldn't be gone too long, Nemir barreled down the halls after Aurelia not wanting to lose sight of the other woman.

Kind words, my lady. You flatter me.” Aurin replied to Aurelia coyly with a sideways grin. He spent some time looking over different parts of the spear across his lap, inspecting it while the chit chat continued and he listened to King Arvin. Aurin laughed along at his comments, adding in a quip after Crow’s response. “Perhaps we should hike all day more often. Seems to be good for discourse.

Soon enough, though, the break was over, and all were on the move once again. Cloaks on, hoods up, and mouths closed as it was. The last stretch seemed like nothing. It was almost as if the energy from Kasai’s temple was spreading through the ground, adding heat to every step. Aurin’s excitement was starting to get the better of him. He found himself unable to keep up the slower pace he had before. A temple of the Goddess of Fire. Her most holy place. He couldn’t wait to see this wonder.

As they neared enough to see through the trees, the building revealed itself to him little by little. First the golden spiraling towers that reached to the heavens like dancing flames, glowing in the sun. Then the immaculate architecture of the building itself. This, followed by the details carved by the hands of ancient worshipers and kept pristine to this day by those who resided in her temple. This entire place was one of reverence and respect in every detail. Simply stepping onto the grounds made Aurin feel small, and left his chest stirring. This opportunity was such a sacred one. To be so close to one of the Four. It felt odd to be so genuinely humbled.

Aurin watched as the golden doors parted for their Prophet King, and the disciples poured out. The Knight bowed deeply, and held there for longer than he usually would, finding deep respect for the life of service the disciples led. He tried to listen to the welcome but everything started becoming a whir. His attention couldn’t stick to any one thing for long, not when there was so much to take in.

As they entered he was in disbelief. When he had left his home estate for that of his high lord as a teen, he was in awe with the fineries of such a rich man. When he arrived at the castle, he was surprised with the luxury of those halls and ballrooms, it being a splendor unlike anything he'd known in his lifetime. This temple, however, left him in a trance. Nothing could be too exquisite for the taste of a Goddess, and her house devoted itself to that idea completely. This was hardly a place worthy of mortals.

He finally snapped to as they arrived at the hallway lined with the rooms they’d been offered. What caught him was the mention that they’d all be going into the inner sanctum after their brief rest. A god-fearing dread filled him, and suddenly he had every insecurity. Yes, he was a highly religious man, and he was confident in his faith of the Quadrinity. He prayed and kept an alter on his windowsill, burning offerings every evening. His faith gave him what he considered good standing with the Four. Despite all of that, the idea of having real contact… Well, how does one prepare themselves for that?

Aurin was beyond grateful for the accommodations, but as gracious as the invitation was, a short nap was likely not going to befall him. Not with these nerves. Sleep would be time wasted anyhow in a place like this. Especially in this state of dishevelment. He was pretty sure he had at least one actual twig caught in his hair from that trek through the woods. He’d have to follow suit and get cleaned up immediately. Otherwise he would be making a mess of this divine house. He was not eager to disrespect Kasai, or her disciples, in such a way.

The Knight entered one of the rooms, assuming it didn’t matter who took which one. He shed his cloak, and some of the light armor he’d been wearing, and most of his personal items so they would be in safe waiting for him before also seeking out a quick wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back