Viewpoint Is it weird to have an OC but not roleplay them?

Mel_Mel_Stan

𖦹.•´༄𝙴𝚜𝚖𝚒𝚎༄`•.𖦹
So, until recently, I roleplayed a lot on this app called Amino. For my profile, I set it to my OC, but I don't roleplay my OC.

Is that weird? I have an OC, but they kinda just exist, they aren't really used for anything but certain social media profiles. I've considered roleplaying them, but just never did, never had the muse.

Huh, I
feel really fuckin' strange saying that cause OCs are usually made for roleplaying.

What do you think?

You have a collection of OCs, some which have never been played some of which I did but never do anymore, just kind of stored away for a safekeeping of sorts. I do intend to roleplay them at some point.... But it's about as sure an intention as a New Year's Resolution. The main reason to safekeep them for me is just because of my approach, I give my all to the posts, characters, settings and so on that I make, because I want them to have value on their own, beyond the roleplay, so that I can look back on them proudly without feeling they were a waste of time to make. Because of this I feel its worth preserving them for their own sake even.

Setting that aside though, it's perfectly fine to make stuff just for the fun of it, even if it 'normally' would be for roleplays. For some that may be OCs, for others that may be worlds/settings (*cough cough* myself *cough cough*) and for others yet it may be other stuff. It's no weirder than someone making a drawing just because they like drawing.

You have a collection of OCs, some which have never been played some of which I did but never do anymore, just kind of stored away for a safekeeping of sorts. I do intend to roleplay them at some point.... But it's about as sure an intention as a New Year's Resolution. The main reason to safekeep them for me is just because of my approach, I give my all to the posts, characters, settings and so on that I make, because I want them to have value on their own, beyond the roleplay, so that I can look back on them proudly without feeling they were a waste of time to make. Because of this I feel its worth preserving them for their own sake even.

Setting that aside though, it's perfectly fine to make stuff just for the fun of it, even if it 'normally' would be for roleplays. For some that may be OCs, for others that may be worlds/settings (*cough cough* myself *cough cough*) and for others yet it may be other stuff. It's no weirder than someone making a drawing just because they like drawing.
True!! I like the analogy with the drawing for that actually, it's also like how it's no weirder than someone making a cosplay just cause they wanna cosplay.

So I actually have a LOT of OCs I never use - mainly for the fact that they're self-insert Mary-Sue garbage characters 😂

Explanation time.

For most TV shows I watch, it's a tradition of mine to dream up some character that fits within the context of the setting and imagine them in all sorts of situations. Sometimes I'll plot out arcs, plan out scenes, make up scripts... The characters are close enough to me that I can put myself in their shoes relatively easily and I can spend some time in daydream land on my favourite show.

I never, ever, ever RP with these. These characters are not my best works and no one deserves to be subjected to them lmao. They are utterly selfish and for my own gain.

It is COMPLETELY fine to have a character just for the fun of having a character, even if you never RP them, write them into a story, or keep records of them. You do you, my dude.

So I actually have a LOT of OCs I never use - mainly for the fact that they're self-insert Mary-Sue garbage characters 😂

Explanation time.

For most TV shows I watch, it's a tradition of mine to dream up some character that fits within the context of the setting and imagine them in all sorts of situations. Sometimes I'll plot out arcs, plan out scenes, make up scripts... The characters are close enough to me that I can put myself in their shoes relatively easily and I can spend some time in daydream land on my favourite show.

I never, ever, ever RP with these. These characters are not my best works and no one deserves to be subjected to them lmao. They are utterly selfish and for my own gain.

It is COMPLETELY fine to have a character just for the fun of having a character, even if you never RP them, write them into a story, or keep records of them. You do you, my dude.
Omg I had an OC like that at one point too! Like, I wrote him out, even took like a week to animate him into a scene of the show (Panty & Stocking to be specific because god I love that anime XD), and then just used him to fantasize myself in that world.

I have created many characters and not all of them are RPed. However, that could be due in part to the fact that some of them are quite niche and would only really fit into specific settings. Of course a lot of what I like to RP is not always the easiest to find partners for.

I have created many characters and not all of them are RPed. However, that could be due in part to the fact that some of them are quite niche and would only really fit into specific settings. Of course a lot of what I like to RP is not always the easiest to find partners for.
Ohhh I see! Also omg your pfp/avatar is really cool -

I've have various OC that I've used over the years. Most were just for one storyline and not developed further. I only have a few that I've used in multiple storylines. My first OC was pretty much a Gary Stu. He was a teenage king who was also a sorcerer with all these powers. I've finally settled on a rename to make him less obvious that this is supposed to be me with boundless powers.

I've limited myself to about three out of maybe a dozen protagonists that I've used for the past 20 years.

Do you have a backstory imagined for the OC? More to it than just the image? If so, sounds like it's already satisfying some of the fun immersive elements of roleplay... Just a real loner version where it doesn't get to play with others, lol

Do you have a backstory imagined for the OC? More to it than just the image? If so, sounds like it's already satisfying some of the fun immersive elements of roleplay... Just a real loner version where it doesn't get to play with others, lol
Lol true actually hold up XDXD

But yeah, they have a backstory and all of that, I just never use them in stories and all of that.

Huh, I feel really fuckin' strange saying that cause OCs are usually made for roleplaying.

What do you think?
I mainly create OCs to draw them, like you with yours, I suppose. Roleplaying has usually been a secondary concern when I’m creating somebody. But, it’s up to you what you choose to do with them, roleplay or not.

I mainly create OCs to draw them, like you with yours, I suppose. Roleplaying has usually been a secondary concern when I’m creating somebody. But, it’s up to you what you choose to do with them, roleplay or not.
I like to draw out my OCs as well! I kinda just draw someone that my mind makes up. I also usually use OCs for profiles on social media cause idk it's fun? XD

I like to draw out my OCs as well! I kinda just draw someone that my mind makes up. I also usually use OCs for profiles on social media cause idk it's fun? XD
Cool! I do that as well. Yeah that makes sense, I’d do that if I could be bothered to sign up for any social media lol

Explanation time.

OMG, I've done this too. XD I have the same exact tradition. XD But mainly for any universe I throw myself into hardcore, mainly with video games and anime (since it's easier, especially if they have a fantasy element). All of those first OCs for that specific universe to "break the ice" are specifically made as comfort, wish-fulfillment, Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters, and that's it. xD I would have to completely revamp them if I want to use them in any RP. xD I have like.... at least over 100+ variations of the same core makeup of a character with the same set of names I use. xD

Lots of my first OCs were like "I'm part of every species", "I have all the powers of the canon characters, including unique ones, plus my own unique ones, so all the canon characters I still have my character interact with are then moot and heaven forbid my character does anything to the storyline", "any characters I have a crush on will not have their canonical dates because that won't fit with my comforting narrative" (this one I'm okay with in a fandom RP anyway, but the chemistry has to work and I'm not forcing it because that's abusive), "all my characters are the heroes/heroines because I like giving them a butt-ton of weaknesses and trauma and uncontrollable rage/wrath and then giving them a very violent outlet that helps save people's lives or getting themselves out of sticky situations regardless of how screwed they are like if they are captured/tortured/what-have-you", and "personality is based off mine, but slightly more chaotic because I don't have many irl friends I can be crazy with and when I want to be, my craziness is more walking funny and making my friends laugh with my stupid antics". XD

....... good lord that all sounds horrible XD but you know what, they're a part of me, I just make them more polished when I show the. XD But they never see the light of day. Unless someone asks, then I can whip up a character sheet XD all their backstories are edgy, traumatic, and have something to do with canon character involvement. Because I can. XD

It's so fun to let loose. xD

Characters are like sponges. Before you use them, they're perfect. While using them, they slowly fade away. After a while, they need replacing.

I don't think that it's odd to have an OC but not to RP them. I have characters created that I haven't used yet because I haven't found the right RP for them just yet. Other characters are what I refer to as "retired" characters. They're old, mostly used up, and cannot grow much more than they already have. Sometimes, though, I just create new characters with no intention of using them at all-- usually, though, I do end up using them (or a variation of them) for other projects.

Nope. Sometimes, I have ideas for characters, but don’t really have a plot or place for them. I usually just write them out and if I ever encounter a use for them, they’re there. Ta-da! Problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back