Viewpoint Is it ok for a male to Role as a female

MAROON QUILLNEST

One Thousand Club
Roleplay Type(s)
I was just wondering your guys opinion on whether its ok if me a male to be playing a female character.

Last edited:
I think nothing is wrong with that. I am a male irl and i have tried to play a female role sometimes. But for me personally, it's a bit awkward since I don't really know how to properly behave as female and it ended up as a mess. But I enjoyed it too. Having a new experience like that once in a while is not bad.

Of course it’s okay. It’s called role play. ROLE. You can play whatever roles you feel comfortable exploring. Don’t let anyone gatekeep you into one position.

Perfectly fine. Equally so as it is for the vise versa.

Any gatekeeper style cryptkeeper character that might tell you otherwise might actually be a troll, or it could be by a contextual basis. Though personally, I take that as seriously as the thing with gaming where a guy is considered gay if he plays male, despite originally they were considered gay if they played female. So essentially not at all. It's roleplaying after all, you could play a slimy blob if you wanted to, and it'd be as 100% as anything else.

It is okay, with a caveat. Don't be creepy about it. There were so, so many times I noped out of a roleplay because dudes insisted on describing their character's breasts incessantly. Basically, treat them like human beings with an actual personality and it will be fine.

Yes, it definitely is. I was on Minecraft the other day and this dumb dude yelled at me because I apparently made a ten year old little boy play anna in a frozen rp (don’t judge) we were doing. He CHOSE to be Anna, I didn’t tell him to. It might have had something to do with the fact that it was a Christian Minecraft server..? But people should do what they want regardless of what some stupid guy says.

Yes, it definitely is. I was on Minecraft the other day and this dumb dude yelled at me because I apparently made a ten year old little boy play anna in a frozen rp (don’t judge) we were doing. He CHOSE to be Anna, I didn’t tell him to. It might have had something to do with the fact that it was a Christian Minecraft server..? But people should do what they want regardless of what some stupid guy says.
That's actually really hilarious lol

You can play whatever ya wanna play, so long as that is within the bounds of what your partner(s) and you have agreed is acceptable.

Lol, why wouldn't it be? It's roleplaying, that's your choice. Play it often and ask your female friends or in the forum questions you have and you'll get good at it. Male authors write about female characters and that's perfectly fine. I see nothing wrong.

yeah, as someone already pointed out, it's ROLE playing so playing a female role is as good as playing any other. You're playing it, not becoming a female for real.
Lots of girls play guys and no one thinks it's wrong so the opposite is fine too.

It is perfectly fine. I role play opposite genders as well. As a female, I do have characters that are males and pretty wacky and crazy, like me. As long as you know what the female does, as hobby wise, it should be alright ^^

I would say yes. Girls roleplay as guys sometimes so... I don't see any issue. As long as you're having fun!

I think it's more than OK. I like to think of myself as a writer. I'm not an author, or a professional or anything, but I'm still a writer. I feel like for someone to not be 100% totally accepted for writing not only either gender, but even the in-between transgenders, or any sexual orientation would just be silly. Imagine if you read a book like that, where all the characters had to be the same gender as the author.

When you're role playing, don't be afraid to let your creativity show. Me personally, as a lady, often write as a male. Actually, I think I have more male characters in active role plays right now than female. So don't worry about it, and if, for some god forsaken reason someone actually judges you for that, well, I can't imagine a situation in which any decent person judges you for writing a character the opposite gender of you. So go ahead and drop communications with them because they aren't worth your time anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back