Experiences Is getting to RP on this site always this difficult?

AncientBird

Reptile with wings and plumes.
Sorry, if this seems like rant. I have joined this site for a few weeks now and tried to submit into several RP threads (all recently made). Most of them turned out dead before they ever get to start, just wasted away and buried by other RP and never be brought up again The latest one is still alive and people are playing in it, but the creator hasn’t accept my cs yet and just disappeared... So I am just sitting here, waiting while watching other players get to have all the fun.

This is just my luck or is it a normal sight on this site? Share you thought!

I found it to actually be kind of normal on this site. It's part of the reason I made my own. I spent like a month trying to join rps that never left interest checks.

Yep. I've been on this site since august and yet to have an rp last longer than one post round. Which is why I'm now trying out 1x1.

If you’re struggling with finding a RP that lasts longer than a few posts I suggest spending some more time in OOC chat with your partner(s), planning ahead and brainstorming together. Diving head first into roleplay with a barely developed idea is the recipe for failure most of the time.

I also suggest giving 1x1s a try. Group roleplays tend to be short lived due to the different time zones and daily schedules of the players, different views, opinions, and overwhelming amounts of info (posts, characters, etc.) which is hard to keep up with. This is particularly true when it comes to new roleplayers.

I joined this past July and the 1x1 RP's I started when I first joined are all still active today.
It really, really, comes down to being very selective with partners as well as a bit of luck.

Group RP's are very dicey so I personally only consider ones that have very robust recruitment processes. They tend to be the ones most likely to get off the ground because more pickiness with players = a better ultimate pool of players with characters/mentalities that suit the RP. Plus, if the GM is putting in extra work then they're going to be more motivated to see it through as opposed to someone who puts in minimal effort.

Of course, this has just been my personal experience. I really recommend starting in the 1x1 section and learning to sniff out the dedicated/high quality partners. Trading writing samples is a good idea--especially if you can find some way to see a current roleplay they're in to get a feel for how they write "live" as opposed to in a polished sample. There are lots of little tricks to it but if you get a knack for it then it's fairly easy to find partners that will suit you and vice versa.

Something no one else has mentioned is that this is the holiday season for a lot of people. Not to mention people could be finishing up their school semester/planning for the upcoming semester.

So it could honestly be that a lot of people are away from the computer.

That said 1x1s are a good starting point if your new as it gives you the option to tailor your schedule to when your available. Plus having one partner means they can give you more one x one tips on how roleplay/this site works .

Just gotta be patient. I treat looking for rp's like speed dating. Just sink your teeth into as much as you can handle, until one sticks. Lol

Last edited:
It's a crap shoot brotha, bunch of coin flips. I've had maybe 5 really solid group RPs on this site out of 100+. I'm in a good one now that has a great player base if you're interested lol. That aside I'm starting to think applying to robust ongoing RPs is the best play. Like, just go to the roleplay forum section and message GMs asking to join. At least then you know you're joining something with longevity behind it.

Interest checks don't tell shit on longevity. I've joined beautifully crafted, amazing super duper RPs that have high level GMs and they die within a page. I've had ignorant looking low brow Fandom RPs last 10+. Who knows man, group RPs is like putting random chemicals in a jar and shaking it around hoping for a good reaction. Sometimes the reaction blows up, sometimes it does nothing, every once and a while you get something good but it's honest to god random. So yeah, maybe look in the roleplay section for ongoing RPs that are active? That's the only thing I can think of that's not a luck punt.

Last edited:
I've been here since 2008 and all I can really say is:

1. Activity is cyclical. I think the most active seasons are Spring and Autumn - I've had the most luck getting players around then. This may also be confirmation bias, but I feel like the site spikes in activity every two years or so and that seems to hold for at least a further year.

2. Keep active in threads like this and find a group. My most successful RPs all drew from a pool of maybe 20-30s users I'd gotten to know, and some acquaintances. They'd tag each other in, or I'd know which five people to invite first. I think my most consistent players were a subgroup of maybe six I could pretty well rely on not to flake out on me. Just find some obsessive loer like me who keeps their RPs alive through sheer bloody-mindededness and you're off to a decent start.

For real though I think Jet hit the nail on the head. Apply to an ongoing, or gamble.

I find that success rates in finding RP's on this site vary depending on interests. For those into modern realistic slice of life or canonXcanon fandom RP's I'd imagine they have an easier time than someone like me who is usually looking for pretty niche historical RP's.

I find that success rates in finding RP's on this site vary depending on interests. For those into modern realistic slice of life or canonXcanon fandom RP's I'd imagine they have an easier time than someone like me who is usually looking for pretty niche historical RP's.

I would say canon x oc. Canon x canon is actually very rare as few people actually want to play canons. They just want to have a canon love interest.

I would say canon x oc. Canon x canon is actually very rare as few people actually want to play canons. They just want to have a canon love interest.

I only do OCxOC in fandom RP's. Those are certainly rarer than both.

I only do OCxOC in fandom RP's. Those are certainly rarer than both.

Really? I do the same and I tend to find them more often than CanonxCanon. But I do Harry Potter where the canon is usually cheerfully ignored by the fandom.

I think there are generally two ways of going about it:

Keep applying to any RPs that catch your sight. A lot of people do this, basically applying in bulk and hoping one sticks. It's the standard, from what I can tell. You'll get a high turnover rate, but eventually one will stick and it'll probably be great.

The other option is what I do: Be very very picky about who you RP with. Oftentimes I'll try and RP with people I already know from around the site. Folks I know I already have a good chemistry with, and folks who are less likely to ghost me since there's already a good amount of friendship/trust there. This is obviously way slower since you can't really do it in bulk - friendships take time - but it does have a far superior chance of not flopping on the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back