• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Amara rises from her kneeling position and bows to both of the Celestial Lions. "Thank you, noble Lion. We shall honor our word to you and will not deviate from our promises. A question, though. Do you know where the resting place of the Lunar Exalt known as Mor'du is, and would you give us guidance so we can find it without stepping off the proper path? l would hate to break our word through ignorance."

The Lion slowly nods, and starts to silently walk off down the path. "Come. I will show you to Mor'du's tomb. It remains to be seen if you manage to gain entry."

There is no uniformity to the buildings in the necropolis. Some are massive and grand, while others are more humble and restrained in their grandeur. The Lion ignores all distractions as it leads you, even refusing to answer all but the most basic questions. As it guides you along, you can hear a high pitched buzz coming from up ahead, and it grows louder as you walk. Soon enough the source of the buzz is clear: a large metal dome that is resting on the ground, rising up to a height of nearly three hundred feet. The buzz is from the whirling cloud of swords, axes, and knives of all sizes and designs that are spinning around the dome at high speed, moving at such a speed that they are nearly a blur when you try to look at one of them.

Old bones can be seen lying in heaps inside the perimeter off the clearing that the blades spin in, obviously cut down by the whirling weapons. Slightly father in is a broken Warstrider, showing that even one of the grand war machines of the First Age was not able to survive the repeated strikes of the weapons that spin about.

The clearing that the blades fill stretches two hundred feet out from the edge of the dome, making for a very deadly approach to the archway and grand double doors that toy can all clearly see in the dome. Located in the center of the two doors is a small hole that is barely visible that measures a few inches across. It appears to be just the right size for the Key that Dunbar gave you. The problem is going to be just how you plan on getting the Key to the lock through the mass of flying steel in one piece.

The Lion sits down and seems to smile at you as you look at the obstacle in your path. It says, "Here, little Exalts, lies the remains of the great Mor'du. Feel free to try and get in whenever you wish. But be warned of the price of failure."

What do you do?

Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude Chowlett Chowlett Purr Purr Eonivar Eonivar Rykon Rykon

The Lion slowly nods, and starts to silently walk off down the path. "Come. I will show you to Mor'du's tomb. It remains to be seen if you manage to gain entry."
O Mighty Fat Cat bows serenely as the Lion performs his request. He quietly sighs in relief, for the faithful Lunar has no desire to disturb the rest of the dead. Mor'du's included.

The Lion sits down and seems to smile at you as you look at the obstacle in your path. It says, "Here, little Exalts, lies the remains of the great Mor'du. Feel free to try and get in whenever you wish. But be warned of the price of failure."
Seeing all this, O Mighty Fat Cat appears openly worried. How in Creation were they supposed to get the key into the lock? One long glance at the remains of the Warstrider told him brute force was certainly not the way.

Glade looks impassively at the whirling blades, sizing up the problem. With a slight turn of his head towards the Celestial Lion, he asks rhetorically: "I presume you will not tell us how to pass this barrier?" Then, turning fully to Lion, he bows and asks: "Am I permitted to walk in this vicinity? I should like to see the tomb from all sides, but I would not wish to go where I am not permitted. I too have experienced trespassers in my time."

If the Lion indicates that fine...

Glade will walk around the structure, carefully outside the cloud of blades, looking for anything that might suggest a way through or a magical means of turning the wall off or bypassing it. I'll spend a WP for an automatic success - that's still a thing, right? - but I'll need to know what to roll, and also if it's low light (for Awareness) or a first age construction (for Lore).

Glade looks impassively at the whirling blades, sizing up the problem. With a slight turn of his head towards the Celestial Lion, he asks rhetorically: "I presume you will not tell us how to pass this barrier?" Then, turning fully to Lion, he bows and asks: "Am I permitted to walk in this vicinity? I should like to see the tomb from all sides, but I would not wish to go where I am not permitted. I too have experienced trespassers in my time."

If the Lion indicates that fine...

Glade will walk around the structure, carefully outside the cloud of blades, looking for anything that might suggest a way through or a magical means of turning the wall off or bypassing it. I'll spend a WP for an automatic success - that's still a thing, right? - but I'll need to know what to roll, and also if it's low light (for Awareness) or a first age construction (for Lore).
The Lion nods at Glade's request to explore around the exterior of the structure. As you look around, you can see that this is indeed a First Age construct and other than the one door that you saw from the front of the dome, it is a featureless building with no other visible openings or windows.

(There is no need to roll or spend the Willpower. From your examination at this range, there is no other way in besides the front door.)

"Well, this is certainly going to be a pickle," Grey Stone muttered, looking at the remains and whirling blades surrounding the dome that harboured their prize. "So. Does anyone have any ideas?"

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 32/40
Anima: Dim
Committed Essence: 5

Willpower: 7/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Effects:
Spirit-Detecting Glance (The Solar can look through the pall of reality to glimpse the realm of spirits beneath. With this Charm, the Solar can see (but not touch) immaterial spirits.)

jaydude jaydude Psychie Psychie O Mighty Fat Cat looks to the lock. Is there any kind cover - of any size - there?

As he peers, the jungle Lunar replies to the humble Grey Stone. "Only one - de Lunar's solution. Were I alone wit' de key, what choice would I have but to use Luna's Blessings to transform into de beast - of which she has provided me many forms." He muses. "My Circle. Don't it appear dat magic is moving de weapons, but..." Da Chonk looks between the flying blades, "... dere does not seem to be wind... hurrying dem along?"

O Mighty Fat Cat hand rises and strokes his chin. "De Warstrider - in all of its power and fortitude - failed. De weapons move so quickly - one is likely to feel de bite before one sees it. So... dodging too is out of de question. So dat leaves... size... speed... and luck!"

"Hmm," he focuses and begins thinking aloud. "Cobra an' use de floor? Mmm... Honey badger for speed an' toughness? Don't seem much use to go to de air."

Amara looks at the whirling wall of death and thinks hard. "Dunbar gave us the Key, and said nothing about these blades. Either the Key is going to be able to get someone past the knives, or this is a more recent addition that he didn't know about. I am willing to bet that the Key is going to be a ward against the knives, allowing the person holding it to walk safely to the door. I am also willing to take the risk of testing my theory myself. I wouldn't wish to suggest that somebody else take my place. Now, I'm not saying that in one hundred percent right, so if anyone else has a better idea, let's hear it before I test my hunch."

"Amara," O Mighty Fat Cat's voice sounds as if coming from a well borne from deep within the earth. "You are already missing one arm," he glances. "Do you really wish to chance losing de otha?"

O Mighty Fat Cat watches the blades fly by at speeds he can hardly follow. "Dese blades. Dey have hacked apart an entire Warstrider. If de key does not function as you imagine, can you quickly retreat to safety? If nutting else, might I attach someting to you to pull you back to us if dis plan goes awry?"

Another thought strikes him. Da Chonk looks around for objects large and tough. "Mebbe dere is someting we might use as a barrier between us and a dismembered fate?"

Mercy listens quietly and gazes at the spinning blades and the area in their vicinity. She gazes down at the floor and walls looking for markings and clues, she also uses her mystical sight to see if she could figure out the source of the magic and maybe find a way to disable it.

OOC Let me know if I need to roll something here.

Aredin carries the key with him and walks forward to approach the whirling blades. He will stop short of them to test and see if anything changes from the mere presence of the key. If not, he'd step back and examine the surroundings to see if anything catches his eye.

Mercy listens quietly and gazes at the spinning blades and the area in their vicinity. She gazes down at the floor and walls looking for markings and clues, she also uses her mystical sight to see if she could figure out the source of the magic and maybe find a way to disable it.

OOC Let me know if I need to roll something here.
Mercy's examination of the area doesn't show any markings on the walls or floor that you can make out. The walls are seamless except for the one double door and the small hole in the center of them.
Aredin carries the key with him and walks forward to approach the whirling blades. He will stop short of them to test and see if anything changes from the mere presence of the key. If not, he'd step back and examine the surroundings to see if anything catches his eye.
When Aredin first approaches the no man's land of the blades, they start to angle closer to you, but when they are about to strike, the weapons curve out of the way so close that you can feel the wind from their passage.

Do you keep going in?

When Aredin first approaches the no man's land of the blades, they start to angle closer to you, but when they are about to strike, the weapons curve out of the way so close that you can feel the wind from their passage.

Do you keep going in?
Aredin steps forward, watching the behavior of the blades carefully as he tries to pass through.

Last edited:
As Aredin walks forward, the knives and swords come dangerously close to hitting him, but none ever cut him. It is as if he were in the eye of a hurricane with the metal storm raging around him.

Finally, the Solar makes his way to the doors and gets a closer look at the hole in the center. The Key appears to be a perfect fit to be able to be inserted into the opening. Other than that, you don't see any way to open the doors; no handle or knob to turn.

Do you insert the Key into the opening?
Rykon Rykon

As Aredin walks forward, the knives and swords come dangerously close to hitting him, but none ever cut him. It is as if he were in the eye of a hurricane with the metal storm raging around him.

Finally, the Solar makes his way to the doors and gets a closer look at the hole in the center. The Key appears to be a perfect fit to be able to be inserted into the opening. Other than that, you don't see any way to open the doors; no handle or knob to turn.

Do you insert the Key into the opening?
Rykon Rykon
Aredin will approach the keyhole, insert the key and turn it.

The Key sides in the opening with an audible click and a slight tingle on your fingertips. A wave of force seems to surge out of the dome, and as it passes each of the spinning weapons they slow down from their madcap orbit, making it look possible to cross the intervening space alive - if you are careful, that is.

Along with the slowing of the blades, the double doors slowly open to reveal a dark corridor that leads deeper into the heart of the dome. Dunbar appears to have given you just what you needed to get in.

Standing out off harms way and no longer looking so smug is the Celestial Lion, seemingly in shock that you were able to get to the doors alive. It almost seems disappointed that you were successful.

Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon O Mighty Fat Cat beams heartily at good Aredin. With caution, he crosses the distance between them and claps his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Well done, Prince of Rogues!"

To the Celestial Lion, O Mighty Fat Cat speaks respectfully. "Divine protector. Which way to Mor'du's tomb, if you please?"

Aredin turned about curious if the blades would now let the others pass. He turned back to the lion though, taking a moment to converse before proceeding. "Oh ye of little faith. How unexpected those blessed with the god's favor find a fortuitous circumstance." He joked to the lion. "Anyhow, it's about time we see this mission done, yeah? Just be prepared for foul play when we leave. I don't trust that horde or their leader one bit."

Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon O Mighty Fat Cat beams heartily at good Aredin. With caution, he crosses the distance between them and claps his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Well done, Prince of Rogues!"

To the Celestial Lion, O Mighty Fat Cat speaks respectfully. "Divine protector. Which way to Mor'du's tomb, if you please?"
Aredin turned about curious if the blades would now let the others pass. He turned back to the lion though, taking a moment to converse before proceeding. "Oh ye of little faith. How unexpected those blessed with the god's favor find a fortuitous circumstance." He joked to the lion. "Anyhow, it's about time we see this mission done, yeah? Just be prepared for foul play when we leave. I don't trust that horde or their leader one bit."
The Lion does not try to cross the blade barrier, but he does have good enough hearing to pick up on Fat Cat's question, and it calls out to him, "That is Mor'du's tomb. You will find his mortal remains inside. I cannot guide you any further because I have never entered into the building, but I wish you luck on the rest of your quest."

One by one or in a group, you are able to make your way across the open field to join Aredin at the doorway leading into the tomb. The rest of the Circle are able to now see the dark hallway leading deep into the dome. The hall is wide enough for three of you to walk side by side with a little bit of room, or for two with more space to maneuver in case of threats.

Aredin will burn essence to flare his caste mark both to light the way and signal to all spirits, like ghosts, an Eclipse Solar and his party are present. "If everyone's ready we'll step inside and see if we get a response. Hopefully warmer than the one I got from Cadence, but we'll see. Just remember everyone. Mind your manners and we'll remain safe from any spirits. We entered with the key and announced our presence. So far so good..." He nods with a smile, beckoning the circle to follow.

Aredin will burn essence to flare his caste mark both to light the way and signal to all spirits, like ghosts, an Eclipse Solar and his party are present. "If everyone's ready we'll step inside and see if we get a response. Hopefully warmer than the one I got from Cadence, but we'll see. Just remember everyone. Mind your manners and we'll remain safe from any spirits. We entered with the key and announced our presence. So far so good..." He nods with a smile, beckoning the circle to follow.
"Thank you for your guidance!" O Mighty Fat Cat waves to the celestial feline. He wonders if he should say more, then thinks better of it. Who knew what the future held - especially here in the tomb of a great Lunar like Mor'du?

O Mighty Fat Cat murmurs a native blessing to Luna. In some of the Circle's recent encounters they had been forced to violence, but O Mighty Fat Cat had brought peace where he could - and had sometimes succeeded. So it was that he wished for such peace here most of all - in the tomb of another blessed by the Moon.

Knowing little of the occult, Da Chonk moves reverently, careful to disturb nothing, yet eager to learn of the place they are entering.

Amara works her way across the intervening space to the door where Aredin and Fat Cat are waiting, ducking and dodging about to evade the incoming blades before they can cut into her. She still keeps her blade in its sheath as she carefully steps into the passage and slowly starts down the passage.

Glade passes deftly between the now-slowed blades, and moves up to accompany Aredin at the front of the group. "An ancient Lunar tomb," he remarks. "We should be careful of traps."

Rolling Perception + Awareness (in low light), particularly looking for traps or similar - hidden doors, secret passages etc. I've use a bunch of Essence already, so let's do a straight roll.
Only 3 successes

Mercy carefully moves across the threshold of the whirling blades to the rest of her Circle, not feeling comfortable in the presence of the strange statues.

Walking slowly and looking carefully, the Circle advances about one hundred feet before the hallway opens up to a domed interior that rises up about a hundred feet, with a back wall just barely visible probably a hundred feet away. The walls are all covered by ornate murals depicting the life of the great Lunar Exalt known as Mor'du; with a king's ransom of jewels and thin ribbons of the various Magical Materials making up the mural. Around the room, you can see no other doors, and the only other feature in here is a statute that is about twenty feet tall that is a depiction of one of the many guises of Luna, standing over what is clearly the tomb of Mor'du.

A faint glow can be seen coming from a crystal in the center of the dome at the top, gently growing brighter as you enter, like the light from a bright full moon. The overall feeling you get is that this is as much a temple to the Fickle Goddess as it is a burial place. Not in a creepy way, but in a peaceful one that fills you with calm and serenity. You are welcome in here. You are not sure how you know this, but you all get it.

What do you do now? Who approaches the statue first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back