• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
O Mighty Fat Cat appears concerned but unflinching as he crosses his massive ebony arms and stares at Filial Wisdom - a man who had yet to fit his name.

"Den mebbe you lack de means to gain past this gate yourself? Could it be dat if we can do what you cannot dat you might look de fool in front of dese people-eaters?" O Mighty Fat Cat was not a man of violence - until he had no other choice - then, by Luna, he had the heart and the means to become the moonlit jungle's very own fury.

"You might get us. It's true," sayeth the Lunar. "But at what cost? Mebbe half of your tribe an' a permanent part of you? Dare you chance it? Look about you!" O Mighty Fat Cat opens his hand and looks to these ancient ruins. "If you wish to protect dis precious place, den dere can be no battle - for are we not Exalted? Will our wrath and power not bloody and destroy so much of de cherished houses of de dead? Dis ancient realm upon Creation dat serves to house at least one of de Lunar dead whom I honor?"

O Mighty Fat Cat opens his palms in a sign of respect and to show that he holds no weapons in them. "Filial Wisdom, prove you are wise both in name and deed! Give us a peaceful alternative to bloodshed so dat we might remove de suffering of anotha sacred realm - dat we might spare dis one to de undoubtable sorrow of all those sacred who rest here! Please!"

Aredin was ready to throw the gauntlet at this backwater pretender that deigned to threaten his circle and friends when the Fat Cat spoke. A far more measured reaction than the merchant prince himself was willing to give. Still, this man needed to be humbled and pay the price for his folly. He nodded to Da Chonk then returned his gaze to Filial Wisdom, undeterred. "Prove your wisdom, and I will forgive the threat to my circle. Otherwise, you and I will move from words to swords." The Eclipse replied with deadly promise. "You speak to those who command wealth, mysteries, and power, not some tourist mortal whelps. If you can't think of a reasonable price to demand for our passing then that is your problem."

Amara still hadn't t drawn her blade, but can change that in a moment. "I say again, we are not here for a fight with you, but we will not back down from one if you insist on it. Leave us to our own devices and we will leave you to yours. Do not test us."

The angry Solar eyes the six of you with suspicion before he finally says, "You are after something specific in there? How do you plan on getting in, not just inside the necropolis, but through whatever traps lie inside whatever tomb you seek?"

"Where I am from, it is poor manners to demand de name of others wit'out first giving your own. Who are you and why do you care what roads we travel?"
"Filial Wisdom, I am O Mighty Fat Cat, Blessed of Luna." He bows graciously and respectfully, yet inside he finds himself hoping this new change of tone has perhaps reset things, at least long enough for them to get out of this danger.

The angry Solar eyes the six of you with suspicion before he finally says, "You are after something specific in there? How do you plan on getting in, not just inside the necropolis, but through whatever traps lie inside whatever tomb you seek?"
Da Chonk speaks as peacefully as his soul can manage. "How we get dere is our business, Filial Wisdom. We don' want no harm to nobody, living nor dead. In fact, our quest is out of respect for de dead. Through the goodness of de past, we are here to aid both de living and de dead."

Speaking these words, O Mighty Fat Cat remembers recent ruins very far from here upon which his very wings had carried he and his friends here to the Great Tombs of Rathess. How could Filial Wisdom know that Da Chonk spoke of the beautiful nature elemental Antonia to whom the Lunar had promised and also of the troubled Solar Wizard, Dunbar Kirk, to whom his Solar Circle had promised? These were living and the dead he spoke of, both burdened tremendously with great need only his Circle could lift away.

"We are only here to ask de dead for what we are risking our very lives to acquire. No desecration will be coming from our hands, mighty one, but... whatever barriers lie between us and our goal, we must overcome for goodness sake."

Now O Mighty Fat Cat imagines his goals - an Antonia lighthearted and free of her woes, her woods unblemished, her spirits singing like those he had grown up with in his own second home, his beloved Celestial Wildlands. He also thinks of a freed spirit and a happier Dunbar Kirk whomever he was and whatever that ghost-of-a-wizardly-Solar looked like. Da Chonk imagined a happier home for him too.

O Mighty Fat Cat's voice continues on in only the most respectful of tones as he brings forth questions borne from his heart. "Could we ask you for your wisdom, mighty one? Do you know what lies beyond dis shining gate?"

Glade listens to the discussion going on before him. Diplomacy, he thinks. Not where my talents lie. Turning to Mercy next to him, he murmurs "Our Eclipse brother, and Luna's chosen, are doing a fine job, but still peace and conflict balance on a knife's edge. I suggest you hold yourself ready. I shall become unseen."

Glade's looking to use Aredin and Fat Cat's conversation as a distraction to let him Hide; ideally at Short range of Filial Wisdom. It sounds like there should be enough building and ruin around to do that? Let's put 3m of Excellency into it. 6 successes

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 20/33(/23)

Committed Essence: 10 (5 in Daiklaves, 5 in Belt)

Willpower: 4/5
Join Battle: 10d (Dex + Stealth)
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Resolve 3 , Guile 3

Attacks
Root and Branch (Withering: 15d atk, +12d dmg, 4 ovw; Decisive 10d. Lethal, Melee, Balanced)
Darts (Withering: 10/9/8d atk, +9d dmg, 1 ovw; Decisive 6d. Lethal, Thrown (medium), Concealable, Mounted, Poisonable)

Actions
Rush: 7d
Disengage: 5d

Evasion 3, Parry 5
Soak/Hardness: 5 / 0

Aredin turns to the Fat Cat and then back to the warrior before them with a shrug. "In the simplest terms, we just need something that can break a binding spell. Otherwise, this ghost won't stop haunting a friend." He cast a glance over to the tombs and the wards, "As for how to deal with traps and such... Well, that's a bit of a professional specialty. I'm not too worried about them. Every lock has its key as they say."

Glade listens to the discussion going on before him. Diplomacy, he thinks. Not where my talents lie. Turning to Mercy next to him, he murmurs "Our Eclipse brother, and Luna's chosen, are doing a fine job, but still peace and conflict balance on a knife's edge. I suggest you hold yourself ready. I shall become unseen."

Glade's looking to use Aredin and Fat Cat's conversation as a distraction to let him Hide; ideally at Short range of Filial Wisdom. It sounds like there should be enough building and ruin around to do that? Let's put 3m of Excellency into it. 6 successes

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 20/33(/23)

Committed Essence: 10 (5 in Daiklaves, 5 in Belt)

Willpower: 4/5
Join Battle: 10d (Dex + Stealth)
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Resolve 3 , Guile 3

Attacks
Root and Branch (Withering: 15d atk, +12d dmg, 4 ovw; Decisive 10d. Lethal, Melee, Balanced)
Darts (Withering: 10/9/8d atk, +9d dmg, 1 ovw; Decisive 6d. Lethal, Thrown (medium), Concealable, Mounted, Poisonable)

Actions
Rush: 7d
Disengage: 5d

Evasion 3, Parry 5
Soak/Hardness: 5 / 0
With that roll, Glade is fairly confident that he's managed to vanish amongst the broken down buildings and ruined monuments well enough to slip much closer to this Filial Wisdom fellow without being seen.

As the rest of you stand poised for a possible fight, you are starting to get the impression that this Solar is looking for a way to step back from his confrontation of the six of you but do so in a way to maintain the appearance of coming off as the victor; or at the very least, not the loser of the face off. He has a lot of ego built up in being in charge of this band of savages, and wants to keep them in line without losing face in the process.

Of you can come up some way to make it at least appear that he's won you will probably be able to avoid a direct confrontation with him.

Amara is doing her best to avoid a fight with this man, but isn't quite sure how to go about it. Shifting her stance a bit, she says, "Filial Wisdom, we hold the knowledge of how to open the gate. If we are allowed to pass unmolested, we can leave with you that knowledge in order to explore the necropolis. As we have said, we are only here for a single item. We want nothing to do with your domain or the riches sealed up in here, and we will leave as soon as we are done retrieving that item. Will this satisfy you?"

The big Solar looks like he is pondering Amara's offer. After a moment, he finally says, "I find your suggestion to be . . . acceptable." He hoists his massive daiklave over his shoulder and sheathes the blade before continuing with, "I grant you and your Circle free passage in and out of Rathess with one item that you can recover from the tomb you seek, so long as you are in and out of the city as soon as possible. I give you a full day to make this happen, and your time starts now."

He turns to the hordes of people with him and waves his hand in a dismissive motion, sending them off across the broken city, back to whatever it was that they were doing before your arrival. He then casually walks over to be closer to Amara, Aredin and Grey Stone so it doesn't require shouting to be heard. It does not seem to be that he had spotted Silent Glade in his hidden position nearby. He looks over at Mercy and Fat Cat with an expectant look, obviously waiting for them to do something to open the gate.

As he waited for the gate to be opened, Grey Stone turned to look at Filial Wisdom. While he appreciated that the Circle had managed to avoid a fight, something about the other Solar still unnerved him a little.

"As we wait for my compatriots to open the gate, perhaps you could tell us about how you came to claim this place?" he suggested in a polite voice. "In my experience, I find that conversation often belays tedium."

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 32/40
Anima: Dim
Committed Essence: 5

Willpower: 7/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Effects:
Spirit-Detecting Glance (The Solar can look through the pall of reality to glimpse the realm of spirits beneath. With this Charm, the Solar can see (but not touch) immaterial spirits.)

The big Solar looks like he is pondering Amara's offer. After a moment, he finally says, "I find your suggestion to be . . . acceptable." He hoists his massive daiklave over his shoulder and sheathes the blade before continuing with, "I grant you and your Circle free passage in and out of Rathess with one item that you can recover from the tomb you seek, so long as you are in and out of the city as soon as possible. I give you a full day to make this happen, and your time starts now."
The very moment the word "now" leaves the huge Solar's mouth, O Mighty Fat Cat immediately and with great respect bows to the cannibal king, whirls face the shimmering barrier, and then proceeds to - within all reason and safety - provide all of the energy he can muster to help open the gate.

Psychie Psychie
Having failed his previous rolls, I am guessing this is his only avenue?

Also, is providing this energy something all Exalted know how to do? (I should stop here before I launch into a mob of questions!) =)

Aredin turned away from Filial Wisdom, hand on the hilt of Adorei. He turned to inspect the wards on the gate, looking to see what he could make out from both the thrum of living essence and the eldritch engravings on the site itself.

Seeing the tension dispersed, Glade returns from his hiding position and walks back to the gate. "A simple ward," he says, nodding to Mercy, "it wants Essence, to prove you are Exalted. We are, what, seven Exalts here? A tithe of, say, one-fifth of each of our Peripheral motes should more than suffice."

Last edited:
The very moment the word "now" leaves the huge Solar's mouth, O Mighty Fat Cat immediately and with great respect bows to the cannibal king, whirls face the shimmering barrier, and then proceeds to - within all reason and safety - provide all of the energy he can muster to help open the gate.

Psychie Psychie
Having failed his previous rolls, I am guessing this is his only avenue?

Also, is providing this energy something all Exalted know how to do? (I should stop here before I launch into a mob of questions!) =)
Fat Cat would know that the process of infusing Essence into the gate is very similar to attuning a item of the magical materials. All you have to do is to let me know how many motes of Essence you wish to feed into the gate.
As he waited for the gate to be opened, Grey Stone turned to look at Filial Wisdom. While he appreciated that the Circle had managed to avoid a fight, something about the other Solar still unnerved him a little.

"As we wait for my compatriots to open the gate, perhaps you could tell us about how you came to claim this place?" he suggested in a polite voice. "In my experience, I find that conversation often belays tedium."

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 32/40
Anima: Dim
Committed Essence: 5

Willpower: 7/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Effects:
Spirit-Detecting Glance (The Solar can look through the pall of reality to glimpse the realm of spirits beneath. With this Charm, the Solar can see (but not touch) immaterial spirits.)
The big Solar eyes Grey Stone with a wary look, then says, "My people and I came here many years ago and swept across the squatters like a scythe through wheat. What few creatures that live here that don't acknowledge my rule scuttle about the hidden paths and hide when I or my cohort come by. I control all here with my iron grasp, and I have defeated all that have come before you to try and take what is mine."

OOC I need to know who is putting Essence into the gate and exactly how many motes you are spending.

Grey Stone will offer up 8 motes of Peripheral Essence. A fifth of his maximum pool, as suggested by Glade.

Last edited:
Amara doesn't say anything, but she does note the fact that this Filial Wisdom just let on that he does not have total control here, and that there are things that do not acknowledge his rule in the city. Interesting. Was that an accidental slip up, or did he mean to tell us about that? Either way, it is something to keep in mind.

She heads over to the gate and places her hand on it to give the needed Essence to unlock the wards.

OOC I'll put eight motes into it.

As the two Exalts begin to channel Essence into the gate, the runes begin to glow, softly at first from the motes put into it from Grey Stone, then somewhat brighter as Amara adds her own energy to the mix.

Purr Purr Did you want Fat Cat to add his own eight motes to the gate?

Rykon Rykon Eonivar Eonivar Chowlett Chowlett Are you going to add your own Essence?

Warily eyeing Filial Wisdom, Glade likewise touches the gate and pours a fraction of his power into it.

7 motes for Glade - he knows the maths ends up a little over, and he spent a bit on his Lore excellency earlier

Mercy steps forward giving a worried glance at Filial Wisdom before placing her hand on the gate and giving forth her essence.

OOC: 8 motes for Mercy

When Aredin finishes focusing his Essence into the gate, there is an audible clunk as the heavy bar keeping the gate sealed shut shifts and slides out of the way. Silently the gate then slowly opens to reveal a wide path leading into the heart of the necropolis.

In either side of the gate is what at first glance appears to be a massive statue of a lion that stands as tall as a Clydesdale horse. It is suddenly clear, however, that these are not mere statues, but actual giant lions when one stands up and looks at the assembled Exalts.

With a deep rumbling voice, it speaks. "It has been many years since anyone has opened the gates to pay homage to the fallen. So long as your intentions are honorable and you did not plan on trying to raid these tombs, you are welcome to enter and look about. I will warn you that many of the tombs themselves have formidable defenses so it is ill advised to try and enter them."

O Mighty Fat Cat feels so terrifically relieved that his Circle had not gone to battle with Filial Wisdom and his hundreds of cannibals. Moments ago, just the thought of the violence and blood atop this holy ground turned his great stomach and saddened his handsome face. The jungle Lunar soon brightened with the realization that indeed, his Circle - his new friends - had gone along with his attempts at peace. Yes, there were certainly times for violence. But his Circle had seen the wisdom in not creating hills of corpses atop what O Mighty Fat Cat felt should be a place of rest and solace for all beings both living and dead.

Seeing as it is Mor'du the Lunar's tomb they were after, Da Chonk now glances to his fellow Exalted in the hopes that his next action is also wise in their eyes. After hearing their words, O Mighty Fat Cat bows in respect to the great feline guardians and approaches them with a show of his open hands. His voice is perhaps as deep as their own.

"Great guardians of de dead, I am O Mighty Fat Cat, an Ealted child of Luna, raised by de peaceful people of de Celestial Wildlands. I thank you for your gracious welcome. Permit me to speak only for myself, for I am no leader and would not speak in place of my friends here." Placing his muscled palms together, he nods to them with a happy smile.

"Guardians, please forgive my naivety and lack of knowledge of de traditions of Rathess. My Solar friends and I have come to bring peace to anotha dead spirit and his blessed forest elemental guardian. Dey are troubled by a third who makes dem suffer wit his black heart and violent ways. For dem, we have come to seek de blessing of a child of Luna, Mor'du. It is said dat in his tomb lies a relic called Spellbreaker. Dis relic can remove de wicked man and bring peace to our dead Solar ally and his guardian. To dis end, I have promised wit Luna as me witness."

Glancing once more to his Circle with perhaps a touch of hope in his features, O Mighty Fat Cat asks the great lion guardians. "I ask of you. Would you please tell us de way to Mor'du's tomb dat we might disturb no otha in our search? Once dere, I wish to pray for Mor'du's spirit to show himself - for wit Luna, all tings are possible. I wish only to ask him if Mor'du will allow us to borrow Spellbreaker; I know nutting of sorcery, but I wish to do right by my fellow Lunar.

"My friends and I have risked our lives to come here; I will risk my life to return Spellbreaker to him. For de freedom of de restless dead an' de living, I beseech you." O Mighty Fat Cat opens his palms once more. His expression is filled with serious anticipation.

"What say you, guardians of de Lunar dead?"

Amara steps up until she is standing besides Fat Cat and she drops down to one knee, eyes downcast. "Noble Lion, I am Amara Kaji, Exalt of the Unconquered Sun. Please allow me to add my own voice to that of my Circle-mate. We only seek the artifact known as Spellbreaker, and have no desire to delve into any of these other places of eternal rest granted to our predecessors. Once we have recovered it, we will leave and I also promise that we will not defile the sanctity of these tombs. With that promise being said, will you allow us passage?"

The two Lions trade a wordless glance before the one that spoke before stands and says, "You both speak soothing words that are reasonable and well thought out. But I can recall many a day that the Celestial Exalted spoke such calm words in one breath and with the next were committing atrocities against Creation and one another. Know this, little Exalts, and mark my words well. If you step one pace from the path you yourselves have promised to walk, the wrath of Yu-Shan will fall upon your heads like an avalanche the likes of which you have yet to imagine. The Deliberative to which I gave my oaths to may be gone, but I will still follow the word I gave. Am I clear?"

At this, the Lion steps to the side to allow you to pass. As it does so, the Lion says, "Unless you have the Key to the tomb entrance, I highly doubt that you will be able to get past the traps that guard Mor'du's final resting place. Good luck, Exalts. You'll need it."

This does help to bring to mind that you were given a token that the ghost of Dunbar said was the Key to deactivate the wards around the tomb. So, as long as he spoke truthfully, you shouldn't have much trouble getting in and out with Spellbreaker. Probably.

Filial Wisdom continues to hold his place at the main gates as the rest of you make your way into the necropolis.

Who has this Key that was given to you by Dunbar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back