• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Into the fire (1x1 MzHyde/Gallifrog)

"I won't I promise" she told him, feeling like everytime she's promised him something she'd proven her word to be true. So hopefully he'd know she had no intention of losing the key. She knew why he couldn't risk just anybody coming into this place and she respected that whole heartedly.

She took the key from him and got up. She headed to her room and put the key safely in her backpack, before changing into her usual pjs and walking back to the couch, sitting in her usual position.

John resumed reading and smoking, pausing occasionally to write something in the margins of the novel or to exhale more smoke. He didn't blow the smoke in Kay's direction though, he wasn't that arsrhole. And besides it was bad enough that he was a chain smoker. He even had terminal lung cancer at one point, but that was another story altogether.

Elliott emerged a while later rubbing his hair in a towel. He too sat down, grabbed his, put in his earphones and began to read. He adopted the same posture as John, leaning into one side of their chairs, their feet propped up against the coffee table, their pencils absent mindedly flicking across their fingers.

Neither of them knew who had started to write in the margins of novels. Maybe it had been John, back all those years ago when he was teaching Elliott English as a way to make it more interesting. Maybe it had been Elliott, as a way to sarcastically express exactly what he thought. Either way, they both did it.

The rest of the evening passed by in relative companiable silence, with Elliott, then John tiring and heading to sleep.

It would be nice to say that everybody slept soundly until the morning, but that wasn't the case. John slept in uneven bursts, not quite able to shake away his metaphorical demons. But it was Elliott who woke the whole apartment with his nightmare induced screams.
(last post)

Kay watched as the two of them were practically carbon copies of each other. It honestly made her mentally laugh. Two peas in a pod as her adoptive mother would say.

She was the last one to retire to bed as she just didn't want to sleep. But eventually she did. Surprisingly she slept soundly until Elliott's screams woke her up. She got up quickly, practically diving out of the bed and running out towards Elliott's room.

His screams worried her greatly and she wanted to help calm him down. She had a feeling John would be on top of it but she still made the effort. She went into his room and sat on the edge of his bed. "Shh.. Ell it's okay...it's okay bud.." she kept saying over and over in a soothing voice, soothingly grabbing hold of him and stroking her fingers through his hair. He'd probably hate her for it but she didn't care.

She'd always do this when either Alia or Ethan (before possession) would get nightmares and it always worked with them. She just had a way of pulling people out of their nightmares, but could never do the same for herself when she had them. Then something surprising happened, her wings came out and wrapped around both them in a comforting manner.

"You're gonna be alright Ell. I promise, I'm here" she found herself saying.

Elliott woke up shortly after, his own screams and the contents of his nightmares forcing him back into consciousness. He didn't speak or even acknowledge the presence of Kay. He just drew one leg up and pressed his face into it. But it was clear from the shaking of his shoulders and his irregular, hitching breathing that he was crying. His façade of toughness and being able to cope with whatever life had thrown at him had completely vanished.

As soon as Kay touched Elliott a barage of images and half memories flooded through her mind. A gleaming city (the same futuristic one depicted in the sketch on the wall of Kay's room) framed against a backdrop of dark purple-grey mountains. The sky was streaked with an orange haze, and the planet's rings arced high across the sky bisecting it into two halves. An assembly of people, all wearing ceremonial robes, each with molten golden eyes. A sword swinging towards Kay's face. An empty void and an overwhelming feeling of intense pain, both emotional and physical. And only a fraction of what Elliott was actually feeling.

John arrived shortly after Kay, looking almost as bad as Elliott. It was clear that he had barely slept, and his hair was sticking out in all directions, the universe's way of laughing at his punk past. His face was creased with worry, sadness, tiredness and an intense cocktail of other emotions. He too wrapped his arms around Elliott and held him tight. He too began to comfort Elliott, but in a completly different language. It was totally unlike any language on earth both in sound and flow.

Kay got swamped in his memories. The pain he felt and went through overwhelmed her but she refused to let go of him. She had the need to protect him and comfort him. No wonder he refused to talk about his past she thought to herself. If this was a fraction of what he went through and felt, it was no wonder to her that he kept up a bravado to hide all this. Anyone would have.

She glanced up when John followed in and also held him. She still kept hold of him protectively like an older sister would hold their brother or a mother to a child. One of her wings just enveloped not just Elliott but John as well, and Kay knew that was Fee's part of her soul doing it. She listened and let John take over on talking to him, knowing he would no doubt know what to say to Elliott.

She found it utterly beautiful in a weird way considering the situation at hand.

Whatever John was saying clearly worked. The memories faded away as he regained control over both his powers and his breathing. John thought it was strange that at times like this, where Elliott was still trying to deal with the trauma of what had happened to him, that Elliott's native tongue had such a calming effect. John would have thought the opposite would be true- that hearing John speak in the language of Elliott's betraying people would only make matters worse. But it didn't.

Suffieciently under control Elliott slumped sideways against John, murmuring his thanks in the same alien tongue that Johna had been speaking. It sounded totally normal coming from Elliott, as if this was the language he was meant to express himself through. It was now that it became blindingly obvious that English was not his first language.

Kay felt him calm down and it made her relieved that John succeeded. She watched him slump against John and rubbed his arm that nearest her in a comforting manner.

Hearing him respond in the same language fascinated her and she did I deed come to realise it was his first language. Even though she didn't understand what John said to him, she could easily work out Elliott thanked him. That was something that no language barrier would have stopped people from understanding.

Her wing unwrapped from both of them and disappeared into her back once more. She stayed silent but kept comforting Elliott.

The two talked for a bit in the same language before Elliott fell quiet. Lifting a hand, Elliott ran his fingers across the scar, gently feeling the ridge of skin, as if to check it was still there. He'd hated the scar at first, point blank refused to look in a mirror and had dabbled with various concealers in an attempt to hide it. But he'd come to realise that it was a symbol of his survival, and by hiding it he was letting the people who cast him out win. After that he had worn it as a badge of honour.

At some point Elliott fell asleep against John's shoulder. When he was certain that his adoptive son was indeed asleep John ran his thumb along the scar line too. The gesture was strangely tender. John sighed, not quite willing to move away just yet.

Kay watched the whole thing unfold. Seeing John show tenderness towards Elliott made her heart warm. She could see clear as day how much John did indeed care for him.

"I'll leave you with him for a bit. If you need me to help in any way possible just holla okay?" She whispered to John, so not to wake Elliott. "Just..try and get some sleep too" She added, standing up from Elliott's bed.

"He'll be okay John..He's a tough kid even if he doesn't think it in moments like these." She told him, giving John a light pat on the back before leaving for her room.

"I'm sorry you had to see this mess" John was hoping that maybe this would be the year where the nightmares finally relinquished their grip on Elliott and that he could pass through this night without having to relive the terror of his past. "Oh I knkw he will be, but it still hurts. And beside isn't there some bullshit quote about it's in times like this that true strength shows?" He replied, part rhetorically, part not. As Kay left John's parting words were quiet, barely audible but meaningful "and thanks...for helping."

John didn't stay with Elliott the whole night, but he stayed a long time. Eventually he just crashed out on the couch, falling into a dreamless void. He didn't wake when Elliott did, nor did he stir when his adoptive son began to pack.

Last edited:
Before she left she smiled, "don't apologise. I used to help my mates through their own nightmares so it doesn't phase me. Yeah... There is quotes like that out there."

When she left she could have sworn she heard him thank her and it made her smile whilst she wasn't facing him. If she heard him right, she was glad she got a thanks out of him finally. But she was more glad between them, Elliott managed to calm down enough to fall back asleep.

She went back to bed and fell asleep, until waking up the next morning. She got up and gave the mural Elliott drew a good look. Studying it she felt so differently about it now she had seen what she did last night. Brushing it off her mind, she left her room and headed straight to the kitchen to get coffee on the go. She noticed John on the couch and decided to leave him to wake up when he was ready.

On the main table was Elliott's backpack, filled with who only knows what. Knowing Elliott probably weapons and art supplies. It was black, with woven leather handles and shoulder straps. The bag was battered from years of use. Elliott was leaning over the table, writing on a page of his sketch book. He was dressed different to usual, his regular leather jacket/long coat traded for a dark blue hoodie, the hood pulled up almost covering his whole head.

He looked up at Kay's arrival, before turning back to his note wordlessly. There was something different about him.

Kay noticed Elliott sitting there and writing. She was going to say something but she thought back to Jay's advice the night prior. She leaned against the worktop whilst waiting for the coffee to brew.

She studied Elliott noticing how different he was. She toyed with her thoughts on whether to say something or not. She didn't want to anger or upset him. Then she opened her mouth, "you don't have to reply or talk to me but be careful...whatever or wherever you go. I want you safe" she told him in a soft and caring voice.

The coffee boiled, and she turned her back to him to pour herself a mug. She just wanted him to know she'll be there for him if he ever wanted her, whether it be an unbiased outsider view or like last night, a calming presence in the vacinity.

Elliott didn't say anything, just looked up reagrded her with narrowed eyes before contining writing. His handwriting had a lean towards the right. He looked over the note once and decided that he was happy with it. He tore out the page and the page below it from the sketchpad. Deftly he folded the second page into an origami crane, which he left on top of the note. The note read:

John,
I can't take being here, I have to go somewhere, anywhere that isn't here.
I won't be back until tomorrow morning most likely.
Don't bother asking Chas to search for me and don't to track me by some other means.
You won't find me.
Don't do anything stupid
Elliott

He placed his two phone on the table next to the note, along with a plastic bag containing trackers. With that he hoisted the bag up onto his bag and left the apartment. He glanced at the sprawled out figure of John on the couch, his molten gold eyes full of emotion.

(Elliott's various eye colours are symbollic of many things)

She knew he wouldn't reply to her but she had to get what she said off her chest. So she kept quiet sipping her coffee. She watched him make a crane out of the paper. She soon enough took her eyes away from him and did a inventory of what was in and what she would need for her little surprise.

She was aware of Elliott leaving the apartment but said nothing. After making a list of what she'd need and shoving it in her lounge jumper pocket, she poured John a cup of coffee and brought it over, placing it on the table.

She placed her hand delicately on his shoulder. "John...made you coffee" she gently said waking him.

John groaned and checked the time on his watch, barely even registering Kay's presence. He knew full well that Elliott wasn't around, and the sight of the neatly folded bird on the table only confirmed that. Despite sleeping for at least four hours straight, he looked awful, even more haggard and rumpled than usual. He sat up, scratching the back of his head and reached out for the note.

He read it and sighed, so far everything was proceeding as normal. Elliott woukd vanished, to who knows where, leaving anything he could possibly be tracked with behind. Chas would try and fond him, but it would be a fruitless search, it always was. John would spend the day smoking and wallowing in the double whammy of bad memories, and Chas would also be trying to think about anything but the significance of the day.

He sent a picture of the note to Chas anyway.

Kay drank her coffee before heading into the bathroom to get washed. She knew it was best to just leave John to it. She got the feeling it would be a fruitless effort to try and talk to him.

She thought about it alot when in the bathroom before heading into her room and getting dressed. She pulled out her khaki oversized jumper that had holes in it near the bottom hem and a pair of leggings with a wavelength pattern down the front. Brushing her hair she tied it into a lose side braid, wispy strands falling out and framing her face. She put on one of her beanies and pulled on some black chunky boots and her beloved biker jacket.

She grabbed her bag before heading into the main room. "Just gonna nip out for a little while. There's some things I need to pick up. I'll be back and if you need me..." She explained, jotting down her burner phone number. "You can get me on that number" she said.

John merely shrugged and nodded at the same time, not at all in the mood for talking, or any kind of human interaction at all really. As soon as he was certain Kay had totally and utterly gone he went over and rolled back part of the main carpet. It was no surprise that John had secret storage in the floor. Carefully he lifted up the floor boards and pulled out a large envelope sealed with a significant amount of tape.

He replaced the floor boards and the carpet, before settling back in the chair. The envelope was filled with photos, which he began to slowly look through, letting the memories of the pain and sadness wash over him. He would curse his own stupidity, arrogance, whatever fatal flaw it had been that lead to their untimely demise. He was reposnsible and he knew it. Because not onoy was today the anniversary of Elliott's exile, but the anniversary of Newcastle, John's worst mistake.

Kay left the apartment giving John space. She knew today was going to be a case of walking on eggshells but like Jay warned her, she knew it wasn't anything she'd do or say to make the day be the way it was. She had to just give John his space, let Elliott be wherever he wanted to be and get through it all.

She headed to the nearest superstore and grabbed a trolley to do the shopping she needed. She walked back and forth through the isles grabbing all kinds of ingredients, she had her MP3 player on and listening to music as she went.

She spent a good half hour going round before joining the queue to pay for everything. She hoped the rest of her time out on her own would continue to go smoothly.

John spent that time pouring over the photos. He'd amassed a collection of them over the years. There were quite a few of Elliott, including the one Chad had taken when the black haired boy had quite literally crashed into their lives. Elliott was scowling, his eyes narrowed, his hair singed almost right down to the scalp at the left hand side. There were some superficial burns on Elliott's arms and neck, but nothing that would leave a lasting mark. And then there was the scar, far more rough and ragged than it was today.

John sighed, tipping his head towards the ceiling. He was already worried, and it would only get worse as the day went on. At some point he'd just snap and lose it completely.

Chas meanwhile was driving around London, trying not to concentrate on the conversation with the passenger in the back and not on the significance of the day.

Kay grabbed the bags and left the superstore. Her music completely surrounding her life around her. She felt proud that she managed to find everything she needed.

Strolling around, she couldn't help but make most of the time to window shop and the likes. She came across a book store and walked inside. She wanted to give John a decent amount of time to himself. Looking around she wondered if she'd find anything that would interest her, but nothing did.

Leaving she headed back to John's. It was then she felt like she was being watched, but not seeing anyone she told herself she was just being paranoid because of the kidnapping. It didn't stop her however, quickening her pace until she got back. She walked inside and sighed with relief she was back and safe.

Shortly before Kay arrived back, John stood up and replaced the photographs under the floorboards, adding Elliott's note and the folded origami bird into the floor hollow too. He lit a cigarette, which would be the first of many that day and began to think, a dark, haunted look coming over his face

(last post, and it's a bit short as I'm tired)

(no worries, I'm pretty tired myself today)

Walking to the kitchen, she put some stuff away. She purposely kept some stuff out as she knew she'd need it. There was various ingredients out, including things that were clearly for baking.

She then went to her room to put her bag and jacket away before walking back out folding up her jumper sleeves. Today would be spent in the kitchen baking and cooking John food that he could pick at as and when he needed it.

John barely reacted to her presence, his mind drawn into the dark depths of his mind. He was smoking on autopilot, his mind clearly focused elsewhere. But there was no doubt that if danger was so much as to sniff in his direction, he would send it packing with no mercy. There was something dark lurking in his expression, maybe it was always there, and had chosen today to rear it's head.

The silence was broken by Elliott's phone ringing. He had set his ringtone to the souns of the TARDIS materialising. John found it ironic that Elliott loved Doctor Who and the whole universe of fictional aliens that accompanied it, but if he was to see even the slightest sign of his race he would shut down. The caller ID read "BlueJay"

Kay had her headphones still on and busy in the kitchen. She was bopping her head to whatever music she was listening to (which happened to Halestorm), whilst mixing flour with eggs and butter and sugar. She had decided to bake a cake.

Due to this she didn't really hear Elliott's phone go off. She was so busy she was kind of oblivious to everything behind her. When she was happy with her mixture density, she poured it into a cake tin and put it in the oven.

She then turned her attention to making dish for lunch that was her signature dish she always made. A massive one pot meal that meant people could just help themselves if and when they wanted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back