• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

laceanddoodles

Your run of the mill Victorian lady
The Saint Agnes Finishing School sits upon a high hill, out in the country. There, the daughters of high society come to be molded into the sorts of ladies their parents expect them to be. Also, a number of orphans, urchins, and otherwise delinquent girls are granted scholarship and stay at the school, so that they might learn the genteel ways of polite society, and in due course, better themselves. Some of these young girls go on to be Saint Agnes’ most promising pupils, and some even find themselves in the position to receive sponsorship from a board member or donor, allowing them to truly step out of the lower class and in to the world of the upper middle class.

The girls are taught English, French, arithmetic, history, music, dance, sewing, embroidery, cooking and baking, etiquette, home management, rhetoric, and flower arranging. The purpose of the school is to transform even the roughest girl into a young lady who can run a fine house with servants, throw a high tea or dinner party flawlessly, is always dressed stylishly, who can sing, play an instrument, waltz or polka competently when called upon to do so, and who keeps a beautiful home and has excellent manners. In other words, a young lady who is thoroughly marriageable.

Saint Agnes is an eight year institution, taking in girls as young as ten years old. Of course, girls of any age between ten and eighteen are welcome to enroll, they just might be a bit behind their peers. The youngest girls, those thirteen and below, comprise the lower school. They wear a different uniform and have a slightly more lax class schedule, in order to ease them into the more rigorous upper school with the older girls. Your year placement is determined by age, not aptitude, but if you fall behind, teachers and more accomplished peers will work with you to make sure you pick up what is necessary.

~

Next door, or, rather, on the top of the next hill over about a fifteen minute walk away, sits the Grandview Academy for Young Gentlemen. Grandview is a military academy, which prides itself on turning out fine officers as well as disciplined, intelligent, and ambitious gentlemen. A Grandview Man is one who is always looking forward, who is always climbing up in the world. The school tolerates no tomfoolery, no indecision. If a boy is to survive here, he must be possessed of a singularly determined mind.

There is a heavy emphasis upon sports and athletics, but besides that, the boys are taught English, French, rhetoric and public speaking, mathematics, history, music, dance, philosophy, military history, chess, economics, and battle strategy. The goal is, whether he might wish to join the military or the world of business, to turn a boy into a man with the skills, knowledge, and ruthless drive to dominate in his field and make a name for himself.

This is also an eight year institution, run quite a lot like Saint Agnes in that regard. However, they are not afraid to hold a boy back a year until he’s proven he’s ready to move on.

~

Saint Agnes and Grandview interact as institutions every so often. At the end of each month, a formal dinner is hosted where the students are expected to interact. This is, of course, an exercise in social etiquette for all pupils. It is important that young people are taught how to elegantly interact with members of the opposite sex. At the end of the year, Saint Agnes hosts the annual May Ball, an elegant affair and a promise of continued friendship with Grandview. There, the young ladies and gentlemen may show off all they’ve learned over the year in a night of dancing, flirting, intelligent conversation, and beautiful dress.

Other than this, interactions between the two student populaces are strictly banned by both institutions. One can't allow for impropriety.

~~~

Welcome to Impolite Society! This is a historical rp based off of two boarding schools in the mid 1880s. It's okay if you're not a big history buff, this rp will mostly be centered on the hijinks, antics, and shenanigans of bunch of children and teenagers. The history is just added trimming, and I will be here to help you and answer any questions you might have. So, let me get a few details out of the way!

-You may make students anywhere from 10 to 18 years old, from either school.
-You may make a teacher, housekeeper, other staff, just ask!
-In terms of plot, I encourage you to have your students break the rules-- sneak out, get in trouble, flirt.
-All of my rps are lgbt+ friendly, and as a bisexual woman who loves history, I reject the notion that lgbt+ identities are something new or modern. They have always existed, just sometimes under the veil of secrecy and shame. Through storytelling, we can lift that veil, and illuminate the hypothetical lives and dramas of those who came before us. That being said, the schools themselves and the society of the 1880s is less welcoming. I think, however, explicitly allowing and encouraging queer identities will only serve to enhance the rp. The stakes of having to hide queer relationships and differing gender identities, as well as the stakes of a character trying to come to terms with their own identity and reconciling it with what society says is acceptable can only make for some good storytelling.
-Basically, I just want a dramatic and opulent historical rp.

~~~~

Rules
-Be nice be respectful out of character
-Swearing is okay in moderation, but definitely would be against the rules of both schools.
-No one liners. We don’t need novellas, but please give at least a good paragraph.
-Research isn’t required (or expected), but it is encouraged. I won’t be enforcing historical accuracy too much, but also, if you have any questions about the history, ask me! I will probably have an answer!!
-Follow the rules of RPN
-Anime fcs are okay, but I prefer real people, your own artwork, or artwork you have permission to use from the artist.
-Have fun, ask me any questions you might have, and let’s tell a good story!

Roles:

Saint Agnes Finishing School
Lower School students:
-
-
-
Upper School students:
- _amaranth_ _amaranth_
- .V1LLAINISM._ .V1LLAINISM._
- Mooniee Mooniee
-

Grandview Academy for Young Gentlemen:
Lower School students:
-
-
-
Upper School students:
- .V1LLAINISM._ .V1LLAINISM._
- I.EVie I.EVie
- dae mec dae mec
- Caoimhe_ Caoimhe_
-

FACULTY/STAFF

Saint Agnes:

-Housekeeper
-Maids
-Cook
-Groundskeeper
-English teacher
-French teacher MinnieMin99 MinnieMin99
-Mathematics teacher
-History teacher
-Etiquette/flower arranging teacher Caoimhe_ Caoimhe_
-Music teacher
-Dance teacher
-Sewing/embroidery teacher
-Cooking, baking, and household management teacher _amaranth_ _amaranth_
-Rhetoric teacher

Grandview:

-Housekeeper
-Maids C c6474
-Cook
-Groundskeeper
-English teacher
-French teacher
-Mathematics teacher
-History teacher
-Economics teacher dae mec dae mec
-Music teacher
-Dance teacher
-Military history/battle strategy teacher
-Athletics master
-Rhetoric teacher

Last edited:
I would love to make The Saint Agnes Finishing School student, probably one of the older girls.

Well, then welcome! Any thoughts on which school you'd like to make a character for?
I would probably make one for the girl's school as well, perhpas a new transfer? Though I also have an idea of making a mischevious, boyish character from the boy's school... If Im allowed to have more than one character?

I would probably make one for the girl's school as well, perhpas a new transfer? Though I also have an idea of making a mischevious, boyish character from the boy's school... If Im allowed to have more than one character?
You certainly are! For both, upper or lower school? (Remember that's based more on age. 10-13 would be lower school and 14-18 would be upper.)

I'm guessing this is a psuedo-Britain setting, so would it be possible for me to have someone with colonial/mixed heritage? (Totally understand if you want to restrict it to staff/grounds if you don't think it would be plausible for a student. I also understand if you'd rather not deal with race at all in your historical RP.) Ideas that came to mind include a male teacher who was once a former student, a maid/housekeeper of mixed heritage, or an Upper House Grandview student from a middle/lower class.

I'm guessing this is a psuedo-Britain setting, so would it be possible for me to have someone with colonial/mixed heritage? (Totally understand if you want to restrict it to staff/grounds if you don't think it would be plausible for a student. I also understand if you'd rather not deal with race at all in your historical RP.) Ideas that came to mind include a male teacher who was once a former student, a maid/housekeeper of mixed heritage, or an Upper House Grandview student from a middle/lower class.
Absolutely! That sounds like a fantastic idea. So, student or staff (or both, if you want more than one)? It's up to you!

I would love to grab some staff as well if we’ll need some (thought I could only go for one character 😁)

Hmmm, maybe cooking and baking class, I would go maybe for a different nationality young-ish teacher

Hey 👋🏽 I’m interested in being a grand view upper student and as a Saint Agnes etiquette teacher, if that’s possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back