• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I CAN PUNCH IT! Our Spirit-Slaying Startup《 Roleplay Information & Lore 》

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Blu

ᴏɴʟʏ ᴄᴏʟᴏʀꜱ ʟᴇꜰᴛ ᴀʟɪᴠᴇ.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I-CAN-PUNCH-IT-Logo.png

ICPI-Premise.png
When college dropout Ryota Shikinami gets into an automobile crash during a drunken binge, both of his arms are completely destroyed in the accident. He wakes up in a seemingly abandoned hospital and, to his surprise, he's been transplanted with two entirely new arms—although admittedly they look a bit odd. Not long after, he is approached by two strangers in suits asking him to come with them.

Out of nowhere, the three are attacked by an entity called a 'Yōkai'—a malicious spirit. In truth, Ryo could always see yōkai ever since he was a kid but, no matter how much he tried, he could never touch them. His hands would always phase through and they, in turn, would completely ignore him. But now he is being attacked by one. On the verge of imminent death, he shouts "Screw it!" and throws a blind punch. Splat! An explosion of blood and viscera covers the room and Ryo.

The two suits had the intuition to hide behind cover to avoid the mess. Finally, one of them smiles and says, "You passed. Welcome to our spirit-slaying startup company." Huh?

So begins the story of a group of coworkers out to save the world, one yōkai at a time… for a nominal fee of course!

ICPI-Setting.png
In Japan's distant past, yōkai roam the land in search of human hosts to devour their souls and take possession of their physical bodies in order to evolve to new heights and gain unspeakable power. To combat this threat, exorcists known as Onmyōji—practiced in the sacred rituals of Onmyōdō—battled tirelessly against these evil spirits using a variety of weapons and magic at their disposal. In the event of a possession, often times the human victim would be saved but countless lives were lost throughout. Regardless of their occasional failures, the onmyōji swiftly became revered as mystics and heroes that kept Japan safe from otherworldly dangers.

Fast forward to modern times and, well, the concept of yōkai and onmyōji are seen simply as myths and folklore, fit for cautionary tales but nothing to pay heed too. But every so often, mysterious disappearances and unexplainable deaths occur. Yōkai still reside among us to this very day. While the general public is ignorant of this issue, Japan's government does have a secret division that is involved in all matters paranormal. The ASC—Agency of Supernatural Containment—recruits present-day onmyōji to deal with the persisting yōkai threat. Only nowadays, onmyōji, having abandoned their esoteric ways and rituals, are simply referred to as Spirit-Slayers. No fuss, no fanfare. It's a job first more than anything.

Spirit-slayers are paid for their talents, and that idea blossomed into independent companies run by slayers who contract themselves out to the highest bidder. While government-sponsored work is steady, they tend to have poor compensation. Sometimes you'll get lucky and score lucrative private cases and really rake in the money. So as it stands, this is the current state of the world: yōkai cause trouble and spirit-slayers get hired to eliminate them for a fee. But dark forces rarely sit idly for too long. The eternal struggle between the yōkai and those who slay them may soon come to a head...

ICPI-Extra.png
Welcome to this Anime-style RP revolving around a small startup company that slays yōkai as a service. Players will take on the role of a spirit-slayer in said company and, together, we'll take on nasty otherworldly baddies while going through the pitfalls of owning a small business run by a tightly-knit group of eccentric troublemakers.

《 1 》 Spirit-slayers uses special weapons and/or magic to fight against their foes. Since this is anime-styled, you have a lot of freedom in what your powers may look like. If you're unsure of a character concept once the CS is up, feel free to DM me. Alternatively, you can study up on the ideas of Onmyōdō and draw inspiration from that.

《 2 》 This will be a mostly plot-driven roleplay. I'm always open to story ideas so everyone's welcome to contribute. I'll be looking to accept 3 other players as part of our protagonist group. If there are extra interested players, you can optionally join as side characters that can freely go about doing whatever in the world and will occasionally show up in the main plot. Note that these side roles are more open to a variety of character concepts: you can play a good guy, bad guy, spirit-slayer, yōkai, yōkai-possessed human, etc.

《 3 》 There is a specific role that I'm looking to fill: our startup's President/CEO. I'm looking for a female character to fill that part but, other than that detail, there are no other requirements for the role.

《 4 》 The other two established employees of the startup have been with the company for at least a couple of years so pre-existing relationships should be discussed between all three characters (including the president).

《 5 》 The main setting of this RP is Tokyo, specifically the Hatagaya suburbs. The team operates out of an old ramen shop and the name of the company can be decided among the three players in the company group.

《 6 》 Our starting post in the IC will be a collaborative effort, retelling the events mentioned in the Premise in detail so I'll be providing a discord later on to facilitate that as well as just being an extra OOC.

ICPI-Archives.png

• onmyouji-02.png
    The modern-day equivalent of an onmyōji, slayers have long forgo the esoteric teachings and sacred rituals known as Onmyōdō that defined their order in the past. In a sense, they have become jaded to it. Despite this, they still maintain the use of magic and the ability to wield supernaturally-enhanced weaponry in their fight against the malevolent spirits that beset Japan. While some slayers opt to work for the government's ASC, most prefer making a better living off their talents by joining private spirit-slaying companies.

Slayer firms accept both governmental contracts and independent cases from private citizens in their venture. They investigate suspicious deaths and disappearances linked to the paranormal, ascertain the locations of yōkai and the possessed, and ultimately slay them for the sake of public safety. In the process of slaying a possessed human while their soul remains somewhat intact will also generally expel the invasive spirit and return that person back to normal.

Legally-registered slayers are given an identification badge by the ASC, identifiable by the Japanese police which will prevent potential conflicts or unwanted interference from law enforcement while they work a case. These badges are nationally recognized, meaning a slayer can operate anywhere in Japan without concerning themselves with the local jurisdiction.

「 Questions, comments, or concerns? Please let me know in the OOC or via DM. Thank you! 」

Users who are viewing this thread

Back