• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

Jakob didn't say much to those trying to cheer him up. He just gave them a respectful nod before walking away from the group, not forward but back to the first hollow he had killed in this personal Hell. When Jakob approach the corpse of William he felt an immeasurable amount of sadness. This man trusted him to the very end and Jakob betrayed that trust, he still remembers Williams that night in the trenches near Fort Uib. "...been a long time hasn't it." said Jakob while looking down at the corpse. "I'm so... sorry Will, I wish things would have been different... I wish I had listened to you those days... You were always a better person than me, friend." Jakob remained silent for a little while, before grabbing Williams torn jacket and covering the corpse with it. "...I'm sorry Will, I... hope one day... if your soul still lives somewhere, you find... the strength to forgive me." Jakob cleaned any tears from his face before walking away from Williams body, he did not care about Inari's real form, what does it matter anyways? He just walked to Riberta and gave her another respectful nod. "...I'll follow you ma'am."

Inari snatched Kyoshi quickly, pulling the blade towards her and laying the handle upon her shoulder as the tip rested against the ground. She nearly shivered once she had it in her grasp again, and she slid her fingers down the side of the dull metal, almost as if she was stroking it. "[I will not drop you again,]" she whispered to it. "[I am... I am sorry. Please, forgive me. Everything is okay now. Hush, Kyoshi, you are safe.]"

She heard Takato make his explanation and she remained silent, using a cloth to clean any mud away from the blade before placing it back in its sheath at her side. Her hand remained on the hilt protectively and she looked over the others before moving along with them.

"It rude to touch others sword, anyway. Should be no... risk," she added to Loque and Takato.

Senya ventured towards their destination, seeing the others make conversation. The sooner they get there, the better.

"Surely the thought of using fallen weapons on the battlefield has crossed your mind before," Takato responded to Inari, "and that nearly happened here too, you know."

Takato looked over at the others, noting how some have already started moving forward. He gave Inari a final glance before following the others, as he debated assisting Venextos, though unaware of what areas the Grans Magus had already observed.

Vincent was preoccupied with studying the corpse of the shadow demon, rubbing the dark substance that had been oozing from its wounds between his fingers. It was thick, like a black sludge or tar substance. He eventually wiped the substance off on the demon's clothing, before standing. As he stood, he started to notice the corpse fading a bit. As if its color were draining from it into a pure blackness. Then, it began to disolve into a fine dust.

The dust blew away, the corpse eventually disappearing entirely. And all the dust behaved rather peculiarly, flowing right into the shadow on the ground just behind Jakob and disappearing. Then, the gas around them lifted completely...and the environment began to shift and morph. No longer were they in a swampy battlefield littered in corpses and instruments of war. Soon, they were back in the grasslands they had been travelling before while escaping the wrath demons.

Riberta looked about, before glancing back to Jakob. She then looked down at the shotgun in his hands. The shadow demon's weapon, which hadn't disappeared. "...Keep using that. Might cause a little damage to anything else we find down here."

Takato looked over the changing scenery, returning to the scene it had previously been before they stumbled into the swamp of shadowy creation. Promptly, it reminded him of the circumstances that had brought them there - retreating from the wrath demons hastily southward. Though none had gotten involved during the previous battle, it did still leave the hermit worried on whether the battle was heard from afar or not. Thinking about Venextos, he decided to speak up:

"Hopefully none here mind if an investigation of our collective behind is undertaken from the skies," he said, before taking for the sky to get a view of their surroundings and their path they took to get here. Better safe than sorry.

Inari watched curiously as the landscape shifted, and with it, all the mud that had covered her from her fall. She eyed her limbs and brushed away some remaining grit. "[Thats nifty.]" Ultimately, she was surprised many of the others didn't seem concerned of her true kitsune nature. A strange thing that was. Evidently, Loque and perhaps some didn't even know what that was, which was a relief in some regard. Things could get rough back home with some crowds, while others flee. Her face had earned a bit of a reputation so it was usually the latter. Not a terrible thing to attach to one's growing legend, though it could have been better. Rather than people fleeing, they could always throw gold, or something.

She checked her bags to make sure all was where it should be and carried along.

The corpses of the hollowed soldiers that the group had slain remained, as the group themselves gathered themselves and pushed onward. It didn't seem that the wrath demons were chasing them, at least from what they and Takato above could see. Perhaps the shadow demons had scared them away? Whatever the case, they moved across the barren terrain towards the south. Heading for the weapons and munitions factories that Tariun had them targeting. Twenty miles they would need to travel, and likely twenty miles back to return to the train. Unless Tariun had another method of transportation to get them out of Azgon's territory.

---
Elsewhere...

Taranoch's Fortress
Dis
The Heartlands

"Yet another meeting about Ethraeil's little skirmishes to the south...I thought we'd have ended that lich's miserable existence by now." muttered Ralvas, as he lifted his glass of wine to his vessel's lips. He was in the body of a middle aged man, in a sleek black suit and coat with short black hair combed back just so. Nearby Sazak chuckled, in his favorite blonde female vessel. "You underestimate just how much of a cockroach Ethraeil can be." he responded, glancing towards the pride demon. A large, muscular man across the large table from the pair, clad in bits of leather armor and fur, let out a annoyed grunt. Sazak looked to him, and a grin creeped across her face. "Now Azgon...don't get worked up." Azgon shifted in his seat, folding his arms and cutting Sazak a hateful look.

"Well, whenever you idiots kill him, I want his corpse." muttered a woman to Azgon's left. She was dressed in a fancy leather outfit, trimmed in gold, with long brown hair that hung down to the small of her back. Ralvas spoke again. "For what, Keggoth? To add to that collection of yours?" he said, as he set his glass down and looked towards her. "Obviously. He's supposedly this all-powerful Lich King. That alone would make it a wonderful collector's item." she replied. Across from her, a woman dressed quite similarly to a pirate with a scar over her right eye frowned. "You already have plenty of nice things. Things I'd kill to have." said the woman, whom was then nudged by the woman immediately to her left between her and Sazak. This one appeared to be an elf, dressed in a nice crimson cloak with what appeared to be a black lace dress beneath it. "Sister, please. You have so many nice things yourself. There's no need to be upset."

The pirate cut the elf a look. "You know I don't, Sekath. I haven't had anything nice since our mother died." she spat. Sekath chuckled. "You were the favored child, and now you're not. Its just something you have to live with, Sagath." replied the elf with a smile that made Sagath's eye twitch. To the right of Azgon across the table, a seat down from him, a rather fat and ugly individual in fancy clothes burped quite loudly. Drawing all of their attention. He took a breath, before speaking. "Nobody gives a shit about what you want, Sagath." he said simply, not bothering to look at her. The envy demon was fuming at this point. "And nobody gives a shit about what a fat fuck like you thinks, Thorgran." she said, almost jumping out of her seat as she slammed her hands on the table before her.

Thorgran chuckled, as his chair creaked from his sheer weight, before turning his head and looking at the empty chair between him and Azgon. "...I see Dulvon hasn't shown up again." he muttered. Ralvas smirked, tilting his head. "Does he ever? He's the demon of Sloth. He doesn't even have a vessel. He just sits in that forest of his and stares at the lake." Keggoth spoke up. "And that's fine with me." she said, "He's the only one here that doesn't try to take my stuff. That makes him leagues better than any of you."

As the group talked amongst themselves around the large obsidian table, a voice spoke up from nearby. "Silence yourselves." said a feminine voice aloud. Her voice echoed throughout the large stone chamber, bouncing off the smooth dark grey walls and towering arches over them. The statue-like demonic guards near the entrances to the room even twitched at the sound. The Icons at the table silenced themselves, looking towards the origin of the voice. Coming down a set of steep stairs, which lead to a chamber a floor above them, was a bald woman clad in black robes. Adorning the robe here and there were red sigils and markings, all Abyssal in origin. Her skin was smooth and white like porcelain, and she wore rather stylized makeup with dark red eye shadow. Another striking thing about her was her lack of horns. Her piercing gold eyes darted between the Icons, as she finally reached the bottom step and approached the table.

Sazak spoke up as she neared them. "Pleasure to see you again, Mazgith." said the demon of vainglory, to which he received a look from the woman. She didn't reply, but did state something else. "Lord Taranoch approaches." The Icons looked amongst themselves, before looking back up towards the doorway that Mazgith had descended from. And a moment later, their king stepped through the doorway. Even while in his vessel, Taranoch's presence was something to marvel at...and be terrified of. His aura was near overwhelming, and if he hadn't been suppressing it and had been outside of his vessel, its likely their senses would have been scrambled just from his sheer power. The vessel was clad in only a pair of black trousers and boots, his upper torso exposed and showing off his muscular and scarred form. Around his neck hung a necklace, the red stone inside it gleaming quite brightly in the slightly dim light of the room.

He said not a word, as he reached the bottom of the steps and approached the table. The Icons were dead silent, and remained that way as Taranoch soon reached them. His face bore a serious, focused expression...which was a near constant for the demon king. As he reached the table, Mazgith stepped out of the way. Standing off to the side nearby. Taranoch stood at the end of the table, not bothering to sit down in the chair next to him.

And then he spoke.

"...Why is Ethraeil still alive, Azgon? It has been 3 years, and I still hear of his strikes against us." he said, his eyes drifting from the center of the table before him over to Azgon. Azgon was quiet for only a brief moment. "...He's somehow managing to elude my forces, my lord. My lieutenants believe that he might have help from Azathor and his allies."

The mention of Azathor made Taranoch's eyes drift across the table to Sazak. He pressed his hands against the table, as he leaned over it. "Your son is a problem, Sazak. I trust you intend to deal with him." he said, his eyes locked onto Sazak's. Sazak nodded. "Yes, sire. I already have my loyal sons searching for him. He won't stay hidden much longer." Taranoch stared at him for a few moments, before speaking again. "Let us hope they do find him. If they should fail to do so..." A moment later, the table split quite violently. Straight down the middle, originating from where Taranoch had placed his hands. The other Icons visibly twitched. "...then I will punish them appropriately."

Sazak's gaze never wavered. In fact, he smiled. "Understood, my lord." he replied, with a simple nod. Taranoch then straightened up. "...I have also heard reports of the death of the Priest in Sheol. Word of Tariun's return to the Abyss has also reached my ears. Do you have anything to say on the matter, Ralvas?" He looked to the Icon of Pride, whom shrugged. "Not at this time, sire. We're still investigating the matters." Taranoch eyed him for a moment, before speaking once more. "...If she has returned, locate and bring her to me."

He then turned about, and began to walk back towards the steps. As he walked, he spoke aloud. "Sazak, remain in the fortress. I wish to speak to you. The rest of you may go." he said, before beginning his ascent up the staircase. The other Icons quickly stood from their seats, eyeing one another before departing for the two exits of the room. Sazak, however, remained where he was sitting. He propped his legs up on the edge of the table, clasping his hands together on his lap. And gave a smile to Mazgith.

After noting that it appeared the wrath demons were no longer on their trail, for whatever reason, even if a reason matters not at this moment, Takato returned back to ground, informed them and walked alongside the others, as they moved southward to their destination.

As they moved, Takato wondered about the shadows once more, specifically whether they would encounter another of their kind at the factories. With the loss sustained on their end earlier, it seemed to him it could go either way. He looked over at Inari, who thankfully seemed to be doing well, before briefly glancing at Senya, his thoughts from earlier resurfacing. Now didn't seem like the time to talk though, minds set towards the mission. His mind wandered towards his master once more, as he considered a great many things, before returning to the shadows and the Abyssal Gate. If anyone was looking at Takato, they would've seen his pupils briefly dilate, as though he had been surprised by something, before slowly returning to normal.

Hudson looked down at his outfit as the mud from his fall faded into non-existence, a slight sneer on his face as his theory of the landscape being an illusion rang true. Unfortunately the pellet wounds on his body remained, as did the blood that seeped from them and into the fabric of his clothing. At least any mixing of mud and his blood would not prompt an infection, then. Seeing nothing in the distance the hunter reserved himself to quite the trek to get to their destination, and he cursed under his breath at their demon 'allies' for not providing them a more efficient means of transportation.

Seriphine appeared, like before, seemingly out of nowhere next to Hudson. Raising an eyebrow while cleaning one of her blades she nodded towards the injured man. "Hunter, allow the healer to aid you. There is no honor or glory in dying a slow death."

He held at his wound gently as he strode down the path, only turning to Seriphine several moments after offering her advice. "I'm not after honor or glory." Hudson said without turning to face the elf. "If the bird-man wants to heal me, so be it. I won't be allowing that filthy half-demon thing to do anything to me, though." If he was going to get help, he wasn't going to ask for it from any of the mission's members.

Seriphine shook her head. "You need to accept that not all of us intend to bicker with you. Ask the sorcerer for help or I will."

Looking at the distance briefly Seriphine lowered her gaze. "I would also like to ask you a question..."

"Do whatever you want. I've gotten by just fine with worse wounds than this. If I'm to die from them, well that hardly matters now does it?" he replied just as flatly as before. Yet the elf wanting to ask him a question prompted Hudson to raise his brow, finally turning his head toward Seriphine.

"What kind of question?"

Ignoring Hudson's stubborn remark (while also making a mental note to speak with Venextos) Seriphine looked at Hudson. "From what I can tell you seem to live in the realm which descended from my kin. I would like to know more about it."

The elf lowered her voice. "I fear the others would not tell me the entire unaltered truth which is something I need. Should we survive this mission I intend to return home- though I don't know what I would do. War is all I know."

It was a somewhat known fact that the Escarian families are descendants of the elves, though given the task of explaining how things are to one who has not been there for centuries was a pretty tall order. Hudson shrugged to show that he would not have all the details, but would try to offer some insight anyway. "It's called Escaria now. Elven language has had some changes in dialect to what they speak these days." he states.

"There are far more cities than the old days. Though villages and farms are still pretty common, vineyards and the like. All under a common crown now so there is no fighting taking place within its borders." Hudson continues. "But there's always going to be war. At home or abroad, or whatever cause you decide to dedicate yourself to. There's never a shortage of things that need fighting."

Venextos had spent some time in the air, the latter portion of his scouting accompanied by Takato before the two of them returned to the ground. The factories were not too far, but they would still need to exercise caution on the path ahead. The wizard returned to his normal form, causing a few raven feathers to fall off his cloak as he starting walking on his two feet again before continuing on. He thought about taking out his pipe to smoke as they moved, but they could nary afford the distraction nor the attention drawn by the smoke, and so he resigned to his thoughts as the group pressed on.

It would take the group several hours to traverse the grasslands, heading south towards the factories. The grasslands would turn to barren, rocky terrain as night fell and the factories came into view. Large, black demonic facilities loomed over the landscape, empty space the length of three Atracan city blocks separating the pair of factories. Railways lead in and out of large open archways, coming from and going to a large railway hub several hundreds of yards away. Smoke billowed from the stacks atop the factories, as demons wandered around the perimeter of the facilities, toting what appeared to be rifles and large machine guns. This would be rather difficult, but they had darkness on their side for now.

Though darkness covered these damned lands, the billowing smoke was still quite clear. Takato reminisced on how he noted the rise of industry in Adonia during his stay, seeing factory facilities in the distance and up-close, some with smoke and some without, always wondering what they might be making in those places. If these facilities are anything akin to those of the mortal coil, he'll soon find out. With the railways present, he could only assume whatever produced here was taken elsewhere by rail, an efficient system that is likely going to appeal to a certain someone.

The sight of firearmed demons worried the hermit, knowing that he likely cannot counter with magic as they'll be traveling under the shadows of night. If they are forced into combat, for most here, they'll be forced out of cover. Then he looked over at Hudson, and wondered what they were going to do about his maces. Surely someone's going to bring it up, no...?

Inari eyed the factories as they appeared. She had never seen such incredible industry. Even the largest workshops in Kowareta were often limited to a few ancient forges, manned by dozens working tirelessly to produce only what could pass through their hands. This was something else entirely. How many people were inside these buildings? Or like so many things she had seen briefly in Adonia, were the weapons made merely by other machines? She could make out a fair bit in the dark. The heavily armed demons and train yard indicated this place probably turned out more than a few rifles a day.

If she had only half of a single of these factories, she could outfit an entire army in no time at all. No need in scrounging up old weapons stored away, or quickly made spears. The rifles were even easier to use than the matchlocks and other varieties back home. Instead of peasants needing to train with bows, swords, and spears, even as easier as those could be, anyone with a rifle could put someone down. No need to be strong, or quick. Just aim right and pull the trigger.

"So, what is plan? Move quickly? Make distraction? I do not think dress up is option here, we too different."

Loque breaks the silence with a hushed question. "So... do we have a plan? I do not think I need to say how much charging is an awful idea."

Hudson's flickering flames on his person yet again made it obvious that remaining under the cover of dark. Though he still held at his wound he was not particularly concerned, sneering at the armed demons with malicious intent. The hunter soon glared at Takato when he felt the oni looking at him, and before he could even chastise him for doing so the others inquired about a plan.

"If any of you want to distract all those guns, be my guest." he muttered quietly. "Realistically it would be best to have someone do supporting fire as we move in, but I don't think we are properly outfitted for that."

Having noted Hudson's glare, and hearing his comments on a potential plan, Takato decided to speak up.

"Would it be not best to remain under the cover of dark?" Takato began, and before anyone could counter, "There must be some means through which our persons could become completely hidden, perhaps by illusion or some other magic."

Takato wasn't one to generate wonders using the shen he had cultivated, so his illusionary abilities were on the weaker side, not that he had much need for them in the first place. Still, in times like these, they could be handy.

"An illusion could work, but it would not last forever. We would have to be hasty with our movements as to not be caught in the open. I'd rather not be shot at in an open field should the illusion wear off accidentally." Venextos chimed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back