• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

It was quite hard for Leakhena to rest on the train even if it’s the only place anywhere in the Abyss she could truly relax. Taking baths, sleeping in her bed, and even eating and enjoying food she’s prepared for everyone didn’t do much of anything to ease her. The guilt of failing to prevent Senya’s death still weighs her down by the neck. She feels she could’ve stopped it, and she should’ve, but she failed to act in time. Now she blames herself for losing what’s probably the closest thing to an actual friend she’s had in centuries. She can hardly think of anyone else among them that she could call a friend either. Either she knows them too little, they have some sort of skeleton in their closet that really pushes her away, or worst yet and unfortunately the most common, she’s pushed them away with her less than savory personality. Vincent might be a nice man and all, but the knowledge he killed his wife left a bitter taste in her mouth. Seriphine’s too busy smothering Vincent with her lips and laughs. Takato probably despises her for how rude she was to him earlier. Hudson flat out hates her and wants her dead just for being a demon. Gwen is going down a dark path she refuses to follow her on. Henderson’s becoming more and more unpleasant much like his stench. As for the rest, she just doesn’t know them that well and probably won’t have time to. She feels alone now; not too much different than how she did way back when she still lived here. Going to Dis might just be the end of her, she feels. She’s just a lowly cook going up against the icons and the demon king himself. Though, if she is to die, then there’s one thing left on her list that she’d like to do before that happens.

“... Hey, Hudson.” she meekly greets, taking a seat next to him at the bar.

Hudson had just taken another shot of whiskey as Leakhena walked up, the empty glass gently hitting the table as he slightly grimaced as the alcohol stung on its way down. The hunter's first instinct had been to shoot off at the mouth for the lowly demon trying to make small talk with him, yet he noticed how something was off with her. She appeared to be nervous, even slightly dejected. For as morose and depressive as she would get she would always manage to muster up some anger for him, so what had changed? Hudson had nothing to lose for hearing her out this one time, he wagered.

"... What is it, demon?" he mutters back rather monotone, head turning to her slightly before he went back to staring a hole through the bar counter. This time he did not say the word 'demon' with an excessive amount of hate behind it. It was spoken as a matter of fact, a simple title that just identified what she was rather than an insult.

"... What is it, demon?"
Leakhena anxiously looks between him and the rest of the bar until she speaks again. "Is it alright if we talk? I know I've done much to get you furious at me, and with good reason, but I... well..." A bottle of scotch is taken as she leans over the counter to reach it, and it's poured into a glass which she quickly downs to calm her nerves a little.

"... I just don't think I have much longer left."

Hudson cannot help but raise his eyebrow and turn his head at her with that response. It wasn't an unreasonable request yet if she were to just say depressive non sequiturs for an hour or more he was hesitant to entertain her. Then again he has more or less been saying such things for nearly the entirety of the mission so perhaps listening to her do it could be the least he could do.

"Huh... Well I don't have terribly much else to do right now so, yes. Let's talk." the hunter replied. Not much longer left? Didn't seem like anyone here did, but he would sooner die than condemn himself to damnation at this point.

"Huh... Well I don't have terribly much else to do right now so, yes. Let's talk."
Hudson's decision to actually listen to her talk takes Leakhena by surprise. She thought he'd tell her off, to get out of his face, call her an 'abyssal freak from the depths' or whatever slang term the Order uses these days, but not actually sit and listen to her woes. Her eyes widen in shock and she even makes a little gasp, and another drink goes down before she's able to do it again.

"I don't want to hate you, Hudson. Not anymore. Not when I'm trying to get my life back together." Yet another glass goes down. "I guess I just want to apologize... for everything, even if it won't be enough."

His fingers idly tapped against the bar with his index and middle finger, not quite nervous but a little skeptical over Leakhena's words. "You sound like you're only trying to get your life together now that you think it's over." Hudson replies. "For as much shit as I give you for the people you no doubt gruesomely killed, I know what that's like. There was a time where I wanted to atone, get everything in order and die with a grim conscience made slightly more clear from the shit I willingly put myself in." The hunter shakes his head from side to side somewhat solemnly.

"Apologies do no good, especially for the dead. Less so for the dead you made yourself. I don't know what you plan to do next, but don't treat these next few days like they'll be your last. You want me to stop hating you? Focus more on living right instead of dying right."

"Apologies do no good, especially for the dead. Less so for the dead you made yourself. I don't know what you plan to do next, but don't treat these next few days like they'll be your last. You want me to stop hating you? Focus more on living right instead of dying right."
"Believe me, Hudson. I want to. I really want to. I've been wanting to ever since I went back home and saw how I used to live... But it's that fear, you know? That feeling you know you just won't be able to ever again. I think you know already how that feels."

Carefully yet anxiously, she examines her glass before finally putting it down. More alcohol isn't going to make her feel better, but finally opening up and burying the hatchet just might.

"Oh, fuck it. I-I had a lot of chances, you know? I had every opportunity to just stop... but I never did until now. I came to the mortal realm to start a new life. I wanted so much to get away from what the Abyss had done to me. But I fucked that up not even a year in. I had money, lots of money. I could've donated it to charity or opened up an orphanage, but all I did was spend it on liquor and morphine. I could've made an honest living working on a farm like I used to, but I chose to kill and steal for my money. I had people asking for my hand, and all I did was bite theirs off. I even had a son, Hudson. I had a SON... but I gave him away before I-I e-even n-n-named him..." Her eyes begin to glisten, and if Hudson looks close enough, for just a moment he could've caught a glimpse of a younger Leakhena before the madness from all the suffering set in.

"I lived a long life, Hudson. Long enough to live like a beggar, long enough to live like one of the rich elite, but not long enough to feel like I've done the right thing. So I can't help but feel that way."

"To be honest," Mariette replied, still focused on the passing scenery beyond the glass, "it listens more than it talks. It's irritating. It doesn't seem to have any desires or goals of its own, aside to persist and serve me. But every longing I have, it senses, and tries to console me- my home, my wine... my love... It keeps reminding me that I can have luxuries in the Abyss that rival my past life." She finally turned to look at Cassandra, again revealing the gleaming silver and deep crimson pearls embedded in the flesh of her cheek. "I had a nightmare, you know, when I realized that this costume had a mind of its own. I remembered all the terrible things that happened before the end, and then all the tortures of the last thirty years, all at once, and it occurred to me how truly self-destructive I have been.

"I want to live again," she said, a hint of a smile at the corners of her mouth. "Velin has proved so elegantly the uselessness of caring about the mortal judgement of souls. She cares so little for right and wrong, I am half-sure that she does not remember I exist. So... that being said, the only one seeking my pain and suffering has been me, ever since we arrived. But while I am free and will remain free until my mort définitive, I really do wonder whether it could be true... Whether life could be more fun in this realm." There was a flicker of gold in Mariette's eyes as the smile on her lips briefly revealed itself, but then subsided. "Have you considered it, ma chérie? In the mortal realm, they will never truly forget, but here, it doesn't matter."

Hudson could only nod his head along for a moment, though he seemed to grow silent for a time. To him Leakhena was right, she was an awful being with cursed blood and likely to keep causing suffering for as long as she lived. Yet at the same time he realized that despite their differences they were still to end up in the same place more than likely. What sense did he have in beating her down further? Especially if she were on the verge of tears for abandoning a son of hers.

After a few moments he sighed, removing his glancing gaze from her as he looked to the alcohol assembled on the shelf before him. "Demons do live long lives, yeah." was all the hunter said at first. "Most I've seen fill them with hatred. Grudges, vendettas, evil desires to corrupt and ruin innocent lives. Never a single ounce of regret for what they've done or will continue doing."

"If you do regret all you've done - start filling your life with good things to be proud of. Regret comes from empathy, and if you at least have empathy there's still hope for you." If she were capable of feeling such things that is. Hudson's used to killing demons, not giving them pep talks.

Last edited:
As Valeria approached Jakob's cabin, she could hear from it a familiar tune. It was an harmonica song, the same that Jakob always played back in those days in the Inqusition. Inside the cabin, Jakob was sitting on the bed, his eyes closed. Envisioning Red Gorge and his family as he played his mothers harmonica. These thoughts helped boost Jakob's mood. It calmed him and reminded him that he had to leave this accursed place with his friends. He stopped playing for a moment when he heard knocking on his door. "If that's you, Hudson, got no more whiskey with me. Can you get a bottle from the bar?" But when the door slowly opened and revealed Valeria, Jakob slowly got off the bed, looking at her a bit surprised before giving her a smile. "...How's it going, boss?"

"If you do regret all you've done - start filling your life with good things to be proud of. Regret comes from empathy, and if you at least have empathy there's still hope for you."
"I guess that's a good place to start." Leakhena replies flatly. "Gods know I have plenty of regrets..." And she does, but he's right. There's no point on mulling over mistakes and regrets and letting them torment you further instead of learning from them. Otherwise, she'll keep going downwards on this cycle until it actually does kill her. Though these words coming from Hudson of all people don't get by her without notice. A barely noticeable smile forms on her face before vanishing just as quick as it appeared.

"But I'll try. I promise you, for my sake, I'll try." Finally she starts drinking again, and downs whatever's left in the bottle, then slowly nodding to herself the more she's coming to terms with what she's learning here. "You know, you're not as awful as the rest think you are... and I'm sorry I thought the absolute worst of you initially. I mean, you're abrasive, aggressive, maybe... but I think it's obvious why." She lifts a finger in the air and rotates it around; gesturing to their surroundings with it. "So what'll you be doing when this is over?"

Having tended to himself when they boarded the train, Takato went through his usual sleeping procedure, as to gain some rest after the eventful day that preceded this one. From meeting a living legend, and those most important to him in his family, and obtaining legendary equipment, to the loss of Senya and the retreat of an ever present enemy, it was... tiring, at least. However, as he set himself up and rested, he was once more faced with something he hadn't anticipated... he dreamed once more.

---

He awoke on his firm bed, as he observed his surroundings. Once more, he had found himself once more under his master's roof, though unlike the last two times, he was neither a child nor revisiting that tragic moment from years ago. The fact his mind was still so restless that he dreamt was a problem, but he worried that this may not have been the cause of a foreign entity this time. He got off of his bed, observing that it was night time as per the last two times. He was conscious of his surroundings, but he knew not if this was a memory or a nightmare, so he did the only thing he could - find if his master was resting.

Opening the door to his room, he stepped into the hallway, though trying to be as still as possible, not wanting to ruin the peace of the night. He made his way down the hallway to where his master rested, and found its door slightly open. Peeking inside, he was surprised to find he was missing. He contemplated if this was a memory after his master's passing, before noting that the bed wasn't done. He kept the serenity of the room as best as he could following his passing, so there was only one answer, compounded when a noise echoed from downstairs.

Carefully, he headed downstairs and found that the door leading to the daytime quarters were open. Peeking inside, he found his master, sitting and looking at... something. His back was turned, so he could not see what it was he was looking at. He attempted to approach him, but as quickly as he had tried;

"[Takato]," Master Shan said simply, causing Takato to freeze in place, "[I see you're awake at this hour too.]"

"[Y-yes, master.]"

His master turned to face him, with a downcast expression: "[...I'm glad to see you,]" he said, mustering a soft smile through his mood.

Before Takato could respond, his master waved him over. Deciding to obliged, he approached, and found that his master was looking at illustrations and texts.

"[...I'm just reminiscing on those that came before you...]" his master remarked.

"[T-those before me?]"

"[...haha, yes. I've mentioned to you before that I've had many pupils before you, see here]," he said, raising one illustration up. Though it wasn't as detailed as others he had seen elsewhere, it was clear what it depicted: someone who appeared to be his master and several others close to his height.

"[My pupils ranged from so many... from the closest of familial bonds, to the most distant to this northern half of the continent. These were some of my earliest,]" he revealed.

"[...where are they now?]" Takato simply responded, prompting his master's downcast expression to worsen.

"[...brought up to the sun by the Blackbird of Destiny]," he responded simply.

Hearing that, Takato finally realized what this dream was - it was a combination of encounters he had had with his master. He doesn't recall ever having experienced this specific event, but everything here he had learned over decades of living with his master, whether in whispers or off-hand remarks.

His master smiled at him: "[So, you realized.]"

Takato was caught off-guard by that response, as his master put his things back. Soon, he stood up and face his pupil: "[...your mother, she remarked that I must've had my own troubles too, no?]"

Takato could muster only a simple "[y-yes...]" in surprise as his master continued:

"[...no hermit is perfect, Takato. None of us can truly achieve perfection. And yet, we don't let that stop us. We strive to get as close as we can, despite whatever may drag us down. We achieve immortality to allow us to achieve this goal, and for that, we too must face the consequences. I've said something like this to you before, right?]"

"[...y-you did.]"

"[...even I have my regrets, thoughts that have held me back for so long. To wish to emulate me is to head towards those flaws as well. That's why we must all strive our own way, for only we can achieve that... which is why I'm glad I had you,]" he said, as he approached and hugged his pupil.

"[...of all my pupils, you were the only one to succeed. As I taught you what you would need as a hermit, you taught me about myself... my past failures, though never rectified, could at least be forgiven through you. And so, I would pass on with no regrets in this life of mine, for I had done all that I could, and too raised a kind soul to take my place...]"

An echo of his master's final words... all of these were pastiche of things his master has said at one point or another, strung together to reveal a truth that he had known, but had avoided to confront... to protect a memory corrupted the moment he died.

Takato realized his master would've never wanted to be remembered like so... he would've wanted to be remembered as a man who strived to do what he could, but was still human. Though he struggled briefly against the hug, he embraced this image of his master. Though a thought emerged as he finished speaking... was it his own subconscious to bring this about? Though he knew all this in the back of his mind, given what had happened earlier, he would've thought another would've appeared. But as he thought, he realized something... his master's aura felt unlike anything he had felt from his before... though he could feel some of him, it felt like... like...

"[...haha]," his master released his hug, looking at his pupil straight on, "[it seems our time is up. The worst is yet to come, young one, but neither has the best. Your potential remains great, to be as close to the Dou as you can. Let nothing steer you from it. Don't keep the others waiting.]"

"[O-others?]"

[Your compatriots. Your journey is not over yet, Xiaòzhou.]"

---

Takato awoke, feeling sweat pour down his forehead. He could feel the train's movements as they headed further into the Heartlands. Looking outward from his cabin's window, he could see how well maintained these parts were, almost reminiscent of the mortal coil. They'd be arriving soon, it seemed. He'd have to prepare his things, freshen up a bit more, and follow his morning routine.

As he approached his carrying vessel to pack his sleeping pillow, he found himself noting the aura emanating from the staff and robe of Zazriel once more... he shook his head. He finished up his business and headed for the bar, knowing the others will probably be there.

Venextos, after struggling to get up from his own cot in his still weakened state, managed to shuffle over to the bar where Hudson and Leakhana were and motioned for some brandy to Kat. A rather large glass was poured and he found himself quickly downing the drink to soothe the pain that wracked his body after the strenuous use of his artifact, which he left behind in his cabin. He was rather quiet before looking up from under his hood towards Kat and spoke up: "What's it like... being a demon?" he asked both out of caution and curiosity to the succubus. If there was a non-zero chance he would turn, he would like to at least know what such a fate would be like.

"...How's it going, boss?"

Valeria smiled slightly, before shaking her head. "...Y-You don't have to call me that anymore, Jakob. Vincent is the lead inquisitor here..." she said in response. She looked to the floor, almost as if she was lost and didn't know what to do. Here was one of her friends from back on Grimtham, and all she could think about was how she had wronged him. How Sazak forced her to wrong him. Forcing her to go to his house...meet his wife and daughter...and then plant the cancer that killed his wife with a simple touch. And it all could have been prevented by just saying no when Sazak had first appeared to her.

"...I-I..." she said, her voice wavering as she continued staring down at the carpet. She was struggling. "...I-I'm sorry, Jake...I should have said no, and just let him k-kill me back in that swamp." She had stammered the statement out, her hands moving up to hold her arms.

------
"Have you considered it, ma chérie? In the mortal realm, they will never truly forget, but here, it doesn't matter."

Cassandra found herself staring at Mariette, gazing more at the strange bits of armor and jewels adorning her face. "...I have, my love...I've been forced to consider it over and over again, because of that thing you're wearing." she said softly. As she glanced to the window once more, in the reflection was a far different version of herself. Younger, with longer hair and a dress caked in blood. Red, piercing eyes staring back at her. She didn't react like she had before, but this worried her far more than it had been.

"...But this place...as fun as it may seem..." she continued after a moment, "...It just isn't for us. It's the Abyss. A place for punishment and torment...We both know this, since we just spent thirty long years here." She reached over and took Mariette's free hand. "...We belong back in the mortal realm. Not down here." she said in a near whisper, as she gently ran her fingers along Mariette's. The worry in Cassandra's voice was audible now.

------
"What's it like... being a demon?"

Kat glanced to Venextos, cocking an eyebrow. "...Well, it depends on who you ask. Life is a little different for the multitudes of variations of demonkind..." she replied, "...But for your average fleshy or stoneskin demon...its a lot like trying to survive in the wilds as a human. Every day down here is a fight for survival, and you're trying to get ahead of the other demons around you by various means."

She shrugged. "It was a little different before Taranoch, with everyone playing their proper roles in society...but Tatanoch taking the throne threw that out a window."

Venextos listened as Kat gave her explanation before chuckling. "...given my current state, I may very well soon join you on that front." he simply stated as he took another swig of brandy for his parched throat. "Maybe I won't have to worry about being a disfigured husk kept barely alive by the spells flowing through my head on that front. But I do cherish my freedom on being able to walk in the mortal world... I miss being in my study, and in teaching starry-eyed pupils the mystic arts." He pondered such a fate for a moment before shaking his head: "Of course, there are benefits and disadvantages to anything. C'est la vie, oui?"

He gave a few nods of recognition to Leakhena after she went about with her promise, though his expression sunk at the mention of him being "not as awful as everyone says he is". "Yeah, well at the very least I'm among folk deserving of awfulness. For the most part." Hudson reasoned before he gave a dismissive wave of his hand. "As for why? Well, that's a bit of a depressing story that you probably don't need to hear." She was broken up about giving up a kid she hadn't named, he didn't think that Leakhena would care to listen about how he shot a child in cold blood after he mistakably killed his mother - or how he had to beat his corrupted infant son to death.

"Survive my wife." he answered with a chuckle. "I don't think she'll be all that happy to see me, considering how she really wanted me not to come here. Maybe I shouldn't have... But there's no changing that now."

At Cassandra's touch, Mariette underwent a grounding, imperceptible change, to return to the woman Cass had known before. Her eyes held no flecks of gold and returned to the deep and troubled pools of red they had been before. "Yes. I know," she said in a serious tone. It was as if she had been only daydreaming, before. "Only the truly malign could really enjoy life here, while totally surrounded by the pain of others. I need to remember that... But, to escape into the world we knew before, I would need to escape this armor. You may need to help me with that, if I am forced to choose. And, if we are somehow successful, and I return to La Cygne one day, then I shall have you -and others- to ensure that my mind remains intact. I cannot be who I was before death, and neither can you."

Her words, having come fast and with a sort of icy precision, were followed by a softer and more carful expression: "Whatever happens, we will protect each other. Above everything else, we have to protect each other," she repeated emphatically.

"I don't think she'll be all that happy to see me, considering how she really wanted me not to come here. Maybe I shouldn't have... But there's no changing that now."
"Well, it's good you did regardless. You had not just the stones but the will to come down here to make a difference not just in your world, but mine too. That's definitely something you ought to take pride in since there's not many people who can."

For all of the group's faults, that's something she has to admit. For a hastily put together band of unstable people, they've done one hell of a job striking back at Taranoch and crippling his hold on the Abyss.

"You're a good man and a hero for helping to save two worlds, Hudson. Don't forget that no matter how 'deserving of awfulness' you think you are."

"Hah, well I'm not about to start sucking my own cock over this." Hudson states bluntly with only the slightest laugh. "I was fully intent on dying here, but I'm not going to be able to do much of anything that way. Nice of you to say such, at least." It was odd to have her being so nice to him at this moment, though he wasn't being too terrible either. Maybe they were about to be shipped off to their deaths at this point if this kind of thing was actually happening right now. Even then, that hardly mattered.

"Make no mistake, Loque. I hate your kind with a burning passion. Though now that I think of it you've been in the shit with us. Knee deep in it. I've seen you sulking in the corners as you break and break again. You're not like Tariun where you proclaim to know more or think you're doing good just on intent alone, you're putting your life on the line to make a difference. I don't have to like you, I don't have to trust you, but..." More hypotheticals as he chose his words carefully, he wasn't explicitly saying he didn't like or trust her either. Maybe he was keeping up appearances for the other demons that were still on the train?

"I can at least respect you and what you're trying to do. So long as you stick to the right path this time, at least." the hunter concludes.

Jakob remained quiet for a bit, thinking on what he could say to her. He knew exactly why she was saying that: the guilt was eating her. "Ma'am..." he said with a soft tone, "...What's done is done." He looked away towards the window, staring at the strange landscape, thinking what to say next. "...You did not have control of the situation, and you did what you thought was best at the time..." He looked back at Val, still holding a smile. "What matters now is to get you out of here as soon as we get those stupid trinkets... After that, I'll not set foot in this place ever again unless another friend gets sent down here by a psychopath in armor."

"I can at least respect you and what you're trying to do. So long as you stick to the right path this time, at least."
Leakhena lets out a little laugh; one of genuine good spirit, but also at utter surprise at how well this conversation has been so far. She figures that if someone had told her months ago that she'd be having a pleasant talk with the same man that nearly killed her within seconds of them meeting her for the first time, she would've had their liver over some nicely cooked beans and a glass of wine. But this is something she isn't going to take for granted. She wanted to make her peace with Hudson, and so far she has, but also learned something important in the process: though they're diametrically opposed to one another, they're still somehow in the same boat. They're both the same remorseful wreck breaking themselves apart over past regrets and failures. Though maybe, just maybe they can help each other out of it by overcoming whatever left the Abyss has to throw at them.

"Oh, I'll be praying to the gods that I will." she smiles back. The bottle she'd been drinking out of is pushed aside out of her field of view too. "Maybe not hitting the alcohol so much is a good first step, right?" she jokes, until her face carries a serious expression. "Well, I'll leave you alone now... but I want to make one more promise to you." She gets out of her seat but gently puts a hand on one of Hudson's shoulders. "If you aren't able to make it out in time, or find yourself back here again, come and find me and I'll help you. It's not the end if you become one of us, but after talking to you, I'd hate to see you suffer like so many are here. I'm... happy, very happy and relieved we could finally bury the hatchet between us, and I just hope you know now that there's at least one demon in the Abyss that doesn't hate you."

Finally, she lets go of him and walks back to her cabin; looking far more upbeat than she did a moment ago.

"Of course, there are benefits and disadvantages to anything. C'est la vie, oui?"

Kat nodded. "Of course." she replied, "You wouldn't really age much at all, and would be immune to most disease. Able to channel magic far more easily than mortals...but you would never be able to return to the Mortal Realm unless you procure a vessel. Or until Taranoch somehow breaks the binding, and even then, you'd only be able to stay in the Mortal Realm for a limited time before having to return to the Abyss...but hey, several trips doesn't hurt."

------
"What matters now is to get you out of here as soon as we get those stupid trinkets... After that, I'll not set foot in this place ever again unless another friend gets sent down here by a psychopath in armor."

"...I'm...I-I'm surprised Lady Velin even bothered sending anyone...with what I did." she said softly, eventually looking up at Jakob again. And who knows...whenever she died again in the Mortal Realm, she may be sent right back down here for what she did. "...I hope to never see this place again." she stated, glancing to the window in the cabin. After a few moments, she stepped over and gave Jakob a hug. "...I-I shall speak with this...Cassiel...once we're back in the Mortal Realm...I don't know exactly how he'll help...but..." she stated, soon releasing him and looking back up to his face. "...Thank you...for coming to save me."

She gave him a smile afterwards. A rare thing from Valeria. "...W-Well, I'm going to go speak to Mariette...and Cassandra...That's...a pairing I never thought I'd see." she said softly, before quietly turning about and heading to the door. She gave Jakob one last glance, and a faint smile, before stepping through and shutting the door behind her.

------
"Whatever happens, we will protect each other. Above everything else, we have to protect each other."

Cassandra smiled, and nodded. "Absolutely." she replied. There was hope. And at the moment, it was something she was in dire need of. She glanced back to see her reflection in the glass of the window, and saw that it hadn't changed. Still the piercing red eyes, staring back at her. Her smile faded slightly, but before she could say something to attempt to brighten the conversation, she heard incoming footsteps.

Looking about, she noticed it was Valeria. "Ah, Witlock...You're looking better!" she said, "...Well, physically at least."

"I wonder what Hayley or Jonah would think of me if they saw me as a demon." Venextos remarked jokingly before raising his glass to Kat. "To exploring unknown frontiers then." he then spoke in a half-hearted toast before downing the rest of his drink. "Speaking of... what's the news going around right now? Considering we're heading straight for Taranoch's domain, I'd like to be up to speed."

Seeing Leakhena depart from the bar, Takato noted how she seemed more upbeat. He wasn't sure what had occurred, but he was glad to see it nonetheless. Stepping into the bar, he made his way over to where Venextos, Kat, and Hudson were, just casually checking what was up.

Knowing that Valeria had seen the way she had acted while fighting Kellea, Mariette shrank into her seat a bit at the former Inquisitor's approach. "Ah, ahem. Mademoiselle," she simply said before gesturing to the empty seat on the third side of the table, across from the window. Valeria sat down quietly and cautiously as Mariette cleared her throat. "...I suppose it's quite a shock that Cassandra is with us, and the rest as well. I would have never expected it, either, but you see, she is a very different woman than the one we met in Grimtham. Her memory and sanity has been restored, and before we each made our escape, the two of us were bound together during these thirty years of damnation. I've not been so intimate with another since I was human," she explained.

As plainly as the words came to her, they also seemed incomplete. How could she reconcile her fondness for Cassandra with the latter's history? Surely, Valeria would take issue with Cassandra's trail of destruction of murder. Surely, an Inquisitor wouldn't forget her purpose, even after decades of torment. Mariette almost wanted her to object to their love, as it would prove that Val hadn't been completely broken by Sazak's cruelty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back