• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
A year and a half after the Grimtham incident, and a few days after the Farewell Massacre...

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME? I WANT EVERY. SINGLE. CREATURE THAT WAS AT THAT THEATER FOUND AND EXECUTED ON THE SPOT. NO ARRESTS, NO TRIALS, NOTHING! I WANT THEIR HEADS ROLLING ACROSS THE FUCKING GROUND, AND THEIR BODIES PUT ON FUCKING SPIKES TO BURN IN THE SUN." spat Velin, electricity shooting off her armor and hitting the white tile on the floor beneath her. She pointed directly to Armstrong, whom was taken aback as the electricity flowing off her was shattering the tiles beneath her. "AND IF ANYONE GETS IN YOUR WAY, BRING THEM TO ME. I'LL KILL THEM MYSELF." she added. Cassiel stood nearby, utterly silent as always. He missed his days walking with Adona in heaven. Adona was a far more peaceful god. More understanding and caring. Velin was a spite filled creature with a short temper, but he couldn't voice his opposition to her demands. Lest he be struck down.

Armstrong quickly saluted Velin. "Yes, Lady Velin." he said, before spinning about and storming out of the room. Once he was gone, Velin snapped about, hurling her bastard sword point first into one of the stone pillars in the corner of the room. It embedded itself into the stone, sending cracks spider-webbing across the pillar. "The cockroaches can't die fast enough." she said, marching back over to the desk and pressing her palms down onto the wood. Cassiel allowed her to cool off for a few moments, before speaking again. "My lady...the hybrid arrived earlier, whilst you were speaking with Sir Armstrong. Your children of the Order imprisoned her in the cathedral basement, as per your request."

Velin straightened up, and spoke without looking his way. "...Silver chains, like I instructed?" she asked. "Yes, my lady. She has been chained down. She cannot move...but she's certainly vocal." Velin glanced towards him. She had heard about a werewolf and vampire hybrid, which had been fighting the Daristeinian military for several months. This had apparently gone on during the incident on Grimtham Isle as well, drawing Church forces away to deal with this hybrid threat. Supposedly, the military managed to capture this creature alive with the assistance of the Alchemist Union. Once she had assumed control of the Church and the Order, she requested that the creature be handed over to the Church to be dealt with. After extensive talks and work to move her for the past several weeks, the creature had finally arrived.

Velin eventually nodded, before turning towards the door. "Good. I think I'll go see her now." Cassiel nodded. "I'll lead you to her, my lady." And lead he did. Down through the cathedral, past where several of the citizenry of Eternis were praying. Velin paused briefly, offering blessings to those that requested. She even squatted down and spoke to a young girl, awestruck by the tall goddess. Cassiel watched Velin as she moved about. It was a rare side of Velin to see. Calm and caring. She had feelings other than rage, it seemed. Undite had seen this quite often, when they traveled together, and pushed for Velin to be more compassionate and forgiving daily. Not just for small moments such as this. Sadly, Velin failed at every attempt. She always reverted back to her angry, hateful ways.

Soon, they ventured down the steps at the back of the cathedral into the subterranean levels. The church scholars and scientists often resided down on these floors, recording and experimenting. There was also a floor dedicated to the Order, which she often checked on to see how her children were progressing in their training and studies. The lower floors were for storage...as well as keeping things locked away from the public. She knew of one creature that lived down here already. One 'Mr. Henderson'. An abomination in her eyes, but the church scientists swore to her that he had his uses. She failed to see that, but ultimately trusted their judgement. He would be put to use in the future, and if he did not perform to her liking, he would be executed.

Down several rooms from where 'Mr. Henderson' resided, the pair could hear angry yelling as well as the jingling of chains. The yelling was in Daristeinian, which seemed to be filled with a variety of insults. Of course it would be. She was a barbarian warlord. They continued on till they arrived at the cell door. And the yelling stopped. As Cassiel took the keys for the door off the wall nearby, Velin heard the woman inside speak. This time in Atracan. "I hope you brought food. I'm starving." Velin grunted, as Cassiel unlocked the door and opened it. "No, hybrid. I did not. You will be fed in time, however."

At the center of the room, bathed in the torchlight around her, was a tall, muscular woman wrapped in silver chains. Her arms were bound above her head, chained to two different spots on the ceiling, while her legs were chained to the floor. She also had a chain wrapped around her waist, which was also chained to the floor, while a silver collar was wrapped around her neck and attached to the wall behind her. Velin could see the woman's bright red eyes through the darkness, even without the dim torchlight.

"Riberta von Blutrausch." said Velin. Riberta smiled, her fangs flashing. "Velin." replied the warlord. Velin grunted. "That's Lady Ve--" she managed to get out, before Riberta interrupted her. "Cut the shit. You're just Velin to me." Velin fumed for a few moments, before speaking again. "Why is it that no one shows me the proper respect? I am a Goddess. The Goddess of Judgement. I have earned the right to be spoken to with some semblance of respect. If not respect, then fear." Riberta tilted her head, eyeing the divine knight. "...Because you're a pompous bitch that hasn't really earned it. That's why. At least, in my eyes...though I'm sure others think the same." Riberta then grinned. "You didn't achieve godhood. You had it shoved on you. And its turned you into the egotistical prima donna you are now."

Riberta shifted a bit, her chains jingling a bit more. "And if you want people to fear you...stop acting like a spoiled child and do something worthy of being feared." Velin went silent for a few moments, before a faint chuckle escaped from her. "...Now I know what the Daristeinians were talking about." she then said. Riberta frowned, as Velin continued. "Sazak cursed you. You wanted power, you got power, but you had to fight endlessly till the end of time. Or at least till you were killed." Velin moved closer, stopping just a few feet from Riberta. "...So you're trying to pick a fight with me. Don't worry, you won't have to. I'm going to kill you anyway. Your execution happens once I gain control of things upstairs."

Riberta didn't say anything else, glaring into Velin's helmet. Velin soon backed away, turning about. "I'll be seeing you soon, Riberta. I promise." she said, exiting the cell with Cassiel right behind her. The door locked, and soon, Riberta was alone again. And she wasn't yelling anymore.

"You're wasting your time, inquisitor." The man said while looking over the texts on his desk. He wondered where today's student even get these ideas. Do they even bother opening the books? "As I said several times already, I have not had contact with Aleister Germain ever since the incident. In fact, we were not on the friendliest terms for most of it. If I had any information on him, I would have given it days ago when you first came here." He raised his gaze from the text to look at the young inquisitor that was sitting opposite to him. This was clearly her first 'big' task and already over her head at that. Trying to hunt down what is being circulated in the news as a 'vampire murder cult'. Similar to Valeria. He wondered if that was intentional. That they send someone similar to her in an attempt to tug on his heartstrings given his regretful report on his fellow inquisitor's fate. Wouldn't put it past them. Emotions are a tool that can be used during information gathering just as any other tool.

"Monsieur Boivin, there has to be something you can provide that can help capturing him." She pleaded. Getting desperate rather quick. Much to learn in such a turbulent time.

"As I said the other day. He's emotional, unpredictable and hypocritical about matters of the gods...or was at least." Theodore leaned back in his chair "This is a very different man doing these thing. Like many of the tomes in my office, my information is outdated and useless to you. I'm sorry inquisitor. I wish I could help you."

"Very well." She sighed and got up from her seat "I still thank you for your help monsieur Boivin. But before I go can I ask you a question?"

"Hm?"

"Why did you leave the order?"

"Ask yourself why others chose to stay instead." He waved her off. Watching her leave, he realized that either her or her superior would be coming by again and again for who knows how long to try and extract information from him. Truth was that even if he knew anything about Aleister, he wasn't sure if giving it to the Order currently would benefit anyone. The tensions between humanity and the creatures of the night grew larger and larger by the day. The sudden appearance of races thought dead only served to increase confusion among the populace. It was only a matter of time something broke and plunged the wold into chaos again.

He inspected his mail after spending some time in thought over the predicament. No point in wasting time with empty thinking if he couldn't do anything about it. The mail was everything he was used to seeing. Invitations to events, insulted students giving empty threats and...a letter from Jacob? He broke the seal and read through the contents. Grabbing a pen he began to write his response.

Jacob, I would like to start by offering my apologies that I didn't write to you sooner and to offer my condolences for your loss. As a fellow widower, I can only offer the advice to hold on to the happy memories you spend together and to not think of the end too much. As hard as it it, you're a strong enough man in character and willpower that I believe you will overcome this if you haven't already.

As for your questions. I have to confirm that yes, Valeria was possessed by Sazzak and that he now roams the world in hr body committing Adona knows what deeds. We failed to kill him. His curse already affected me. I'll spare you the details in this letter, but I assure you, the vile spawn only spurred me on to find ways for it to end it. I haven't been in contact with the others I'm afraid. Only hearing rumors at best of their fates. What happened to Marriete was regrettable and I wish we were better to prevent it.

I wish you and your organization the best of luck in these turbulent times. I look forward to I'm going to give your organization a ace in the hole. Th Order is where I build and perfected my work, but it does not own it. Everything I made belongs to me and is in my head. And now will be at your disposal.

Above all else, Jacob. Do not trust the word of those who blindly submit and do the bidding of Velin!

Theodore sealed the letter and had it set to be delivered as soon as possible. Next on the agenda was handing in another resignation as university staff. The only thing left for him to do now was to prepare for a long road ahead. The world was on the verge of chaos and those who should step in weren't doing it. Once again, the burden to fix things fell on the common people. The end of his next journey would be Redgorge. After that, whatever fate decides.
---
He had heard the heavy armored boots coming down the stairs and the rest of his senses had lid up once he realized who it was. Was she actually coming here to finish them off? Had the armored whore decided that enough was enough and that the basement needed a good scrubbing? He hoped that she would start with the screaming animal down the hall first. Would buy him a few seconds of peace before the end.

Henderson observed the goddess as she passed by his cell. Even in this darkness she was radiating with intensity. He had to admit, he was impressed. Must have been one of the advantages of being divine. Even your farts would be a blessing to mortals. Leaning against the wall, the giant listened to the conversation intently. A smile creeping on his face when he realized that there was a plan being hatched by the Order. Hearing her come by again, he moved closer to the bars. Arms crossed behind him and his chest slightly puffed out, he spoke to get her attention.

"My my. You must really be of divine nature that you managed to not only make that thing shut up, but also speak coherently for more than 5 words at a time. Thoroughly impressive."

"My my. You must really be of divine nature that you managed to not only make that thing shut up, but also speak coherently for more than 5 words at a time. Thoroughly impressive."

Velin paused, glancing to the door which Henderson stood behind. "...She clearly wants someone to kill her. I'll oblige." said Velin, as she turned to face the door. "As for you...the others upstairs believe you may be of use to me soon enough. I wanted to come down here and kill you, but they talked me out of it." She folded her arms.

---
It would be around a week before Jakob would receive a letter back from Rosanna. Though it wasn't Rosanna that wrote back. It turned out that the writer was actually Rosanna's nephew, Elijah McFadden.

Dear Jakob Phillomon,

I'm sorry to write to you to say that Aunt Rose hasn't returned to Skull Creek. We haven't heard anything from her since she first set off for Grimtham Isle a year and a half ago, and we just don't know where else she could have gone. Its not like her to stay away for such a long time without a letter or something to show she's alright. If you do happen to get into contact with her, please write to me again.

Elijah McFadden

"You have a letter, Archbishop."

Aleister found that he couldn't stop the bulk of the society from calling him that anymore, and he still hadn't been able to pinpoint why it made him so uncomfortable. Or perhaps he did know and simply wished to ignore it. Regardless, he took the letter and opened it carefully, somewhat surprised to see that he had received something from Jakob. At least it hadn't been lost in transit, as they often changed post stations and drop points so that they couldn't be easily found or tracked. And that was already a two and sometimes three deep system where the mail would travel place to place before coming to him or other Night Choir members.

He read it over and found himself sighing slightly, feeling deflated once again. So he had lost his wife. Had he known, he would have said something in his earlier letter, but given the events of the past almost two years it had been difficult to keep track of everyone. Given that Velin and her lackeys wanted his hide as a fine leather rug, he'd been forced to skip more social events than he wished to.

It was nice Jakob had found work with his own detective agency, though as he thought it over, he wondered about the implications. He did that often when considering Escarian operations and a certain someone who was likely out there.

"Alexis? What do you think of this little agency. These lines here." Aleister held the letter over to a vampire in simple slacks and necktie, the attire more befitting a bank teller than anything else. Alexis von Kolmar had been a society member outside the church, and a scholar from Daristein. He was rather brilliant in certain subjects, and more applicably, strategy.

"Hmm... Bumping elbows is a possibility, I suppose. Any investigative committee... or armed group... will likely cross our path at some point, to differing degrees. We have a rather expansive sphere, especially since we're been talking with the unions. I'm still amazed we managed a people's take over of that mine, as small as it was. All that machinery will do well in Nocturne. Even if this Redgorge agency sticks to roughing up labor protests, we'd see that, too."

Aleister didn't think Jakob would stoop to being a picket breaker, but regardless, any confrontation was what he had been worried about. He didn't want to even see any of Jakob's people, let alone the man, lest there was a risk of violence between the parties. The fight for freedom and to get people out of the continent was not one easily understood by those who didn't submerge themselves in the movement. He did warn the man to leave while he still could. He was welcome in Nocturne, yet he chose to stay here. That may not last forever.

He took up a quill and some paper and wrote back.

---

Dear Jakob,

I cannot express how terribly I feel for your wife's passing, and I do regret not having learned of this earlier by my own accord and paying the proper respects. I'll send some flowers. It would seem that we are in no short supply of tragedy. I wonder to what extent Sazak has played into all of this, or if this is simply the way things were intended to happen. Regardless... I must once more put forth the request that you leave the continent. It is not safe here for you and your children. There is no shortage of violence and it does not often discriminate. Velin already wants me, personally, dead. You
are next, Jakob. I cannot stress this enough. A time will come when the Church has set their eyes upon you and call you for judgement. And we all know that judgement will be false. Leave. Please.

I wish you well in your detective work, though I must admit it does give me some trepidation. Please carefully consider the motivations of those you come across. The world isn't as clear as it once seemed to be.

Aleister

---

The vampire sat the letter aside, and then picked up another, his mind already on the business of old associates.

---

Mademoiselle Giguere,

Camille. It has been some time. I do hope that you haven't found yourself too busy these days, and remain in fair health. I do not know the extent to which you have corresponded with the others. Jakob has lost his wife. A terrible thing. I, too, have lost a great deal, though this letter isn't about the past. It is about the future. War is already upon our doorsteps, and it will not go away any time soon. When you find yourself on that battleline, do think twice about who stands beside you, and who stands opposite you. You may come to an uncomfortable but necessary realization.

You've no doubt heard the papers claiming me to have orchestrated that nasty business at the theater. You can make up your mind as to whether I had a hand in such thing or not. Guilty before innocent, isn't that how hunting work goes?

Do take care.

Aleister.

April, 1879

The weather in Grimsby was still icy and unpleasant despite being well into spring, but the school children were savoring the occasional snows in the afternoons as they looked forward to the coming summer, when they would finally have their freedom for a couple of months. Rachael Cheshire, now 11 years old and in her final year of primary school, sat on a public bench at the side of the road and worked furiously on her homework. It was during these hours between the end of class and supper when she was allowed to wander a bit around town and stop by her favorite locales, like the candy shop on Main Street or the bookseller on Quincy Avenue, but lately she had been using it as study time to avoid bringing her work home into the crowded and loud tenement where her family lived. She now had a younger sister, only a year old, to go along with her precocious and endlessly energetic younger brother, and between the crying of one and the mischief of the other, Rachael began to appreciate the value of silence. Or rather, near silence, as there was still the clopping of hooves against the streets and the distant murmur of voices.

As she finished another problem, she discovered that the assignment was shorter and easier than she expected, and for the first time in several days, she found herself with free time. Excitedly, she shoved the books back into her book strap and stood, looking about in wonderment at the city around her. There was so much a young girl could do in an hour, here. She pranced a bit down the sidewalk toward North Street, before deciding against it and turning abruptly down an ally which led to Crosby Road. There was a small cathedral there which had a sort of haunting beauty about it, across from which there was a newsstand that also sold a licorice-flavored chewing gum that she liked. As she bounded along, a constable shouted at her not to run on the pathway, and while Rachael looked back at him, she didn't slow down and soon crashed into an older woman who had just risen from a bench herself.

Her books tumbled out onto the pavement, and the older woman was nearly knocked clean off her feet. She slipped and caught herself on the bench, looking rather surprised, but not otherwise bothered. She was the sort of old woman Rachael was used to seeing at the bargain bookstores where the smells of fading, crumbling books made her nauseous. Her clothing was dark and adorned with numerous pieces of costume jewelry which glittered in the silvery light that comes before sunset. She straightened up as the constable arrived, assuring the man she was okay before helping to scoop Rachael off the ground. "Goodness gracious," she remarked, "you're as light as a feather, aren't you?" Rachael was too embarrassed to reply. "That's quite alright, deary, I know you didn't mean it. Let me help you with your books," the woman said, grabbing her textbook and the notepad Rachael had dropped before reaching for another, unlabeled third book.

Rachael's eyes lit up in alarm as she reached for the third one, and the little girl suddenly moved to grab it first. Both of their hands met the leather cover at the same moment, causing an awkward pause which was only alleviated when Rachael let go of it, expecting the woman to hand it over anyway. Instead, the older woman stared at what she held for a moment, as if she could now suddenly see something that she couldn't before. "That's... peculiar."

"It's just my diary," Rachael said quickly. "Can I have it back, please?"

In a quieter, more serious voice, the older woman asked her: "You keep hexes in your diary?" She then cracked a knowing smile that frightened Rachael deeply, but the old woman led out a friendly chuckle. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I won't tell anyone, I'm just surprised a girl your age would be carrying something like this around..." she checked over her shoulder to see if anyone was watching, and then, quickly, she opened the cover and took a glance at the pages. The smile on her lips grew even larger, to something resembling excitement. "My word, girl... these are some powerful curses you carry. Where did you get this?"

Rachael hesitated before finally answering. "You promise you won't tell?"

The old woman nodded, reassuringly.

Rachael told her about a night, roughly a year and a half earlier, in which some Inquisitors came to town and fought an evil witch and a dullahan. The old woman remembered the day, and so Rachael skipped ahead. "While they were fighting, a powerful vampire fell into the street from the rooftops near my family's building, and I think she dropped this. She was unconscious and I just saw the book laying on the ground, so I took it."

"Have you ever cast a spell?" the woman asked.

Rachael shook her head. The entire conversation felt surreal. When she was very young, she wasn't sure if magic was real or if it was something invented to make bedtime stories more interesting. Then after the Inquisitors came to town, the world around her seemed to grow stranger and stranger. Rumors of ancient buildings suddenly reappearing were in the news for months before the first one appeared in the middle of downtown. Now it wasn't uncommon to see creatures roaming the streets that were difficult to distinguish from legend; Rachael had recently befriended a goblin. Now, she was speaking to a witch, who had taken a great interest in the strange book she held in her possession. "I couldn't figure how to make it work."

"But you knew that it was special, and that these symbols hold power."

Rachael nodded. "I used to stay up sometimes and run my fingers over them. I can feel something when I do, almost like I can read them. But I don't know what they mean."

The witch chuckled again. "You do know, you just don't know that you know. If you've got a moment, I'll teach you, but we can't stay here. I have to warn you, deary, that this is a dangerous art, but if you can master it, you'll be a lot more than just a waif. Speaking of which, I know a place nearby that sells the most scrumptious cinnamon rolls. Does that sound good to you?"

Rachael smiled and nodded enthusiastically. Supper was usually unsatisfying small, and so she needn't worry about ruining her appetite. Besides, it had been a long time since she had saved enough money to buy a cinnamon roll and not feel gluttonous. As the pair walked away, the old witch cast a suspicious glance over her shoulder once more, at the cathedral, the constable, and a few of the priestly-looking figures conversing near the front entrances. One of the men there seemed to be watching her, but when she whispered something under her breath, he shook his head a bit, pressing his hand against his temple as he took on a shocked look. When someone asked him if he was alright, he reacted by telling them that he had suddenly forgotten how he had arrived at the cathedral, nor what he had been doing for the last hour.

The only thing the huntress had to look forward to these days were whatever letters were sent to her, moving through her estate like a ghost as she found whatever she could to busy herself. From reading to wallowing in her depressive state, the only thing that broke the monotony and loneliness was whatever news she received from her husband. Camille chose not to go out that often, the servants providing her with food and whatever she felt the need to request. When she had received Aleister's letter it came in place of a message she expected from her lover. Once she opened it and digested it in her study, she set to writing a reply almost immediately. It would find Aleister in the coming days.

--

Aleister

You know nothing of loss. Your words are empty. I do not consort with murderous monsters.

Camille

"Really?" Henderson bellowed at Velin's words. "Those cretins spend the better part of the last decade trying to find ways to permanently kill me and now that you're here, they're begging you not to do it." Regaining his composure was a bit of a challenge as the whole situation was ridiculous to him. "Oh believe me they tried. Stabbed me, drove stakes through my heart, gold, silver, fire and acid. All of them hurt like hell, but never enough on their own to kill me. Eventually they tried to starve me to death." His smile never went away "They soon found that to be the last thing they want."

"In between their experiments I was used to kill other beasts they didn't like all that much. Probably wanted me to end my life along with whatever wretch I would fight. A pureblood, large werewolves and whatever other things you'd want to exterminate on your crusade. I killed, I ate, I grew stronger. And now I hear the same talks about a demon running around."

When Camille's letter arrived, Aleister wasn't sure what he had expected. The woman hadn't changed much after all. He was already in transit to a small estate for a dinner party with a Church priest. The man was having a private dining experience with some close friends and other local members of the church to discuss recent events. Shame they were part of the wrong church.

Aleister took Camille's letter and wrote his own response on it. He scratched out her sentence and wrote below it.

Hypocrisy is unbefitting a noble lady. I could say each of your very words back to you, but I am not so petty to do so. It gladdens my heart that you would always assume the worst of me without considering otherwise. I'd say you would make Velin proud, but even she seems to find you detestable.

He put the letter into the very same envelope and sent it back.

"Charlene, dear, when you see Alexis again - do tell him to ensure he keeps a close eye on Madam Giguere. Wherever she is, we aren't. She's capable and I rather not lose any associates to her, and likewise, I rather her not die by our own hands. Not unless its necessary. I've saved her life several times already. Would be unsportsmanlike to break that record now."

Another concise letter was written back to the vampire, the huntress' temper both stoked and dulled all at once by the turmoil of emotions raging within her. What he wrote was also scratched out, scribbled over quite furiously actually.

I made you a promise. I will not break it as you have. The letters you send have told me all I need to know about the massacre. Say your last prayers. Gather whatever scraps of peace your twisted life can muster.

You will not escape.

A few days later, the next letter was handed to him. He was rather surprised. He hadn't figured she would respond. In a way, it was a little exciting and theatrical, though her words were just as empty as the first.

"That poor, demented woman," Aleister said, shaking his head. He took a sip from his wine glass which held the blood of Vicar Willardson, and he glanced over the holy man's corpse - and that of his compatriots - still sat at the dinner table. A vampire was mopping the marbled floor in the back and some of the human associates of Aleister were dining down on the large feast the vicar had assembled. Everyone seemed content.

"Carlio? Toss this into the fire, please. There is nothing more to be said."

A human man from a small city-state on the sea pranced over and took the letter, before crossing the room and depositing the letter in the roaring fireplace. When he walked back over, Aleister gestured for him to approach his place at the head of the table.

"Your work here was simply marvelous, Carlio. I don't think any could doubt your will to the cause and the society," Aleister said with a nod. He then smiled wide at the young man. "The kiss would be yours, should you desire it."

Carlio bowed low, shaking. "I-I can think of no greater reward, signore. I... I... I accept your offer most graciously!"

Aleister smiled and beckoned the man closer. He had not considered how well his holy magic could serve in these purposes. He knew he could feed without risking a person turning to a ghoul, and with that same process, he could ensure they turned to the side of the night without risk.

Three weeks after the Grimtham incident...in the Abyss....

"Bring her to me." called out a voice like velvet, and soon Mariette was being jerked along. The fleshy colored demons flanking her dragged her along the stone path, silver shackles strapped around her wrists and long chains being tugged before her. Behind her, larger demons with skin like shattered stone. She had been avoiding these creatures for the past few weeks, after being sent into the Abyss by Velin. The Abyss was quite different compared to what one would expect. There was no fire and brimstone here. Everything was cool. Cold, even, in some places. The nights were dark...almost pitch black at times, while the days with the false sun above were a dull haze. The 'sun' gave no warmth...only serving to light the way during the 'daylight' hours here.

The path wound up towards a rather extravagant stone palace, which overlooked the dark waters of the eastern ocean. She had heard from another soul here that it was dangerous to swim here in the Abyss except for in the small lakes and rivers that one would come across. The oceans were like sludge to anyone who wasn't a demon of some sort...and there were demons that also prowled in the depths. She had also noticed that some locations in the Abyss tended to...shift. As if the world was in the middle of a reformation. The Abyss was a strange place, indeed.

After being dragged several yards along a worn dirt path, lit by a torch here and there, soon Mariette would find someone rather familiar to her. Someone once her enemy. On her knees, in torn clothing and looking utterly miserable, was Cassandra Bainbridge. Her arms were stretched out to her sides, and she was chained to the large boulders next to her using silver chains. It greatly resembled the same state that the group found Sazak in when they first met him, in the forest. Cassandra slowly looked up, her face wet with tears. "...Mariette?" she said, shocked by Mariette's presence there.

Soon, the origin of the velvet voice came into view. A large man appeared, descending from the steps leading up into the stone palace. His eyes were just like all the other demons scattered about, watching them. Black, with gold irises. He apparently was in a vessel of some sort, resembling a young, strong man with short brown hair. "Welcome to Kur, Mariette. My name is Astraal. I shall be your host until my dear father, Sazak, returns from the mortal realm." he said, as he finally reached the bottom of the stone steps."

Last edited:
The afterlife was nowhere near as orderly as Mariette had expected when she chose to die. Even after her judgement at the hands of Velin had taken weeks to occur after her initial arrival in Purgatory, she still expected her entrance to the Abyss to be met with an immediate capture and instant torture. Instead, she wandered, lost, disoriented, and full of dread, for several more weeks, and had come across numerous souls wandering about in a state of lawless delirium. It seemed that the demons didn't torture everyone equally, there was never a single sign of hope upon the faces of the damned, which indicated that there was likely no escape from this place, or at least no escape that anyone could remember. There was also something about the way they stared ahead as they spoke. Mariette had once heard that if you looked into the eyes of someone who had seen the Abyss firsthand, one would see the Abyss itself. The assertion came from the Age of Darkness, and until now, she considered it a mere legend. Not anymore. While she saw nothing in those vacant eyes, she felt something real and powerful. Something that made her want to turn away.

The first time she saw a demon that wasn't cloaked in a vessel, she felt her dread turn to outright loathing, and she was certain that they would pounce upon her, but somehow she went unnoticed. She took special care to avoid them for as long as possible so that she could get a better sense of her surroundings, but her exploration netted little in the way of useful knowledge. Finally, there came a time when she was noticed, or perhaps the demons finally felt inclined to do something with her, as they all closed in at once, aggressively, and although Mariette put up no resistance, they still brutally beat her down and threw chains upon her. The silver was painful at every touch, like a needle driven directly into the nerves. They then pulled her along, and she awkwardly stumbled, and often fell, as they dragged her toward the stone palace.

The sight of Cassandra so thoroughly humiliated couldn't even lift her spirits, but she forced herself to smile mockingly at Cassandra. "Oui, madame," she answered before the smile disappeared. "I warned you. You should have listened." She was speaking of their run-in outside of Grimsby, in which Mariette warned Cassandra that both the Duke and Valeria were being used as pawns by Sazak to get closer to the godly artifacts, and unless they switched sides, they would be doomed. Cassandra thanked her by stabbing her through the chest and then kidnapping Valeria. On one hand, Mariette resented that Cassandra had crippled her mind so severely with her Romanov blood addiction that she continued to serve the Duke, even after Mariette's warning. On the other, she was thankful that the events that followed inspired her own turn away from the nightmarish path she had chosen as Sazak's ally.

To Astraal, Mariette did her best to capitulate. She had not resisted the demons and she would certainly not resist against one of such high standing. Falling to her hands and knees, she replied. "All is well, monsieur, to be in your grace until then," she spoke flatly, as if she were addressing a high ranking Escarian noble. "What would you have of me?"

Astraal smiled. "I'd wish to have all of you for myself, but of course...my father has already laid claim over you. He seeks to use you for...something." he said, placing his hand to his chin as he crossed his arms. "For what, I don't rightly know. He wanted your punishment to be special, since you made a deal with him then broke it." Astraal then pointed to Cassandra. "...As for her, my father just likes her for some reason."

Astraal strolled over and sat down on a boulder before them. Between them, a torch flickered. "So...how did you die? Father failed to mention that." he asked, with a smile. He looked to Cassandra, whom continued to look at the ground. He tilted his head. "...Oh, right. You didn't actually die. You were just ripped apart and slung down here with us by Velin."

Mariette sat up on her knees so that she could have a more natural conversation. "I was a pureblood when I made my deal with Sazak. Cassandra took what was to be Sazak's future vessel to Duke Ashwood, who was in possession of Adona's Ring, even after I told her what Sazak intended to do with both the Duke and the ring. My promise to Sazak was that I would protect that vessel, and so I was forced to confront Ashwood. He used the ring to remove my pureblood status. Cassandra fought me, along with the church Inquisitors I was travelling with, and lost." Mariette looked harshly at Cassandra as she said this.

"However, by the end of all this, I had come to realize that my mind was poisoned by ambition. The gifts the Prince had offered me would have surely led me further astray of my original goals, and would have led to a great tragedy for all of vampire kind. Moreover, it would require I betray some friends I held truly dear. So I put myself into the sun, and left the fate of the world in their hands instead. I've come to learn that Sazak has triumphed, regardless, but I was able to perish with a clean conscience. Oddly, I awoke in Purgatory - I had expected to land here, where I belong - but Velin cast me into the Abyss after all." Mariette shook her head. "She is a truly daft creature. May Sazak strike her down."

Last edited:
Astraal went to speak, but Cassandra spoke up instead. "...So you're going to play the part of a suck-up now?" she said, tilting her head just far enough to give Mariette a glare. "We could have had it all, and you had to screw me." Astraal chuckled. "My my, you two DO have history together." he said, "Its quite cute to see you bickering. You sound almost like Sekath and Sagath." He sat back a bit. "So you bathed in sunlight...noble way to go out. Rather painful from what I've heard as well. And yes, father triumphed and now has both Adona's ring as well as Velin's sword." He motioned off towards the southwest with his hand. "But our lord Taranoch will likely be the one to slay Velin. It's been a long time coming, you see."

"The Inquisitors defeated you, and every other threat on their way to battle the duke, and then killed him while he held Adona's ring. They'd have killed me easily if I had joined his side, easier than we killed you," Mariette replied, calmly. "I could have triumphed indeed, but only after I had 'screwed' you. All I had to do was protect Valeria from harm in those moments after the Duke was slain and I would have been Queen of the Vampires. I chose this fate instead. What you call 'having it all' amounts to a legacy of wanton death and destruction. Shame on me for ever considering it." She then turned her attention back to Astraal. "That doesn't surprise me. The gods are weak, aside from Velin, and given her self-righteous contempt for all who value justice over stroking her godly ego, I could not have less confidence in humanity's benefactors."

Astraal gazed upon Mariette for a few moments. "...You know, vampires will suffer once Taranoch returns to the mortal realm, correct? As will the lycans and other supernatural creatures. We demons hunted more than just humans, you know." he said. He grinned. "There will be wanton death and destruction anyway...so you just casually stepped aside to allow it to happen on its own." Astraal soon stood from where he was sitting. "Ah well...doesn't really matter anymore for you two. You're both down here. Who cares if everyone back home gets slaughtered, right?"

Soon, another voice could be heard from up at the stone palace. "Astraal? Where are you, dear boy?" said the voice. Sazak had arrived.

Florentina, City of Valencia

An armored individual stared at the burnt cruxifications forming a very long row across the beach. She laid on both knees, hands on her lap praying for the souls that were lost from whatever trouble lied within the port city.

By the first flame. In Karnax give them strength, In Aldras give them resolution, In Freya give them peace. We are steel, the flame runs through our veins. And they shall know our history. And now, I shall remember yours...

The woman rose from the sand, standing on the horizon overlooking the ships sailing. These were interesting times as news spread about the return of many races from the old age. However, it never seemed to stop Valencia and its affairs from the rest of the world. The supernatural such as Vampires and Werebeasts traveled there in hopes to remain hidden from the authorities such as the Church and the Order. Valencia, prior to its fealty to the Kingdom of Florentina was a city-state settled by pre-Florentian colonizers and their livestock. The isle was said to display strange magical influence beneath the terrain, causing a part of the population to change drastically, altering pigments and committing heinous acts like blood magic.

People seeking refuge within Valencia was very common due to the reason Valencia acted as a free city and practiced religious tolerance. This unfortunately created a massive problem regarding worshipers of different faiths, even encouraging the rise of covens and cults. The woman started to wander back into the city, witnessing citizens opening up their local shops and priests dressed in red giving sermons to curious tourists from the mainland.

Of course Valencia is known to worship the Dragons, hunted to extinction by Humanity. Several radical cults believed there will be a day where they will return once more and engulf the known world on fire. She usually saw members of the City Watch turn a blind eye towards extortion, paid well by the ruling family. But it wasn’t her jurisdiction even if she wanted to change the way things were. No, her interests are in protecting the realm.

She was a Red Warden, an order founded to prevent the spread of chaos in regions of the known world and to hunt highly dangerous individuals. The Red Wardens’ main temple is located on the outskirts of the city where members are usually hired by the populace for protection.

Unlike the Hunters, the Red Wardens usually work alone on their own contracts from their clients. Humans, Vampires, especially Demons. They were all capable of committing the worst crimes. And with the world entering into a state of confusion, it’ll grow worse in the years that will follow. An incident caused time to misalign, letting Elves and Dwarves into the city with ease. Because of this, The Red Wardens had to work fast, sending members across the world to assist the states no matter what. Everyone knew the risks involved in such challenges, but it was for the best.

The Warden got on a large merchant boat after speaking to the Captain named Jose Martin. The Captain looked in his thirties, wearing a blue uniform and a black cap designated as the sole authority on his ship. Jose raised an eyebrow at the Warden, hoping he didn’t want to be rude. He let out a fake cough, staring at the woman.

“Madam, I’m glad to have you on board. But with all due respect, don't you think you would be more comfortable wearing something appropriate with this heat and all? Security runs tight on this ship. I assure you, you won’t need to worry about fighting during this journey.” The Captain gave a friendly smile towards the Warden but she never expressed a gesture, especially with that black armor.

“I prefer to keep this armor with me at all times. But I appreciate the concern, Captain Martin. These are interesting times for Adonia I’ve heard.” She mentioned, allowing Jose to nod.

“Yes, ancient castles, different races spreading across the continent. And now people don’t have a clue what’s going on. Florentina on the other hand? Some folks are acting like nothing special happened. I’m expecting tourist city from here on out for Valencia,” Jose chuckled, lighting up a wooden pipe from a match, smoking. “Tell me, what do you folks at the temple think about all these implications?” Jose asked.

It’s clear recent events sparked discussion at the main temple known as the Ashstone Stronghold. Some believed it was the duty of the Red Wardens to play a role in the mess, but others argued they shouldn’t play in politics or else get caught up in the Church’s own affairs.

“The Red Wardens have no interest in Adonian politics. But if people, innocents for example are getting killed, we can’t ignore the call and rely on the Church to do everything.” She explained calmly.

“True, I oughta give you that. But might I warn you that this is a mercantile expedition foremost, let’s try not to start any contracts until we finally go our separate ways. The only thing me and my men want to do is sell wine, silk and find a tavern when the day is over. Is that a deal?” Jose quickly extended a hand as the female Warden stared at the friendly gesture for a mere moment until she did the same thing.

“Agreed.” She simply answered.

An hour later, the merchant vessel The Marianne set sail for the designated routes. The Warden overlooked the city of Valencia, knowing it would be a while before she ever returned. For now, she awaited the changing future...

Jakob slipped his hat back on, eyes still looking down at Cecil's grave. Flowers rested at the foot of her gravestone. His eyes drifted to the side from the flowers, to the grave next to it. His son's grave. He had placed flowers there as well. It had become routine to visit the graveyard when he wasn't away on a case. Every morning he had his coffee, accompanied his daughter to St. Gwyndolin Private School, then visited the graveyard before submerging himself in piles of new cases. It was his routine, and he felt strange not doing it every day. He could see in the distance the old gravedigger, looking back at him while he stood there. Resting himself on his shovel while giving Jakob a smile. Jakob looked away. He knew that deep inside, all he was doing was holding onto painful memories. But he couldn't just let them go. As he made his way through the graveyard, he recognized one of the graves. He stopped for a moment to look at it. 'William O'Niel' was marked upon the gravestone, and at the bottom was engraved 'DESERTER'. Jakob looked down, before walking away from another painful memory.

As he walked through the streets of Redgorge once more, a kobold newspaper boy was running around shouting out some of the important articles in the news. Jakob stopped the little canine boy, and tossed him a quarter. The boy then handed him a newspaper which he quickly began to read over. "Hrongar & sons discover new veins of zinc in Redgorge!" Jakob took a deep breath, as he raised his head from the newspaper to look at the busy street. "Waves of werewolf purges claim three innocent victims! Two men and woman wrongfully accused of lycanthropy and killed by a lynch mob." Jakob closed the newspaper, folding it and walking away. Things were changing too rapidly for him, or maybe he was just too slow to catch up with them.

Jakob quickly headed down to the agency. It had only been a month or so, but he had hired a few new detectives and assistants to his staff. All sorts of interesting characters who in a way shared the same beliefs as the agency itself. Always find the real truth without early judgement. To prove ones innocence or guilt. Jakob only hired those who actually had useful talents or experiences for such endeavors. As he entered the building, he was welcomed by a few of his detectives, whom were working on a few reports. He quickly headed to his own desk, and sat down to work on his own personal case. Right next to his desk was a board with various locations, names, a timeline of events, and even some drawings and pictures. He looked at it for a while, studying the list of things on the side that Theodore and Aleister had told him through their letters.

Aleister...where could he start? A few days ago, he saw Aleister's wanted poster on a constabulary board. He couldn't believe that the young vampiric priest had done such a thing. Even if things could be justified in some way, several people died at Aleister's hand according to the Church. He wanted to believe that this was just an attempt to make Aleister look like a radical cult leader. A smear campaign who now had an unfortunate poster boy. But based on what Aleister had said in his letters, there must have been some element of truth to them. What did you get yourself into, Aleister?

Theodore, on the other hand, had seemingly offered his services to Jakob. Which he was more than happy to take. As soon as the letter came, Jakob sent one to Theodore to tell him that he was more than welcome to join him at the agency. He could really use a brilliant mind like his. His information was most useful, as it seemed the scholar had figured out something Aleister did not. Which seemed to be a 'curse' inflicted on the members of the inquiry. Jakob added that to the timeline, marking specifically...the day Cecil was visited by a possessed Valeria. He took a deep breath, while looked to the list of names on the side of the board.

- Valeria: Possessed, Missing, Dead?
- Aleister: Alive, Cursed.
- Rosanna: Missing, Dead?
- Theodore: Alive, Cursed.
- Camille: Alive, Cursed?
- Galina: Missing, Dead? Cursed?
- Wesley: Unknown, Cursed?
- Mariette: Dead.
- Ethraeil: Unknown, sighted near Daristein, Cursed?
- Unknown Man, "Francis": Alive, Cursed?

- Erwin: Unknown.

Using some help from an old friend in the local church, Jakob had managed to read a report that was passing through Redgorge before reaching its destination in Escaria. It wasn't detailed, nor did it have a lot of information, but it seemed to have been written by someone on Grimtham Isle. It was enough to get a little information on some of the members of the Inquiry. But there were still many questions. He didn't know where Rosanna was. They never found her body, and she still hadn't contacted her beloved nephew and grand nephew. Which she had spoken fondly of, and whom clearly missed her. Jakob still sent letters to remain in contact with them. Galina vanished from the public eye in Tsavania, after being ousted from her noble house, and he still didn't know where Wesley was.

Jakob then looked to his side, staring at the letters he had gotten over the past few days. From Juste, from the McFaddens, Aleister, Theodore...Camille. He didn't know what had happened with the Marquess. Maybe he should send her a letter asking what was wrong? But that train of thought was quickly interrupted as he felt his sister's hand on his shoulder. Jakob's eyes flashed yellow briefly, as he looked up at Jessica. "Woah easy there, boy! Just brought you some coffee!" claimed Jess, while holding up a cup of coffee. "Y-You scared the living heaven out of me, sis! Good Thiasis..." Jakob took the coffee cup, taking a sip and looking at the board again. Jessica stood next to him, crossing her arms. "So any news from your old inquiry friends?" Jakob shook his head. "Too early. Recently sent letters. I don't expect news from them yet...well, only from a few members of the Church. I did get a letter from Camille, but..." Jakob extended an arm to get the letter, and showed it to Jessica. "Oh wow..." she said, letting out a small chuckle. "...Well, what did you expect? She's Escarian. They're all dickheads."

Jakob raised an eyebrow, while looking to his sister. "Girl...our papa was Escarian!" Jessica smiled. "Yeah, and he was OUR dickhead! Oh, come on! You and I know dad was one complicated motherhumper! 'Hon hon, Jakob, go get the firewood! And remember! You'll be a lawyer or I'll disown you!' Only a woman like Ma could have loved that guy." Jakob let out a hearty laugh in response to the clearly offensive accent his sister had made. Jessica laughed as well, before looking back to Jakob. "...So, when will you cheer up some more?" Jakob smiled. "What do you mean? I am more...cheerful in a way, you know." She pressed a finger against his lips. "Hush. Jakob, you're my big brother. I know you like the back of my hand. That shit eating grin you have right now? That's not you." Jakob looked at her for a moment, surprised, before looking down with shame. "I know you. You're trying to make it look like everything is fine. Might work with Lucy and the others, but I can tell how much..." She then pointed to the board. "...you want to find this demon guy...And then what? You think you can stand against a demon?" Jakob sat there in silence, his eyes on the board again, before speaking once more. "I owe it to them...Valeria, Mariette...Everyone. I was supposed to be there...I could have..." He took a deep breath. "...Maybe I could have saved them. Maybe saved Cecil as well..." Jessica stood there in silence, with the office going quiet around them. "...Jakob, you have a good business here...Your little girl needs you more than ever. Just keep that in mind." Jessica then walked away, as Jakob looked back to the board. Staring directly at Valeria's name.

Two years after the Witlock Inquiry, the summer of 1879. The ancient elven estate of Chamoroux, in the forests near the Escarian-Tsavanian border.

An elvish woman of rather unladylike gait hurried through the smoothed stone hallway, heels clacking with fervor against the polished hardwood floor, as she was trailed by two large, heavily armored knights, who occasionally shot glances back behind themselves. One was armed with a longsword and torch, whilst the other carried an axe as tall as a man, the blade the size of a pot. Though their footfalls made no attempt to mask their noise, armor clanking together heavily with every movement, they were drowned out by the sounds around the rest of the castle. Fires burned both without and within, crackling and licking at the stony ceilings which the trio paced over, sending an uncomfortable heat through them. Metal and wood were thrown against oneanother, and shouting could be heard faintly from much further down the passage, as the castle's retinue tried to put up a desperate defence. A defence which, in the coming history books, would have been known as an ultimately fruitless endeavour. There were also screams. Gutteral, bestial ones, as steel and silver ripped through mutated flesh; and loftier, more agonized ones, whilst bone and sinew were cracked, broken and ripped from their joints.

The lands of the royal Chamoroux family had always had a beast problem. Having historically shared the land with humans, it seemed that every day along the roads that there was some news between the travelling citizens that a village had been assaulted by some werebeast, or that a child that was missing had been found by the river, evidently lured away by the sickeningly saccharine song of a siren. This wasn't helped by the tenure of the family's eldest daughter, Princess Gwenaelle, who had since a few years prior, taken over the running of the lands after the king, the family's patriarch, had fallen into a deep illness. Ostensibly, he was still the ruler, but de facto, Gwenaelle now held all the family's power. Her oft vain projects required the 'acquisition' of humans to serve them. This, in turn, led to a good deal of beasts who had slipped into the kingdom under their noses. These humans weren't treated abominably: they at least had the luxuries of food, and shelter, but were still, ultimately, subservient to a people that viewed them with cool contempt, and, at their most magnanimous, were simply apathetic to their cause. After all, if you were an elf in these lands, then life was, even taking the beasts into account, rather cushy. Eventually, these werebeasts began to form their own underground bands, grouping up together, and planning to make their attack.

In an age before the firearms and gunpowder of the modern world, one beast was still a nuisance. A group, a threat. But an army of incensed teeth and fur, brought together in their anger? It would be nigh unstoppable.

The princess and her royal guard made their way to a door of thick, solid oak, its edges and etchings trimmed in a mixture of gold and silver, as were its handles. One of the knights pushed open the heavy door, allowing the others inside, before he himself stepped in, dropping a plank, banded and reinforced with heavy iron, to blockade the door. The room was lavish, and had not long ago been refurbished. Another one of Gwenaelle's projects of vanity. Pillars of marble, capped off either end with black granite, and banded with gold, stood either side of a large, wine red carpet that greeted those who entered, leading all the way up to a throne raised upon the steps. It was, too, made of fine marble, brought in and engraved where it stood, and cushioned with only the finest of silks and feather pillows, the same colour as the carpet, and flanked by both a marble and granite gryphon, lying vigilant, covered by gold and silver armor, respectively. Were the princess in better spirits, she'd think it almost ironic, that these lesser people would make the room they had made for her; the room that she had sentenced so many of them to their demise, her tomb.

As Gwen approached her throne, she suddenly felt a pang of nausea, deep within her stomach. A dull ringing invaded her ears, a The entire world began to spin around her, the princess falling to her knees, clutching at the edge of her glorified chair as she tried not to double over to lie upon the floor in pain. She gritted her teeth together, the clawed fingertips of her gloves scratching against the stone. "My lady!" The axeman shouted, rushing to the princess and holding a hand out towards her. "Are you alright? You weren't... accosted by one of those disgusting abominations, were you?" Whilst his voice was clearly concerned, there were clear undertones of panic within it, as well. With a pained groan, however, the princess slapped away his hand, standing upon her own two feet with a scowl on her face. "I'm..." She patted herself down once over, glancing over her form. "...I'm fine."

Whilst the swordsman had a hand on his scabbard, both of the guards gave a solemn nod of their head. Both of them felt something odd, too. But, as their fortitude was much stronger than their charge of protection, they weren't as badly affected by whatever hex that the entire group had suffered. Something felt... different, though. The princess was the first to pick up on it, however, holding a hand up, and hushing. "...Listen." She quietly commanded, staying deathly still. It was not, however, the sounds of battle, or something scratching its way up the keep's walls, that caught their attention, but rather, the absence of such. Pale sunlight streamed in through slits on the wall behind the throne, focused by glass. There was a faint sound of chirping behind it. The sounds of birdsong.

The princess's face was practically giddy, as she walked over to see the sunlight, rays of something she had never once expected to experience again washing over her face. It was still... bittersweet, however. In her heart, she still knew that there would be much work to do to the rest of the castle before it would be anywhere close to its previous grandeur. "I think... I think we've outlasted this siege." Gwen's voice was quiet, grateful, even. She was not oft seen with a genuine smile, but this was one of those rare occasions. Her eyes darted between the two guards, who lowered their stance, somewhat. Without the sounds of pillaging and battle, there was significantly less to worry about. "I think I'll just pop to the balcony and see what the damages are." Before either of the two could respond, the princess had already disappeared behind the throne's canopy, a tiny passage which led to a heavy, polished steel door. Gwenaelle released the deadbolt, pushing it open to check the damages of 'the night before'.

The prospect of death scared her. What she saw of the estate terrified her.

The walls and buildings of the keep were, as expected, horrendously damaged. But not by, as she had expected the claws and battle and fire would have done, but instead, it seemed more as if the buildings had been throttled by time. The once grand, shining walls of the keep had dulled down to look like any common stone, as vines snaked and webbed across them in a choking coil. The surface of those walls was cracked and cragged. The villa that was just beneath the keep had also long since lost its lustre. The roof had been badly battered, and caved in at several places, the stones of the keep having long since tumbled through it, allowing chirping birds a way in and out of the shelter. The garden's cobble path was overgrown with weeds and moss, as was the fountain in its centre, the flowing water dried up long ago, and the statue laying in many shards and pieces in the bottom of its stagnant pool. The massive clearing on the edge of the forest that had been carved out had once again taken hold. Trees surrounded the castle, branches brushing over the battlements. Whatever may have been left of the vineyards close by was covered up by the forest.

It all felt just so deeply wrong to Gwenaelle. This was not simply the mere passage of time of a few hours, but it seemed as though she had leaped forward centuries in time. She questioned to herself if it were real at all. Perhaps if she just believed hard enough, closed her eyes-- prayed, even, she would just wake up out of this nightmare in her head. The attack of the beasts would all be just a dream. She tried. For minutes, even, with no such luck. Gwen opened her eyes. The gentle, otherwise soothing birdsong, had not stopped. The sight remained the same as it had five minutes prior. That pit deep within her stomach returned once more, as she thought upon the implications. If the castle looks like this after so many years. Decrepit, falling apart... then she would hold no clout in the world any more. She would be no longer considered royalty, but just another common long-ear.

It was, perhaps for the first time, that the princess felt true fear and despair.

"Were I strong enough to prevent it all, I would have," Mariette replied just as Sazak began to appear, "but at least what happens now is not by my own hand," she added in a whisper. "Sazak," she said, "I can only offer my congratulations, as I cannot apologize for failing to deliver on my word."

Last edited:
Two Years After Grimtham

Redgorge

The city, and its immediate surroundings, was a peculiar contradiction when compared to the rest of the world, at least to the eyes of Venextos as he walked among its streets and observed the locales. While for the most part there were orders by the Church, and most likely by Velin, to keep the resurgent and formerly extinct populations enclosed and closely watched, here they walked among the humans without much to fear it seemed. Dwarves went about their work days and participating in their craft, the few elves that he saw did so as well, the goblins and kobolds occasionally popping up. It almost reminded the ancient sorcerer of more... tolerant times. He could help but feel joy at the sight of this, as the world continues to plunge to chaos a bit more each day there was a semblance of peace here. But he wasn't here to just sightsee, he was here for a reason. He had to find and speak with a man that caught his attention during and after the Witlock Inquiry. And he needed to be rather quick about it, as he did not want to draw attention to himself moreso than the few odd glances he had received already.

Not so long after, he found himself on the street leading to the one and only Phillimon Detective and Hunting Agency. As he approached, he went up a few steps and knocked his staff gently onto the door a few times and awaited an answer.

It was a brand new day at the Agency, as detectives were settling down and gathering things together before departing for their investigations. Jakob had recently returned from the cemetery, and was now reading some of the files he had recieved in the past few days. But he was constantly eyeing the board next to him. It was calling to him, to keep trying to solve this case. To know what happened to everyone in the Inquiry. But Jakob couldn't evade his responsibilities any longer. He was the boss of this Agency, and he had to do his job. He was reading through a case involving a group of independent hunters from a nearby town. It resulted in their arrest for the murder of an innocent person suspected to be a vampire. The truth was that the victim was indeed a vampire, but after a thorough investigation of the victim as well as the of the hunters, it was proven that the vampire never committed a any crimes or was responsible for the death any nearby victims. It was good that the victim died in a fire, otherwise it would have been impossible to arrest these men with how things were going these days.

Jessica was putting her hat back on, as she drank from a cup of coffee. Getting ready to do her own cases. She had been thinking of fully retiring from the Hunter's Guild. Even if they mostly worked to kill the utterly hostile monsters, the detective work was suiting her well. Plus, she didn't mind staying home with her family. Especially little Lucy. Suddenly, she heard a knock on the door, and quickly went to open it. "Welcome to the Phi--...uh..." Jessica stopped mid sentence, staring at the man standing at the door. He was wearing a hood, with several dark raven feathers decorating his outfit. His hood obscured most of his face, and he was also apparently holding a staff. "Uh...can...I help you, sir?" She looked back to Jakob, whom was also looking at the man as well.

Venextos gave a small bow and a smile as he began to speak to Jessica. "Bonjour madame, I am looking for a Monsieur Phillimon. Is he here at the moment?" he asked politely.

Jessica eyed the mystical...fellow for a moment, before stepping aside and pointing to Jakob. Who was near the end of the office, sitting behind his desk. "That's him right there. Please, take a seat." Jakob watched the man, and gave him a nod. "Uh...welcome, sir. Yes, as my sister just said, please take a seat. How can I help you? Oh! Do you want some coffee or tea?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back