Viewpoint How would you feel if you realized your partner's reply was generated by an AI?

TripleVegas

Hi, I've noticed an influx of AI-generated posts, also on this site. Even some recruitment threads seem to be AI-generated. By that, I mean that a significant portion of the text (sometimes 50%, other times 100%) is generated by an AI based on the person's prompt. Sometimes, you can see edits, while other times, it's evident that nearly none were made.

How would it make you feel if you realized the post you received and were expected to respond to wasn't really written by your roleplay partner?

Would you not care as long as, in your opinion, the quality was decent?

Would you feel cheated since they didn't put half as much time and effort into it as you did?

Would you feel uncomfortable with the fact they probably fed your own written content to the AI so it could produce a supposedly accurate response?

And one question for those using AI in the mentioned manner—do you assume nobody notices that you didn't write it, or do you not care whether they did or not?

What's your stance on this?

I don’t think I would notice. I have been doing this long enough to have gotten some pretty bad responses that were one hundred percent written by an actual person as AI simply didn’t exist at the time.

So it would be more of a quality question than anything. Can I reply to the post? Then I’m not gonna worry about some odd phrasing or whatever. If I can’t reply then I will ask them to edit it or leave the roleplay.

If I got 100% undeniable proof, I'd probably be ticked off and I'd tell them I didn't want to continue anymore. I RP so that I can create stories with other folks. If I wanted to create a story with a bot, then there are plenty of apps for that nowadays. I want your individuality, ingenuity, character writing, quick thinking, and investment, not whatever the AI deems is the most likely to get it a cookie.

If they seem to still put enough effort, I’d probably excuse some of it. I am not entirely innocent of this either. When I was a bit newer to the whole text rp thing, I simply made an AI check for grammatical errors/ make it sound better. Then I would paste that, but change whatever I felt didn’t feel right (I don’t do that anymore). If they are just making the AI generate the entire reply, then I would see that as a possible red flag. Like what Daisie said: “If I wanted to create a story with a bot, then there are plenty of apps for that nowadays”. Even I use AI chat apps as a personal guilty pleasure to this day, but I want my human partners to write their human replies, even if they had an AI check their grammar.

If they seem to still put enough effort, I’d probably excuse some of it. I am not entirely innocent of this either. When I was a bit newer to the whole text rp thing, I simply made an AI check for grammatical errors/ make it sound better. Then I would paste that, but change whatever I felt didn’t feel right (I don’t do that anymore). If they are just making the AI generate the entire reply, then I would see that as a possible red flag. Like what Daisie said: “If I wanted to create a story with a bot, then there are plenty of apps for that nowadays”. Even I use AI chat apps as a personal guilty pleasure to this day, but I want my human partners to write their human replies, even if they had an AI check their grammar.
Oh yeah. I didn't even think of grammar lol, that's totally fine. In fact, if a grammar checker makes a post easier to read, then that serves ME more than it does you!
But an AI serving as a beta reader is a world apart from an AI serving as a ghostwriter, lol.

It's like... would you be content if someone replaced all your loved ones with exact robotic replicas, who look, sound, and behave in all the same ways as before?
Chances are, yeah, you'd find something intrinsically abhorrent with that. It's not the quality to me, it's the principle.

Oh yeah. I didn't even think of grammar lol, that's totally fine. In fact, if a grammar checker makes a post easier to read, then that serves ME more than it does you!
But an AI serving as a beta reader is a world apart from an AI serving as a ghostwriter, lol.

It's like... would you be content if someone replaced all your loved ones with exact robotic replicas, who look, sound, and behave in all the same ways as before?
Chances are, yeah, you'd find something intrinsically abhorrent with that. It's not the quality to me, it's the principle.
True. The fact that they are doing it at all is a whole other thing.

I.. Honestly don’t know. I rp with people mostly to build stories and go on adventures ai couldn’t take me. I doubt that i could notice it, seeing as ai usually doesn’t come up during my posts, but if theres proof then I’d probably either ask them to stop, or leave. Or maybe if its good enough i wouldn’t care.

Wait, that's a thing? lol, wow. Seriously, where's the fun in that? If that's what some want to do, can't really do anything about it. I would never do it. Everything has got to come from me. If I don't have time, I'm not going to roleplay.

I'm not sure I would be okay with it from a partner even if the quality was decent. It's not the same as actually having myself and the person I'm writing with putting our own effort into it. Our discussions with one another, characters, etc all so a post can be generated or whatever they're doing with AI. If I'm putting my 100% into my writing, taking out time in the day to craft something for my partner, I want the same in return. It's really that simple, at least for me.

I think there's levels to this. Using AI to check your grammar or brainstorm ideas is fine; Writing entire posts, profiles, and interest checks baffles me more than anything You aren't earning money or fame. At best you'll receive reacts and form connections where you roleplay but none of it really translates outside of the medium. All of this is a hobby. It's for fun so what's the point if you aren't going to meaningfully participate in the process?

If I found out someone used AI generated writing, I'd probably ask chatGPT to write them a DM and then dip lol.

Last edited:
I've tried RPing with an AI bot, and it's nothing at all like Rping with an actual real person. I would deeply bothered if I find out one of my partners was writing all of their posts with AI.

I can understand why someone might be tempted - maybe there's a pressure to get a post out and the muse just isn't awake, or maybe the partner's post was especially well written and someone feels like they just can't match it...

For me, I feel that I have good communication with all my partners and if I found out that any of them were writing their posts with AI, I would feel that the reason for this needed to be addressed. Maybe I'm doing something as a partner to make them feel like their own writing isn't 'good enough'? Surely my partner is here because they want the 'realness' that I can provide in my writing, so why don't they offer me the same?

I have huge respect for all my partners, so I'd never assume the 'worst' of their intentions if they used an AI to write their post. I'd assume something might be wrong and want to understand what it was and correct it.

If a new partner used AI, one that I hadn't built up that respect and trust with just yet, I'd be very bothered as I'd be more likely to see it as a sign of laziness and lack of respect for my time and effort.

I have no problem at all with a partner using AI for grammar checks, or to brainstorm ideas. But I want the actual content of the post to come from their own creativity, not an AIs.

I'd probably just feel sorry for them that they aren't doing the part of roleplaying that actually makes it fun- Reading and writing some awsome stuff- if it weren't for the probability that my own work might be scraped. I know that the risk comes with publishing anything on the internet, but it doesn't make non-consensually feeding another person's art to an AI ethical.
So yeah, if my writing is being scraped, then I would feel violated. If not, I'd just be disappointed.

If I noticed it and was able to confirm for certain that it's AI then I'd drop the RP immediately. If you can't be bothered to even write up proper replies then there's no point bothering with you as a partner. It shows laziness and lack of creativity to use AI rather than your own imagination.

In a 1x1, I'd get bored and leave. Not much else to say really.

Im a group RP, they'd just be the odd one out. I'd probably talk shit about then and would be annoyed by their presence in the same way one might an unpleasant person.

Last edited:
I'd probably find some excuse (cause I doubt the person would admit it) and leave. I would likely find it rather disrespectful if anything more than, say, a light rewriting was conducted. What are you doing in a forum roleplay if you can't be bothered to write yourself?

In a group, I'd probably try to do what I do to other people who do things that bother me a lot (or else that I think I'd best not touch with a ten foot pole) but I don't think a GM will act upon and just try to avoid or minimize any interactions with that person or their content.

I don't think I'd care that much to be honest.

As long the replies are still good enough, I don't really care if I roleplay with an ai or not. If someone finds enjoyment in acting as a middleman for it, who am I to deny them that?

Last edited:
i have no interest in writing against ai; if i did, i'd skip the human "middle man" and do so directly. not only would i think it was disingenuous to send me ai-generated responses when i was putting in the effort to make mine "from scratch," but the fact i'd suspect it at all would mean something about the writing was fundamentally incompatible with my preferences, anyway.

what i enjoy about collaborative writing is the personality in my writing partners' posts. i enjoy their compelling prose, and while ai might be fine for certain types of writing, the type of roleplay i enjoy isn't one of them.

tl;dr: if i suspected my writing partner was using ai to create their posts, it'd probably indicate our styles & preferences were incompatible even if i was wrong.

If i ever saw an Ai i wouldnt want to rp becuase to be honest it not real creative nor will it feel real at least in my opion also it may be offensive to certian people

If i ever saw an Ai i wouldnt want to rp becuase to be honest it not real creative nor will it feel real at least in my opion also it may be offensive to certian people
its not offensieve, its just that alot of ppl roleplay with ai, so do it to feel some sort of...idk connection, i do it all the time 😭 so im not offended, i respect yall opnion

well for me its more of the borderline of not actually putting some thought into it i guess its more furstating I mean i dont pratically like the idea of having ai but i do respect yours and the others opion

yes, i understand, for me, i really dont care, ai or not, they both let me have fun, and let me use my imagination whenever, so i respect everyones opnion regardless

but the again diffrent people have diffrent views about this and to be honest for me if i spoted someone who did that i wouldnt even talk to them

so etheir way its just the matter of the way people view ai really i dont know about everyone else but i find it furstarting and sometimes annoying (but then again iget annoyed very easily)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back