Advice/Help How to run an open world group rp?

Rowan Doll

Trans Masc | auDHD | Always looking to RP
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Basically each characters can interact with others with their own will, and there is no main plot, all characters have their own plots, and bigger plots can arise as the rp goes on, but it won't necessarily happen.

For context I'm planning on hosting a warrior cats rp with all ocs and new clans.

Personally I think Open World rps need established things to do.

By all means, people should be free to ignore them but just throwing a bunch of people into a setting and telling them to just do whatever is like the number 1 killer of Open World rps.

Personally I think Open World rps need established things to do.

By all means, people should be free to ignore them but just throwing a bunch of people into a setting and telling them to just do whatever is like the number 1 killer of Open World rps.
Okay, so I've just set up past events to make there be tension between the clans and inside the clans, will that be enough?

I think it's a neat idea on paper, but I'm just chiming in to say I don't think I've ever seen a sandbox RP like what you're talking about working for very long at a time.

Granted I'm not searching through group RPs all the time XD But I think people really do need a bit of direction. Some sort of plot, something to get invested in.

Highly improbable to the point I can comfortably say it's impossible.

Roleplayers nowadays need a direction or they do not participate. Whatever the reason for that may be, I say save yourself the stress and perhaps try executing the idea with close friends, as the chance of success is much higher that way.

Otherwise, I would not even attempt it.

I guess you could sprinkle in random plot hooks into the clan descriptions. Like say, this clan is clearly hiding some kind of succession issue with its chieftain. Then that other clan has been gathering magic tomes for years, but it seems they've been stolen and the entire clan is trying to find the thief (err I dont know a thing about warrior cats)

That way people can immediatelly assume important roles and fill in the gaps without feeling lost. Hopefully.

These kinds of roleplays aren’t super in my wheelhouse, but I will say that fandom seems kind of a strange combination with “open world”. At that point it’s just a plotless fandom RP which does make me wonder what your contribution as a GM would even be. Arbitration probably?

That being said, I do think some roleplays of this genre will work, but I agree with the sentiment that players need direction and something to do. Admittedly a fandom RP does pretty much skip the issue of players not being immediately invested in the world, but it doesn’t change issues like passive attitudes, character design that isn’t proactive, and general lack of substantial motivation or unity. You’re kind of relying on lucking upon a player that is able to take things into their own hands and pretty much take over the role.

Well, there’s no harm trying in the end, other than time and effort. I would perhaps ask myself, if I were in your position, why I am specifically trying a sandbox. What am I trying to get out of a sandbox. Cause the reasons for a good sandbox usually come with that motivation, something like showing off a world you made and have in-depth knowledge of that you can use to situate players into their own circumstances. In one such roleplay before we were gods just making the world from scratch, so each player was meant to make their own creations (and that roleplay still ended up quite latching onto a plot at first opportunity).

On the other hand, bad reasons for a sandbox would be those better covered by other forms, or reasons that make mistaken assumptions about other forms of roleplay, or those which boil down to ‘I just couldn’t think of an actual plot’. The first two mean it’s be better to do something else, while the last suggests you’d be better not making the roleplay in the first place.

If one does go with a sandbox roleplay, probably one of the most important factors is GM presence. Leaving the players alone to explore the world without also giving them purpose or direction I think actually gives you more of a duty to then integrate whatever path the players chose to take, and by that I mean you have to be there playing the part of the world, so roleplayers aren’t stuck by themselves if they don’t happen to catch the eye of a more sociable or at least interested player.

That being said, this is not my usual bread and butter and the fandom isn’t one I know either, so take these words with a grain of salt, I’m just going off of my limited experience and what makes sense to me. Even so, some of these issues I am familiar with because they are kind of universally present in group RPs. The open world / sandbox format simply lacks some of the tools other formats use to address those issues, better or worse.

I wish you the best of luck and happy RPing!

Highly improbable to the point I can comfortably say it's impossible.

Roleplayers nowadays need a direction or they do not participate. Whatever the reason for that may be, I say save yourself the stress and perhaps try executing the idea with close friends, as the chance of success is much higher that way.

Otherwise, I would not even attempt it.
Maybe that is why no one likes me or plays with me???

I would like something like that for the openness to each for bringing in what they can of their creativity. I would be contributing from my creativity at any opportunity though I had not started the roleplay thread. Still there would be one who has the basic arrangement set, with some parameters, and most of what would be used in it, and would be in position for guiding it. I still like any openness to a lot more creative contribution. If something for this starts I hope I see it, that I might post my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back