Viewpoint How normal is it for a RP to stall?

Daisie

Strangely regular (better than the usual bizarre!)
Roleplay Type(s)
I've got a friend I'm trying to help out. Now, this is specifically centered around group RPs rather than 1x1s, so I genuinely have no idea what's normal in this case... But if you have any experience with this issue at all, no matter which you play, I'd like to hear it!

My friend is having difficulty keeping his players posting, and I have some questions about it. How normal is this? Is it usually a fight to keep your players active? And I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just for his own sanity's sake, does your players' activity say anything about your skills as a writer?

More importantly, if you've come across similar issues, what have you done to combat this? How do you foster investment in your story?

My suggestion has been to get people excited for their characters. Talk and learn about their characters, and tailor the story around their strengths and weaknesses so that they feel like they've been noticed. The only thing your players can create in your world is their own characters, so they're going to love talking about them and watching them bloom, right?

But I want more than my opinion. If a RP seems to be perpetually stalling, what do you do?

It’s very common, I haven’t don’t groups in a long time but every one one I participated in stalled with about the same frequency of 1x1s.

It is not a personal slight against the GM and has to do with that people rarely have consistent schedules. So getting a group posting consistently is a matter of setting some very realistic expectations and having a lot of patience.

I recommend having time skips scheduled out that keep the narrative moving forward. A lot of why people stop posting is they don’t know how to interact with the current scene.

Also foster a sense of community with your players. The more friendly they are with each other the more invested they will become in keeping the roleplay going.

As every long lasting roleplay I have ever been in (1x1 or group) thrived because I was actually friends with the people involved and we could chat and motivate each other.

Daisie, you need to join group RPs more! Get some experience!

But on your question, yes it's normal to have players not post. It doesn't exactly have to do with someone's skill as a writer, but skill as a facilitator. Because it's not about what a GM wants, it's about what players want. And that takes a good facilitator to figure out. Your suggestion is right, but not every person is like that. Me; I rarely care about the characters I create. I'm mainly looking for conflict in roleplays. Give me an interesting problem/antagonist and I will enjoy RPing to try to oppose them. Others like an intricate story. Others like exploring lore and talking to NPCs. Others like creative themes/scenes/events. Others want to win and overcome. There are things different players want from their RP experience. You have to figure out who wants what.

As GM you cater to the players, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Daisie, you need to join group RPs more! Get some experience!
😆 I'm just not a groups type of person, honest! The fact that I'm in this one is very much an oddity.

Thank you for your input! We could probably use a good chatting session about what would get everyone stoked to post again.
Doesn't help that it's finals week for a lot of folks in college, though.

😆 I'm just not a groups type of person, honest! The fact that I'm in this one is very much an oddity.

Thank you for your input! We could probably use a good chatting session about what would get everyone stoked to post again.
Doesn't help that it's finals week for a lot of folks in college, though.
It’s true about activity dropping because of finals, but the honest truth is people will make time for what they care about. Someone could be too tired to do laundry one night, but still find energy to watch their favorite TV show that same night. It’s a matter of interest. They may not be able to post IC, but if they’re interested, they will peek back in sometimes and be able to answer any questions via messages or OOC.

It sucks to hear that an RP stalls because of low from players (and we like to blame it on other things like lack of time) but it’s mainly a GMs fault. Maybe the story is boring, the RP structure is a mess, or it’s gone on too long. The bright side is understanding that if a GM can control whether these become problems or not.

If I had to pick, I’d say making the story fresh and interesting would be the one to work on. Everything else can be overlooked if the RP is fun enough.

My friend is having difficulty keeping his players posting, and I have some questions about it. How normal is this? Is it usually a fight to keep your players active? And I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just for his own sanity's sake, does your players' activity say anything about your skills as a writer?

Stalling, or as I tend to call it "going into a zombie state" is a pretty common thing for group RPs, and perhaps the most lethal phenomenon for them. In my experience though, it rarely has to do with what the GM did or didn't do - not least because I've seen GMs attempt and I myself have attempted several kinds of different strategies - but rather many of the same issues that plague 1x1s and an increased dependence on more players. Stalling starts off on a small scale, a couple players, and spirals from there either with an increasing number of players locked out because their characters are stuck on a scene with a character that doesn't come back, or lose interest in response to the seeming loss of interest for the first few lurkers. If I were to boil down the reasons as far as I can tell, I would put them something like this:

Life IRL: As in most dead RPs, probably the biggest hitter. Things happen, people get busy, and for group RPs this can start a spiral that's hard to come back from. It's doubly hard when a GM is the one that becomes too busy, especially if said GM holds a lot of authority and is needed to discern elementary things about an RP. RPs with a lot of hidden information, extensive worldbuilding or which require a GM for system reasons are the most vulnerable to this particular kind of issue.

Player Attitudes: It's not a pretty thing to say but player attitudes are an Achilles heel for many RPs. Players joining an RP on a whim only flake out when the initial hype inevitably fades out, players who are incapable of taking initiative on anything and just stop the moment the plot isn't actively pushing their character in a given direction (worse yet when these players either by their writing style or the characters they make end up with a character that does not actively want to engage in the plot and tries to avoid it, creating a situation where they are actively avoiding the thing they need to function at a basic level), players that can't take anything seriously or who get too easily distracted by other hobbies (I can't tell you how many RPs I've been in that died to a new game being released) and commit to those at the expense of the roleplay, players who have entirely unrealistic expectations on their available time or energy etc...

Inter-personal Requirements/Dynamics Breakdown: A rarer but still important cause, and mostly rarer because not all RPs use these kinds of dynamics. An example of these is RPs where players are paired up - even if not directly interacting, if one side of the pairs stops responding this can completely break down the other person's ability to meaningfully contribute or even to post at all. Basically any situation where conceptually players are dependent on each other turns the whole thing into a giant donimo that's vulnerable to things breaking down due to one piece falling over.

Actual Issues with Pacing, Interaction, Etc... : Actual GM-created problems do of course exist. But outside of a few particular cases, from my experience the issue is often not the GM's ways of doing things. That being said, I certainly have seen many issues arise as a result of GMs. GMs trying to be controlling without giving enough leeway or trust to the players, GMs banking too much on mysteries, GMs being too passive or even absent.

On a personal level, it can be a fight to keep players active. Part of that is due to my shortcomings as a DM, at first because I used to be too controlling and rules-heavy, and more recently due to absences which even if temporary can become extremely disruptive to a roleplay. Another part is due to the nature of the kind of RPs I enjoy and run, which are lengthier, slower in post writing and more demanding. While this can work, it's also especially vulnerable to the life circumstances type of issues.

More importantly, if you've come across similar issues, what have you done to combat this? How do you foster investment in your story?

Some of the most successful tactics have been co-gms and leading by example. Keeping an eye out for the OOC is also extremely important, as it's an indicator of the state of the RP. A dead OOC is often an indicator of an RP entering a zombified state.

Investment is a whole other can of worms though I will agree with White Masquerade White Masquerade in regards to the fact that players are quite varied. That being said, rather than necessarily catering for investment, stalling avoidance would be more about meeting some needs (as opposed to wants, though wants and needs can overlap). The aforementioned player who can't take the initiative would naturally need a plot constantly pushing them. A player that becomes too busy needs the opportunity to post frequently and easily so they don't become detached, and to eventually return to form.

Don't get me wrong: It's extremely important for players to feel invested in the RP and its story. That being said, I think stalling is most often caused by factors unrelated to a player's interest in the RP. The most common issue isn't that the player doesn't care about the RP (though those cases do also exist and I would argue there's little you can do about those since they appear to be the result of the person being fickle or uncommited to begin with) but that they can't for one reason or another bring themselves to post before things drag out and spiral out of control.

Well, I can say I agree with and disagree with some of the above points, but given all that has been typed up above, I won't address all the points, so much as typing my own observations and experiences. Having done this for two decades and a couple years added, and I'll say mixes of what is here already are very much correct. In my long time of doing this hobby and joining rp's in the 100's, I'll say stalling and outright death is the Norm. Over the course of all of this I have only had five RP's I've taken place in to reach actual satisfying ends. One was by player hands. All of the rest were auto-resolves when at least half the cast bolted. Of those, one was rather good.

There have been a few trends I have observed that help and a few that hinder and a couple opinions or observations I have developed from one RP too many gone bad. Chiefly those who are prone to dropping out of an RP, its normally not a onetime thing and its why I review the post history of everyone I rp with, or may join, or allow to join a game they or I am running. Usually it's a constant factor with some people, more so gm's who ghost. Given this hobby in general is never taken seriously, these situations happen again and again and again, and there are no repercussions for it.

Some people just simply don't want to commit to the bit, even if they have life happenings going on, it's often the willingness of being able to or actual posting that is the problem. And you just can't keep all of your players, it doesn't matter what you do, how you GM or the plot candies you give players. I'm in right now what amounts to one of the longest termed and successful rp's I've ever been in, and we've lost 3/4ths of the total players, more than a few of which didn't even make a sheet and one of whom that judging by history gets really excited, leaves, rinse and repeats with 5 or 6 more rp's before the month is out. I have seen REALLY good gm's with great drive, ambition and giving players out all the little plot candy, they want, only to have their project die of stillbirth within a couple weeks, or at the very least by the first month to have lost half the player base.

On the flip side I've seen RP's that I wouldn't hold up with any great fanfare and very low effort play at work, to last for a very long time. And in both cases, it seems to be about the core of players you bring around yourself. As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to still water...

Then you have time zones, people who are either in fact (I know one person of note who works crazy ass job hours that ends up being like 12 hour shifts for days in a row) or by claim they are so busy that they can't post more than once every two weeks (yet in some cases play the latest vidya for 8 hours the same day for days in a row), people who are low motivation, people who genuinely need a lot of time to think up a post, or players who pretty much dominated the others, particularly in battles, or in making an OP sheet, all can lead to friction that, unfortunately leads to a passive aggressiveness in the community and kills the rp. This is why I'm up front and direct, it might be "rude" or makes some people feel bad, but whats worse someone going "Yeah this isn't working out cause X" or sitting there not talking in the ooc till the issues become so much that you are miserable the whole time? Life is too damn short to be playing around and I'm getting no younger. These small little differences are just like dealing with people IRL, we all have our own quirks, oddities, we all have our preferences, things we love beyond all measure and hate to the point of being consumed in anger. Or maybe you are a neutral person that doesn't feel strongly about anything...

The point with all that yammering is, people are like jigsaw puzzles throw unto a seamstress's table. They just don't mesh and forcing it can work or it can be pure rage. RP is first and foremost a social hobby, and just like any social activity there are people we really don't want to hang out with, but won't say it, or we find a group that "works". There will always be conflict mind you, but like I say, the best way to tell you got a friend is to have a downright brawl with them or a heated argument and then they or you turn up again in a couple days or hours. Though I know more than a few people that wouldn't agree with that.

What I'm saying is, RP is a social experiment and you'll be searching awhile till you find the one(s) you can mesh with. While its good to be a GM with a plan, while most players are passive and you must be proactive, while you can and want to have unique encounters with strangers (or maybe you don't) or just some friends, there is no silver bullet that won't keep your RP out of the graveyard inside of two weeks to two months. No matter who you are.

So, all I'm saying is, research those you intend to play with, be ready to "commit to the bit", and the vast majority of projects you will get into will for the reasons I laid out or that Idea and WM, they will die. Just do not let that discourage you and continue your search for a core group of players that you can depend on and that you can mesh with. Never expect to get along with everyone or have every project reach a happily ever after. Make an RP if you want to GM as you want to do so. You'll only set yourself up for pain doing otherwise in both cases.

Last edited:
Hoyo Daisie!

As someone who primarily roleplayed in Group environments for the past 20+ years, I can confirm it's completely normal for Group RP's to stall or otherwise feel like they're in danger of failing because of a drop off in activity, or any other reasons. Life happens. Decisions are made. Interests and personal focus changes.

As Agent Smith in the Matrix says, "it is inevitable."

the matrix GIF

Does it say anything about one's skill as a writer if this happens consistently?

Well... Honestly I think it depends. Because the idea that it's happening "consistently" does raise a bit of a red flag for me.

Since nobody can predict or control what happens in the lives of others we have to accept that there's always that unforeseen variable in irl situations which might take someone away from roleplaying.

However, as I've seen happen in many RP's I've been a part of throughout the years, one's skills as a writer can become a variable in whether or not your fellow participants choose to prioritize and make the time to respond to the roleplay. Does it ever mean your skills are the x-factor? No. It's never just you. But you can definitely make yourself a variable in helping nudge them in that direction and help them prioritize the roleplay so they stay involved.

There are several ways to do this (in no particular order):

1) Always construct your posts in a way which sets a hook by the end to draw them into what your character(s) is doing, saying, or experiencing
2) Always construct your posts in a way which directly engages their character(s)
3) Always construct your posts in a way which gives more than it takes
4) Always construct your posts in a way which (if you're not the GM, ask before you do this) constructively adds to the worldbuilding in the moment for the scene in question

The first two are obvious, and you basically said as much yourself in your original post. Always make sure that your own content is interesting and stokes the desire to ask questions and move forward rather than remain static. Always make sure to engage other player's characters since they're there for their own story just as much as everyone else's, and they want to feel like their characters are important and cared for and that they're resonating with other people. A participant who knows their character is loved not just by them is more likely to want to stick around.

For your content to "give more than it takes" means to be mindful of how much of your posted content is geared towards focusing on your character versus focusing on other characters. A ratio of focus, if you will.

At minimum, it should be 50/50. Half of your post is your character speaking, acting, or experiencing something for others to react/respond to, and the other half is your character engaging and responding to what others have said, done, or what they're experiencing.

Ideally, it will be somewhere in the 60/40 to 70/30 range, and will favor focusing on the other participant's characters as opposed to your own.

Since you already know what your character is going to say, do, experience, etc, you can focus more of your efforts, even within your own character's internal dialogue, external dialogue, actions, etc, on the other characters and what's going on around them. Obviously, this doesn't mean you should neglect your own character. But it would nonetheless be wise to ensure that your character's experiences, words, and actions are not overshadowing what's going on around them.

There's only one of you (and more than likely only one main character you control), and there are several other participants to consider.

If your posts focus more on your own singular character than on the numerous other characters who are also involved, you're doing something wrong.

For example, let's say a big battle just took place. One of the other participant's characters had to kill someone they knew from years past who was once their friend, but fell in with the wrong side in this conflict. This character is also known to be proud and always sat straight and tall no matter the situation. They also respect their weapon so much that they never let it touch the floor for even a second. They would always stand it up against the wall, lay it on a table, or somewhere else off the ground where it would be safe and always, always, always within reach in case they ever needed it.

But after this battle they're sitting on an old dead tree stump and slouched forward with their elbows on their knees, there's a thousand yard stare in their eyes, and their weapon is laying in the mud beside the stump just out of reach.

How your character notices and responds to these details, and whether or not they do at all, is everything. Because if they don't notice or respond to these details and just walk up as if it's any other battle and ask, "You good?" how do you think the character's owner will feel? They took the time and energy to set up all those details about who their character is in the posts leading up to this point only for them to be tossed aside and forgotten, and their character's pain treated like it's just post-battle exhaustion.

This is infuriating, and often demoralizing to a role player to go through that kind of effort to set their character(s) up for moments like this only for the moments to fall flat because nobody paid attention to or appreciated/respected their character's pain.

So, prove you paid attention. Prove that you remember the details. Prove that you are aware of what matters to this character and that you respect it.

Have your character notice this character slumped on the stump with their weapon on the ground and out of reach, and instantly freeze, tuning out the noise of any conversations around them. They notice the slouch, and remember the way this character always sat tall and proud. Notice the blank stare, and remember the way they always maintained eye contact and showed focus and resolve. Notice the weapon in the mud out of reach, and how it was never allowed to be out of reach, let alone on the ground, before. They don't need to say anything. They need only turn in that direction and take a deep breath for everyone to understand that your character knows something is very, very wrong.

How do they approach? Front, side, rear? Quickly, slowly? Silently, loudly? When they reach this character, do they wait to be noticed to speak, or do they speak up right away? Do they place a hand on this character and try to shake them out of it, simply lay their hand on the shoulder and say nothing, reach for them but pause and pull away? Do they pick up the weapon and offer it to them? Do they leave it in the mud and out of reach?

Every action and decision made by your character is a demonstration of your focus and attention to detail about who this other character is and what they're going through. And your method of approach to all of it will be a strong variable in how badly the character's owner wants to reply to whatever it is that you do. So, get it right! ;D

Lastly, constructively adding to the worldbuilding is something you'll want to discuss with the GM (if it's not you). If they're open to you doing so, or if you're the GM, then being able to work in little worldly details which drop subtle hints about where everyone needs to go, who they need to talk to, what they should be looking for, etc, is also a major factor in whether or not people will want to continue with the experience.

The less people have to observe and consider as to whether or not it'll be important, the less mentally stimulated they'll be. And if they're not mentally stimulated because the roleplay has devolved into essentially nothing but conversation that's not going anywhere, the more likely they are to ghost.

So, ask the GM (again, if it's not you) if it's okay to occasionally do a bit of worldbuilding. Something simple like everyone's in a field near the edge of a forest, and your character notices signs of a large predatory animal such as a few broken low-hanging tree branches and a few tiny tufts of dark fur which could only belong to said predator, and then warning everyone "we might want to move away from here," and then leaving it to the GM to decide whether or not that predator shows up would be enough to at least stoke that fire of curiosity and give people some mental stimulation.

In all my years of roleplaying I've found that people tend to respond best to an experience which pulls them in a direction rather than leaving them to figure everything out with no assistance. They came into someone else's world to experience a collaborative storytelling adventure, after all. key word, "collaborative." They're not here just for themselves... Hopefully.

Anyway, the more you can construct that sense of pull and get them feeling like "okay, this is going somewhere," and that mystery of "What's next?" the more likely they are to stick around and, again, make the time to involve themselves in the roleplay experience.

At the end of the day we can't rely on the idea that someone will simply "want" to be part of the RP at face value. A cool RP concept and an active partner alone simply aren't enough.

If we want the roleplay to endure the test of time we need them to want to participate so badly that they will make time to involve themselves because the allure of a response is just that strong. And the best ways I've found to do that are outlined above.

Group environments inherently are more difficult to keep alive for the very reason that every player added creates that much more of a disbursement of one's focus. It's why I like smaller groups of 3-6 peeps, max. More than that tends to split my focus a bit too much and I end up making some sacrifices and compromises which sometimes see the player count drop until it's in that 3-6 range anyway.

Hopefully that helps!

Cheers!

- GojiBean

Running a successful roleplay as a game master involves a combination of strategic planning, active engagement, and maintaining a vibrant community. Drawing from the experiences of thriving groups, a few key practices have consistently contributed to their success.

1. Generate Excitement:Begin by creating anticipation for the start of the roleplay (RP). This can be achieved by generating buzz through announcements, teasers, and sneak peeks. Consider having a team of Co-GMs to assist in keeping the momentum going, especially during the initial stages of the RP.

2. Selective Admission Process: Make joining the RP an application-based process. This not only filters out those with superficial interest but also ensures that participants are committed and serious about contributing to the storyline. This approach helps maintain an engaged and dedicated player base.

3. Implement Deadlines and Scene Transitions: Introduce deadlines for scenes to keep the narrative moving forward. This prevents stagnation and encourages players to stay actively involved. Promptly transitioning between scenes maintains the energy and excitement within the RP.

4. Theme-Based Side Stories: Enhance the RP experience by incorporating side stories around themes such as holidays. These diversions add depth to the narrative, providing opportunities for characters to explore different aspects of the world you've created. It also injects creativity and variety into the overall storyline.

5. Regular Recruitment and Pruning: Periodically review and refresh the player roster. Actively recruit new members to infuse new perspectives into the RP. Simultaneously, be prepared to cut dead weight – those who are inactive or no longer contributing. Establish clear and transparent processes for this to prevent players from feeling singled out and create a rejoining process for those whose circumstances change.

6. Considerate Timing: Be mindful of the academic calendar, including school semesters, holidays, and exam periods. Understanding these timelines helps you accommodate players' real-life commitments and prevents unnecessary stress during demanding periods, such as finals.

Incorporating these strategies not only fosters a vibrant and dynamic RP environment but also ensures the longevity and success of your roleplaying community.

I had an RP that was active for over three years. Time skips were my best friend. They help keep everything fresh and interesting!

How normal is this?

It's endemic to text/forum-based roleplaying.

Is it usually a fight to keep your players active?

I wouldn't use the world fight because that implies you and your players are opposing forces. If you mean is a challenge, the answer is extremely conditional. In short, there are all sorts of players and all sorts of game and/or narrative structures. In open world game structures, then it's rarely the responsibility of the GM to keep players active. They typically do so on their own of their own volition. However, in these games, the GM is oft intentionally more laissez faire and rules are generally less strict. In games with a more confined narrative, then it is my belief that one of your goals as a GM should be to consistently create an environment/game that a player wants to return and post in.

Roleplaying is fundamentally a hobby for enjoyment, not a duty or responsibility. There may be waxes and wanes to just how enjoyable playing a character is based on the situation--especially in a long-term campaign--but it should never be allowed to reach a point that it becomes something that a player just dreads or a chore.

does your players' activity say anything about your skills as a writer?

Writer? No. You could a wonderful writer, but have absolutely no ability to keep a story interesting or engaging. Your literary skills and/or ability to create something that is interesting and/or engaging to read as a reader does not translate to being able to do so for a game meant to be "played" in.

Your "writing skills" on a literary basis are wholly separate from the skills required to GM.

Roleplaying is a social activity. These games are social constructs. Your leadership, your ability to create scenes in which you understand the actions available to players/characters, and your overall ability to add layers of gratification continuous play are all more about game theory or psychology than they are just plain writing.

Beyond just that notion, there are other hurdles to overcome I won't touch on here. For example, some players highly value their character autonomy and identity. No matter how long a game goes on, they may effectively wish to play their character exactly as they wrote them on day one. This essentially eliminates a lot of character growth and progression we would strive for as writers, but would in this case be a necessary thing to accept to continue writing with that player if it is their preference.

what have you done to combat this?

This varies wildly on the type of game I would be running. There is no universal answer. And, honestly, that probably is a great starting point for my actual answer.

You need to be open-minded about the different structures for roleplaying and different approaches there are to building a game. There is no one right answer. Some people will only find a style of roleplaying with some methods and rules they are comfortable with and stick with that their entire time in the hobby. Others will adapt and try various forms, learning the pros and cons to each, so on and so forth. Ultimately, you will figure out the style and structure of the specific game in question, then determine your next steps.

I don't like to run open-world games, so I don't. One of the reasons is that when this exact scenario occurs, you have pretty limited options to help without changing the state of the game as a whole.

Since we're pretty narrowly targeting text-based games and I've eliminated open-world as an option, I'll go over some of the things I do to continuously promote engagement.

It all starts with the beginning. Whether or not I am part of character creation, I'll review a sheet or a character and look for elements either specific or general that I can use for later. Every sheet is a resource. It is an index of interesting character bits that you can use to your advantage. This tactic works best with more intricate or detailed characters with clear or even multi-faceted ambitions, but even in the worst-case scenario, it gives you something. As a GM, it also doesn't hurt to take this time to see if a player would let you plant some creative "seeds" that may seem benign at first that don't affect the themes of a character, but grow into hooks you can use later. You always want to do your best to preserve a character identity, so long as it doesn't conflict with your game/world.

From that point, I have found the greatest success in choosing to use a variety of techniques to progress the plot or world. For large-scale plot elements, sometimes you can't really make it personal to a character even if it is relevant or important. Yet, you need those to progress a story (sometimes). So, you intermingle some personal plot threads here for a character, and sometimes those of other characters. You figure out ways to weave a narrative using the threads all of these player characters give you and if you do it right, you end up with a fabric that binds everyone and keeps their attention even when the spotlight isn't on them.

Something important to know is that other player-characters to a GM can be great tools for engagement. You may not control the characters, but you do mostly control the environment and flow of events. Sculpt those events in such a way that the characters become important to each other, even if only temporarily or for an objective. It doesn't have to be positive. Let them hate each other. Let them be rivals. Let them try to literally murder the other. These negative interactions may not always be suitable, but knowing they can be an option is certainly useful. More so, even if they complete their objective and have no reason to further care about the other, they now have a shared history and that in and of itself can be a useful tool.

How do you foster investment in your story?

I just listed some above-mentioned methods, but specifically in regards to a story, I try to make powerful shared events in the narrative. I personally get my best results from creating a game/world with a preset history that at least has some shared story beats. That way, there is generally always something that characters can relate to. It's easiest to build up when you've laid a solid foundation.

My suggestion has been to get people excited for their characters. Talk and learn about their characters, and tailor the story around their strengths and weaknesses so that they feel like they've been noticed. The only thing your players can create in your world is their own characters, so they're going to love talking about them and watching them bloom, right?

There is a fair amount that I don't agree with here and for various reasons.

First, just to get the simple part out of the way, in open-world games or anything where you're allowed a lot of creative liberty, players do in fact get to create more than their own characters.

More applicative is what I mean beyond that.

A good player creates far more than their own character. Reason being is that characters are people and people in general can have a lot of influence. Every person they ever meet, every interaction they have, every enemy they fell--everything they do has an impact. For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. If the world is a living thing, it is constantly reacting to every other living thing on it and all of these interactions are ultimately shared.

Characters are tools. They are the chisels that a player can use to help sculpt the world. A good player can create far more than what is listed on a sheet and a good character is far more than the sum of their sheet.

With that said, I believe it is a balancing act of creating periods where the strengths and weaknesses of a character may matter, but also periods where it may not solely because it is a time for a different character to shine. This is a group endeavor, after all. The balancing act here is in making sure every character gets their times to shine. Furthermore, by making characters care and become invested about other characters, the players by proxy may find interest in seeing what is occurring with other characters. Even in a scene or arc where their character isn't exactly MC material, the way that story impacts someone or something they care about can still be compelling in a meaningful way.

If a RP seems to be perpetually stalling, what do you do?

Simple. Figure out why. Until I can develop a plan that actually productively fixes a problem or makes an adjustment in a positive manner, I'm not going to just up and do anything. Stop-gap measures are why stalling often becomes perpetual.

Stalling, or as I tend to call it "going into a zombie state" is a pretty common thing for group RPs, and perhaps the most lethal phenomenon for them.

Truth.

Life IRL: As in most dead RPs, probably the biggest hitter. Things happen, people get busy, and for group RPs this can start a spiral that's hard to come back from. It's doubly hard when a GM is the one that becomes too busy, especially if said GM holds a lot of authority and is needed to discern elementary things about an RP. RPs with a lot of hidden information, extensive worldbuilding or which require a GM for system reasons are the most vulnerable to this particular kind of issue.

Roleplay is a hobby. Hobbies always come second. If the GM goes dormant, the RP is effectively dead. If not, it's an open world kept alive by the players and the GM likely was just a figurehead or hardly necessary anyway.

Most people are roleplaying to spend time with friends or to be part of something bigger. If you're roleplaying with your friends exclusively and you've got that tight-knit little community, dealing with these stalls can be hard. It's very difficult to make judgement calls about friends or decisions that may upset someone you care about OOC.

On the other hand, if the only thing you care about is the success of your game, then my suggestion is to have a back-up plan for virtually anyone and everyone dropping. A game is only truly dead when the GM gives up. Now, whether or not you can conjure the engagement and interest to revitalize a game is a wholly separate topic, but determination can be a key factor in survival.

A GM is a leadership role and sometimes leaders make tough decisions they don't want to make. It just comes with the territory.

Player Attitudes: It's not a pretty thing to say but player attitudes are an Achilles heel for many RPs. Players joining an RP on a whim only flake out when the initial hype inevitably fades out, players who are incapable of taking initiative on anything and just stop the moment the plot isn't actively pushing their character in a given direction (worse yet when these players either by their writing style or the characters they make end up with a character that does not actively want to engage in the plot and tries to avoid it, creating a situation where they are actively avoiding the thing they need to function at a basic level), players that can't take anything seriously or who get too easily distracted by other hobbies (I can't tell you how many RPs I've been in that died to a new game being released) and commit to those at the expense of the roleplay, players who have entirely unrealistic expectations on their available time or energy etc...

Yeah, again, roleplaying is a secondary hobby. If you can make a player care about it enough, you might be able to convince them to squeeze out a mediocre post while another hobby is distracting them. Ultimately, though, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. You also can teach time management skills, I'm afraid. This also falls into the above mentioned thing about making tough decisions you may not want to.

Actual Issues with Pacing, Interaction, Etc... : Actual GM-created problems do of course exist. But outside of a few particular cases, from my experience the issue is often not the GM's ways of doing things. That being said, I certainly have seen many issues arise as a result of GMs. GMs trying to be controlling without giving enough leeway or trust to the players, GMs banking too much on mysteries, GMs being too passive or even absent.

So here, there is no correct answer here. Compatibility is multi-faceted, too. For example, a GM may run two different games wildly different because they were designed to be. On the other hand, one game designed in a similar way may end up being ran quite different by two different GM's. A player needs to find both a game structure they like being ran by a GM they can deal with. You can always say "the GM designed the game, thus are responsible" but that's not always true. At the end of the day, a GM is just another person like a player is. How they approach any given situation might be wildly different. Alternatively, they may also be using a pre-designed system.

Regardless, the thing I urge here is open-minded understanding. Something may not be for you, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. It also doesn't make it lesser. There is a wealth of RP's out there and what matters most is figuring out which one and which leadership style works with you. Some people are rigid, some people are flexible, but their goal is the same: to find a mutual game they can enjoy.

Chiefly those who are prone to dropping out of an RP, its normally not a onetime thing and its why I review the post history of everyone I rp with, or may join, or allow to join a game they or I am running.

This is in fact a lesson I learned, in no small part with Red watching as I did.

Over the course of all of this I have only had five RP's I've taken place in to reach actual satisfying ends. One was by player hands. All of the rest were auto-resolves when at least half the cast bolted. Of those, one was rather good.

I intend to change these statistics.

1) Always construct your posts in a way which sets a hook by the end to draw them into what your character(s) is doing, saying, or experiencing
2) Always construct your posts in a way which directly engages their character(s)
3) Always construct your posts in a way which gives more than it takes
4) Always construct your posts in a way which (if you're not the GM, ask before you do this) constructively adds to the worldbuilding in the moment for the scene in question

After reading the explanations, I agree that all of these are pretty solid. The only one I think might be semi-situational here is #4. The reason being is that if you've done everything right and you hit a climatic moment, you may end up not actually adding anything to the plot or the world because for that brief, beautiful moment, you're at the apex. All that you intended to add has been added. All that you wanted to build came to fruition. Sometimes you just gotta stop and enjoy the view.

So, prove you paid attention. Prove that you remember the details. Prove that you are aware of what matters to this character and that you respect it.

I agree with this point to such an extend that you may not only want to hype it yourself (in OOC, even, perhaps), but encourage others to do so. Creating a positive environment of acknowledging these moments is part of the social aspect of roleplaying that really differentiates it from just writing. Notably, I am referring to all of the context Goji mentioned before this moment because I think it all ties together to illustrate an amazing, but often overlooked point.

Never forget, you can set a precedent that creates a long term echo positivity--GM or not.

Every action and decision made by your character is a demonstration of your focus and attention to detail about who this other character is and what they're going through. And your method of approach to all of it will be a strong variable in how badly the character's owner wants to reply to whatever it is that you do. So, get it right!

Another thing about the writing style Goji is pushing for here is that is significantly more engaging. The additional detail help to create a more cinematic scene and can allow more detailed, specific nuances to be conveyed.

What I will tell you though here from experience is that this can sometimes overwhelm some players. Too much of a "charge" in a scene can either be intimidating on a literary level to try and match or almost be akin to sensory overload, as it's been explained to me. While I personally love to see this type of reaction made, I've heard sound enough arguments that may not be for everyone. This could become a compatibility check between people, and there's no shame in that.

So, ask the GM (again, if it's not you) if it's okay to occasionally do a bit of worldbuilding.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

If you can cultivate a two-way street of letting players make some additions/editions to the world and they can let you plant some seeds of potential as I was describing earlier, you will end up with much more powerful ties between the character and world as well as foster a better connection to the player. The degree of this is wholly up to personal preference and some people aren't comfortable with it at all, but this can be an amazing tool.

I've found that people tend to respond best to an experience which pulls them in a direction rather than leaving them to figure everything out with no assistance.

I felt this should go without saying, but unless you are intentionally writing a hyper-detailed scene wherein the point is at the time for the characters to have to figure out what to do, you want to lead them in a direction. You don't want to railroad them, but guidance through indirect means is like grease to the wheels. And, even if you're doing something like the situation I listed above, it shouldn't probably be a one-time thing, and it shouldn't be done early in the game.
1. Generate Excitement:Begin by creating anticipation for the start of the roleplay (RP). This can be achieved by generating buzz through announcements, teasers, and sneak peeks. Consider having a team of Co-GMs to assist in keeping the momentum going, especially during the initial stages of the RP.

2. Selective Admission Process: Make joining the RP an application-based process. This not only filters out those with superficial interest but also ensures that participants are committed and serious about contributing to the storyline. This approach helps maintain an engaged and dedicated player base.

3. Implement Deadlines and Scene Transitions: Introduce deadlines for scenes to keep the narrative moving forward. This prevents stagnation and encourages players to stay actively involved. Promptly transitioning between scenes maintains the energy and excitement within the RP.

4. Theme-Based Side Stories: Enhance the RP experience by incorporating side stories around themes such as holidays. These diversions add depth to the narrative, providing opportunities for characters to explore different aspects of the world you've created. It also injects creativity and variety into the overall storyline.

5. Regular Recruitment and Pruning: Periodically review and refresh the player roster. Actively recruit new members to infuse new perspectives into the RP. Simultaneously, be prepared to cut dead weight – those who are inactive or no longer contributing. Establish clear and transparent processes for this to prevent players from feeling singled out and create a rejoining process for those whose circumstances change.

6. Considerate Timing: Be mindful of the academic calendar, including school semesters, holidays, and exam periods. Understanding these timelines helps you accommodate players' real-life commitments and prevents unnecessary stress during demanding periods, such as finals.

These are all just flatly valid with the only comment I really have being on #5. I think active recruitment is one of those conditional things that varies game to game. Sometimes, you just want your core group of solid players to get to the end. Sometimes, you got a massively-expanding open world. Sometimes, a game has gone so long it's really hard to get in new people. Sometimes, it's hard for those people to get into it. Of course, sometimes you need to recruit to keep your player count just high enough to keep the party dynamic where you want it.

I have read all of the former replies and I have a few more personal pieces of advice after these have inspired me more.

The first is something I think I've said repeatedly and I just cannot stress enough. There is no one way to RP and no best way to do it. Sometimes, those preferences do not align and that's okay. You cannot win every battle. You cannot convince every person to enjoy your game. It is not a failure if your best simply cannot entertain someone. They may not want better, they may just want different.

There are two important lessons to learn from that.

The first is in noticing and acknowledging these differences will give you an opportunity to learn from them. You can understand others better, true, but you can also understand yourself and what you really enjoy more. You can find your limits; what you are and aren't flexible on. You might find something you're weak at but want to work on. You may find a hard limit you will never overcome. Most importantly, you'll come out of these experiences with a better idea of what you enjoy. With that, you will know what to look for as both a player and build as a GM.

The second is that not every loss is a failure and not every failure is a mistake. Sometimes, things don't work out due to irreconcilable differences--and that's okay. Don't discouraged and don't get negative. Don't hate on the people you're not compatible with, either. You can't please everybody all of the time, but luckily, you don't have to. A small handful of people is often enough to make something great.

A second point here comes from my method of world-building and GM'ing. I treat the setting and plot as if it were a living world. Effectively, it is its own character. Many people treat the setting as a canvas for the characters. It is the medium by which the players paint their story.

Those approaches are wildly different.

With a living world, it is often created first and may be edited or altered to some degree as players come in with new content, but is intended to be this dynamic setting that is a constant push and pull with the characters in it. Treating the world itself with the same regard as a personal character results in systems often being more finely tuned, rules being more rigid, settings having more context, world-building being far more in depth. This has pros and cons. It may limit creative liberties, but give birth to new ingenuity within a confined system. It rewards a different type of creativity.

With a canvas world, it might be created at first or just made up as you go. It's dynamic in a different way; it's often far more flexible and the GM can more easily decide when it pushes or how it pulls the characters involved. This is where character-driven plots thrive. This is where GM's that are more in tune with the social elements of the game really shine. Adjustments to systems, like magic or politics can be made on the fly. World-building here is often more horizontal than vertical. It has its own pros and cons and is far more player friendly.

These are more subjective ways to view GM'ing methods, admittedly, but when I say that there are styles and structures, this train of thought is where I end up.

So, how to help stalls and slow-downs?

Know your players. Evaluate what's wrong. Know what you and they enjoy and use your best judgement to figure out if you can do anything to increase that. If not, maybe some hard decisions are in order.

I'm a fan of solving problems before they occur. The best solution is prevention. The earlier you start and the sooner you have a plan, the better. That starts at creation. A strong start isn't necessarily one that goes fast and burns out after that initial hype train. It's one that sets you up for the long term, whether that's just going on for as long as you can or reaching your desired ending.

It's pretty normal. Just go with the flow and try to implement some movement into the story when you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back