Other How about a non-profit organization that...

Zombocalypse

Quintessential Badboy
How about a non-profit organization that is dedicated to providing access to video games to all people in the world?

I have strong feelings about this. Growing up poor, I know what it's like to not have the toys I desired as a kid. I never got to own a PS2 in the PS2/Xbox eras and I only got myself a PS3 when the PS4 was already in its golden age.

I also had experience in a campus setting where a bunch of arseholes, out of spite, excluded me from their video game sessions while letting everyone else play. It's painful. It breaks my heart.

But it seems like this idea may just die because no one seems to have the motivation to start such a thing. Aren't we already advanced enough to the point where we can provide basic necessities to other people effortlessly? Isn't it time to THINK BIGGER?

Imagine that. Go to a third world country and make it a goal to provide video games to families who otherwise can't afford one. And television too!

Just my thoughts... I have no idea how one would even start such a journey.

Personally, I think that having video games and television is more of a luxury rather than a necessity and it isn't prioritised in third world countries. Also, if we're being realistic about this, then it would cost a lot of funding and effort. Though, some people do what you're talking about but on a much smaller scale.

"Aren't we advanced enough to the point where we can provide basic necessities effortlessly?"

No. No we are not. There are many complications with it, from shipping costs to making sure the food is in good conditions when it arrives, to the problem with countries that aren't receptive to foreigners or foreign aid. The biggest issue, however, is one of will. Even if miraculously had a sustainable way to provide everyone with all the food they need (a goal which becomes increasingly complicated as the population increases, not to mention the matter of non-renewable resources and pollution) , you'd still have to convince millions or billions of people who don't normally offer much of at all to charity to start doing so, or otherwise convince companies to take a huge cut to their profit margin for the sake of charity.

But let's say we somehow got past all of that, and basic necessities could indeed be endlessly supplied as necessary to those third world countries. There's still a LOT more that they need with a vast priority over video games or anything like that. Proper healthcare, housing and education. Emotional and psychological assistance. And let's it forget such assistance for first world countries as well.

Even if your initiative went through and we didn't have to worry about any of that, I'm not sure the people would actually be any happier. Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning people would want these games... but when it comes to products like this, there's new ones coming up all the time. Even if you had the resources to you'd never be able to keep up with the ver-changing supply...nor the ever-changing demand of some people. But in reality you do have limitations on resources, which means you'd be supplying game half the people might just not want to play. Plus, even if the entertainment isn't as advanced, would t really feel like so monumental an improvement to their lives as to justify the resources brought into pouring this?

Everything that I could've said has already been said. If we were to look for the "next step" in making video games more accessible I'd suggest a handheld console (like the gameboy) being made that is ridiculously cheap that can be mass produced with very cheap games. That way it can be mass produced in countries like India. But for a company to do something like that it'd have to make sure that there is a market for it though. And video games just aren't on the minds of everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back