• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
> Mari: Update friends

This doesn't seem like anyone you know... or maybe you're wrong! But who else's home would you be in? But first... maybe you should let them know what has happened, or at least that you're ok!

GA: umm hi everyone!!
GA: sorry that ive been so quiet
GA: i got super distracted with exploring
GA: a lot happened but ummmm
GA: tl;dr some people here need our help to kill this thing called The Emperor but we have to get stronger first
GA: i went to explore this big tower and ran into it!! it was huge and managed to slice the tower in half...
GA: and i got knocked out and woke up somewhere else

GA: i dont know where i am but im going to take a look around and see if i can find anyone!

Alright. Update done. Now...

> Mari: Look around the house for any sign of life

===>

Damn. That thing is just gonna get stronger the more and more you allow the pitch underlings to proliferate. You EQUIP your BANDOLIER. Looks like it's time to get to work. You feel frozen in place as you behold the SHEER MASS of that thing. G-god.....n-n-no.....that's.....you grip your hands into clenched fists to calm yourself. You have to face this. Everybody else is probably facing their own challenges right now, and you need to face this one. You steel your nerves, and take a running start. You slip on your GOAT SKULL MASK.

The GICLOPS is luckily so massive that it's easy to sneak by and outmaneuver. You extend a hand and your VINE GLOVES do the rest of the work, tethering to the TIBIA and pulling you straight up. Underlings are beginning to gather en masse around the GICLOPS as it feels a non pitch entity scurrying about its bones. Another hand reaches upward and lassos itself around the HIP. More underlings begin to crawl and you rush to try and outspeed them. You reach the LUMBAR portion of the spine and as the GICLOPS REACHES AROUND, trying in vain to swat at you as you duck behind its HUGE, PILLAROUS COLUMN of vertebrae, you strap as many BARBABOMBS as you can to the base.

Time to climb.

You lunge forward, a vine outstretching and lassoing a LOWER RIB. You swing and managed to land atop a hand that was reaching for you. You LAD SCURRY up the length of the RADIUS until you reach the HUMERUS. The left hand goes to grab and CRUSH you, but not before you tie your CRYSTALINE ROPE around the SCAPULA and FLY DOWNWARDS to the earth. The thread is long, and IMPOSSIBLY durable. You run around the beast's ANKLES, forming a loop a few times, a gaggle of LICHES noticing you as they begin to give chase. The thread has too much slack to do much just yet, and as you go, you don't have nearly enough strength to pull the CORD. As you run for your life, you flag down an OGRE. That's right! Come and get me! Just gotta gr-AH!

The ogre grabs you and YANKS you forward, unwittingly aiding in its SKELETAL BROTHER'S demise. You pull out a remote, and push the button to detonate.

===> Saul: Detonate

Last edited:
> Be Bria

You almost instantly recognize that you hold the other lens the robot is lacking. Though you do wonder how it got left so far away. There are mechanical parts littering the floor, but a piece as recognizable as the bright red eye of the bot ended up in a library far away? It’s strange. Strange enough that you barely notice the odd shift in color the gate goes through.

> Attempt to Fix Robot

You gather together the broken bits of the bot. While the lens you had grabbed earlier had an obvious spot the rest is… much less so. You do your very best to lay everything out in an orderly fashion. Leg-ish things below, arms-like joints to the side… After sorting through everything you attempt to reconnect the pieces. Though that might require mechanical prowess you unfortunately regret.

'tude.
> Rudy: Descend tower.

You reach the bottom of the BROADCASTING TOWER.

Similar to a scene your friend SAUL saw (though you don't know that), you are standing at the edge of a large CRATER, sans-village. At the center of the crater you see the Second gate formed from DARK RED light, but as you approach it flickers before turning a more familiar INDIGO. However, before you can reach FULL SPRINT into the gate, a strange DARK WRITHING... SHAPE(?) lands on the ground between you and your goal.

The toroidal mass SHIFTS and WARPS into a more humanoid form, tendrils and ICHOR dripping from its "body." It's considerable size compresses into one that is only a bit larger than you or your friends.
???: uh...
???: hi.
???: you're mr. roller right?

???: ... calling you that feels weird.

... what.

> Mari: Look around the house for any signs of life.

You explore the MYSTERIOUS HOUSE.

As you exit the LYNCHIAN BEDROOM you notice that the rest of the house doesn't quite seem to match its aesthetic. The place is absent of any horror-esque imagery, (though it does have a second, even larger DOG BED) instead taking on a much more FAMILY-FRIENDLY visage, almost IRONICALLY SO. You see a door leading to some ADDITION built onto the house labeled "ANIMAL SANCTUARY" but to your immense dissatisfaction, it is LOCKED. You see a window in the kitchen granting a view of the fenced-in BACKYARD.

You see another PENTAGRAM draw in the grass, a GOAT lying on its side in the center, covered in a RED FLUID

You run out the back door to help the poor creature, but as you approach you see it is PERFECTLY FINE. You hear a sigh from behind you.
???: Cut.

The GOAT stands up and shakes all the FAKE BLOOD off of itself as you turn to see a figure standing off to the side behind a large MOVIE CAMERA.
???: Ms. p what are you doing here?
???: She isn't here today.
???: ...

???: You're not ms. prescot.

You see a young girl, no older than you, with some SERIOUS 'TUDE about her.

What is going on here?

> Saul: Detonate.

The explosives DETONATE, completely destroying the SKELETAL GICLOPS'S [33/50] LEFT ARM and RIBS. It lurches over before letting our a ROAR, dark TENDRILS of it's viscous mass stretching out in every direction from its WOUND. As the tendrils crash into underlings, it CONSUMES them and adds them to its form. Once the 50th Underling has been amassed, it undergoes a frightening metamorphosis.

It's NAME TAG flickers and glitches as it's bones crack and reform. Eyes and mouths appear along its body like an ELDRITCH HORROR, it's left shoulder sprouting a flail-like series of BARBED FLAGELLA. A dull purple FLAME burns along small patches of its body.

The SKELETAL GICLOPS transforms into the DESPAIR HECATONCHEIRES. A small HEALTH METER appears at the top of your vision to signify its status as MINI-BOSS.

> Bria: Marvel at your handiwork.

Yeah, this is a meaningless pile of NONSENSE. You have no idea how to BUILD A ROBOT. At least the RED LENS is in the right place. Kiyo or Saul might be better equipped for this, heck you could probably even try and fix it using ALCHEMY.

A voice tells you that you can take it. The Burdened Quintessent stands at the top of the stairs, looking over the parts. She has no use for them, if you can figure out how to fix it, by all means. It's yours.

Last edited:
> Rudy: Uhhh

You stare at the strange.... Blob.. For a good few seconds... You were ready to fight, until it... became...

...A dude..?

Ish, well, in shape anyways. You don't know their preferred pro-nouns and what not.

Well this is abit awkward, what do you say to this one?

CD was the dude going along performing his introduction with dropping @^#%$^ onto basilisk's and stuff.

This one plopped outta nowhere. The young man puts away his weapons, leans back abit, scans over the strange person standing before him, considering each and every single word that it was saying from it's... not.. Mouth... And then, with most certainty, spoke.

Rudy: I mean, uhh, yea bro.
Rudy: Only ever get called that if i'm in trouble at school but uhh whatever yea want.
Rudy:...So yea you...Uhhh....
Rudy: Just livin' life here yea?
Rudy: Comin' through portals and bein all wispy n' stuff?

???: i can't believe your really here.
???: i was starting to think the six of you would never show up.
???: ... you are all here right?

Rudy: I mean, yea?
Rudy: Mari, Bria, Saul, Lacy, Kiyo and ya boi.
Rudy: All here playin' this wierd dang game bro.
Rudy: Ending the world too I guess, O.G really got it out for us there.
Rudy: Legit I'm just pushin to keep the bad vibes away.
Rudy:...So.. uhh...
Rudy: You okay there?

???: i'm fine.
???: it's just... a lot to take in.
???: the chariot told us that they found one of you on losdai so i thought you might have arrived.

Rudy: It's cool, take your time.
Rudy: Yea... So... Uhh...
Rudy: Well, yea know me, an' you ain't tryna smack me around so.. Uhh...
Rudy: Friends?

???: ... about that...
???: we know you're here now...
???: i have to get back to work.
???: unfortunately...
???: i'm the bad guy

Rudy: Bummer

> Mari: Help the goat!!!

You rush over, pausing for a moment in confusion. It's okay...? That's good! That's good that it's okay, but why was it...

Ah. Movie magic.

You turn to the voice.

???: Ms. p what are you doing here?
???: She isn't here today.

???: You're not ms. prescot.
MARI: ...
MARI: huh??
MARI: im- what...

You shake your head slightly to get your thoughts in order

MARI: Ms. Prescot?
MARI: Did you mean an old lady?? Is my nan here???
???: No, that'd be weird.

???: Just hanging out at one of her student's houses.
???: Who are you?
???: Why are you in my backyard?
???: And more importantly...

???: Did ms. p have a second granddaughter she kept secret from everyone?
MARI:

MARI:
MARI: what
MARI: who are you??? why am i in your backyard???
MARI: ok well
MARI: if this is your house then you must be as confused as i am hehe
MARI: But my nan was your teacher...?? I dont remember her ever mentioning anything like that...

MARI: My name is Mari Prescot. It's nice to meet you!
???: So you are a prescot then.

???: But why would ms. p hide you away all these years...
???: You've got to be the product of a torrid love affair.
???: Only explanation worth considering, really.

???: Nice to meet you, secret lovechild.

She gives the goat a loving pat.

RYAN: I'm ryan roller, and this here is billy dee williams.
MARI: It's nice to meet you ryan, billy!
MARI: Um... so you didnt know i was here?
RYAN: Nope.

RYAN: You walking on my set is the first time i've ever seen you.
RYAN: You must've snuck into town in the back of ms. p's car the last time she visited the tower she obviously locks you up in so that no-one finds out about you.
MARI: um

MARI: you have a very active imagination hehe
MARI: i didnt grow up in a tower and i didnt sneak here in a car
MARI: i woke up here in one of the bedrooms after um...
MARI: i almost died i guess?

MARI: i guess this is earth again, isnt it?
RYAN: I'm not going to be invested in the story if it isn't interesting.

RYAN: Wait.
RYAN: What do you mean again?
MARI: Um... It's sort of a long story.
MARI: I'm happy to explain it! Just... this is earth right?
RYAN: .It should be...?
RYAN: Where were you before you showed up here?

You do your best to explain to Ryan what happened that day, from starting the game, to Tomboysprite, to the stranger in the alley... Talking about it makes you realize how crazy everything has been!

RYAN: ...
RYAN: FUCK.

Ryan kicks over the expensive looking FILM CAMERA.

RYAN: How could i forget where i was?
RYAN: It's this stupid place.
MARI: Umm
MARI: Could you explain what you mean? Did you play the game too?
RYAN: Yeah!

RYAN: We were playing the game when that... thing attacked us.
RYAN: Next thing i know i'm back home, but not really.
RYAN: This place...
RYAN: It messes with your head, makes you forget stuff.

RYAN: It's like a dream sequence or something, like the director is just doing whatever they want with the scene.
MARI: Oh!!

MARI: Thats very unfortunate...
MARI: Well, ill help you remember as much as i need to then!

MARI: but was that stuff you said before about my nan and another prescot true? or was that part of the... directors script to go along with what you were saying?
RYAN: Huh?

RYAN: No, this is just a memory.
RYAN: Ms. p is real, she lived a few blocks away.
RYAN: I'm friends with her granddaughter, sara.

RYAN: She was one of the six of us playing the game.
MARI: Sara???

MARI: i never knew a sara, let alone had a sister named sara
MARI: hmmm
MARI: this is strange...

MARI: do you know if you can reach your friends?
RYAN: Yeah, i tried that.

RYAN: None of them are online, and their houses aren't where they're supposed to be.
RYAN: I mean, just look over there.

Ryan opens the FENCE GATE and points across the street where a UNCANNILY BLANK LOT sits.

RYAN: Mayview lived right across the street, so where'd his house go?
RYAN: This place isn't one to one with the real blackbrine.
MARI: hmmm

MARI: I bet if we work together we can find your friends!
MARI: im playing the game with 5 of my friends, maybe theyve run into one of them in the time ive been out!

MARI: what do you think?
RYAN: I don't think so.

RYAN: If i'm in a weird dream i bet they were put in one too.
RYAN: What planet were you on?
MARI: the land of brew, energy, and fireworks!
MARI: if i managed to end up here, then we should be able to find their dream worlds too!
RYAN: That's what i thought.

RYAN: It probably has to do with where you are.
RYAN: Lobeaf was my planet too, so i guess that's why you're in my dream.

RYAN: You might be able to find the others by sleeping on their worlds too.
MARI:

MARI: wack?
MARI: the only issue i didnt exactly... go to sleep.
MARI: knocked out is more appropriate. although maybe itll work either way
MARI: only one way to find out!!

MARI: but if i am in your dream...

You pinch yourself, but nothing happens. You don't feel anything.

RYAN: What are you doing?
MARI: arent you supposed to wake up from a dream if you pinch yourself?
RYAN: No, that's just to know if you're asleep.
RYAN: how would pinching a dream version of yourself with no nervous system wake your physical body?
MARI:

MARI:
MARI: you make a good point.
MARI: i hadnt thought about it before hehe

MARI: i guess while im here... do you mind if i ask what attacked you and your friends?
RYAN: Faraday, probably.

RYAN: That thing always creeped me out.
RYAN: I'd bet a boonmint that its what caused all of this.
MARI: Faraday?
RYAN: It's-

RYAN: You know what?
RYAN: It'd be better to show you.

RYAN: Here.

She pulls out a TRICKED-OUT BICYCLE W/ SPOKES from her sylladex and ride it into the street.

RYAN: Hop on.

> Mari: Hop on

===> Saul: Engage

The thing's massive ROAR makes you cover your ears as a few weaker support beams to the rooftops of the village buildings begin to crumble. The HECHATONCHAIRES' massive tendrils lash out at you, each roughly the width of a small car. You very narrowly dodge and let the tendrils slam into and burn/tarnish a block of wooden houses. Each of its footsteps shakes the earth beneath it. You immediately HIDE, running to the very perimeter of the village as it crushes a few wayward homes in its slow if thorough investigation to find you. The purple fire igniting its body makes it a terrible idea to try your VINE SWINGING skills of it. Scaling the colossus is totally out of the picture, same for trying to trip it given there's no underlings around, let alone one that could match that behemoth's sheer strength. You don't have the strength either to throw your bombs at any of the beast's vitals.....and if you get too close to those tendrils its sayonara mortal coil.

Think, damn you, think! There has to be some kind of way for you beat this goliath....

Wait.....Goliath.....david and.....you look down at your CRYSTALINE ROPE and smile.

===> Saul: Plot

The behemoth of a creature lumbers about for a few more minutes, destroying everything in its path as you ducked into alleyways and successfully let it enter a bit of contemplation. It has lost you, for now. A SOUND however begins to echo through the vacant alleyways and recently made debris of the village.

♪ By night, she's just a normal girl.....

Living life, in her own normal world.....

But by day, a strange transformation occurs!

She is-

ES
PER
I
TO!!!!!!! ♪

The mildly catchy lyrics of a POP BALLAD echo through the streets and alert the Hechatonchires immediately. Snarling, it approaches trampling everything in its wake as tendrils destroy rooftops before the feet even have to do any work. It rips the roof off of a once MANORLY ESTATE and its eyes narrow in menace to a SAUL SHAPED FIGURE sitting idly amidst the roofless debris, a HOLO WATCH playing a rerun of your favorite show. Its eyes narrow in menace, and with a giant foot it CRUSHES the figure into the ground with little effort. Sadly, for all those eyes, it didn't recognize SAUL from an EMPTY POTATO SACK FILLED WITH STRAW and your T SHIRT COVERING IT. As its foot makes contact with the earth, it detonates the hidden PLANT CHARGES underneath. The several charges intertwine as now MASSIVE forms of plant tendrils grow from the earth, intertwining themselves with the beast's ANKLE and then pinning themselves to it with MASSIVE THORNS.

> Now I've heard of Jack and the Beanstalk, but this is a little ridiculous

The Despair Hechatonchires elicits a GIANT burst of ELDRITCH FLAME from its foot, burning away at the plant tendrils immediately. And you, the REAL Saul, begin your assault in the distance. With each of your GRENADES attached at the pin to some of your CRYSTALINE THREAD, you have fashioned a MAKESHIFT SLING. Countless grenades are tossed seemingly ineffectively at the the ground between yourself and the giant, doing surprisingly no damage. The Hechatonchires looks behind itself, eyes shifting grotesquely to see a SCARWNY, TERRIFIED NERD wearing unpinned OVERALLS and a WIFE BEATER. It snarls in frustration at being tricked, and then the HUNDRED ARMED SURGE begins. With just enough distance between you two, you begin to spin, hurling and lifting the HUGE TIME BOMB with the thread like a HAMMER THROW. At just the right moment, at just the right time, with just enough seconds to spare, the bomb hurls in an arch overhead, the tendrils surging straightforward as the metallic ticking clock spins. The giant notices all too late as its head is made the sight of impact.

> Time: Stop

The beast's head but not body is frozen in a look of disgust and horror. The radius is limited, and most certainly all if not most of the tendrils are still VERY ACTIVE. You pant, and begin running in a circle. The beast's body attempts to lunge forward, running to find you and CRUSH YOU to utterly nothing. But it remains pinned, a small GRAY METERE adjacent to the radius indicating not for very long. This Hechatonchires may be huge and terrifying, but you're guessing it never took GEOMETRY. You stay right at the edge of its radius, circling around the whole of the perimeter, your lungs feel like they're on fire. But you continue to sling BARBABOMBS overhead, the tendrils too busy trying in VAIN to attack you as you seem PREPOSTEROUSLY in reach to swat at the bombs you arch overhead. Almost the WHOLE VILLAGE is decimated as the tendrils attempt in vain to reach you by destroying buildings as collateral. Each BARBABOMB slips seemingly harmlessly into the radius encapsulating the hechantonchires.

You pant, your knees feeling weak. Mom's spaghetti. You're right back at the start, your body starting to give out from the physical strain you've put it under. While your gear has been pretty optimized, your physical form remains untrained. Heh, maybe you should've stuck with shovels. The timer runs out, and the beast, furious, now remains UNPINNED. It ROARS in victory, nothing stopping it now as-

> Bombs: Unstop

The dozen or so bombs that flew to meet its face detonate simultaneously, engulfing the creature in old fashioned RED FIRE. The monster takes a serious hit to its HEALTH BAR, but with more than 0 points remaining, it still has the upper hand. You feel yourself collapse. Your stupid CHILD BODY and scrawny appendages no match for the beast's as a flame broiled and charred visage bears down on you. It begins to run straight for you, prepared to slam down with all of its might. But then, mysteriously, its health bar keeps depleting, and depleting. And you smirk, completely out of bombs, weapons or supplies, as it walks right into the PATHWAY OF SHARPNEL you made for it from your shrapnel bombs earlier to surge through and take even more damage, too focused on killing you to notice the battlefield.

===> Saul: Hopefully, fell the goliath

Last edited:
> Kiyo: Gather Intel

It's almost like a giant puzzle at this point. The old photograph of other humans, the ghost town, the video game that brought you here...

You take a swig of your juice before turning around on the stool, and addressing the entire crowd within the juice bar. Perhaps polling a larger audience would lead to better answers.

KIYO: How long have you all been here? Did you build this place yourselves?

The residents of the age-appropriate establishment say that this town has been here longer than they have, which is about 3 YEARS.

KIYO: Three years…
KIYO: This doesn’t feel like just a game anymore. This feels like something bigger.
KIYO: Speaking of, you all came from another planet, correct?

Yep, they tell you they are all (mostly) from the Obsidian Planet of DERSE. Those few white-shelled ones like the Sodajerk over there are from the Golden Planet of PROSPIT, however.

KIYO: That means all of you are refugees.
KIYO: After three years, you’ve made a pretty good settlement on this planet.
KIYO: Save that phantom, The Chariot…
KIYO: Hm. I wonder if it’s namesake has anything to do with it.
KIYO: Who decided to call it the Chariot, anyway?

They all stop and look at you, confused. You don’t question what things are called, they just are called that.

KIYO: Wait, really?

Thinking on it now, their ‘names’ are simply what they’re known to be, or be good at. What kind of society did these people used to live?

KIYO: Okay, then.
KIYO: You also don’t seem very fazed by me being here.
KIYO: From that photo that Rudy sent, it’s likely that six other people here too.
KIYO: Oh, the photo!

You proceed to pull out your Double Tophand device, and open the Pesterchum app. You quickly show the room the old photo, to see if they recognize any elements from it.

Those kids? They ask if those are supposed to be those soft-shells they saw hanging around the Incipisphere before the invasion.

KIYO: Soft-shells…?
KIYO: Of course. You all have carapaces for skin, like crabs.
KIYO: I must also be a soft-shell then.
KIYO: From what I’ve heard, one of them brought on the reign of dangerous creatures.
KIYO: I presume The Chariot was part of that group.
KIYO: But what happened to the others? Does it have something to do with the Tower?

From what they heard, nobody knows what happened to them. They probably died all those years ago. And you’ll have to be more specific, they say, there are a lot of towers in the Incipisphere.

KIYO: Lots of them?
KIYO: They must be important then.
KIYO: …
KIYO: Actually…
KIYO: What do you know of SBURB?

They look to you with blank eyes.

What the hell is Sburb?

KIYO: That’s another big question.
KIYO: The six of us that roam currently were all displaced here by a video game.
KIYO: SBURB was the title.
KIYO: Somebody created this game, and it seems like we were almost fated to play it.
KIYO: Can I get another drink, please?

The Precocious Sodajerk slides you another float, while the Herculean Brute remembers something. He recalls a time years ago when he was still just muscle for the Archagent of Derse, those soft-shells were talking about a game back then too. That girl seemed really into it.

KIYO: So, it must be batches of six.
KIYO: Six kids, two times now, tricked into entering another dimension with a video game.
KIYO: What girl do you mean?

He says it was the cowboy one. Real tall for a soft-shell. She hung around on this planet a lot back then too.

KIYO: I see.
KIYO: So these places aren’t necessarily unique to each of us, we just happened to land on each one individually.

You take a look at the photo on your specs. The tallest one, who you think has the yellow horseshoe symbol and signature.

KIYO: Did she had rectangular glasses and long hair?
KIYO: And was SP in her name?

The appearance matches, he says. But he doesn’t know what her name was.

You begin taker a closer look.
You take account of the initials.

Then you lean back a second, blink, and look back at the photo.
These initials. They match the last names of everyone in your group.
Even the colors are similar. But is this just a coincidence?

KIYO: Are there any more settlements on this planet?

Probably, he assumes there would be. But he’s the strongest guy around, so they probably aren’t having the best time holding back The Chariot.

KIYO: That makes sense. That Phantom is really something difficult.
KIYO: Have you tried allying with other refugees on other planets?
KIYO: How would one get to another planet, anyway?
KIYO: Maybe I’ll have to build a ship or something.

The Dersites used dropships to get around, but he has to assume that the soft-shells had some way of getting around themselves; he’s seen them on multiple planets in the past. As for banding together, if everyone was in one place they would be too easy a target for the Phantoms and Underlings.

KIYO: Do you know any weaknesses of The Chariot?

Nope. All they really know about the Phantoms is that they like it dark. Under clouds, in pitch blackness, he even heard one of them is at its planet’s core.

KIYO: Well, you forgot one.
KIYO: Apparently you can turn them away with enough force from a number of angles.
KIYO: Since that’s what you just did.

He didn’t forget, he just doesn’t like the jungle one. And yeah, with enough force you can get them to “reconsider.” Killing one seems impossible to them though.

KIYO: There aren’t many things that are possible.
KIYO: But think about it. You made them reconsider in a very quick and harsh circumstance.
KIYO: If you plan enough, perhaps you have a chance?
KIYO: Maybe if every settlement across every planet came together, you could coordinate a plan for all of them.

He says that’s just asking for The King to show up.

KIYO: What does The King do?

Whatever it wants, really. He says that anything the Phantoms can do, The King can do worse. And he means that as in “worse for you.” It isn’t a Phantom, but they seem to follow what it says.

KIYO: Can it be reasoned with?

He doubts it. He doesn’t even think they can understand words.

KIYO: Hm.
KIYO: So they're just like wild animals, then?
KIYO: Words are one way of communication, but perhaps there is a way to talk between the Phantoms.
KIYO: I imagine it’d be extremely difficult. Has anyone tried it before, as in trapping a Phantom?

They don’t really try cunning plots or anything. When a Phantom shows up it’s kind of just all they can do to not die.

KIYO: I see.
KIYO: I’m sorry for your losses.
KIYO: I suppose I’m just passing through, but is there anything I can do to help while I’m here?

Nothing that they can’t already do themselves. He doubts it, but if you can find a way to kill one of those things, he tells you to let him know.

You almost feel bad for them, trapped by these monstrosities. But now you have information. Now, you have a goal. Maybe it’s this King that connected your two worlds? You’re not sure, but you’ll have to find out.

You finish your drink, and hand the glass to the Sodajerk.

You wave at HB as you exit the juice bar, and take a deep breath. You open Pesterchum and text the group chat some of your recent musings from the info you just gathered, before walking further into the small town. HB mentioned that one of the girls came around often, and if they were able to travel between planets, maybe she left some kind of transport device nearby for ease of access.

> Rudy: Be a puppet on a string.

As you go to move, regardless of direction, you find yourself STOPPED. ??? raises their hand toward you and you find that an IMMENSE PRESSURE is preventing you from moving. Your mysterious new friendenemepanion swings around to the gate, and you are lifted off of the ground and now float preciously above it.

A series of string-like strands snake out from ???'s stygian mass, connecting to the gate which flickers and shifts, transforming it into a shadowy vestige of its former self.
???: sorry.

??? pivots their hand down, and you are launched into the BLACK GATE.

> Rudy: Survey new surroundings.

You find yourself in a large MAGMA-FILLED CAVERN deep underground. You are on a ledge overlooking the hot rock juice, a sealed DOOR behind you bearing the symbol of a person, head wreathed in FLAME. A ring of PILLARS poke out from the magma, acting as STEPPING STONES to traverse the area... though there is a noticeable lack of them in the center, as if something BIG used to be there.

On the other side of the chamber, another DOOR can be found, this one coated in the DARK ICHOR that the Underlings seem to be made of. The SLUDGE begins to move, pulling itself into a vaguely HUMANOID form. Wait... that's not VAGUELY anything, that creature looks just like a dark sludge version of YOU.

A SMALL HEALTH METER appears at the top of your vision, and a BOSS TITLE appears above it.

PHANTOM IMMATURUS
THE FOOL

The Fool
leaps onto the pillars, rushing towards you, a spear of PURPLE PSYCHIC FLAME appearing in its hands.

> Mari and Ryan: Ride like the wind.

The two of you begin riding down the inclined street, where you get a better view of the area.

You are in a small SEASIDE TOWN located at the base of a hill, and as you leave the residential areas, you can see that various buildings call this place BLACKBRINE. Ryan make a hard turn into a small ABANDONED LOT, overgrown with weeds with dilapidated fences. In the center of this lot is a HAND-BUILT SHACK, and Ryan stops the bike.
RYAN: In here.

She enters the small shack, and as you approach you see a a series of INITIALS carved into a board, the same ones from Rudy's photograph. Noticeably, the ones for "b.t." and "LL" look a lot OLDER than the other four. You enter. Inside, the room is DARK and EMPTY, as if it was an BLANK VOID, though after a moment a STANDING PROJECTOR appears alongside a box that says MEMORIES.

Ryan searches through the box for a while before pulling out a PROJECTOR SLIDE and inserting it into the machine.

On the wall of the room a picture appears: It shows a young man in a AUDIO BOOTH, headphones around his neck. His face is burned out of the picture. On his lap, a small and nearly spherical BLACK MASS OF TAR AND FLAGELLA sits comfortably, a single EYE in its center.
RYAN: That is faraday.
RYAN: Truong's pet he found out in the furthest ring.
RYAN: From a story standpoint, it's pretty clear that it's the big bad.

> Saul: Be the Despair Hecatoncheires.

You are now the Despair Hecatoncheires.

You have just taken a LOT of damage from this tiny human, and you AREN'T HAVING ANY OF IT. You raise your SUB-HUNDRED BRAMBLES above your head to slam down on this toothpick of a human and KILL HIM, when your HEALTH METER depletes to ZERO. Little shit got you one some TINY SPIKES. Damn, and you didn't really want to die AGAIN. Oh well, C'EST LA MORT.

You explode into a rainfall of GRIST to reward the tactics of the HUMAN, but you also drop an ITEM.

> Despair Hecatoncheires: First, be Saul. Second, grab item.

You are now Saul again, and you see the creature drop a small bottle of dark fluid.

You got the VIAL OF BLACK LIQUID SORROW.

You are now SAFE, as it seems all of the UNDERLINGS in the area were already a part of the Despair Hecatoncheires.

> Kiyo: Search for transport.

You begin your search of the TOWN WITH NO NAME, looking for whatever allowed the person you assume to be SP to travel between the planets. As you wander through the SINGLE-STREET FRONTIER TOWN, you notice something in an ALLEY between the buildings: a GATE made of ORANGE LIGHT, which becomes PINK the moment you approach. You enter the Second Gate.

On the other side, you find yourself atop the home of one BRIA TRUONG in the LAND OF KNOWLEDGE, DOWNPOUR, AND MIRE. Above you lies the THIRD GATE guarded by UNDERLINGS. Below you lies the FIRST GATE, and Bria's ALCHEMY EQUIPMENT.

Last edited:
> Bria: Captchalogue Bot

You honestly should’ve expected this, it’s a robot! Not a bunch of legos. You thank BQ for letting you take the pieces, and captchalogue them. The mechanical nonsense in one card, and the face plate in the other. You’ll try your hand at alchemizing them once you get the chance.

> Inform your friends

You open up the memo and see that Kiyo has replied.

CG: Okay, I think it’s best we start thinking of our goals.
CG: I’ve encountered a high-tier creature named after a Tarot Card. Apparently, there are more of these in the universe we’re in.
CG: I’ve also talked to a group of refugees with black and white shells.
CG: Some other things.
CG: That photograph Rudy shared, they were the players here before us.
CG: There were exactly six of them, and like Saul mentioned, the gender split is also the same.
CG: Another thing; they have the same last names as us, or at least the same initials.
CG: I’m not sure what this implies, but the mystery of what we’re doing here isn’t going away anytime soon.
CG: The Sheriff of the town I’m currently in mentioned I think five of the Phantoms.
CG: One of them seems to be the leader, called The King.
CG: Wait what
CG: The King
CG: Why is it doing that?
CG: Well, anyway, our main goal right now might be to figure out a way to help these people against these creatures.
CG: Any more information about these things would be helpful.
CG: Anything you guys have?

TA: I actually ran into an NPC who gave me some insight into these ‘phantoms’
tenaciousAbberration[TA] sent a photo
TA: They’re all major arcana and the one on my land is The Magician
TA: I do find it interesting that the drawing has obvious hanged-man imagery
TA: Perhaps the others also connect to different tarot? I honestly don’t know enough about tarot to figure it all out
TA: The King isn’t a phantom according to the NPC I conversed with, which I suppose makes sense from the naming scheme
TA: Oh, and I found all of this is an absolutely amazing library in my land! It’s in a large tree and absolutely filled to the brim with books that are visions of the past present and future
TA: Apparently ‘prospitians’ used to be able to magically cloudwatch and see the past and future
TA: You all should most certainly visit if you happen upon my land
TA: And... I believe that’s everything I’ve learned recently

CG: On the subject of NPC talk
CG: I’m not sure we should call them that anymore.
CG: This world has existed for years before we arrived, evidenced by the other six humans to appear
CG: The people in this universe are people, so to say, and I believe they deserve that respect
CG: On the other hand, about The King.
CG: If it controls everything, I wonder if it does have some relation to Tarot.
CG: If I remember correctly, there are Four Kings in a Tarot Deck, all in the Minor Arcana.
CG: Perhaps that means something? Like, The King is as powerful as four Phantoms?
CG: King’s in tarot usually mean something like ‘things are certain, are delivered as an absolute’.
CG: Perhaps I’m reading too into it, though.

TA: You have a point on the NPC thing, my apologies.
TA: I guess I’m still thinking of this as a video game
TA: And the four kings thing sounds like interesting symbolism
TA: We don’t have many clues at the moment, so any speculation is wonderful

Well… you are quite suspicious of that photo. Not only the gender split, initials and color, but the number of glasses, the little features and details. You can’t think of any reasonable explanations for it, but this game is far beyond normal logic. Maybe it’s some alternate universe version of you and your friends? Whatever, you’re sure you’ll get clearer answers later.

Besides, that isn’t as important as the Phantom Thing. If there’s a mystery that needs to be solved, it’s how you’re going to deal with these bosses. Or just learning more about them than “powerful and dangerous”

> Enter Gate

Yes, enough stalling. Time to see what the rest of the game has to offer! You bid BQ farewell and jump through the SECOND GATE.

===> Saul: Take a photo as celebration

You huff a little. That fight really took everything you had and pushed you to your limits. But somehow you were able to attack and destroy that thing, twice! You take out your DIGITAL CAMERA (polaroids are cool to you but you've always appreciated the better quality of a digital image that's been taken in high definition). You turn the camera around and snap a picture of yourself in front of your new MASSIVE grist horde. Heh, Rudy would probably get a big kick out of this. You think you'll-oh. Looks like there's been a lot of memo activity you've missed out on.

gardenCelebrationist [GC] sent an attachment
GC: Guys! i just, uh, killed a monster! a big one too!
GC: I think there was a big monster that was defeated on loctaa a while ago
GC: ...probably by this game’s former roster of players, now that you all mention it
GC: It wasn’t a phantom, for sure, but the thing was REALLY nasty, it was a giant ‘despair hecatoncheires’ of sorts, a bunch of pitch underlings got subsumed into its mass and attacked me with its big tendrils
GC: Regardless of where and what all of this means, we can be sure that as the game becomes more challenging, we can get stronger! And if we’re stronger…
GC: We can win!
GC: Oh i-i’m...g-getting ahead of m-myself, heh
GC: B-but still, maybe these old players left behind some c-clues that we can learn to figure out these things weaknesses
GC: Or just use their own strengths against them! H-heh...anyway, say hi to all the cool people you guys are meeting for me
GC: They all sound so neat!

You sweep up all of the grist in its numerous typings that drops from the Hecatoncheries. You feel ecstatic as you collect all you need to make another successful alchemy session. Speaking of, before you explore more of the land and find the NEXT GATE you'll need to first restock on some supplies. You chew on some HEALTH BARS and feel better, but you're completely defenseless without your BANDOLIER. You take a RETURN NODE back to Rudy's house from the village. You decide to try out that VIAL OF LIQUID SORROW.

===> Saul: Make Alchemy a little easier

You notice a slight disparity between yourself and your friends with your recent victory against the hecatoncharies in terms of GRIST. You download the GRIST TORRENT CD so you can all start to develop a GRIST POOL to draw from so the others can be in less danger in their respective quests. It's a team effort after all. You then take out your old FETCH MODUS, a really annoying and unhelpful thing, and combine it with your DIGITAL CAMERA, the device produced (the CAPTCHACORDER) makes sylladex cards with the captcha code of whatever's photographed on the back. You use it to jury rig a few things, using Rudy's spare laptop to set up your OWN alchemy station with those handy new SHUNTS that make the process one stop. You take photos and re-create the shunts for Rudy, doing the same.

With the vial you create:

Ichorous Explosive Devices [IEDs]. they seem to create a thick patch of black sludge that impede . You make a mental note to not use this around the skeletal underlings. The PHANTOM REGALIA with your overalls. They seem like very comfortable purple PJs with neat insignias on them, crown comes included. You strap them under your overalls, too proud of the PRETTY ORANGE SUN emblem from Ito to remove it so easily. The MASK OF THE PHANTOM, which is like a plague doctor mask from your goat skull mask. The THORNCODDLERS with your vine gloves. Now these things do pretty serious damage to the things they grapple. The CRYSTALINE ROPE and the vial also produce EDLRICTH BRAMBLES. Just as durable AND dangerous. You make all of this in addition to a new swathe of SMOKE BOMBS, PLANT BOMBS, INCINDIARY GRENADES, SHRAPNEL BOMBS, BARBABOMBS, C4 and a handful of TIME BOMBS. You also check your ECHELADDER and find you've ascended to the rank of GIANT SLAYER. Definitely cool and lucrative, as it gives you an ample amount of a currency you STILL have no idea what to do with.

You don't really know if this attire is YOUR THING, but the stats are undeniably better and you don't have better materials than the vial to work with on hand. It does hint at the ELDRITCH NATURE of the entity behind this incursive force of new underlings though.

===> Saul: Explore!

You trek back to the village. Freshly restocked you decide to look for the GATE leading you to what will be LACY'S land.​

Rudy: Fight Rudy

The world was a spiral of momentum and distrupted sight, till you were blinded by the scene of fire. It... Appaeared as a boss arena, and really, this is what you'd expect from a boss battle in truth. At least one fire oriented. Like a dragon, maybe a giant's home?

You had little time to consider, as a new person appeared. From an inky black doorway, came you.

As the double came into being, and brandish it's own weapon, charging with intent, you could only remember the few rules about boss encounters you know.

1) If it's a circular arena, typically it'll use the whole arena

2) Size is important, if it's big it'll be fine and telegraphed, if it's your size, your fucked.

3) The shorter the name, the more you are fucked.

Rudy had barely enough time to get out his own weapons to stop the incoming blow, with the shaft of his left spear he blocked the strike anf spung, but the sound of a snap was echoing... Ah...

SPEARX2 => SPEARX1-1/2

Your instincts scream at you, forcing you to roll as a spear thrown out of a purpleish portal just barely grazes your back, cutting up the cloak you made awhile ago. You struggle a moment and toss it aside, freed from it's constaints the black inky you rushes once more, causing you to stumble back, but you roll with this, spears falling from portals above into the place you would have been if you stayed.

The figure's stops for a moment and brings down it's free hand, the portals cease, you make a note of this.

You want to speak, but you know it'd be useless... This world... Was very clearly done being nice... And now... Now it's trying in earnest to bring you down... The heat around you brings you to a sweat, the thing didn't care in the slightest...

The Fool...

It twirled it's spear for a momrnt as you wondeted... Was this a spit in your face? Would it always look like you? If Bria was here would it be her...? Your mind flashes, if that black blob guy does this to the others... They would be caught off guard to... Would they survive? Can he survive this? He had to warn the others, but he had no time...

Two sounds, left and right, magma at his back, he rolled forwards, the names of these actions in the game's sake didn't matter to him, hell he didn't much care about the game at all!

For all he cared, this was to survive!!

He counter rushed The Fool, causing more portals to be made in retaliation, he was forced to run again as he was cut by narrow dodge after another, each one full strike he felt would lead to death but he had to keep moving!

Move!

Left,

Left again!

Jump!

Block!!

Shit!

Spear1/2 x2

Go!

Right!

BA-

He didn't have a chance then, the purple spear planted it'self in his thigh, outer side of it, but his leaps and bounds were over. He cried, in anger, a yelping pitiful call for help. The fires surged around them as if the very world around him screamed his his death, desired more bloodshed. Pinned, and helpless, The Fool approached.

Why? Why? He was just a boy. He wasn't meant for this. Hes barely gotten out of school! Hes not even old enough to drink. Why was he here? Why was he in such pain? Who did this? Who did this to all of them?

Who... WHO!

The thoughts matteted little, The Fool loomed over him now, polearm in hand. The boy was down on one knee, weeping and in horrid pain... Would his friends know? Would... They miss him? What about mom...? Where was she... Mom...

Mommy...!

In a flash he was back home, remembering the days he was with his mother. Today was a day they would both go hunting, they lived on their own out there so at times they needed to provide beyond the meagre grocery store a few hours away. On that day, they caught a buck. A trap, but it trashed around like no one's business, it fought to survive even when it's leg was all but gone from the trap. In it's flailing, Rudy had been givin a nasty cut from the horns as it broke free. His Mother told him in no uncertain words, a line he would remember as she bandaged up his wound. "Always respect a wounded animal, when backed into a corner is when it is most dangerous." The memories fade as quickly as they came.

His death was nigh.

The spear conjured up by The Fool was thrust into Rudy's head, it's hand rested, it's body all but let the tension go as it removed the spear... But... The weapon didn't move...

The confusion on a blank face was evident for but a second before it realized...

StabbedInTheCheek.png

The polearm disipated in the suprise, Rudy was on The Fool like a mad man, desperate to live he struck again, and again, and again, the young man's rampant fury dwindling the health bar to nothing with a ravening roar, a lust for life continued!!

With a final twin strike his weapons broke finally, The Fool's pool of gel depleted and rent... Rudy fell backwards off the foe...

And wept, a mournful cry, begging to go home, begging for his mother...

For forgiveness if he had done something wrong...

He just wanted to play a game...

Just a game...​

> Kiyo: Figure it out.

Of course! You had completely forgotten about the Gates. You had originally assumed that they could only be used to travel across the Western Planet, but if these gates can loop through the planets in this universe, you've figured out the first six's travel system. No machines were needed, thankfully, you were worried you'd have to use some sort of unknown ship.

You get up from the crouched position you were in after landing. The rain seems to have started, but you aren't very worried. Your technology is waterproof, but it would be useful to make some kind of raincoat while you're here. You look up at the third gate, and realize that you understand the motions that the game portion of this universe work. You'll have to traverse each world or level that your friends live in, then... maybe you reach that grand mountain that Darumasprite mentioned, Skaia?

You descend the tall home, and do a quick exploration of the few rooms in Bria's home, not touching much, though several underlings seem to have done that for you. You also collect some grist by clearing out a few of the rooms with your new arrows.

After several minutes, you hope Bria doesn't mind, and collect some items to try and make some new items.

You find Bria's alchemy equipment, and discover a few more items nearby, and use those in tandem. You create the MOONCLOAK, using the Mac Tonight Figurine and the Rain Cloak, a longer raincoat with a wispy black design, and a Crescent Moon emblem on the breast pocket and back. You make the INKROWS, with some fancy pens and steel practice arrows, which can inject and shoot pen ink when shot. You create the BOOKTOP with one of Bria's giant binders, one with very little in it, and your Desktop Computer; while it opens as a machine, it appears to be able to scan and save texts, which could be incredibly useful in collecting and organizing information. You create a... CAPTCHADAK? You're not really sure what this is, you accidentally combined your tactical camera and one of your cards. But it looks like you can now get codes from ghost objects? You suppose that'd be incredibly useful, plus it has a neck strap that you can wear to look fashionable. After finding a number of baked goods downstairs, you make a handful of moon-based pastries the same way you made the Pocky. Now you have CRESCENTCAKE, CRESCENTCOOKIEs, and MOONCREME PIEs. Maybe you'll have a picnic later?

You also decide to take out some of the machines you took from your own home, and make some new tech. STRUNGCHUKS are steel weapons with sharp arrow-shaped ends that you can use like num-chuks, with a Nintendo logo in the middle. You don't have many manual weapons, but since you can't wield this as a weapon, it might be a good trap item. MODULAR LASERSCOPE, an average-sized purple metal tube that can extend, created with your telescope and laser pointer and purple wondermaker yoyo.

After this, you captchalogue your new equipment, and before ascending to the next gate, venture out into the rainy marshes. Bria mentioned an archive library out here in the rain, and if you hope to unite the people or make a plan to take down the Phantoms across the planets, any knowledge could be useful.

> Mari: Follow Ryan

MARI: I see what you mean but...
MARI: it's so cute...
RYAN: That's debatable.

Ryan swaps out the slides, showing another memory from later in their game. The camera is looking at a group of people walking in front of it through the snowy fields of LODSAS. Floating beside the same boy from earlier is Faraday, now the size of a large dog.

RYAN: This was a few days later.

RYAN: If that's how big he got in a few days, i can't imagine how big he'd be now after...
RYAN: Wait, how long have i been in here?
MARI: weird.....

MARI: as for how long youve been in here.... i couldnt say myself
MARI: me and my friends just got here today
RYAN: Do you happen to know the day?
MARI: February 2nd
RYAN: February already?
RYAN: Then it's been about two months, last i remember it was december.
MARI: Oh

MARI: I see...
MARI: Do you remember where you were last?
RYAN: Denizen's palace back on lobeaf.

RYAN: I had already beaten my denizen, typheus, but i got backed into a corner during the invasion.
RYAN: If i had to guess, that's where my body would be.
MARI: I see...
MARI: Ill try to find you...
RYAN: 'ppreciate it.

RYAN: I'd like to get out of this dream as soon as possible.
RYAN: Someone's gotta save the dork from his pet, and nobody's stronger than me.
MARI: Hehe

MARI: it might take me a bit, considering... yknow, falling pagoda and all that
MARI: but you can count on me!
RYAN: ...

RYAN: So, since nothing else is going on...
RYAN: Want to watch some movies while we wait for you to wake up?
MARI: :D yes!!!

Everything becomes fuzzy, and your view of the scene begins to fade as Ryan pulls some bizarre looking movies up on her phone.

You wake up.

RYAN: ... Damn.

> Mari: Wake up

coo
> Bria: Enter Second Gate.

Robot in sylladex, you hop into the Second Gate.

You arrive on one of the many roofs (rooves?) of the house of SAUL MAYVIEW. As the audience, you know the drill by now. Above is the THIRD GATE, below is the FIRST GATE and ALCHEMY EQUIPMENT.

You also see far off into the distance, a WINGED PURPLE BEAST flail around as it flies before crashing into the ground. Good ol' ambience of the LAND OF DREAMS, SAPPHIRE, AND SNOW.

> Saul: Adventure.

After restocking your sylladex, you head back into the Third Gate; this time electing NOT to stay in the village, lest another dark rainfall appears.

You enter the opens fields of the LAND OF CLOUDS, TOWERS, AND ADVENTURE for the first time, seeing the various, NON-BENT BROADCASTING TOWERS, each with their own little CADRE OF UNDERLINGS hanging around it's base. You don't see any signs of the Fourth Gate, though. You get the feeling that the rolling hills of LOCTAA are mostly just the traversible overworld, rather than the place where all the stuff is.

Rudy mentioned in the memo about there being CASTLES or something atop the clouds, and the towers just reach the bottoms, maybe you need to climb?

> Kiyo: Enter First Gate.

Instead of going through the Third Gate, you head into the first one, that's where Bria found the ARBOROUS ARCHIVE after all, right?

You arrive in the same MUDDY PATCH that Bria did, and follow the path that winds out before you, ignoring the MOLDY TOWERS that don't hold anything useful. You run into the TURPENTINE ABOMINATION as well, poor thing. You already know you can't kill this thing, it's already a mockery DEATH. More so than the Underlings, even. That being said, you haven't really SEEN any Underlings here, aside from the ones in Bria's house.

You arrive at the MANGROVE LIBRARY, where you see the tall Burdened Quintessent looking over the shelves.

She greets you, Prince.

> Mari: Wake up.

You awaken in a FAMILIARLY UNFAMILIAR ROOM. It is nothing more than a dark-walled box with nothing in it but a door and windows leading outside to NEWLY-ILLUMINATED CITY STREETS and the smell of a BUBBLING SEA. Yep, you're back on the LAND OF BREW, ENERGY, AND FIREWORKS.

Watching over you is a white-shelled carapacian. The Pragmatic Messenger is glad you're awake, she pulled you out of the PAGODA rubble earlier and carried you here. The Dogmatic Detective had them shadow you in case something like this happened. They can accompany you to the Second Gate, if you'd like. That's where you're heading, right?

> Rudy: Climb Echeladder.

Undercutting the dark scene, a jaunty VICTORY THEME plays as you are showered with a windfall of BOONDOLLARS and STAT INCREASES. You have rocketed to the very top of your ECHELADDER, gaining the title of SQUIRE OF ANGELS. A gaudy yellow-and-white FEATHER is added to your CAP.

The DARK SLUDGE on the other side of the chamber dissolves, and the door opens as you begin to lose consciousness...

You are then HEALED back to full as you see a BIRD GHOST shoot you with some LIFE LASERS or something.

PIGEONSPRITE: coo

> Mari: Arise

To be honest, you're a bit sad that you didn't get to watch movies with Ryan. It would have been a nice chance to hang out with a new friend! Oh well, you need to pay attention to what's going on now...

You thank the messenger, not wanting to consider where you'd be if she hadn't come along. If they didn't mind coming along with you, you'd be more than happy to have help/company!

Oh wait. You were in a dream. That means that your message to the group didn't send... guess you need to re-send it and add some more info! You ask the messenger for just a moment.

GA: umm hi everyone!!
GA: sorry that ive been so quiet
GA: i got super distracted with exploring
GA: a lot happened but ummmm
GA: tl;dr some people here need our help to kill this thing called The Emperor but we have to get stronger first
GA: i went to explore this big tower and ran into it!! it was huge and managed to slice the tower in half...
GA: and i got knocked out and woke up somewhere else
GA: i dont know how, but i ended up in this girls dream? it felt a bit too real to be just a dream
GA: her name was ryan
GA: the last place she remembered being before she was in that dream was in the denizens palace in lobeaf

GA: i promised that id try to find her and wake her up! but if everyone could keep an eye out that would be great!
GA: she had dark hair that was put up in a sort of bun?
GA: anyways, ill try to catch up on what everyones said when i can! i want to make sure im somewhere a bit more safe first
[
/bg]

Okay. You're ready to go now.

===>

The underlings you engage with at the base of one of the towers are almost underwhelming compared to the Hechatonchaires. With a quick few smoke bombs and well placed oil slicks you overcome them in true looney toon fashion. Ironically the bigger challenge is getting your arms to successfully pull up to each rung on the TALL BROADCAST TOWER. You might be here for a while.

> Climb

Rudy: Be a little less sad.

Its.. Kinda hard when all that kinda happens.

Your body is knit back together... Though... Your cheek is kinda itchy... Hmm... Guess where the stab happened you got a scar now. Kinda... Star shaped? Four points... Wierd...

Not wierd you got stabbed.

And you beat that dude.

Fuck him and... Well...

You can't stay mad at the Blob guy from before... He DID say he was sorry...

And, can't say you're a guy who holds grudges.

You take a moment to breath... In this immence heat, and text on your phone for abit... And build up some of Saul's house, really, the moble app is pretty good for SBURB...

Hmm... Phantoms... Tarot... That... Kinda explains what happened here...

You...

You really wana say something... You have it typed out... But...

You can't... You can't bring yourself to send it to the memo... It'd... Be asking too much... Too... Innocent of a request... innocent for... What this is...

This... Really wasn't a game anymore... Never was...

You delete that message, wipe your quickly drying tears and type.
CT: Yo, uhh
CT: Sorry for being quiet and all but uhh...
CT: I... Uhh...
CT: So... Good news.
CT: I hit the top of my Etchladder.
CT: And i'm alive.
CT: So... Uhh... Bad news...
CT: I... Found one of the Phantoms you guys were talking about.
CT: Or rather it found me, IDK but a guy who was kinda talking as if he knew me, he was made of black gloop and kinda sad cause he was gonna have to do somethin to me.
CT: He said he was sorry and toss me into a portal.
CT: Lead me to this... Big lava cavern? Magma everywhere...
CT: Thats when... The Fool came at me.
CT: It looked just like me, used anime magical portal bullshit to toss weapons at me.
CT: I...
CT: I...

There is a breif pause in posts, a solid minute
CT: I'm okay >:3
CT: It's all good.
CT: Cool birdsprite is here.
CT: And... I killed The Fool.
CT: Don't pity him Mr.T, he nearly killed me.
CT: Now i'm lost but super buff I guess.

You speak to the sprite, it only Coos softly, thats nice, you guess...

You ask it if it knows the way out, anyways.​

> Kiyo: Speak with this authoritative librarian.

KIYO: Prince?
KIYO: I’m not sure that’s exactly the right term.
KIYO: What do you mean by that?

She says that while you may not know it, you are one of the twin princes of Derse. Though you were asleep when she saw you.

KIYO: Twin prince?
KIYO: I have a twin?
KIYO: And Derse… I thought everyone from Derse had a carapace?

The princes and princess of both Derse and Prospit were human, asleep in their towers for as long as both kingdoms stood. Though a few were hidden away, such as yourself.

KIYO: The way you talk about them, makes me assume those six others were there with us.
KIYO: As if we were always meant to be here, all twelve of us.
KIYO: You say ‘hidden away’... maybe that has to do with the planetbound towers I’ve been seeing myself?
KIYO: Hence why that game brought us here after the first six.
KIYO: Speaking of, do you know anything about SBURB, or the mountain called Skaia?

Skaia? Well, it’s not a mountain, she tells you. It’s another planet, or rather, a place where a planet resides. It is also the star that everything else in the Incipisphere orbits. It is where the two kingdoms fought before the Invader attacked.

KIYO: Ah, understood.
KIYO: And SBURB? Have you ever heard of it?

It is the game that brought you here, no? Not many know about it, but she and a select few others do. Or did.

KIYO: Ah, so it’s not completely unknown.
KIYO: That means that it definitely originated from this dimension, then.
KIYO: But I wanted to ask you other things.
KIYO: You talked to another soft-shell recently, right? A girl with a red locket?
KIYO: I wanted to ask you about the Phantoms. How many are there, and what can they do?

Ah yes, the Princess of Derse. She was just here, she tells you. As for the Phantoms, anything you could want to know can be found within these books. There are many, but she is sure someone like you can find something useful.

You nod, and think you agree with that. You start looking through the shelves while continuing the conversation. If you're hoping to quell the beasts that haunt these people, you’ll need to have any advantage.

KIYO: I visited a town without a name on the desert planet recently.
KIYO: There was a sheriff there, known as the Herculean Buster, who mentioned he used to work for an ‘archagent’ on Derse.
KIYO: What did you used to do?

She was the Queen, of course. How is the former Brute, anyway? It’s been so long since she last saw him.

KIYO: Oh, so there were rulers?
KIYO: It makes sense why you have the aura of someone so powerful.
KIYO: HB has been fine. He seems satisfied, if I had to describe it.
KIYO: He watches over the town of refugees back from the desert planet.
KIYO: Have you ever thought about teaming up with the other settlements of your people?

That is good to hear. The Archagent was notoriously difficult to work with. She has considered it in the past, but she cannot. The King prevents her from leaving this planet.

KIYO: The King
KIYO: He seems to pop up everywhere.
KIYO: Is he on this planet, physically?
KIYO: It’s like he’s everywhere all the time, controlling these creatures.

The King is not like the Underlings or Phantoms, she informs. He can travel between the planets, acting as an emissary for the Invader. And unlike them, it can talk, think, and scheme. And it can make deals.

KIYO: Hold on, The King isn’t behind all of this?
KIYO: There’s another outside force?
KIYO: The Invader… was that what the Prince summoned into this dimension?

You pull out your Tophand Handii and show her the old photograph, pointing to the one-eyed creature.

KIYO: Is this it?

She looks surprised for a moment. She has not seen some of these faces in a very long time. She remembers the creature, but she can not tell you if it is the Invader or not, as she has never seen it.​

KIYO: Another mystery, then.
KIYO: There’s two options here that I can think of;
KIYO: We manage to trap, bargain with, or defeat the Phantoms
KIYO: Though that would heavily involved somehow immobilizing The King.
KIYO: The second is attempting to find the location of this Invader, and directly communicating with it.
KIYO: Though if The King is this omnipresent enemy, I suspect it will be hard if not harder.
KIYO: Right now, my goal is to try and visit all of the refugees and get information on this higher power.
KIYO: If we can make a plan, we just might have a chance.
KIYO: Is there anything else you think I should know?

She begins walking up the stairs, leaving you be. Nothing that a fine Seer couldn’t find, she says. And then she is gone.

You continue to search the shelves for information about the Phantoms, their functions and gimmicks, or really anything at all. You have your Booktop out in one hand to collect this information for later.

> Bria: Admire LODSAS

The first thing that hits you is the whole atmosphere of the place. Truly a winter wonderland, it makes you wish this had been the place you landed rather than the mud and gloom of LOKDAM. You are definitely going to steal the aesthetic of this place for your next stories. Perhaps the Kingdom of Eternal Night could be joined by the Kingdom of Endless Stars? Or the Kingdom of Celestial Snow?

The second thing that hits you is how cold it is. That was probably a given, considering all the snow, but the WATERWINGS OF DARKNESS aren’t suitable winter wear. So the cold of the land is seeping in much more quickly than you would like.

Then a wave of drowsiness washes over you as both you and your body seem to remember a couple of things. Like the fact you’re running on no more than 6 hours of sleep, and also haven’t had any coffee yet. Which is fine! Just fine. You are a DEMONIC PRINCESS after all, you can’t be taken down by something as trivial as lack of sleep. It just the cold making you groggy, obviously. You’ll be fine once you alchemize some winter wear.

> Descend

You extend the wings of your cloak, and hope that your initial assumption was correct. You somewhat shakily glide down to Saul’s alchemy equipment.

You alchemize a blanket with a lighter and create… a BLANKET FIRE. Which you assume is the opposite of a Fire Blanket? You carry it outside, cross your fingers, and turn it on. It immediately bursts into flames. Fuck.

> Extinguish!

Thankfully you had the foresight to not test it in the apartment. Once the fire ate through the blanket it put itself out. Okay, that did not work… at least not how you intended.

> Converse with your Orange Friend

Oh! It seems Saul messaged you!

gardenCelebrationist[GC] began pestering tenaciousAbberration[TA]

GC: Hey bria!
GC: Good to hear you're alive, and stuff
GC: haha....

TA: It is nice to know that you are also doing well!
TA: Or at least relatively so
TA: What have you been upp to recntly?
TA: recently

GC: Oh well....
GC: I defeated that giant hechatonchaires....
GC: hecatancharies?
GC: I don't really know how spell it
GC: It was uh......really.....scary....

TA: Like the greek mythologicl creature? Or I suppose a game version of it
TA: That does sound terrifying!!
TA: Hopefully there aren't too many of those

GC: I think it was some kind of mini boss
GC: So luckily we probably won't see the likes of him around
GC: .....i gotta be honest, i was terrified
GC: And im still terrified for mari and rudy
GC: I know rudy is trying to put on a brave face in the memo but he just came face to face with a phantom....
GC: There's no way he's just 'fine'

TA: I agree
TA: There were too many ellipses for him to not be shaken up
TA: And that 'almost killed me' bit definetely wasn't a joke...
TA: But I'm sure everything will end up fine, if each of us can take down minibosses individual
TA: Then the rest of the phantoms can't be too much trouble to take on togther!
TA: or at least, they wouldn't be close calls of any kins
TA: kind

GC: I just.....i dunno
GC: The same goes for mar, i know she's like, unstoppably plucky but she almost got crushed by a tower
GC: I just wish i had the guts or was people savy enough to let them know they dont need to pretend everything is alright all the time
GC: like, mari doesn't need to keep smiling and rudy doesn't need to pretend like he's too strong to be bothered
GC: But im afraid it won't do anything or they'll be mad at me or.....blugh
GC: Even after i kill a three story monster im still too chicken to just talk to my friends

TA: Admittedly, combat does seem a lot easier than navigating emotional messes
TA: It's just stratgey and movement... no... complicated uh, heartfelt stuff
TA: And I don't think they would be mad at you! Maybe a bit surprised or shocked, but not angry
TA: And like....
TA: You telling them that isn't going to make them stop doing that
TA: So stop beating yourself up about not saying thing!!
TA: That's not going to help anyone

GC: You're.....right
GC: I'm just getting in my own head again
GC: Gah, if only people were so straightforward, predict their movements, counteract with defenses....
GC: But people are just so unpredictable, there are too many factors that skew data and probability
GC: Anyway, how are things on your planet? knowledge and swamps right?

TA: Actually! I just landed at yours!
TA: It's absolutely stunning, if a bit chilly.
TA: Makes me a bt jealous
TA: Are you still on your planet?
TA: I'd love it if we got a chance to hang out and explore together

GC: Ah! Just missed me
GC: I'm going through rudy's world now, trying to find my fourth gate
GC: But if you're going through my world and spot U.D, say hi!
GC: She has a strong personality but she seems to be cool, all around
GC: Oh, and show her that picture that's getting passed around in the memo, maybe she knew one of the old players

TA: I most certainly will, there is no way I'm missing the oportunity to speak with a fellow demon!
TA: And hopefully she can shed some light on these mysteries
TA: Oh, and since Im in your house, s there anywhere I should avoid?
TA: I wouldn't want to intrude

GC: She's not the best to just approach with a bunch of questions
GC: So id approach her with some friendly conversation first before you give any hard questions
GC: And uh, no worries, the gardens been trampled, courtesy of mr. rowdy
GC: Oh, uh, just....if you see a door with some caution tape over it? My brother's room
GC: Don't go in there.

TA: I'll try not to badger her with too many question
TA: My condolences about the plants, I know you spent a lot of time tending to them
TA: And noted, I will steer clear of his room

GC: Cool
GC: Oh! and, UBER IMPORTANT, steer clear of the demons if you can
GC: I don't know whete you're at on your echeladder but those things are pretty mid to high tier
GC: Be cautious of them, they're dangerous and will try to eat you

TA: Do not fret, I doubt they could take me on, let alone kill me
TA: But I will remain cautious regardless
TA: Well, I wish you luck on exploring Rudy's land, perhaps I'll see the two of you thre soon!

GC: Heh, of course your highness
GC: I'll see you soon, i have a good feeling!
GC: Best of luck princess!

gardenCelebrationist[GC]
stopped pestering tenaciousAbberration[TA]

Hooray! You managed to not make Saul’s emotional conflict worse by accident! In fact, it seems that you helped a bit. Now all you have to do is not be a hypocrite, because as much as you tried to be at least somewhat confident that everything will go fine… you really aren’t. After all Rudy and Mari almost died! And there was nothing you could’ve do to help!

And you are not panicking about that, no. You just need to go meet up with your friends ASAP. What kind of Princess— no, what kind of friend would you be if you wasted time looking around a cool planet when your friends could use your help? Certainly not a good one.

> Gear Up

You run around Saul’s house, snatching up items to alchemize. Of course the first thing you do is alchemize the blanket you found earlier with your clothes and cloak creating a WINTER ENSEMBLE, cold weather version of your normal outfit, with longer sleeves and thicker fabric. Which you promptly alchemize with a pair of demon horns in your sylladex to create the GARMENTS OF EVERFROST, a darker version of your WINTER ENSEMBLE with snowflake designs covering it. After all, you have to stick to your aesthetic! You also alchemize the LIGHTER and heart locket, creating the LOCKET OF FLAMES, a locket glowing with flames that radiates a soft heat.

Now onto weapons. You combine your PENKNIFE with a retractable pen you found lying around, creating a SWITCHPEN, which is essentially a cross between a pen and a switchblade. With a flick of a button, the blade-nib can shoot out of the barrel. Great for surprising your enemies. You alchemize the Switchpen with the Lighter, receiving a FIREY PEN KNIFE. But due to the lack of anything to burn, all it does is get the nib really hot. Which is useful! Just not the flaming weapon you had been hoping for. You alchemize one of your Pens of shame with a Glass decanter, receiving a GLASS INKWELL. Combining that with some of Saul’s surviving roses and cacti results in the INKWELL OF THORNS. The green ink in the bottle seems very spikey, both long thorns and cactus spines floating around in it.

> Remember the Robot

Right, that. You punch a card with the codes of both the mechanical jumble and face plate. You put the totem on the alchemiter, and activate it. Hoping you’ll get a rebuilt robot rather than some random assortment of objects.

> Mari: Head out with PM.

You head out into the STREETS once again, now alongside the Pragmatic Messenger. She seems to know where you're going, which is good, because you have NO IDEA where the Second Gate is even supposed to be.

After a few close calls and near run-ins with the swarms of Underlings, you manage to arrive at the Second Gate unharassed. Unfortunately, it is guarded by a mess of PITCH IMPS, CREOSOTE LICHES, and even a couple ASPHALT OGRES. PM pulls out a SNIPER RIFLE and begins to set up shop at a VANTAGE POINT to assist you in the scuffle.

> Saul: Ascend.

You somehow manage to climb to the top of the BROADCASTING TOWER with your pitiful MANGRIT. You cannot pass through the cloud itself, it seems to be SOLID, so you wait for a small opening passing by to crawl through.

Atop the CLOUDS, you see a MIGHTY FORTRESS stretching out across the nimbi. It appears to be a vast COMPLEX of interconnected CHAMBERS and COURTYARDS, each filled with more Underlings than the last. If you had to guess, the Fourth Gate would probably be inside.

> Rudy: Follow Pigeonsprite.

In response to your question, Pigeonsprite floats back to the NEWLY UNSEALED DOOR where your last foe emerged. You follow.

You arrive in a smaller chamber that appears to be a TREASURE ROOM of sorts, though it's long since been LOOTED already. The most prominent feature of the room are two STATUES on either side holding up the ceiling like pillars. They are cut from different stone, and each has a plaque beneath with a small description.

The RED STONE STATUE depicts a figure whose expression seems TIRED AND NERVOUS, the plaque beneath reads "The Bard of Time, Hero of Clouds and Towers." A RED CHEST sits in front of it, open and empty.
The GREEN STONE STATUE depicts a figure whose expression is that of a MISCHIEVOUS GRIN, the text below says "The Knight of Hope, Hero of Clouds and Adventure." A GREEN CHEST sits in front of it, unopened. You open it.

You got THE LEGENDARY WEAPON GUNGNIR.

At the other end of the room is a pair of GATES, one large and WHITE, the other small and shifting between BRIGHT RED and COOL BLUE. A piece of text is written on the floor in RED MARKER.

small gate: home.

big gate: skaia.

edit: well skaia is... underwhelming.

Pigeonsprite floats softly beside the SMALLER GATE.

> Kiyo: Search for information on the Phantoms.

You pour through a couple volumes of Prospitian Visions, but most of this is written in simile and metaphor, as if they were translating their visions into BEDTIME STORIES and NOVELS. You do find however, a DREAM JOURNAL of a Prospitian SOLDIER that seems to contain information about the INVASION and the birth of the PHANTOMS in the form of a short story.

"One day, without warning, a great and terrible monster appeared at the heart of Skaia. This monster would be known as the Invader.

The Kings of Prospit and Derse fell, and the title of King was passed on to the Invader's herald. This new King spread darkness and foul monsters across his world of boundless skies, destroying that which was once his own. At the behest of the Invader, the King sought out other worlds to conquer.

First the King sought the world of shimmering stars, turning it's beings foul and putrid like himself. King takes Pawn. From the abode of Echidna, a Sun burns its path in sky, gifted with the King's mastery of the gates.

Second, the King traveled to the world of vibrant explosions, placing a curse of darkness upon it's cities. King takes Rook. In the lair of Typheus, an Emperor is crowned, gifted with the King's raw power.

Third, the King arrived at the world of endless sand, infusing its unbridled storm with vile intent. King takes Knight. At the den of Yaldabaoth, a Chariot begins its ride, gifted with the King's accursed storm.

Fourth, the King claimed the world of ceaseless rain, destroying its iron warden and scattering it. King takes Bishop. Beneath the grave of Cetus, a Magician raises it's wand, gifted with the King's mockery of life.

Next, the King attempts a siege of the world of pure-fallen snow, but his army cannot defeat the raging demons that roam there. Queen checks King.

The King emerges on the obsidian Derse, and it is utterly decimated. The Invader pulls the golden Prospit from the sky, it is swallowed whole. The Invader and the King rule absolute. The Consorts, erased; the Heroes, imprisoned.

This is what I saw in the clouds. This is our doom."

> Bria: Repair robot with alchemy.

After fiddling around with the Punch Designix, you manage to recreate the ROBOT atop the Alchemiter. You can see lines of text scroll across it's lens-eyes.

BOOTING...

CPU: INTACT
HARD DRIVE: FAULTY
AI: FAULTY
ARTILLERY: INTACT
URANIUM CORE: INTACT

FULL REBOOT REQUIRED TO REPAIR SYSTEMS.

PERFORMING ENVIRONMENT SCAN.

A flash of light sweeps across you and the surrounding area.

GENETIC MARKERS DETECTED:
- S. PRESCOT: RISK NONE
- M. MAYVIEW: RISK NONE
- B. TRUONG: RISK LOW.

RISK MARGIN: ACCEPTABLE.
REBOOTING IN SAFE MODE.

DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR MACHINE...

A blue screen flashes before the robot powers off entirely. After a second, its eyes hum to life and it stands, surveying the area before looking at you.

???: Hey;

> Kiyo: Get info, get lost.

You scan and download the dream journal entry as a PDF using the Booktop, before returning the entire dream journal to the shelves. You thought this would be useful, and indeed it is. You really wouldn't want to make the BQ angry by taking something without her permission.

Deciding to leave without saying goodbye, since she seemed to have done that much earlier, you sling your Mooncloak hood up, and enter the raining exterior of the marshlands again, as the wet sounds of earth squelch beneath you. You begin trying to make your way back to Bria's house, though you are unsure if you can. Your hope was to return and enter that next gate above you, guarded by all those underlings, but the structure of the metaphysical game you're stuck in might be too rigid. If so, you'll have to go talk with BQ again. Maybe she might answer that you're not seeing.

Rudy: Called it

Fuck yea you knew you' get some sweet damn loot ain't nothin stopping you now!

Wait... First...

Rudy: Selfie with these important things.

You first take a glamor shot with Dovesprite, cute as it was.

You then take a picture with the statue, then it's plaque, both sides each, then you set down the camera, set the timer...

Then scuttle away holding Gungnir high up into the sky.

*click*

You spam all thsoe pictutes into the Memo and snatch up your phone. You take a second to look at Saul's house and see Bria!

Hey shes looking good!

Always nice to see your friends again, even dressing up like this is cool to!

You remember she had a demon thing... You also remember mentioning about the Goetic Demons and all that were kinda freaky looking but that didn't really fit her Demonsona thing she had the others into.

You weren't really into that, Mari mentioned something about maybe an Amgelsona but then you kinda went rambling about the various tiers of angels and stuff and how the further you go the less they actually start looking conventional. But they all could change shape, same for demons and angels...

So it didn't really matter what their "true form" looked like they could be what they wanted to be.

You wish you made a demonsona now, would have made the alchemy thing easier.

Or even the Angelsona...

...Now you got this spear tho.

...Wait... Gungnir? The legendary spear of Odin? It was light in hand but had a intrecately carved runed head, it was sharp, and almost no matter where he held it, it always seemed to answer his will and thrusted true. Really the ultimate weapon could have been many different spears in history really. Gae Bolg from celtic lore, the plethora of Hindu gods armaments, King Arthur's Rhongomyriad.

But hey, Gungnir was not bad in the slightest!

Who knows what it does in the game...

... Hmm...

Okay, you stab a few times, smack the statue of quite possibly yourself accidentally and damage the Plaque pretty hard, damn thing went right through the carving. Woopsie.

Uhh...

> Rudy: Abscond

You lad scramble out of the treasure room and run out the door, no way you're gonna get caught breaking something important like that no sir!

Right through the smaller door-

But... The other door...

No the words says it was underwhelming, best go through the one near the bird.

>Enter the small doorway​

Last edited:
===> Saul: Investigate

Feeling well equipped and well prepared, you walk across the strikingly solid cloud layer and go to find an opening in the sky fortress. Just the same your battles with various liches, ogres, basilisks and imps go along fairly uneventful. With the gear you sport you incur some minor injuries hear and there but manage to organize the chaos of battle like a well practiced conductor to a band. You scour through the courtyards and passageways, trying to scale the walls and find some kind of well guarded chamber.

> Mari: Prepare

While PM gets set up, you prepare yourself for the battle. Trusty scissors in hand, you get an idea of the battlefield's layout. Knowing that you have backup gives you a newfound sense of confidence, along with excitement as to what lies beyond the second gate.

You give PM a thumbs up when you are ready, then heading into battle. You channel your excitement and confidence into your movements, moving with swiftness and precision. Speaking of PM, you'll have to thank them once this is over!

But for now?

> Mari: Cut down your foes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back