• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Heavy Is The Crown

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
In the third and final year of the War, Imperus decreed that a sepulchre-city was to be built on the plains before the city, large enough to inter five thousand dead. When her daughters, the Witch-Queen and Goddess of War, finally fell, and Imperus bent the Infernal Houses before Throne, not one sarcophagus was left empty, nor a single name unrecorded.

Engraved above the great leaden doors of that cyclopean mausoleum are the words:

LOOK UPON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY

THIS IS THE COST

The true meaning remains occult.

- Giacomo Isley, The Authorized History of Throne, Hulbrad Publishing, YD290

The War is ended. Already, the seers have declared this to be the first Year of Dominion. The sorcerous pits at Galen's Face have fallen dark, their unspeakable denizens crawling into the night. Kari's host lies shattered and bloody on the fields of Throne, a feast for ghouls. The Great Houses Infernal are stripped to a shadow of their former selves, a blood-debt between devas so high as to be beyond payment without extinguishing their divine spark.

An age is ended, and an age begun.

Imperus, King of Kings, has bidden you last Scions of an Infernal House to attend zher at the Ashen Palace. A pilgrimage into the lair of the Dragon, to squabble for your share of the treasure. Imperus lies upon a hoard of nations, and by the blood of the gods that flows in your veins, you will reign again.

-------------------------------------------------

What's all this, then?

A Crucible: Darkening Skies campaign, with a twist.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Okay, start here - but don't panic! You don't have to read the whole thing; just the parts about the Infernal Houses, really, and as much else as catches your eye.

Okay, that's the setting - now what?

Now I want, oh, five people to agree on an Infernal House. Then I want those five people to make characters to fit that House, work out their relationships to each other, and get ready to play. See if you can all get different characters under the same theme.

And then...?

Then you play out the aftermath of the War of Three Dragons, starting with a visit to Imperus' court to set the scene. Squabble, bicker, backstab, and seek to elevate yourself or your House to greatness.

But what if we team up?

You live longer. It's a big, mean, wild fantasy world out there. Cabals of Magi drunk on newfound power, Vampires accustomed to unchallenged rule, inscrutable Trolls from the frozen north, ageless and enigmatic Crantiré may all prove your undoing. You must find allies, uncover plots against family and fortune, and abide by those edicts Imperus would have the Inquisition enforce with god-slaying weapons.

The Infernal Houses

Lezek, The House of Sun's Height. Virtue: Beauty. Vice: Pride

Hulbrad, The House of Apocalypse. Virtue: Patience. Vice: Sloth.

Olimak, The House of Trials. Virtue: Vengeance. Vice: Wrath.

Dellebron, The House of Abyssal Nadir. Virtue: Vigilance. Vice: Envy.

Lybar, The House of Sacred Flesh. Virtue: Discipline. Vice: Lust

Yrva, The House of World's Bone. Virtue: Control. Vice: Greed.

Archetypes of Value

The General, the commander of armies, the sword at dawn.

The Spymaster, the supreme diplomat, the knife in the dark.

The Master of Coin, the hidden hand, the voice in shadow.

The Lorekeeper, the unraveler of mysteries, the eye of wisdom.

The Architect, the builder of wonders, the hand which feeds.

The Adversary, the song unsilenced, the word that must be spoken.

Vital

A strong, personal, driving motivation for your character.

Optional

A situation, face, or location idea. Have some fun defining part of the world, but don't expect it all to be taken without necessary editing.

Oh god oh god oh god another Darkening Skies game. A thousand times yes please.

I can make a character for any house at any time. I've played Lezek and Yrva with a smackering of Dellebron. So I am a little weary of those two but not completely opposed. I'd have to think of something weird.

I enjoy the whole group, though if we were to start as Hulbrad, I wouldn't mind playing part to create the Library...

Though in truth, I'm fine with practically any House, though I'm still not overly fond of Lybar.

Then again, the Spymaster sounds like an interesting prospect...

Last edited by a moderator:
See, that's the joke. Everyone expects the Hulbrad Master of Whispers to be the shadowiest, shadiest, sneakiest motherfucker there is. But nah, they seems just-... Oh ho, I just remembered an old concept of mine...

I think I'll keep mute on this one, for the time being.

Then again, I also think playing as the Dellebron and deliciously self imploding might be hilarious. You know, like a once off leading up to the War of Tears.

Not especially, I haven't done this particular setting before, so I'll happily go with the popular vote and work around that! For the sake of voting I might lean towards Hulbrad; they seem interesting... but I'm open minded.

Fantastic! I was thinking my Hulbrad Architect obsessed with building things that shouldn't work but do. And out of things that shouldn't exist, bricks of dreams, mortar of lightening and souls melded into steel. All the while being as high as possible.

I will be a spymaster. And be completely hidden, as a tree amongst the forest.

By way of being the most average Hulbrad within the ranks of Hulbrad.

'Cause Hulbrad Edel is hoping to be the Quartermaster's assistant~

She's very nice. Pale, light blond, loves sundresses and dozing in the afternoon sun. A little clumsy, but she knows how to do evaluations of goods and how to make solid investments. Care for having an assistant?

I'm probably going to cannibalize one of my existing, dead Hosted Projects for this. I'll let you guys know when it's done.

For now, everyone is Ascendance 4 with 72 Attribute XP and 130 Skill XP, and receives one heirloom magical item of dubious balance.

Feel free to pitch ideas here and ask questions. Later today I'll probably post something about the last generation of Hulbrad, including your characters' parents.

Most of you will be siblings or close cousins. Also, almost all of you should have some combat skills, because it's a dangerous time period.

Fuzz, any ideas about the sneaky bastard martial art your character might employ?

The odd thing there is that I had an idea.

I was going to look through the list of Styles, and see if I can combine a style with the Hulbrad powerset and his own Expressions to replicate some of the more spectacular effects of Charcoal March of Spiders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back