Advice/Help Group RPs w/ applications?

Beann

The Bean
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Apologies if this is the wrong prefix but I was wondering if it's normal for group rps to require applications for an rper to join? I don't think I've seen any as of yet but I know it's quite common on Gaia (previous platform I rp'd on). I just don't wanna break any unknown etiquette or throw someone off by requiring one for a group rp I'm planning to make.

applications... as far as what? Are you asking for writing samples?

I do it all the time.

Its the character sheet. If its bad, I will throw them out. I don't like being a strict DM, but found its so much better to start being mean then loosening up, than having to crack down later on. Don't think you'll be breaking etiquette. I've done writing samples too. I just hated reading them and they were too effective at weeding people out. (I.e. No one applied and Gan was a sad boy.)

You're the DM. It's your Game. Want to tell everyone that every 3rd post much be yellow font, go ahead. Don't worry about offending anyone other than breaking rules.

Its the character sheet.
A character sheet as an application? I think just about every RP I've ever gotten into in the last... 10 years? has required a CS. That's standard operating procedure as far as I know.

Yeah, writing samples first. Though I guess character sheets work the same way.
I see no issue in requiring writing samples. This lets you filter out peeps that aren't up to the standard you're looking for. This especially if you are going to run a small group, and only have a handful of spots to give out. It's in your best interest, imo. I think more people should do it.

My advice on writing samples though is, if you do them, be strict on them, light on the CS. People have a threshold of how much work they'll put into something. If both the writing sample and CS are a pain in the ass, you'll get few applicants. If there's a writing sample but CS is easy, people are more likely to go for it.

Also, RP's live and die with hype. Get people excited about their writing sample. Make it relevant to the story.

I actually keep multiple writing samples on hand, for a simple link-to-post via google docs.

Ridiculously common. Sometimes I don't, though, but that's only if I'm RPing with guys I'm REALLY close with or want to do something experimental.

If you see it as normal to not for your own RPs, then go ahead and not do it. Based on what you said it works.

... it did work where you came from right?

I'd say if you're going for competitive character applications, as opposed to just denying applications that don't meet your standard (whatever that happens to be), then be open and honest about how you choose the characters to be in the RP and why you are more likely to reject some and accept others (assuming they are all high quality).

There's nothing more frustrating than writing a huge CS only to be told "well I would rather have all the characters be elves so I rejected your dwarf" without them mentioning a preference for elves to start with. And I've come across even more annoying rejection reasons than that, ones that actively contradict the GM's guidance in creating character sheets to start with.

The GM should always reserve the right to reject or request changes to character applications.

And omg Ganryu Ganryu yes! I swear the amount of times people have the reverse opinion and are like "the only way I can make sure people stick around is to make a ridiculously over the top character sheet" and then the RP immediately dies because everyone is burnt out.

I don’t do a formal application necessarily for my roleplays that I GM. And I don’t really expect top notch character sheets because the ability to make a CS does not define how well someone roleplays. I just look at people’s roleplaying history. ^^

I've seen several types, the most of which fall into one of two camps:

1. Limited Spots Selection: Basically, makes a competition out of joining the RP. The ones that provide the best writing samples or character sheets (according to the GM) take the spots.
2. Approval: After showing interest and joining the roleplay, but before actually roleplaying, players will make character sheets or provide writing samples (the former more common than the latter). Rather than having to be better these just have to be good enough. If there are limited spots, then it will be first come first serve.

I personally go with #2. Another method I've also seen used is invitation-only roleplays, which is also a method I've used.

That said, there are also roleplays which have no or such small requirements that you pretty much just need to show up.

However, it is important to keep in mind: Never, under any circumstances, should you post in an IC without asking the GM. It's rude, disruptive and it can break the immersion for some. Adding a CS to the character thread without asking isn't as bad, but still rude. So ask the GM if you want to join a roleplay that's ongoing.

I don’t do a formal application necessarily for my roleplays that I GM. And I don’t really expect top notch character sheets because the ability to make a CS does not define how well someone roleplays. I just look at people’s roleplaying history. ^^
Imma be honest. I stalk like crazy for people joining my RP's. Like, anything's off, "huh, wonder if they're any good." -look at post history-

"All one liners? Eh, probably not in line with what I do." (Not that anything's wrong with that, I just run advanced RP's, I couldn't keep up with that speed!)
"Flaky as hell? Maybe not."
" Got in a fight with all the GM's? A) Popcorn, B) Maybe not."
"What the hell are they saying in this last post anyways? Is this English? Por si es espanol, estaria bien con esto, pero no hay ninguno tipo de lengua que es la misma de esto basura."

I find it to work better than a writing sample. I'm not overtly picky (though I probably have one helluva reputation with some people{Sorry?}), but definitely easier to vet people at the beginning than later on. I've seen some people change, one person in one of my current RPs has gone from mediocre to probably one of the best writers in the RP, buuuuut changes like that are rare, and generally gradual.

Another reason it's important to do. RP's live and die on hype! I'll say it 1,000 times! You get one person not posting, you can ruin the momentum and fun for everyone. Also, remember, you're saving THEM time by setting expectations at the beginning.

But yeah, just my opinion.

Another reason it's important to do. RP's live and die on hype! I'll say it 1,000 times! You get one person not posting, you can ruin the momentum and fun for everyone. Also, remember, you're saving THEM time by setting expectations at the beginning.

This.

While I think it's important to establish some kind of semi-ordered post turn, waiting too long for someone to post can become the death spiral of the RP. Sure, you can skip over for a bit, especially if its a large group. You can even stand to lose some in this manner with little issue. but in small groups, it is much more detrimental. That's why I think it is also important to establish a POST RATE along with the other requisites. Because moving too quickly will also have people drop out. So laying down the parameters of how often you want (and the variance of how much deviation you will tolerate) posts to be made is just as important as inducting those with a fitting style.

Imma be honest. I stalk like crazy for people joining my RP's. Like, anything's off, "huh, wonder if they're any good." -look at post history-

"All one liners? Eh, probably not in line with what I do." (Not that anything's wrong with that, I just run advanced RP's, I couldn't keep up with that speed!)
"Flaky as hell? Maybe not."
" Got in a fight with all the GM's? A) Popcorn, B) Maybe not."
"What the hell are they saying in this last post anyways? Is this English? Por si es espanol, estaria bien con esto, pero no hay ninguno tipo de lengua que es la misma de esto basura."

I find it to work better than a writing sample. I'm not overtly picky (though I probably have one helluva reputation with some people{Sorry?}), but definitely easier to vet people at the beginning than later on. I've seen some people change, one person in one of my current RPs has gone from mediocre to probably one of the best writers in the RP, buuuuut changes like that are rare, and generally gradual.

But yeah, just my opinion.

I try to stalk GMs before joining group roleplays but some people have their profiles set to friends only. :/

Just use the site's search function. 😉
y'know... I've tried the search thing, but I get like 3 or 4 options that I've already looked over and not been interested in. And my search wasn't even super specific. I was just looking for a post-apocalypse RP w/out zombies. I went as far back as 2 weeks with little to show for it. I'm not putting it down or anything, but the search thing isn't as useful as a lot of people make it seem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back