• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern gotham

fin

"all i do is finesse, man."

THE STORY

Prelude

For so long the legend of the Batman was an urban legend. A myth created to make the citizens of Gotham feel as safe as those in Metropolis, who’d just been introduced to the world’s first superhero, Superman. The truth of the matter was that a man with a vengeance had indeed taken up the mantle of Gotham’s Dark Knight. A man who was finished with the unjust rule and corruption of his city, and set out to exact justice for his fellow flesh and blood.

The Batman protected Gotham for well over twenty years. Not a person but a whisper; a shadow; a force you could not see, but knew deep down inside was watching your back. He guarded Gotham, and with time the man of the myths was proven real.

Over the years the city’s guardian had gained notoriety amongst the wealthy who benefitted from Gotham’s crime, and a strained relationship with the Gotham City Police Department. His early career was fought against Gotham’s crooked and wealthy; Oswald Cobblepot, Tony Zucco, and the Black Mask. The particle accelerator explosion in Central City caused a ripple of criminal activity all across the Northern Hemisphere, near tripling the crime rates of Gotham. Icicle, the Killer Croc, and most notorious of all, the Joker took to the city’s streets. Powered foes adding to the struggles of the Bat.

The Caped Crusader’s fight against the Crowned Prince was one that filled the streets of Gotham with blood and… laughter. It was a difficult task for the Bat to put away a man whose goals were blurred, and ever evolving. A tango that would push the Bat to his limit and more.

The Batman’s connection with the G.C.P.D. was one of distrust, barring Commissioner James Gordon. He adopted the sidekick, Robin, a moniker that would be passed down from partner to partner. A confidant, and somebody the Batman could trust throughout his activities of the night.

The Justice League was an initiative formed by the Batman years before their initial introduction. He had kept record of Earth’s strongest, and was able to assemble the seven members; Superman, Aquaman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern to stop the world’s first global threat, the invasion of Steppenwolf. The world was forced to shut down as portals formed all across the globe; November 3-10 2020 are remembered as the ‘Days of the Invasion.’ The world was quite literally in the hands of these seven heroes, and fortunately, they were able to hold off Steppenwolf.

Alas, to do so, one of the heroes had to force Steppenwolf back into a portal, and self-detonate along with the powerful, interstellar weapon, the Motherbox. Years patrolling the streets of Gotham had prepared the Batman for the ultimate sacrifice; his own life. Donning a fortified metal armour, Batman ascended into space with a device powerful enough to destroy Steppenwolf and his army so long as the portal behind him closed and protected the earth.

November 10, the Day of the Dark Knight.

Aftermath

The world mourned the death of Batman before it began to rebuild. In Gotham, crime ceased for weeks after his death. Supervillains that had fought at the Bat’s side to protect the earth allowed the city to heal, and the memory of the Batman the silence that he deserved.

Bruce Wayne was buried months later to avoid any indication that he may have been Batman. Accounts and bank statements were upheld by a computer program designed by Wayne himself before his passing. His estate was passed on to his son, Dominic Wayne. Wife, Selena Kyle has been missing since his death, believed to be one of the many casualties of Steppenwolf’s invasion.

As with peace, chaos quickly follows. The bitter twin of New York City, Gotham, was never going to be quiet for long. A place where people came to transform into quite literally something else, and cause mayhem in a dark place without rules, Gotham yearns for conflict.

It is fall 2021 now. The crime rate in Gotham has steadily begun to ascend once again. As much as the people admire the Bat, money doesn't grow on trees in a place where it only circulates amongst the rich. The police never had a strong hand over Gotham’s organized crime, and the influx in powered villains has only continued to stretch them thin. As usual, prisoners are routinely breaking out of Arkham Asylum.

As wealthy as Gotham is, it will be its own demise.

Someone- or a group of people will need to rise up and fill the void left in the heart of Gotham.

do
you
feel it?

GUIDELINES
001 Follow all RpN rules and regulations.
002 This is available only to those 18 and older.
003 This is an application-based roleplay; NOT first-come, first-serve. Take your time with applications, and create a riveting character that can truly move/carry a plot.
004 Be active! Real life comes first as always, but I expect 2-3 replies a week. There will be slower weeks, and faster ones, just try to keep it afloat, eh?
005 Respect. Simply put, treat others the way you want to be treated. The characters might have conflict but that should not seep into the ooc.
006 Literacy is a must. No one-liners. 2 paragraphs minimum. It is always quality over quantity, but this should be pretty literate.
007 Realistic face claims only. This is a realistic take on the comics similar to the DCEU, not the cartoons.
008 While it is set in a "super hero" universe, I would like this rp to be founded on realism. Limit the flamboyancy of powers as it is the dark, and gritty Gotham City.
009 You don't need any prior knowledge of DC lore, though those who are already aware would further enjoy the story.
010 It is going to be character-driven, with a plot hanging overhead.

GM'S NOTE
Heyo, I'm Fin! This is an rp I've been thinking about starting up for some time, and though she's unaware, one of my friends Fighty actually inspired me to start this up!

Please, please, please get excited about making plots for your characters. Whether detectives, vigilantes, or anti-heroes, the main cast are going to be able to deal with their own lives and turmoil, and when things get slow, that's when I'd transition the group to the next mission.

I will introduce a Discord when characters have been selected, so keep an eye out for that. I don't have a set number for the cast, just going to select whatever characters I believe would truly fit in Gotham and contribute to the story. The characters won't start out as a team per se (though they will be nudged together because... plot) so don't feel they have to exactly be team players right out of the bat! Just-- some sort of morals, eh?

We'll sort that out later.

© pasta

i'll tag some folks after a bit, let's just see who sees it first.

my little heart's uh pitter-pattering, pitter-pattering.

absolutely interested! ^^

I cant read it
Nice to see another bag fan start a bat group

I cant read it
Nice to see another bag fan start a bat group
fin omg this looks so cool!! i'm super interested 👁
GOTHAM RP

BOTTOM TEXT.
I have a fully swell idea brewing up in my head. Thanks for the tag, Fin
excited you've all shown interest, hehehehe *evil laughter*

also, i could send you an unformatted version if need be

oop, and tagging TYPE TYPE

ooh, i forgot to add that character-wise, you can adopt canon characters (cass cain, barba gordon, dick grayson, etc.) if you want. it's just that some parts will need to be modified to either a) fit this rp b) be realistic and not too comic-y.

i probably forgot other stuff so i'll comment regularly.

um idk when cs' will be up so bear with haha. hope no longer than a couple days though.

Extremely interested. Although I know character reservation tends to be a bit iffy, I would absolutely love to play as dear Dr. Crane. Hands down one of my favourite DC characters since I was a little kid.

I'M SUPER INTERESTED IN THIS
I’m interested and would looove to snag Harley Quinn if I can. ^33^
From watching the actual gotham show, then to reading this idea. I am completely in love with this idea. You can successfully count me in.
I am also interested
DCEU style City Super Setting? You have my attention!
Extremely interested. Although I know character reservation tends to be a bit iffy, I would absolutely love to play as dear Dr. Crane. Hands down one of my favourite DC characters since I was a little kid.
Looks really interesting.
i'm so glad that there's interest! the cs sheets will be up today.

just wanted to point out though that this will be sort of a colder, realistic take (not that gotham isn't already). as for characters, i'd like them to be more focused on the bat-family, or vigilantism so they have more reason to be brought together. i hope it's clear, and i'm sure i can answer any questions.

I was hoping to go Vigilante, but I do have a few questions. Can I make my character an OC? Can they be a Metahuman? Depending on age will we also play throughout the Highschool if enough characters are that young? And finally how high are the chances that the Vigilante route eventually gets us our asses handed to us in our first meeting with the Batfamily? :v

I was hoping to go Vigilante, but I do have a few questions. Can I make my character an OC? Can they be a Metahuman? Depending on age will we also play throughout the Highschool if enough characters are that young? And finally how high are the chances that the Vigilante route eventually gets us our asses handed to us in our first meeting with the Batfamily? :v
oooh love all the questions.

yeah, you can definitely make an oc. metahumans are uncommon in gotham, moreso a central or star city thing, but they are present. so yes, they can be a metahuman!

the age limit is going to be 18 to 25. there might be highschoolers but i doubt we would do school skips. it would be interesting to have a character dealing with homework on top of all the vigilantism.

and hmm, concerning the batfamily, it really depends on if people swipe those characters. i would love to have a cassandra cain, or dick grayson, but i know its a realistic take and people want to bring their own characters to life (heck, i'm not even using a canon character either). you definitely can have your oc have some history with the batfamily characters (with moderation) but if no one's playing them, they'll probably be somewhere else unless needed at some point in time.

I'm caving in, @ me when the CS is up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back