Gotham

Tim had to take more factors into consideration than he cared to admit. Brian posed a simple, yet still challenging question with a rationale that Tim couldn't counter. It would be far better for them if they knew each and every threat in the city as well as all of their potential allies. The problem happened to be the sheer amount of threats in Gotham as well as the fact Waller and Beetle decided they wanted to keep each squad independent of each other--even if they operated in the same city. In short, Tim was bound by bureaucratic red tape that even he had a specific disdain for. He mulled over how to answer Brian, but it continuously circled to the same simple fact: every answer he came up with was just as irritating as the last. And, if he irritated him, it was likely to frustrate Brian tenfold. Instead, he transitioned to answering Alphus; his questions had answers that Tim could give readily.

"You have both been given rank in the League, yes. Brian is a Senior Agent whereas you are his Apprentice. I pulled as many strings as I can to cut a few responsibilities from Brian and of course keep Alphus out of the spotlight," Tim responded. There was actually a brief period of silence where his answers would have normally fallen, but he was lost in attempting to word Brian's. Nevertheless, now that he had a valid train of thought to ride, he was capable of filling that gap easily. "If you have not seen the news, some Atlantean is causing problems in Downtown. Chances are, you two will be dispatched soon to monitor and assess. Depending on his threat level or apparent motif, you may question him. A little more dangerous than Troubadour. Regardless, if he causes a substantial problem, Torrent will have to shed his duties to come here. As the Representative of Atlantis, he's the only person on mainland that can do anything to this guy without causing international problems. Atlanteans have diplomatic immunity anywhere they go on Earth in response to their generosity with technology, defending shores from storms and a handful of other sea-related natural disasters," Tim explained.

What he didn't answer was their inquiry about the Gentlemen Ghost. Primarily because the Gentlemen Ghost was a long-term plague on the city while this Atlantean was more akin to an acute, allergic reaction. It had to be dealt with first.

@The Regal Rper @Crono

Last edited by a moderator:
Freddy thought about Drake's question for a moment, eventually shrugging, "No, don't think I have heard of him, sounds like some kind of two bit nobody thief though." He looked at the shadow on the table, studying it for a few minutes before shaking his head, "Okay, so it defiantly looks like some kind of shadow manipulation thing then, put that out though. Let's not bring to much attention to this table please, unless you want to be arrested for not only plotting the murder of the current head of the GCPD, but also for doing so with one of the most feared men in Gotham..."

@ChazGhost @Sir Les Paul

"You guested right, my powers are shadow manipulation.  But You are wrong on who my father is. Very wrong" Drake said smirking before snapping his fingers and having his shadow go back to normal. "The reason you may of not heard of him is because he has been retired or on a break from the super business be it help the good or bad side for years now. My father is a immortal with shadow powers, shadow stronger and more varied then my. He has gone head to head with the flash as well as many other hero and villains." Drake explained with happily. "And if he wanted to he could become more well known but these day he enjoy his wealth and relaxes away from the battles of good and evil." Drake added.

@LokiofSP @Sir Les Paul

"An hour?" Brian's brow furrowed slightly, trying to deduce how long he thought he was in that alternate plane before giving up. Wasn't exactly surprising that there was a time difference. Once Alphus started using the nutcracker on the new comm Brian couldn't prevent the amused smirk if he'd wanted to, watching and secretly hoping it would shatter into tiny bits of tech. Much to his disappointment there was no crunch noise nor any damage. "Certainly an improvement from the old League communicators." Alphus started reading the instructions, Brian chose to continue with his meal and deal with the box later.

"That must have been a hell of a lot of strings." Not that Brian didn't believe Tim had them though. Now he was basically on the League's payroll once again, didn't feel nearly the same as the first time. Likely because it was a different League and things were different, both with the League and himself. Momentarily the man poked and prodded his fork into a piece of tender meat, Brian was still not completely sure why Tim chose to bring him of all people on. Sure, the man had given him the explanation, and while that should be enough there was still some doubt in his mind. Once he realized just how long he'd been dwelling on it he pushed the fork into the meat and looked up, ears locking back into the conversation just as there was mention of an Atlantean. 

"An Atlantean in Gotham? There is a first time for everything I guess." Brian was never known for his diplomatic courtesies. So the thought of being sent out on this didn't exactly win him over. "Why not send the kid now? Let the water breathers deal with their own water breather problems." He shrugged, continuing to further finish his meal. The fact that Tim had skirted around answering his question about who else was active around here didn't go unnoticed, why though was beyond him. Brian chose to drop it for the time being. 

@The Regal Rper @Sir Les Paul

Freddy nodded, "So he passed these powers down onto you I'm assuming. Okay, that's fine and all, but I didn't ask for a backstory on your father, I asked about your powers because I want to know more about you..." The waitress came up to the table and placed down their orders at that moment, leaving a rather large plate of fried chicken and waffles before him. Unlike his talk with Damian, he didn't just order to get the old man off his back, he'd ordered because he was actually rather famished, and for once in a long time, wasn't in the mood instant noodles. 

He reached out for syrup, drenching the waffles in them, but attempting to leave the chicken as untouched by the contents of the bottle as possible. He cut into the waffles and took a rather large bite before pointing his fork at Drake, "You see, the thing is, I don't know allot about you, either of you for that matter, and I don't much like that, because you seem to know a hell of a lot about me. So even if you don't want to tell me your whole life story, I at least expect to know more about how you operate, so instead of trying to give me a history lesson about your dad and the people he's punched, maybe tell me more about you. For example, how you met the guy to your left..." He pointed his fork at NoOne as he said this, but kept his gaze on Drake, before scrunching up his face slightly and reaching for the hot sauce bottle, splashing it's contents all about the plate before taking another bite, "There we go, much better..."

@Sir Les Paul  @ChazGhost (Completely forgot to post this, here ya go)

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Understood[/COLOR]." Alphus' voice finally said after a few minutes had passed in silence. As he said so, the instruction manual he'd been reading closed with a slight plop before he finished off the rest of the water in his glass. The answer was in reference to not just his reading, but also in what Tim had said. Like Brian, Alphus had also noticed the evasion in answering Brian's question in relation to any nearby allies. Whether it was because his mentor knew the truth to that and hid it for a certain cause or whether it was due to restriction and regulations, Alphus wasn't sure either. Either way he'd gotten an answer to the question that had been itching him since they left the park. They were finally in the ULJ.

Whether that would prove to be a benefit or not, remained to be seen. Finishing off the last of his lamb, Alphus finished his second glass of water just in time to see Wilfred enter the room- barely leaving the large oak doors only to make a single motion with his hand for the young man that meant one thing: Follow. And to Alphus that signal meant only one thing, Suzie was here.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Excuse me[/COLOR]." Rising and picking up his dishes, Alphus made his way out. "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Ah yes, Brian[/COLOR]", his tone reflective. "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]If you wouldn't mind when you are done with Sir Tim, and if I am still around I would like to know what you meant by that girl you've mentioned at least more than twice so far. The one that seems to relate with the Troubadour if you wouldn't mind." [/COLOR]His tone made it clear it wasn't a question. He genuinely wanted to know, but at the same time it wasn't demanding or severe, just casual but still fully implicit in his curiosity in what those two had been through in that other realm. Turning his attention to his mentor, Alphus made a small nod in gesture as he left the room with Wilfred soon following him in suite after a quick bow and "[COLOR= rgb(218, 165, 32)]Welcome back[/COLOR]", to Brian.

The oak doors closed with a gentle yet final, thud.

@Crono @Sir Les Paul

"I can get side tracked sometimes, it's just how I roll. I'm a open book definitely compared to NoOne here. All I know about him is a genius, doesn't care about breaking the law to get a job done, and has a weird bat fetish." Drake said as he got his food. He took a sip of his soda before adding to his last sentence "That was joke... mostly but he real have obsession with the bat family." Then he took a bite out of his burger as Freddy kept talking. "Not sure how telling you how I met Mr.Bat fetish here helps you understand how I operate but sure I'll tell the tail anyways. It all started a few weeks ago...

Drake was wearing swim trunks as he was relaxing in a hot tub on a roof top pent house with two beautiful women in bikinis. "Wow can't believe I'm really here with the world famous NeoShade" one of the women said smiling before kissing Drake's cheek.

"Well what can I say I'm a sucker for a cute face" Drake said smirking. Then he heard a scream coming a alley nearby. "I'm sorry ladies but a hero's work is never truly done" Drake said before getting out of the hot tub and quickly put his suit on. The women pouted as Drake finally enter his shadow and quickly traveled to the entrance of the alley. In the alleyway there was a women in a red dress with two huge men with huge hand guns. "Now gentlemen this can go two ways, the non painful and painful way. Which will it be?" Drake said crossing his arms. The men gave there answer by aiming there guns and firing at Drake.

Drake just went into his shadow and went behind the thugs. Before they could turn around Drake's shadow turned into spikes and went through there feet. The thugs went to the ground holding there feet in pain before Drake turned away smiling and held a hand out to help the women up. But as he did that the women pulled out a knife and tried to stab Drake. Drake was able to dodge and used his shadow to upper cut the women and knocked her out...

Then NoOne walked into the alley and said how impressed he was of me. He then went onto tell how awesome he thought I was and explained how he needed my help to bring in a new era of crime fighting!" Drake fibbed as he told the ,totally not made up, story about how he meant NoOne. After telling his tall tale Drake relaxed in his seat smiling.

@Sir Les Paul @LokiofSP

Marcel listened to Drake despite quite literally neither Freddy nor Marcel being even remotely interested in his story. If he had the will, he could have likely sieved through it to determine whether it was false, or more specifically, what parts of it were false. However, Marcel was fairly sure Drake was only going on in this completely unneeded detail to irritate Freddy. Despite arguably being the most dangerous person at the table, Drake was easily the most immature. Freddy said not to do something, Drake did it. Almost an odd sibling rivalry if not for the history of Freddy; and, his disdain for irritants. He had a short temper and no real reason to tolerate either of them. At the same time, seeing Drake act the way he did likely gave Freddy the slightly-beneficial impression that he was unprofessional. That, just as Drake suggested, he was just a recruit with abilities along for the ride. While annoying, it made him far less dangerous.

Marcel had ordered French toast with a side of a single, over-easy egg. By the time Drake was through, Marcel chipped in. "I'll keep it short, all things considered," he said, making a snide remark at Drake--all in jest, but still. "Parents were caught up in the fallout of Alcatraz. I was an engineering student for Wayne Tech. Inside knowledge said the old man knew about the attack before it happened and let it happen to destroy LexCorp public image. A few well placed backdoors later and I confirmed it," Marcel said, giving his speech in short, tiny increments. "So, I stole a large sum of money and some prototype blueprints. Now, I'm a master of disguise due to it, know the coding for almost every major corporation on this coast, and quite frankly, I want to bring down the remaining members of the Bat family before exposing what that old man did to them and the world when he decided his senile old mind deserved to play God..."

Marcel sounded very matter-of-fact, but his voice hid something. Something monstrous. Within his voice, there was a primal, predatory tone. Marcel was completely serious about everything he said, but coming from anyone else, it may have been the ranting of a madman. If not for seeing what his mind was capable of with Gordon, he might have come off as some tinfoil conspiracy theorist. But, no... there was something authentic about Marcel. Despite the lie he just told both of them, his passion for bringing down everything Bruce Wayne ever touched was still present. He didn't need to lie about that.

"I'm no fighter," Marcel said, "you could probably take me down. Intelligence, intimidation and tactics... those are my tools, Ron. Until now, you likely had no idea I had no skills in close combat. You would question if it was wise to come at me. That was intentional." 

@LokiofSP @ChazGhost

Tim looked up at Brian, his eyes narrowed and peering directly into the man. Once Alphus was gone, he sat down his fork and waited. Silence. "Don't waste my time, Hall. You know something Alphus doesn't... it likely won't be long before we get the message to intercept the Atlantean. Do fully debrief me," Tim instructed him in a flat tone. 

@Crono (Sorry for the short post here, but I couldn't think of a way to fluff this up easily.)

@The Regal Rper (You could begin your side-plot thing now, if you want.)

Brian had finished his food and had just sat at the table as the earlier , watching as Alphus left with a mention to what he'd spoken of once or twice with the kid. Between the one that Troubadour had killed in Gotham and the one from the vision he'd been showed he wouldn't be sure which to speak of first. The man let out a huff, not particularly looking forwards to the conversation but nodded in agreement anyways. At Wilfred's Welcome Back, Brian had nodded his head like he was tipping a non-existent hat in return. 

Once both had left he was met with Tim's quick and blunt instructions causing Brian to roll his eyes as he turned back to the older man, "I was getting to it you old coot." Brian shook his head, "Observant as always." Brian stood and stretched his wings, settling his arms onto the back of the chair he'd just exited preferring to stand. "Troubadour mentioned something about Alphus' soul, that he was special. That it had been touched by some force, fate maybe." Brian's voice distinctly going flat when mentioning fate. "And that he wasn't the only one in Gotham, warned me against the two meeting each other in a sense. He'd also warned me about telling Alphus this." Brian was watching Tim intently to see if he he could catch any reactions. "I am going to tell him, but I want your opinion and take on this first. You know Alphus, but I just met the kid. Does any of what Troubadour said resonate at all with what you know of the kid?"

@Sir Les Paul

Tim contemplated what Brian said. If not for this being the Troubadour, a being quite literally capable of manipulating souls, Tim would likely ignore a statement like this entirely. The problem that Tim tried to wrap his head around was the entire idea of what Troubadour meant. Was this a mystic force? What was fate? What did it mean? Maybe someone like he knew, but even Tim was left in the dark. The only real thought Tim had of his own was a memory of a fortune teller in Bludhaven once telling Dick he was touched by fate, but even then, that old woman was hardly reliable and the phrase 'touched by fate' couldn't exactly be uncommon. The unfortunate fact was that even Tim had limited experience in the mystic arts. Bruce was the only one that ever dabbled with them.

"To be honest, Brian, I'm most interested in something you just said. Troubadour warned you about telling Alphus... why?" Tim asked. As always, Tim was able to analyze what he was told to look for any opening to learn more. He may not have understood half of what Troubadour meant when he was being cryptic, but there might have been something he said that was more straightforward. Either way, Tim imagined an extensive period of time was going to be spent researching or contacting other members of the League with greater expertise in the field. 

@Crono

Brian huffed at the older man answering his question with a question, though he couldn't blame Tim for wanting to know more before giving up anything on his end. Well, he could, but it was expected from Drake. "Troubadour was afraid Alphus would go and get a big head about it all. Sounded like in the past some would get a messiah complex when they were told." Brian raised up from his slouched position and looked over his shoulder to eye the door Alphus had left through momentarily before looking back at Tim. "I don't think your boy will have that problem." The man shrugged his shoulders. "And if he did decide to, I'd just have to knock him back down a peg or two."

Brian crossed his arms over his chest, starting to pace a little, if nothing else to keep moving. "What did Waller have to say about bringing me back in? Can't imagine he was thrilled about the idea, though I suspect he also didn't care too much beyond a representation standpoint." Brian wasn't sure exactly why he was asking, curiosity maybe. He wasn't the type to enjoy being left out of such things that involved him personally, and Drake had blindsided him with this. "Was this your plan and doing or did Waller get word what you were doing?" Brian honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear Waller found out about Tim putting together the duo, and decided to get ahead of that by attaching a leash on the two of them. A slack one from the sounds of it, but a leash nonetheless. 

@Sir Les Paul

Two brown brass, polished door knobs slowly turned- then the tanned hickory of patio slowly swung outward before Alphus took the lead. He hadn't taken several steps before he paused to take in his surroundings only for that faint nostalgic smell of tobacco to come wafting through the air as if it had been here all along. Oh, was all he thought, before quickly turning his attention to see if Wilfred was going to follow. The head of staff did such, only after the doors had been closed and covered with curtains for privacy.

With a wave of his hand forward, Wilfred beckoned Alphus to proceed.

And proceed they did.

Two minutes of silence go by. The only sound to be heard are the gentle tap of steps followed soon after by another door being opened through the hall and into a foyer. This one led to other rooms but Alphus, who knew the place well didn't wait. He took the lead.

Tension, could be felt in the silent atmosphere. "[COLOR= rgb(139, 69, 19)]It has been a long time has it not, Young Alphus[/COLOR]?" Wilfred asked- cautiously mind you. Alphus did not reply, instead he kept his steady and usual pace going, only to glance back at Wilfred after his question had been asked and offer a small, pseudo smile.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Yes. Yes, it has[/COLOR]." Two years to be exact. Two years since anyone last set foot in these halls, till recently. Not because Tim had said no one should or Alphus had asked that no one enter this particular section of the large mansion, but because Wilfred had strongly advised his staff never to do so unless he or Tim saw it was necessary. And even then the head of the Durn staff, stressed the importance of checking with him first even if Mr. Tim gave the order. Now as they walked through the foyer that a younger Alphus, and younger Rebecca used to play through when their parents had invited guests to their home, Wilfred could see it now, even if Alphus made it impossible to see by action... the young man still was not willing to talk about "them."

The walk through the foyer was short. In spite of paintings that had recently cleaned or removed, in spite of pictures that beckoned attention as they passed through the lobby, eyes of disinterest shunned their existence and focused on their destination ahead.

A staircase later and the two were in front of a krosswood door,d ecorated with red carnations, and painted white to add the contrast of the red. Inscribed in golden cursive, the name "[COLOR= rgb(218, 165, 32)]Rebecca Suzillan Durn.[/COLOR]" Without hesitation, Alphus knocked twice. Seconds went by before an audible reply was made.

"Enter." A gentle, clear voice said from within

A hand moved for the door handle but paused just inches from it. Alphus looked back to Wilfred, with invitation in his voice. "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Coming[/COLOR]?"

A warm smile was all the thinly moustache man offered, "[COLOR= rgb(139, 69, 19)]I'm afraid not Alphus. This is a... special, moment for you and your sister. Reuniting after so many months. I will make preparations in case, Miss Suzillan is hungry, till then[/COLOR]" a small gesture with his head ushered Alphus to go forward. "[COLOR= rgb(139, 69, 19)]I will see you two when you are done[/COLOR]." And with that, the butler and advisor left through the halls they'd came.

With Wilfred gone, Alphus was left with one thing left to do. Answer Suzie's call. Turning the silver door handle Alphus entered and was greeted with the sight of his sister's back facing him, as she stared out awning windows, towards the distant lights of Gotham.  Completely ignoring his existence as he often did to trivial matters his secretary would often try to draw his attention to during work hours. Finally after a full minute, Alphus called her by her nickname.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Suzie. It is good to see you again[/COLOR]." His sister didn't respond immediately. Hiding a mischievious grin as she kept her back to him, before suppressing the urge to both hit and hug her brother, she turned with a calm expression.

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Glad you could finally pay me a visit, Alphie. Why don't you take a seat. We have a lot to catch up on.[/COLOR]"

glance back.jpg

Freddy felt his eye twitch as Drake finished his story. He swallowed the food in his mouth and pointed his fork at Drake, his nostrils flaring ever so slightly as he found himself getting very quickly annoyed. No, annoyed wasn't the right word, in many ways, he felt disrespected"I'd prefer you save your shitty stand-up for the open mic bars, because as of right now I asked you a question that you haven't properly answered, and I'd ask you answer it correctly, because I can just walk out and never have to talk to either of you ever again. I'd be perfectly fine working alone, I've done it so far without much trouble..."

He found himself calming down once Marcel began to talk, relaxing just a bit as he actually answered his questions, though something about what he said did raise a few questions in Freddy's mind, "Hold on a moment, if you're expertise is on intimidation and tactics, why bring me along? You have a meta-human next to you, so it can't be my fighting ability, and those two things are the only other two things I can really bring to the table. So tell my this: why me? Was it because you thought I had some kind of connections with the Bat Family? Because if that's what you think, you couldn't be more wrong. The only one I've really talked to is the 'Savior of Gotham', Black Beetle. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure the others think I'm just a wannabe idiot running around Gotham like a maniac."

@Sir Les Paul @ChazGhost

Everybody a critic... so I may of stretched the truth of the tale a little... But mainly answered his question of how I met NoOne... Ohh NoOne is telling his origin story... Drake thought to himself after Freddy was done yelling at him. Drake listened to NoOne's story and came to one conclusion, he was lying. He thought this for a few reasons. First and biggest was him really telling the story. Drake has been with him for weeks now and he is now just suddenly telling the story when Freddy is getting annoyed. Then for not being a fighter like he said he wasn't, he really good at fighting. Him and Drake fought through a building of thugs and drug dealers before. Drake's no super detective or anything but he has met enough con men to know when he was being trick, especially when there was so many holes in his story from Drake prospective.

Drake rolled his eyes at NoOne's story and decide to just bring it up with him later. Maybe parts of the story was true but Drake wasn't going put his money on anything yet. "It's not like a team can't use more then one fighter. Also my set of skill lead more to stealth combat then normal combat. I'm a gentlemen thief by trade, I can steal almost anything I put my mind to. So other then training to use my shadow, I'm not trained in any fighting styles." Drake said to try to answer Freddy's recent spree of questions. He didn't known Marcel real reason to team up with Freddy but then again he trusted that Marcel knew what he was doing.

@Sir Les Paul @LokiofSP

A loud slurp accompanied the passing of a gentle cool breeze, which was chased by a somewhat mundane sounding sigh.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Manners, Suzillan[/COLOR]", instructed Alphus as he too took sip from his own teacup.

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Lighten-up, Timothy[/COLOR]", Suzie returned- again taking another gratingly loud sip from her own teacup. No doubt to spite her brother in the most jocular of manners.

Ignoring his sister's jabs, Alphus looked out on to the distant view of Gotham River from where they sat. The talk in Rebecca's room did not last. Ten minutes at best. The two Durn siblings merely traded natter- talk of mostly how these past eleven months had went for one another and what had happened in their lives outside of anything considered... dangerous. For Alphus he'd been brief, merely told his sister what she wanted as she would be relentless if he didn't tell her now. Business was fairing well, they'd had  two new investors so far, nothing seriously bad had happened at Gotham save for the few incidents by Ghost, and he was under new management. A former member of the League was in their midst, downstairs in the dining room, with Sir Tim. That had been the last thing he said on his part, before quickly turning topic on her before it was too late.

Making note to question that small bit later, Suzillan informed Metropolis faired well. Better than what she'd heard had recently been going on in Gotham and Star City at least. And to top it all off, she was now in partial charge or at least overlooked three of the media based industries the Durn's had strung into their grasp years before the fall. Scantly comparable to what they used to hold, but still better than nothing. Somewhere along the line, the conversation fell flat and Rebecca decided it'd be best if they get out of her "stuffy" room and go up to the balcony on the second floor. Now here they were, nursing tea, with a side of pastries.

Another loud slurp graced Alphus' ears. After taking one more sip from his cup, Alphus gently rested it on its coaster, then looked his sister in the eye... only to be met by a bug eating grin, not even the Riddler on his best day could trump.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]It is[/COLOR]", he sighed, "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]always a pleasure to have you home, Suzie[/COLOR]."

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Love you to, Alphie[/COLOR]" she complied warmly, setting her empty cup down. A sight, Alphus secretly reveled in.

A moment of silence passed as both twins simultaneously dabbed their lips with napkins, before the younger spoke. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]You know, it never ceases to amaze me[/COLOR]" she said rhetorically. The trademark arched brow made its appearance, prompting Suzillan to titter.

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]You know what I mean[/COLOR]." She waved a hand in the air gesturing towards where they were. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]This house, the manor. You kept it. I mean, granted Mr. Drake, has the rights to it all, but if you wanted well[/COLOR]..." she shrugged letting those words hang in the air before the dink of Alphus' cup sounded.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Well[/COLOR]?" he inquired.

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]You could have asked him to sell it[/COLOR]." She shrugged, throwing in two cubes of sugar into her empty cup.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]Suzie[/COLOR]--"

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]No, no. I know we've been over this. You couldn't do that to, Mr. Fijwur, and the others. But still, you could have. And you didn't[/COLOR]."

The senior made no reply to his younger's comment. He simply took a sugar powdered donut and took a small bite before returning it back to its place on his serving plate. "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]If you are trying to get me to discuss, them. I decline[/COLOR]."

Being in the media business had done well in making Rebecca an expert at acting like she wasn't hinting at something when she clearly was. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Pfft, what? No. No, you, dear sir are being silly. Ahem! SO. Who's this new guy in our house[/COLOR]."

The urge to eye roll was trumped by the strong push to move forward in the conversation. "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]His name is Brian. He has wings[/COLOR]." Alphus added awkwardly, the last bit being more so of him feeling he had no reason to divulge everything about his new ally towards his oldest friend. At least not yet.

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Hiding something are we[/COLOR]?" Suzie, asked with a sly grin. The impassive silence from her brother confirmed that but she didn't pry further. She simple touted with "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Hm. Hms[/COLOR]" for a couple seconds as her hands poured herself another cup of tea. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Don't worry your secret's safe with me[/COLOR]."

Knowing his sister well enough and possibly through the power of twin telepathy, Alphus did not question that statement. But instead turned his attention westward, looking out at Gotham River. Suzillan did the same. A cricket or two, filled the air with the song of their wings.

"[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]Do you think about them[/COLOR]?" The question came at full speed like a steam train, and Alphus was the only operator around to stop it. The small sag in his shoulders, told Suzillan she had derailed his moment of peace. But frankly she did not care. If she was going to be on a visit home, Alphus would have to behave like normal around her. Or at least try to act like he hadn't entirely changed into a stranger that shared a few similarities of his past self.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]No[/COLOR]." Alphus replied solemnly, sagging fading. Neither twin looked at the other as the looked out towards Gotham's city and Suzillan didn't make a response but waited. Knowing there was more.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]At least, I tried not to in back then. Now[/COLOR]" -his posture returned- "[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]I rarely think of them at all[/COLOR]."

The small frown gracing his sister's glossed lips, were evident. The coldness in his voice was clear. But like she didn't care to bring up the topic, Alphus didn't care if his statement saddened her. It was the truth. They'd both moved on in their own ways. His, was just more different than hers. A few seconds of silence pass by before a hand went through Alphus white hair brushing a stray strand out of the way, in motherly affection. His twin retook her seat after she'd gotten rid of what had been bugging her. Being unable to see Alphus' face proper unnerved for some reason, but that was fixed now.

Another dink of Alphus' half empty cup sounded. As he finished off his miniature donut and dabbed his lips clean of their powder she spoke. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]I think about them, almost as much as I think about how you and the others are doing[/COLOR]." Came Suzillan's reply. Again, Alphus had nothing to say because there was nothing to say. Except--

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]I see[/COLOR]."

It wasn't long till a shadow graced their presence, and Alphus turned to see the figure of Oscar, a Native American from Kansas, that Suzie had taken under her guidance after he joined, COSS. "[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]Mr. Fijwur wanted to know if you two r' alright[/COLOR]."

Alphus glanced at his sister, just as she glanced back. They shared a silent look, then both looked towards her assistant together, sharing small nods. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]We are fine, Oscar. Go on and take a break. Alright[/COLOR]?"

The assistant nodded and was soon gone. Alphus looked over his sister who was still watching her assistant disappear. When she looked at him, she caught sign of that old grin he used to wear all the time when she did something suspicious. "[COLOR= rgb(238, 130, 238)]What[/COLOR]?" she asked with clear surprise.

"[COLOR= rgb(64, 224, 208)]I see, I'm not the only one keeping secrets[/COLOR]." The red that tinted his sister's cheeks made the young man laugh a laugh he hadn't done in a long long time.

Sadly for Alphus however, his sister got him back as their conversation eventually continued; by slurping as if there were no tomorrow.

Tim leaned back and listened to the rationalization that Brian offered. It made sense--on both ends. He could see how an individual being told they had some monumental fate would allow it to go to their head. Just as one was weakest when they believed they were invulnerable, one might lose their way if they believed they were destined for something. To Tim, there was no such thing as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone that ever done something with their life had to work for it. Dick Grayson put in the years of effort. Tim recalled his early days as Robin. He would go over footage of Grayson as the Robin and research the milestones. Tim just plain never added up, but Bruce pointed out one key point: it didn't matter. Dick was simply better suited for close quarters combat and he trained for it. Hard work and training could bridge the gap of raw talent, but Dick Grayson was truly refined talent. He had to endure the training to become the legend he was. Everyone had to endure. Alphus included.

That is what Brian seemed to overlook. Sure, Alphus had been through plenty, but tragedies were a dime a dozen. To truly endure was an entirely different thing. "If you insist on disregarding the suggestion of Troubadour, do me at least one favor," Tim said in a single response to Brian stating he would tell Aplhus, "don't tell the boy anything until you are convinced. Convinced of whatever this fate nonsense is. I do believe he should know, but knowledge is most powerful at the right time, Brian." Tim had a simple explanation for his request and at the very least, he was quite polite in how he requested this one addendum to Brian's intention.

"Waller kept an eye on you for months after Alcatraz. Once he saw you were no threat, he stopped following you. To be honest, he didn't seem to care one way or another that you returned. He questioned my decision to use you as a mentor, but when I provided him a rationale, his only suggestion was to keep you off the bottle," Tim said, answering what seemed to be Brian's more pertinent concerns. Honestly valid concerns, but Tim did feel like the answer of 'Waller didn't care' seemed somewhat hollow. Nonetheless, Tim added, "but, we both know how likely that is. Compromise is part of life. Waller tends to be bad at it."

"Me? If I were a younger man, I'd say Waller was enough to push a man to drink."

@Crono (No idea what you want to do, Regal, but I do admit I enjoyed the back and forth between the siblings.) @The Regal Rper

"Enough, Drake. I'll answer this the best way I can," Marcel said, cutting off Drake and his somewhat valid explanation of the team layout. There was a somewhat aggressive tone to his voice, but considering his flare for rhetoric, it only foreshadowed his oncoming explanation.

"When a patient is diagnosed with cancer, does the doctor continue on? No, Freddy. The doctor sends that patient to an Oncologist. A cancer specialist. But, what does that doctor do when the tumors are dangerous, malignant and rapidly expanding? Secluded in parts of the body unsafe for regular surgery, difficult to get to due to their arrangement in the body... they call a specialist. Even a specialist needs a specialist. The crime of Gotham is a cancer, Freddy, and while Drake and I may be capable in our own rights, there is no specialist more suited to the streets of Gotham than you. Sure, Drake is more dangerous. I have more tricks. But you have years of knowledge, experience and understanding that I cannot compete with--that I need," Marcel explained. It was a fairly spot on analogy and for all intents and purposes detailed out exactly what happened in the medical field. You went from general to specific until you got the exact doctor you needed. In this case, Marcel was insinuating that Freddy was the exact guy he needed.

"They think you're running around Gotham like a maniac, but that's not true, is it, Freddy? Everything you do is precise and calculated. Maybe you don't have the biggest impact, but you're incredibly efficient at what you do. Especially just for being one man. I admit... I don't know what calculations you are using. I can't figure it out. I don't know every parameter of your motivation. But, I am sure that if I give a man like you more resources--more potential impact than just yourself--that we can do real good for Gotham. This city is riddled with disease, septic with corruption... it's about time the right man began delivering a cure," Marcel continued on, "and, that man doesn't need a scarab to do it."

@LokiofSP @ChazGhost

Brian had been fully planning to tell Alphus at some point, he felt the younger had the right to know. If Troubadour was really so afraid of Alphus knowing he felt the immortal shouldn't have told Brian in the first place. But then again he hadn't told Alphus yet, and had instead sought out Tim's advice on the matter. So maybe Brian did indeed have some second thoughts. How am I supposed to find out what this fate nonsense is? What does Drake take me for.

"No surprise there," Brian spoke on the comment of questioning Tim's decision to use him as a mentor, "I still question it myself." The man snorted at the suggestion of stopping him from drinking, the surprise was that it was simply a suggestion. "When hell freezes over." He'd mutter at the thought of a man like Waller trying to make him stop, Tim knew better than to try or maybe the older man had an understanding. To be fair Brian wasn't sure which.

"Thanks by the way," Brian spoke nonchalantly at first with his vision locking onto a window until returning to Tim, "I know you had your own reasons but honestly it feels good to be just doing something again, surprisingly. Doesn't hurt to have someone in your corner either."

@Sir Les Paul

"Sometimes, Brian, all someone needs is for one person to have a little faith," Tim replied to Brian. It was a sappy notion, no denying it. Likely even a little cliche. But, it was a reminder that in their field of work, they had to support each other. In a world of darkness, in a city like Gotham, they had to be their own light. In a way, it reflected back to the story about Bruce and Ace. The Dark Knight, a man that planned for every conceivable atrocity that could occur, saved the day and more importantly saved one little girl simply by being there for her. She warped the city. She commit her fair share of crimes. She was a tool her entire, albeit unfortunately short life. The most brooding hero put his faith in his fellow man--in this case that little girl--and in the end reminded the world of what it meant to be human. Tim Drake, his former partner, taught that same ideal. 

That sappy moment was brought to an abrupt end when Tim received a notification on his tablet. With a dry snort, he sat down his fork and knife to read the message. "As I expected, Torrent is currently preoccupied. You and Alphus are to track down and monitor the Atlantean. We have made contact with Atlantis, but they provided very little as they were in favor of this mission. Your target is named Reginn and he is an Enforcer. I'm not incredibly well-versed with their culture, but by the context of the information we were given, he appears to be Gamma-level and likely as skilled as a proper Senior Agent. In short, you will be a little outmatched, but you shouldn't be engaging in a brawl. Besides, per the report, Reginn is skilled in magic as well as combat. We do know what his mission is, however. Not too long ago, old Atlantean coins were stolen and as a national treasure, he is tasked with retrieving them. Apparently, he is under instruction to only end or alter life if he meets volatile resistance," Tim explained, breaking down what he read through in the message. What he knew personally was a little different. Atlanteans were not individuals to be trifled with; especially those that wielded magic. 

Tim let his dull, blue eyes raise to meet Brian's once more. It was time they returned to the field.

@Crono @The Regal Rper (Sorry for the wait. Still recovering and catching up from the time I missed.)

@Crono @Sir Les Paul (You're fine.)

Light steps echoed as Alphus returned to the dining hall, alone. His mind on the item he carried in a delicately clenched fist. In his hand there was a small key. A key, big enough to open a small jewelry box possibly at least 6.5 x 11 inches big and nothing more.

The continuing conversation lasted almost an hour with Suzillan. Idle chit chat, nothing big. No talk about work, jobs, or what their future plans for the ACS would be. Just normal chit chat. The end of their conversation came almost too soon for Alphus, when he received a message from Sarah -one of the Durn housekeepers- that it would be best he return to the dining hall soon.

"It's okay Timothy, go. I won't be going anywhere for a few weeks."

Alphus' hesitation simply made her smile. Both rose at the same time, and while at first Alphus aimed for a handshake as a form of a quick goodbye, his sister's surprisingly strong hug trumped his formality entirely. "Learn to loosen up a little, alright?" And with that piece of advice given, the younger of the Durn's gave her brother a key, before hastily making her departure. Just like that, he was alone once more with nothing to keep him company but his thoughts. It was just as well, Alphus thought as he had began his return back to Sir TIm and Brian. Solitude could be useful sometimes. And as he made his way back- through the corridors, and down the stairs, Alphus found himself picking up a question he'd been studying before: Why was Suzie really here?

Whatever the case was, Alphus knew this key his sister had given him would undoubtedly provide the answer. All he had to do, was make it back after this mission. And confront her on the matter.

Wilfred, whom was already waiting for Alphus in front of the doors, smiled at him upon sight. "Well?"

Alphus released the key in his pocket and smiled patting Wilfred on the shoulder. "It was good to see her again. But now it seems I have business to attend to. Do you have the suit prepared in case I need it?"

"I wouldn't let you leave without it" the older man replied readily.

And with that the dining hall doors were opened and Alphus stepped in, ready to leave whenever Brian was set.

They'd only just returned from a mission involving an immortal and now they were to keep watch on an Atlantean, Brian couldn't decide if this irritated him or stimulated him. "You want us to keep an eye on him? And Torrent can't even back us up. What's he off doing talking to the fish?" He asked confused. Back when he was a part of the League he'd been both useful at keeping his distance and watching from afar, but he was also known for having screwed them up by getting involved or changing the mission to his own accord. Though occasionally it did work out for the better. However, these days he was less patient. Brian scoffed when Tim said they'd be a little outmatched, the Atlantean was no Immortal, much closer to their level and as such the man felt confident. 

"In other words only intervene if necessary and try at all costs not to start a war with Atlantis right?" Fun. "Why couldn't they have sent a diplomatic asshole instead of a thug?" He grumbled, hearing the doors open behind he could see Alphus had returned and was ready. Brian turned back towards Tim and with a quick clap of his hands started to back away towards the exit, "Alright then. If you hear on the news of a throw-down happening in the city you know it's us." Brian cheekily winked at Tim before spinning around and walking by Alphus. "C'mon kid we've got an Atlantean to try and not piss off.

"Sounds like a blast" Wilfred commented in a strictly professional tone.

"Indeed," Alphus replied in agreement. "I suppose we'll need to 'suite up' before we leave?" Alphus asked after Brian- soon falling behind him as Wilfred was left behind with Tim.

The two were silent for a good few seconds before Wilfred glanced back to where the two men had just exited. "Don't worry, Drake." The older man said with a chipper tone, "Young Alphus will be fine. Now if you'll excuse me, I must see to it that those two get the necessary gear."

And not a second later was the house manager gone.

@Sir Les Paul @Crono

Brian flew high above the streets of Gotham with his eyes piercing down, they'd stay occupied on the vehicle Alphus was currently traveling in. He'd decided not to fly ahead for several reasons, so he was taking his time. Though he needed to spread his wings, the mansion was getting stuffy, and between the cars and boats he needed it. Not to mention he had to miserably consider what Tim had said about telling Alphus about the whole fate thing.

Suiting up had been quick and almost painless, Tim had managed to pull one of the old Condor suits from the League's storage. However upon wearing it Brian couldn't help but notice it didn't fit as snug as his suits once had. Arguably they were meant to be simply tailing the Atlantean and the suit wasn't needed however this was considered League business...and Brian had no plans of watching from the ground. Rooftops and sky were his main target to keep a watchful eye from. Besides, the wings would be a dead giveaway if they'd decided to look inconspicuous. Alphus on the other hand had the choice of going suited up or blending in.

"So what experience do you have with Atlantean's?" He'd ask the younger man over the comm's whilst gliding through the air, honestly expecting the answer to be none. Which wouldn't be surprising considering the rarity of one even coming on land and the fact that he guessed Tim kept Alphus away from a majority of the new Leagues members.

The roar of Iron Hull combined with the fierce splashing of rocky waves as the cruiser headed south almost blocked out Brian's voice. Almost.

"No", Alphus simply replied. "The League knows just as little about me, as much as I know of its current form. Sir Tim was always careful whenever it involved Waller and I after there became a possibility that I might be joining its ranks." He explained, and as he talked so did the hum of Iron Hull's engine begin to fade into a low but strong buzz as Alphus caught sight of the docking sites he'd be mooring in.

"What about you?" he asked only a few moments after his own reply. "I hear there is an Atlantean in the League as well. Did you know him?"

@Crono 

(Christ I've been gone for to long, let me try to jump in head first and strong)

When you're in a conversation with somebody, you're typically expected to focus on the person talking as opposed to the people next to them as not to be rude, but most people can't help but allow their eyes to wander at least a small bit. This is exactly what Freddy did while Marcel was going over his story, and his eyes caught a glimpse of Drake rolling his eyes as the man that went by NoOne. To most people, it might be seen as a small, insignificant detail, but Freddy looked at Drake, and his left eyebrow raised ever so slightly as the thief did this. Freddy didn't even really listen as Drake went on to describe what his role in the operation was, instead focusing on why the thief could possibly be doing such during his partner's story, only for Freddy's eyes to widen ever so slightly for just a second before going back to a seemingly neutral position. Paranoia began to creep into his mind, as he really began to think about the day's events, from finding NoOne in his kitchen to their meeting with James, the guy had seemed TO comfortable in the situations. Freddy’s identity wasn’t something many knew, but he had showed up in his kitchen like it was his own house, like he wasn’t even slightly concerned about what Freddy might’ve done. Then there was James. There had been a sort of mental chess game Freddy had yet to fully understand that had gone on between the two, and even then, NoOne seemed like he was having fun playing a damn game than actually showing some kind of concern about what James could do!

Freddy tensed, though he attempted to continue to seem as relaxed as possible, ‘Fuck! How did I not see this before! I need to get home, reassess the situation and really look into the ‘Shadows of Bludhaven’, but I can’t just stand up and leave, at least one of them will probably think that’s odd…no, I have to do this carefully…’ Freddy stayed silent as NoOne finished his analogy, before opening his mouth to speak, only to stop as pocket of the clothes he was wearing over his costume vibrated after Freddy had attempted to subtly turn it to vibrate. He furrowed his brow and pulled out the phone, turning it on and pretending to check it before letting out a very silent, [SIZE=8pt]‘Shit’ [/SIZE]As he put the phone away once more, “I don’t have much more time to spend here, I’ve got some business to attend to downtown, but since it was the entire reason I wanted to talk to you here, I at least wanted to touch on the subject of Ramirez. Now, seeing as you seem to think my plan with little more than shooting him in the head and running away like some kind of amateur, go ahead and tell me some ideas you had about what steps we should take to begin taking out the commissioner…”

@Sir Les Paul @ChazGhost

Brian understood why Tim kept the info to a minimum when it came to the League and Alphus, he was trying to protect him. What he didn't understand is why he wouldn't push Alphus to learn more by at least meeting with some of them. He imagined Alphus's only friends were his staff, family friends like the boat captain, and Tim. To Brian it seemed like Alphus was being kept from much of the world and it's inhabitants, maybe it was another reason Tim didn't like the idea of Brian mentioning fate. Tim didn't want Alphus taking matters into his own hands until he felt the younger man was ready, and maybe Tim was a bit lonely too.

His thought process continued on as he flew listening to Alphus over the comm's, "Torrent as Tim mentioned. I mentioned him in my story about Alcatraz as well, decent guy even if he's a bit rough around the edges. There were...others in the old League, but none I'd ever had a conversation with besides Torrent. Other than that they are a race of people with stick up their asses if you ask me." A smirk crossing his face, "Too much politics and red tape when it comes to the Atlantean's. Case and point, they send someone up here to cause a ruckus for what? Some coins? And of course they just send someone to do the work rather than trying to communicate with any sort of official on land about getting them returned." Brian scoffed, he liked the Atlanteans he really did. But he hated it when they acted in ways such as this where it made no sense and simply caused problems and messes, especially when he was involved in the cleanup. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back