• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Gotham: Dystopia [OOC]

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Oswald_C_Cobblepot Oswald_C_Cobblepot Her canon backstory is that she emancipated from her dead-beat father and took over guardianship of her younger brother after her mother was killed. She lives with him in the narrows, works on the city's electrical grid at apprentice wages.

I decided to go ahead and put up my OC's sheet as a WIP. I've got an extensive backstory planned for her so it'll probably take me the weekend to finish it. Get ready Gothamites, the Circus of Strange is coming. :horns:

OKAY since we are waiting for our Batsy to post and we are antsy to get the RP started, does anyone want to go ahead and write a first post setting their character up?

No, ummm... I was going for a completely original take on the character, quite different from any of the comics; the most similar version, albeit not identical, is from the Telltale series. My Penguin is an anti-hero, not a Machiavellian schemer and an egomaniac; he's not a victim of his own handicap, he's not out there to get revenge on society for throwing him away. He's there to make Gotham a better place because he really cares, but he's not willing to abide by legal or moral standards to do so.

Yeah same here! It’s different, very interesting. I like it

I always do Gotham Penguin, hes my little baby

No, ummm... I was going for a completely original take on the character, quite different from any of the comics; the most similar version, albeit not identical, is from the Telltale series. My Penguin is an anti-hero, not a Machiavellian schemer and an egomaniac; he's not a victim of his own handicap, he's not out there to get revenge on society for throwing him away. He's there to make Gotham a better place because he really cares, but he's not willing to abide by legal or moral standards to do so.

Yeah I got that out of your post. Again, it's not my favorite interpretation of the character, but it's interesting. It takes away much of the tragedy and horror of the character imo. My take on Lex Luthor is somewhat similar in that he also "really cares" but he's still a devilish schemer and megalomaniac.

Harley Quinn Harley Quinn Bone2pick Bone2pick I think it has potential, I think it adds a little more to Oswald's essence, distancing him from the freak he actually is and turning him into someone who's not just a consequence of his traumas, but a person who had willingly decided to become what he, eventually, became. Luthor is a good fit in that aspect, but you can't extract the megalomania from him; it would be like taking the crazy from Joker. In Penguin's case... as I see it... the most important aspect is the genius dealing from the shadows. The story behind it or the manner in which his dealings are executed is open for interpretation, but his essence is him, being a genius, operating from behind the screen. I've just given him a new motivation.

Harley Quinn Harley Quinn Do play the game; there's not much actual ''playing'', but the story is amazing :)

ManyFaces ManyFaces In due time, hopefully the wholw Family :D

MoonLegend101 MoonLegend101 Now that's what I call a f*cking intro! :D Great work! :)

Harley Quinn Harley Quinn Bone2pick Bone2pick I think it has potential, I think it adds a little more to Oswald's essence, distancing him from the freak he actually is and turning him into someone who's not just a consequence of his traumas, but a person who had willingly decided to become what he, eventually, became. Luthor is a good fit in that aspect, but you can't extract the megalomania from him; it would be like taking the crazy from Joker. In Penguin's case... as I see it... the most important aspect is the genius dealing from the shadows. The story behind it or the manner in which his dealings are executed is open for interpretation, but his essence is him, being a genius, operating from behind the screen. I've just given him a new motivation.

I agree your interpretation of Penguin has potential, but I wouldn't go so far as to claim it "adds more to his essence." The way I see it, at best it merely changes his essence. You've removed his tragedy (my favorite part honestly) and brutality in replaced it with rebellious civic duty.

As to Penguin's most fundamental trait, I don't agree that it's genius. He's clever, he's shrewd, but short of genius imo. That's much more a defining trait of Lex and Bruce imo. I would argue Oswald's fundamental character attribute is his will and merciless methods to dominate Gotham's underworld. Imo, there's a wonderful savagery to him that should remain.

But, it's as they say: different strokes for different folks.

I wish there was still a "like" variant that covers tragic scenes, 'cause that death of Dick's parents was one big oof.

And now I'm just imagining Dick and Bruce bonding like, "My parents are deeeead." "My parents are also deeeeead." "... Wanna get adopted?" Don't know how this scenario hasn't occurred to me before.

I agree your interpretation of Penguin has potential, but I wouldn't go so far as to claim it "adds more to his essence." The way I see it, at best it merely changes his essence. You've removed his tragedy (my favorite part honestly) and brutality in replaced it with rebellious civic duty.

As to Penguin's most fundamental trait, I don't agree that it's genius. He's clever, he's shrewd, but short of genius imo. That's much more a defining trait of Lex and Bruce imo. I would argue Oswald's fundamental character attribute is his will and merciless methods to dominate Gotham's underworld. Imo, there's a wonderful savagery to him that should remain.

But, it's as they say: different strokes for different folks.

I should only agree :D

Agh, thank you so much! I'm so glad that my post is alright. (: And no worries, I'm sure your post will be absolutely lovely, dear! <3 Harley Quinn Harley Quinn

And yess, that's basically how they always connect with each other, Hammy Hammy , their perpetual parent angst. xD It's sweet, though also kind of funny too- but at least their relationship is healthy and beneficial for the both of them because of them helping each other both through their trauma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back