• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
That still leaves the other four who are currently munching on him. I'm not so much interested in rules; i'm interested in solutions that are fair to the story. I dearly hope Booty lives, but as Kaerri will tell you, I am not one of those Game Masters whose characters cannot die out of favoritism. Whatever happens, happens, dice or no dice.

EDIT: Just remember these dog-things aren't going to stop with Booty. If they do manage to get him, they are coming after you next. Be ready.

Last edited:
Unbelieveable! Cap'n's blue d20 to Strike comes up a 2...

Combat initiative order (Round 3):

Natural 20! (21) - Cpl. Mario Zuko (using HLW-6 Heavy Laser Squad Support Weapon, 4/6 bursts, wounded the Wargoth on Fat Booty for 15 M.D., rolled a 12 on the orange die and maximum damage!)
17 - Cpl. Fat Booty (using Mk. 25 Automatic Grenade Launcher, 82//96 round belt, rolled a 2 to Strike, missing the pack again...)
10 - Pack of oncoming Wargoths (5/6, 1 wounded for 15 M.D., all now attacking Fat Booty who is prone)
8 - Cpl. Hercules Papadopolis (in prone position using HPW-6 Heavy Plasma Squad Support Weapon. Rolled a 2 to Strike and missed)

Situation: The A.T.A.C. Wild Cards nearly have their backs against a grate a new ally is attempting to cut through. It is clear he will need time to do this. A pack of Wargoths released by the Zeki-Zentraedi have followed the Wild Cards through the oversized (20 ft. by 20 ft.) air conditioning duct work.

The Wargoths are attacking Booty whose heavy armor is now moderately damaged.

Guys and gals?
Mario's total (using the orange d20) = 13
Wargoth's total (with the -5 dodge penalty for being within 50 feet) = 13.
Ties go to the defender...

Read the in-game post, please, and then this spoiler. =)
The Wild Cards A.T.A.C. Team has returned to non-combat time. React accordingly and do what'chu wanna do! =)

Incoming rant below! Click spoiler for details! 8D

Just gotta say...

...the scene there where Booty dies is one of the toughest scenes I've had to write since Kaerri and I joined RpNation (then RPdom.com) some 3 1/2 years ago. I hated the hours it took to imagine it all and write it, yet it fills me with a deep sense of satisfaction too. It also fills me with a sense of grief because I really enjoyed playing Fat Booty (I've had him in my head for 15 years easy). Perhaps he'll show in some other game years from now, but in this one, he's gone. Now I find myself writing the effects it is having in-game. It's heavy, but still fun.

I've found being able to write such a scene teaches me a little about myself. I haven't changed when it comes to my long-held GMing standards. One of those standards is, "A good Dungeon Master lets either the dice or the players kill the player-characters." I've never been one of those insecure "DM vs. the PCs" people who gets off on killing PCs. Quite the opposite, actually. But I'm also not one of those GMs who plays favorites to the point of saving his characters from certain doom via deus ex machina. It's not fair to the story. It's not fair to you.

The dice killed Booty. You can go over and over his finale to try and find a solution (I have). In the end, I did find a method and tool or two that might have worked, but none with any guarantees. For example, who else noticed the complete lack of Action Point expenditure? But hey, that's what a good combat-based game is all about! You never know when Death might strike, just like in Real Life. Funny as it might sound, being reminded of that fact helps me to appreciate what I have in Real Life all the more. =)

As you can imagine, I get attached to my characters as much as the next guy (hell, probably more). But decades of doing this tell me that I can let them go when it's time, even, perhaps especially, if it's not a time of my choosing. I'm just glad to have players like yourselves whom I can express myself honestly in this Robotech game of ours. Booty's death was not planned. It just happened.

I'm glad to be gaming with all of you in this life, too. Thanks for enjoying this game with me. There's a lot more fun and good times to come. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

I haven't been in enough games with Action Points to think about using them very often. Other than that, I just don't know what else could have been done to save him; the dice just were not in our favor this time around.

What the...
I just.
No.
Sorry, I can't handle this right now. Sorry.

Captain Hesperus

Dann, I think you broke Cap with the last couple of posts.

What the...
I just.
No.
Sorry, I can't handle this right now. Sorry.

Captain Hesperus

No worries! I get it! As far as I'm concerned, Herc is on GM "auto-pilot" until you are O.K. again, dear Cap'n.

You hear that, guys and gals? Capn's "Herc" is basically going to be controlled by me (as he was before) until further notice. Cap'n will be all right; he just needs time. Hope everyone is O.K. with this because that's what I'm doing. =)

Epiphany Epiphany Did you want to give Neqel a post in before I get the story moving again?

Last edited:
If it helps...

I cried (about the ingame stuff). Ask Dannigan.

She did! I was surprised (still am, really).

Months ago, dear Psychie asked if I had ever considered professional writing. While I don't think I'd ever be lucky enough to win at that terrible lottery, I do find that I enjoy the craft of writing here nonetheless. Writing gives me great joy and I'll do it all my life. I just... don't expect such reactions from folks. I must be good at this (I don't always give myself credit when I do good things - just ask Kaerri)!

Trust me, my friend. You are a skillful storyteller, and I am looking forward to seeing what the future brings for us in the game.

Awww, thanks Sherwood! That means a lot, especially coming from someone who has known me for as long as you have. =)

One of the joys of roleplaying: when your character says or does something you wouldn't!

General Steele - still bringing out the best in players and their characters! Who knew that such an uncaring, selfish jerk could remain such a popular figure even after all these years? =)

I think the word is "notorious" rather than "popular." ^;3^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back