Fantasy RP in which magic has been lost for 20 years.

Tanelorn

Sparkle, sparkle.
<p>

So this was originally a story idea, but I find it more fun as an RP. The condensed backstory is as follows: A group of heroes went to save the lands from a—but of course—evil wizard. However, he was even stronger than they anticipated, so their only option was to destroy magic itself. In this case, a massive tree. With that, the world be saved. YAY! Confetti! But magic hasn't returned since. Until odd occurrences, for lack of a better word, occur. People, creatures, plants, objects... practically everything starts gaining odd abilities and traits... almost like magic. But none of this "magic" follows any of the old rules. Thus far, these events are still quite rare. Howevers! The only known hero to still be alive, Garrick Bray, receives a missive from the king. He must find out the <em>saproling</em> is going on. I have a smidge more in terms of locations and whatnot, but that there above is is the general skinny.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds interesting, though somewhat predictable in a way since if a tree was responsible for magic previously, one could assume a new tree is growing. Though if that's not the reason for the return, good plot twist!

I'm glad you find at least a bit of it interesting—def gives me motivation to start world-building and whatnot.

I have no intention of using a Shyamalan plot twist. This was always intended to be a straight-forward, fun adventure. For at least two of the characters I know will be fairly central, the conflict lies with unhealthy relationships, poor self-esteem, and daddy issues.

This may seem obvious, but while you're worldbuilding, you might want to describe hiw the loss of magic has impacted the world. Countries, guilds, and societies that once relied on magic might struggle to adapt to the new reality. What purpose will former mages serve now that their abilities are gone?

I think this concept has a lot of potential. Lemme see if I can throw some brain food.

1. Worldbuilding - It is important that the players understand how different the world is when they had magic from when they don't have magic. Just like what
@Lorkhan suggested, I feel like it is very important that you explain how the loss of magic impacted the world. This includes the macros and micros. In other words, explain how it affected the world as a whole and then how it affected the people and how they lived from day to day. Also be sure to explain how it might affect a player's character (and keep in mind of their age ranges. If they're over 20 years old, they've lived through the disappearance of magic. If they're 20 and under, then they've never experienced magic). How hard was it for people to accept these changes? Did they? What good things came out of it?

Also! Don't forget to describe the world itself! People like to know about what worlds they're immersing themselves in. See if you can compare your world to a certain period in time (you mentioned kings. So maybe medieval Europe feel? Feel free to mix and match time periods to give people an idea of what they're working with.)

2. Player Count - This roleplay idea could be a relatively big sized rp. But from what you mentioned, you seem to want a small group. That's not bad at all! Maybe pick a number of how many people you're going to accept into the roleplay. Maybe it's five. Maybe it's three. Whatever the number is, make sure to make every player feel like they're important to the story progression. Encourage talking between members and see what they would like to contribute. People are random variables, but sometimes great ideas sprout up from an outside view.

3. Your Role as a GM - Ultimately, you are leading players through a story. This can be daunting and taxing, but it's worth it if you've got a good group. Sometimes players don't really act in ways you would like them to, and so it is your job to help guide them through the story. If this means your character is more like an NPC (or you make NPCs to assist moving the story along). Sometimes players don't quite put two and two together when you require them to do something or figure out something. Don't get frustrated, but rather, lead them through it. Let them know what they can and can't take liberties on. Most of the time players are good about this part, but sometimes a little blatant direction helps.

I've got some high hopes for this rp idea. I.. I just realized I might have been rambling about irrelevant things, but... I hope this helps. 6^_^;;

I am really glad for the input I've gotten thus far. My hands are tied for a little while with vacation and Pathfinder, so I don't expect for this to be fully developed any time soon. But It will. For realsies.

I'm gonna get hate for this, but this seems amazingly overused to me.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or cliche. If you know why the magic was lost (narratively) and can properly explore it, it can turn out very good. I just don't think "magic was lost for 20 years" is a good pitch for it, since I probably have since over 20 roleplays in the last few months with that premise- and what you do with it isn't too original either. I wrote down what I thought you would do with it and got exactly right (or practically so), and I did this on a whim.

The point is, add more to it. What you have so far is not a bad idea but half the people have done what you're selling here, which only implies your target audience isn't likely to be "fresh" or too devoted going into this. You need soemthing that is a little more unique. Of course, no concept is truly unique, but this particular one is so used even here on the forums, taht I just can't think of it taking off without laughing. No offense intended.

Eh. I just wanted a simple-to-the-point adventure. Never wanted anything crazy. Seeing as this has been used quite often on this site, then I won't bother.

Just because it's been done before, doesn't mean you can't try it yourself. Either play around with the idea itself and try to add some unique twists to it, or just give it a try and see how it goes. You don't have to have a 100% original idea to make an RP you enjoy.

Don't abandon something just because it's been done before; instead try to find existing examples and learn from them, then take the idea further than other people have. Alternatively, try to make the most distilled iteration of the idea. Sure, other people might have done magic returning to a world, but I know of three different professionally made versions of the idea each polished to a mirror sheen - magic returning to a world which is approaching cyberpunk, magic returning to a world as an apocalyptic nightmare, and magic returning as a world healing.

No doubt you can think of a way to do it that you in particular can execute skilfully.

Not to mention you aren't doing this as a professional creative venture so who gives a shit, have fun with a straightforward fantasy adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back