• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fairy Tail: Legacy of the Twilight Prophet

Eias wasn't sure how to take the news behind the scars. It was a strange thought to put ones self in harms way like that. Still, it was her choice. Something she had to respect. If she didn't want them, she wouldn't have done it in the first place. 

"Well, I hope you got the fortitude you needed, Meryl. Just as long as you don't forget your friends and family along the way." she said quietly. There wasn't much else to say on the manner. What is done is done and nothing can change that.

As they entered the room, Eias took notice of room overall. It was so fashionable. Everything was so clean and regal looking that she felt so out of place. The only thing that kept her from going completely nuts were the other party goers. Each of the conversations she heard sounded like a folk tale. At the mention of Selene though, she came back to what needed to be focused on.

"It is true, though, she is  a strong girl. Even without protection, she is much more mentally prepared than most. Thank you though, for the information. I will do my best to keep her in eye sight." She said before letting the girl finish. 

"Even if it is not here, it is still a big event. I am sure there will be trouble somewhere here. You keep safe, just in case trouble comes looking.' She said cutting her off. She didn't need to know where the attack may come from. There were so many ways to get hit that she ended up not needed to know where they may attack. If anything, it would be an attack from everywhere rather than a few entrance points. 

Meryl slowed down as she listened to Eias talking. About trust, about friends and family... about compassion and love for others she cherished. That was the moment when she turned to the girl and was about to open her mouth. She wanted to tell the Muse why she had done what, what was her motivation, why did she act so seclusive in the past months... about the plight and burden she and Eon needed to face in the not so distant future. She wanted to tell her all that and more...

But she couldn't. She wouldn't. She could not live with the fact that she told the Muse the truth, not before the time was right. She knew her well enough to believe that she would indeed rush into her own demise yet again... something she did not want, ever. She felt the process taking hold, the spiritual exchange between her and her sister: she inherited some of Eon's feelings towards Eias... and she shared them. To think that the little fire spirit revered the Muse as their mother was something even Meryl could have not foreseen... and thus she decided against everything that might hurt any of them... no matter how dire it was.

"Believe me when I say that i put my friends and family in the focus more than anything, Eias." she smiled finally, nodding to herself "Do not believe for a moment that I had forsaken you or Aeris for I have not: the path, no matter how perilous or dangerous it might be, will always lead back to you eventually. However, over the long-long years of my existence I have learnt one or two things, one being that the right path is not always the easiest... and that there are certain ones I will need to walk alone. This path is such direction, little Muse. This is something... I had to do myself. But if it will indeed the party would come to exchange of blows... have no doubt about which side I would be on."

They have finally caught up with Lord Latosius who was discussing fashion tips with Selene at this point. Delighted at the arrival of her partner the disguised pirate immediately turned to Eias... and so did the Councilor.

"You had a pleasant chat, I hope?" the Lord smiled, his voice being sweet and mysterious as always. "Your partner it quite adept at Ca-Elumian fashion, I have to say... his art of clothes is extremely delicate... and quite exceptional."

He turned to Meryl.

"Is everything all right, my dear? You seem... tense."

The spirit nodded, the pale expression faded from her visage.

"I am more than fine, Lord Latosius. The little introduction for this noblewoman was more than delightful. She is a bright individual who has a lot of potential, that much I could gather from our discussion."

"I had no doubt about her brilliance the first moment I laid eyes upon her." the man smiled, nodding in acknowledgement. "Does that mean that you would recommend her to the Masquerade for me?"

The spirit paused for a moment - not from shock but from the brilliance of the idea.

"Most definitely I would." Meryl nodded with a smile, turning to Eias "Lady Eias... this party will feature a Masquerade, as the Lord had so foolishly had spoiled the surprise. That would mean that when the time for change of season is upon us he would ask you to be his dance partner for the event... and I should be the partner of Lord Aaron. It would prove to be... quite the enlightening event."

Selene shuddered at the feeling of needing to dance with Meryl.

"I... am not a very good dancer, madame." she tried to speak up but Meryl just chuckled.

"Oh that is not an issue at all, my Lord. Some nobles here have no affinity to such delightful activities but I can assure you I am not one of them. I could lead and you could follow if you accept the terms, of course."

Lord Latosius turned to Eias with a mysterious look. As he stared at the girl it felt like as if time was slowing around them, some sort of erratic magic was surely afoot. Her look was not menacing, nor was is uncomfortable: it was calm, analytic and stoic, no emotion reflected on his expression. The councilor eagerly anticipated the girl's reply... but said nothing to hasten her.

Eias was taken back a little by what Meryl said. She didn't doubt the girl would come back to them eventually, knowing she was alright. She was just worried the spirit would hurt themselves in a way that wouldn't let them come back. 

"Meryl..." she muttered quietly before they made their way back to their partners. She found it rather funny that the two were talking fashion. Given Selene was in disguise and also knew of the fashion already, she was sure. Still, they were addressed quickly once they came back. She found the sudden spoiled surprise to be rather... disheartening at the moment. She hadn't done fancy dancing in such a long time. Not only that, but to dance with a lord so.. strangely mysterious. She couldn't place her finger on it. The only thing really pushing her in the direction was Meryl's input. If she felt it to be okay, then Eias felt she should just go for it. 

"I think it would be wonderful. It would allow for some opportune mingling for both Aaron and I. I humbly accept your offer of a dance." She said to Lord Lactosius. And sadly, it is true, poor Aaron here was not gifted with masterful dancing, but, should you look after him will, I am sure he will surprise you." she said, giving the girl a wink.

Selene gulped in embarrassment. She really knew not how to dance and she was afraid of leaving Eias' side. She knew not how long was the range of her pain dampening spells but she could not say it in front of the two other nobles. Knowing that Eias' decision was absolute and final she sighed and nodded. Dancing in the Masquarade will it be then. Turning around with joy Lord Latosius clasped his hands in satisfaction.

"Well, these are wonderful news indeed." he said, smiling "Do you happen to see that little secluded chair at the side of the room, Lady Eias?" he asked, pointing at the direction. The place was indeed deserted but only because the nobles were not tired just yet and sought no place to rest their weary bodies.

"I will reserve that seat for you, just for safety measures if you wish to rest a bit before dancing. Wait for me there once you feel ready to take on the wondrous solace of waltzing."

He turned to Meryl.

"I believe it is time we go, my beloved. The party is on its way and soon we will be called to action. Let us leave these nobles to mingle a bit."

"As you wish, my Lord." Meryl smiled, nodding at the two of them... before vanishing into the crowd.

Selene was left dumbfounded as they were once again alone. With a pale face she walked up to Eias.

"He... knew." she managed to say as she walked up to the Muse "He... saw through my disguise effortlessly... yet instead of reprimanding me he actually gave me advice how to make it better next time... I really do not know how powerful he must be if he is so... straight and plain about things like these..."

She shuddered.

"I... am genuinely afraid of him, Lady Eias. I... will try to keep an eye out in any case."

She paused a bit.

"Are you... feeling all right? You happen to know Lady Meryl from somewhere?"

Eias watched as the two left into the sea of people. She turned her head to stare at the seat. Was that some kind of trick? Was that area for those who were unable to continent with the night due to the suffocating clothing... she just had the instructions to sit there when ready. She would have to do it eventually. Once Selene spoke up, she looked to the frightened girl. She could see how ghostly white she was and the expression of fear on her face. 

"I know... He is definitely someone of mystery. I have no clue what to think of him. I believe he had already seen past my trick of being a noble. I could just tell from the moment he first saw me though he didn't speak of it." She said in her own worried voice. What was his underlying reasoning behind such actions. To help Selene become even more stealthy with illusions was rather dangerous. Not because of the girl, but because he would so freely give out the advice. 

"I do know her. Rather well actually. It seems she has her own thoughts on how to approach things. Methods she had kept from her sister, Aeris, and I. Still, it was refreshing to see her. I just wish for her well being."

Selene looked at Eias then glanced at the vanishing forms of the Councilor and his guide. She was actually surprised to see that Latosius was with someone this elegant and important, someone known very well by Eias no less. She marveled at the fact how such unearthly beauty could exist but she herself found no explanation for her... or perhaps she just did not want to. Nodding at Eias' words of caution she looked around, trying to find some familiar faces they might be able to talk to. Soon enough she spotted few nobles she had encountered before, knowing their taste, what they liked or disliked made it easy for her to pick some targets they could talk to first. With a wide smile she turned to Eias and nodded.

"Well, I guess we will have to find out what the party has in store for us. For now I believe that talking to others will be the priority... and I have found some candidates we could easily mingle with. Just follow my lead, my lady."

And thus they were on their way...

Was it but few minutes that have passed or entire hours have gone by Selene could not tell. The atmosphere and the artificial lighting made it impossible to accurately measure time... but she was certain that a fairly good amount of time had indeed passed since their arrival - this was evident by her waning powers as they talked more and more to others. Whilst maintaining the illusion and laughing at forcibly fabricated jokes the girl felt that her reserved were slowly but steadily being tapped at, something that she wanted to do as a very last resort - so regrettably she was forced to weaken the protective spell on Eias in turn in order for her to maintain her complete illusion and her posture. It was not the easiest decisions but she felt that she needed that to happen... and thus Eias was left at the mercy of her clothes and her own fortitude.

As was expected, the kissing loop was proven useful for the duo when the Hour of Splendors were announced, Selene played it over and over again, never attempting to do anything personally. When they ran out of partners she knew of they moved to people she did only now get to know and began talking with them.

"... people in Ca-Elum know not how important it is to represent nobility nowadays!" a man with a mustache laughed, one elegant man they were talking to "Truly, some are but mongrels, bitten dogs, trying to replicate the code of honor which was given to them by their ancestors. Truly horrific!"

"Indeed it is saddening that a lot of shallowness intermingled in today's politics, Lord Graval." Selene nodded, talking smoothly "The Matriarchal system is good but many disregard it greatly... but that is their folly, I reckon."

"Oh the system! It is so ridiculous, women are so overrated nowadays. They are even be able to keep slaves nowadays, did you know?"

Selene's visage darkened as her tone became a bit more brittle.

"Is that so? Slaves are still a thing?"

"Your intelligence is what I ought to question now, good lord. Of course there are!" Lord Graval pompously laughed "They are the dogs I was talking about! Fit only to lick boots and to be kicked if they do something wrong. The entertainment is truly priceless. Alas, I have no slaves but I intend to purchase one in the future! You happen to know any for sale? Young girls are my favorite!"

Selene's emotions were only suppressed by the presence of Eias so she did not immediately react as she wanted to pretend to think in order to guise her anger.

"Hmmm, I may have one or two people who sell some... but they grow really attached to their masters fast, it might be difficult."

"Hah, have no worry, my lord, slaves have no feelings." Graval laughed "They fit barely to be stepped on, vermin of various kind, ought to be exterminated or kept as a pet. We must ensure the purity of our nation, you know? For that drastic measures must be taken! I am shocked that the Duchess rejected our petition for permanent slavery but alas... I guess she is a liberal woman."

Selene's boiling fury and sadness was still kept in check, stoicity sitting on her face as Graval turned to Eias.

"And you, my lady? Why don't you ask your husband to purchase you someone who can serve you with his or her life? Unless of course you are among those... liberals... Ugh, the disgusting things they do! They BUY slaves only to FREE them right after! What madness do they share I wonder... But I am positive that you are a sensible woman, right? A good servant is always a valued one, am I right?"

Eias followed Selene out into the floor to mingle with the nobles. Each one seemed to go smoothly as time went on. The only thing she noticed that was off was her pain starting to rise again. Minute by minute she could feel the tightening seep in a little more. she wasn't sure if the girl was having trouble keeping the magic up, but she felt there must be some dwindling power. She couldn't really blame the girl. The party felt like it had been going on for hours now. She had just been waiting for this to happen. She took a deep breath as she began to fight off the squeezing feeling. Allowing her body to adjust as quickly as possible. To her displeasure, the new face they began interacting with set off annoyance and anger. This only made the clothing react even worse. Tightening harder and harder, though still making her more pretty. She could feel her lungs burning up as she fought off the urge to claw at her neck. Once this Lord Graval spoke to her directly, Eias was fed up with him. 

"Ever think... you may get... better service if you... treat them like a human?" she said between breaths. Each one getting harder to push out. 

"What is IN... now... is being the better... person." The sternness of her voice was easily heard. "The way you talk... makes you sound like a fool... out of the loop. It seems those... who put that mind set... in you aren't sophisticated. They.... and by extension, you.... don't understand social workings of the current time." She said, raising her nose up into the air. Her arms crossed after being fed up with this man. 

She knew how Selene must be feeling. There was no forgiving what the man had said because it seemed that is what he truly thought. Her only idea was to play up the idea as a fad. That way, it may stroke a cored with a nobles need to seem important. She hopped that would work and that the man would leave them soon. She didn't know how many more breaths she could take before she passed out. That was the last thing they needed tonight.

Selene's burning rage and fury soon began to change as the verbal battle began from Eias' side. Grateful, happy feelings started to embrace her first... only for the sudden realization to strike her: Eias was struggling even to speak. And she had a very good idea what could cause something like that. She silently stepped closer to her but then Graval let out a deep, rasping laugh, inspecting the beautiful noble woman with pride. He twirled his mustache and took another sip from his cup as he stared at them.

"Hah! Look at that harsh tone! You would be a fine mistress fo' hundreds of slaves for sure!" he grinned, drinking once more "I have seen people like you... thinking that slaves be worth of something... they, sooner or later, have all woken up from their insanity, I know that."

He put one hand behind his back as he smiled.

"You and I are the same, my lady. Thing is, you just lack... proper manners right now. To be on the top of the food chain you must dominate others, the strong takes what it is due for him and the weak is forced to serve. You can call me conservative all you want but I can assure you: the slave question is all but assured to be a staple thing in the future as well! If only Lord Latosius was not so stubborn at trying to appease the people... ever since he has that buzzing fly whispering in his ear he had gone mad!"

Selene stepped even closer to Eias, putting her left hand on her hip. She felt a painful strain throbbing in her veins as she allowed some magic to flow into Eias - not much, only something that allowed her to breathe easily... until this conversation lasted that is. The pirate girl knew the risks but she could not allow Eias to feel the pain she presumed the girl did.

"A lover perhaps? Someone close to him?" Selene asked. Graval nodded.

"I would assume so, my lord." he said, his tone turning less of an insolent one, it became more... insidious. "I heard tales of that... Lady Meryl. She is supposedly posing for getting the nobles the best of their time... but she is weak. She knows nothing of what a true Ca-Elumian spirit is and is a liability to our life."

He grinned.

"I am glad that her... tyranny over the Lord will be over soon... after the dance it is said that she will say a fancy toast... her last one, I reckon."

The noble gargled like a walrus, a rather rasping, disgusting laughter leaving his mouth. Selene could not help but feel a sense of dread washing over her... She was uncertain what the noble was talking about and why was he so gleeful... and more importantly why was he so insistent at talking to them. She looked up as the Hour of Splendor warning went off and Lord Graval looked away to kiss a random, wandering noblewoman whilst for the girls the loop was playing by itself.

Selene glanced at the podium where Meryl and Latosius were engaging in a conversation with someone... and she had a very bad feeling about it.

Eias felt her body starting to heat up. It was as if the raging fire of her soul was starting the come out. She couldn't believe the talk of this man. They were literally talking about human beings! People with feelings and ideas. Even with Selene coming to her side and giving magic, Eias was getting more and more emotional. Her breathing regulated for the short time. enough that she could regain her fading mind. She didn't know how the girl was fairing but it couldn't be any better. Eias stared at the man, ready to roll up her sleeves. She may not be the most fit out of people, but she knew how to throw a mean hook. Once the man started going off about Meryl, she really was fed up with the man. She didn't know if it was an outside source or not but she could feel darkness starting to swirl around her. It may not be visible to outsiders, however, the feeling was there. The only thing that stopped her was the mention of Meryl's last toast. When those words were uttered, Eais snapped out of anger and into worry. She looked around for the visage of the spirit, only to see her with the lord once again. She didn't care that the hour of splendor was up. She wanted to warn the girl. It would be out of place but it would be better than loosing her friend... but.. she couldn't throw away all this work. [

"Selene.." she said in a desperate tone. She pulled her off to the side, away from the nobles. "Selene.. I need you to help me. We need to make sure Meryl is safe. You're going to dance with her so you can warn her. She will be stubborn but you must convince her. I have no idea what is going on but we can't take any chances.." The pleading in her eyes was enough to show just how troubled Eias was over this. "Take all the magic if you need it. I will survive. I will find a way." 

Selene was a bit startled when Eias suddenly began to speak to her. Being drawn away from the other nobles during the Hour of Splendor she knew that they would not be suspected of doing anything - if something the others probably assumed that they just wanted a very subtle smooching session, only the two of them... but of course the pirate girl knew better. She looked at her with a solemn, serious expression as she listened to her plea, her face paling when she mentioned the retraction of magic from her. She knew very well that Eias had not worn such tight clothes before and she was fearful for her well being... especially because the girl was now soon to dance with Lord Latosius and if they strayed too far from each other all her spells would have broken. Still... her determination made Selene... shocked.

"My Lady..." she began silently, gulping. She was torn between decisions and she was admittedly very worried for Eias' well being at this point. She swore in herself to be her protector, her guard... instead they not only needed to part but also she wanted to endure on her own. Selene could not decide whether her admiration, respect or fear was dominant in this moment. She closed her eyes momentarily.

"I... I wanted this night to be good for both of us. I wanted to have fun whilst gaining some influence and fame. Alas, I was way too naive... but I have sworn to protect you, My Lady... and I will not forsake my oath."

She put her hand on her own hips, looking at Eias with a sardonic smile.

"But if protecting you means that I can protect the ones you care about... then I shall do it. If Lady Meryl is this important to you... then I shall do my best."

She leaned closer to Eias, giving a kiss to her on her forehead. The lips of Selene were warm and smooth, her emotions flowing through her once again.

"Let us stay here for a bit and relax. I assume the change of seasons shall start soon."

Not a minute later when Selene uttered her words the lights began to dim in the room: the artificial sunlight turned into a pale, white lighting which made the nobles all around to pause in their chatter. The invisible branches of the tree-illusions all around turned shadowy, their white leaves now musty, falling down on the floor: the spring and summer was over, autumn and winter was rapidly approaching. The music turned solemn, beautiful and elegant, soothing the souls of everyone around. The wind started to blow with a chilly fashion, embracing a little cold in the room. Selene stepped in front of Eias in a protective fashion to guard her from the harsh winds as the scenery completely changed around them. The late autumn had more effect on the room than just the environment, though: a magical aura now permeated the halls, intertwined with the evil Eias had sensed but Selene did not. Moments later, a murder of crows started to fly across the room, startling everyone around... and creating a good entrance for the one who was announcing the incoming event. The slender, elegant man manifested seemingly from the flock of birds, clad in ebony black clothes, wearing a mantle which looked akin to raven wings.

Silence befell the room as the birds disappeared and the nobles stared at the man who wore a half mask. He said nothing for a while, just eyed the crowd. Selene turned to Eias.

"It will start soon." she nodded "I suggest we-"

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Fine nobles of Ca-Elum!" the man opened his mouth, his voice magnified by hundreds of spells. His booming voice echoed in the room, demanding undivided attention from everyone "Tonight is the night when we celebrate, we hold toast for everything we have achieved! Tonight is the night when we throw away our worries, or normal selves... and guise all of us into shrouds of utter darkness!"

He snapped with his fingers, darkness flocking around the room as he did so.

"Tonight, under the veil of the Masquerade, we recount the tale of the Twin Wings: how the Raven King and Queen both wandered into a mortal plane to choose their partners for a night where they were nothing more than just simple men and women! When the King and the Queen vanished into oblivion for just one day! Clad in ebony clothes... their faces hidden by masks to hid their identities..."

The man bowed.

"Tonight... the Raven Kind and Queen have both graced us with their presence... but their person is not yet to be revealed... They will dance with everyone, hidden behind their masks... and will watch all of us... and the lucky ones who dance with them shall gain luck... and honor beyond their wildest dreams!"

The crowd applauded... and soon a room wide illusion began to descend upon everyone. The clothes, no matter how vivid and vibrant they were, now all turned into ebony black, giving them a feathery visage. The entire room looked like ravens now... but Selene did not care about this. She knew what was coming now and turned to Eias.

"My Lady... do not fret of what is coming next." she said "It will be uncomfortable at first, almost scary... but I know you can handle it."

Barely had she said that something while began to form on her face... and on the face of every noble. White, ivory masks were now manifesting from thin air, their form just big enough to embrace the face of the nobles, as if each was crafted to fit their size. The mask had two wholes for eyes and very tiny holes for nose... but the mouth part was stoic and unmoving, sealed completely, making speech in them rather difficult... not to mention breathing. Selene felt the mask latching on her face, clutching her tightly, not letting go. She had experienced this before... she knew what to expect... but she knew not how Eias would handle it.

The music now turned into something mysterious... allowing the dances to commence when the nobles were ready.

Eias finally had a sense of relief as Selene agreed. She knew the girl wanted things to be joy filled and easy going but some things were more important. She knew she would have to repay the girl someday because of it. she put her trust in the girl she hardly knew for day but felt the pirate lass would do all she could. Eias let out a wide smile to the girl that reflected her happiness. 

"Thank you." She said with a small bow. 

Not too long after the talk, the atmosphere changed drastically. The area around seemed to grow darker and cold. The essence of fall and winter permeated the hall. She watched with confusion as the announcer came out and spoke of the night. The talk of the Raven King and Queen was rather strange yet everyone seemed to understand. She played her part and just listened for now. Not too soon after, she heard the quick words of Selene. Out of nowhere, a mask collected on the pirate girls face. Eias stepped forward to help the girl only to be met with her own mask. She could feel the suffocating eenclosure now. The make made it hard to sense things and breath. Feeling like a wet towel had been wrapped around her head, She started panicking. She had no idea what to make of this. She could hardly see around her and the lack of air didn't help. Only Selene's words managed to calm her. It may feel uncomfortable, but she was still alive. Alive and moving. What came to mind made sense now. The lord wanted her to sit in that area so he could track her down. Had she known what was going to happen with the masks, she wouldn't have speculated too hard on the idea. 

Nodding her head to Selene, she righted her self. "I will go find the lord now. Good luck with Meryl." she said as best she could through the mask. She slowly made her way to the resting area that her dancing partner told her to go to. She didn't know what was going to happen, but the lord would be waiting for her. Yet, she felt he already knew where she was anyway despite the mask. 

Selene watched in utter silence as the manifestation took place for Eias. She herself was struggling a bit in the disguise but she restrained every fiber in her body from moving, even when she saw the panic in Eias' eyes. Soon enough, though, the Muse seemingly regained her composure enough to calm down... this itself was a test for new nobles: a test how they face and fare the unknown, how they face the darkness around them. Selene vividly recalled the first occasion when she infiltrated the noble parties and faced with similar dilemmas... she almost passed out from hyperventilating beneath the mask but she too had managed to gain ground over her fears... that was the first time when she understood the notion that not every party is about pointless chatter and joy... she came to the conclusion that parties are sort of rite of passages for nobles instead of truly venting their stress... but those who were veterans could do both without any issues of course.

And now hat Eias was here with her she knew what needed to be done.

"I will try my best, my lady." the muffled sound of Selene's words came from underneath the ivory mask, the girl bowing before her mistress deeply "Be careful, my lady... I will retract some of my protective spells from you but will try to keep a tiny bit helping you."

With that said a simple motion of her hand removed the portion of magic from Eias, drinking it in to Selene's own clothes. The girl mumbled something which made her feel a bit better - the pressure against her chest lessened but her guilt about needing to do this still did not let her rest easily. Still, having a quest now she turned around and vanished into the crowd.

She had seen the act of the Raven King and Queen in the past - one of the best screen-plays made in Ca-Elum and an absolute favorite of the people no less. It allowed perfect mingling and dancing for everyone who was taking part in the celebration... and that is what she intended to do now. Walking past dozens of black and white people she sought her partner with vigor. It almost seemed hopeless to find her, honestly, the fact that everyone looked the same made it incredibly difficult for Selene. Her courage almost faltered... when she sensed something to the right of her.

Selene turned her masked visage around to have a better look, the mask hindering her visibility greatly... but what she saw was not something she could have easily missed. A noble woman was standing among the people, her aura was permeated by perpetual magic and her ivory mask had a strange mark on it. No doubt was lingering in Selene as she realized who it was: the Raven Queen was staring in her direction. More precisely... she was staring at her. Knowing that she can not turn down the attention of the main character of the show she stepped closer to her.

The Queen bowed and so did Selene. Offering her a hand the Queen took a step closer to the disguised pirate, her azure blue eyes piercing the very soul of the servant. Selene gulped underneath the mask but stood the heavy gaze with vigor and passion. The Queen said nothing as they began to dance, as if she was testing Selene. The girl did not falter and stared at her partner as she clumsily began moving around, being led by her partner. Little did she notice that the magical aura of the Queen made her own wane into nothingness, completely eclipsing her power and severing any connection she had with Eias. They were alone, the two of them now danced silently at first. But finally her partner spoke up.

"You have my attention, friend of Eias." the voice of Meryl rang true and sound despite the muffled distortion of her elegant mask "Talk... you and I are safe here."

"Hardly that, Lady Meryl." Selene replied with care "You are definitely not... something foul is afoot here... and Lady Eias is worried for your well being."

Meryl did not reply immediately.

"And you think I am afraid?" she finally added.

"No, My Lady... that is why Lady Eias told me to help you see reason."

"Eias was always presumptuous for sure." Meryl chuckled "Her utter devotion is nothing surprising to me... what is new, however... is your devotion to her. Why is that?"

Selene did not reply this time. She felt lucky that they had mask on their face for she blushed really heavily. Meryl, however, needed no confirmation by sound to understand her answer.

"I see." she concluded "Very well, I will listen. Speak... and we shall see what fate is in store for us."

With that the two danced to the music, being enveloped by serenity at last.

The crowd did not seem to notice the lonely Eias waiting at the chair for a partner. They assumed she needed a brief time out or just a little rest from the parade, paying her little attention. All were enveloped in fervor and the heat of the dance: they enjoyed themselves more than anyone on this world, the delirious moment of the dance floor making them feel at ease, free of all burdens... the festivity allowed some much needed secrecy in heir everyday lives to bring them a momentary respite.

The magic around Eias ebbed, at least the magic of Selene did. This was something not even the pirate girl knew: not only were they too far away from each other but the masks and the illusionary black clothes did absorb magical essences to isolate perpetually bound pairs, making them open for anyone to take up for a dance. And this abolishing was working with the protective barriers of Selene as well, sending all the energy back to the girl, unbeknownst even to her. Eias was now truly there, needing to rely on her own inner fortitude.

An enigmatic, tall shadow began to walk through the hall, making its way directly towards the Muse. It was moving comfortably and with meticulous pacing, ensuring that it would arrive just in time to the place where the girl was sitting. It walked effortlessly through the crowded room and when it finally laid eyes on the beautiful girl it smiled.

"A star can wax in the beauty of your presence, Lady Eias." the clear, charming voice of Lord Latosius rang in Eias' mind. The man now stepped out from the crowd, his enigmatic, slender form radiating with terrible power and mystery. His own mask was also white but with a special sign on it: it was obvious that the Lord himself was indeed the Raven King... and the King now wished to embrace the little Muse sitting alone at the chair. His steps slowly and steadily neared Eias, allowing him to create the atmosphere he desired. Looming over the girl the man looked like a terrible demon, his ebony clothes paired with the stoic ivory face were terrifying enough, but his beautiful, seemingly glowing eyes were which made himself terrible... and handsome. Mystery and horror, beauty and terror... these ambivalent descriptions were all that Latosius embodied as the magnificent Raven King, towering above Eias as he stood next to her.

In the next moment, however, something unexpected happened. The Lord dropped to his knee, gently lifting Eias' left, gloved hand, putting it to the face part of his mask, making a symbolic kiss possible.

"I have waited long for this moment, Lady Muse." the voice once more rang clear in Eias' mind. Latosius opted not to actually speak but to communicate through the magical connection of the mind to avoid his voice being distorted by his mask "Long, long time have I waited for a chance... but now you are here... you are here and your beauty eclipses even my beloved Meryls... and not only because of your clothes, might I add..."

The Lord stayed on his knee for now, showing his respect for Eias.

"Please, come and dance with me, Mistress of the Flute. Come and embrace eternity with me on the dance floor."

The world itself seemed to resonate with Latosius' pleas as it allowed the two of them to dance in a secluded spot, bothered by no one. Just the King and a faithful servant. Just an advisor and a young noble. Just the beauty... and the mystery incarnate.

Eias didn't notice at first but her body was slowly giving way. The lingering magic of Selene had faded faster than she had expected. She didn't know the nature of the clothing nor the distance she was from the pirate girl. She just knew that her body was begining to swell with pain. Her breath became hazy and small. Had she known this is what the night would bring, she would have rather stayed at the hotel. Her lungs were set aflame as she sat by herself. Even sitting down had not effect on her breath. She just felt lucky to have the mask that made breath small enough to be regulated anyway. She just had to micromanage herself for the while. 

As she waited, she watched the other nobles dance around. They seemed to pay no attention to the girl. Each time she caught a glimpse of someone watching her, they quickly looked away. With her short breath, she couldn't tell how much time had passed but she was ready to leave the party all together should ht lord not come. Just as the thought crossed her mind, she felt the looming figure near her. she looked up to see the strange looking man who only sent shivers down her spine. 

"H-hello.." she said with both a hint of fear and pain. Before any other words were uttered, her hand was kissed. She didn't know how to take the action. She thought of recoiling it. Perhaps slapping the man. However, she just let it sit in the mans hand. She was just purly shocked. The lord was acting even stranger than before. She didn't know what he had going on, but she didn't feel right. 

"Then it shall be... done." She said as she struggled to stand up. She gasped from the pain of moving so much  but managed to survive. 

"Just... how long have... you been waiting?" She asked truly concerned of how long she had been stalked.

The lord felt the feeble frame of Eias tremble as she stood up. He knew very well what was causing this and he knew what he intended to do about it. He was a gentleman, after all... seeing all this anguish and suffering was not his cup of tea... not like this, anyway. He lead Eias into a quite open spot of the dance floor, carefully playing attention so that the girl would not suffer too much from movement.

"Months unending did my beloved Meryl talk about wonderful people she had met during her travels. Many people sounded particularly interesting to me during that time... but I have to confess that a story of a single person captivated me the most. A story of a Lady with such prowess and magical skill that rivaled one of our best sorcerers. A powerful wizard whose knowledge in the art of healing and protection was without bounds..."

They arrived at the dance floor and the Lord turned to Eias, gently placing his other hand on the girl's hip, the other one still holding her other hand tightly but gently. They slowly, first with his lead, began to dance.

"I... have waited for the moment when I could finally meet a Muse... creatures of legend whose existence always fascinated me more than anything." they now waltzed back and forth, the world seemingly fading away. A midnight colored stream of energy seemed to emanate from the hands of Latosius, flowing directly into the corset and clothes of Eias. Soon enough, her dress and everything did not only have the illusion of a midnight black attire but was now surging with said power as well: this was the sign in the tale when the Raven King found the perfect partner for himself and would not change for another.

In reality this had other, beneficial effects. The magical power of Lord Latosius was not only formidable - it was seemingly intoxicating. The power of the midnight colored spells made pain fade away, making Selene's potent defensive spells look like nothing but child's play, they made the mind clearer, open to many other things never seen before. They cleared the fibers of muscles in the body, allowing strength and blood flow unhindered despite the restrictive feeling... the surge of the advisor's power was so potent that it made wearing tight clothes and a mask to be a trivial, nonexistent stuff. And the Lord did not even seem to phase from the power spent on Eias... he did not even seem to be strained from the exchange.

The room around them now turned null and void: an illusion of course. In the space of this dimly light pocket universe it was only Eias and the Lord himself. They were one in the eternity of darkness.

"Embrace the power of the Void, my lady. A gift from me to you for tonight... may it make you be the envy of the nobility." 

If she could have seen his face she could have seen his genuine smile, but instead she could all but see a mask for now.

"I had to be certain about your worthiness for the cause, my Lady. I was uncertain about the truth as I usually am... bombarded with falsehoods and overstatements. I did trust little Meryl's words but I wished to see you in action... and you did not disappoint. That you brought your friend here, a slave no less, was not only brave but was dedication as well... it is truly not something I anticipated. You are walking on a path of glory which is paved ahead of you by your own actions. Every moment you spend radiating power and beauty among these nobles the more cherished you are becoming... Of course, you already enjoy my trust to an extent: partially because you are a friend of my Meryl... partially because you have shown yourself to be agile enough to handle hardships."

The adviser now chuckled, finally letting out some sound underneath the mask.

"I know though that flattery could only bring me so far... the main lucrative point of talking to me is of course conducting business. And I wished to have a talk with you too." he paused for a moment "The Chess Event which will be announced by Lady Meryl is a secret for everyone but you, for I have mentioned it upon your arrival. I hope you have not changed your mind to be a participant in it... and to offer something else for you in return for participating I decided to sweeten the deal just a bit, so hear me out."

He made Eias twirl around once as his eyes flared for just a moment.

"Take part in the games and conquer my challenges... win and your reward shall be to gain access to the Duchess' domain and to the palace itself. But now you may choose from one extra boon: my Meryl was able to dig up ancient texts hidden away in our archives for the longest time... and found something very lucrative. She had found ancient texts describing Muses: their existence, their powers, their very beings, all the history you ever wanted to know about these powerful spellcasters and their calling... everything is in it to guide you. You may choose this, of course..."

He smiled under the mask.

"Or you may choose... something else. Something that is in my power to grant you: money, freedom, servants, anything that your heart desires. So... what say you, Lady Eias?"

Eias flinched in place as the strange magic came to her. She felt the suffocating feeling, the burning sensation, subside as though water had washed it away. The power of this raven king magic was a strange one indeed. She didn't know if this was the true power of the lord or not. She was just grateful to breath normally once again. Knowing now that the lord only heard of her through tales from Meryl, she wondered what exactly was told. How important did Meryl make her out to be? The muse couldn't help but feel confused. The lord was acting friendly and even generous. Even while mystery still stood, she didn't understand his motives. It seemed... natural. Like he wasn't a bad guy. Had she just judged him too quickly? Did she just need to talk with him all along? She didn't know but she felt she could relax a little bit. At least for the time being. 

At the mention of the chess game, she listened even closer. It was apparently a surprise for the night. Something to spice up the party from previous ones. This could give her an advantage, should she actually be good at strategy. The prizes... they were tempting. She didn't know what to go for should she win. The history of her people, or essentially a wish. Both could lead to greatness or downfall depending on what happened. 

"I... I will think about it. The prizes I mean. This game of chess has been at the back of my mind for a while now. It would be a shame if I let it go to waste... There is one thing though. Apparently something is going to happen with Meryl? I overheard people but I do not know details. If it means anything. I would rather her to be harmed. My friend is with her now, I hope, and should be protecting her. I just wanted to warn you. You two seem... close.Though, knowing your expertise, you probably knew all of this already." She said with a nervous smirk. With any luck, everything would fall into place in her favor. 

Latosius was pleased with Eias' response. Yes, he expected the girl to be brave and to brave these new challenges ahead of her but hearing it from her directly was more than reassuring. He was quite amused how the girl was lost for a moment in the splendor he offered her... after all his power was vast enough to convince almost anyone to grant the wish to the girl she wanted. He had gathered that Eias was not vain or greedy, unlike the nobles here she had a sense of duty and affection towards the one she cherished... and that exactly which made her so unique and so different. That exactly was the one thing which made her... essential.

In more ways than one.

His movements briefly stiffened as Eias mentioned Meryl. Though the pause was but a momentary occasion it was to be felt, his very magic wavering for a split second before he regained his composure. It was clear that whatever he thought about the spirit was in many ways stronger than anything else he had in his mind. His eyes flared as he turned his attention to Eias, his mind finally able to communicate again.

"I can assure you that the Lady will be safe." his mind boomed quietly, his fortitude fading momentarily before returning with vigor "Yes, Meryl was... and still is ill. Something nefarious ails her, something which I yet to cure. I have tried many things before but honestly it was not easy to isolate the... infection. But I do believe I am on the cusp of discovery right now. That... is why it is important for me to have allies that stand by my side... allies I can trust."

His eyes fixated on Eias.

"I feel there is one thing I need to make crystal clear for you, Lady Eias." his voice buzzed with emotion "I am a person whose trust is hard to earn but once it IS earned... I reward those who share mutual respect with me. Those who cross me, however..."

His magic faded for a moment, turning the crushing feeling around Eias' neck and waist tighter for just a moment.

"All I say is it is good to have an alliegence in dark times like these. I am a simple man with simple desires. I aspire neither to rule the world nor to be a hero of legends... but woe upon those who DARE and hurt those I care about. No matter what reason they might have for it... I will defend people I cherish. I believe this belief I need not to explain to you, then."

His surge of emotions quieted, making his mind peaceful once again.

"Let us dance for a little bit more, Lady Muse. The toast of Meryl is soon upon us."

Eias felt the strangeness of his magic waver for the moment. Small tinges of pain shot around her till he managed to regain his mind. She didn't know how to take the sudden weakness. It felt as though Meryl was on his mind constantly if he had this reaction. This thought process didn't last long as the voice boomed in her head. She flinched her head backwards for a moment from the surprise. Even though he was so close, it felt like he was right in her ears as he spoke. All this talk of the spirit being ill was unexpected. Eias knew Meryl couldn't last in Earthland. At least, longer than she already had. It was still crazy to think Meryl had survived this long without fading away. Still, she wasn't happy hearing her friend was sick. With what, the lord did not speak of. she just had to take his word for it. That is all she could do. 

What caught her attention was the rising emotions within him. It was the first time she had seen him not so calm and collected. She felt the clothing wrap around her once more. The very fabric crushing her from all sides. Luckily there was a mask in front of her so no one would see the spittle that was forced out or the bulging eyes. As it subsided from the grace of the lord, Eias took a few heaves to get back her breath. 

She looked up at the masked man. It seemed he wasn't necessarily evil. Just protective. 

She nodded with his request and began dancing with him. There were no words she could say at the moment that would help the situation. The lord had made up his mind. It was just up to Eias now. 

Latosius lead the pair around with seemingly unerring precision. He meticulously paid attention to dance with Eias in the most gentle way possible. He knew how important it was to get a good first impression, especially if the partner of his was someone cherished by Meryl herself. It was a strange thing he sensed when he was around the spirit of wisdom - his duty was for Ca-Elum, so was Meryl's for the longest time... but his bond with her was getting increasingly tighter as the time went on... he wanted to make sure that everything was going according to how he planned... and Eias had a pivotal role in ensuring that the spirit was free of her burdens. He felt this being the only way... he knew this to be the only way.

The seclusion of the dark illusion faded away around the couple as they returned to the reality of the other dancers. In truth, of course, the two of them danced with elegance between the nobles and they only vanished at the Lord's command. They were now the envy of the nobles and Latosius smiled at this. He ensured with this move that Eias name will not be forgotten any time soon. The music now seemed to die down, quieting for a next event to follow. Latosius knew that their time together was coming to an end and he wanted to make sure Eias handled it well.

"The time is night, my lady." the voice chimed in her mind once again "Meryl's speech I must observe from the crowd alone... I must blend in not to get anything suspicious to transpire."

He now gently held the hand of the girl as he followed her back to her seat.

"Sit down, Lady Eias. Your energy now need to be conserved to... survive."

And just as he said that the visage of the masked man seemed to distort. Bowing as a final act of respect his form vanished into thin air, almost as if he had not existed before at all... but in reality he just teleported away into the crowd to remain undetected. With that said, his powers which made Eias' pain and pressure go away vanished... leaving the girl at the mercy of her own spells once again.

The lights lit up just a bit to illuminate the part of the podium where the raven like man first introduced the dance. Now with this pause being a good time for a little chatter between the masked individuals. Soon enough the gracious form of Selene appeared from the sea of people, walking diligently towards Eias with a quick pace. As the disguised, masked girl stepped near Eias she said nothing, her eyes not even looking at her partner. Her hands tied together behind her back she looked at the podium where the announcement was soon be made. But something was strange about her - aside from her eerie silence she had not the protective magical aura around her... nor any sort of her familiar magic attached to her.

Shortly after the appearance of the pirate girl Meryl's form seemed to appear in the spotlight. Her clothes now intertwined with black illusion and her mask pulled off the spirit looked much more mysterious than before. Her skin was pale and exhaustion was even more apparent at her visage... but regardless of this she smiled as she spread her arms out, welcoming everyone.

"Another wonderful celebration we can have here!" she proclaimed with joy as she looked around, welcoming the ovation coming from the people "We had an amazing year with great results in negotiations... a wonderful time where we finally were able to overcome our differences. Tonight we celebrate the progress and the happiness we now sow... and the joy... the joy..."

Meryl had to pause for a moment, touching her throat gently. It was... as if it was being pressured.

"The joy... the joy of... of..." her head shook as she tried to regain composure. Then, as if she was no longer one to speak she continued "The joy of a bitter harvest, induced by spellcasters among our midst."

The crowd murmured at the sharp change of topic. But Meryl continued.

"The sanctity of our glorious city is in peril, my friends. The trouble we face, the storm that is brewing can no longer be ignored. That is why..."

The front door was blasted open, many masked nobles turning their attention to face it. A shadowy figure walked in... a shadowy figure clad in green-black armor, wielding a dagger at her side. A venomous smiled appeared on her face as she spoke in unison with Meryl.

"... we must ensure that leadership falls to people we can trust. Not mongrels... like her."

She now pointed at Meryl who now clutched her throat. Whatever Bellidan was doing to her it was excruciatingly painful, probably.

"And now I have come to negotiate with the nobles, my friends." she said, looking around, her irisless eyes staring at the silent crowd. "With you... about our future. About the future of our country."

It appeared that the nobles did not mind her intrusion. In fact, most of them seemed to be enthralled, embraced by some sort of charm radiating from Bellidan. Only Eias, Selene and presumably the Lord Councilor was unaffected by all this as even Meryl seemed to be trapped in this spell... despite her now being more busy with being suffocated. Bellidan walked up to the podium, seizing the throat of the girl by herself, looking around.

"Where is that pompous magister of yours? Where is the... Muse you are hiding?"

Selene's right arm began to move, slowly but firmly being put at Eias' shoulder. Though saying nothing her intent was certain: she did not want Eias to reveal herself, no matter the cost.

Eias was twirled around as the Lord led her through the crowed of people. At least he was elegant enough at dance to ensure she didn't hit anyone. Still, she felt the movements coming to a slow end as the lord spoke of it being time. She nodded as she was lead back to her seat. Watching the lord vanish into nothingness was quite the sight to see. It left Eias wondering just who that man was. Soon after, she felt her sides shrinking quickly. Holding them tightly with her arms, she did her best to keep focus on something. That something ended up being Selene who was still in the mask and clothing. She just felt it was Selene by the way she felt around her. Her focus went to Meryl as she began her speech. 

Everything seemed to be going well for the most part. That was, besides the pausing of words. Eias would have wrote it off as exhaustion which she too felt. Yet, this was different. She could see the pain in the spirits body. It was as if an outside force was doing it to her. She went to make a move but was stopped by her own body. Once the doors busted in, Eias clenched her teeth. Of all the people to come barging in.... No one seemed to be fearful at this moment. It was like they were all in a trance. She was sure the reason was the special magic Selene and her had at the moment. Feeling the hand come up to her, she knew Selene didn't want her to revel herself. Eias sat back in the chair with her head hung low. Only the corners of her eyes were fixated on what was going down. She couldn't just do nothing though.... Meryl was in trouble. With a quiet huff, she started foaming at the mouth. Out from her mask and underneath her clothing, bubbles were formed and started to float along the ground. They were out of sight as the crowed covered them up well and the masks of everyone made it hard to see them. She may be here, but the woman didn't know which one she was.

She needed to wait for a good opening to hit her. That way, Meryl may not get caught in the blast from the bomb bubbles.

Selene remained quiet as she gazed down at Eias. She was surprised how well did her partner manage to stay strong under the strain of her clothes... even managing to cast a spell it seemed. The girl at first wanted to stop the Muse from acting out but seeing the subtlety of her plan she allowed it to transpire. If anything then she needed to trust the girl in times like this to make the right choice and right decision. She watched as the bubbles slowly but steadily began to sneak towards the podium among the crowd...

Bellidan watched at the writhing girl in her armored palm. She was satisfied, grinning with a sadistic glee as the color from the well dressed lady started to drain. Her goal was not to kill her, at least not yet. She was far too valuable at luring out multiple targets at once. She, however, was surprised that no one answered her taunt, her mocking call... she assumed the noble Muse to run to the side of those she so much wished to protect. Instead... she was alone with the mesmerized crowd, the silence was only to be disturbed by the gasping voices of Meryl.

"Even now you hide behind your cowardice." she spoke up, gloating "How pathetic, sorry excuse you are... I expected more of a challenge from someone like you... can not even wear your clothes properly, relying on others to make you LOOK good... astonishing audacity is what you have alone... a toothless dog who does not even bite..."

"She... she will... make you... pay..." Meryl managed to press out from herself, her visage flinching in agony as she did so. Bellidan turned towards her, her irisless green eyes flaring as she tightened her grip for a moment.

"For a beaten mongrel you still talk too much..." she grinned, enhancing the pain she was transmitting. Meryl began to write in agony, much to the delight of the sadistic assassin.

"No one will save you..."

A blast of amplified darkness shook the room as it was fired out from a secluded corner. Hitting right at her stomach, Bellidan let out a surprised yell as she was propelled against the wall with incredible force, letting Meryl go. The girl, gasping for air, fell to the floor, coughing heavily as she tried to regain composure. The assassin gritted her teeth, managing to stand up after the deceitful blast, staring right at her enemy. But instead of actually showing anger satisfaction sat on her expression.

"So... finally joining the party, My Lord?"

"You have overstepped your bounds, Bellidan." the calm, composed but deadly looking Latosius now stood before the armor clad woman. In his hand a whip like weapon was to be seen, its ends crackling with dark, negative energies. Strangely enough the Lord did not make any attempts at looking at Meryl... his intent was focused on Bellidan alone.

"Have I?" she smiled, waving with her hand "You think I know not what your weakness is? It is right in front of you, foolish old man."

With a sleight of hand she waved at Meryl whose head began to burn with pain. Crying out in anguish the girl could do nothing but stand up, forcing to face the Lord Councilor. Bellidan knew more than anyone that when faced with someone like the girl the Lord became very protective and would lose interest in the fight. Expecting to use her as a living shield was the most obvious thing to do.

And the most foolish one.

Latosius seemingly ignored his beloved Meryl and simply dashed past her, fully knowing that she was not his enemy. Shocked at his resistance, Bellidan seized her dagger in the very last moment to avoid a massive strike from the man and his whip. The two of them, unlike the previous encounter from the lower city, were seemingly equal in power, if not for the fact that the crackling void energy around Latosius prove this theory otherwise. The advisor remained cold and merciless, delivering blow after blow, each time a jolt of twilight thunder trying to hit Bellidan as well. For the first time in a very long while the assassin felt outclassed... and felt that she needed a backup plan somehow.

Her eyes flared and The body of Meryl began to react. Instead of hurrying towards the combatants the girl painstakingly turned towards a pair of armed guards, seizing one of their swords, placing it at her own throat.

"Surrender! Or your beloved falls, old man!" Bellidan hissed.

"Do your worst, witch. You are not the first to challenge me... and you shall not be the last." Latosius snarled, ignoring the threats of the assassin. Though he was worried for the life of the girl he knew he was not alone... trusting that the Muse would find a way out of this situation until he slugged the battle out with her tormentor.

She felt the burning sensation in her lungs as she began making the bubbles. each one was just a small fraction of a much greater magic but once enough were out, she felt the effects of casting a spell in the conditions she was in. She wavered for a moment, falling to the seat once more as though she were about to faint. 

"I... I have this... under control." she said to herself though it could be mistaken for telling Selene. She rose once more, clutching her sides as they could visibly start shrinking once again. She paid no mind to the fact she tasted iron in her mouth. She had her eyes set on the assassin. 

Next thing she knew, the lord was engaged in combat with her. She never really got to see what the lord was capable of and his magic seemed... both in and out of place. How he acquired dark magic was for another day. Right now, he was fighting on Eias's side. At least she hoped. Still, it was a quick little skirmish before Meryl was once again in immediate danger. The guards had her in a position that, should the Lord make a move to them, would kill her instantly. This was Eias's chance. She may not do much damage to Bellidan in her current state but guards were another story. 

The last few bubbles came out in light red color as blood mixed in with them. Any droplets of blood that fell on her were only absorbed by the clothing and vanished without a trace. 

"D-don't... touch... her again." She said both shakily and quiet from across the room. The bubbles surged forward, wrapping themselves around the guards that held Meryl in place. As they coalesced, they took the form of a large bubble hand which was grappling the guards. She moved her hand slightly which lead the hand to smash them to the ground and pin them there.

Hopefully, with Meryl out of danger again, the Lord could battle with some clarity.  

Bellidan did not like how the events were turning out. She did expect some resistance but now she had to admit that she severely underestimated the strength of Latosius. She had studied almost every thread, every possible line of outcome for every occasion that might transpire and every time she expected a weakness to be found to turn the tides... but so far she had found none. Nobody answered her challenge. No attack she was able to deliver... and not even the little girl of the Lord seemed to deter the man from continuing his monstrous assault. He relentlessly struck, again and again, and Bellidan felt a slight despair washing over her. Indeed... she was to lose this battle.

But just as these thoughts swept through her mind she saw movement from the corner of her eye. She saw the rushing bubbles striking at the unsuspecting, enthralled guards, defeating them easily. A slight glee washed over her as she barely could resist the next, incredible blow. Battered and beaten, Bellidan at least now knew that her prey, the one she sought to find was indeed here, hiding in the crowd. Her eyes flaring with malevolent fire, the woman immediately began to look around with her wrathful gaze, finding her opponent. Her excitement was further amplified upon seeing her... struggling with keeping conscious.

"Found you!" her triumphant voice came, suffering a direct hit from the whip right after. Blackened, gooey blood oozed from the wounds the Lord inflicted, the energies of the void seeping into the wound. But Bellidan did not care... not now when she was so close.

The assassin vanished into a darkness, her very being and essence transforming into a poison cloud. She surged through the battlefield, much to Latosius' anger. Immediately, the lord created a harmless shockwave, resonating dark energies which compelled the nobles to part was for him to find the whereabouts of the girl. With all the facade going on Meryl finally managed to regain control over her body. Her memories jumbled, her sight hazy she still managed to look up and see as the dark woman rushed towards Eias. She immediately began her stride towards her... and so did Latosius.

It was without a doubt that Bellidan was faster than any of the girls. Preparing to launch a small scale attack the assassin readied her blade, chanting some unholy words. Selene now jumped in front of Eias in order to protect her from the strike... but she misinterpreted the intent of the woman. Bellidan smiled in the smoke as tendrils of dark-emerald energies seized the masked girl, rooting her in place... only to be blasted immediately after with horrifying dark powers. Selene did let out nothing but a loud grunt, her frail body propelled against the wall, her mask cracking in the process... but something else did happen. A barely visible, bluish shield formed around Eias in order to protect the girl from all harm... but sadly that would not stop their assailant.

"Fall before me, Muse! Wither and die!" Bellidan howled...

And struck.

The dark blade cut through the delicate fabric as nothing, striking through the very flesh of the opponent. Blood poured from the open wound as the girl held it tight with her arms, locking the monstrous assassin down. Bellidan's pale eyes widened in surprise and shock... as she saw the girl Meryl standing inside of her blade... her arms forcing her to stay put.

"Worthless mongrel!" the assassin cried "You sacrifice yourself for a noble? Foolish, weak adviser you are, for sure!"

Meryl looked up and smiled, her pale face reflecting determination. She smiled as blood rolled down her lips.

"Not for a noble." she smiled "For... for a friend..."

The horror of Bellidan's face became apparent when the form of Meryl began to waver. Her very expression became distorted, the elegant form began to shrunk... the illusion, the pretense of the girl had fallen apart. She no longer needed it. It was done with. With all her might she kept the blade frozen, and so did Bellidan froze. She was unable to move. She was paralyzed, not by fear... but by her opponent.

"Did not... expect that... huh?" the bloodied Selene grinned weakly, her entire body shaking as the blade was still deeply embedded within her.

"Have you ever been torn to pieces?" she asked Bellidan coyly "I am certain that our Lord and Lady here would demonstrate it to you now..."

Bellidan struggled... but was struck. She felt the imminent strike of Latosius coming... and she shuddered to fear what Eias had in store for her.

Eias held a small grin as she saw the guards taken down easily. She wasn't sure of the nature of the guard so she kept it as non-lethal as possible. For all she knew, they too were mesmerized by whatever magic the assassin held. Still, something felt off once Meryl was out of harms way. It seemed as though Bellidan was gleefully happy. Even after getting struck. All Eias could see was a piercing stare looking right at her. Fear froze her in place as she continued to hold her sides. Even if she tried to break away from those eyes, she wouldn't move fast enough. She would be an easy target no matter what. As the Assassin minimized the distance between them with god like speed, Eias shut her eyes tight as she awaited her fate. She was out of magic besides what was keeping her from being crushed and had no more energy to move. One last cough came from her as she tried to call out to Aeris once more. She heard a thud behind her as she noticed Selene had been blasted backwards. Her mask cracked, Eias looked in horror of what would happen to them. 

Her head snapped back to Bellidan who had their sword risen. Quickly, it fell towards her and Eias expected to be met with a horrid pain. She waited... and waited... and waited. Something wasn't right... She didn't feel like she had gotten hit. She opened her eyes and an even worse fate came. She saw Meryl holding the sword even after getting impaled with it. It took but a second for the tears to start forming. 

"Th-this can't be happening." She said with fear. To her utter confusion, she witnessed an illusion fading. So life would have it, Meryl had not been struck, but Selene instead.

With her friend gravely wounded, she started to go dark in her mind. She wasn't thinking about anything else but the dark feelings that surrounded her. She was done with watching friends sacrifice themselves for her. She was done watching them get hurt. She was... done. As if on queue, darkness swirled at her feet. Be it her own internal power or that of corruption, she didn't care. She simply stood up with ease. Whatever had overtaken Eias had given her a magic boost she so desperately needed. 

A melancholic humming echoed all around. It was as if it had been centered on Bellidan herself. She got a front row seat to all the dark emotions of eias. The malice that had been weaved into each note only for her to hear. Eias strode up to her with grace as she held a hand out. Soon, the assassin would be held in the air by the throat from Eais.

"You dare challenge me?" She asked with monotone voice.

Latosius came to a halt as he observed the unfolding events. His horror was less evident than of the others'... seemingly he knew about the exchange or at least he expected Meryl to do something like that. The girl talked about such plans subtly, hinting at some strange charades she willed to play. But to think that the servant girl would actually step into the blade of the assassin to see Eias' safety through... that moved him a bit even if he did not want to show at all. Still, he knew that there was no time for sentimental responses... he wished to help the slave girl and finally make Bellidan pay for her crimes.

But that notion was soon put to the grave.

Eias, as if renewed with some unholy vigor, rose up from the seat she took just before. Her figured was scarier, more distinct than ever before, malevolent, hateful energies emanated from her which made even him to stop in his tracks and think what he was seeing. The immense power which now enveloped her was something he respected... and feared. He had heard rumors of course... rumors which indicated the two scales of the balance which had to be managed if one was a Muse. To see the darker side this time was... bone chilling.

Bellidan relinquished her grasp on her weapon as the figure of Eias seemingly towered above her. As she was effortlessly lifted from the ground she already knew that she had made yet another critical mistake: she underestimated how powerful the bond was in Eias' heart and her powers. It was rather... fearsome. The assassin gasped for air as she tried to flee from the terrifying grasp of the Muse... but her efforts were all in vain. She knew that with all the punishment she had taken she would not be able to flee easily. She struggled to maintain her consciousness as she felt her throat being crushed by the grip.

The blade now fell out from the body of Selene, the girl coughing up a little more blood as she fell to the floor. Her wound was not a gaping one but it still made blood to escape from it, the carefully crafted fabric stained with the flowing fluids from her body. She was barely breathing, something that was made very apparent when her vain attempts at getting some strength within her was met with incredible pain, causing the girl to writhe in agony. She, however, lacked the strength to do anything...  so she just waited for her fate.

The mask finally fell from her mask as she rubbed her head after the impact. Meryl, dressed up in Selene's clothes finally regained control over her senses and opened her eyes, only to find such a horrid image to unfold in front of her. Her eyes widened in fear as she saw how monstrous Eias had become... and fear gripped her heart.

"Eias, no!" she screamed in fear, finally managing to stand up. The restrictive clothes made it hard for her to move to the girl but she pushed on, tried to reach the Muse to reason with her... and hopefully make her return to her normal state if she could do it.

"Eias please... don't do this! A Muse is... you are better than this!" she pleaded with her, gently putting her hand on her shoulder.

"Think of the attrocities she had wrought... the pain she left behind... Surely... surely you do not want to walk down that road..."

She wept few tears.

"Please... Eias... please... see reason..."

In truth she was not really worried about Bellidan's well being... but seeing the dangerous look in Eias' eyes...

"You scare me..."

Eias watched as the assassin was visibly regretting her decision. She may be powerful but she still made big mistakes. Still, she hurt one of her friends horribly and for that she had to pay. She noticed how everything was staring at her now. The lord seems still stoic as always though Eias could feel even him being shook by the event. Before her was Selene who collapsed to the ground, bleeding out. 

The last thing that caught her attention was Meryl urging her to stop. Though it did tug at Eias, she was basically a new person right now. Her eyes narrowed as she glared at the assassin. Her had clentching more as the seconds passed. She was so close to ending the girls life but something echoed to her.

"you scare me." 

It rattled in her mind which only made her angrier. A deep fear of hers was to be seen as such. She tried so hard to be just the opposite. She wanted to be seen as kind. All people ever really saw in her now was this muse power and she hated it.

as her eyes rolled to Meryl. They began watering. Her teeth became bare as she clenched her jaw. Finally, she brought the assassin face to face with her. She could see the suffocation she was under.

"you got lucky." She said as she stared at her a few moments longer. Next, Eias coughed. She coughed up blood as a small drop landed on the assassins face. The look of Eias changed from dark and menacing to weak and frail. The hand that gripped the throat loosened before dropping to the girls side. With magi. Spent and the crushing feeling of the corset coming back, Eias fell to the floor slowly loosing consciousness. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back